[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what kind of magic the gathering player are you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 14

File: Johnny.jpg (574KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Johnny.jpg
574KB, 1024x768px
what kind of magic the gathering player are you?
>>
I am loyal through and through and have a heart that's true.
>>
>>49812254
Vorthos
>>
Somewhere between Timmy and Johnny. I pretty much only play EDH these days, and all of my decks are flimsily designed to form dumb combos that result in more dumb shit happening on the board.
>>
One that quit.
>>
>>49812254
I'd say I lean towards Johnny. I do like big numbers, so I'm a little Timmy, and I do build mostly optimized decks so a little Spike. But right now I'm brewing Abzan Company with a sideboard that changes the deck to Bant Knightfall, so I guess I'm a style>substance kind of player.
>>
>>49812254
Vorthos
>>
>>49812254
Vorthos. Is there any other answer?
>>
Timmy. My Vorthos died when Jace took over.
>>
>>49812254
I'm mostly a Timmy-Johnny, with enough Spike to keep the deck practical. Not a serious player by any means. Mostly just casual Commander. I would like to have added Vorthos to the mix, but I've been told repeatedly by /tg/ that while the lore is not worth getting into, some of the world-building is decent enough to steal ideas from, like putting not!Myr into Eberron.
>>
>>49812254
The Yugioh kind
>>
I imagine my deck as an extension of me; copying someone else's deck is unthinkable. I've never netdecked. Making your own deck multiplies the glory of victory so much more.
>>
Fuck if I know, what is the name for someone who wants to make thematic decks just because they look cool when put together?
I'd say Timmy but I like small critters instead of big things.
Tribal decks are my calling, and a board full of suicidal goblins that attack whenever able is my dream.
>>
>>49812254
Former.
>>
File: Fog_2U.jpg (25KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Fog_2U.jpg
25KB, 223x310px
Turbofag.

Wizards tried to kill us, be we prevail in very small numbers.
Green control will live.
>>
I had some cards when I was a kid mainly trading Pokemon cards and playing yu go oh with friends while basically not understanding the rules, but I started getting into magic proper during Rise of the Eldrazi. My first mythic was emrakul. I fucking love giant, destructive creatures that have a big impact every time they attack. Anything smaller than a 10/10 is a chump blocker to me. My favorite deck uses soul sisters, ajanis pride mate, storm herd, and overwhelming stampede to swing with two hundred 30/30 flyers.

So uh... Timmy I guess.
>>
>>49813489
This.
>>
Spike/Johnny on the streets, Vorthos in the sheets.
>>
>>49812254
Timmy, I think, but I'm addicted to card advantage instead of big men with trample so it might be obscured somewhat.
>>
Please respect the MtG team's equality policy by referring to it as Johnny OR Jenny, Timmy OR Tammy guise.
>>
>>49812254
None whatsoever.
>>
>>49813981
(You)
>>
File: Image.png (127KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
127KB, 223x311px
Thopter spam.
>>
control timmy
>>
File: Consume+Spirit+%5BMRD%5D.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Consume+Spirit+%5BMRD%5D.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>49814362
forgot pic
>>
>>49812254
The one with the waifu cardsleeves.
>>
>>49812254
Vorthos/spike

Say it with me "optimized spike tribal" deck
>>
>>49812964

Depends on what era of lore you're talking. Weatherlight Crew was pretty meh from what I heard, but the Urza novels that went on before that were A plus. Kamigawa cycle was amazing, Purifying Fire was just decent, I hear Ravnica is as good as Kamigawa, and Agents of Artifice is better than PF, but lower than Kami/Rav. The online stories...well, I have shit taste and enjoy some of the Jacestice League stories, but a lot of them are still really basic and boring. Just read the Planeswalkers Guides if you're looking for world building, it's what Magic is best at anyways.
>>
Vorthos and whatever the designation is for someone who likes synergy over anything else
>>
I used to be a Johnny but making combos just isn't as fun if Wizards are seeding them.

