[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MtG Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 19

File: IMG_4068.png (361KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4068.png
361KB, 500x500px
Price spike when

Also, Standard General sincei didn't find it after searching the catalogue.

How about that Pro Tour?
>>
File: 1440071364872.png (193KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1440071364872.png
193KB, 680x680px
>WTZ WIZARDS WHY ARE STANDARD PRICES STILL SO HIGH
>I THOUGHT MASTERPIECES WERE SUPPOSED TO FIX EVERYTHING
>IT'S HARD ENOUGH TO TRADE EBT MONEY FOR MTG SINGLES AS IT IS
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: IMG_4518.gif (3MB, 413x233px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4518.gif
3MB, 413x233px
What do I sideboard in against UR spells, as WB control?
>>
Pretty interesting Pro Tour, but I think the poor performance of G/B delirium and G/R energy are not indicative of their strength and potential.
Seems like it might take some more time to figure out the format.
>>
>>49824201
>gideon
>sorin
>possible artifact hate
>>
>>49824232
play prized amalgam/scrounger/haunted dead at fnm this week to farm all the grixis control faggots who can't deal with graveyard recursion.
>>
Is there some kind of infographic that teaches me how to play? I want to get into it but I have near 0 comprehension of how to play
>>
is it just me or does standard look like UR spells is just gonna dominate till the next set comes out cause the only thing i can think to do about it is play the scrounger deck mentioned above but it still loses if they are jeskai instead of grixis.
>>
So why is tricolor working so well ? Not enough good cards in bicolor archetypes ? Too much good cards for a bicolor archetype in a third color ?
>>
>>49824341

> Been building Grixis Control because of all of the fun tools
> See this post

What happened during the Pro Tour?
>>
>>49824828
moon coon won with grixis control. it was actually a pretty sick deck
>>
>>49824843
>it was actually a pretty sick deck
It feels all over the place, especially for its instants and sorceries, like he put all good removal/counter and hoped it will flip TiTi at one point
>>
File: get bent.jpg (523KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
get bent.jpg
523KB, 1920x1040px
>>49824341

I'm already getting some practice in with the deck and it feels disgustingly fun when it goes off. No looter scooter at the minute since price hike so I'm using key to the city as a stand-in and its doing ok.
>>
What does everyone feel about mardu gearhulk reanimator? Been loving this deck online, but especially since there will likely be so many people going to grixis control, which kind of shits on it, I'm wary to spend $200 on it.
>>
>>49825058
youre completely right to be wary, i personally wouldnt do it.
>>
I just flat out bought the UR Spells deck that Dagen made top 8 with. It looks fun. One interesting thing to note about the price of decks in recent years is that because one deck has been dominant, everyone has wanted the same cards. But now if 5-6 decks can put in a strong showing consistently, that means there's up to 5-6x more cards people want, creating larger pseudo supply, so deck prices will remain relatively low.
>>
>>49824843
>Build a deck on Thursday night for a PT
>Get inducted into the Hall of Game on the Friday
>Win a PT on the Sunday
Like, damn son he just had the best weekend of his fucking life.
>>
>looter scooter is everywhere
>demands removal or it generates a metric fuckton of value
>3/3 flying looter for 2 generic
>pilotable by even a servo token

good card design
>>
>>49825600
I count only 16 Copters in last Pro Tour top 8
>>
File: confusion.man.jpg (330KB, 900x615px) Image search: [Google]
confusion.man.jpg
330KB, 900x615px
>cucks thought masterpieces would make standard significantly cheaper
>>
>>49825682
>>cucks thought masterpieces would make Kaladesh cards significantly cheaper
FTFY

Masterpieces can't do shit to sets they weren't printed in
>>
>prerelease open promo panharmonicon, looter scooter
>duuuude, these cards sucked
>prize open skysovereign
>duuuuude, this is like one of the low mythic

O i'm happy now.
>>
>>49825747
So you're telling us you're shit at Magic ?
>>
>>49825801
How many pro tour have you won?
>>
>>49825747
>thinking looter scooter was anything but t1
you have to be fucking blind slobbing on the card trying to find the braille to not see how good it is.
>>
>>49823835

This shit will bottom out by christmas. Just look at how everything in BFZ besides gideon and ulamog are worthless
>>
>>49825682
>>49825721

Expecting prices to be low before the market is flooded is dumb. The set has only been out for a month.
>>
>>49826000
I wouldn't call cards that cost more than $2 worthless but to each his own
>>
>>49825801
>>49825905
Half of /tg/ was of the opinion that literally none of the vehicles would be constructed-playable.
>>
>FOUR
>DOLLAR
>UNCOMMON
>Still rising in price

why did people lie to me about Masterpieces making things cheaper? At this point I should have pre-ordered the lands for 50 cents.
>>
File: 242.jpg (61KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
242.jpg
61KB, 312x445px
>>49826073

Forgot pic
>>
>>49826073

Because its a tendo ice bridge that's straight up better? Mana confluence asked you to pay life and still saw play, all this does is ask you to have energy which is easily accessible in this format.

