[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yet another MTG limited thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

File: P1P1 008.jpg (541KB, 1030x903px) Image search: [Google]
P1P1 008.jpg
541KB, 1030x903px
Let's have another one of these.
Your pick?

I'd take the cub, with the edgecrafters being the second best card. Though I could see an argument for the desintegration since it's so filthily powerful
>>
>>49780452
longtusk for sure. disintegration is cool and all, but I'd rather lock in one color than force two on one pick.
>>
>>49781029
Foil longtusk for sure
>>
>>49780452
>Look at this
>'hmmm, probably raredraft'
>Vatage is at 1,6 tix

Remember it selling for >2 on prerelease, but I guess that's expected. The longtusk is the best choice I guess but I didn't draft kaladesh since I think its a shitty set
>>
>>49780452
Unlicensed Disintegration has enough power for me to grab it p1p1, over Longtusk Cub, gold and all.

If the colours are clearly dry, then you just drop it or keep it in mind as a splash option. p1p1 locks or forces fuck all, unless you decide to get married to that pick yourself.
>>
>>49780452
Longtusk, no question asked
>>
File: P1P1 009.jpg (527KB, 1032x907px) Image search: [Google]
P1P1 009.jpg
527KB, 1032x907px
Next one!

Aristry, that card is gamewinning / Second one is harder, but I'd take Dragster to stay open, very torn about Make obsolete
>>
>>49781102
Ovalchase Dragster
>>
>>49781102
dragster, artistry is too late game and you may not even draft any good blue cards to go with it.
>>
>>49780452
This is a stupid thread. I understand playing limited is fun, but this set is exceptionally awful in limited. Why not get a few randomly generated fancy packs? I'm sure you could open a Betrayers of Kawigama, a The Dark, and a Mirrodin Besieged and it would be a lot more fun.
>>
>>49781489
not OP, but right now my local store's drafts are all KLD packs. I find these threads helpful.
>>
>>49781576
The point is that the current limited environment is terrible, and you really should avoid playing it in order to prevent rampant faggotry, but it seems you're already too late to be saved...
>>
>>49781596
I'm new to the game and am mainly playing for fun and to get out of the house. what's so bad about playing drafts?
>>
File: Merfolk looter.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Merfolk looter.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
>>49781653
Nothing, drafts are fun.

What's bad is the power level of the cards in the current set. You're new, so you don't know any better but the cards they're printing are not good. Really really not good. Imagine if this was printed recently. Smuggler's Copter is like $18 or something right now. Merfolk looter is objectively better and worth about $0.10. 95% of what you crack from packs will be unplayable if you want to do anything but draft or standard, and once standard rotates, you'll have a giant box of unplayable, unsellable garbage.

Ever notice some players just give the things they've drafted away for free?
>>
>>49781803
ok, I get that in the grand scheme of things KLD is garbage, but it's not like I'm going to get straight into competitive tournament play. the cards I'm getting now could potentially be used to build a cube, so there's at least some value there. isn't KLD supposed to have another block of cards coming? could that not potentially introduce more synergies and value for the current set?
>>
>>49781803
I don't see too much of an issue. In plenty of other hobbies, hardware becomes obsolete all of the time and sometimes in less than eighteen months.

I personally never go into a hobby expecting to profit off of it or earn money back from it.
>>
File: mindslaver.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
mindslaver.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>>49781863
>isn't KLD supposed to have another block of cards coming?
This is the grand lie of standard. Yes, a new set will come out, but unlike previous blocks, since Shadows they've gone to two set rotating blocks. This means all the cards that will ever support Kaladesh are going to be released in the two sets, usually divided between the sets, much like Investigate with Shadows over Innistrad, or Emerge in EM. Could they come back in the future? Sure, maybe. Will they come back in a reasonable time to have fun with your friends? Absolutely not. Dash is the most obvious shit, and there has been zero support since it was released.

I'm not even talking about competitive play, I'm talking about if you want to play kitchen table commander for fun with your friends you're going to have a bad time with the current standard cards. For example, this is $5.
>>
>>49781921
so should I just leave the scene entirely until KLD rotates out and the next, possibly even worse, expansion hits?
>>
>>49782118
If you want to play Magic you should just play Magic. Draft, buy a budget Standard deck, whatever. Just don't listen to add blasted players disgruntled old players on /tg/. Most of them don't know what they are talking about, and almost all of them will tell you that the game is garbage now for some stupid reason or another

If you have fun with the game, then you should definitely play it. Although, be warned that it is easy to spend lots of money in this game, but if you want to play casually for cheap, then it is very easy to do so.
>>
>>49780452

Raredraft the vantage, then force Boros to justify it.