These days I just lazily cobble together RG decks and play with my brain turned off.
>>
>>49812254
apparently i'm Timmy, with a little vorthos.
I love certain sets because of their art/plot and hate others because of the same, but at the same time cool/big creatures>all
>>
>>49813150
What format(s) do you play and how far do you take your special snowflake approach? Do you take suggestions when offered? Do you check EDHREC for the "must haves" for commander?
I like bringing janky shit that nobody's ever heard of to game nights, but it's still tucked into a good shell of playable stuff.
>>
Mostly Timmy however I do run a Izzet Chaos EDH & Have a Sliver EDH (minus legion and queen) and I only have one modern competitive deck and it is GU Infect
>>
File: Vorthos_2.jpg (70KB, 616x451px) Image search: [Google]
Vorthos_2.jpg
70KB, 616x451px
Are Vorthos autistic?
>>
>>49815098
Sometimes there's a shell. I'm just now getting back into the game, but when I last played (Standard RTR-THE) my decks have always been brewed.
>>
>>49812974
so johnny?
>>
>>49812254
The type that hasn't played in five years.
>>
Back in the day when I played, I stuck with mono Black. Had a solid win streak for a while using mainly zombies and shades.

After a while I just quit, sold my cards and started working on my own board game.
>>
>>49816551
Yes and I'm one too
>>
What is mono black control/lifelink/flying/unblockable called?
>>
>>49814507
Weatherlight crew was rad.
>>
>>49818140
Casual.
>>
File: wwCBE5Z.gif (494KB, 387x305px) Image search: [Google]
wwCBE5Z.gif
494KB, 387x305px
Casual of course. I pity those who are slaves to standard.

I play kitchen table and EDH.

Main deck is mono black. I usually don't win, but often come in 2nd. Don't care. The deck does what I want it to. Massive hordes of deathtouch zombies, flying beasts, and then removal for days.

I also have like 7 other EDH decks and will honestly play whatever. I like all the colors. I prefer when people switch up their decks instead of always playing their one good deck. It's a sign of a good player and a good deckbuilder.

I'd say overall the quality (cost) of my decks is like 80% compared to dedicated players. I just don't really care to drop 20 bucks on one card, much less a play set or full rotation shift. For instance, I said hell no to Collected Company.

I'm a good sport, and not a table flipper since I expect to be killed off at some point. I will pursue or defend certain players, but only after in game context.

I might want to play some Star Wars or LOTR after MTG though.
>>
File: 1279528003020.jpg (93KB, 500x523px) Image search: [Google]
1279528003020.jpg
93KB, 500x523px
I used to think I was Timmy and Johnny, but I've steadily found I'm just plain ol' Timmy through and through.
I want to do THAT THING and build decks entirely around THAT THING and I don't care if I win or lose so long as THAT THING hits the board then I'm cool.
"THAT THING" can be anything from summon Emrakul or blast someone for 50 damage or make a fuckton of zombies or cast every Shadowborn Apostle in my deck or assemble Kaldra.
Just because THAT THING can end up being somewhat intricate doesn't mean I'm a combo player, I think I've determined.
>>
>>49818452
sauce?
>>
I like to just have fun. I play Demon Stompy, Leylines, Cheerios, just generally fucking around and having a good time.
>>
>>49818393
Wow that is what I was going to type out except with one exception to losing.
>One guy In our table top group claims he is broke and only has one deck (Timmy Hydra's)
>Okay.png
>Plays a Full playset of primordial and managorger Hydra
>Bitches and has a autistic shitfit when he gets focused first.
This is the reason why I have slowly moved away from our table top group and now attend my lgs EDH Beerhall night were there is casual drinking and only non serious EDH
>>
>>49818464
Hitori Nabe × Futari Nabe by your good friend ShindoL.
>>
>>49818248
Sounds about right.
Still wins though.
>>
>>49818537
Thanks...I guess...
>>
>>49818566
Don't worry, ShindoL kept the despair in for that one.
It's actually pretty heartwarming.
>>
>>49812572
My nigga. EDH isn't my bag, but dumb combos and fun interaction is the shit I live for. So I guess I'm also a Melvin?
>>
>>49818577
Cool, thanks.
>>
File: IMG_2352.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2352.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I'm friendly and love the game but secretly despise tryhards and shitters alike.
>>
Johnny/spike with a side of vorthos.

