[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pack 1 Pick 1 Kaladesh. What's the pick?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

>>
>>49764956
Scrounger
>>
Scrapheap Scrounger
>>
>>49764956
One of the two Renegades.
>>
Revoke privleges. Solid removal and there's virtually no white left in the pack sending a pretty strong signal if you decide to stay in white.

Welding sparks or master would be second pick for me. Scrounge seems ok in limited if the BR aggro picks are there
>>
Marionette Master. It's even foil.
>>
>>49764956
Tips for drafting Kaladesh. If the answer to a question is yes, pick the related card. If the answer to a question is not, proceed to the next question.
1. Is there a playable rare?
2. Is there a playable uncommon?
3. Is there a Renegade Freighter?
4. Is there any removal card?
5. Is there any Fabricate card?
6. Is there any card that is not blue?

You should 3-0 following these advices.
>>
>>49765747
That is not very good advice.
There are a lot of playable rares that are surpassed by good uncommons or even commons, same goes for uncommons. The pack above is a good example, the Scrounger is a good card, but I'd pick sparks, freighter, revoke privileges over it. Though I confess that as of yet I've neither played with nor against the Scounger, so I could be misevalutating it.

>>49764956
Sparks is first pickable, though marionett master is absurd in the right deck.
Revoke privileges is very good as well. I'd probably take the master.
>>
File: P1P1 001.jpg (567KB, 1033x903px) Image search: [Google]
P1P1 001.jpg
567KB, 1033x903px
Let's do a few more of those.
Spoilers is what I would firstpick and what I think is the second best card. Which is obviously very subjective.

Renegade Freighter // Aetherborn Marauder
>>
>>49766133
Aetherborn Marauder
>>
>>49765903
I'm sorry. To correct the list swap questions 2 and 3.

5 Kaladesh drafts played. The games I lost were because my opponent drew his mythic card. The games I won were because I drew my mythic card.

>>49766133
Following my own advice, draft the Freighter. It's colorless and goes into any good archetype (you don't want to be playing control).
>>
File: P1P1 003.jpg (553KB, 1033x903px) Image search: [Google]
P1P1 003.jpg
553KB, 1033x903px
This one is more interesting
Weilding Sparks // Aereal Responder though I could see picking the Daredevil or Padeem to draft around
>>
>>49765903
>the Scrounger is a good card
Playable, but not good. It doesn't help you at all when you're behind, for example, and it's not a very exiting draw after turn 2.
>>
>>49766394
Welding Sparks. While I think that removal in general is overrated in limited and that people in this thread in particular have shown a remarkable willingness to draft medium removal over great creatures, I think Sparks is definetly the best card in that pack, with Responder and Daredevil being the two next best cards.
>>
>>49766614
Playable is a better word for it, yes.

>>49766710
What would 'medium removal' be? Only thing I've seen ITT was revoke and sparks, and both are pretty high picks.
>>
>>49766815
>What would 'medium removal' be?
It's not so much that the removal spells have been medium as the cards they would be taken over being much better. I would definetly prick Renegade Freighter over both Sparks and Revoke, for example.

An example of an actual medium removal spell would be the stock overcosted black removal spell that's in every set. On average I'm looking for reasons *not* to pick or play those and am not happy when I have to as that's generally a sign of my deck turning out to be weak.
>>
>>49764956
Freighterhoof Behemoth for me.

It can just steal games on the right draw and goes into any deck i build so I don't have to worry about colour. I also have a terrible habit of marrying my first pick and having children with it so it stops that tendency.

The master is good but is a heavy black commitment and a 6 drop which is hardly where you want to be in Kaladesh.

Welding Sparks is solid and splashable but I find red as the most dragged colour next to white as it goes with both the g/r and w/r aggressive , reading signals in this format especially where the aggressive decks need that density of two drops is so important so being open gives you a big advantage.
>>
>>49764956
I'd pick Revoke Privileges because I hate playing against it so I may as well be the cancer.

>>49766133
Aetherborn Marauder, value too good.

>>49766394
Aetherhub because money.

Aerial Responder to win the draft but that's assuming I'm already pushing WB from my earlier picks.
>>
>>49767649

Winning the draft is a petty concern.

I ran a U/B control deck with all the modules , an Aetherflux reservoir, a demon of dark schemes, confiscation coup, aethersquall ancient and like 3 to go with my two shrewd negotiations at our FNM.

