[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 33

File: tumblr_o6rz4pop8W1qccjyio5_1280.jpg (267KB, 1200x550px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6rz4pop8W1qccjyio5_1280.jpg
267KB, 1200x550px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

> Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana | October 2016
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Encounter_Building.pdf

Previously on 5th Edition General: >>49755593

Thread Questions:
What features would you like to see the Psion have? How can it best differentiate itself from existing classes?
>>
File: 1473489425015.jpg (191KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1473489425015.jpg
191KB, 500x375px
How would you guys change Sorcerer to make it not just a worse Wizard who gets to nova like crazy a couple times a day and may get a couple points more AC?

The lack of rituals, the laughable number of spells known, and the complete lack of any form of upkeep on short rest (whereas even a Wizard gets to regen spells once a day) just makes the Sorcerer feel like the Wizard's lamer cousin.
>>
>>49764179
Sorcerers aren't confined by items, if you even bother playing with that rule
>>
>>49764189
I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you saying that Sorcerer's don't need material components/don't need a focus? because that isn't true
>>
File: styx1280jpg-44fe2e_1280w.jpg (155KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
styx1280jpg-44fe2e_1280w.jpg
155KB, 1280x720px
So I'm still trying to think of a good backstory for the Goblin rogue I'm going to play when Volo's Guide releases. I was thinking of him being the apprentice/pet of a desperate, wounded thief in a large city. Could a goblin survive on his own in the slums of any of the larger cities in the Forgotten Realms though (obviously while trying to hide that he is in fact a goblin)? I haven't read any of the official lore and all my knowledge comes from what I read in the PHB and the few adventures I played.

Also, does any city even have slums in D&D?
>>
File: 1450242763726.png (351KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1450242763726.png
351KB, 850x1100px
Has anyone got a good inventory tracking sheet in the style of the character sheets? Hopefully with slots for various containers and their contents? Doing a resource management heavy game soon, and the DM and I agree that it'd be a great boon for the less organized players.
>>
>>49764211
ah shit you're right. welp my fuckass group has been playing wrong for two years.
>>
>>49764229
Goblins could probably live in a city as well as humans could. They wouldn't let human filth go into any respectable place more than they'd let goblin filth go.
>>
>>49764179
I honestly feel that Sorcerer is largely a mistake, and metamagic is a lot less interesting as flavor than what Bard and Warlock get. If anything Sorc would probably feel less outshined if these two were half casters especially with the lack of roles.
>>
File: 1462059526993.jpg (58KB, 484x461px) Image search: [Google]
1462059526993.jpg
58KB, 484x461px
My party spent the last session strategically planning a battle. The plans are good and it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that they will win.

In other words, next session is gonna be boring unless I can think of a good plot twist to throw into it. What are some crazy things that can happen before/ in the middle of a battle that would throw the party for a loop?

I was thinking making the enemy army have a wall of slaves before them but I don't know how the party could realistically be expected to "solve" that problem. Any ideas?
>>
>>49764236
It should be true. Sorcerer's source of magical ability is themselves; they should just be able to channel magic innately.

But WotC didn't even give them that, something that frankly would have almost no real benefit and would almost purely be flavor.

>>49764287
like this anon said, Sorcerer is a mistake.
>>
File: 1462862843458.jpg (98KB, 680x999px) Image search: [Google]
1462862843458.jpg
98KB, 680x999px
>>49764179
Fixes that I've seen, sometimes multiple in effect at once.

>Allow the sorcerer to access the entire wizard spell list, or give them some stuff from other spell-lists like the Druid and Warlocks that Wizards DON'T get.
>Add an "Arcane" or "School" bloodline that grants a sorcerer abilities similar to, but slightly inferior to, a wizard's school (in exchange for still having access to meta-magic).
>Give sorcerers light or even medium armor proficiency, similar to how the Warlock has Light proficiency, so bloodlines besides Draconic can still be more durable than Wizards.
>Do away with bloodline powers completely and give Sorcerers a "Talents" system similar to Eldritch Invocations for Warlocks, allowing Sorcers to "customize" their magic to a greater degree than the wizard, despite having less spells to choose from.
>>
>>49764360
I'll flat out go ahead and say that on a pure flavor level, Bard has been, since 3.5, everything Sorcerer claimed to be down to the whole being a more physical mage point (lol, 4hp, simple weapons, no physical saves, worst bab). In the end it was already largely a gimped wizard.

5e just makes it more glaring.
>>
>>49764179
I just ban them entirely. They're strictly-inferior wizards except in very specific situations where a meta magic feat MIGHT be enough to outweigh having a shittier spell-list, no school specialty, and no ability to learn spells aside from level-ups. The only reason to play a sorcerer at all is to cross-class them with Warlocks or Paladins for exploity min-max shit.

Plus the flavor of sorcerers sucks. It encourages that kind of "special snowflake" mentality where a character is awesome simply because they have a "special bloodline" Mary Sue shit that they can rub in other player's faces.
>>
>>49764294
>Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
Mike Tyson.
>>
File: 1457939827310.png (95KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1457939827310.png
95KB, 625x626px
>>49764487
You're looking for Pathfinder General. 5e General is not a fetish thread.
>>
>>49764294

I dunno the scale of the battle, and generally I'm of the philosophy that if the players make good plans it's kind of unfair to just 'throw wrenches' in them because they're good plans.

That said, I think one way to address this is rather than 'buffing' the enemy's own plan, have it be something else. One problem that has plagued even well prepared generals is the issue of people not following orders correctly. If they've got subordinates it's always possible some of those subordinates will do something that isn't a part of the plan. Say, for example, charging the enemy early or chasing the enemy prematurely when they break then getting surrounded. You could also maybe offer 'bait' that creates an incentive to break the plan and improvise - perhaps the enemy is weak in an unexpected area (rather than the alternative that I would find frustrating as a player which is "turns out they're stronger in the area you were planning to attack, that sucks!") or perhaps that some priority enemy target could be captured if they push an advantage they weren't planning to push. This gives the dilemma of "do we go forward with our current plan, or adapt the plan to a riskier strategy for a potentially higher payoff?"
>>
File: 1474486375560.gif (3MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474486375560.gif
3MB, 500x500px
>>49764426
>>49764442
>>49764506

I'm a level 7 draconic sorc and it's pretty fucking depressing man.

I'm a D6 hd full caster (who gets a whole +7 HP because draconic bloodline wooo!) and the party's D8 full armor and weapon proficiency Cleric is just a way fucking better spellcaster. Oh and the Cleric also gets a bunch of abilities like channel divinity and such as well!

He's got rituals and shit, way more spell versatility than me. The Cleric basically fills the role I should while also front lining and supporting people with heals and better buffs.

I can twin Haste like once a day and basically win us a fight, but that's literally all I do besides cast damage spells.

the campaign's coming to a close soon and I'm retiring the character, though honestly I wish I had just killed him off or swapped classes like two months ago

It's legitimately the least satisfying/least fun class I've ever played in my history of D&D.

the thing that really just irks me is the complete joke that is my spells known. I have less spells known and less spells prepared as a level 7 Sorcerer than I would as a level 4 Wizard.
>>
File: 134 - 1RsCnkg.jpg (28KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
134 - 1RsCnkg.jpg
28KB, 400x300px
I hear a lot of complaints about Sorcerer. While I'm not disputing the fact that they're pretty lackluster, I'm interested in hearing /tg/'s ideas on how they could improve the class beyond simply being a dip for Warlock or Paladin.
>>
File: hug me.gif (88KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
hug me.gif
88KB, 500x281px
>>49764554
Well man, at least you didn't make the WORST choice possible. You could have been a PHB Ranger.
>>
>>49764532
>This gives the dilemma of "do we go forward with our current plan, or adapt the plan to a riskier strategy for a potentially higher payoff?"
Good shit, thanks Anon
>>
You guys that bitch and moan every try to stop playing by the math and play by the fluff. Build your character well using the math but roleplay it according to the fluff of your class/race/background/personality traits/ideals/bonds/flaws. Play for the group as a whole instead of wanting to be the star mary sue of the adventure/campaign. You might have more fun.
>>
>>49764727
Why not both
>>
>>49764506
> It encourages that kind of "special snowflake" mentality where a character is awesome simply because they have a "special bloodline" Mary Sue shit that they can rub in other player's faces.

Do you ban the Noble background too?
>>
>>49764740
Because its a cooperative team game. Your character doesn't know its stats. Most of you are rankest metagamers.
>>
File: +.png (38KB, 326x232px) Image search: [Google]
+.png
38KB, 326x232px
>>49764727
I wish this false-equivalence argument would just eat shit and die already.

For the 100 millionth time, it's not about being the star of the campaign. It's about having a character who can keep up with the other characters in the party and make meaningful contributions. This is why game balance is important. People play Sorcerers because the fluff sounds cool then realize their character kinda sucks compared to other options they could have taken and doesn't offer much mechanically aside from a few twinned/quickened spell exploits while stuff like the Wizard and Cleric have tons of cool and interesting options that make for interesting and varied gameplay without being mechanical dead-weight towards the party.
>>
>>49764587
Extra spells known from bloodlines.
Metamagic options that scale, or new ones available as you level
An at-will option on par with, or slightly below EB.
>>
>>49764767

Fuck game balance. That sucks all the flavor out of the game and you end up with homogenized shit where no one is good and no one is bad. Fucking try being creative and roleplay better for more fun.
>>
>>49764780
Oh right, and almost forgot, more sorcery points, possibly a sorcery point recovery mechanic.
>>
>>49764796
Literally the go-to excuse for powergamers and That Guys. You're not convincing anyone by parroting it ad-infinitum.
>>
>>49764780
Would that not simply be Fire Bolt? What kind of metamagic options would you propose? What about adding something like the Warlock's invocations, and tinkering with Draconic Sorcerer so that other archetypes are allowed to have CHA to damage?
>>
>>49764796
>if the sorcerer would have more spells, the game would be homogenized!

Do you know how retarded you sound?
>>
>>49764796
>I don't want my fellow players to be able to hold up to my "mechanical mastery" and I should be able to pull ahead because of my knowledge, let them wallow in their roleplay
Ivory Tower, fuck off.

