[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> join new campaign > DM is using a homebrew system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 21

File: ____skeptical_girl.png (493KB, 481x541px) Image search: [Google]
____skeptical_girl.png
493KB, 481x541px
> join new campaign
> DM is using a homebrew system
>>
Homebrews are like moonshine
Sometimes its better than the regulated stuff
but most of the time you just end up blind
>>
File: improvised-roomba.gif (2MB, 374x224px) Image search: [Google]
improvised-roomba.gif
2MB, 374x224px
>>49821691

Eh. I've played homebrews that worked.

It's usually been a matter of the DM playing three or four different systems to death over the course of a few years, and trying to work out a synthesis that keeps all of their good bits while losing all the broken parts. Seems to work best when the DM has a very specific play style in mind.
>>
>>49821691
> DM is using his own homebrew
Ok
> DM is using someone else's homebrew
Oh fuck no
>>
File: uncertain.png (510KB, 528x460px) Image search: [Google]
uncertain.png
510KB, 528x460px
>>49821691
>Join new campaign.
>GM is running everything by the book.
>>
>>49821941
>he doesn't run the system by-the-book before fucking with it
>>
>>49821691
I've only ever played homebrews, I'm not actually sure how playing by the book would go.
>>
>>49821941
>not running everything by the book for a new group until you get the feel for what everyone wants out of the game before fucking with it

That DM detected
>>
>>49821991
Unless you're playing with someone who wrote the book you're playing somebody's interpretation of the game. Two groups can play the same system very differently.
>>
>>49822600
Some systems are harder to misinterpret than others, though.
>>
>>49821691
>join new campaign
>DM is using a homebrew system
>only real system he ever learned was d20

So is there a term for a fantasy heartbreaker that doesn't actually break your heart, because it had no real redeeming features and you never had any particular hopes of it in the first place? Because whatever you call that, I have been invited to entirely too many of those.
>>
>>49821941
I want to at least try it by-the-book first.

Sometimes, the problems I want to fix with houserules weren't such a big deal in the first place. Or the changes I'm looking at might cause more trouble than they're worth, or they might just be cumbersome to use. But I might never know that if I don't try running it by-the-book.
>>
File: 441375_640px.jpg (37KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
441375_640px.jpg
37KB, 640x800px
>>49821941
>GM is running everything by the book.
>The book is about being better GM
>>
>>49824841
I usually just avoid those I-run-dnd-but-better-and-with-my-own-setting guys.
>>
>>49825078
Not going to defend guys who feel the need to mess around with the system, but
>implying homebrew settings aren't great
>>
>Join game
>GM is using a system not meant for the kind of game we're trying to play
>>
>>49825099
I didn't implying no such thing, though. It's combination of those two factors that is huge red flag for me because it's often followed by railroading, random change of rules to enforce railroading and loredumping via monologues almost like in DM of the Ring.
>>
>>49821941

I've kind of come full circle on that. I used to run with the whole confection of house rules and conventions my couple of groups built up, but honestly it's refreshing to have all the rules I'm using on paper right there for people to see.

Cheat sheets for house rules worked okay too and I imagine I'll go back to tweaking things at some point, but right now it never seems to make enough difference to bother.
>>
File: PFQy4yB.gif (27KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
PFQy4yB.gif
27KB, 300x169px
>NEET DM doesn't understand why I don't want to spend my limited free time playtesting his homebrew system
>>
File: 1475793949719.gif (112KB, 255x231px) Image search: [Google]
1475793949719.gif
112KB, 255x231px
>>49825119
>GM has chosen to use a system
>last time we played it, he raged at it for being cumbersome and ill-designed
>several better alternatives are known to us
>>
File: 1368817483770.jpg (4KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1368817483770.jpg
4KB, 250x250px
>>49821691
>make new campaign
>player makes character with homebrew class
>>
>>49821691
>Join new campaign
>Dm is doing cocaine right before every session.
>>
>>49821691
But didn't you like homebrewed shit, you Frontier shill? :^)
>>
>>49825272
Fucking this.

Guy joined a group I play in so he could run his homebrew past us. Mechanically played like a bag of cats. There were something like 9 different sources of randomization per player turn, of which maybe 2 served a purpose beyond vastly inflating the amount of time it took to do anything.

