[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good, simple and entertaining board game that normies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: 1471611612317.jpg (17KB, 363x363px) Image search: [Google]
1471611612317.jpg
17KB, 363x363px
What's a good, simple and entertaining board game that normies can get into and that isn't bullshit like monopoly etc.
>>
Settlers of catan is pretty popular
>>
four words:

Kobolds Ate My Baby

>you only have to use 2 six sided dice
>character creation is random
>The rules are very basic
>The rules encourage getting drunk and doing dumb shit

It's perfect for getting normies involved!
>>
I'm very fond of Splendor for getting normies into board gaming. It's a card game with lavish artwork, satisfying tokens, and a tight core design that allows for high level play while remaining accessible.

The basic conceit is that it's a game about buying gem mines of five different colors with a certain combination of gems of the same color, and each mine generates gems of its color to make future purchases of mines of other colors, and you're trying to set up a gem generating machine that will outpace the other players with raw purchasing power.
>>
>>49764523
>entertaining
Candyland is more fun than Settlers.
Show normies an appropriate flavor of Munchkin or Flux though. They can ride off those for days.
>>
Pandemic is probably your best bet. Even better if you want to play a co-op game. It does suffer from quarterbacking.

X-wing miniatures is pretty rules-lite and is fun if you like dog-fighting or Star Wars.

Resistance is a deduction/bluffing game that has some light roleplaying.
>>
>>49764497
Catan
7 Wonders
Small World
Carcassone
Splendor
1 Night Ultimate Werewolf
>>
>>49764497
>normies
using this word is cancer
anyway, "normies" can play even tabletop rpg
I don't see your problem
>>
>>49764761
>cancer
only degenerate scum use this word
>>
>>49764738
Munchkin and Flux are basically just Cards Against Humanity for people who love references to "geeky" shit. Fun, mindless bullshit to play while drunk. But if you're actually trying to get someone interested in board games, you should probably choose something that has enough depth to leave them wanting more.

It's like recommending Monty Python and Princess Bride as a way to get people interested in fantasy fiction.
>>
>>49764783
>"degenerate"
only normies use this word
>>
>>49764761
It's a good term to jokingly describe people who are generally not into tg hobbies, fuck you.
>>49764497
Munchkin is good, prolly the best choice, all the one night/resistance shenanigans get stale too quickly.
Also if you already have something rule light and flashy like Talisman, got my normie friends into tg through it, wouldn't buy it if you don't have access to it already as it absolutely needs expansions to stay interesting in the long run.
>>
>>49764877
please don't take bait intented for me, we don't want other shitposting in this board
right?
>>
>>49764895
only cancer cries about false flags
>>
>>49764497
smallworld or pandemic, settlers of catan is too normie
>>
>>49764497

>Party/Card games (learn as you go)
Duple
Anomia
Sushi Go
Coup

>5 minute rules explanation
Splendor
Machi Koro

>10 minute rules explanation
Tokaido
Between Two Cities
>>
>>49764749
Macchiavelli
>>
>>49764497
Betrayal at the House on the Hill is really fun, because it's spoopy and you can have a google when someone accidentally the coal chute and is trapped in the basement..
>>
>>49764497
Saboteurs at my party was a complete blast. Like, we had assembled pneumatic riffle as a birthday gift, we didn't even get to try it out, everyone went for Saboteurs game streak, no kidding. But you'll need 6+ people for it to be fun.

Its basically mafia on steroids.
>>
>>49764749
That is actually a good list

Would add light but fun things like Avalon (Secret Hitler if you want to be edgy), Stone Age or Sheriff of Nottingham. They'd probably enjoy that

>>49765254
I'd agree but Betrayal is sometimes so stupidly unclear on rules that it is probably a chore for people who don't usually play boardgames (I suppose this is what OP meant)
>>
>>49764709
never heard of it but it seems fun
>>
>>49764860
But princess bride is perfect for people getting into fantasy, just get grandpa to skip the kissing scenes
>>
>>49764497

Ticket to the motherfucking ride!
>>
>>49764907
>only false flags cry about cancer
>>
>>49766407
>recnac tuoba yrc sgalf eslaf ylno
>>
>>49766375
fucking finally! it took far too long for that to appear in this thread.
>>
File: pic332870.jpg (722KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pic332870.jpg
722KB, 1200x1200px
>>49764891
>Talisman
Came here to post this.
>>
Ticket to Ride is a great first step!
>>
>>49766629
What ages is Talisman suitable for?
>>
I got normies to play Tanto Cuore and they couldn't stop fingering maids for days.
>>
>>49766830

Talisman is suitable for 10+ I would say, but it is a pretty bullshit game all in all that can take far too long to finish. It is more nostalgia fuel than anything else.