Everyone thought I was a donk but I showed them by going 1-1-1 ( lost 2-1 to my worst matchup R/W vehicles and drew against a U/G player I had the game won really but we ran out of time )

Was my first draft of the format I think with some work control could be good in this format ! If blue is open it can be pretty insane.
>>
File: 1342372001739.jpg (64KB, 435x571px) Image search: [Google]
1342372001739.jpg
64KB, 435x571px
>>49767768
>winning the game you're playing is a petty concern
>>
File: P1P1 004.jpg (548KB, 1033x906px) Image search: [Google]
P1P1 004.jpg
548KB, 1033x906px
A pretty shitty p1p1, go ahead

I'd take eliminate and try to force fabricate // Hunt the weak
>>
>>49767854
Though I am interested in anyone's experience with the colony. Seems pretty unplayable/all or nothing
>>
>>49767872
I mean, I'd run the colony, either they remove it and it didn't do much damage to you, or you'll stomp them with your 2 drop.
>>
>>49767854
Die Young
>>
>>49767854
I'd take Die Young. Good removal in a format full of x/1 and x/2 creatures. Shout outs to Wind Drake and Colony.
>>
>>49767890
are effects like die young capable of outright killing a craeture? like if my opponent has a 2/1 and I use die young on it, would that not kill it since it's health would be 0 or lower?

unrelated question: for effects that cost energy to do a thing, like the thriving cub and such, can they be used more than once per turn?
>>
>>49768015
>are effects like die young capable of outright killing a craeture? like if my opponent has a 2/1 and I use die young on it, would that not kill it since it's health would be 0 or lower?
0 toughness = Death, no question asked

>unrelated question: for effects that cost energy to do a thing, like the thriving cub and such, can they be used more than once per turn?
Depends on the effect
Die Young states "you may pay any amount"
So you can use as much energy as you want

Thriving Grubs states : "Whenever Thriving Grubs attacks, you may pay EE, if you do,"
You can only pay 2 energy and only when the Grubs attacks
>>
File: Image.png (135KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
135KB, 223x311px
>>49768061
ok, I wasn't sure about die young, since it states "until end of turn", which makes me think it would keep the creature alive unless it took damage that would be lethal, even if it had no toughness from the debuff.

as for the second question, I meant effects like pic related.
>>
>>49767885
Or they revoke privileges/servo chump until it kills you
>>
>>49768106
>ok, I wasn't sure about die young, since it states "until end of turn", which makes me think it would keep the creature alive unless it took damage that would be lethal, even if it had no toughness from the debuff.
"End of turn" matters when the target still have toughness

>as for the second question, I meant effects like pic related.
You only need to pay EE to activate the effect
As long as you have energy, you can activate it
>>
>>49768135
yes, but my question was, since it has no stipulation of "when attacking" for the pay portion, can I activate that such an ability multiple times in a turn? for example if I have 4 energy, can I put two +1/1 counters on it simultaneously?
>>
>>49768165
Did you read my answer ?
As long as you have energy, you can activate it
So, yes, you can activate it multiple times in a turn

But you can't pay 4 energy to put two +1/+1 counters on it at once
You activate it once, pay 2 and put a counter then activate it again, pay 2 and put a counter
Your opponent can respond to any of the activation
>>
>>49767854
Hunt the Weak
>>
>>49768198
thank you for the clarification.
>>
>>49768198
>Your opponent can respond to any of the activation
Actually no. Your opponent can't respond until after you have passed priority, and you don't pass it automatically. Meaning that after you activate the Cub you get to activate it again before the the first ability resolves (or cast an instant), and not until you decide not to does your opponent get to do something.

However, generally speaking it's just bad to put more than one activation on the stack at once as your opponent could just kill it before any of them resolve, which would mean that you've wasted all your energy.
>>
>>49767968
>>49767890

I don't know about die young. It looks great on paper, but I had pretty bad experiences with it in that it kills all the things that don't matter. And getting energy in black is v hard, has to come from the supporting colour
>>
File: trickbind.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
trickbind.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>49768273
Funnily enough, even for the latter (good!) point there are corner cases.

(Not that I expect wizards to print Trickbind style card anymore with the modern design ethos.)
>>
>>49768500
Last time I picked Die Young, it was relevant each time I used it
-2/-2 kills a lot of thing in Kaladesh and can sometimes avoid vehicles being activated
>>
>>49767852
Well as far as magic players go im that guy who is making like 12 mistakes a turn and running an objectively terrible deck that still somehow manages to get wins off of much better players and have them question what in the fuck they are doing with their lives.
>>
File: Image.jpg (38KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
38KB, 223x310px
>>49768530
There's also cards like Recurring Nightmare that become nearly impossible to deal with for the opponent as long as you always keep priority.
>>
>>49768500

Have to agree here a lot of the time it is just an expensive sorcery speed ( so can't hit vehicles )disfigure which unless I'm playing against R/W or somehow have a lot of energy cards despite them not really existing in black ( thriving rats are weak and as much as I love live fast because black divination is awesome spending a turn to shock yourself in this format is really bad.) is pretty meh.

Creatures are surprisingly big in this format. A lot of the little guys get traded off or brickwalled oddly quickly and there's just not nearly as many vehicles around as expected to break stalls as I thought there'd be. Although I have a sketchy prediction that aradara express is going to see a lot more play as a way to help your 4/5 or team of random dorks smash through.
>>
File: P1P1 005.jpg (550KB, 1033x903px) Image search: [Google]
P1P1 005.jpg
550KB, 1033x903px
'nother one

Torn between will and warden here, will is an insane blowout if you can use it as redirect, warden is just good
>>
>>49764956
Swamp, you wouldn't want to end up mana screwed, no would you?
>>
>>49768826
Fairgrounds Warden
>>
>>49768826

Fairgrounds Warden for me. Less committing than a double blue spell.
>>
File: P1P1 006.jpg (535KB, 1033x906px) Image search: [Google]
P1P1 006.jpg
535KB, 1033x906px
>>49768879
>>49768987
Probably the right pick, I just found warden so immensly...do-nothing. It's just a 3-mana removal that can easily be undone, even moreso than in any other set. But that may just be because Kaladesh still is a bit of a mystery to me.