I like crazy combos, but LOVE value. And i even so far as making sure my basic lands fit the "theme" of muh deck
>>
>>49814560
Thats a Marvin (i think) and is actually the opposite of a vorthos
>>
>>49812254

The one whom started playing during Invasion and quit for my third and final time last year.
>>
Johnny / Spike.
I enjoy optimizing decks and building complete decks (aka a deck is 15 cards, not 60 - the sideboard is part of the deck design) and fine tuning with lots of testing and experimentation.

That being said, the decks I love to play are more on the side of combo or midrange. For example, Aristrocrats is one of my most favourite archetypes and it is a basically a value engine that can also win by combo in a few ways. Needless to say I was pumped to see Zulaport Cutthroat and Rally the Ancestors in Standard.
>>
>>49819065
Obviously meant to type "a deck is 75 cards, not 60".
>>
>>49812254
Then one who makes very stupid decks that can be much deadlier than they actually are.
>>
File: tourneyfag.jpg (22KB, 254x225px) Image search: [Google]
tourneyfag.jpg
22KB, 254x225px
spike
>>
>>49818887
Im exactly the same
>>
Johnny/Spike

I like to win, but I will win my own way.
>>
Casual Johnny that prefers EDH, mostly control decks of the Blue variety.

I run a Mono-Blue Devotion/Merfolk/Control deck with Thasa, an Izzet Pseudo-Storm deck with Mizzix, Azorious Spirit/Blink with Geist, and Esper Artifact Control with Sen Triplets.
>>
>>49813407
That is Vorthos. When theme and lore are more important.
>>
File: Hillbilly_003_008.jpg (2MB, 2014x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Hillbilly_003_008.jpg
2MB, 2014x3056px
Spike with a hint of Jonney. At the end of tje day, Combo/stax just happens to be the most effective way to win in edh and turning creatures sideways is boring.
>>
>>49812254
>what kind of magic the gathering player are you?

Casual.

If I have to use MtG's player profiles, I'm mostly a Timmy with a little bit of Johnny. I straight up love Creature: The Tappening and I love hitting things with big stompy creatures. My most successful EDH deck is just ramp and trample. I also think that deciding how and when to attack and block is an underappreciated part of the game.

The Johnny side comes in because I actually do love a well executed combo. But only a little Johnny because I'm really bad at seeing the parts of the combo myself.
>>
>>49812254
Straight down the middle blend of Timmy, Johnny, and Spike. It's kind of annoying - I wish I wasn't so much of a Spike.

I like decks like Squirrels that have cool or funny themes behind them but still have enough power and reliability to be good in most situations. Though I'm still mostly a novice player lol, so I don't even know if Squirrels are that viable.
>>
>>49812254
The kind that builds 'themed' decks with his best friend and mostly makes YGOTAS references when they meet up to play once every few months.

>hehe, you can never defeat my poorly-thought out but undeniably consistent deck of bug cards!
>>
File: smugbob.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
smugbob.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
I just play EDH because I like being that one guy at the table that makes you regret doing anything to me.
>>
>>49812254
>tfw always wanted to play
>tfw never had any friends
>>
>>49822932
>I also think that deciding how and when to attack and block is an underappreciated part of the game.
it used to be fun when combat tricks with the stack were a thing

now it's less interesting
>>
>>49823649
You sound like That Guy.
>>
I guess I am a johhny / spike. I love janky nonsensical brews but I always try to tune them as far as I can. Usually to great success. My friends would probably say I'm more of a spike than anything else.
>>
>>49812254
The one who only briefly dabbled in it but whose friends jumped him and bought him packs so he could play with them more often and who disappointed all of them with his inevitable retreat from the hobby.
>>
>>49812254
A really, really bad one.
>>
Vorthos with some spike and johnny leanings as i am neither an obsessive winner or combo-fag
just that i prefer to win and prefer combos.
>>49816551
i thought edmunds were the autists
>>
Timmy Vorthos baby.
good God I love my BU Innistrad Zombie deck.
>>
Spike. I play to win and win to play. My deck is copied directly from a pro player and I feel no shame.

