[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you more of a Jenny, Tammy or Spikeisha, /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 10

File: MTG-logo1.png (455KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
MTG-logo1.png
455KB, 512x512px
Are you more of a Jenny, Tammy or Spikeisha, /tg/?
>>
I don't know, man. But Red Deck is best Deck
>>
>>49825127
I don't know but you're mad that people want more than just you as a target audience.
>>
>>49825441
Add some Green there and I'll agree.
>>
Magic is such a shit game that really needs to die.

So many other games do the whole 'dueling mages in a card game' aspect better. Magic is probably one of the worst, bloated games out there but it is still popular.

If you like it, play it, I ain't gonna hate you for it, but you should really expand your horizons to other titles.
>>
>>49825487
>Yes my anime waifu game is far superior and only for mature gamers like myself. Aren't the panties on my J Ruler so cute?
>>
Collectable card games are a cancer that needs to be wiped out.
>>
>>49825487
Name one that isn't anime, Hearth stone, or only been around for less than 5 years.
>>
>>49825543

Epic is better
Ashes is better
Mage Wars is better

None of them are weeb.
>>
>>49825583

Mage Wars is the only that beat that five year limitation you placed.

If you just want a competing card game without the dueling mages aspect, Call of Cthulhu is better.
>>
Taking the dueling mages out of the equation.

Warhammer invasion (dead now though)
Android Netrunner
Star Wars
Game of Thrones

All are LCG titles from FFG though.

Doomtown is supposedly better but I haven't played it so I can't say if it is or isn't.

Magic uses a dated mechanic really. The resource management is dated, the deck buying aspect is dated, the possibility of being fucked by card draws is pretty dated to be honest.

It needs a serious revamp to be honest, but nobody is doing it because it is a holy cow. I feel the same way about D&D.
>>
>>49825651
Not unless we get a new format for magic,
How about cube format with lands being a seperate deck. Would that fix it..
>>
File: thumbsup.webm (254KB, 1280x532px) Image search: [Google]
thumbsup.webm
254KB, 1280x532px
>>49825651
>Magic uses a dated mechanic really. The resource management is dated, the deck buying aspect is dated, the possibility of being fucked by card draws is pretty dated to be honest.
>It needs a serious revamp to be honest, but nobody is doing it because it is a holy cow. I feel the same way about D&D.
>>
>>49825679
>lands being a seperate deck.
Please stop this stupid meme, that's not how the game is played. If you don't like it then play something else, as some other spegs have so helpfully pointed out there are """plenty""" of other games that are """better""" than MtG so why don't you try one of them instead?
>>
>>49825127
None of them.
I'm Melvin.
>>
>spikeisha
Goddamn, I wish the SJWs would just finish off this game already, I'm tired of what they've done to it

Anyway, Magic is 100% luck. You don't get to choose what you get from a booster, from the starting hand, from your deck, what your opponent is playing...

Its awful.

If it were an ACTUAL skill based game, there wouldn't be drawing or mana or oppponents. There would be t1 decks and no "limited" garbage, and there would be a lot more publicity of such a fantastic new game
>>
>>49825792
If there were no variance then the game would get boring and stale very quickly and wouldn't get any publicity because it had no lasting appeal
>>
>>49825127
Whatever I am, I'm a slut

Give me your hot dog, faggot
>>
>>49825802
>no variance
You mean like Chess and Go? games with no land, resource management, or random draws? Fuck, I guess we need to tell all those people that those games need to shut down
>>
>>49825784
Normie, I'm a Melthos.
>>
>>49825826
There is variance in Chess and Go
It's called "an opponent"
>>
>>49825894
Almost as if its a skill based game and not one based on who buys better cards and has more luck
>>
>>49825725
The game is modular with rules changing based on format...
If I actually put effort into it, I can play Force of Will with MTG cards, though double faced legends are rare.
>>
>>49825487
>playing magic to RP as dueling mages
Nobody does that.
People play magic because of gameplay. It's easy to get into with a decently high skill ceiling and shit tons of customization options.
>>
>>49825127
Jenny
>>
>>49825679

To be completely honest, Epic fixed a lot of the problems with Magic by removing the random resource mechanic from the game.