That's what I'd do anyway.
>>
>>49782158
>almost all of them will tell you that the game is garbage now for some stupid reason, such as it being garbage right now
>>
>>49781803
>Merfolk looter is objectively better
No. Stop being bad at the game.
>>
>>49781803
>Merfolk Looter is better than Automatic 4-of In Every Deck Copter

No. Don't get me wrong, Looter is strong, but Copter is three power in air that's immune to sorcery-speed removal on top of being a Looter.
>>
>>49782817
And Copter doesn't have to choose between looting and going into the red zone either.
>>
I really like the shadows over innistrad block cards, would it be worth buying a fatpack of both sets?

>>49782834
>red zone
>not danger zone
you had one job.
>>
>>49782908
>I really like the shadows over innistrad block cards, would it be worth buying a fatpack of both sets?

Fatpacks are never worth it. You're buying nine boosters for the price of like eleven or twelve. The extra crap you get from a fat pack (lands, die and that pamphlet with pictures of the cards) is valueless.
>>
>>49782927
good to know, what about the deckbuilder toolkits? I assume those are not worth it either?
>>
>>49782956

DBTKs are similarly bad value if you're looking for cards for constructed.

However, some stores do a cool thing with DBTKs where they run a league using them. People buy a toolkit on some specific day, make decks from the toolkit, and play against each other, scoring points. They're restricted to buying like one pack per week that gets added to the toolkit. Cards other than that cannot be added from outside the toolkit, and the kits are stored at the store to prevent cheating. At the end of the league, the ones with the most points get store credit or something. It's a pretty cool idea, and worth a try if your LGS does something like that.
>>
>>49782995
my local store has some kind of sealed league going for KLD that I'm sure I'm too late for. it's $30 buy in and $5/week after that, it's probably what you described.
>>
God damn /tg/ is bad at magic.

First pick disintegration, since everyone and their mother wants to be in green and red and black are usually the most open colors.

Also, Kaladesh draft is a great format. Ignorant fucks will say otherwise due to the minimum quota of autists bitching about the current set at any given time. Also /tg/ is bad at magic.
>>
So what would be the worst Masterpiece to actually take in draft?
>>
>>49784529
blue.
>>
>>49784529
I'd say probably Crucible of Worlds, in terms of actually planning on playing it.

There's enough of an ETB recursion subtheme that I almost think you could pull off Cloudstone Curio. Gauntlet of Power would be really interesting to draft around. Champion's Helm is pretty weak, but can at least do something. Painter's Servant is pretty weak itself too.
>>
>>49784529
they're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.
>>
>>49780452
Disintegration because I always end up playing RB

>>49781102
Dragster
>>
>>49784529

Painter's Servant. There's nothing I can think of in Kaladesh that cares about color. Crucible of Worlds is also not great, but at the very least you could keep reusing Inventor's Fair with it.
>>
File: Just.png (296KB, 690x316px) Image search: [Google]
Just.png
296KB, 690x316px
>Opponent opens with this in a draft both games
Well that was 12 dollars well spent
>>
>>49784979
Painter's Servant is a 2 mana artifact creature if nothing else.
>>
>>49785073

True. I also think it would prevent Ceremonious Rejection from countering your colorless Artifacts in the case you are playing somebody playing Blue. So it has some use.
>>
>>49781102

As much I love first picking vehicles (woo no commitment), Saheeli's Artistry is straight bomb-level in this format. I think that justifies the color commitment.
>>
>>49785058
yeah, I'd say he got his money's worth.

at least your store only charges $12, mine charges $15.
>>
>>49785058
nightmarket/looter is great for a madcap deck
>>
>>49785297
It was mtgo so only 12 tix.

>>49785309
I've passed them up so many times without thinking about how insane they could be
>>
>>49783092

Green doesn't get THAT cut (if only because it's ridic deep), and Longtusk Cub is ridiculously good. We're certainly not taking a multicolored card P1P1 when we have a great monocolored card in the pack.
>>
>>49785325
the pace they achieve with copter is pretty ridiculous. I'm really tempted to just build around them+harnessed lightning+unlicensed disintegration for standard. Throw in some type of energy and electrostatic pummeler and you have a wincon right there
>>
>>49785297
I get to pay 5 if i have packs :^)
>>
>>49785297
Drafts are $10 at my local place.
>>
>>49785378
my store doesn't allow outside packs as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>49785378
>>49785396
Makes sense from a gameplay standpoint. I wouldn't someone having the opportunity to bring in packs from a potentially mapped box. No idea what the progress on mapping Kaladesh is, but just as a policy thing.
>>
>>49785432
it's more so to maximize profits. if a player can get their packs for 2/3s the price the store charges for draft and brings them in then the store not only loses out on 3 pack sales, but also loses money that goes into the prize pool.