I still agree its dogshit how expensive it is though. This is some semen visions shit.
>>
>>49826061
i was not one of them. i was adamant that the scooter and the freighter would be top tier. though i do take the L on the freighter.
>>
>>49826102
i think the price hop was deserved though not to 4 dollars, i think it will drop back to like 1-2. it is essentially a 5 colored land for pseudo free with how simple it is to get energy.
>>
>>49826134

I say give it a month or two max and it'll either go back down to 1-2 or be the chase uncommon of the set.
>>
>>49826102

I know it's straight-up better than Tendo Ice Bridge, but Ice Bridge was only expensive because it was in a set that wasn't printed into oblivion. People kept reassuring me that prices on Kaledesh would crash so I figured I could pick up some Hubs for 10 to 20 cents while everyone chased the super-Mythics, but instead it seems like I missed the boat on getting these for under a dollar. It's really annoying. Is it because so many of the commons and other uncommons are unplayble draft garbage?
>>
>>49824592
Play magic duels for one or two days, the game keeps track of everything for you and will help you learn how the turn structure flows. Then go to a nearly FLGS and ask the staff to play with you. Then look at the meta decks, buy a budget version of one of them you like and play with people.
>>
File: 1473640434328.gif (1MB, 446x270px) Image search: [Google]
1473640434328.gif
1MB, 446x270px
Congrats! You're officially the second shittiest magic-related general now that "Frontier" is a tentative thing.
>>
>>49826073
It was obvious to anyone with a brain that Masterpieces won't make a set or standard cheaper

If you are Scrooge Mc.Duck and you wanna pimp out your vintage deck with the new shinies you will just buy the singles for lowest price. You aren't gonna buy a million boxes and dump the product like a mongoloid.

It just exists to be a fucking autistic yugioh ghost rare that youtubers and shit can make unboxing videos over to suck WotC dick
>>
>>49826188
>you wanna pimp out your vintage deck with the new shinies you will just buy the singles for lowest price
Where do you think the singles come from ?
>>
File: million_dicks.gif (6KB, 446x361px) Image search: [Google]
million_dicks.gif
6KB, 446x361px
>>49826179

>people venting about prices being out of control
>"Wahhh you're the second-worst general!"

It's impressive you've learned how to type while sucking so much dick.
>>
Surprised it was control in the finals and not RW vehicles.
It was actually an exciting match despite it being control vs control and me being a person who hates control. Maybe I just hate playing against it.

Anyways mission accomplished MaRo, you've successfully made even control decks revolve around creatures.
>>
>>49826200
shops cracking packs.
>>
>>49824843

Oh damn. Glad I bought my Torrential Gearhulks a few days ago.

Kinda wish I nabbed a few TiTis but I have at least one.
>>
>>49826214
You say that in an insulting fashion but that was MaRo's intention from the start.

Creatures are the easiest thing in the game to interact with. A deck that doesn't really on creatures is a deck that's harder to interact with and less interaction equals less fun. An instant-and-sorcery focused deck is now a deck that contains creatures that care about the instants and sorceries that you play and it's these creatures that will win you the game, not the instants and sorceries.

Hard control and hard burn are gone. The available archetypes are now aggro, midrange and midrange-control.
>>
>>49826287
>You say that in an insulting fashion but that was MaRo's intention from the start.

It's a bad intention
>>
>>49826330
His heart's in the right place. It's a design decision that was made in order to ensure that players would always be able to do something. If all cards either are creatures or do something to creatures, then every card will always be able to have an impact on the board. Less dead hands, more interaction, more fair play instead of certain decks auto-folding to burn or control.
>>
>>49826205
You improved?

Before frontier, you were objectively the worst general, but now you're the second worst, so you should feel proud. Instead, you're mad? Seems like the truth hit pretty close to home.
>>
>>49826514
Not the guy you responded to
What are your arguments for Standard general being the worst general ?
>>
G/W humans has been performing incredibly well lately with the advent of Blossoming Defense, but I feel that it's vulnerable to hard control decks and especially decks that run Sorin, and that it could use additional card draw.

Out of the following, which would you recommend for these two purposes, either side or mainboard?