I am still shocked it exists when it can easily be called Magic the Gathering with no lands and it would be a pretty spot on description of the game.

It also fixed the bad draw mechanic by there being options right of the gate no matter what your opponent brings to the table and a typical game might have as many as five or six board wipes before beating the other guy down.

It is very much, 'When everything is broken, nothing is broken' in action and as such I had a lot more fun with that game than I have had with Magic in many years.
>>
This is a poorly constructed bait thread.

Just a reminder, report these threads and we won't have to deal with this kind of bullshit.
>>
>>49825127
>Jenny, Tammy or Spikeisha

Mostly Tammy/Timmy and a little bit Jenny/Johnny. I'm not Spike at all; I'm just not bloodthirsty enough. There's no such thing as "Spikeisha." They used the same term for both.
>>
I love how LCG cucks come out of the woodwork to shit on MtG. They must have lots of free time considering they don't have anybody to play with
>>
>>49826383
>'When everything is broken, nothing is broken'
And that is exactly why it's gonna die very quickly.

Magic wouldn't be 23 years old if it wasn't designed around variance and didn't have booster-based sales. FFG can't just keep publishing new Netrunner material even every year, much less every two months, because the ammount of testing would be ridiculously prohibitibe and result in breaking the game or having to make every new edition self-contained defeating the purpose of keeping a line instead of just buying a new IP's card game rights like they do now.

I bet you couldn't even design 200 cards for a game system with on-demand resources without breaking it. And 200 is a pittance.
>>
>>49826443
Better yet, do as we used to and turn it into something useful.

So, what is the card game you'd actually want to be playing, if not Magic: the Gathering?
Setting? System? Any special gameplay quirks you've always wanted to see in a card game?

I'd be content with just having a tightened UFS with the Pathfinder Iconics as protags.
>>
>>49827705

>Being broken means it will die quickly
>Talking about magic

How many times has Magic had to straight ban shit almost as soon as it comes out because it is broken as fuck? They don't playtest for shit either and just rely on wiping the board every god damned year and re-releasing the same core cards over and over again.

Magic isn't a good game, it is a familiar one and many are objectively better.

Also, claiming Magic being 23 years old is not a positive point, anon. It is old and dated and hasn't had a drastic revamp despite better mechanics hitting the gaming scene over the past decade.

It has major flaws but, it will stick around because of the fleecing gameshops get out of selling commons and rares for buck or 50 cents after paying a dime and nickle for them. A whole bunch of mark-up sells keeps shit floating for a long time and that is why gaming shops won't get rid of it. Because gaming shops won't stop selling a money maker for the aftermarket it dominates space and is common ground for people who go to those shops to play games with.

It isn't a good game, it is a fucking pyramid scheme that won't die because people cling to it despite it being outshone.

I respect what Magic did in a lot of ways and lord knows I was playing it back in the mid to late 90's but it needs to change drastically before I and many people I know who used to play it will get back into it.
>>
>>49827705

Also

>You can't make a balanced card game with 200 cards

I wasn't aware Magic card creation was the realm of just one fucking dude.
>>
>>49828021
>How many times has Magic had to straight ban shit almost as soon as it comes out because it is broken as fuck?
About twice?
>>
Guys, it's a bait thread, so clearly this guy is baiting too.

>>
Isn't scry and other mechanics likes investigate designed to smooth out card draws so gameplay is doesn't result in as many dead draws?

The same way they are printing so many dual lands with multiple uses so people can access them cheaply.
>>
I heard casters use jenny/Tammy, do people actually say "spikeisha"? Isn't Spike already pretty gender neutral? Isn't using a name to assume a gender already what they crusade against? I'll never understand sjw-ism
>>
>>49826504

thatsthejoke.jpeg
>>
>>49828190
Once actually. Very few cards have been banned during their Standard runs, only Memory Jar has ever been banned on-release, the second shortest lifespan was Skullclamp with 3 months.
>>
>>49828511

I remember the long lifespan that Jace the Mind Sculpter had and Vault of Whispers.
>>
>>49828021
>How many times has Magic had to straight ban shit almost as soon as it comes out because it is broken as fuck?
Actually, to give them their due, not that often.
>>
>>49828021
>It is old and dated and hasn't had a drastic revamp