Alternatively
>I don't care if I'm useless to the party, I'm roleplaying so I have fun, the rest of them be damned
You fuck off too.
>>
File: 1465943881925.png (605KB, 1088x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1465943881925.png
605KB, 1088x1366px
>>49764587
Two ideas that I liked, and kind of wish could get combined, is the warlock invocations suggested by >>49764426
and the sorc that gained abilities as it lost spell slots, from D&D Next I think? And letting them cast spells without a focus or components of course (except spells that require gp components, for balance).

You pick a sorc bloodline, then every few levels, you pick a "devolution" (or something, not attached to the name) from a list. Some devolutions could require certain bloodlines, but all of them would require you to have used certain amounts of spell slots to activate.
Imagine sorcs that, as they channeled more and more magic, became increasingly unstable. One gains scales (AC) and claws (higher damage melee) and starts wading into the fight. Another starts to blink in and out of existence, or another can suddenly reflect an opponents spell once, or starts radiating a healing aura.
I would give metamagic to the wizards, and give these to the sorc.
>>
>>49764810
>Would that not simply be Fire Bolt?

No, because fire-bolt only adds your CHA once and doesn't trigger effects like Hex multiple times.

It's also fire, so it's susceptible to resist/immunity.

>What kind of metamagic options would you propose?

Not sure. The problem with the current MM setup is, you pick the ones you want early and then you don't get any meaningful upgrades as you level; just shit you passed over before. Either tier-ing or improving metamagics could solve that (twinning could become trippling, quicken could be used for two non-cantrip spells for example).

>What about adding something like the Warlock's invocations, and tinkering with Draconic Sorcerer so that other archetypes are allowed to have CHA to damage?

These are good ideas.

Could add a bunch of "0' cost metamagic that were shit like CHA to damage of spells (maybe based on some condition), and then have bloodlines hand some out for free.

Which reminds me, fucking shaping metamagic costs points when the blaster wizard gets to do it for free, that's fucking bullshit.
>>
File: 1457941998753.png (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1457941998753.png
143KB, 800x1000px
>>49764796
You sound like someone who only plays Tier 1 wizards and clerics in Pathfinder then bitches about how nobody plays Martials because they're "bad roleplayers", and not because it's a tier-12 class that can't do anything useful or meaningful past level 5. Please fuck back off to Pathfinder General.
>>
Is putting my level 1 party against another level 1 party of npcs a fun idea or a 50% chance of a TPK
>>
>>49764813

Putting words into my mouth doesn't make them true. I'm not a powergamer or a min/maxer. If being mechanically superior matters to you then your are. Just don't play that class. I have no problem playing a Sorc or a ranger from the PHB. If you feel useless then you either don't know how to play or you have a shitty DM.
>>
>>49764871
In most cases, level 1 characters are about CR 1, so expect a TPK. Try using some weaker NPC stat blocks instead of using the PC creation rules for NPCs, like maybe acolyte-bandit-noble-tribal warrior.
>>
>>49764866
We are talking 5E, not Mathfinder. Fuck off.
>>
>>49764888
>Literally bypassing all counter-arguments to continue to scream the same false-logic until everyone gets sick of you and you declare a "victory".

You're playing way too hard at damage-control on an anonymous message board.
>>
>>49764871
You could let them meet another party. I've always been a fan of evil opposites or evil clones

They can finally kill them at like level 5 after a few close calls and being beaten to prizes etc for satisfaction
>>
>>49764888
So you're the second option.
Don't worry about the whole "not contributing to the party" thing. The DM will probably get to know the group well enough to knock CR down a few. I have idiots in my group I have to use kiddie gloves for, too.
>>
>>49764910
I'm not resorting to fabricating what anyone else is saying or thinking to win an argument. Seriously, how fucking pathetic is that?
>>
>>49764871
Depends on how competently the other party fights. They may mechanically have a 50% capacity for killing the players, but if they stand there and keep beating on the players' tank while the wizard glass-canons them to death, it's not going to be that hard of a fight for the players.
>>
>>49764179
Have them use the spell point system from the DMG by default. It allows a ton of flexibility, which is what sorcerers should be good at. In turn, the limited spell list should theoretically prevent things from getting too out of hand.

That said, I've never actually played with spell points, so I have no idea how well they work in actual gameplay.
>>
>>49764945
>>49764871
Whoever gets off the sleeps first wins.

Unless there are elves. Then it's a bit more complicated.
>>
Friend just messaged me to see if I want to join a session starting in a few hours.
Give me some interesting or fun character concepts to play for the upcoming games. I know nothing of the other characters in the session or the setting in general so feel free to get cuhrazy.
>>
>>49764952
The fight was over when literally every reply to the original post >>49764796 called him a retard or a troll. But I'll grab some popcorn and have myself a show tonight.
>>
What reason is there for classes to be unbalanced?
Not homogenized, because they should all have their own fields of specialty, with some overlap. After all, some spells are shared between list, or mechanics between martials.
Why are unbalanced classes ever a good thing? They don't add to roleplay, they just take away from the mechanics of the game.
What advantage does it serve to have the sorcerer be, for most intents and purposes, completely overshadowed by your choice of all other full casters?
>>
>>49764983
Some are afraid balance will give them the 4e cooties.
>>
>>49764967
halfing divination wizard if level 1
or because Sorc is the topic then halfing wild sorc/ divination if you are starting lv 3 or above

>>49764796
how do you roleplay if everything you do fails or isnt as effective as you expected
>>
>>49765007
>I feel like I'm in a minority saying that
You're not, /tg/ just has a loud group of 4e posters.
>>
Next adventure I want Al-Qadim. Arabian night setting is just cool
>>
>>49764587
more spells known
>>
>>49765112
Right now it looks more likely to be another FR one, involving Undermountain and Waterdeep.

That's just a rumor though.
>>
File: 1462862914228.jpg (90KB, 736x965px) Image search: [Google]
1462862914228.jpg
90KB, 736x965px
>>49764587
>>49764179

Make them Warlocks and just treat the bloodlines like a different flavor of Patron. Seriously, Warlock Patrons do everything that Bloodlines did in 3.5/PF, including allowing access to spells that match the character's theme, and Warlocks feel mechanically different enough from Wizards to be their own thing. The short-rest regeneration even fits the flavor of Sorcerers as having a well of "natural" magic rather than struggling to master it slowly and carefully like a wizard. Warlocks are literally what Sorcerers should have been.
>>
I have a new party of 6 level 1s.

Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Bard, Warlock

How should I be balancing the CR of encounters? How many CR1 monsters could they be expected to fight at once?
>>
>>49765373
I'm thinking of having them fight a level 2 cleric PC protected by 4 CR 1/8 guards. Is that reasonable? The guards will stand in front and be blessed and healed.
>>
>>49765373
Read the latest UA, it's exactly about this.

>>49765422
Do not use PC enemies. There's a cleric NPC, convert up or down from there.
>>
sup /tg/
new player / DM and ive got some questions.
what i know of warlocks generally is that they make deals with other entities for knowledge and power but from what ive read in PHB there is only the one original deal with an entity in character creation and then you are basically a sorcerer. i know this isnt EXACTLY accurate but you get what i mean
is there something im missing or will i have to homebrew my own deal making with lesser beings?
i really want my warlock to be kind of a lawyer/middleman #1 getting people in contact with infernal entities and #2 making sure that they dont get completely fucked by whatever deal they make.
am i looking in the wrong place or do you have any advice on how to homebrew some demonic pact-making?
>>
>>49765458
Fiend pact warlock is what you want if you want to be devil's advocate.
>>
I'm hoping to start a game soon except I'm only able to get 2 players so far excluding myself. What considerations should I be making when balancing encounters?
>>
Looking for some vague advice-

I'm a long-time DM, first time player as of this weekend. Now that I'm not DMing I'll just be a full-time player in a new group...

What's been your favorite class to play so far? Or, more precisely, what's some of the more universally fun classes to play? I don't want to min-max or anything, just curious as to what's held itself above water for most folks.
>>
>>49764593

What's wrong with PHB Ranger?
>>
>>49765593
>What's wrong with PHB Ranger

It's shit that what.

Did you even fucking look at it?
>>
File: 092 - lww47Gf.jpg (13KB, 311x248px) Image search: [Google]
092 - lww47Gf.jpg
13KB, 311x248px
>>49765593
Transcending the normal laws of bait, anon.
>>
>>49765607
>>49765623

Sorry I'm pretty new to 5e. Other than favored enemy being useless what's wrong with them?
>>
>>49765487
well yeah when i make the pact with the fiend that puts me on his pay-roll but what if i want another demon on MY pay-roll?
>>
>>49765664
>>49765593
Hunter is okay, but I believe it's outperformed in terms of damaged by a Ranged Fighter. Beastmaster is pretty bad considering the animal companion is nigh useless in combat, and you can't even really roleplay a good bond with it because it'll likely die.

It can be argued that Ranger has a bunch of utility outside of battle but that's only true if your DM loves survival checks, wild exploration, and travel mechanics. Which, survey says, most don't.

Most fixes to Ranger beef up favored enemy to be relevant in more situations and more useful. Otherwise, making animal companions more relevant to combat and at least easily resurrectable.

Check out this UA latest attempt at fixing Ranger and compare it to the vanilla PHB. You'll see the difference pretty quickly.
>>
>>49765593
I can't make you into a Drizzt clone.
>>
>>49765458
> Not making a contract with collective unconciousness
> Not spending your free time as a Japanese Highschool student

Do you even Purseowner
>>
>>49765664
They're just not very good and dont have a clear role that a different class couldn't do better.

A Valor Bard archer completely shits on a Ranger archer in so many ways. A Ranger gets his max level (level 5) spells at like level 17; a valor Bard could take two of those max level ranger spells at level 10, while being a fullcaster having more spell slots /spells known, having expertise having the same equipment proficiencies etc etc

PHB ranger just doesn't hold up against other similar classes, like Sorcerer.

Revised ranger is solid though, definitely a good class
>>
File: 1467611815391.jpg (92KB, 463x700px) Image search: [Google]
1467611815391.jpg
92KB, 463x700px
>>49765593
Ranger tries to do too many things at once, some of which are useless, and ends up failing at all of them.

Ranger wants to be the guy with awsome archery skills, and two-weapon fighting, and survival skills, and a pet, and magic, and assassiny favored enemy bonuses and be nimble and have armor and... and... and... ect.

In terms of combat ability, a fighter is better, even with bows.

In terms of magic, a druid is better by far.

In terms of animal companions, and class with summoning spells is better.

In terms of stealth and skills and assassin things, a Rogue is better.