>Duskwatch Recruiter, main (Cheapens creatures and gives me more stuff to do with spare mana, but isn't a powerhouse on its own.)
>Eerie Interlude, side (Dodges Fumigate and allows me to flicker Thalia's Lt.)
>Tireless Tracker, main (Slow, but generates clues and benefits from them. Removal magnet, but with Blossoming Defense the card doesn't die the turn I play it)
>Ulvenwald Mysteries, side? (Good at recovering from a Fumigate or something, creates bodies for wideness and generates card draw)
>>
>>49825905
got that play-set for $4 my man, should have scooped 20
>>
>>49826573
What about that 2w instant from bfz that pumps and makes your dudes invincible? Unlesd youre already running that
>>
>>49826573
the real question is, why haven't you been maindecking tireless tracker all along? Dude is a staple in that kind of deck.
>>
>>49826539
I've been bored, so I've monitored the past 5 or 6 Modern, Legacy, EDH, Standard and, I guess, Frontier threads.

Standard has universally the least informed posters, which isn't a huge surprise since it's designed to attract new players. The bigger issue is the general level of discourse. Scroll through this thread, it's half speculative investors, twenty five percent people bitching about standard being unaffordable, twenty percent complete noobs, and five percent reasonable posters. While modern may also have some dumb-dumbs, the general level of discourse between players who actually know what they're talking about is significantly higher. EDH has been a little wonky lately, but it's usually one of the more supportive and informative generals, as long as you don't trigger one of the few resident spergs. Legacy, while stagnant, has the most informed posters and generally the best level of discourse, despite a relatively consistent poster base, they are usually helpful to new posters with meaningful questions.

Just look at this poor anon:
>>49824592

It took him three hours to get a reply to one of the simplest questions in magic. The only general that would be less helpful is modern, but even still, some non-douchebag would probably take time out of their day to meticulously explain things to spite the shitposters.
>>
>>49826740

Every modern thread I've looked at is just people stroking their own e-penis saying "What are you too POOR for this hobby lolololololol :^) If you aren't netdecking you're wasting our time!"

Modern is the worst general, hands down. I've never seen a positive discussion there.
>>
>>49826740
>The only general that would be less helpful is modern
They would just say "Go to the Standard thread, you noob"

Modern is the worst general
Frontier is too new to be considered a general at all
>>
>>49826721
I was maindecking Tireless Tracker for months until I realized that it's only decent if it stays on the board for a little while, which doesn't happen as often as you'd think. It's a lot better in decks that are good at stalling the game out. I cut it because I realized that I found myself holding onto to 1- to-2 of them at a time and playing them would rarely help me like Thalia or a Heron's Grace would.

>>49826704
...Encircling Fissure?
>>
>>49826777
>>49826790
Look, guys, I understand that you're offended at the insinuation that modern is a better general, but I've meticulously examined a metric fuckton of shitposting. The last 5 or 6 modern threads have been significantly better than the last 5 or 6 standard threads. Go look at the modern general right now. Other than some people bitching about blue, which every general does, they're actually talking about magic.

Kick out the speculative investment fags, and your general will improve significantly. It doesn't help that standard is notoriously bad right now, but that's less of an issue with this general, and more of a general issue with the format.
>>
File: Image.png (120KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
120KB, 223x311px
>>49826792

Make a Stand I think?
>>
>>49826832
Oh, that. The deck doesn't go wide enough to make that worth it, at 3CMC I'd rather have Eerie Interlude for all the ETB in the deck (since I think Thalia's Lt. Triggers if a fuckton of creatures all enter at once if it does as well), and I want to have a deck that won't rotate until Shadows does. Good card, not really what I need at the moment.
>>
Is standard worth playing these days? Seemed like Kaladesh introduced some cool stuff

Any ideas for fun cheapo decks to bring to FNM?
>>
>>49826989
No, it's really not.

Right now is the upswing of the hype train. Things are just going to get more expensive until the format stagnates and the next set is announced.

Do you have smuggler's copters? If not, have fun getting btfo every game for a year.
>>
>>49827002
that's a shame

guess I'll just go back to playing EDH with friends in the hopes that Standard will unfuck itself
>>
>>49827029
It's good to be hopeful, but after the inception of frontier, I doubt it's ever going to happen. It seems to me like they're forcing 5 or 6 money cards per set, and printing a bunch of garbage under the guise of "balanced for limited".
>>
>>49827057
Wait, is Frontier officially recognized? Has WotC finally lost whatever coherence they had?
>>
>>49827088
No, but it's a realistic fear as it becomes more popular. I believe the official line is:
>wotc wants to institute frontier
>but they wanted to wait a few sets
>then the japs jumped the gun
>so now wotc is planning how to milk it for all it's worth
>>
>>49827129
We're in for a rough couple of years, boys.
>>
>>49827129
Japs jumped the gun by an entire set, if not year.
>>
>>49827148
Can you non-standard faggots explain to me why you're surprised or care why wotc puts their efforts into standard?