Rules:
>6th edition rules changes (completely threw out the Batch system in favor of the Stack) (1999)
>complete change to the Legend rule for Kamigawa (2004)
>Magic 2010 rules changes (no damage on the stack, no mana burn) (2009)
>technical changes to returning mechanics to close loopholes (Convoke and Delve changed from "reduces the cost by {1}" to "pays for {1}"; Madness discards into exile to dodge graveyard removal in response to the madness trigger)

Card art/design:
>Drastically revamp the card frame for 8th edition (2003)
>Moderately revamp the card frame for Tarkir (2014)
>use drastically altered card frame for Planar Chaos (2007) and the back of DFC's (2011)
>use altered card frame for miracles, enchantment creatures and enchantment artifacts, Devoid cards, expeditions, vehicles, masterpieces

Story:
>The Mending in Time Spiral (2006) changed Planeswalkers from gods to humans and made all other planar travel impossible, drastically changing both the universe and the kind of stories that can be told in it
>The Gatewatch changes how stories are told, from "travel to a new plane with new characters and no fixed points" to "always have a few central characters to follow."

How sets are made:
>Maro literally has Magic's design divided into six (so far) distinct ages; he has studied this and written articles about it like a fucking historian
>New World Order was MaRo declaring that the entire design and development process needed to change, and permanently impacted nearly a third of all new cards going forward

And in general:
>the Un-Sets and Future Sight were literally, "Hey let's try a bunch of off-the-wall new ideas and see what we can use!" and dozens of cards and mechanics have since come out of these experiments
>Planar Chaos was literally, "what would happen if the entire color pie was a little different?"
>Dredge accidentally created a way of playing Magic that's not remotely recognizable
>>
>>49828511
I thought Mental Misstep was banned before it was even released, or something ridiculous like that.
>>
>>49828264
Remember, if something exists, an SJW can make it "better"
>>
>>49829865
No, it was banned in legacy and restricted in vintage after it became an auto 4-of in every deck
>>
>>49829865
Nope, it's banned in Modern and Legacy but is legal in Block and was legal in Standard, albeit useless.
>>
>>49829911
This is honestly what pisses me off the most about the whole movement. I don't give a shit that you want to tell other people that you identify as a toaster, but they just can't let other things be what they are. Everything has to be for everybody or else it gets shouted down as "racist/sexist/ableist/whatever" and all that other meaningless bullshit
>>
>>49825792
The "spikeisha" is bait, you wingnut
>>
Jenny. Get fucked OP.
>>
>>49828264
>do people actually say "spikeisha"?

No they don't.
>>
>>49829939
This is why normal, right-thinking beings know to exclude SJWs, or at the very least make them know that their backwards hatred is unwelcome in the real, bill-paying world.
>>
>>49830002
That's why all of the game companies are siding with them, right? Your time's up. Get rekt.
>>
>>49830027
Game companies "side" with SJWs because they think any publicity is good publicity so they do these little meaningless things for SJW brownie points so that these people post on social media about how "progressive" they are as if that were any way to measure how fun or good a game is. Companies are on the side of making money, not of progressivism
>>
>>49829827
>liking the gatewatch
>liking MaRo
>liking NWO
>>
>>49829915
>restricted in Vintage
It isn't, though. It's still a 4-of in almost every deck.
>>
>>49830090
>NOT LIKING MARO
BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT MARO
>>
>>49830116
Ebin
>>
>>49830100
Shit you're right, I just assumed that every card that gets banned in legacy automatically gets restricted in vintage
>>
>>49830122
Maro is a DESIGN GOD
>>
>>49825127
>Spikeisha
You are not trying hard enough, come on.
>>
File: SPELLS EVERYWHERE.png (207KB, 286x395px) Image search: [Google]
SPELLS EVERYWHERE.png
207KB, 286x395px
HEY GUYS WHAT'S GOING ON IN HERE?
>>
>>49830130
Nah, the formats are really different.
>>
>>49830296
How's that nerf treating you?
>>
File: it's testing time.jpg (62KB, 356x426px) Image search: [Google]
it's testing time.jpg
62KB, 356x426px
>>49830248
I really hope you're false-flagging.
>>
>>49830312
DELET THIS
>>
>>49830327
I am not his Nuts&Bolts series is basically the CCG design bible.
>>
>>49829827

>They changed the borders of cards
>That totally fixes all of the major mechanic issues like mana flood/screw, you guys!

