[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An IRL Chainsword

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

File: BA_Chainsword.png (138KB, 846x143px) Image search: [Google]
BA_Chainsword.png
138KB, 846x143px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gj8pAN7Y7E
Would you buy it?
>>
>>49829231
it's literally just a chainsaw with a 40k skin, would send back and ask for refund under British Law
>>
>>49829248
>expecting a bunch of blacksmith/armorers to build a chainsaw from scratch

You fucking what?
>>
It's pretty great.

I like that they actually did a long video for once, too many of their build videos skip out on huge parts of it
>>
>>49829419
no I expected a truescale one for guard
>>
>>49829248
Thats what a fucking chainsword is you autist
>>
>>49829248
>Implying you can buy anything that can be construed as a "weapon" under British Law
U avin' a giggle m8?
>>
>>49829813
>what are hobby knives?
>>
>>49829231
It's impressive, I would have liked it if the teeth on the chain was thicker
>>
>>49829813
>Ay dat a butter knifey, gov'ner?
>Nah, constabulary I swear on me mum
>Well it looks to me, to da gallows with ya.
>>
>>49829419
No. I expected them to at least modify it enough for it to be hand held and less wide around the motor. Mod the motor to stretch out the components along the blade axis rather then have it be literally unwieldable.

Or don't do it.

Better to never do it then fuck it up horribly. At least when it comes to putting it out to the public. Keep your horribly built shit to yourself.
>>
>>49831005
>Autism speaks
>>
>>49831005
Okay Anon, i'm gonna need to see your masters in engineering.
>>
File: 145[1].jpg (25KB, 805x526px) Image search: [Google]
145[1].jpg
25KB, 805x526px
>>49831047
Even without building a motor from scratch, there were at least half a dozen solutions that would look better.
>>
>>49831347
>A pneumatic chainsaw
>Implying that you would have not decried the presence of multiple gigantic air hoses trailing off the pommel
>>
File: Im enjoying this 2.png (718KB, 838x911px) Image search: [Google]
Im enjoying this 2.png
718KB, 838x911px
>>49829231
>All this detail
>They even added a purity seal
>>
>>49831347
So, you suggest a pneumatic, with fucking hoses instead? Holy shit you're dumb and would have complained no matter what the fuck they built.
Have you ever been happy, anon, ever?
>>
Maybe they could have used a battery powered chainsaw and have some sort of backpack for the battery, some sort of powerpack.
>>
>>49832064
Have you seen such contraptions in 40K?
>>
I wonder if they can do an Eviscerator, or that one giant chainsword the Flesh Tearers Chapter Master uses.
>>
>>49831005

There's really no way to make an actual chainsword that works because the actual concept is stupid as fuck. I mean, totally awesome but completely stupid.
>>
>>49831005
>Put all this incredibly heavy, delicate shit ON THE BLADE
>the blade that is designed to rip and tear through matter, leaving a mess of debris to clog the inner working of said delicate, heavy shit
>that'll be much better!
40K tech is usually pretty retarded on just about every level, but even they understand that you keep the driving mechanism of a weapon off the fucking blade. It would be Right Orky to swing around a running engine block on a 10ft pole, but the idea here was to create a WORKING replica of ridiculous, implausible bullshit future weaponry, not invent it from the ground up. Put your hateful spergboner back in your pants and shut the fuck up, you goddamn spaz.

>>49831763
I'm sure some basement loremaster would fluff it as hooking into the armor so it can run indefinitely on some bullshit Space Marine fartbladder.
>>
>>49832746
>the actual concept is stupid as fuck.

I dunno man, two-inch teeth are gonna ruin your fucking day if it even glances you. It may not cut all the way through you, but it's DEFINITELY going to rip through some of your soft parts and tear muscles from their ligaments.

Chainsaws and sawblades in general are not a joke.
>>
>>49833084
It's going to get stuck halfway inside the target and not coming out until you push it all the way through, or stalls with all the metal, blood, guts, and other chunks going into the blade.
>>
>>49833084

But they aren't good weapons, that's the problem. Sure getting hit with a chainsaw will fuck up your day but the guy using it can kill maybe one or two more dudes assuming he can even get it out of your body before the guy behind you comes at him with an axe. And even if he does get it out it'll be so gummed up with flesh, blood, bones and other assorted gore that'll stop working.
>>
>>49833204
>trying to justify 40k
remind me since when was this board so retarded
>>
>>49833258
>remind me since when was this board so retarded

The fuck are you talking about? This board justifies having sex with a lizard-woman with tits. We've always been this retarded.
>>
>>49833137
>It's going to get stuck halfway inside the target and not coming out until you push it all the way through, or stalls with all the metal, blood, guts, and other chunks going into the blade.

