[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 355
Thread images: 28

File: IMG_3735.jpg (61KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3735.jpg
61KB, 312x445px
Modern General
((((competitive general))))

Decklists:
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

>what decks do you play

>what's your favorite deck to play and why

>what's your least favorite deck to play against and why
>>
Anyone have any tips for playing against jund with a burn deck?
>>
File: IMG_3736.jpg (392KB, 1490x1531px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3736.jpg
392KB, 1490x1531px
These tiers are usage based, reflective of the current meta blah blah blah
>>
>>49761055
Wow avian company is tier 3 now? How quickly they fall.
>>
>>49761050
You have a good match up vs jund

Just keep up blockers when goyf gets too big

Game two bring in path because kalitas literally wins them the game if you can't deal with it, i had one bolt in hand and my buddy played kalitas at 6 life and I just scooped
>>
>>49761101
Someone better build a bant bird tribal coco deck now.
>>
Why is modern dying?

What do you guys think of this faget? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x32oub-9-ZY
>>
>>49761050
You generally have the advantage as long as they don't get too many finks/ooze/lifegain effects.

Board in Skullcracks/Paths/Helixes to try and out-value them, can be 50-50 at times post-game 1 but you can generally win game 1 unless you draw 13 lands like I did.
>>
I believe that you stop playing any format when you get bored of playing with and against all the decks.

I have a substantial amount of Modern decks but I am not bored of the format because I haven't played with all the decks yet. The people who are tired of Modern HAVE played with all the decks and quite frankly I don't care if they're bored because that is a ridiculous amount of Magic to own and to have played.

The problem with Modern (every format actually) isn't lack of diversity, it's that people CANNOT play all the decks because the format is fucking ridiculously expensive.
>>
>>49761268
>Why is modern dying?
It isn't. You think prices are so high because it's a dead format?
>>
>>49761268
>I would say over 90% of people disagreed (with not banning any cards in Modern)
I know this sounds petty, but anybody who fucking says that and obviously didn't take a poll beyond their own store and is just going off Internet rage and uses that baseless statistic to support their position - I'm just not going to listen to.

Whoever this Desolator Magic guy is, fuck him.
>>
>>49761580
Unfortunately I have friends who agree with him, they are Blue players

>>49761537
Prices do restrict the format quite a bit though.

Its only by luck that I was able to build two modern decks and even then one of them isn't technically 100% complete.
>>
>>49761580
Desolator is pretty much the definition of a That Guy or the angry fat neckbeard stereotype.
>>
Ok guys, gimmick combo deck coming up. Help me tune this into not sucking complete ass.

4 Darksteel Citadel
1 Inventors' Fair
8 Island
4 Tolaria West
4 Astral Cornucopia
2 Chalice of the Void
3 Coretapper
1 Cyclonic Rift
4 Dramatic Reversal
3 Everflowing Chalice
1 Grapeshot
4 Isochron Scepter
4 Mox Opal
4 Muddle the Mixture
3 Remand
2 Spellskite
1 Reshape
4 Temple Bell
3 Thirst for Knowledge
>>
>>49761995
I just read his Twitter, he is a grade-A retard.

It's one thing to be right and an asshole. He's just an asshole. Your friends have low standards for discourse.

And being a "blue" player doesn't mean anything good or bad about people. In fact, it's a ridiculous label to apply to players and you don't look that great for imply there's anything wrong with having a preference for any color whether it be blue or otherwise.
>>
>>49762096
Go test it against the meta. Return with results of good and poor matchups.
>>
>>49762117
Got it proxied up but I don't have any time for magic until sunday unfortunately.