The rule changes you mentioned fixed fuck all with the core problems inherent in MtG, bro.

If you like it, play it, but it is objectively a shitty game compared to others out there now and could stand for a major revision.
>>
>>49830353
Well your stupid way of replying is making it seem like false flagging.
Nuts & Bolts is a great tool, and maro has some good ideas, but I wouldn't say "DESIGN GOD" and he clearly also has some biases and bad ideas. Like Goblin Test Pilot, which he admitted he came up with while still half asleep.
>>
>>49830116
>>49830248
MaRo has spouted some of the worst ideas for magic
>let's ditch the legend rule because it's sooo haaaard to design legendaries for standard
>let's ditch handsize because unnecessary rules baggage for new players, magic must be all about new players, fuck anybody who has played five games of magic in theiir life, simplify everything
>let's add subtypes to instants and sorceries like fire, lighting, ice, because that's nothing like broken-ass tribal effects
>>
>>49830376
Flood/Screw is usually form poor deck building or mulliganing. Very rarely will it just happen on its own. Important games are even best 2/3 so it's not going to make you lose a match.
It's just more memorable when it does happen. The land system gives more than it takes.
>>
>>49830409
So bhe is literally staking the fate of his company on half-assed choices that he makes while half asleep.

He's a useless high-pitched whiny beta who needs to have a dozen Spikes (SPIKES, not "spikesha" you ugly fat black shit) drag him into the street and shout "PLAYTESTING" as they throw him into a busy street
>>
>>49830439

That legendary rule one actually pisses me off a lot because I think there's a lot of cool designs that come from "you really shouldn't have more than one of this in play at a time," which legends allow for.
>>
>>49830439
>>let's add subtypes to instants and sorceries like fire, lighting, ice, because that's nothing like broken-ass tribal effects
To be fair he has said that doing this is impossible now because it's an all or nothing thing like Tribal so just adding it willy nilly creates similar problems
>>
>>49830444
A single uncommon isn't the fate of the company. It was a stupid, terrible idea, yes, and maro isn't nearly as great as fanboys would spout off on, but you're being pretty unreasonable here.
Also, AGAIN, no one actually says "spikesha" that was OP's stupid bait. "Spike" is gender neutral and never got a specific feminine counterpart.
>>
>>49830491
>spikesha
Spikeisha.
>>
>>49830409
>>49830439
Name one CCG designer greater than MaRo. He took Richard Garfield's mess and made it work on the long term.
>>
>>49830491
So EITHER the Chief Designer is making irrelevant decisions that have no impact, or he's making decisions that are risking the company.

Hmm. Did you know that most bicycles don't utilize their gear system for when the rider is BACKPEDALLING AS HARD AS THEY POSSIBLY CAN
>>
>>49830542
i'm just gonna tell ya to stop baiting ya cucktroll
inb4 "you couldn't name a designer i win you lose"
>>
>>49830578
I'm not trolling.
>>
>>49830621
Sure
>>
>>49830542
The designer of Yu-Gi-Oh, who valued fun over "muh secondary market"

The designer of Hearthstone, who used the digital medium to it's full potential, although I don't like the game.
>>
>>49830634
Why would that be trolling?
>>
>>49830667
>Yu Gi Oh
>Hearthstone
Anon..
>>
I think most people that hate MaRo don't understand the difference between design and development and use him as a scapegoat for everything they see wrong in Magic.
Also they don't understand that MTG is many games in one and they don't have to like all of them.
Goblin Test Pilot may be a weak and silly card, but it's the favorite of someone for its design and/or goofyness.
>>
>>49825792
If it wasn't a skill based game then top players wouldn't consistently beat less skilled players.
>>
>>49825826
Tell you what, we'll see how many MtG products were sold in the last year, and then see how many chess sets have been sold in that same span of time.
>>
>>49830688
Yes, they're shit. But the designers don't fuck over their players.
>>
>>49830090
I feel like everyone who hates on NWO doesn't really understand it as it only impacts draft heavily. Its about reducing complexity at common. Anyone playing standard right now can tell you the game state is very complex, let alone modern and legacy obviously. The gatewatch is dumb and maro is ok but hating on NWO because you're an idiot is stupid.
>>
>>49830376
>MTG is old and hasn't had a drastic revamp
>Except it totally has on pretty much every level, from design to art to the literal rules
>Well that doesn't fix any of the problems I have with the game.