I think you underestimate how incredibly soft human tissue is (that isn't bone), and how easy it is to remove a chainsaw that has been specifically designed to cut through soft tissue (as a chainsword almost certainly would be) so long as you don't release the throttle and the chain is moving at a decent speed. It can seriously damage bone in less than a second, and shatter it in only a few moments more.

Even then, you don't have to cut all the way through a guy - even two or three inches deep would be almost 100% fatal in the chest area as it shreds your organs, and and it would cut such deep gouges into bone just from a passing blow that it would render it near useless, let alone be incredibly agonizing for the person suffering it.

Furthermore, with the very jagged nature of a chainsaw (especially one with teeth as long as a chainsword) means the wounds are jagged and torn to shit, making them bleed much worse and making it significantly harder to treat. Most people who get a serious chainsaw wound bleed out in minutes without major medical treatment, and that's only going to be shorter when you're having to maneuver and fight in close combat and be unable to stop your bleeding.

TL;DR Chainsaws are super-lethal, and people are frail.

>>49833204
>And even if he does get it out it'll be so gummed up with flesh, blood, bones and other assorted gore that'll stop working.

That's something that is (theoretically) fixable with specialized design, and is done even today. That said, it's very expensive to do so.

Is the weapon cost-efficient? Today, fuck no. Is it perfect? Not in the least. Is it lethal and reliable enough against a specific threat that it could be effectively used on the battlefield? Yes, with reasonably minor problems being solved.
>>
>>49833530
Ermagerd seriously under extremely specific circumstances literally any tool in the world could fit the criteria of your last sentence. Give me five minutes and I could come up with a contrived situation where a toothbrush could be an imperfect but reliable enough weapon.
>>
I'm 5 minutes in; when does the finished sword bounce back and horribly maim the wielder?
>>
>>49833709
Go on. It's 7:54. Five minutes for a toothbrush as a weapon. Go!>>49833758
>>
>>49833819
What is a prison shiv for 500 please Alex.
>>
>>49833530
maybe that's what's under the top sheath that we rarely see them without?
the parts that clean out the gummed up bits and straighten out the teeth ready for the next bite.
>>
>>49833872
But that's universally applicable to any price of plastic. Why not just sharpen a chunk of plate, splooge on some underwear for a few months, and use the rock hard crusty briefs as some sort of tighty whitey mighty fighty?
>>
>>49833974
Because a tooth brush is vaguely knife shaped and can be quickly shaved down for stab at motherfuckers while you keep good dental hygiene.
>>
>>49834017
stabbing at, my apologies.
>>
>>49833709
Anything can be a weapon if you're holding it right.
>>
>>49833709
>Ermagerd seriously under extremely specific circumstances literally any tool in the world could fit the criteria of your last sentence.

Chainswords would be (theoretically) good against soft targets like lightly armored humans, Nids, kinda-sorta Orks, and other softer targets, and seeing as how other humans and Orks are some of the most common foes of the Imperium, it's appropriate to arm them with one. It's cheaper than a Power Weapon, and better than a knife (which they still get), so it's usually worth the purchase if you're pretty sure you're going to be getting stuck in.

>tighty whitey mighty fighty?

Kek
>>
>>49834893
And circular saws would be amazing against wood-based enemies like Groot!

The other option here is to accept that Chainswords survive by the Rule of Cool and not commit yourself to logical fallacy gymnastics to justify the stupid things further than that. 40k is not, and has never been, a thing that attempts to find a legitimate context for its output. Chainswords weren't debated for their real-world potential, but I imagine the conversation went something more like this: "hey, chainsaw swords would be really cool." And thus it WAS. Timshel!
>>
File: Commissar-Fuck_Yeah.jpg (40KB, 330x367px) Image search: [Google]
Commissar-Fuck_Yeah.jpg
40KB, 330x367px
>>49829231
>>
>>49829231
>Would you buy it?
No it's shit./
>>
>>49829231
Okay, this is rad.
>>
>Can't hold it single handed without a table rest

weak human flesh
>>
>>49835657
Well they did make it to Astartes Scale.
>>
>>49829248
>implying GW won't sue your ass.
>>
They did a pretty sick job all things considered.
>>
>>49831047

Okay in this case, yeah >>49831005 is being a legit autistic stain.