Wotc makes no money off the secondary market, why should they care about some spurge/nostalgia formats? What's the matter, too hard to keep up with the rotating format? Oh boy I get to play with and against the same deck for years on end with maybe a main/side board card change or two when you pick up the scraps from standard

Eat shit
>>
>>49827318
What about my post was anti-standard, you sperg?
>>
>>49827318
>Wotc makes no money off the secondary market,

Just came in here to say you are objectively wrong about this
>>
>>49824592
Game is divided into separate phases/steps.

Untap, where you untap all your stuff (turn it to face vertical)
Upkeep, where you resolve various effects that state they happen during upkeep
Draw, where you draw a card.
Main phase, where you may cast creatues, enchantments and sorceries, as well as instants and resolve anything that happens at sorcery speed.
combat phase, where you turn your creatures sideways (tap them) to deal combat damage to a player.
Main phase 2, where you resolve any other effects or cast other creatures, enchantments and sorceries.
End step, where you resolve end of turn triggers/abilities.

You can play 1 land per turn (unless somethign states otherwise), you "tap" a land to generate 1 of any mana that land may generate, which you use to fuel spells.

At its core, it's a simple game. When you get a month or two into it and have to learn the "stack", it gets intense.

Generally speaking, going to an LGS and asking to have a few playthroughs of the game to learn is an easy way to learn. I've taught one or two people to play, and have picked up a lot of rules tips from guys at my LGS as well.
>>
File: 1466883883023.jpg (43KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1466883883023.jpg
43KB, 540x540px
>>49827318
>this guy
So, non-autistic residents of Standard general, this is officially the reason your general is the second worst on the site. This is a horribly misinformed selfish opinion with nothing based in reality, used explicitly to tentatively justify the shitty nature of things at the moment, and wizards knows these people exist, so they pander to them.

The real answer is, if WotC is releasing a subpar product, don`t fucking buy it. Unfortunately, some standard fags seem to lack the self awareness to make this distinction, and spill a whole bunch of idiotic bullshit, like this guy.

We get it, you started playing magic recently, and don`t really give a shit about it as a long-term hobby outside of FNM and drafts. That doesn't mean you aren't ruining the hobby for everyone else with blatant retardation. Think about this for a second:
>I sold a pile dramoka's command for $10 each, thinking I got a good deal
>they spiked to $21 and I felt like I got ripped off
>now, they're a $1 rare, much like 99% of the past few sets of unplayable garbage

Now, why is this? It's because there is no format that uses the sub-par cards wizards is printing, hence frontier, but instead of demanding wizards print better things at a higher power level, you throw all your money at things with a lower power level for a myriad of poorly conceived reasons, and once the hobby is dead, you fags will migrate to some other trendy bullshit, without a single fuck given, while everyone else tries to pick up the pieces.

No other general has people like this guy and no amount of argumentation can enlighten them to the depths of their delusion. I'd take 10 million edgy modern fags over 5 of this guy, because at least the modern fags appreciate solid design philosophy, and respect their hobby enough not to support blatant extortion.
>>
>>49827433
Cool, now go back to your infect thread friendo
>>
File: Ignoble end of the Troll.gif (753KB, 1385x363px) Image search: [Google]
Ignoble end of the Troll.gif
753KB, 1385x363px
>>49827643
>>
>>49823835
Kaladesh was also heavily unopened due to the low EV and the fact that the Masterpieces weren't alluring enough for the vast majority of players to really be worth anything, compared to lands which always find a place in a deck. The only cards worth getting from that set pre-PT was Chandra and the green gearhulk, and even then those weren't enough to make a box. You had to be really lucky to get the value back on it.

It'll drop now that a number of cards have jolted in value and as a result raised the EV, but considering the sheer popularity of some of the cards I wouldn't expect a huge drop any time soon, at least until sideboard tech starts getting more hateful for it.
>>
File: 1458840985111-pol.png (362KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1458840985111-pol.png
362KB, 557x605px
>>49827433
>Blatant extortion
Good post, seriously
>>
>>49827684
Chalk up another win on your online argument board tracker! Don't forget to screenshot too for the inevitable epic collage
>>
File: ass blasted.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ass blasted.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>49827715
>he's so assblasted he's gone full sarcasm
>>
>>49826831
Do you mean the state of standard is bad rn or this thread? If the former, why?
>>
>>49826989
There are real graveyard shenanigan decks, real combo decks, good control and aggro decks and the occasional midrange deck in the format. This is my favorite standard since inn-rav
>>
>>49825179
Shouta was HoF last year. It was Watanabe this year
>>
>>49827840

>real graveyard shenanigan decks

Give it chance, Wizards have Aether Revolt left to neuter any and all graveyard decks like they did for INN-RAV. Rest in Piss, Ground Seal, Grafdigger's Cage, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if they printed at least something to nip graveyard decks before they get too popular.
>>
>>49825682
Having more than one competitively viable deck is the best way to make standard cheaper. If everyone's chasing fetchlands, Thoughtseize, and Meme Rhino to build the same Abzan list as everyone else, then yeah, competitive decks will be $700.