Hey have you seen your goalposts? They were right there a minute ago...
>>
>>49830790
NWO also has a huge impact on Pauper though.
>>
>>49830790
Have you even played standard in the last two years?
>>
>>49829528
JTMS was banned from standard a few months AFTER New Phyrexia came out and was a Worldwake card. It was already almost leaving standard
>>
>>49830790
That is pretty upsetting though. I really dislike how build-around cards are all uncommon. It also bugs me that every 2 color pair has a gold uncommon that supports one and exactly one archetype. In the good old days commons could be build around and multiple strong uncommons could fit into a number of other archetypes.
>>
>>49830818
That's... really not important. At all.
>>
>>49831023
To you maybe, but there are people out there that love pauper.
>>
>>49830790
>only impacts draft
Yeah, a single mythic can now swing an entire draft, isn't it great you guys
>>
I really wish WOW TCG hadn't been discontinued.
Jihad was amazing too.
Everything I love dies and I'm left with MaRo's NWO Magic and you guys.
>>
>>49829528
Jace should have been in standard for 21 months, it was banned in it's 18th month.
That's not short at all.
>>
>>49830027
It's why DC doesn't tell anyone about it's gay and poc characters, and is actually making money with it's comics. While Marvel makes a fuss out of turning classic characters into token checklists, and would be right back in bankrupcy if uncle Mickey wasn't paying their debts so he can keep making movies with characters that don't even feature in the comic books anymore.
>>
>>49830376
Mana flood/screw is your fault.
Do you think cars are badly designed because they will run away if you let the engine on, the brakes off, push the pedal and get out?
>>
>>49830714
Stoddard is a faggot too, but at least he's not an egocentric kike that can't stop talking about all the great cards he's designed and how every set ever was a mistake because development did something vaguely wrong.
>>
>>49830790
You're a retard and a shill.
If commons can't be complex that means something else has to be, preferably something that takes aproximatedly 110 boosters to get, like a particular planeswalker.

NWO is artificial powersink on 90% of the set for the sake of selling a handfull of rares and a couple mythics.
>>
>>49830440
>>49831711

There is something like 13% chance of getting mana screwed or flooded even with a well constructed deck.

There is fuck all you can do to negate this and it is a blatant problem with the system.

>>49830814

My goalposts haven't moved at all fuck-nut, The problems I listed with the game being outdated were as follows.

1. Dated resource management mechanic
2. Deck buying aspect
3. Being fucked by card draws

YOU are the one who listed border art and mana burn rules which didn't address the core problems with the game.

YOU moved the goalposts not me, I sat them back where they were and you bitched about it.
>>
I bought Codex recently and play it on weekends with friends. It is a fun card game, but has more in common with Hearthstone than MtG.
>>
>>49831933
That's the risk of playing a multicolor deck. Don't like the risk of color screw? Play monocolor.
>>
>>49830462
The point where decks ran Jitte as a counter to Jitte made that a little silly gameplay-wise.
>>
>>49831100
You know that one guy you know? Maybe he's an avid cyclist, or a vegan, or maybe he uses Linux. Whatever it is, it's different and he NEEDS you to know about it.

Pauper players are that guy.
>>
>>49832119

I didn't even mention multi-color decks. This can happen without such a deck. It can literally occur where, after you shuffle your deck you start with two lands in the first 15 cards and you are now butt fucked.

It is a glaringly obvious flaw that should not exist anymore but changing would cause the whole of the game to have to be reset and past collections would be considered useless causing a major abandonment of the game so Wizards won't touch it with a 20 foot pole.