It's not like it was justified in-setting, either, because there was no setting to speak of.
>>
>start a new campaign
>recruit players
>nobody shows up as their passing interest that compelled them to voice interest has ended
>>
>no campaign to join
>...
>>
>>49821691

I remember this photo. The girl in it had the text 'When a guy starts his height off with 5 foot...'

It was responded with 'When a woman starts here weight off with two hundred...'

And then it was her crying about how mean people can be to her.

Homebrew can be fun if it is never taken seriously and is absolutely wacky.
>>
>>49821691
>start a group
>agree to have a set day and time each week
>everyone says that won't be a problem
>nobody commits to the time frame
>spend 3-4 hours alone or with the 1, sometimes 2 people who show up awkwardly apologizing for there being no game
>pretty sure whoever isn't busy just shows up to keep me company on any given week
>>
>>49825513
>I remember this photo.
Yes that was the joke.
>>
>>49821691
>join new game
>without hearing what system is being used
>don't even ask

Wow, good job.
>>
File: 1456719970834.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456719970834.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
>>49825119
>join DW campaign because I read the rules and thought it sounded interesting
>DM ignores most of the rules and just runs it like Pathfinder-lite, streamlined for railroading
>>
>>49825119
>join a Fallout campaign
>GM: "We're going to be using Pathfinder."
I'm glad my group is finally starting to grow out of Pathfinder syndrome now.
>>
>>49822086
This, tbqh.
>>
>>49825549

Hardly a joke, anon. Just posting an image that people might recall.

If I were say " Hey, 'member Pinky and the Brain?" That isn't a joke either.

Comparing the Brain to a DM and Pinky to That Guy would be more of a joke.
>>
File: crawring in my skin.jpg (346KB, 1095x1195px) Image search: [Google]
crawring in my skin.jpg
346KB, 1095x1195px
>>49825119

This one kills me.

>"Okay Anon I want to run a politics and intrigue based game in a feudal space empire"
>"Wow that sounds really cool, I'm in"
>"Okay, so we will be playing D&D 3.5 corebook only no caster classes"
>>
People making homebrew systems just because they feel like it are missing the point so hard.
>>
>>49826032
What is it with Japanese girls and tripping over nothing?
>>
File: 1465371463886.jpg (220KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
1465371463886.jpg
220KB, 640x853px
>>49826066

I don't know, but klutzy women turn me on.
>>
I've only ever played homebrews actually. Well, that and 4th ed like, twice.

My DM in the past was all about his own settings and rules so that's what we always used. It was more focused on storycrafting than stats or anything like that though. Worked out reasonably well.
>>
>>49826083
Those 3dpd sluts really are nothing like my pure anime waifus.
>>
>>49825857
I know that feel. Except the dm used the sprawl and modified it to the point of becoming a new game that avoided every advantage pbta games have.
>>
>>49825119
>Naruto game
>Me: Well...ok, lets see how this goes
>Using 5e
For the love of fucking god
>>
File: 1476532520051.png (289KB, 374x373px) Image search: [Google]
1476532520051.png
289KB, 374x373px
>>49821691
>player joins campaign
>he wants to name his character God
It still astonishes me to this day
>>
>>49821691
that ussually cool cos everyone knows how i am a system-maniac. So they ussually ask me for help to make sure every option is balanced, and also they take my advice of avoid "muh realism".
>>
File: 1475502066755.jpg (21KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1475502066755.jpg
21KB, 500x282px
>>49821691
>Hold a game
>Players agree on time
>Make characters together
>Everyone shows up most weeks, barring occasional illness or RL problems
>Whole campaign goes great
>Players get the best ending through perseverance and good choices

I feel lucky finding groups to GM that act like this. Every /tg/ group I read about is angry dysfunctional assholes.
>>
>>49826834
... I mean

he could name his character god

most people would look at him like a weirdo, because most gods in fantasy settings have actual names. So he would just be a guy named 'god'

It'd be like meeting a person named 'chair'
>>
>>49826032
Why is this picture funny?
>>
>>49827235
>It'd be like meeting a person named 'chair'
Or a girl called "Bow".
>>
>>49821691
Why is hating on homebrew everything the hot new meme among /tg/ shitposters?