In terms of being able to do EVERYTHING, A Bard is better.

In terms of wilderness survival, LOL CREATE-FOOD-AND-WATER SPELL pretty much makes that entire aspect of the game an unnecessary joke, and most GMs don't like running survival simulators anyway.

PHB Rogue is the worst class in the game, no contest. Even WoTC acknowledged this and did a Unearthed Arcana "fix" for it (although it's merely decent now, not really "good" IMO. Still lightyears more playable than the PHB one though.).
>>
>>49765859
>PHB Rogue
Better delete this post and edit that so no one renders your argument invalid.
>>
>>49765859
Rouge is fine fuck you
>>
File: Player Character Drives Plot.jpg (119KB, 721x621px) Image search: [Google]
Player Character Drives Plot.jpg
119KB, 721x621px
>>49765880
>>49765896
You both know I meant PHB Ranger. Still gotta give me shit though, huh?
>>
>>49765664
Beastmaster doesn't do what it flavor as. Your companion is weak as hell and only good as a cheap shock tropper.
>>
Help me make the cutest Moon Druid! Which form is the cutest (and still useful to the party).
>>
>>49765907
>>
>>49765927
crab
glowing beetle useful in the dark
>>
My tables houserules:

Everyone get the Expertise feature at level 1. However it only affects 1 skill. Makes sense that a sword and board fighter gets double prof. bonus on Athletics, for example, or a wizard gets double prof. bonus on arcana. A non-bard Entertainer could use it to be amazing at Perform.

Unarmed strikes do Strength or Dexterity modifier damage. Also, as a bonus action, you can kick someone for Strength or Dexterity mod. damage during combat.

A spellcaster can change the damage type of a spell, but it lowers its damage die by 1 level. Firebolt is now Frostbolt, but it does 1d8 damage. Poison Spray is now Acid Spray but it does 1d10 damage.

The Monk class is deleted.

Druids wild shape has standard health and damage each level. They choose what form their wild shape takes and gain a feature depending on the choice. For example, birdshape gets flying, bearshape gets bonus HP, wolfshape gets pack tactics, etc...

A man cannot play female characters.

There is a nigger jar and if you say nigger during the game (we are all black) then you put money in it. We use the money from the jar on food.
>>
>>49764426
>>49764179
do you think WOTC will ever release a revised UE of the Sorcer?

Anyway i wanted to ask something: recently i had my party partecipate in an encounter where they where more of spectators than real players: It was a battle between a group of orcs and orcs related creatures against creatures of nature that were defending the forest from the orcs.
It was already planned by me that the orcs had to be splattered and that than the nature squad would bring the party to the queen matron of the forest (lots of homebrews, both mine and taken from the web). The party did do some damage though during the battle.
My question is: is it fair to give them half the exp for that encounter or should i still give them the full exp for it?
>>
>>49764179
Make Con the Sorcerer casting stat.
Their powers come from their physique and bloodline not this force of will bullshit.

Let them get lower level spells as an at will as they level up.
>>
File: WAT.jpg (84KB, 349x317px) Image search: [Google]
WAT.jpg
84KB, 349x317px
>>49766196

>Using EXP
People still do this? I just give my players level-ups when they complete plot-arcs or hit other important moments in the story where it feels appropriate for them to level up. Who wants to deal with all the bookeeping of EXP points or all the wheedling of players trying to squeeze as much out of every encounter as possible (even to the detriment of options that would work better narratively but involve less chances for exp)?
>>
>>49766234
Not that guy, and I prefer milestone XP as well, but that's because my games are mostly conversation/RP driven rather than combat driven, so for other people who're playing a more combat-driven game measuring advancement by monsters slain is more concrete than what can be seen as a more GM-abstract concept.
>>
>>49766234
We use it around our local area since we're not doing a long campaign (rotate DM, each arc is around 4-5 session long) and people tend to join and drop on their convenient.
>>
>>49766234
>>49766283
>>49766307
Why do you rather shittalk and complain about my methods instead of being helpful?
This is why I costantly feel hopeless while asking for help on 4chan.
>>
>>49766107
>The Monk class is deleted.
What the fuck is wrong with Monk, mate?
>>
>>49766107
You're very eloquent for a
>>
>>49766321
I wasn't, I was legitimizing combat XP but to answer your question give them XP for what they managed to accomplish, like killing orcs outright or just maiming them to some degree.
>>
What classes should get an UA fix?
>>
File: i dont care.gif (497KB, 312x205px) Image search: [Google]
i dont care.gif
497KB, 312x205px
>>49766234
Not him but I just like knowing how close I am to reaching the next level and being able to keep track of progress. I'm currently playing in a game where the GM decides when we level up and it just feels like he's making arbitrary decisions and the next level could come in a few weeks or a year based on his whims.
>Who wants to deal with all the bookeeping of EXP points
I voluntarily track my own inventory and carry weight capacity even though every GM I've ever had has said I don't even need to glance at it so saying that it's too much bookkeeping holds no weight with me
>all the wheedling of players trying to squeeze as much out of every encounter as possible (even to the detriment of options that would work better narratively but involve less chances for exp)?
If that's the kind of players you have it would help to change it so that exp is awarded at the end of every session instead of every time they murder something.
>>
Darts, two weapon fighting, dual wield and sharpshooter looks pretty strong if im reading stuff correctly.
>>
>>49766361
I wouldn't mind some variant rules for Sorcerer, ay.
>>
>>49766321
I have an issue with an encounter where players' choice and impact is irrelevant. They could do a lot of damage, a little damage, no damage, but outcome is decided. I would give them full exp for it because of how stupid the idea of this encounter would sound to me after I implemented it.

>>49766234
You trade off interesting incentives and players controlling their advancement pace for less bookkeeping. In my current game you get exp for recovering useful artifacts that you'll use to rebuild your home, a forgotten outpost at the edge of the decadent empire. You can always save an artifact for yourself but that doesn't get you exp. Stuff like that. It's a tool for GMs that want to experiment a bit.
>>
so level one you can do 2d4+6?
why? just get a great sword
>>
>>49766430
What?
>>
>>49766430
it was meant for >>49766373
>>
>>49766361
Warlock, they're an incoherent mess of a class filled with trap options and the only way to play them while keeping up with the rest of the party is either to
A) Take the eldritch blast invocations first and foremost and just use your slots for pooping out Hex to buff your blasts
B)be an asshole and drag the rest of your party down by using Darkness+Devil Sight so nobody but you can see anything
Their spell list is terrible and their pact slots don't even scale all the way up past 5th level so there's no appeal to playing them all the way to high level as opposed to dipping them for their frontloaded abilities outside of just accepting that you won't be very good at anything but pew pewing for the sake of your character concept being a pure warlock.
>>
>>49766361
Sorcerer is fine power-wise but not broad enough in concepts. Also that level 20 capstone should be a level 3 ability that scales with sorcerer level. The metamagic feature needs work so you're not picking your 2 favorites right from the get-go and then picking things you wanted less as you level.

Warlock is mechanically fine but Eldritch Blast and its invocations need to be class features instead of "choices" that aren't really choices. Eldritch Blast should not be its own cantrip and instead should be a feature that does neat things with warlock spells.

The 4 Elements Monk needs a re-write to give it more options, including some that enhance base monk features and some that don't cost extra ki. The base monk class is fine though.
>>
>>49766518
One major problem with being a Warlock is that every other Cha class is better at being a Warlock than you.
>>
>>49766361

You do know that UA isn't official content. Its just shit the designers put together to toss out at the Autistics to play test and hopefully fix so they know what to include in future books/supplements.
>>
>>49766689
The only good UA is UA Ranger and UA Gourmand
>>
File: Chauntea.jpg (813KB, 1298x886px) Image search: [Google]
Chauntea.jpg
813KB, 1298x886px
She's so hot and fertile omg
>>
>>49764766
>my character doesn't know what he's good or bad at
>even though he and most other characters choose their class based entirely on what they're good at
>>
>>49766399
again, you just comfirm my disappointment in this community. Thanks a lot.

>>49766359
Sorry for assuming then, thanks for the insight.
>>
>>49766712
Fugly.
>>
>>49766761
Class is an abstraction. Why would your character know what a class is let alone having chosen one at some point in their lives. Granted certain fantasy professions share a name with the classes but they're not exclusive to that class. A cleric or a fighter could play a paladin of a holy order, a druid could play the cleric if a deity
>>
This thread seems perfect for the homebrew I'm working on.

Sorcerer: Pyromancer

Level 1: Gain the Conjure Flame and Control Flames Cantrips.

Conflagration: When you roll a critical on an attack roll, or when an enemy rolls your proficiency bonus or lower as a saving throw for an effect that deals fire damage, the creature is subjected to the Ignited Condition.

Ignited Condition: At the beginning of the target's turn the creature takes d6 fire damage. Either the affected creature or a creature within 5 feet of the affected creature can use their action to douse the flames. Creatures immune to your fire damage are immune to this condition.

Ignition: When you gain sorcery points, you gain an additional use of them. When you deal fire damage to a target you may spend 1 sorcery point to give them the Ignited Condition.

Level 6: You gain resistance to fire damage.

Erupt in Flames: Using 2 sorcery points, you can cast fireball at level 3 centered on yourself.

Level 14: Living Bomb: When you can see creatures within 120 feet of you that are affected by the ignited condition, you may use your action and 3 sorcery points per target to have the creatures be the center points of Fireball spells, cast at level 3.

When you deal fire damage to a target immune to fire, treat the immunity as resistance.

Level 18: The Fireballs cast through Living Bomb are now level 5 spells, while still only requiring 3 and 2 sorcery points respectively.

So the deal I'm looking for is spending a lot of sorcery points to put out an insane amount of damage. The issues with this class is simply a ton of friendly fire, and one of the features involved doing around 30 damage to yourself. I expect someone who gets this will get the elemental adept feat, but that would make the self fireballing hurt more.