But when you've got fucking UR Spells hitting top 8 of a PT when it's basically just a couple of rares and mythics in a pile of uncommons, then standard is gonna be reasonable again.
>>
>>49826257
I just opened one today
>>
Still trying to make a goblins deck work. Took away lavastep raiders and chasm guides, put in some dark-dwellers and zada for instant shenanigans, but now I'm at loss as for what instants/sorceries play besides expedite. No idea what lands to play. Fighting the urge to put in vehicles or another color that can spice up the deck, because right now it's absolutely horrible AND braindead.
2x Lavastep Raiders
4x Zada's Commando
4x Reckless Bushwhacker
4x Goblin Freerunner
2x Chasm Guide
4x Zada, Hedron Grinder
4x Goblin Dark-Dwellers

4x Expedite
3x Harnessed Lightning
2x Flame Lash
3x Sure Strike
>>
>>49829206
What's the point of forcing a tribe when there's zero tribal support for it in the format? All you're doing is shrinking your pool of available cards, and making your deck shit as a result.
>>
File: 61[1].jpg (59KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
61[1].jpg
59KB, 312x445px
>>49825682
Typical standard cucks am I right?

>>49827318
We care because the existence of your format drags EVERY other format down.

Card quality would be much higher if standardcucks didn't exist, they shovel whatever shitty version of an already existing card down their throats every spoiler season with great delight.

The fact you all were grovelling over how great Revolutionary Rebuff was says volumes.

>>49827433
This man gets it
>>
>>49826000
>This shit will bottom out by christmas. Just look at how everything in BFZ besides gideon and ulamog are worthless

That's because BFZ was a shit set and the worst set since Homelands
>>
>>49827129
>>49827289
>The Jews fear the Samurai
>>
File: oh god please help.jpg (65KB, 640x462px) Image search: [Google]
oh god please help.jpg
65KB, 640x462px
How is WB even supposed to beat WU control? There's no hexproof or uncounterable things there.
Get bigger bombs?
>>
>>49829574
planeswalkers
>>
>>49829747
>negate
>>
>>49826073

Y'all are a bunch of dipshits. Even BFZ wasn't cheaper until after its first pro tour. Shit doesn't get cheap until people actually have the product. It has to be out for more than a month to reach equilibrium. If you thought things were going to immediately be cheap you have zero grasp of how supply and demand works and don't understand how masterpieces effect things and why.
>>
>>49826160

Prices don't crash right away, ever. Crashes take time.
>>
>>49829235
It's a gimmick deck, not a serious one.
Sometimes it's fun to limit yourself when deckbuilding and try to make something playable out of it. In this case it's "make a standard deck that has goblins only and make them the primary damage dealers".
>>
>>49824341
Lost Legacy and Flaying Tendrils exist in black. Incendiary Flow exists in red. Void shatter exists in blue. Any Grixis Control player can wreck you.
>>
can I get some help or suggestions to my deck?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/50-off/
its mardu dredge where you cheat out fatties early and you stall until you can pull it off
>>
>>49829574
You stop playing WB control so that decks in Naya colours don't have to deal with you anymore
>>
>>49829844
yeah i guess if you're spending those on my dredge bodies instead of elder deep-friend and emrakul.

yasooka's list can't support double black on-curve for tendrils anyhow and if you're void shattering a prized amalgam the person casting it doesn't actually know how the deck works.
>>
File: 1444695352043.png (90KB, 211x268px) Image search: [Google]
1444695352043.png
90KB, 211x268px
>>49830334
Seems like I struck a nerve
>>
>>49826831
>I've meticulously examined a metric fuckton of shitposting

I'm not here to question how right or wrong you've been about the whole thing, but your replies also hilariously read like the next ebin copypasta for MTG topics to come. Either way it beats reading Modern General.
>>
>>49829341
How dare you degrade BFZ like that.

It's nowhere worse than Prophecy. Never.
>>
i just came back to magic recently

thank god control is back
>>
>>49830805
I love it's control, but it's not "Rev for 15 by the way my only win condition is 1 Mutavault" control.
>>
>>49830001
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/50-off/
Why are you playing the colossus? No way to cast it for cheap and the gearhulks are better reanimator targets, especially the black one.

The wardens are only going to turn on your opponent's removal, if you want spot removal just play declarations/statis snare/ more desintegrations.

2 colorless lands is very risky in a 3 color build, and drownyard temple is probably better anyways (since you are playing cathartic reunion and tormenting voice).