>hurf durf i hate creativity and playing new things, i want to play the exact same system every single time
>>
>>49827741

>Why is hating on homebrew everything the hot new meme among /tg/ shitposters?

Because homebrews are 90% fucking terrible. OP here, by the way.

My friend recently created a homebrew where you roll 1d6 for how many skill points you start with, and 1d6 for how many spells you start with. Pretty much everything is additive dice pools where you are always rolling a d6, so 1 point in a skill gives you 2d6 to roll, 2 points you roll 3d6, etc.. Not only is it significantly unbalanced because you can stack a shitton of points into one thing and be rolling 7d6 versus someone's 2d6, the combat system is basiaclly initiative with 1d6, the game is boring as all fucking hell and it's mostly free-form, there are barely any actual rules. There are some cool race ideas and cool class ideas but that's it. The entire game is just completely retarded, and the first adventure was railroaded as hell.

I actually would have preferred playing a fucking d20 homebrew. Another friend I know did a d20 homebrew that was basically D&D 4e + D&D 3.5 and it was actually kind of fun even though it was an obvious D&D ripoff. When I tried explaining how he could elevate the game above standard D&D fuckery, though, I got nowhere.

Most homebrewers are so enshrouded in their own shitty creation that they can't bear to hear anything else. And of course when these fuckers pour 40 hours into making one of these games, you can't exactly say you don't want to play it without creating a shitton of awkwardness.

Fuck homebrewers.
>>
>>49827741
I've seen people complaining about homebrew since I started out in 2011, and I've had my own bad experiences with it.

It's because they're almost always awful and demand my limited leisure time. I want to spend my precious free hours having fun with game systems that are proven to be good or at least intelligible, not playtesting some amateurish unedited heartbreaker my buddy scraped together in 30 hours.
>>
>>49821691
Some of the best sessions I played were with homebrewn systems.
>>
>>49827195
>Every /tg/ group I read about is angry dysfunctional assholes
To be fair, those are the most entertaining ones to talk about. 80% of my groups have been wonderful, but it's the other 20% that are fun to talk about.
>>
>>49826753
Gestalt Monk/Sorcerer/Warlock?
>>
>>49827195
Why would people talk about or complain when everything's fine? It's not interesting. Nobody cares. Go kill yourself.
>>
>>49827195
>Every /tg/ group I read about is angry dysfunctional assholes.

I'm not even kidding when I say this, but tabletop RPG-related subreddits (r/dnd, r/rpg, r/dndnext, etc) are actually full of people expressing gratitude for their wonderful groups.
>>
>players are all ruthless minmaxers
>know far too much about how to crack established systems in half over their knee
>can list errata all day, every day from memory
>if given a different established system, will google it overnight

>run homebrew
>force them to be on the same page as everyone else and play with the group, not with the book
>>
>>49829355
This is why my group now only plays FATE
>>
>>49821691
Give it a chance OP.

I had a balling game using Dragonstar as a base for a Starcraft RPG.
>>
>>49821691
>join new campaign without knowing what you're gonna be playing
>>
>>49828612
>Fuck homebrewers

Meaning fuck all game designers? Every game starts as an awkward homebrew. Even D&D was a shitty homebrew at first, having only rules for combat and character creation, pretty much.

Well, of course, homebrew systems are, very often, shit, I don't disagree on that. But as an avid homebrewer / game designer, it just kinda pains me that even the notion of homebrewing makes ya'll sound like corporate sheeples. When some new indie game is making rounds, you will sing it's praises, without realizing that it's just a shitty homebrew that has been playtested and made into a decent game.

Of course, trying to get people to play your homebrew can be difficult unless people trust your skills as a system builder, especially strangers. And you shouldn't try to get strangers to play your shit. If you're trying that, you need to be extremely transparent about it (Advertise it as an original system or something) and playtest it with people who want to try out new things or trust you.

In the end, any game is just homebrewed shit that has been polished and playtested.
>>
>>49829618
Excuse me.

>*notion of homebrewing makes ya'll REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>49829618
To those anons defending homebrew, you're not wrong in that there is nothing wrong with it.
I've been there and I understand.