Drakon is a good normie game that encourages dicking people over which normies seem to love.

You want a random ass board game that is pretty easy to teach, learn, play and I have had success with normies enjoying the hell out of? Dungeonquest fits the bill. My 9 year old nephew loves that game.

It is total bullshit and I have had people die on their first turn. The very first room they entered was a dead end with a trap that insta-killed them because they failed their luck roll and they had to sit out the rest of the game (we had them play the monsters for combat) but the game rarely take longer than about half an hour and usually ends with everyone dead trapped in a lovecraftian type maze.
>>
>>49764497
Munchkin is fun and fairly simple, and is playable with only two people.

Telestrations can be absolutely hilarious and is also pretty straightforward.

Secret Hitler/Avalon is a little more complicated, but the group dynamics can be really fun. I'd say the same of Good Cop/Bad Cop, which seems a little easier to learn.

Dead of Winter is pretty complicated and takes a while to play, but the tension is real. One of the players may be a "traitor", which adds some social deduction to the game, but trying to stay alive is an ordeal on its own.

I remember having fun playing Clue when I was younger. I remember understanding the rules, so it couldn't have been too hard.
>>
>>49764497
ticket to ride is pretty easy to pick up and fairly intuitive, but has a weirdly high skill ceiling, so it's a fucking blast to play with pretty much anyone

fluxx and munchkin are pretty fun, but they've been mentioned a lot already

>>49766375
my nigga
>>
>>49764709
Normies don't know or care what Kobolds are.
>>
>>49764497
Betrayal at the House on the Hill has been a favorite of my normal friends. I would also recommend King of Tokyo
>>
>>49764891
>Munchkin is good
Munchkin is the opposite of good
>>
>>49764497
I think Bang! is a fun and rather simple game for new players. Added bonus that most people will be at least casually interested in Western-settings.
>>
>>49764497
>and that isn't bullshit like monopoly etc.

I know the rules for most d&d, Shadowrun, 40k, and pf editions and I STILL can't figure out the rules for monopoly. Everytime I play it there's always some faget trying to Jew me out of my money using some house rule bullshit they thought was a legitimate rule causing confusion for all.

Fuck monopoly.
>>
>>49766429
>Yvan eht Nioj
>>
>>49764497
Those D&D adventure boardgames would work well, I think. Small World could, too.
Code Names is dead simple and damn fun.
>>
File: pic1170986.jpg (397KB, 567x784px) Image search: [Google]
pic1170986.jpg
397KB, 567x784px
>>49764497

BANG!
>>
Arkham horror
>>
>>49767784
"They're dumb little lizard/dog dudes that everyone else hates."
"Oh okay"

Do you actually think the average person is so stupid they can't comprehend things they don't know after you tell them? If not, how do you even make friends?
>>
>>49764497
Campaign for north africa.
>>
>>49764709
Also not a board game like OP asked for
>>
>>49768104
A crummy commercial? Sonnuvabitch.
>>
>>49764497
Arabian Nights is great for just laughing at how absurd it can become. It's not too complicated either, but has a good gimmick.
>>
>>49767784

Any reason you couldn't just refer to them as goblins, trolls, or some other scary spooks?
>>
As someone who dislikes playing the majority of boardgames, I can attest that Bang! is one of the ultimate normie friendly games out there. Fast, simple, has social deduction and bluffing, and enough RNG that hard feelings are easily avoided while still not having so much that you just feel fucked by the dice.
>>
>>49769406
>"They're dumb little lizard/dog dudes that everyone else hates."

"That sounds dumb, let's play Cards Against Humanity."

>Do you actually think the average person is so stupid they can't comprehend things they don't know after you tell them?

Not at all, I just expect them to care. It's really hard to convince someone who isn't in to boardgames to play anything too different from what they know. It's also hard to convince anyone who isn't into fantasy to play something too different from what they already know. Not that are stupid, lost sheeple. I just think to get a friend into your freaky nerd hobby you need to ease them into it with games that are "Like monopoly, but...".
>>
>>49769406
>>49772171
I don't expect them to care *
>>
>>49767784
They don't have to care. they're little monsters that do crazy shit. Most people like to do something that's more dynamic and simple if they're playing a game with friends. You get a case of beer, maybe a bottle of rum or some weed, and you got a fun night.

They don't need to care, they just need to have fun.
>>
>>49772171
it's still easy to ease them in. People aren't so dumb that the idea of making a character and using a bit of imagination is 100% beyond their abilities.

If you can't do kobolds, then i reccomend superfight: the game where you draw two cards(1 character and 1 power) and argue why they would win a fight. it's really fun to play, especially if you got booze.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.