[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is complete immortality a gift or curse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12

File: 1476184488653.png (1MB, 1200x905px) Image search: [Google]
1476184488653.png
1MB, 1200x905px
Is complete immortality a gift or curse?
>>
A gift at first, a curse later.
>>
File: Thenamelessone.jpg (19KB, 320x299px) Image search: [Google]
Thenamelessone.jpg
19KB, 320x299px
>>
>>49785969
of course its a gift.
>>
What can change the nature of a man?
>>
>>49785987
>>49785993

I'm too late. Like always.
>>
>>49785969
Depends how does your body deal with tissue damage. If you can be cut apart and eventually gro back, it's a gift. If you stay cut apart forever but do not die, it's not so great.
>>
>>49785969
Yes.
>>
>>49785993
A kitty.
>>
>>49786013
Complete as in nothing can crush/slice/delimb. You will always be in the same form forever no aging ect
>>
>>49785969
Depends, if immortalilty means you just can't die and, for example, you get your limbs cut off... Bad

If however it also means your indistructable, then worlds your oyster, go crazy!
>>
>>49785969
Gieb me Dae Aegus :DDDD
>>
A gift if you're addicted to killing yourself
>>
File: Garlic Jr..png (233KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
Garlic Jr..png
233KB, 300x450px
>>49785969
It's pretty great.

The only real problem is that you'll definitely live long enough to fuck it up.
>>
>>49786035
Can you still feel pain? How far does the "no deformation" thing go? Could I still "deform" my cheek by poking into it?
>>
>>49785969
Gift. I don't care about sadness or loss. Even if I did I'd get over it in a million years. Humanity has developed many ways of dealing with grief and boredom and they only live for like 100 years tops, if I could live for infinity all things would be inconsequential compared to myself.

I hate "immortality is a curse" stories that are so small minded as to have someone get bored and sad in a thousand years or so. I want in for the long haul. I don't want to just see the future, I want to see the end of the future. I want to see the earth blow up. I want to see the suns go out. I want to see the universe collapse. I want to see what happens afterwards.

I want the birth and death of existence on my minute hand.
>>
>>49786202
>universe collapses into a single atom

>forever crunched
>>
>>49786035

Can I shave? Do I grow my hair? What happens if I get trapped in a tight spot or overpowered to be buried alive?
>>
Would you continue to exist after the heat death of the universe?
>>
>>49786261
You wont die you would just be stuck underground
>>
>>49785987
Came her to post [updated my journal]
>>
File: x1Q4vZW.jpg (47KB, 452x640px) Image search: [Google]
x1Q4vZW.jpg
47KB, 452x640px
>>49785969
Depends on the setting
>>
>>49785969
the worst thing would be this:
imagine your planet explodes and you are left to drift into space, not only you will drift for God knows how long, but imagine if you get caught into a star's gravitational pull and crush on it, or a black hole
you'd be stuck for possibly BILLIONS of years
>>
>>49786244
>Implying it won't re-expand and restart the cycle
>Implying you can't go back in time by going forward in time far enough
>>
It comes and goes

One day you are super depressed because your wife is on her deathbed and you will be seperated by the veil of the afterlife forever. Then a few centuries later you get to have the experience of sitting on the throne of an emperor as the capital burns down around your feet while drinking wine and eating cured meats.

Also significantly less miserable if there are other immortals.
>>
A gift for you
A curse for whatever world you're on
>>
All life will at some point expire.
All technology will eventually break.
You will be very bored around then.
Imagine it, once the world is consumed by the sun (and you will likely be alive to see i)t you will end up being tossed around.
You could end up in the center of a star unable to move, or the center of a world. Lost in space endlessly .
No matter how fun it may be in the present the future will only bring boredom
>>
>>49786202
I never understood vampire stories that go on about centuries being a long ass time. Yeah you would get bored of immortal hedonism eventually but it would take more than a few dozen decades.
>>
>>49786273
Imagine it, your indestructible body would be the spark that sets off the next big bang. You'd be a god! You'd literally birth a new universe in a horrifically dense gravity well of an explosion.
>>
>>49785993
Banging feisty tiefling that's totally into you but will not admit it until you make her toes curl and reminding mature dignified succubus what it feels like to be actually impressed with a man. At the same time. While snarky floating skull watches.
>>
A curse. The only thing that could offer real immortality is magic and if magic exists then so does the afterlife. So why bother being immortal on earth.

Same thing with vampires.
>>
File: morte.jpg (20KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
morte.jpg
20KB, 480x480px
>>49786812
I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me
>>
>>49786497

This, to be honest.

Eventually, you will be trapped alone forever. Maybe it will be trapped alone on a hostile Earth as its environment has drastically changed, unable to breath but unable to die.