To the point a simple a rule change could be "Exile a random card from your hand at the start of your turn, treat the card exiled this way as if its text were blank, and you may search your library for a card named Plains, Forest, Mountain, Swamp, or Island and put it into your hand" and the community would swear that was broken. To be fair, it doesn't fix mana flood, but it would actively work against mana screw.
>>
>>49830542
Richard Garfield's flavorful abusable effects Magic is infinitely more fun than MaRo's turning creatures sideways magic and is what made the game gain traction in the first place.
>>
>>49832202
That's what land tutors and scry cards exist for.
>>
>>49832202
>Exile a random card from your hand at the start of your turn, treat the card exiled this way as if its text were blank, and you may search your library for a card named Plains, Forest, Mountain, Swamp, or Island and put it into your hand
Yeah, because fetchlands aren't one of the most abusable land archetypes already.
>>
>>49832248

They are exceptionally useful IF you happen to draw them and have the mana for them.

The very fact they have to be used to counteract a gameplay flaw should highlight how obvious the flaw is though.
>>
File: land-grant-cropped.jpg (124KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
land-grant-cropped.jpg
124KB, 464x664px
>>49832290
>>
>>49832290
>each color's defining trait is that it's better at handling a certain aspect of the game
>green's is securing a solid mana base
>somehow this is a flaw of the game
Might as well complain that creatures should stay in graveyards
>>
That one card for one land type that is currently not used in modern has totally changed my opinion on the matter completely, sir.

I was wrong. Magic is flawless. Mana flood and screw doesn't exist. The only people complaining about it are plebs who can't appreciate the perfect system that hasn't needed to change for years.

Bravo, sir. You have shown me the errors of my way and I shall go drown in my own rage tears over just how badly I have been destroyed on this anonymous online message board.

Thank God, you showed me that card instead of just saying 'Magic isn't perfect and Mana screw/flood is an inherent flaw that we just try to mitigate while playing, but I enjoy the game and am heavily invested in it so I will keep playing.' otherwise I might never have known just how much of a dipshit I am.

I am tying the noose for my inevitable demise now, sir. It is proving tricky because I can't see the rope through my tears and my hands won't stop shaking with anger, but it will be done soon.
>>
>>49832432
Having lands in the game isn't an inherent flaw because it creates design space for nonbasic land cards, which are like a whole fifth of the fucking game. When will you fags understand this.
>>
>>49831933
>MULLIGAN
>U
>L
>L
>I
>G
>A
>N
>>
>>49832432
Imagine being this ass blasted
>>
>>49832432
Not even Timmies complain this much about land and they play 9cmc creatures.

Fuck off, Land management is the backbone of Magic and the reason gameplay is so deep. Every game system that isn't subject to variability or allows you to ignore it by non-strategizing means ends up broken.
>>
Without lands everything turns into curvestone
>>
>>49832202
Mana variance is one of the main factors that keep heavy combo decks from always being the best choice in a format. Perfect mana leads to degenerate plays.
>>
>>49831933
Refer to
((>>49828021)), which I'm assuming was also you.
Specifically:
>Also, claiming Magic being 23 years old is not a positive point, anon. It is old and dated and hasn't had a drastic revamp despite better mechanics hitting the gaming scene over the past decade.
That is specifically the point that was addressed in >>49829827
And then you tried to save face and say 'w-w-well those didn't count baka wotc shill11!'

Go on though, explain to me again how you never claimed that Magic hasn't had a drastic revamp or how any of the rules, card, or design philosophy changes don't count.
>>
If there's one thing I really dislike in magic it's how much of an obvious advantage the starting player gets over the other one. The game would IMO be more balanced if it adopted a Yugioh like asymmetric approach, that player two gets a provisory "turn zero" during which he can play a land but can't play any spells. Feel free to voice your disagreeing opinions.
>>
>>49831251
That has literally always been the case. There was a time when seeing a Serra Angel in a draft meant you were going to win.
>>
>>49832702
In constructed this is usually true, but limited definitely has had formats where playing second was arguably the better decision.