Everyone wants to be Frankenstein and stitch together elements to create life.
And some do.
But the best many can hope for is to gut some whores like Jack the Ripper.
And most of the hombrews out there are just the work of the disturbing kid down the street that cuts up stray cats.
>>
>>49829303
Bitching about idiots and assholes might lose you upvotes.
Hugboxes don't.
God bless /tg/.
>>
>>49825272
>>49825483
Your pain is my pain. Seeing glaring problems and knowing they wont understand your criticism until they see it themselves, then having to actually dedicate the time to doing that has ruined way to many Sundays for me
>>
>>49829618
No one hates homebrew on principle. What they hate is spending their leisure time playtesting their friend's shitty system instead of just enjoying a game that alreasy works.
>>
>>49829618
Not that anon, but it's more about not wanting to spend time on untested, poorly-edited game ideas than it is about disparaging anyone who wants to create a game.

>And you shouldn't try to get strangers to play your shit.
There's a bit of business-wisdom for this kind of thing, called the Three Fs: Friends, Family, and Fools. Those are the groups of people you get to invest in (or in this case playtest) your new idea if nobody with actual resources will... and if someone's asking you to playtest his game for them, then you probably fall into one of those categories from his perspective.
>>
>>49827505
Now I'm off to listen to the theme for an hour straight. I'm not even mad.
>>
>>49829355
Call them munchkins. I know you want to.
>>
>>49829812
I don't disagree with that.

Frankenstein is an ample metaphor for this, I hope my monster is hit by lightning, but... The chance for that is slim, and even that needs time.

It just sucks that I'm kind of out of steam right now. I WANT TO WRITE, but I stare at the rules and my mind draws blank. Sucks.

>>49830075
I agree. That's why I have stopped that, instead playtesting with people who KNOW and are WILLING to do so, instead of just playing some other system. Currently running a solo campaign for one of my GM friends who just absolutely adores my skills as a game maker (I DON'T KNOW WHY AND IT'S CREEPY).

Well, I'm a little privileged about this, I guess. For some reason my friends revere my skills as a game designer, don't really know why but they do.
>>
>>49829303
because reddit is not anonymous
>>
>>49829303
i feel like a lot of people on /tg/ lie about their groups. there is no way every single one of them is as awful as they make it out to be
>>
>>49825588
>>49829408
>>49821691
>Join army
>Turns out to be Chinese Army
>>
>>49825078
What's wrong with your own setting? I find most of DnDs published settings are shit
>>
>>49826834
What's up with Hispanics naming their kids "Jesus"?
>>
>>49831899
Jesús is just a name, coming from the greek form of Yeshua. I don't think it was ever exclusive of big J. I mean, it's not like they call their kids Cristo.
>>
>>49829355
Damn those players who want to make the monk playable!
>>
>>49822086
>>49826019

Autists who have never DMed detected.
>>
>>49831899
>He thinks Jesus as God's son was the first Jesus named person
Kek
>>
>>49829618

> Meaning fuck all game designers?

No. I mean fuck homebrewers. They are not game designers. Game designers actually occasionally know what the fuck they are doing (as long as it's not Paizo or Wizards of the Coast, that is). Homebrewers force together bits and pieces from already existent games and have no overall focus or goal. They just spend all their time on Forge-clone forums jacking each other off and pretending they are creating something new, when in fact they are stirring mashed potatoes into skittles and ketchup and forcing their friends to eat the result.
>>
>>49831983
>Fucks over people who will rules lawyer to the earth and back to protect their munchkin bullshit.
>Fucks over the current spate of folks who seemingly care more about theorycrafting, making the most superest awesomest characters evar, over actually playing with others.
>Basically makes everyone equal with an entirely homebrew system.
>Lol you just want to fuck over people who want to make this thing in this popular game useful.

Just about every homebrew (even the shitty ones) tend to be one of two things, niche the players may all want, or we need a shake-up, plus it lets me see who's here just to masturbate.

>>49832310
>That False Dichotomy
Holy fuck, thank you for reminding me that I'm on 4chan, we had some actual discussion going on here.
>>
>>49827235
>>49826834

This is my new character concept. A guy who is just named "God". His parents named him "God", he's completely unremarkable, and people give him funny looks all the time. It has no significance except that it's his name.

His son will be Chair MacGod.