I don't want to just steal the Evocarion wizard ability I mean I think they can multi class to get that if they really want it. It's just I don't know how to make it more user friendly.
>>
>>49766847
go back to wow faggot
>>
>>49766870
I can't think of any other names for fire abilities so suggestions are appreciated faggot.
>>
>>49766870

>>49766881
are you two gonna make out ?
>>
>>49766881
>suggestions are appreciated
suggestion: go away
>>
>>49766820
The character is still playing to his strengths. A strong, tough character picks up a sword and shield and gets in people's faces. A brilliant but possibly frail or slow or weak character becomes a wizard. Also, in real life I know what I'm good and bad at because I'm capable of rational thought and discernment. The idea that nobody actually knows they're strong or charismatic or smart is ridiculous on its very surface. Now if you want to say my character doesn't think "oh my dex is 16 so he has a +3 mod" that's another thing, but what the +3 does for him is obvious when put into practice.
>>
>>49766689

666 ate nine
>>
id rather cum in my own mouth than play this>>49766847
>>
>>49764179
>no components needed besides material ones that actually cost money
>give rituals, it's silly that they can't channel their innate magic into casting rituals.
>give spell slots / points on short rest
>allow sorcerers in particular to cast multiple spells per turn(because they're the only ones who have access to quicken)
>>
>>49766847
Erupt in flames seems almost suicidally useless
Using it where casters are usually positioned (the back of a fight) would only hurt you and your friends
Using it in melee means you'll lose most of you HP making you easy pickings for enemies and you'll probably piss off any melee allies you have
>>
>>49767151
Yeah I can agree on that. I can instead of the constant resistance to fire I can have immunity to the caster's fire be given to people per Charisma modifier per day. That means the pyromancer can fireball the martials or himself or the entire team.

Or instead of focusing on all the fireballing I can focus on the condition more, I'm trying to think of what is fun and I think maybe more options to use sorcery points on or take advantage of the ignited condition. Like when hit with fire damage the d6 procs again like a hunter's Mark. That means 3 scorching rays can proc 3d6 but then they would only do that. Maybe bonus action up the damage of the ignited condition with sorcery points and force a save instead to get the flames off.
>>
>>49767111
honest just as a thought would casting cantrip as a bonus action normally break sorc?
>>
What would invocations be called if they were a barbarian class feature? Like, if they were a bard class feature, they could be called performances. A fighter could have tactics. A ranger could have lores maybe. A sorcerer could have bloodline quirks. A wizard, arcane secrets. A cleric prayers. A paladin prayers. A monk gets meditations. A rogue gets tricks. But what would you call barbarian invocations?

And while we're at it, thoughts on the other names I proposed?
>>
>>49767303

Dip 2 levels into warlock, get EB. Outdamage everything.
>>
>>49767323
Of the ones you made up only "tactics" is good.
"Arcane secrets" is okay but too close to Bard's "Magical Secrets".
>>
>>49767323
Rage power?

Totem?
>>
>>49764233
Why not have index cards/a spreadsheet divided up by body locations and containers?
>>
>>49767323
Disciplines
>>
File: 1475082569771.jpg (5KB, 158x152px) Image search: [Google]
1475082569771.jpg
5KB, 158x152px
>>49767302
>>
>>49767381
well sure but I was thinking with the whole sorc have in born magic then,
at level 1 then get something like they can cast any spell + cantrip as bonus action
at level 3 then they get sorc can ignore component as long as it does cost more than sorc level x 25 gp, if it does you can replace with something similar that cost 1/8 less

at level 8 it cost 1/4, lv 12 cost 1/3 less, lv 16 cost 1/2
>>
>>49767555

-_-

How does that change the fact that you're basically turning sorcerers into super warlocks more than they already are? You can literally truck out warlock-level EB damage at 4D10+20 plus whatever damn spell you want on your main action. You can even forgo one such bonus action to cast hex on a big target to add D6 to the damage, and hex's being cast at lvl 1 doesn't weaken it at all. Even if you want to make some convoluted ruling that only sorc cantrips count, you can still double (or triple) firebolt people for EB damage while not having to pay for it in the form of an invocation, or even the warlock's general issue of having a shitty # of spells/day for a full caster.
>>
File: confuse.png (361KB, 473x675px) Image search: [Google]
confuse.png
361KB, 473x675px
>>49766107
>A spellcaster can change the damage type of a spell.
I allow this too, but only when the spell is first learned. Being able to change elements on the fly is wayyyyy overpowered.

>The Monk class is deleted.
Uhm... wat? Why?

A man cannot play female characters.
This literally isn't a problem if you play with people who aren't basement-dwelling anime-obsessed weeaboos.
>>
>>49767614
>-_-
Please don't.
>>
Warlock 2 / Mastermind Rogue X.

Would this build work? Eldritch Blast + Hex should help me do some damage while I'm spending my bonus action to give advantage to people.
>>
>>49767648
>I allow this too, but only when the spell is first learned. Being able to change elements on the fly is wayyyyy overpowered.
Naw, it lowers the damage so it's never been close to OP in our games. The DM initially required an Arcana check of 10 to do it, since you were essentially altering the spell mid cast, but that got dropped. Failing the check did lead to some really funny situations, however.

Also, the monk class sucks. It's weeby and has no place at our table. One of our long time players used fist weapons (reskinned weapons from the PHB) and the Tavern Brawler feat to play a brawler fighter. It was a memorable character. Just no meditating and using ki and gay shit like that.
>>
my favorite character was a monk with the variant wanderer background that gets posted here sometimes. variant human with the the mobile feat. really good character. he never felt underpowered. he wasn't asian, he was a follower of Oghma actually, whose followers have a proclivity for wrestling and unarmed combat.

they do get shit on a lot i notice, maybe because of how bad they were in 3.5
>>
>>49767648
If Fighters are a 10/10 class, then Monks would be 0.00000001/10 class

Also false, men playing women leads to stereotypes, much like what happens when people play non-human races
>>
>>49767737
Monks being "weeby" has nothing to do with the class and everything to do with the players.
Meditating to regain ki is the same shit as Clerics and Paladins praying to regain spells, or elves trancing to regain anything.
The Monk in my group is a Forest Gnome who lived as a hermit in the woods for years. If you didn't know which classes had what abilities and judged him purely by RP you'd assume he was a Druid of some kind - his Monk weapons are a sickle and a quarterstaff, he harvests herbs and talks to animals, etc.
Monks can just play like a BM Fighter.
>>
>>49767786
So you only allow human characters?
Why are you even playing a fantasy game if nobody's allowed to pretend to be something they're not?
>>
>>49766361

1. Sorcerers
As explained several times in this topic, they're strictly-inferior wizards and meta-magic doesn't really make up for that.

2. Warlocks
I don't think Warlocks are too weak or anything. I just wish they had more to do than cast Hex once and then turn into an Eldritch Blast turret for the rest of a fight. I wish Bladelock were more like Pathfinder's Magus class. I wish Pact of the Chain were more like Unchained Summoner, or even the UA Ranger and had a useable magic-pet. I wish Pact of the Tome were a competent caster with options appealing enough to outweight Agonizing/Repelling Eldritch Blast, like some good healing/debuff spells like the Pathfinder Witch class.

3. Druid
Transforming to get additional "HP Bars" is bullshit and it astounds me that this is even a thing. Thank god the entire class is so boring that even powergamers avoid it.

4. Clerics
I wish a "white mage" or "priest/priestess" sort of option existed. I would love to be a Life Domain cleric that behaves more like a caster (light/no armor, decent cantrips, spell-focused, ect) than these melee-oriented pseudo-paladins that most of the good domains end up doing. Arguably UA Theurge already does this, but I've seen alot of DMs ban it because the wizard stuff on top of all that makes it blatantly overpowered.

5. Barbarian
Just seems kinda meh compared to all the cool stuff fighters get. Plus Bear Totem's very first power is blatantly superior to almost every other totem power, even the higher-level ones. Doesn't make other choices very appealing.
>>
>>49767795
What he said. I allow my players to play monks if they aren't eastern in style. Fighting with staves and your fists and meditating don't have to be asian.
>>
File: 1475660204724.jpg (15KB, 128x201px) Image search: [Google]
1475660204724.jpg
15KB, 128x201px
>>49767795
>>
>>49767812
No, other races aren't banned, it's just that everyone picked human because it is categorically the easiest to roleplay and have a good character
>>
>>49767835
Okay, whatever floats your boat.
This being over text and given the context probably sounds sarcastic but I don't mean for it to be.
>>
>>49767851
Try an all-human party some time, I can guarantee that even the worst roleplayers will improve significantly
>>
>>49767868
I had a few back in the days of 3.5e but those were out of desire for feats rather than any interest in RP, it fell apart after a few sessions as campaigns with "build"-obsessed players tend to do.
>>
>>49765907
Ah, good, you corrected yourself.
>>
>>49766334
Something, something, not Medieval fantasy, I'm guessing. Which makes no Goddamn sense becuase it's not like mind flayers or rust monsters are Medieval fantasy either.

Besides which, Marco Polo schlepped all the way to Asia to hang out with Kublai Khan in the 1400s, and he was by far not the first Europeaner to do so. I see no reason why some Son Wukong looking motherfucker couldn't make the same trip but in reverse. Perhaps as part of some...Journey to the West, or something.
>>
>>49767433
What would you suggest for the other ones?

>>49767532
I like it.

>>49767517
Since one barb already gets Totems, it would be confusing. Same for rage powers, since these could be active while not raging.
>>
>>49768008
Rites.
>>
>>49767381
Also still be less useful than a solo-class sorcerer.
>>
>>49768066

How so? One ASI and the sorc's shitty lvl 20 feature aren't terribly powerful.
>>
>>49768124
Every level before 17 means you're delaying higher level spells.

At levels after 17, you're giving up 5th, 6th, and 7th level slots that have more potential to swing an encounter in your favor.
>>
>>49768066
I want to know too. Was going to play Undying Light Warlock 2 / Favored Soul and spam laser and light everywhere.
>>
>>49768157
> implying your game actually go up to level 17-20
> implying most campaign doesn't end at second tier.
>>
>>49768202
read
>>49768157

>>49768219
>>49768157
>Every level before 17 means you're delaying higher level spells.
This includes the levels you're talking about. Delaying 3rd, 4th, or 5th level spells is less powerful than getting 3rd, 4th, or 5th level spells on schedule.
>>
>>49768202
Play it if you want. It's weaker because of the delayed spell progression but it's not objectively bad.
>>
I'm working on a mystery, and I've got a dark elf assassin that was kicked out of the Drow city for being too violent. He works for a bunch of doppelgangers, and he assassinates one of the party's friends.

I'm having trouble getting ideas to get from "murder" to "searching for the assassin" to "finding him and taking him out". The doppelgangers he works for runs what amounts to one of the most powerful criminal organizations in the city, secretly; an organization within an organization, as it were.