Your proposed turn 0 would basically give player two an extra draw step and the opportunity to cast a 2+ drops before player one. What advantage would player one have? The ability to cast 1 drops first? That's not a very good compensation.
>>
>>49832788
Without the draw step I meant, sorry for not elaborating further. Player two would just get to drop a land and pass.
>>
>>49832702

It's a problem but that's why magic isn't played in single games but rather 3 or 5 game matches where the loser of the previous game gets to go first

It's kind of like in sports how home field advantage is literally unfair so when it comes time for the playoffs of baseball hockey or basketball they alternate home and away to make it as fair as possible

Also it's not common but occasionally the advantage of drawing a card on your first turn is enough to make it better to go second. Only for certain matchups but it just goes to show that going first isn't always a huge advantage
>>
>>49832788
>>49832804
An alternative could be that this early land drop would count as player two's land drop for the first turn.

>>49832805
I'm pretty sure that if somebody would do some research, going first would come up as the statistically superior option in nearly all cases.
>>
>>49832804

No that was assumed, think of it like this

Turn A-1 puts player A a mana ahead, but even on cards
Turn B-1 puts them even on mana, but ahead on cards

If we implemented this turn 0 of yours on turn B-1 player B would be ahead on both mana and cards
>>
>>49832839

Where did I say it wasn't superior to go first most of the time? My point was just that the size of this advantage varies so much that sometimes it's even a disadvantage, and the majority of the time the advantage isn't that large
>>
>>49832855
Player 2 would get a resource advantage, but player 1 gets the tempo advantage, he gets to drop a threat first. Getting a delver operational first can decide the game faster than one land more or less.
>>
>>49832905

That's true, player 1 gets a tempo advantage, but you can 100% certain that nobody would ever choose to go first if that change was made, you'd simply be reversing the current situation where people choose to go first most of the time, and you'd be making it worse actually because the advantage of going second would be larger than the current advantage of going first

Player 2 being able to cast 1 mana instants on turn 0 basically negates any tempo advantage going first would give
>>
>>49832970
Okay then, how about the reverse situation? Player one can't cast spells during his turn, he can only drop a land. Player two gets the privilege of having the first card draw and getting off the first sorcery speed spell.
>>
>>49832695

>Made the claim that magic has terrible flaws that haven't been addressed and needs a drastic revamp
>You list slight rule changes that don't address the core problems I listed
>Act like I am the one being a fucktard

Magic has flaws. People claiming it doesn't is maddening.
>>
>>49833317
Magic is flawed in the same way a car is a flawed F1 vehicle.

Try to understand the difference between flaws and "Things I don't like"
>>
>>49833363

Comparing Magic to current similar card games is like comparing a Model T to an F1 racer.

One is clearly superior with less flaws than the others.
>>
>>49833442
name them
>>
>>49830733
Chess will win that. Hands down. By orders of magnitude.
>>
>>49833661

They have already been named in this very thread, you are either choosing to ignore them or haven't read the thread.
>>
>>49834440
no they havent. you're either lying or you're posting in the wrong thread
>>
>>49834469

Warhammer Invasion
Mage Wars (Academy, Arena, and Domination although Arena and Domination are typically too complex for the average Magic player)
Call of Cthulhu
Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn
Epic
Android Netrunner
Pretty much any of the FFG LCG games

Epic is probably the most easily relatable to the MtG crowd and hits all the exact same notes without the mana resource which makes it much better right out the gate.
>>
>>49825715
>let's take this card game and make it not a card game

Are you actually retarded or do you have to try to say shit this stupid?
>>
>>49825792
>choosing what your opponent plays
>>
>>49825610
Is that game still going? I have a bunch of cards from a long time ago.
>>
>>49825826
>Chess and Go
>Not card games

I know I'm just getting memed but this meme really sours my starfish
>>
>other people enjoying my game makes me enjoy it less

fuck off
>>
>>49835166

Yes, a new expansion is coming out soon that will finally make use of freezing spells. Shit has had immunity to freezing from the first release but it is finally getting shit to be immune against with the Siren vs Paladin expansion.
>>
>>49833021
The actual disparity isn't solved with rules, it's solved with cards.
Lightning Bolt is an aggro card on the play, and a control card on the draw. We need more cards that can change their roles that drastically, not rules that will eventually be abused like Delver, Deathrite, Brainstorm and Gude abuse the current situation.
>>
>>49834530
LCG don't target the same audience as MtG. They're not truly competitive.