Thank you, /tg/.
>>
>>49832310
There are very few actually unique game mechanics left (absolutely none if you incorporate free and unsuccessful systems).
What actually makes a system is not a single defining mechanic (d20 is far more than "roll a d20 for primary conflic resolution, add modifiers, compare to target number; R&K is far more than "add two numbers, roll d10's equal to them, keep a number equal to one of the two numbers, add dice results together, compare to target number"), it's the combination of mechanics and incidental rulings regarding their combination.
If every system that shared a mechanic that another system had introduced was considered unoriginal, we would have very few RPGs - probably 2 (OD&D, and the first diceless game, which I believe was maybe the original Empire of The Petal Throne before TSR published it), and the derivations of them.

So shut the fuck up, and let us create. Either we create unwieldy generic systems that get streamlined over time, or we pare our mishmash down into a genre focused set of core rules that expands from there. Or we never learn and fail.
But still.
>>
>>49828612
this happens because he won't/can't buy any dice other than d6s
>>
>>49825491
Fucking this.
>>
>>49832537

Actually we have metric fucktons of dice besides d6. he just insisted on using them because I was using them for my homebrew and he thought it was cool.
>>
>>49832379

> implying I didn't just perfectly describe 90% of the fucks in the /gdg/ thread and the vast majority of RPG homebrewers in general
>>
>>49832534

Where did I say the core mechanic had to be 100% original? No one said that, fuckhead. Apocalypse World and Battletech both use 2d6 for their core mechanic and they are completely different games. That said a new system should improve on an old one's idea in some way, or otherwise create something new. Yes most games do D&D style initiative, D&D style combat, and so on, but they each bring something new to the mix that makes that game worth playing. 90% of homebrews don't have that. Either they have no new mechanics, just rehashes of old ones that are not interesting, or the new mechanics they do have do not warrant the creation of an entire new RPG, and they are full of unwieldy mechanics.

> So shut the fuck up, and let us create. Either we create unwieldy generic systems that get streamlined over time, or we pare our mishmash down into a genre focused set of core rules that expands from there. Or we never learn and fail.

How does any of this indicate quality? Save for possibly EngineHearts there has never been a homebrew game that actually succeeded or did well. Mostly because the ones that did were made into the first RPG design companies, which since have been the only RPGs worth playing.

I don't care if you create. What I care about is you and every other obnoxious autist who decides to start a google doc homebrew, insisting your groups "playtest" your shitty game. Then get salty when people don't want to play it because it is boring and overcomplicated as fuck while offering nothing interesting in mechanics or character creation options.
>>
>>49827505

That is the most massive forehead I have ever seen
>>
>>49821691
Homebrew scares off new shits and people who don't wanna have a good time. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>49831983

Any class and archetype is playable and viable.

Unless you're a minmaxing autist that REEES when a build deals slightly less than optimal damage and doesn't realize that you don't have to be a perfect Mary Sue to have fun
>>
>>49831983
But the monk is playable
>>
>>49834664

Not the guy you're responding to, but all works of engineering, art, cooking, or what have at you have all had to go through a lot of editing and testing before it became worth a damn.

If those shitty homebrewers are committed though, they will keep on testing their system until it is worth playing; and then continue to test and improve upon it.

The quality comes as the game gets edited. What I say makes a game designer worth their salt is how hard they work on improving their product.
>>
How would you guys interpret me improving the lore in shadowruns Cleveland and Pittsburgh while staying true to the core rules (with exception of simplifying hacking in the beginning) and making my own runs? Would that be a bad case of homebrewing?
>>
>>49821691
There's nothing wrong with homebrew systems. If you want to avoid them try asking what the DM's running.
>>
File: 14u9vs.jpg (157KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
14u9vs.jpg
157KB, 720x480px
>tfw no group to playtest my homebrew system
>>
>>49821941
I had a 3.5e campaign that was strictly by the book.