The fact they did it at all as a bunch of blacksmiths is damn awesome
>>
>>49835350
>and not commit yourself to logical fallacy gymnastics to justify the stupid things further than that.

Literally what logical fallacies were committed in his comments.
>>
>>49833137
You don't want a piece of steel stuck halfway into you.
>>
>>49829813
You can buy all kinds of shit, you just have to tell someone what you're buying.

If you've got a firearms licence nobody is going to get shitty about you adding to your collection, you just get it all taken away if you start waving them around at other people.

Which is exactly the same situation as the US, just legislated differently.
>>
>>49837018
The only thing you have to tell people you're buying are firearms you're going to shoot (antiques don't need invoicing or informing). That's it. Everything else you can buy and sell; so victorian revolvers? Buy them like cabbages.. Swords, halberds etc? Don't have to say a word. Crossbows? Just have to be 18, no paperwork. Air rifles? If under 12 ft lbs then the shop keeps a record that you bought it, but that's all it has to do.
>>
>>49831005
Fucking agreed, go all the way or don't bother. A case mod like this is pretty half-assed.
>>
>>49829856
>illegal
>>
>>49831005
>least modify it enough for it to be hand held
it is, for a space marine

While I too hoped they made it capable to easily used in human hands, I was still pleased and awed by the end product because they did what they said they were going to do: Make a Chainsword from the Blood Angels space marine chapter.
I was a little disappointed that in some scenes they had to take off the cover, it was still quite cool
>>
>>49829231
>no bucking spikes
It's like you don't want a face. Swinging a chainsaw as-is is already the most retarded thing you could possibly do, as it's more likely to bounce off whatever you swing it at than to catch and dig in.

Now we also have a sword handle in the mix, as if you needed even less leverage to cut into whatever you're swinging at.

And let's assume that wasn't an issue. Let's just say it actually worked and you caught somebody in the chain: you've now fucked your piece because you have a substantial amount of human ick gumming up your gears.

Chainsaws are for cutting shit, namely shit that is holding very still and is very heavy and not goo-filled.
>>
>>49837018
>you can buy all kinds of shit
oi m8 you guys got some bike wheels over there?
I need some seriously heavy firepower
>>
>>49831005
>Better to never do it then fuck it up horribly. At least when it comes to putting it out to the public. Keep your horribly built shit to yourself.

I agree, which is why I fail at life. All the great success stories start with somebody who doesn't care if their thing is bullshit, they're still gonna shove it in everybody's face.
>>
Holy fuck that's a lot of autism
>>
>>49829419
>>49831005
Honestly most Chainswords look more like hedge trimmers as far as the length of the blade bits compared to the drive chain. And that seems really impossible to manage a good body for.
>>
>>49831822
they did you fucking autist
>>
>>49844933
Anon, you dumb...
>>
>Chainswords would be (theoretically) good against soft targets like lightly armored humans, Nids, kinda-sorta Orks, and other softer targets,

They really wouldn't be

>Swing chainsaw at somebody
>They raise their own melee weapon to parry
>bits of chainsaw go flying everywhere

Like, at least the marine is going to be protected from his own weapon flying to pieces by his armor, but if you're going to have a weapon that's bound to fuck up, you might as well make it metal as fuck like a shaped charge hammer.

Chainswords would make a lot more sense if they were power weapons, but then they'd have to be actually good in game. iirc, there are one or two special ones which are power weapons, but they are expensive.
>>
>>49829231
It's shit
>>
>>49829231
>its not a functioning power fist
whats even the point?
>>
>>49845884
>>bits of chainsaw go flying everywhere

This can be solved by making insanely strong chain, or making teeth composed of/welded with weaker metal than the chain so that it would detach before dislodging the chain.

Is this practical today? Fuck no, that's expensive as hell.

Is it possible to do? Absolutely.

Furthermore, one of the advantages of chainswords (in fluff) is that the teeth can catch an enemy weapon, and actually throw it out of their hand (or at least fuck up their swing), and the side-guards add structural rigidity to it.

Again, this isn't practical today, and all examples of chainsaws today are devices that aren't built to be wielded in combat against an armed foe, with the material composition to match. 27K years into the future though? It's a lot more believable.
>>
>>49829231
It looks like a great fail to me.
>>
>>49844933
That's what he's saying, you jizzard wizard.
>>
>>49829870
KEK
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.