Never played with Chalice of the Void in modern before, this deck can play it turn 1 fairly often, which decks does it fuck over the hardest?
Best part is that there are no 1 drops in the deck so it's completely onesided.
>>
>tfw trying to balance magic, a job, and fulltime school
>tfw sleep through two days bc of mental issues and trying to catch up
when I blow my brains out, you guys can have my decks
>>
>>49762257
Do you have jund
>>
>>49762133
It fucks a lot of deck. I play Chalice/Moon/Bridge in modern, and sometimes people cry (almost but not really). Grixis Delver is hurt pretty bad. Affinity if you are on the play, same for infect. Less good without moon (since some deck will bypass with Cavern). Deck with lots of cantrip. Also it can save you some turns against Eldrazi-tron if they kept ''that hand'' with ancient stirrings and expedition map. But don't expect Chalice to save you for 10 turns. Expect a removal or something big after turn 3-4. Basically it buys you 2-3 turns top. Enjoy.
>>
>>49762277
Nah but I've got a full set of SP Led's
>>
>>49762319
>2-3 turns
That's enough to combo out, great.
>>
>>49762359
If you play combo it can really help you against spell pierce/snare/flusterstorm. Depends on your meta really. Mine is so good for blood moon/bridge/chalice that I basically play random shit deck brew (even standard decks) with those 12 cards and finish positive. People are too greedy so they pay.
>>
>>49761055
>Grixis Delver in tier 3

I'm surprised. Deck is pretty solid and fun to play
>>
>>49762534
RUG for life
>>
>>49762329
Eric is that you
>>
>>49762586
nah sorry lad, it's zach
>>
>>49762588
We share a name

That means you should give me your cards when you die
>>
>>49762096

cute but not modern viable. you might win some games at kitchen table and you'll be proud of the one match in a month you take at any semi competitive FNM.

too much durdle, too high variance, not enough game plan, no alternate game plan, too many answers, combo requires too many cards. deck is dead on arrival.
>>
>>49762614
yeah sure, not like they're going to go to anyone else
>>
Travis woo strikes me as a legit crazy person but he's fun to watch
The video of him blending a black lotus still gets to me though
>>
>>49762633
Brown don't die. Please get through this. What's wrong?
>>
>>49764256
*bro
>>
>>49764256
lol it's just insomnia fucking with me big time, I can't sleep at night which means I sleep during the day except I'm in class or at work for 90% of the day so I don't get much sleep, and I sleep through the time I would use to do homework. I had a few days where I said fuck it and slept like 34 hours in 2 days and I just got behind on all these fucking foreign language literary analysis papers I have to do, which isn't bad except I'm learning another language on top of that and it's a tough one and remembering vocab is hard.
Not to mention I've actually run out of food and have been living on a bowl of oatmeal, a bowl of rice and a can of black beans a day for like the past month, making all of this 10x harder when you're starving all the fucking time
/blog

To make this post magic related, what do you guys think about the modern All Spells deck? It seems pretty jank but it wins on turn 4 a good amount of the time. I'd run it but I don't want to have to buy Vials for no reason
>>
Isochron scepter + Dramatic Reversal is a real thing but nobody's figured out what to do with it yet.
It's a really easy two mana infinite mana combo that can go off on turn 3, and one of the pieces can be multi-modular, in that it can be used for stuff outside of the combo.
I feel like you can make some real shit happen with it. Blue Sun's Zenith is a lethal on turn 3, you just need 3 cards, and you're already in the best color for card draw and filtering, and you have instant speed removal to keep your stuff up.
>>
>>49764651
Wait I just realized it says nonland, fuck I'm retarded
It's almost 430am here, I apologize
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-10-16-ub-faeries/

Thinking of taking this faeries list to a GPT, thoughts? Sideboard tactics?
>>
Tips for a B/G Infect deck vs a mono blue prison deck? Buddy of mine just made a prison deck and its frustrating getting all my creatures sent back to my hand before they have a chance to hit.
>>
>>49764822
I suppose it could still work if you were untapping 2 non-land mana sources
>>
File: 1437200490227.jpg (31KB, 449x311px) Image search: [Google]
1437200490227.jpg
31KB, 449x311px
>friend of mine out of 10 random boosters from 4 blocks pulled out 4 walkers from which one is foiled
>from 30+ boosters I bought only relevant and worth something card is foiled Inverter of Truths
>>
>>49760994
What is your opinion on people stealing packs from large retailers? Every time I hang with my MTG friends they have like 8-12 new boosters each time we hang out. One guy just pulled a chandra and verdurous gearhulk.. You guys ever swipe packs or do you consider it not worth the effort or consequences?
>>
>>49762099

>And being a "blue" player doesn't mean anything good or bad about people.