I've got the murder thought out pretty well; I have clues, and a witness that the party can locate if they're clever enough. This witness is actually a ghost, a former victim of the dark elf assassin. I'm not sure if I want it to be as simple as, "Oh this ghost knows where to find the dark elf". That's too...simple.

The assassin was hired by someone else, which makes the mystery deeper there, but finding that one witness to get to that seems too easy to me.
>>
>>49768299
>I've got a dark elf assassin that was kicked out of the Drow city for being too violent.
You must not be playing in the default setting for 5e.

What else is different about your setting?
>>
>>49768299
Hope you don't get UA Ranger in your party. He can just use Primeval Awareness and find your Drow with no difficulty whatsoever.
>>
>>49768316
Well he is male, maybe he's been rejected for taking on a traditionally feminine characteristic, murderousness
>>
>>49768299
It's best not to overthinking your "mystery". Player usually don't play along with your plan. They might also be bored with your railroading and just roll for investigation check instead.
>>
>>49768337
Specifically if they had FE Humanoids.
Even if they used it, the response would be "there are thousands of drow in the drow city".
>>
>>49768358
>it's railroading to have any plans for a session or adventure
when will this shit meme die
lolrandumb fantasy improv is fun when you're 12, but you should grow out of it by the time you're allowed on 4chan
>>
Hey, on the subject of campaigns and house rules, what do y'all think of this document I've put together for my players for Out of the Abyss?
>>
>>49768337
Murder mysteries in D&D tend to have a lot of misdirection. If the ranger has figured out he's looking for an elf, he's earned the right to use his class feature. Primeval Awareness doesn't even say it reveals races. You know you're looking for a humanoid in a city, finding all the humanoids really narrows it down eh?
>>
>>49768299
Don't even bother coming up with a valid mystery.

Just mad libs that shit. Say to the players, character is dead, your clues are an arrow wound, since sweets, and a hooded robe. Then let them figure out a possible scenario.

Then veto it, but give them another clue, and let then figure out another possible scenario. This is the correct one.

Also a viable approach to dming puzzles.
>>
>>49768397
you don't even have a game
>>
>>49768411
>This feature reveals which of your favored
enemies are present
>>
>>49768316
Definitely not the default, no. It's the beginning of the dark ages, with isolated areas of renaissance era culture and technology; the Rome analog has collapsed into anarchy and civil war, while. The biggest theme of the setting is that the pendulum of law and chaos has swung away from law and is entering chaos, and the little bits of civilization are trying to stay afloat as all the chaotic elements of the universe are coming out to play.

The dark elf was kicked out because he stalks and murders pure elven woman, because he equates "murder" with "love". This didn't go over well with the drow. Yes, he's completely insane.

>>49768337
Thought about that. The drow is a enchantment wizard/assassin rogue multiclass, and has the amulet of non-detection from the DMG, or whatever it was called.

>>49768358
I'm actually perfectly fine with them rolling investigations if they can't figure it out; I design mysteries using the "three clues+" ideal, so they have lots of opportunities to find clues to continue the adventure. I've also always been a firm believer of the idea that "Your character might be smarter than you", so I have no issue dealing with that, even though I expect my players to try before I let them roll.

>>49768411
Learning that it's a dark elf will be difficult; it will require the party to find the witness, get her to talk to them, agree to her terms (she wants to possess one of the party members so she can enjoy killing the guy herself before she can be laid to rest).
>>
>>49768445
Oh right, old ranger. I figured anyone who would play one would dump that garbage.

Still, it's easy to obfuscate the fact that it's a dark elf. You could talk to the spirit of the victim and still not know the killer is a dark elf if he wore a convincing disguise or used an illusion.
>>
>>49768433
Meh; I find this approach to mysteries to be boring and lackluster. Without railroading, you can definitely make a fun mystery.

In addition, at no point am I going to force them to solve the mystery. Instead, they can sell everything they inherit and go off adventure somewhere. There's a buttload of things to do in the sandbox.
>>
>>49768445
Yeah, as in "humanoids" vs "dragons".
Your FEs are chosen as categories.
You don't have "FE: That Guy Who Cut In Line At The Store Yesterday".
>>
>>49768435
I will once we finally finish Rise of Tiamat. We're about to head to Thay so my DM is guessing about 2-3 months or so more, max. Then it switches back to me as DM, and I'll be running Abyss.

Then it's back to him for Curse of Strahd, then me for Storm King's Thunder.

At some point I plan on running Princes of the Apocalypse as well, but I want to change it to be a sprawling adventure taking place across a large region, rather than being isolated into a single area, and it'll probably be moved to take place in the Amn/Tethyr/Calimshan region of the Realms rather than the Sword Coast.
>>
>>49768445
Humanoid is a choice on the new ranger. You don't get to pick subsets of humanoid. It tells you humanoids are around without telling you their race or defining characteristics.

Old ranger specifics types for primeval awareness. Humanoid, elf, and drow aren't on the list.
>>
>>49768478
I'd be fine if they located the drow using their abilities. Getting to him is another question entirely. I'm not going to make it easy, though, because that drow has been murdering people for well over a century--and that's just in this city. They can have fun tracking a CR10 wizard/assassin.
>>
>>49768489
my thoughts on your pdf: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1N1gmcinBhZ
>>
I have an event coming up in a town my players are currently in. The town is going to be attack by the minions of the current antag. I'm ideally trying to show off what the two prominent factions versus the antag will do. Give them more character and more pronounced motives. However, part of this plan requires that the town eventually falls(to some degree) to [insert attack type here]. I imagine my players will charge in to both fight for civvies and looting. So, how can i have my players both fight the enemy to feel they are doing something and making progression (in terms of story and personal strength), while also showing off the demise and character of the factions without putting the players in too much danger? I haven't quite decided if the town will fall or not yet.
>>
>>49768513
Your voice is funny.

>PB vs. Standard Array
None of us like using point buy. You just take what is rolled, it's part of the fun of D&D.

>Once/long rest vs. Once/day
No, they don't. A long rest is 8 hours, a day is 24 hours. While you can only take one long rest per day, with the un-errata'd version you can only use, for example, Darkness once in a 24-hour period. With errata, you could use Darkness up to twice in a 24-hour period.

It's subtle, but it's a thing that has come up a few times whilst we've been playing Rise of Tiamat.

>Made this 'cause bored and lonely
Nope, just have a lot of free time when not at my job or playing D&D. A huge chunk of this, though, is just culled from the Internet via various sources or updated from older 3.0/3.5 stuff, not directly made by me. I've also been working on it on-again, off-again for several weeks rather than all at once, since I knew that I'd be DMing Abyss soon.

>Jimminy Christmas
You're my favorite person for the next 24 hours for actually using this phrase in real life.

>World of Warcraft
It's an update of a feat from Complete Warrior (published 2003), which predates World of Warcraft (released 2004).

>BMW Motorcycles
I dunno, I don't ride motorcycles

>Bob Dylan
He's okay, though I prefer Jimmy Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower (though by all acounts Dylan prefers that as well)

>Cutting out
Amusingly you missed the most relevant parts: slaves, changed prices and kinds of trade goods, and the house rules. But, oh well.
>>
>>49766517
Not that anon, but with sharpshooter there's the potential for an extra 20 damage assuming they both hit.

Assuming 16 in DEX it's a flat roll to hit, and you have 2d4+26 damage when both hit.
>>
>>49768663
http://vocaroo.com/i/s023y37TtffV
>>
>>49768663
Once per day =/= once per 24 hours
Once per day always resets the "counter" for the ability at dawn.
Once per 24 hours means it'll be 24 hours from whenever you cast it.
>>
>>49768792
They errata'ed that shit because of spergs who would take once per day on the racial spells to literally be once per 24 hours because it didn't provide a provision for the timer resetting.
>>
>>49768663
page 1 to 5 are fine. Nothing odd. Your feats are dumb. Your equipment is dumb. why list everything in the dictionary? If they encounter something new then give them a descritpion of it. Your House rules are dumb, they just make combat and spell casting even easier. You don't need to list the mounts, nor normalize them. Are they going to pick one up at the local 7-11?

RAW, OotA already needs to be harder if you r players are smart. It's a candy land of magic items. Also you mentioned PotA (unless I confused shit). PotA is a giant megadungeon so having it different cities across the continent just takes away from the experience instead of adding. It turns it into zelda.
Part of the challenge of a megadungeon is how far down can you go before you have to restock supplies. You can only carry so much loot and gold. If you sleep in the dungeon will shit jump out and get you?
>>
>>49764095
The most basic rules have about 100 pages. Out of these 100 pages how much do I need to learn (like word by word) before I can get in a game ?
>>
>>49768864
Learn everything your character can do. Beyond that, eh. If you've got a halfway decent DM, he can help you figure everything else out as you go along.
>>
>>49768863
>>49768663

Also this was a different anon. Not the Vocaroo anon.
>>
>>49768864
Quit being a retard. 100 pages of material is nothing if you've been to higher education.
>>
>>49768991
>thinking reading through something and making notes = knowing it word for word
sounds like it's you who hasn't been through higher education
>>
>>49768792
Whatever. The point is that an ability usable "once per day" would mean that if, at dawn, I cast Darkness, I would need to wait until the next dawn to cast it again.

Whereas "once per long rest" means that if, at dawn, I cast Darkness, I could then take a long rest and cast Darkness again 8 hours later.

>>49768780
>Con mod to death saving throws unnecessary

A wizard with a 10 Con who spends all day reading books should not be equally as likely to make Death saving throws as Conan the Barbarian.

>Trying to powergame the system
Casting darkness 2/day under the right conditions is powergaming? Okay, man...

>My job
Assisstant manager at a cinema. It's not much, but it pays the bills.

>Formatting
It looks pretty and personally pleases me.

>Warcraft
Never played, either the RTS or the MMO. I'm just saying that the feat predates Warcraft (in fact I'm pretty sure that it, itself, is an update of some feature from 2E) and my inclusion of it has nothing to do with Warcraft.

>Falling
Legacy house rule. Back in high school I ran a D&D club because I managed to con my teachers into thinking that that counted as extracurricular activity. Good times. Regardless we had several campaigns running at once with different DMs. I and my group watched one campaign across the room grind to a halt for an hour and a half as the DM and the players started doing advanced physics and crap to try and determine how fast and how far a thing falls. Ever since then we've used this house-rule for falling, since fall speed actually isn't mentioned in the DMG anywhere in 3E, 4E, or 5E, which seems like an oversight.