I play modern infect and love being matched against home brews as they register as a free win in my eyes.
>>
>>49812254
I really only play commander, so this array of decks might give some insight

>Mayael with a SHITLOAD of fatties
>Meren Gravepact Combos
>Daxos Control
>Trostani tokens, go wide or go home
>Leovold Elf tribal/control

And I have a Sen Triplets "Fuck Combos" deck in the making.
>>
I'm the sort of player that just really wants to have fun, turning a few big dudes sideways and smashing face and generating a million mana. That's why I moved to EDH and my main deck is Drana.

I recently had a taste of Gitrog resilience and combo stuff and now I can't stop help me please what is happening
>>
>>49812254
I'm the one who goes to locals when there is clearly a yu-gi-oh tournament and complain nobody is playing magic
>>
>>49818537
Well then. I got a boner.
>>
Timmy player who thinks like a spikr.
I hate WotC because they love printing cards that look fun but then deliberately nerf them into unplayability out of fear of fun shit being overpowered.
And the broken shit is always just super efficient boring stuff like TC and DTT
>>
>>49812254
Johnny
>>
Johnny-Spike Vorthos checking in.
>>
>>49825364

STOP COMING TO ALL DAY ROLEPLAYING AND BOARDGAMING YOU FAGGOT, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYING WITH NEW PEOPLE NOT TAKING UP TABLES
>>
>>49812254
I'm the one that stares at art and lore and owns a total of 0 cards
>>
I don't really feel like playing if I'm not allowed to play Cheatyface/Shahrazad or other stupid stuff.
>>
>>49825656
Shahrazad is just straight up boring though. Chaos Orb is fun however
>>
>>49825662
>gameception is boring
>having taste THIS shit
>>
>>49825698
It's fun hearing about, but hardly experiencing it.
>>
>>49812254
One no longer.

I found out there were games that could let me have a horde of zombies, ghouls and badass necromancers that didn't rely on me randomly picking the things I wanted from a stack while some cheese-ass faggot babby loaded his with things that let him undo everything I tried to do with some shit-eating grin on his face because apparently there are enough cheap variants of "counter this spell", "send this card back to the owner's hand", and "take control of this creature your opponent has" that a blueberry faggot can play with no creatures of his own and still win.
>>
What do you call a player that's primarily focused on creating the cheapest yet still competitive decks possible? Inb4 poorfag
>>
File: 1475893549985-tg.jpg (31KB, 426x288px) Image search: [Google]
1475893549985-tg.jpg
31KB, 426x288px
>>49812254
Stax cancer-Johnny.
>>
>>49825903
git gud

like seriously dude, holy shit
>>
>>49825929
Why would I get good at a game where the base elements of the game turned me off and the other players came off as intrinsically caustic when I could get good at a game that had base elements I liked and had players who were more supportive when they found out I was new to the hobby?

Literally the only thing card games have over wargames at this point is a first-timer can go buy a starter deck for like $10 and be playing with his own stuff within an hour. He'll be stomped on by everyone else and treated like shit, sure, but that's what he gets for picking something with only one positive quality.
>>
IS there a name for a player who keeps slowing down the game via boardwipes?
>>
>>49825965
I don't think you play tabletop RPGs either then, because any thief character would make you bawww your eyes out
>>
>>49826004
Thief characters can't just proclaim your attacks don't work the minute you try them.
>>
>>49812302
I got it!
>>
Timmy/Spike, I guess.

What I want to do is just play things and let the game go wherever. But if I'm facing someone competitive, I'm not ok with losing and switch to Spike type of behavior.
>>
>>49825903
>>49825965
>>49826029
As usual, counterspells sort the wheat from the chaff.
>>
>>49825903
>>49825965
>this incredibly butthurt casual
Dealing with counterspells is like the second thing you learn. In general, decks that prioritize counters get absolutely fucked once something half-decent hits the field.

Now, there are things in magic to bitch about. Stax can be awful sometimes, but I don't think you've played long enough to recognize pure shittery when you encounter it.

To be fair, your assessment was right. You shouldn't play magic because it doesn't sound like something you enjoy.
>>
File: IMG_3630.jpg (32KB, 680x497px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3630.jpg
32KB, 680x497px
Spike
>>
>>49812254
Johnny/Melvin

I'm definitely a Johnny, but not so much into I win the game combos as I am building a deck that exploits weird rule interactions or tries to do dumb stuff like make a Mutant Ninja Turtle creature type.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.