Maybe consider playing corrupted grafstone to ramp to ever after.
>>
>>49830905
Also the whole mana base needs improving, at the very least you should be playing 4 evolving wilds
>>
I don't give two shits about the Pro Tour and make decks I like, as always even if its shit.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kaladesh-standard-jeskai-artifactz/

My latest creation after acquiring some smug copter before the recent spike.
>>
>>49831116
The nice thing about Standard right now is everything feels viable. No one deck has stepped forwards and put a rubber stamp on the format yet, whereas by this time last year, Collected Company was everywhere, and the year before, Abzan had already taken over.

Brews seem more viable than they have in a long ass time right now. It's brought me back into Standard after having not played it since RTR-THS.
>>
Is there any deck in which Goblin Dark-Dwellers would be playable as more than just a budget Torrential Gearhulk? I like the card, but cmc 3 or less is rough, and a lot of the targets you'd want to hit (radiant flames, painful truths) require you to use colored mana.
>>
>>49831157
>The nice thing about Standard right now is everything feels viable.
>Brews seem more viable than they have in a long ass time right now.

Thanks for giving me the envy to make my U Energy Mill deck with Startled Awake
>>
>>49831206
As someone who jammed sphinx's tutelage all throughout company's reign, I salute you.
>>
>>49831198
Fiery temper, welding sparks. RDW might be viable with Nerd Ape
>>
>>49827743
I don't know sportsball practices. What's the context of this webm?
>>
>>49831366
Probably just slid on his ass and got a friction burn.
>>
>>49830905
Besides changing the Geier Reach Sanitarium what other recommendations would you make to the landbase? I'm running a playset of colossus because I havent yet been able to get the other gearhulks like noxious or cataclysmic
>>
>>49829844

Not really. You're overlooking the fact that Prized Amalgam decks can also play Lost Legacy from the side and be naming stuff like Kalitas, Flaying Tendrils and Incendiary Flow. Void Shatter isn't even an issue once a Haunted Dead is in the yard and you start reanimating Dredge style instead. Shota's Grixis Control list is bad for the average player to even pilot because they will have no idea what the fuck they're meant to do since Shota built his list quite clearly to fight vehicles and Aetherworks and knows his list and gameplan well.
>>
File: I'll walk it off.jpg (80KB, 480x479px) Image search: [Google]
I'll walk it off.jpg
80KB, 480x479px
>>49831769
>Play Lost Legacy
>Name Lost Legacy
>>
>>49825179
>>49828083
Yeah yuuya was this year, he even learned his induction speech in english even though he doesnt speak the language , it was pretty moving
>>
>>49830404
Not a big one. I always have the biggest challenge against White/Black Control, but when I win it's satisfying as fuck and always a good game.
>>
File: Thumbs up.jpg (59KB, 984x720px) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs up.jpg
59KB, 984x720px
>>49831818
Nice for you
>>
>>49831795

Lol you could do that, though I'd personally never name Lost Legacy with my own Lost Legacy because generally at most they'd only bring in one or two. I'd rather name their threats and any exile based removal they bring in. Too bad I can't name Gearhulks though.
>>
>>49831198

Mardu Control/Superfriends. That's about it. U/R Burn may play it as well.
>>
>>49831206
How are you planning on making this work?

Startled Awake is such a wet bag of shit compared to Sphinx's Tutelage. Not to mention with Hydrolash, Prism Ring, Mage Network, etc, leaving standard, it feels like the only cards blue has that can really stall out a game are Engulf and Crush, which if you're playing, you're not going to have the mana for Startled.
>>
Was looking at the RW Vehicles deck and I had a few questions about it.

1. Why 24 lands, isn't that a bit too much for an aggro deck?
2. Why Depala? The deck does not run that many dwarves or vehicles to search for and its a huge mana sink in a deck that does not need that many lands in the first place
3. Why Harnessed Lightning? I get that its good removal but without any other energy synergy the card feels like it can fall flat sometimes
4. Why Pia Nalaar? I mean its okay but its probably not the best option in the deck
5. Why Gideon? You don't have that many creatures to use his abilities with

Just wondering about these cards as I have not won a single game with this deck yet.
>>
Was trying to build a deck sorta like the one that shota won with before the pro tour.

But I was thinking about kalitas and noxious thing in ice and torrential gear hulk in the main and thermo alchemist in the sides but alot of it looks pretty comparable.
>>
>>49826790

>Modern is the worst general

Where do you think we are?

>>49827029

Standard will never unfuck itself, it's an eternally cucked format, unless the current player base dies out

>>49827129

Frontier will crash just as hard as Tiny leaders did

>>49830404
Typical green player, heed him no mind.