>Wizard scrolls
That is, in a pinch, a wizard can cast a spell directly from their spellbook, without having to prepare it. However doing so removed the spell from the book. This is to prevent wizards from having infinite spells; it's a last-ditch effort option.

>Rust Monster
...it's in the MM, you realize. I just reprinted it here since it's an available mount/pet.
>>
>>49769009
>thinking you need to know it verbatim
You shouldn't need to take notes, though. The game is not hard, 5e has been especially stripped down.
>>
>>49769017
Yes, but casting it at dawn isn't usually going to happen - it'd be more likely you'd cast it around midday, so the "cooldown" would be pretty much halved from 24h to ~12h.
No need to get defensive, I was just letting you know.
>>
>>49768863
>If they encounter something new then give them a descritpion of it.

So...it's bad to tell them ahead of time about the new equipment available to them.

>Your House rules are dumb, they just make combat and spell casting even easier

They make it easier for non-casters to cast spells, they don't really do much for extant casters.

>Are they going to pick one up at the local 7-11?

They might. Abyss has it as possible for PCs to spend significant amounts of time in Grackulstugh peacefully, and encountering random traders is also possible, as is finding a random carrion crawler mount.

>It turns it into zelda.

You think spreading the campaign out across the land "turns it into" Zelda? Becuase PotA is already super-videogamey as is.
>>
>>49769030
I didn't say you do need to, the original post did.
I think you can manage just fine on 1 readthrough of the PHB or Basic Rules, provided you return later and look over any rules that prove difficult to remember (for my group this meant I printed a list of actions you can take in combat beyond just attacking).
Although there always ends up being at least 1 player who can't remember how to roll for initiative or what their attack does even though it's written on their sheet.
>>
>>49768780

>Verbally saying the rules at the campaign start
I prefer writing things down, because that way a) there's no need to memorize them, they're right there, and b) they're easier to reference.

Also what's wrong with monks? SEE my comment upthread about Marco Polo and Son Wukong.
>>
>>49769039
As I said, it's not a distinction that's terribly likely to come up, but it has a few times, so I'm just clarifying at campaign start that we'll be using the errata.

Most house rules are responses to situations that came up in games that ended up bogging down the game in one way or another. I'm including a "help up" action, for example, because by RAW there's no way to do that but it's something that would have been useful to be able to do during Rise of Tiamat at several points. We as a group settled on what's listed there, and I'm just writing it down for easy reference purposes.
>>
>>49769054
>So...it's bad to tell them ahead of time about the new equipment available to them
Yes especially for classes that only use simple weapons. Why they would they even care about the difference between a tomahawk and a throwing axe. It doesn't have finesse? Oh then it's a dagger. Tomahawks are native american throwing axes.
>They make it easier for non-casters to cast spells, they don't really do much for extant casters.
Expanded rituals are insane. Spam animate dead as much as possible. Then you give ritual casting to every class.
>They might. Abyss has it as possible for PCs to spend significant amounts of time in Grackulstugh peacefully, and encountering random traders is also possible, as is finding a random carrion crawler mount.
Grackulstugh is not peaceful RAW. It's festering with madness. Even without madness it's a seedy den of backstabbing. They are also horribly mistrusting. Again you don't have to list out EVERY mount before hand.

>You think spreading the campaign out across the land "turns it into" Zelda? Becuase PotA is already super-videogamey as is.
Go to fire dungeon 1. Complete dungeon. Sell loot.
Travel inconsequential miles to the next dungeon.
Some time passes
Go to fire dungeon 2. Complete dungeon. Sell loot.

At least with a mega dungeon you can have enemies chase the players or migrate from one section to another. They all already want to occupy each others temple allocation.
>>
From where am I going to get more mileage? from AT or from Swasbuckler with Magic Initiate (GFB, BB, Familiar)?
>>
>>49769175
Depends what you want out of it my boy
>>
I'm building a warlock/paladin. If I want to relive my 4e hybrid days, what's the best options for me?
>>
>>49769170
>Why they would they even care about the difference between a tomahawk and a throwing axe.

Less damage but finesse. Also there's this little thing call "flavor". My thief character right now uses knives instead of shortswords or rapiers on the basis of the fact that knives are tools, not weapons, and she's a thief, not a murderer.

>Spam animate dead as much as possible

I hate to point this out to you, but a skeleton animated by Animate Dead is only under your control for 24 hours, after which point it stops listening to you unless you cast the spell again.

So, remembering that you need to sleep, you've got about 16 hours a day to work with (). Spend 8 hours a day animated 16 skeletons, you now have only 8 hours left to actually do anything with your easily killed skeletons. And you have to repeat the process again the following day. You can't build up an infinite skeleton army by any means.

>Again you don't have to list out EVERY mount before hand.

Properly speaking I didn't; however since this is the Underdark *none* of the standard mounts or animals are available remember. So I simply provided some replacements.

The 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide had gelatinous cube cavalry. I *will* have that show up at some point.

>PotA
If you honestly think that's all I'm going to be doing, you have not played nearly enough D&D.

It's a long ways off so I've only given it preliminary thoughts, but right now my thoughts are that the four cults are actively fighting each other for dominance rather than existing in an uneasy peace, and as each one is defeated their numbers will be absorbed into one of the others (fire<>earth; water<>air). The goal of the Prophets will be completely changed and tied into the region rather than simply being about empowering Elemental Evil.

I want it to be *less* videogamey, not nearly as simple as going to the DemiFire Temple and then the Fire Temple where all enemies are Fire themed and use Fire stuff.
>>
>>49769175
If you want to spam BB+SA the second option is better because you don't depend on allies
>>
>>49766334
Because he's a nigger spreging on a Mongolian basket weawing forum about Chinese muscle wizards in a game of pretend.
>>
>>49769195
Don't. Just be a full Warlock instead.
>>
>>49769388
Reasserting control over skellytons sustains four skeletons per use of the spell.
>>
>>49764179
>Sorcerer needs a fix
I understand why people would want to fix ranger and wot4e monks, but not every single non optimal class needs a fix. I've played both sorcerers and wizards and they play about the same. Wizards may have more spell options but sorcerer can use their metamagic to cast spells in very effective ways. In the end it balances out.
>>
>>49769388
>My thief character right now uses knives instead of shortswords or rapiers on the basis of the fact that knives are tools, not weapons, and she's a thief, not a murderer.
Is it a butter knife or a dagger? feel free to reflavor anything you want, but let th eplayers do it. You don't need a dictionary.

>Spend 8 hours a day animated 16 skeletons, you now have only 8 hours left to actually do anything with your easily killed skeletons. And you have to repeat the process again the following day. You can't build up an infinite skeleton army by any means.
You have no idea how good necromancers are. First off, recasting the spell, refreshes 4 under your spell. So 30 minutes per refresh means you can easily maintain 16 skeletons by burning 2 hours casting rituals. Not a problem. Then you throw buffs on to them like THP from Inspiring Leader, or you debuff the enemy like with a faerie fire. Your undead are alot stronger than you thought.

>PotA.
Sure. If you want to spend that much time rewriting PotA, then I won't stop you. You might be better off just starting over through. The maps are made to mesh together.
>>
>>49769501
t. le anecdotal evidence man
>>
>>49769175
sorry what is AT?
>>
Might be a long shot but does anyone know of an adventure module or setting that's a tavern with a hole that goes down into a dungeon below it?
It's one of those things I distinctly remember reading about but can't find when I look for it.
Same with a town somewhere in Forgotten Realms where the guards all wear magical helmets that make them sound the same.
>>
>>49769592
arcane trickster you stupid bitch
>>
>>49769477
>>49769505
>Reasserting control over skellytons sustains four skeletons per use of the spell.

Fair enough, but it's not like this option is unique to players. I operate under the rule that anything that the players do, the NPCs are allowed to do in equal force.

If the Necromancer starts animating that many skeletons then I am simply going to adjust the power level appropriately.

Second, this is less an issue with rituals and more an issue with Necromancers in general, since a Necromancer can maintain control over an army of skeletons anyway.

Still, if it bothers you that much, I'll remove Animate Dead.

For my own part the one I dislike the most is Phantom Steed, since there is no reason to ever have an actual horse if you have that ritual: stopping to recast the ritual for 10 minutes every hour is still faster than just riding a horse.

>Is it a butter knife or a dagger?

Mechanically, a dagger. The real reason for the tomahawk is to have a written-down source of 1d4 finesse slashing damage. It's not much of a design hole, but it IS a hole.

>The maps are made to mesh together.

Portals, son. Keyed portals requiring runestones. The Temple of Elemental Evil and its related subtemples will be refluffed to exist in their own demiplanes.
>>
>>49769627
hordes of the underdark pc game had a tavern like that
>>
>>49769501
Sorcerer isn't in need of fixing so much as more options; more bloodlines, more metamagic options, and each bloodline needs bonus spells.
>>
How do we fix the Fighter? It's so shit, even compared to other martials like Rangers or Barbarians. They're unplayable in the same party as a Wizard
>>
>>49769627
I can't remember the name, but its in Waterdeep, and goes down into Undermountain.
>>
Are there any fantasy wild west settings to put D&D in?
>>
>>49769704
I can agree to more metamagic options and more bloodline options being needed for the class. They do lack options.
>>
I only have two important houserules.

1.) NO fucking Gnomes

2.) Don't fight or kill or instigate your fellow teammates. I don't care how evil you are, take it out on the npc peasants, not players.
>>
>>49769719
nice b8
>>
>>49769785
> No gnomes
Why so?
>>
>>49769719
I wouldn't say they're broken, but I give all Fighters the Sentinel Feat for free.
>>
>>49769785
>NO fucking Gnomes
Why? I'm guessing there's a story behind this.

>Don't fight or kill or instigate your fellow teammates. I don't care how evil you are, take it out on the npc peasants, not players.
I like that rule.
>>
>>49769813
Gnomes are the new kender.
>>
anyone want to hear a 10 minute rambling vocaroo covering my thoughts on gnomes?
>>
>>49769627
There's a 3.5 campaign book called Expedition to Undermountain but there are older adventures set there too
>>
>>49766847
Resistance to fire isn't fun if you've already got it from another source (like dragonborn)
Maybe a form of uncanny dodge instead that only works on fire damage, half damage normally (halved again if you've got resistance from elsewhere) and no damage on a successful save. Would help with the self-immolation too.
>>
>>49769859
That sounds exactly like something a gnome would do.
Assess yourself.
>>
>>49769831
Reminder that Warcraft Gnomes are the best and should always be used
>>
>>49769831
I'd allow Kender if I knew the player was smart enough to not be a twat about it.