Weirdest campaign I ever played. Everyone simultaneously agreed about 7 sessions in to just drop it and not bother to pick it up again.
>>
>>49826753
There's a pretty good D20 modern system for that, I believe.
>>
>>49834839
Welcome to Code Lyoko.
>>
>>49834839
>forehead
>not fivehead

I'm disappointed.
>>
>>49821691
how do i play dnd. i want to play but have like 2 friends and there's no local scene as far as i know
>>
>>49837304
Can you convince both your friends to give it a try? Because 3 people is enough for a game. You might want to throw a non-player character in the party to pad them out a bit and give them one more person to interact with, but that would be up to you. I started out game mastering with no previous play experience, so you could do similarly. I'd suggest you start with something relatively simple to ease the process though.

Go to this thread >>49830480 and check out Here's Some Fucking D&D (if you want a skeletal two-page deal) or Barbarians of Lemuria (if you want a full-length but very minimalist game). The current edition of D&D (5e) isn't terrible for beginners, but is much more involved Barbarians of Lemuria.
>>
>>49829234
>I'm so edgy I shit razor blades.
>>
>>49834919
>Homebrew scares off new shits and people who don't wanna have a good time. Prove me wrong.
Can't be done.
Good job.
Of course it's because the subset you describe is within the scope of this truth:
>Homebrew scares off nearly everyone

But good job, your statement was 100% valid.
>>
File: 1436658788169.jpg (164KB, 800x401px) Image search: [Google]
1436658788169.jpg
164KB, 800x401px
>>49835184
>What I say makes a game designer worth their salt is how hard they work on improving their product.
This.
That includes how willing they are to see its faults.
>>
File: 1425486731994.jpg (220KB, 1050x526px) Image search: [Google]
1425486731994.jpg
220KB, 1050x526px
>>49838137
>>
>>49835293
>How would you guys interpret me improving the lore in shadowruns Cleveland and Pittsburgh
Not a Shadowrun guy, but that sounds like fluff.
Homebrew fluff is always better than crunch.

>while staying true to the core rules
Good instinct

>(with exception of simplifying hacking in the beginning)
From what I've heard, sounds like it would be a welcome idea.

>and making my own runs?
>ArcherDoYouNot?.jpg

>Would that be a bad case of homebrewing?
That looks 100% fine.
Unless your hacking hombrew rules are really, really retarded.
>>
>>49831958

>he thinks they don't name their kids Cristo

>or Chris
>>
>>49825159
>try giving one of those guys DM of the Ring to read as a hint
>"oh man this was amazing I wanna run game just like that"
>>
File: this episode man.jpg (12KB, 249x213px) Image search: [Google]
this episode man.jpg
12KB, 249x213px
>>49821691
but i just want to run a 5th edition Dark Sun game!

I'm tired of 3.5
>>
>>49822086
So we have a guy who's coming back around for his turn as DM.

He wants to hybridize AD&D 2nd edition and Vampire 20th Anniversary. How fucked am I?
>>
>>49821691
>DM
Hmm... Maybe you have a bias there.
>>
File: valvravePlotTwists.jpg (70KB, 750x499px) Image search: [Google]
valvravePlotTwists.jpg
70KB, 750x499px
>DM made a homebrew system
>Rejects all criticism, even when asking for it

>DM claims to have fixed a broken or unplayable class
>What fucked the class up remains unchanged

>DM "balanced" his homebrew and added more player classes
>Adding the new classes was the balance
>>
>>49839209
Should be easy enough.
Just make players who travel in metal armour and/or without drinking water roll con saves against exhaustion.
>>
>>49826753
Make yourself a "5e Orange-iental Adventures" flashcard to soothe your soul using art from an old Oriental Adventures cover.
>>
>>49821691
>friend calls you over
>he bought a bunch of minis , dungeontiles and dice
>"hey anon, wann DM a game for us"?
>"why not , where are the rulebooks?"
>"there are no rulebooks"

and this is the story of how i became forever DM , made a homebrew and never even looked into any kind of official system. at least we work on it within the group
>>
>>49825507
iktfbro
>>
>>49835031
>>49835046
>Chained monk
>Playable in 3.PF
Kek
>B-but it's if nobody is minmaxing
The moment someone says "I'm going to be a cleric or a druid" the monk is useless, the other dude doesn't even need to pick anything, those classes by itself are better than the monk at anything
>>
>>49840027
Umonk is better, but not much better, it's damage is laughable as fuck, my 8th level char deals 25 on average against AC 22 even while having Power Attack, Elbow Smash, Str 22 and AoMF +1 and monk's belt.
>>
File: 1280241641392.jpg (35KB, 418x455px) Image search: [Google]
1280241641392.jpg
35KB, 418x455px
>>49821691
>join new campaign
>GM is tolerating furries
>>
Let's share horror stories.
Get invited to a group (only know one player, but I'm a confident, charismatic and all around excellent human being) where the DM has his own homebrew thing going on. The guy asks me what character I want to play.