Blue has something special about it. Something that makes the biggest spergs/fedora tippers to play it.
>>
>>49766216
This. MonoBlue players are always the most annoying faggots in cardshops.
>>
>>49765796

>buying boosters

You should have just set your cash on fire.
>>
>>49762096

I'd run 4 Inventors' Fair. It's already shown up as a 4-of in a Legacy deck that merged MUD and STAX. The ability to land-tutor for artifact-heavy control decks is too good to pass up.
>>
>>49765819
Are you genuinely asking if we are ok with stealing? Those who grab packs are the non-tournament players, so just proxy your cards for free instead of risking getting caught for theft. Sure, you can find the random money rare once in a while, but it's not worth it (it's like stealing a lottery ticket).

You didn't need me to tell you this, right?
>>
>>49765819
>What is your opinion on people stealing packs from large retailers?
I think I should be able to shoot thieves on sight, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>49765819
>do you consider it not worth the effort or consequences?
I consider it immoral and illegal. What's wrong with you?
>>
>>49765757
It's infinite with gilded lotus
I suppose it'd make more sense to go off with more smaller rocks though
>>
>>49761199
Imagine if Derevi was legal
>>
>>49767356
Without the ability to repeatedly come back from the command zone derevi wouldn't be that strong
>>
>>49761050
side in paths and skullcracks hold back atarka's command then they try to gain life. try to get eidolon as early as possible
>>
>>49766338
Fuck this. It's the other players that get incredibly ass pained because you broke up their combo of stopped them from beating face
>>
>>49767056
>immoral
Lmao neck yourself weakling.
>>
File: 1475123607233.png (432KB, 477x600px) Image search: [Google]
1475123607233.png
432KB, 477x600px
>>49767944
>merle folk player gets pissy when I supreme verdict

serves him right for using blue wrong
>>
>>49765819
Stealing is cool. Don't steal from your local retailers but like a walmart? Sure.
>>
>>49761268
I can't believe people like this exist. How does he have so many subscribers?
>>
>>49769013
This. Why would anyone feel remorse for ripping off a big faceless corporation
>>
>>49765819
Stealing cards from a major retailer is basically akin to piracy, since they have no value beyond the IP
Stealing cards from an LGS is some real scummy shit though
>>
File: stirner.jpg (43KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
stirner.jpg
43KB, 800x1000px
>>49767056
>immoral
well spooked, my property
>>
>>49766216
The "something special" is almost certainly the memers who want to counterspell everything, but forgot that Remand is one of your best options.
Or more likely, don't even know Remand exists, but mainboard Ceremonious Rejection because they think it's cool.

I've seen the same with red players. Chucklefucks who insist on calling their brew "Red Deck Wins," except it's not burn and it's just a pile of middling creatures. But will endlessly repeat "Red Deck Wins" like it's a litany against losing.

The only archetype of players I've seen that I have no complaints about is WG Infect players. They genuinely don't give a fuck but still play this game.
>>
>>49769370
Gotta stick it to the man somehow.
>>
Goblin Guide reprint when?
>>
>>49769812
Modern Masters 2017 obviously :^)
>>
>>49769013
>>49769370
>>49769617
Seconded. Just don't mess with your LGS if you have a scene where you live.
>>
Scrapheap Scrounger is pretty good in Dredge so far. Not absurd, but good
>>
>>49761268
Desolator is a fucking moron, don't listen to his opinion.
>>
File: 1463788010009.jpg (173KB, 999x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1463788010009.jpg
173KB, 999x1300px
>>49769914
>tfw card order on the 31st but Scrounger will have a price spike by then
>>
>>49769914
I guess I should extrapolate on why it's good, otherwise I'm basically shitposting