If you are lucky enough for us to develop space travel, you can get off our world before it dies. But doing that dramatically increases your chances of being stranded in the middle of space with no hope of rescue ever. I'm not sure what would be worse, floating in space forever, unable to do anything but count stars and flail around helplessly, or to fall into a gas giant or star and be stuck in place for the res of the universe under enormous pressure.

Its not a matter of loss or ennui. if you live forever, that means you WILL outlive anything resembling a habitable environment for humanity. You will be alone. Forever. In a place with no form of entertainment or distraction from the years.

If you are very lucky, you will go mad or circumstances will allow you to be rendered unconscious even if not killed.
>>
Give it to me and ask me if I'd like you to take it back in a billion years.
>>
File: CHIM.jpg (37KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
CHIM.jpg
37KB, 480x360px
>>49786761
Sometimes I like to think that's where worlds "dreamt" into existence like the Elder Scrolls universe come from.
>>
>>49786865
>if magic exists then so does the afterlife
I have no idea where you're getting that from.
You can't have afterlife without magic, but that doesn't mean you can't have magic without afterlife.
>>
>>49786761
One of the first things an immortal should learn is how to induce a coma on himself, maybe some buddhist monk technique designed to conserve energy or a metal spike to the base of the skull

So instead of being bored you'll just be unconscious til somebody recovers your body and disturbs you.
>>
>>49787091
Yeah that was retarded my bad I think I read Immortal and my brain went straight to vampires for some reason.
>>
>>49785969
It's a gift only if you are Gååååd Keeeng Skooooovaaaalt!
>>
>>49787143
We are looking at great swaths of time in which you will be lost to the void.
It will be eternities (likely because even time may cease) before you could find any other forms of sapient life.
That coma must be able to resist being smashed around. Being swallowed by stars, entire tectonic movements.
A little faggot monkey pokcing you should not have woken you up.
>>
>>49786805
I was coming here to say heat death, but when you put it that way....well, yeah, godhood would be fun.
>>
It seems like it would depend on the kind of person you are, or might become.

Goals and patience are probably key.
>>
>>49785969
Gift, because you'd have infinite time to find a way and become omnipotent, effectively negating all cons. And then you could just fuck with people, make some other gods, who would think that they've actually created all of this and then fuck with them. Shit's fun, yo
>>
>>49785969

A gift for a long time, but a curse for infinitely longer. Most of the "boo immortality" tropes are either sour grapes that make no sense (people with regular lifespans also grieve over lost loved ones) or else a misunderstanding of the tropes of these stories (turning evil or depressed isn't an inherent consequence of immortality you dumb shits, it's a tradeoff applied to a specific magical method of immortality used in a story because the writer needed some dramatic conflict and an awesome benefit needs to have an equally terrible cost).

But for all that immortality is generally pretty bitchin', being totally unable to die means that sooner or later you will end up in a black hole or trapped in a star or in some other way isolated for human contact longer than the human mind is designed to be. Which is about three weeks. At which point you go bugfuck insane and no, that is not an entertaining process. It's not that all the hundreds of thousands of reports of people who say isolation is the worst torture they've ever experienced in their entire life just weren't wacky enough to make it work, it's that you're a sheltered idiot who doesn't know what you're getting into.
>>
>>49787143
>An ancient evil awakens
>>
>>49785969
Depends on what kind of life you have, what are your goals, morals, expectations and past experiences. Do you harbor much trauma, regret, disappointment? Are you able and willing to enjoy little things or only what you lack and what you aspire to can keep you going?

Ultimately, likely>>49785982 - though for some people it will take a really long time and it will be more like a dull, bothersome and lasting inconvenience forcing them into finding a way into mortality or just unconsciousness forever. Others may start to hate it rather soon.
>>
File: Rom's and Pilgrim.png (2MB, 1280x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Rom's and Pilgrim.png
2MB, 1280x1076px
>>49788137
Not even evil, just really, really damn bored, and he wants to show you his primeval memes and the OC game setting game he has developed to pass the time.
>>
>>49787805
You forget about the timeframe. You think goal of attaining omnipotence would take a long time, and average person would be kind o ftired and annoyed of life by then. Just because you'd be immortal it wouldn't be "you'll get there eventually". Compare you, for example, to drink only water and eat only one type of mix-it-all salad and vitamin pills (nothing else, at all, no matter what) for a month, for every meal. Just several times as horrible, likely.

And even if you would be very determined and there would be a way to achieve godhood, remember that after all those experiences and time you wouldn't likely care - who would be there to udnerstand your joke, why would you care after years upon years of messing with people to mess with people more? All those people would pass away anyway, you'd forget that you messed with them. Again, apathy and repetition - how many billions of times you'd mess with people before noticing you just do the same boring stuff to some random folks you wont' care for or remember? How many billions of years of godhood and creating gods befre you'd decide there's no point?