Also, this one is quite interesting.

I'd take the Angel, was the absolute nuts everytime I played it... but KLD is pretty fast, don't know if I wouldn't rather pick Scourge in a few weeks.
>>
>>49769121
i'd pick scourge over the angel. but it would have been a tough call.
>>
>>49769121
Brazen Scourge all the way
>>
>>49769121

Especially against the ring deck Fairgrounds Warden is great. Something like UW that has no way to reliably remove it from the board gets wrecked by it. Also helps to have things like Aerial Maneuver to bounce it and avoid getting blown out.

Out of that pack I'm taking the Angel. Every time I play with her she's value town and is a nice beater on top of flickering a Fabricate creature or an Armorcraft Judge.
>>
>>49769121
pummeler because I can sell it to draft again.
>>
File: P1P1 007.jpg (519KB, 1029x902px) Image search: [Google]
P1P1 007.jpg
519KB, 1029x902px
>>49769180
>pummeler is worth +2 tix
Strange.

Next one. Also, before you look it up, Rashmi is not even half a ticket.

This one is quite hard... I suppose I'd take the Dragster just to stay open... But Rashmi seems VERY good. On second though, I'd probably risk it, there's enough fixing between prisms and aether hubs to try it
>>
>>49769180
Pummler is actually pretty nuts in any green based energy deck.

The +4 +4 and trample sorcery pump spell gives you a 20/20 trampler with just 2 activations and always goes late. Built to smash gives you a 16/16 trampler and at instant speed. Even getting 8 in with one activation in this format is pretty game winning.

And worse comes to worse it's a colourless artifact big energy producer that can still attack/chump block / crew etc. better than a puzzle knot and your opponent kind of has to treat it as a threat since it can accidentally win the game.
>>
>>49769290
I can't chose between Rashmi and Dragster
Whichever I take, I feel like I'd make a mistake
>>
>>49769316
>attune with aether turn 1
>pummeler turn 2
>anything that generates at least one energy turn 3
>larger than life x2 on pummeler and then pay 6-9 energy to buff up pummeler turn 4
you now have a 36/36 with trample on turn four.
>>
>>49769333
rashimi has good potential to flood the board, but forces you into blue/green, dragster leaves you free to choose on the next pick.
>>
>>49769551
"Good potential to flood the board" is a nice way of saying "in a bad case, draw 2 cards a turn" granted, you can have no spells, but id rather have rashmi in a topdeck war.

Two colours is a bit sketchy in a firstpick, but you can easily splash it if you pick hubs or prims higher... Especially if you are green
>>
>>49770215
Rashmi is nuts. I feel she's going to break standard as well . I mean she's basically a U/G blood braid elf which as we know was hardly weak.
>>
File: kaladesh release 2 pool.png (2MB, 1500x833px) Image search: [Google]
kaladesh release 2 pool.png
2MB, 1500x833px
Ugh, rough pool this time.
>>
>>49767854
Fretwork master race. Bringing back suicide black, baby.
>>
>>49772629
>two camels
please tell me those were last picks.
>>
>>49772939
It's a sealed pool bro....
>>
>>49772629
You know, while it is a rough pool in the sense that the rares are mostly pretty shit (I'll play Elegant Edgecrafters and Syndicate Trafficker any day though), GB base has a pretty nice core of energy creatures (2 x Thriving Rats, Longtusk Cub, 2 x Thriving Rhino) and cards that play pretty well along with that core (Armorcraft Judge, Hazardous Conditions) and other cards.

Haven't started with the pool yet, but BG or BG maybe splashing U because it's pretty low cost seems decent choice.
>>
>>49768500

>>49768604

Agree with these guys on Die Young. Black doesn't have any good ways to generate energy on it's own, so unless your other color generates a lot of energy, you can do better for -2/-2 for 1B.
>>
>>49772629

You have a chance to build into a good GB or GBx deck with x most likely being blue. Two nimble Innovators, Malfunction, Glimmer of Genius, Empyreal Voyagers, Contraband Kingpin are all solid splash considerations. You have a decent amount of +1/+1 counter dudes that Hazardous Conditions can be a one sided board wipe.
>>
>>49772629

I was going to say GB with a splash, but I don't think you need to. I think you have enough energy generation to make the pummelers actually legit with your pump spells. Besides, sealed pools with Thriving rats on t2 into thriving rhino on t3 is just solid.
>>
>>49772629
>rough pool
I think it's one of the better pool i've seen. Even though you only have one possible route, all the good stuff is in there.
GB+1 island for Empyreal Voyager.
>>
>>49764956
marionette master is the only answer.
>>
>>49766394
>dont draft me or my son ever again
>>
>>49767854
>no one's considering taking the boardsweep except the poster anon
Here's an advice. You're not instantly good at draft just because you didn't take the rare.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.