I was running 3 of them in an otherwise normal dredge deck. Exiling a card never felt like a problem, there were usually neonates and sometimes Dredge targets were fine to hit too if I was running out of cards in the deck. The worst part about it was the mana cost, which wasn't terrible once I had some lands set up. Since you generally won't be using mana in midgame with the deck anyway, provided it gets that far, it was a good sink for your mana. On the battlefield it felt like a Prized Amalgan, but people were much less likely to want to hit it with removal.
Solid card, I'd maybe run it as a 2-of, just to pad out your creatures. Dredge has a lot of creatures it can get from the yard but this provides a bit more firepower, since it has 3 power.
>>
>>49769601
WG Infect?

Did you mean UG infect? Because that has to be the most complained about deck.
>>
>>49770251
Yes. WG infect.
Lost Leonins and Priests of Norns in some kind of wonky midrange deck that doesn't work.

If I said I didn't have complaints about UG infect I'd be shitposting.
>>
File: mb.jpg (55KB, 562x254px) Image search: [Google]
mb.jpg
55KB, 562x254px
my fellow M/tg/ players lately i have been triying this MB build. what you guys think.

Am not pretty sure about the Geth's Verdict I was thinking about changing with perhaps Victim of Night or Go for the Throat or even Dismember am not really sure. Also I tested Dark Confidant but again am not quite sure if I am happy with the Phyrexian Arena or Dark Confidant, the arena it's a little hard to kill but bob comes t2. I am very happy with the synergy between Collective Brutality,Bloodghast and Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet if you get 2 Bloodghast in your first hand and a Collective Brutality by t3 you can gain 2 life,discard some sorcery or instant or kill some opponents creature and 2 Bloodghast.t5 you can turn Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet into a 5/6. One of the major problems I have seen with this build is middle game sometimes I got stuck with just Bloodghast trying to kill my opponent after I discard almost all his hand. I believe some sort of tutor is needed(not too sure about Dimir House Guard or Beseech the Queen) or some awesome finish like good ol' Laquatus's Champion.I am thinking of putting some manlands perhaps a Mutavault or Dread Statuary.
Anyway let me think what you guys thinking about this build and my ideas any advice will be very appreciated.
>>
>>49766216
I hate this trope but it is also so goddamn true

I love playing control, it's the only way I can have fun in mtg. Nahiri making control somewhat relevant again was the best thing that happened in modern since sphinx rev was a playable card. And I would like to hope that I act like a decent person when playing but in no way could I ever deny that the vast majority of control players are completely up their own ass. On mtgs the control threads have to be the most flamewar-prone threads of the entire forum

I think it's because of the way control decks play out; you stop everything you are doing until you conpletely rise above their deck and you have everything and they have nothing. That is a great feeling and it's part of why I personally love playing control but I just KNOW that many control players can't get over themselves and keep in mind it's just a fucking cardgame and they are not in fact Lex Luthor
>>
>>49770492
There used to be some black devotion decks that looked really sweet. I'd honestly go one way or the other; either go all in on Gary and play 4x him 4x obliterator or go the rock route and splash green, dropping Gary. Either way I don't like Bloodghast as you want something that can block
>>
File: 8.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>49770492
>>
File: 63.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
63.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>49770602
>>
>>49770602
>>49770622
both interesting options and work well with kalitas , I will put it to test
>>
>>49770622
>>49770602
also thanks for the suggestions !!!!!
>>
>>49764909
It's OK but it's a FNM deck, you don't want to be trying to beat up on unfair decks with this. It sucks but the meta is just incredibly unfriendly to this kind of deck.
>>
>>49764909
Also, as a follow up to my other post, the sideboard is questionable. What are you boarding Languish in for?