>>49831157
>Brews seem more viable

Sure, as long as you slot in a playset of Smuggler's Smegma
>>
>>49832225
>Why 24 lands
Well, a lot of the decks play sky sovereigns/avacyn, and you're going to need 24 lands to be able to cast those. Going below 22 would be unadvisable with 4+ four drops anyways, and needle spires lets you bump up your land count and still have threats. Still, not all versions of the deck play 24, so 22 is fine if you have nothing over 4 mana.
>Why Depala
Aggro decks love having mana sinks for when they run out of gas. I think though, depala is more about making your copter a 4/4 and therefore a huge nuisance to kill, as well as the buffs to veteran motorist and exemplar
>Why Harnessed Lightning
Because of exactly what you said, it's good removal. You don't need any other energy interaction to want it, and if you kill something with 2 toughness you can hang onto it to kill something larger.
>Why Pia Nalaar
She has two relevant abilities, either buffing your damage, or letting you swing through a blocker. She's also great for crewing vehicles because she's a 1/1 and a 2/2.
>Why gideon
You almost never use the emblem. Making 2/2s every turn is a way of generating CA (plus they can crew things the turn they come out), and he's a hard to remove 5/5 attacker as well.
>>
>>49832348
>Sure, as long as you slot in a playset of Smuggler's Smegma
Neither finalist at the PT ran it. Only 4 decks in the top 8 did.
>>
>>49832367
>Only half of the top 8 ran 4 smugglers

That does not sound like it is nothing.
>>
>>49832367

Not the same guy but Copter was still slightly over 50% of the overall complete field at the Pro Tour. Decks that didn't run it were the control lists and the Aetherwork decks, maybe the Dynavolt decks too.

But the fact that brews being more viable as long as you jam in Copters isn't a joke. My old R/B vampires brew which I had shelved got immediately better when I jammed in 4 copies and was actually pulling a higher winrate than usual and I don't think that deck is strong right now but you will most definitely pull wins with it with Smug Copter.
>>
>>49832504
B/R madness is actually not in a bad spot right now. It's also a deck that wants smuggler's copter even more than other decks would because it loves discarding.
>>
>>49832482
I never said it wasn't a good card, it's you who claimed all viable decks must run it.

>>49832504
>Copter was still slightly over 50% of the overall complete field at the Pro Tour
So? This is the start of the season, and the card got initial hype. It's clearly good, but not the be all and end all of standard.
>>
>>49832482
It's not the six-out-of-top-eight that ran Collected Company during DTK-BFZ-SOI and unlike Collected Company, the looter scooter doesn't require being built around.
>>
>>49832542

B/R aggro/madness isn't Vampires, I mean don't get me wrong they're exactly the same colours doing almost exactly the same gameplan with Madness stuff but the B/R madness/aggro deck is way better just due to Scrapheap coming back over and over again and Pia Nalaar in the deck is not even a contest.

Seems like the only tribe that didn't get shafted hard in Innistrad was Humans and Zombies.
>>
>>49832545

>So? This is the start of the season, and the card got initial hype. It's clearly good, but not the be all and end all of standard.

I agree, it is the start of the season and the card is good but the fact is that you can take many aggro/midrange brews and just jam in 4 copters and you'll have a solid deck is not an understatement. Wanna try and bring back G/W tokens? G/W humans? Make sure you jam in 4 copters somewhere whatever you do.
>>
>>49832350
Whelp, I don't have Gideons so would Always Watching be a decent alternative?

Also, what are your thoughts about RB Aggro and Mardu Vehicles?
>>
>>49832698
Always watching isn't really a gideon replacement because you want the tokens and the 5/5 (not that you'd never use the emblem). I'm not sure what would be the best gideon replacement, but the deck will function without him (although some matchups may be tougher).

Personally I'm a big fan of RB aggro, scrapheap scrounger is just so hard to kill, and Mardu vehicles is sort of R/W vehicles but tweaked depending on the decks you expect to play.
>>
>>49826831
>Standard
>Bad right now

We just had a very diverse field of decks at the pro tour, wtf are you talking about?
>>
what's a fun budget deck (AKA I'm too poor for 4x looter scooters)

UR spellslinger?
>>
>>49832823
>"diverse"
>low powered decks that durdle, have trouble manafixing and half run smug copter
No. Better than CoCo? Debatable. The fact that it's in the same category is bad news.
>>
My friends want to drag me 100 miles to a game store to do the Pro-Tour Qualifier. What's a simple yet effective deck I can build on the cheap? I don't really care but I still want to go for my friends.
>>
>>49833742
You mean the PRE pro tour qualifier. You gotta qualify before you can quality.
>>
>>49833961

Err, it's actually the Grand Prix Trial. My mistake.
>>
>>49833541
Moving the goalposts at Smug Copter speed.
>>
>>49833742

Try the Electrostatic Pummeler combo deck, it's like playing bad Infect.
>>
>>49833742
>driving to a store in the middle of nowhere
>playing against weaker competition
>having to be this bad at magic
>>
>>49833541
>decks feel safe and samey early in a format's life

No shit, Sherlock
>>
>>49834499

Play the two drops to get energy 3+ energy, Play Electrostatic Pummeler, then turn 4 hit it with Larger than Life and/or Built to Smash and then when you attack with it you spend the Energy to make it huge, then huge again and you have a 32/32 Trampler, right?