I agree with anons. It'd be a gift for quite some time but at the end of it, you wouldn't be able to maintain sanity since our minds, expectations and goals we were taught as kids and grew up with are tailored to human timeframe. After that you'd be either miserable or you'd have to have your mind and personality broken and twisted into utter inhuman shit to keep on going - not necessarily evil, miserable shit, but something quite alien to how normal people are.
>>
File: tumblr_lxmvn1u1E81r8hth9o1_400.jpg (13KB, 334x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lxmvn1u1E81r8hth9o1_400.jpg
13KB, 334x400px
>>49786573
Divine shadow pls leave
>>
>>49786035
That's actually the one thing I would ask for if I had a wish. I thought about it a lot and believe it vould definitely be used for good, to make long term plans, study several fields etc.
>>
>>49786035
What about black holes then?
>>
File: 1473548928167.jpg (182KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1473548928167.jpg
182KB, 1024x1024px
>>49786761
>a BBEG that 'lived' long ago, tormented by his existence, finally found a way to disconnect through meditation
>a party member manages to break his concentration
>>
>>49788444
Stealing that
>>
>>49788312
You could just make yourself not care, or get over it, or go insane after the fact, making dealing with it easier. Or you could delete the concept of boredom for yourself. And then you would be able to do whatever you need to entertain yourself.
>>
>>49785969
Depends on the kind of person you are.

Im optomistic and have a good view of the world so I'd love to see it develop. Im also a introvert so I wouldn't have a lot of friends I'd miss. I also wouldn't make a billion new friends over and over just to lose them in the blink of a eye like a social butterfly.

A pesimistic that already focuses too much on the bad already, would try to commit suicide around half a century or two in. They'd bitch and moan about the death around them. Pretty much waste their gift and hate it. Or eventually learn not to be a whiney bitch.
>>
Im only 50 years into immortality, ask me again the distant future and ill tell you....
>>
>>49790640

Could you spare a cup of eternity neighbor?
>>
>>49786761
Eventually that star will burn out. eventually that world will break. eventually something will happen. I want to be around to see the next thing. what is a few billion years trapped in a sun compared to infinite time?
>>
File: repetition.png (172KB, 726x146px) Image search: [Google]
repetition.png
172KB, 726x146px
>>49786573
>>49786805
>long ago gained power to transfer essence
> give yourself your own immortality
>>
Here's a question that I don't think gets asked often enough.

With immortality, do you have perfect memory? If not, are we to assume the human mind as we know it is capable of remember several hundred if not thousands of years worth of thought? At some point do you just start losing everything that happened 300 years ago?

If you have perfect memory, loneliness won't matter much during the inevitable end. You'll just retreat into your mind and relive all your past experiences.

However, THAT can be it's own curse. I've heard reports from people with hyperthymesia that they are near incapable of moving on from loss or trauma (which you will experience during eternity) because all the sights, sounds, or smells that remind us of the event, but are slowly lost of mis-remembered are ever present for them. They can't move on because they keep getting dragged back to that moment.
>>
Depends on what kind of immortality you're talking about. What happens if my arm is cut off?
>>
>>49785969
Depends on if you are a lazy fuck or not.

It is at the end of eternity, Duty. If you accept eternal duty, you are good to go.

So what is that work? Whatever the fuck you feel is most correct. If you are a lazy self centered peice of shit, you will cave into your own emotions, get bored, or lonley, and not be able to appreciate the big...giant picture.

If you live a life of duty and work, you will be on a never ending quest of continuous improvement, not only of yourself but those around you.

Guide the human race, and then those you encounter. Pull all the strings. fuck, its not like you dont have the time.
>>
File: 1454888904341.png (201KB, 478x562px) Image search: [Google]
1454888904341.png
201KB, 478x562px
>>49785969
>complete
Let me get this shit straight, by complete immortality you mean:
>You will outlive everyone you know and love
>You will outlive human life on this planet
>You will outlive this planet
>You will outlive the solar system
>You will outlive our galaxy
>You will outlive the known universe and -if we're headed for a big crunch rather than infinite expansion or heat death- existence itself
And that's assuming you live all of those years out in good health. Who said you wouldn't age? That your bones wouldn't get more brittle and brittle with every passing year? That your teeth wouldn't fall out? That your skin wouldn't wrinkle and your muscles deteriorate? That your eyesight won't fade and your hearing won't get worse? Who's to say that after 250 years (a mere blink of an eye on a cosmic scale) you won't be blind, deaf, toothless, unable to move, unable to feel, perpetuately hungry and stuck in a strange state of conciousness between reality and dreaming because you've lost all means by which to distinguish between yourself and the outside world?

It's not a curse, it's an everlasting nightmare. I wouldn't even wish immortality on my worst enemies.
>>
>>49785993
AEGES
>>
>>49785969
How and where do I get it?
>>
>>49795419
This. Anyone who says otherwise is a shortsighted fool.
>>
>>49785993
A really good sandwich.
>>
A gift.

I'd get to outlive all these plebian shitcunts and play video games and board games for all time.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.