Additionally I am not feeling the sword love in a format this artefact hostile, I wouldn't maindeck AV when you could use those three slots for more kill which'll get you past some of the early aggro swings (it's a sideboard card for out-1 for 1'ing Jund/k) and I don't think you want to be trying to draw those 1-ofs with such a lack of overall card draw. Also Vampiric Link is wank, I know it's supposed to be Burn tech but it's just not.
>>
>>49770141
2 or 3 is unreasonable. I would maybe add 1 alongside the 1-of Haunted Dead. However, while Haunted Dead provides utility with its recursion (by letting me discard cards I've dredged), Scrapheap Scrouger removes my ability to dredge at worst, and exiles Neonates at best.
>>
>>49769370
Because it takes money out of end of year bonuses for the workers there.
>>
>>49771532
And?
Fuck those wageslaves. They're supporting the monarchs.
>>
>>49771532
I don't care about them. I look out for me
>>
File: feelsbad.jpg (23KB, 385x385px) Image search: [Google]
feelsbad.jpg
23KB, 385x385px
>>49761055
>Mardu will never be competitive

I fucked with several builds before caving and switched to burn. Building D&T and Junk currently
>>
>>49769370
>Why would anyone feel remorse for ripping off a big faceless corporation
Because private property and capitalism, you fuck.
>>
>>49771832
Mardu Nahiri seems good other than against combo decks. You just kill everything they play. Although when I got matched against it I was playing Splendid Reclamation Valakut dredge.
>>
>>49761268
All he does is spout uninformed shit as if he's clued in. He is such a colossal idiot.

It might be funny if it were satire, but he's a legitimate moron.
>>
>>49762133
>Got it proxied up but I don't have any time for magic until sunday unfortunately.
So do you have every other deck in the meta proxied up too?

Why don't you just use cockatrice or something and jam out testing in a more efficient manner?
>>
>>49765796
>friend of mine out of 10 random boosters from 4 blocks pulled out 4 walkers from which one is foiled
Walkers? Planeswalkers?

You sound awfully casual. Do you even play Modern?
>>
>>49771603
>Fuck those wageslaves. They're supporting the monarchs.
Why not move to Cuba?
>>
>>49771971
People at my place refer to Planeswalkers as simply Walkers, even at tourneys.

And the shorter version is used in few bad puns in my language.
Like that bad joke about hardcasting Emrakul by tapping 15 forests.
>>
>>49772524
Well, unless he was opening packs of Worldwake, New Phyrexia, or Innistrad, I'm not sure what the excitement is.
>>
>>49771895
>Splendid Reclamation Valakut dredge.
that sounds dank as fuck, shame you didn't get a list
>>
On the topic of stealing booster;I worked at target for the better part of a decade, and the store itself doesn't own the boosters untill Point Of Sale. Before POS, the vendor (the individual) who stocks it responsible for all losses. And no Target AP didn't give a shit about stolen packs. I saw 4 different people work there because they kept getting fired for loss of product
>>
I'm trying to make a u/r madness, pls help me out. Note: I'm poor.

Creature
4x reckless scholar
3x incorrigible youths
2x wolf of devil's breach

Non creature
4x catalog
4x avacyn's judgment
4x just the wind
4x tormenting voice
4x fiery temper
4x geistblast
3x malevolent whispers
2x welcome to the fold
>>
>>49771532
We never got bonuses. Pull your head out of your ass
>>
>>49773874
Don't play UR madness as a budget deck
>>
>49773874

>UR
>scalding tarns
>poor

Does not compute. The deck you posted has 0 chance even against other standard decks. Frankly, it looks like a pile of cards made from draft rejects.
>>
>>49773874
play an all in goblins list with bushwhacker instead for budget
>>
File: LAjulOl.jpg (91KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
LAjulOl.jpg
91KB, 640x640px
How do we get mtg nerds to shower?
>>
>>49774432
I never have run into this. Figure out personal hygiene on your own you smelly boy
>>
>>49774432
make bars of soap look like the hot planeswalkers
you know the ones
>>
>>49774432
>that facial hair
It's ridiculous when people can't see they clearly can't grow a nice beard or moustache. I'd be embarrassed to sport this look
>>
>>49775122
Koth?
>>
>>49775257
AYO HOL UP
>>
Is it worth it to put Melira/Redcap combo to Golg sac deck as alt win con?