Fuck it, let's not get too fancy, make me edgy bounty hunter man with crossbow. He just delivers that shit and lets me roll like 6 dice for HP. So AC works as damage reduction, instead of chance of getting hit. Chance of getting is determined by whether the guy doing the hitting can roll under their "to hit" skill, so actually you want your skills and attributes to be as low as possible. You can dodge "where you have to roll under your "dodge" skill but you forfeit your action. Okay, okay, that makes some sense right?

Well there's also abilities with like a daily cooldown. For instance I had bear trap as an ability. I didn't have a set amount of bear traps, I just kept pulling them out of my ass, until my daily resource points are expended and then I no longer pull them out of my ass (I had other abilities like the avenger ability from 4E, but I only used bear trap, because it was essentially a nuke + stun for people chasing me). I also had like 3 Heroic Points which, as far as I gathered were "for life", so I could use those to do a heroic action, like attack twice or whatever and they only recharged when I did something heroic.

Fair enough, and then there was my "ultimate" which was completely useless "deal extra damage to all enemies in X area." Well, you know, it was very videogamey, but it made zero sense for me. So anyway, this was the tale of my guy the bear trap shitter. The group disbanded short after due to reasons not related to me. It was a bit cringe and and unbalanced hot mess. The group also DM's girlfriend syndrome.
>>
Guy guy guys, I know I'm late to the party. But to all the people who say homebrews are wasting their free time.

Niggah how is the gm obliged to fill your free time? Just say you don't want to play his shit, and don't, fucking weaselly little shits.
>>
>>49825356
Liar.

If you actually ever did blow, you would know that he would be doing coke while world building. If he ever did it during sessions, it would be throughout the entire thing.
>>
>>49825491
I am experiencing the same thing.

All the players on Roll20 that say that are interested flake on the first fucking game.
>>
>>49840133
I know that feeling
>join a new game
>GM is tolerating homosexuals
why.jpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>49836367
What was weird about it?
>>
>>49827741
>>49828612
Because /tg/ is 95% composed of casual DMs who don't really understand the rules and people who do but use them solely for abusive purposes to godmode their kitsune vampire futanari abomination. These people torture each other just by existing in the same community; only one of them, however, really wants to talk about the game (as opposed to their waifus).

So, threads like these. Obviously pretty much any game more complex than FAE or the Window is going to benefit heavily from homebrew and obviously it's not that fucking hard because celebrated professional RPG developers don't fall from the moon, they're homebrewers with pricetags.

It does require a particular ATTITUDE about design, though. You have to understand that you're not an artist, you're a programmer with a hardon for aesthetics. Something needs to be functional before it matters if it's pretty, and functionality is objective. You need to investigate your work instead of marveling at it.

Also, playtesting and consultation. You need to have competent friends. Your end product will always be crippled by casuals flipping shit about anything that isn't an exact copy of a previous experience they'd had; remember that in D&D 3.5, one of the most infuriatingly top-to-bottom broken systems ever released, the warlock was widely considered insanely overpowered for more than a year after its release by hordes of people who simply balked at the novelty. They couldn't evaluate that novelty, they just knew it was THERE. Those guys can't help you playtest or design; they'll judge whatever you finish, but for the love of God keep them the fuck out of your process.
>>
>>49839316
This is a Paizo joke, right?\
>>
>>49840662
except despite alt-right memes, homosexuals don't ACTUALLY molest children, aren't ACTUALLY suffering from mental illness, and smell like designer cologne / girl shampoo (can't fuck up) instead of like meat sweat / meat sweat (meat sweat)

There were polls in the Concession Comics and Furaffinity forums, arguably the two largest furry groupings on the internet, after that one pedophile comic scandal about how many furries had either had "inappropriate" contact with a minor or felt "confused" or frustrated by statutory laws.

64%
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.