In 12 years of card gaming across the USA, Canada, Mexico, England and Ausland I've seen:
>Magic: The Gathering
>Yu-Gi-Oh!
>Pokemon
>Force of Will
>Weiss Schwarz
>WoW: CCG
>Mitos y Leyendas
>Digimon TCG
>Universal Fighting System
>Jihad
>Duel Masters
>Netrunner
Played at LGS, from most to least. Only ONE LCG, the oldest and most popular one, no other.

MtG is to be played with strangers at the store and bros at the kitchen table. Most LCGs offer only the second option unless you plan to build two decks and teach new people to play every time you go to the store just to have them not get into it because the cardpools are harder and more expensive to get, not to mention much less likely to actually get to play with someone else, than a simple MtG draft.
>>
>>49830738
>yugioh
>the designers don't fuck over their players
Sure the game has added tons of cool and fun new mechanics, but komoney has been fucking us in the ass for the longest time.
>>
I think I've seen more people playing the Pony card game than Netrunner in public.
Lately the DC deckbuilder game is doing well at my LGS and GoT was popular for like two months before getting dropped entirely.

The 300 new cards every three months business model is just that much better at keeping a captive audience, even when 275 of those cards are shit.
>>
>>49838594
>The 300 new cards every three months business model is just that much better at keeping a captive audience, even when 275 of those cards are shit.

So many trees had to die to make jank.
>>
Make Permission good again and I'll consider playing MtG.
>>
>>49838700
>Make Permission good again and I'll consider playing MtG

Permission is so god damn annoying. If you just want to play with yourself play solitaire.
>>
File: 1475829957530.png (809KB, 606x600px) Image search: [Google]
1475829957530.png
809KB, 606x600px
>>49838700
I have this sick fantasy of running a deck thats nothing but counterspells of various types.

It wouldn't win. Unless my opponent ragequits. I just want to see the look on their faces.
>>
>>49838742
I don't get to watch other people get angry when I play with myself.

I don't want to be unbeatable, I just want the tactic to work.
>>
>>49838780
See, that's what I want.

I just want him to desperately, desperately want a creature, a spell, anything, ANYTHING to stick. And he can never manage it.
>>
File: 1474578961317.jpg (72KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1474578961317.jpg
72KB, 500x750px
>>49838781
The best stuff is constantly putting things back on the top of their library. So not only are you countering/unsummoning they're stuff but they won't even draw anything new next turn.
>>
>>49838819
My last gasp in MtG was using Psychic Surgery combined with a shitload of search and shuffle cards.

You had to draw into it for it to work, but by god, when it worked, you basically got to fuck your opponent start to finish.

"Oh, look at that, you draw another mountain. That's like the fifth one in a row! What are the odds?"
>>
>>49838780
>>49838791
>>49838819
>>49838859
You people seem like the kind of players that COULD swing for the kill, but pass turn just to fuck with people.
>>
>>49838672
It's ok, trees would strangle you if they could.
>>49838780
You can't play permission without wincons because you need card advantage and if the opponent notices you don't have wincons he'll just let you deck yourself.
>>
>>49838966
Let them stew.

Let them hope.

"Maybe he doesn't have his win condition. Maybe he's mana flooded. Maybe I can come back. Maybe I can win this."
>>
>>49837707
When I can make a tournament viable deck for $20, I don't call that getting fucked over.
>>
File: 1475705164627.png (166KB, 351x349px) Image search: [Google]
1475705164627.png
166KB, 351x349px
>>49839001
>if the opponent notices you don't have wincons he'll just let you deck yourself.

If I make another human being sit through me drawing 60 cards then I will have succeeded at my mission.
>>
>>49838780
Manlands my friend. Celestial collonade is p. good for control. Creeping tar pit too.
>>
>>49825487
>no appreciation for 16000 options, discovering the perfect card for your edh deck
Lookit this anon who knows not the joy of finding the perfect, beautiful card after sifting through 6 gather pages.
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.