>>49769859
Why not just type it out. I don't feel like listening to it.
>>
>>49769859
I'm not stopping you. Go right ahead.
>>
>>49769785
I like the second rule a lot, but what did gnomes do to you to garner your distaste?
>>
>>49769876
But I don't like them either.
>>
>>49769870

If you'd pick this on a dragonborn, it's kind of your own fault for not picking a subspecies which has another resistance instead.
>>
>>49769924
>Breathe cold
>Ingrained with resistance to cold and ice
>Become a pyromancer

>The guy who can breathe fire is suboptimal as a pyromancer
I mean, you could say that they have the advantage of a short rest "spell" that does fire. But then, you're eschewing thematic and mechanical synergy.
>>
Is it a good idea to give your players great items just so that you can throw deadly encounters on them?
Long story short, my dm gave our group some great items, some even a bit to powerful in my opinion (like giving me as a tempest cleric a warhammer that deals 1d6 extra lightning damage on hit). He said this was because he wanted us to be able to fight against “enemies that actually matter”. He also said it was because it made us level faster. Was this a good idea? I’m not going to complain, but it feels like he is making us a bit overpowered.
>>
Gnomes: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0rLQpOTEC4k
>>
>>49768496
>Detect humanoids
>Find traces/trail (Perception and Survival check)
>"Are those footprints deep enough to belong to an Orc" (Investigation check) etc.
>>
>>49770061
Someone summarize. Didn't bring headphones with me.
>>
>>49769414
AT can just use owl familiar help action to get Sneak Attack all day though.
>>
>>49769175
Swashbuckler because it synergizes with the casting stat.

+Cha mod to initiatives
Free disengage on your target which is glorious with booming blade.
Panache etc.
For best results dip a level into Dragon sorcerer instead (free AC, two castings of shield, 4 cantrips).

AT is just greater mage hand the class.
>>
>>49770123
i recorded it and ill be honest, its not worth summarizing
>>
>>49769195
Seriously, nothing?
>>
>>49770123
didn't listen to the second part but the first part is a song about gnomes being a joke race.
>>
>>49769195
Start with Paladin 2, starting with Paladin will give you heavy armor proficiency. Something you don't get if you start as warlock then multiclass into paladin.

Go tome lock 3 and grab Shillelagh with your invocation if you want to be SAD.

Whether you want to come back for Paladin level or stay Warlock is up to you. More Warlock level mean more SMITE though.
>>
>>49769946

Fair enough, I guess.
>>
>>49770135
Well AT can dip into bladesinger for goodies too.
>>
>>49770181
>Go tome lock 3 and grab Shillelagh with your invocation if you want to be SAD.
Why would I use Shillelagh over a real weapon besides the SAD? As far as I know, you can't give it enhancement bonuses and it won't have any other, very useful, enchantments.
>>
>>49770123
>Monks kinda don't make any sense in D&D or fantasy in general
>Gomes are the same
>Gomes are a joke race and mostly played as one and that's bad
>There aren't any notable Gnomes in any media
>Gnomes aren't good in world of Warcraft either. (Goblins are good however)
>Some spiritual shit (I have no idea how this relates to D&D)

He kind of lost me after that but there wasn't anything of note after that.
That's the summery that I have the energy to do.
>>
>>49770303
>Some spiritual shit
sorry about that
>>
>>49770250
You can use it on magic quarterstaff / club. There is no where in the spell that prohibit it.

It even said "become magical if it isn't already is", they wouldn't need to make this specification if the interaction isn't possible.
>>
>>49770250
Someone still stuck in 3.pf
>>
>>49770036
I like doing it, I'm sick and tired of playing CR5 and under enemies I want to throw something that gets you scared. I more often than not am willing to give a PC a ton of gold for items or tossing a rare item in it just gives me more room to select what they are fighting. They feel bad ass and I don't have to play monsters I've played before.
>>
>>49770326
It wasn't bad, I just didn't see how it was relevant to Gnomes in D&D. But it's always good to reflect on deeper things than "monks are bad. M'kay?"
>>
File: 1471458222261.jpg (265KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1471458222261.jpg
265KB, 1600x900px
>Sprite
>Heart Sight
>The sprite touches a creature and knows the creature's current emotional state. If the target fails a DC10 Charisma saving throw, the sprite also knows the creature's alignment. Celestials, Fiends, and Undead automatically fail the saving throw.
Where were you when you realized that Warlocks were the "detect and punish evil" class?
>>
>>49770303
is it okay if the gnomes in my setting are angry nature spirits that dress in classic garden gnome garb and hate outsiders?
>>
>>49770364
well i did say i would ramble
>>
>>49770377
Fair's fair I guess.
>>
Reminder that all-human parties solve any race issue
>>
>>49770036
End of the day action economy will trump items more than anything, but it depends on how good he is at designing encounters. I had a group of 5 level 3s kill an adult black dragon due to poor rolls on the dragon's part, tight quarters, and one of the party members having the equivalent of a dragon slaying sword. I learned my lesson.

It sounds like yer DM wants tense/deadly combat without having piles of mooks and having said combat drag. Or he wants to break out more iconic baddies and not recycle/refluffing things constantly. Abide for now, story can always change gears to be something less fight and smash later. Consecutive, constant, near death experiences get taxing in more ways than HP loss, curses accrued, and spells expended.
>>
>>49769721
>>49769648
>>49769860
Thanks guys, it was the Yawning Portal Inn
>>
>>49770462
>Yawning Portal Inn
aka your mama
>>
>>49770367
Fey / Ancients Pallock with Sprite familiar
>>
>>49770070
Yeah that's the right way to use it, unlike the guy who was replied to who implied that Primeval Awareness instantly tells you everything and ruins the DM's mystery.
>>
>>49770129
>familiars in combat
I hope you're billionaire and have time to recast familiar every combat ever
>>
>>49770618
>billionaire

...it costs 10 gp. Gold is literally the least valuable resource a player has.

Time prior to combat is an issue, though.
>>
>>49770418
Nah elves have a higher move speed
>>
>>49767786
>implying players, rulebooks, and gms don't lean heavily on stereotypes in all things.
>>
So theres this inconvenient minor noble at court we need to get rid off so that the right people get the right inheritence. We can't be seen to be involved, so we keep sending him on suicide missions but he keeps coming back with our enemies' heads. I'm afraid the rest of the party is starting to find him endearing.

what do?
>>
>>49770815
Task him with hunting himself, duh.
In all seriousness though. Maybe frame something like a monster or madman in the night, and convince him that he's the werewolf. Either he'll make a noble act and an hero or imprison himself, or he'll run/go mad and you'll get to kill him justifiably.
If he does elect to be imprisoned, make sure someone in the party can make some fake chains of binding or some bullshit they'll believe to explain why they don't transform in the dungeon.
>>
>>49770636
The moment it aids it's going to get killed, so that's 10 GP for every combat you ever play. Assuming 7-8 combats a day as the DMG says that's 70-80 GP per day starting at 3rd level
>>
>>49770885
How it getting killed when it aids? Unless the creature readies an action to attack it when it enters it's range or has a ranged attacks and chooses to attack an owl, the owl can just fly in, aid, and swoop out unharmed thanks to flyby.
>>
>>49764762

Its like asking if given the choice you would ban the Uchiha clan.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
>>
>>49771088
So you'll get one aid out of it assuming the enemy doesn't notice.
>>
>>49771123
Depends on the enemy and the circumstances. I've played with people who easily use their familiar for aided attacks for long periods of time before the familiar bites the dust.
>>
>>49771088
>>49771123
The argument is giving the thread aids. Everyone knows the familiar stuff works. How it plays out is DM-dependent.
>>
>>49764587
>>49764179
would this + giving them access to the wizard spell-list work as a band-aid patch (plus probably reworking wild magic sorcerer)
>>
>>49771203
When you stop comparing sorcerer to wizard and just look at a sorcerer's performance against appropriate CR challenges, it's fine as-is. If the problem is player satisfaction, play a different class.
>>
>>49765666

The nature of the deal is entirely up to you and your roleplay.

I had a Tiefling in my party who was a warlock who had trouble reconciling the nature of his power with his patricidical obsession so I suggested to him that his power up came from devouring small demons.

When I playes a bard in Barovia, I recruited so many ghosts into my army of undead that my DM made ne take a level on lich Warlock, my patron being my box of ghost friends.
>>
>>49767988

No way, Medieval Europe was an island surrounded by angels with flaming swords keeping it free from the taint of foreign cultures.

The fuck is a Saracen?
Atilla the who?
>>
>>49771248
>my DM made ne take a level on lich Warlock
What an asshole move.
>>
File: gaming.jpg (84KB, 883x623px) Image search: [Google]
gaming.jpg
84KB, 883x623px
>>49769719
>champion
this is trash I won't even bother fixing, they're inferior barbarians
>eldritch knight
Being able to cast absorb elements and shield is highly desirable as a fighter and their round for round damage goes up when they get War Magic at 7th because of how GFB/BB work, take War Caster and you can hit people with Booming Blade as an opportunity attack. I will admit that they feel a little underwhelming, the 1/3 spell progression is crippling when combined with the arbitrary restriction to what spells they can take.
>battlemaster
These guys get utterly outclassed and outshined by the Paladin IF your group is not taking short rests at least three times a day. My group almost never takes short rests and in the rare event we do we only take one. As a result, classes whose resources are few in number but are short rest recoverable (superiority die, pact slots, ki) end up looking like shit compared to classes who only need to take a long rest and then they're super powerful for an entire day again. It's a problem I would imagine lots of groups have, because if your GM isn't being super autistic about videogame style designated three rests per adventuring day with level appropriate exp packet encounters, taking an entire HOUR to randomly sit down in the middle of enemy territory or some monster infested death hole just feels incredibly awkward and it doesn't get done.
Not every group has this problem, of course. If your group does, I recommend either shortening the short rest to be 10 or 15 minutes, lengthening it to 8 hour short rests with 7 day long rests, or just granting more using of short rest resources to the classes that rely on them and you think need them.
>>
I'm the guy that said no gnomes earlier.