you wouldn't host anything with prizes without at least covering the prize pool's cost.

that being said, how okay are stores with letting players host their own drafts with or without prizes?
>>
>>49785526
Most are probably okay with it as long as there isn't anything going on at the shop at the time. Wouldn't hurt to ask though. Most owners are smart enough to realize that as long as people are spending time there, they will probably end up buying shit anyway
>>
>>49781596
Some people think it is a pretty fun, but not great, draft environment and are interested in strategy. Is it that hard to imagine other people enjoying something you don't?
>>
>>49785661
yeah, true.

what would be the best way to host a friendly draft with no prize outside of keeping the cards you drafted? have the host bring packs and the players pay up the price of their packs or a bring your own packs?
>>
>>49785711
Buy the packs you're drafting at the game store. Then there is no way they would complain and they would probably let you use their land box too
>>
>>49785733
but I can get them cheaper from amazon.
>>
>>49785748
Then play at someone's house instead of the game store. Its just a little rude to use their space without paying for anything at all
>>
>>49780452

How have you been making these packs, by the by?
>>
>>49783092
>Dual color first pick
>>
>>49786049
I would assume he's taking screenshots of whatever draft simulator he's using.
>>
File: stolen.jpg (13KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
stolen.jpg
13KB, 189x267px
>>49785058
I really like how the Lookout is stealing a servo token.
>>
>>49786049
>>49786132
Not on my PC for a while, hence the lack of other p1p1 pics. Dont remember the adress of the simulator, but ill post it tomorrow when i make another thread and think of it

Also,
>>49781803
>Merfolk looter is objectively better
This has to be bait
>>
>>49785711
We just play for nothing but an entry in our eternal list plus the cards you drafted... But half of us are pretty mediocre players and I dont think they'd like to play more competitive, which is a shame.

You can use what i seem to remember was called the french method where after 3 rounds swiss all rares+mythics are laid out in the open and the winner of the draft gets to pick one he can keep first, then the second place winner etc.
This is a pretty good idea to stop raredrafting that weakens everyones decks, but its a very bad feeling when someone takes your 20€ mythic after the draft.
>>
>>49787949
I feel like the point of draft is to just have fun and get a little more control over the cards you get from a few packs. being forced to give up a card you were lucky/smart enough to draft just seems unfair.
>>
>>49788082
I'm with you on this, but I really had the feeling something had to change because said mediocre drafters emded up picking the rare in their packs what felt like over 90% of time regardless of colour, curve, archetype or even price. I have no problem when people are picking a Chandra ToD in pack 3 when they are B/G since it OS a valuable card... But it just makes the whole drafting experience much less fun when you dont get to play the sweet rares that fit exactly in your archetype or get rewarded with an awesome bomb for figuring out the best colours in your position.

It has gotten much better, but i remember having only 0-1 rares in most of my rtr decks. Mindless raredrafting just hurts the overall powerlevel so much.
This is just a personal thing though
>>
Is there a good way to play draft online with a small group, like say 4 people? We can't meet up in person any more and not everyone wants to pay for mtgo.
>>
>>49788436
Xmage
Better than mtgo in many aspects, rules are automatically enforced like in mtgo, you can use every card in existence, even draft your own cube and it is completely free... BUT Just not very stable. Horrible even atm to be honest, 4/5 drafts just cancel randomly in the draft or games.
Will probably get better again though
>>
>>49788601
Huh, this look promising. Will probably give it a shot this weekend.
Can you add bots to the booster draft? It will be rare that we can get 8 people to play, and I remember booster draft not working well with just 4 or 5 people. You end up with not enough variety and a lot of trash just getting passed around.
>>
>>49788781
Ots pretty great.
You can use draftbots, bit they are quite stupid... Mot totally sire but I think you can actually draft with just 4 people...you will obviously just have less cards in your pool. If you dont mind, you can coordinate and join the same queue with other people
>>
>>49788847
I don't really need the bots to be good, I just want to make sure there is more variety in the pool. Either way, this sounds really good and I will check it out. Thanks man!
>>
Made a deck with a cloudblazer and three of those blink-draw instants.

Needless to say, it was hilarious.
>>
File: 211.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
211.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
Drafted a G/b deck at FNM today. Opened a Copter which paid for my dinner and got to see pic related do some goddamn WORK in my deck. Ended up going second and opened Noxious Gearhulk in my prize booster. Overall a great day.
>>
>>49789812
>opening prize boosters
Why not keep them for another draft
>>
>>49790088
Because that's not an option at our LGS.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.