>>49834533

That's thing, it's the closest game store to where we live. We're in the middle of nowhere.
>>
Scale of Brains in a Jar to U prison, how meme is RG energy?
>>
I bought the CVM vehicles list after the open, which pro tour list is the best?

I'm tempted to just build the top 8 list even though it wasn't the one with the best constructed record because I already have all the pieces except the chandra in the board, but
>chandra, lul
it seemed to perform pretty well anyways. The other list I'm considering is the list Reid Duke was running with Archangel Avacyns, but I'm basically only going to be playing this at Game day and buylisting it afterwards, so I really don't want to go through the trouble of buying anymore cards for it. About how necessary is Avacy to play the deck?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/unbeatable-rakdos-combo/

check out my MEME deck xDDDDDD
>>
>>49833495
You can put together r/g or u/g energy qith aether hubs being the only pricy cards. I guess nissa in u/g would be a tad pricy
>>
>>49833495

Metalwork Colossus decks and the RG energy decks are cheap and decent($150 or less on average)
>>
so I have a few questions based on some of the arguments going on earlier in this thread

#1 Where does Wotc make the majority of their money from on this game? Standard players? Modern players? Vintage players? who?

#2 if the answer to #1 is Standard players as I expect it is why do they actually care about the other formats? why are they afraid to release powerful cards into standard when the only real drawback to releasing powerful cards is that it will heavily disrupt the metagame of the eternal and modern formats? if they don't make as much money off of those formats who cares about the balance of those formats?

Blizzard has taken this approach with Hearthstone and it is proving effective
Is there some reason that Wotc is attempting to keep formats like Vintage and Modern alive when the majority of their profits and the majority of their players do not come from or play those formats?
>>
>>49832350
Don't have Kalitas for a RB aggro deck, any good alternatives?

Was thinking of Gonti
>>
>>49837696
>why are they afraid to release powerful cards into standard when the only real drawback to releasing powerful cards is that it will heavily disrupt the metagame of the eternal and modern formats?
Because that isn't what they are afraid of.
They don't want high powered cards because it would warp limited too much, which is a new players entry point into the hobby.
They wouldn't want commons and uncommon to have high powerlevels for obvious reasons, but if only the rares and mythics are too powerful then no one will want to play draft.
Right now wizards actually has it pretty good as standard is basically made up of rares and mythics with a few uncommons to encourage cracking packs while limited is still more or less balanced.
>>
>>49837985
is that really it?

power of a card doesn't have to be standalone, which is pretty much 100% what limited is based off of. You can have cards that are very powerful when used in a style of deck or when used in combination with specific other cards

you can solve that issue by gating the power of cards behind using complimentary cards from other sets or two cards in the same set that are both powerful in their own way but when combined become even better (think Bruna/Gisela)

that way they never really play any role in limited and are still high power constructed cards that you could build a deck around
>>
>don't really keep up with Magic that much
>hear all this talk about Frontier
>google it, find this:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/frontier-magic-2010-05-24
>get excited
>realize they actually mean postmodern, lose all excitement
God damn it.
>>
File: en_MrRozkO35K.png (192KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_MrRozkO35K.png
192KB, 265x370px
So, with Inventor's goggles, do you still have to pay the equip cost since it says you can attach it to an artificer when one comes in?
>>
>>49838207
What would be the point of the text if you still had to pay the cost, anon?
>>
>>49838207
yes you still pay the equip cost,

the thing though is that you can do it at instant speed in that case if its an artificer that just came into play
>>
>>49838302
>>49838329
thanks, I was just confused
>>
>>49838329
That wouldn't make any sense unless there was an artificer with flash (there isn't) or instant speed reanimation which there isn't either.
>>49838349
Don't listen to >>49838329 and reread the card.
Keyword: Attach. The text says you may attach inventors goggles to it. No mention of cost. It doesn't say equip. Now look at equip. Again, is says attach.
Both say attach, one doesn't mention any conditions other than "artificer enters the battlefield under your control", while the other says "(2)" and "equip only as a sorcery"

Yes, you can equip an artificer for free when it ETBs, the entire fucking point of the card. God damn /tg/ is terrible at magic.
>>
>>49837696
Wizard makes money off of people who crack packs. The people who crack packs sell cards with value. Cards get value because people play formats in which they are legal. If a card would make a format unfun, they wouldn't buy cards, and cracking packs would not be profitable.

Additionally, limited players crack packs. If a card would make limited unfun, people wouldnt play limited, ergo, wouldnt crack packs.
>>
>>49838378
troll
>>
>>49838378
That makes a lot more sense, thank you sensei
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.