The story isn't anything special, but it did make me hate gnomes. The guy played a gnome wizard in pathfinder. That right there should be enough of an explanation. He constantly played awful pranks on the party to the point where everyone fucking despised him. And would be like "lol just playin muh character xD." I didn't make the ruling until just recently though.

The other gnome ive seen in a DnD game wasn't nearly as bad as that guy. He played a gnome cleric and was generally just a healbot. However, absolutely nothing stood out about him. There were very few other gnomes for him to interact with other than traveling merchants, and I didn't want to go full Dragonlance with gnome lore, so they werent wacky inventors.

It just felt so out of place, I couldn't come up with anything intriguing for it as a GM. It wasn't the players fault at all, and thats when I banned them. When I realized I fucking suck making gnomes useful in games.

As for Monks as stated by others, I can come up with a ton of awesome shit for monks. I have watched every episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender and if you play a 4 elements monk, you can bet your ass theres gonna be entire elemental monk factions somewhere in the game that heavily influence the plot. Plus, it's not a half bad class. I'm pretty lenient on what people can do though, and often employ rule of cool, so that may have something to do with it.
>>
>>49770815

Send him after something that's worth more than the inheritance you're meddling with anyway. If he dies, problem solved. If he comes back again then he's basically paid himself off and you might as well keep him.
>>
Tg, I need help. I need to make a half elf Aragorn character for a friend DM, but his class is all over the place.

Should I make him a Fighter, that puts a couple of levels in ranger, a ranger that puts a Fighter soon, or should I ancients paladin his ass?
>>
>>49771378
Just UA Hunter Ranger or Ancients Paladin depending on how much you want spellcasting to come up.
>>
File: 1474308918592.gif (3MB, 225x180px) Image search: [Google]
1474308918592.gif
3MB, 225x180px
>>49771370
>I have watched every episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender
>>
File: sorcspells.jpg (24KB, 207x404px) Image search: [Google]
sorcspells.jpg
24KB, 207x404px
>>49771203
shit I forgot my image

>>49771245
>to solve the problem, ignore the problem

Have you looked at the class? The problem is not really that it is too weak (that too probably, but still), the problem is that it is utterly boring.

Shit, the class table looks like it belongs in 3.5. There are levels where all you get is a spell slot and one sorcery point.
At level one, you know a grand total of TWO spells, relegating you to the exciting role casting Magic Missile over and over (or rather, twice). Meanwhile at first level the wizard can PREPARE twice the spells you know, with the same spell slots. Sure, you'll get your max spell slots sooner, but that doesnt mean much when you get 4 total spells at level three. You know as many spells as the warlock does! But he gets to do more diverse cool shit, because he gets invocations and patron abilities.
>>
>>49771378
Arguably he works as a Paladin/Ranger multiclass.

Spell-less Ranger also is made specifically to be Strider-like.
>>
>>49771406

Quit not liking things I like!
>>
>>49767835
>An entire party of male human fighter grogs
This sounds like a trip through hell
>>
>>49771518
To be honest when I get around to running Storm King's Thunder I'm going to ask (but not require) that the players restrict themselves to Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, and maybe Warlock. STK seems like it thematically works better as a low-magic adventure than a high-magic one.

I am also totally stealing the idea from a few threads ago wherein the entire thing is actually going to be the players, decades later, sitting in an inn/tavern and telling the events of the campaign over drinks to an avid audience.
>>
File: sktwizardhat.jpg (63KB, 510x519px) Image search: [Google]
sktwizardhat.jpg
63KB, 510x519px
>>49771548
Really?
I respectfully disagree.
>>
First time playing this...why 6th level spell classes count as 1/2 caster level for multiclass purposes? shouldn't it be 2/3? and 4th level spell classes count as actually 1/2 caster level instead 1/4?
>>
>>49771370
>you can bet your ass theres gonna be entire elemental monk factions somewhere in the game
That sounds amazing.

But I guess I can understand your dislike for gnomes now.
>>
>>49770216
Wow a whopping free Int mod AC for a minute per short rest vs. permanent mage armour and a guaranteed cantrip+dash combo that imobilizes enemies unless they want to eat some thunder and you get of scoff free.
Oh and you can mage hand too.
>>
>>49771599
There are no sixth level spell classes.
>>
>>49771599
I don't know what you're trying to say.
Paladins and Rangers are half casters, they get half of their level's value when calculating spell slots when multiclassing things with the spellcasting feature.
EK and AT are one third.
>>
>>49771548
You sound like a horribly annoying DM to play with, through and through.
>>
>>49771599
The reason you get half is so when you multi class you don't get spell slots you aren't supposed to. If you are multiclassing and get a ton of spell slots as if you were a full caster, but actually a paladin, you would be almost perfectly stronger than the normal paladin.
>>
>>49764767
sorcerors are better than wizards in combat. wizards are better out of combat. idk where this narrative that theyre not as good comes from.
>>
>>49771299

"made me"/ "gave me" / "told me I needed to do it if I wanted to do Y". Its cool
>>
>>49770815
Don't ruin the rest of the party's fun if they like him. Settle any differences between the two of you peacefully.
>>
>>49764871
higher than 50% chance of tpk considering the other party probably is hanging out in their lair/home/hq and knows the terrain better, as well as likely having a higher degree of coordination for "flavor reasons" (being played by one person as opposed to four)
>>
>>49770353
>>49770330
So Bladelock truly is pointless
>>
>>49771653
The dude can set whatever restrictions he wants, he's the gm.

If he wants a low magic campaign he wants a low magic campaign.

Frankly I can understand why. I have a level 11 campaign running with a Wizard, Bard, Cleric and Druid and it'd be nice for them to solve an encounter/puzzle/situation in some way that didn't involve "I cast X"

Not fun trying to have them survive the underdark with no supplies when they can just create food and water and create 100% safe shelter with a fucking ritual spell
>>
>>49770250
>enhancements
Good luck with that
>>
>>49771860
How do we buff Bladelock into being worth its weight?
>>
>>49771875
A GM setting limitations willy nilly without discussing with players prior is annoying as a rule. No amount of rule 0 changes that ultimately shit is cooperative, it just reminds me of my first DM not being willing to tell me what was allowed when I showed potential characters (in the end it turned out it was personal bullshit, he disliked both my class and race picks).

Also it's the fucking underdark, if the enemy can't dispel a Leomund's tiny hut, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>49771965
Give them some defense
>>
>>49771970
But they are telling them what they're allowed though
>>
>>49771965
Give the bladelock two more invocation slots by level ten.
>>
>>49770815
Go full Elder Scrolls
>Contact an Evil deity
>Make a deal with deity to seduce the noble to evil
>This should work
>Investigate some false flags that you made on him
>Run him out of town/kill him
>Distribute inheritance
>>
>>49771998
Bladelocks get defense in medium and heavy armor when they gain their Pact? And maybe they can use Charisma for their Pact Weapon?
>>
What would you guys say is the best/most interesting Paladin Warlock

Ancients/Fey

Venegeance/Fiend

Devotion/Undying Light

What would be the best pact boons/invocations/spells to take
>>
>>49771965
Cantrip; Bonus Action Attack
Spell; Bonus Attack Attack

Is the easy answer but it steals from EK and it has to be unique.

Spending a warlock spell slot allows you to enchance your weapon's abilities for 1 minute. Choose 2 effects:

Gain 5 feet of reach.
D4 Necrotic.
Opportunity Attacks add Charisma Mod.
Allies within 5 feet gain Charisma Mod Necrotic damage.
Knock Prone save on hit.
>>
>>49771970
Anon do you know what a strawman is?
>>
>>49772148
They need to be SAD, so they need to be able to use Charisma for attack and damage.
>>
Anyone got any resources to learn more about the 5 FR Factions (Harpers, Zhentarim, Lord's Alliance, Emerald Enclave, Order of the Gauntlet)?
>>
>>49771970
>Also it's the fucking underdark, if the enemy can't dispel a Leomund's tiny hut, you're doing it wrong.

That would require

Some intelligent enemy actively looking for them, some intelligent enemy being able to detect the hut, and some intelligent enemy then dispelling the hut

Just saying one rest out of the blue "in the middle of the night your hut disappears and you're surrounded by Drow who surprise you roll initiative :DDD" isnt my style
>>
Would something like this be fun?

Nigel's Tiny Sack
Conjuration Cantrip
1 action
V, S
When you cast this spell, you produce a small sack, either in your hand or on the ground within 5 feet of you. The sack can hold 50 lbs worth of items. You can dismiss the sack any time as a free action. When you cast the spell again, the sack reappears with the items it had in it when it was dismissed.

The amount the sack can hold increases by 100 lbs at 5th, 11th, and 17th level.
>>
>>49772107
I've always enjoyed the feylock myself.
>>
>>49772003
Or instead just give them the fucking invocations they NEED to take for free as class features when they hit the appropriate level
>>
>>49772226
>free bag of holding
>no stated size limit

No.
>>
>>49772226
Please, please pick a better name
>>
>>49772226
It's fun if you enjoy giving a big middle finger to the Conjuration School starting feature, Bags of Holding, and also Leomund's Secret Chest spell, which is 4th level, costs at least 5050 gold, and has other limiting factors as well.
>>
>>49772224
Leomund's tiny hut doesn't make you invisible, it's not a rope trick.
Detect Magic is also a ritual.
>>
NEW THREAD >>49772284

NEW THREAD >>49772284

NEW THREAD >>49772284
>>
>>49772274
Leomund's Tiny Sack, obviously
>>
>>49772248
This, seriously. It wouldn't be hard to change the pact blade feature to read this.

>At Level 5, your skill with the blade improves. When you use the Attack action with your Pact Weapon you may attack twice instead of once.
>At level 12, you add your Charisma modifier as extra damage to damage rolls made with your Pact Weapon.

This goes a long way to solve problems all by itself. Giving them some better armor would help a lot too.
>>
>>49772226
very overpowered for a cantrip when compared to bags of holding and other extra-dimensional spaces. Look at Leomund's secure chest. That shit is level 4.
>>
>>49772347
Alright, so let's take the Bladelock, add those features and also add Medium Armor proficiency. I know nothing beats a tricked out eldritch blast, but are they at least one-up on Shillelagh Tomelocks in melee yet?
>>
>>49772493
They're more MAD, but at least they start beating out melee tomelock at level 5.
>>
>>49772107

Crown/Undying doesn't get you much, but I think it has a novel flavor.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.