And yes I do run CoCo.
>>
>>49775541
Just play the real thing then. Abzan company
>>
>>49775541

Alt win conditions should only be put in decks when you are facing people who know your regular deck style of winning and you expect notorious amount of hate for it and you want a sideplan to win through the hate.

For example on a few GPT's i'd run Death's Shadow and Messenger's Speed in Ad Nauseam as a side win con because people started becoming aware of the deck and I could hit them for absurd amounts of damage that a regular Lightning Storm wouldn't do.
>>
>>49775677
Well, people I play with already hate me for my golg deck since with a bit of luck I can activate my Profane Prince on turn 4 and if they don't have Path in hand they're fucked.

But besides that, I asked that because lets be honest, for four mana there are better options to put into sac deck.
Hell, I prefer to run Savra or Creakwood Liege in his place, but maybe I'll give this combo a go and see how it works.
>>
>>49775823

Do it and test it out. Hell I put Greater Gargadon+Venser Shaper Savant as an alt win condition in my Protean Hulk combo deck so I could combo through a Rest in Peace and combo safely through Path to Exile in response to Viscera Seer's.
>>
Splendid Reclamation Dredge seems like it could be a real deck. It's got the strong dredge engine and the resilience of valakut, and can easily win on turn 4. It's strong against removal and has its own ways to deal with creatures, since lightning axe is a strong card in general. I think cathartic reunion gives it even more speed, and any creature removal from the opponent is just dead draws. You could even run past in flames in it to PiF + Noxious revival to protect against discard or other midrange shenanigans. I haven't played much with the deck but it feels very real.
>>
>>49776092
It dodges Grafdigger's Cage pretty well, too.

But you get fucked way harder by Extirpate than regular dredge.
>>
>>49776141
People aren't really running grave hate anymore though. Even with dredge as popular as it is, people aren't really willing to dedicate more than 1 or 2 cards to it. I seriously think this deck could run away with a tournament, the fact that it doesn't have to rely on creature combat to win and the fact that it has great sideboard options to grab sweepers, anti-artifact, anti-leyline, has access to bolts, revelry, smash to smithereens, gets to double dip on boom//bust value, makes it seem crazy decent. You even can draw with looting and cathartic to find reclamation, you have access to loam to grab valakuts, and you can run Past in Flames to make the combo even more consistent just makes me think this is some real shit. It's combining two really powerful engines in the format right now and just dodging so much hate it's ridiculous.
Maybe the fact that it hasn't caught on yet means that it has some auto-lose matchups, but it doesn't seem to have any more weakness than RG Breach has.
>>
>>49776213
PiF is way slower than Mystic Retrieval
>>
>>49776266
I didn't know the card existed, yeah that's leagues better
My point still stands, it's a good deck. It has so many sideboard options and is weak to so few common hate cards that it can just power through anything an enemy has.
>>
>>49776439
>I didn't know the card existed
It was in the version of the deck T Woo made. I'd assume it's kind of a staple to run one or two.

Anyway, if you think the deck is hot shit, build it and test it out.
>>
>>49776490
I will after I finish studying ancient jew history tbqh
>>
So this isn't a perfect list obviously and I haven't played a whole lot of games with it yet, but this is what I'm testing in paper and on modo currently.

3 Cathartic Reunion
4 Insolent Neonate
2 Explore
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Golgari Grave-Troll
1 Steam Vents
2 Blood Crypt
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
4 Faithless Looting
3 Cinder Glade
3 Conflagrate
2 Stomping Ground
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
6 Mountain
1 Forest
3 Mystic Retrieval
4 Splendid Reclamation
3 Life from the Loam
1 Vengeful Pharaoh
1 Sacred Foundry

4 Nature's Claim
3 Anger of the Gods
3 Thoughtseize
1 Conflagrate
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 Vengeful Pharaoh
2 Ancient Grudge

Sideboard should have engineered explosives instead of thoughtseize and the lands are probably not correct, but this will give a general idea to what the deck does.
>>
>>49776866
I ran 4 catahartic, cut the pharoah, cut explore, and I went in on lightning axes, and only 2 retreival
didn't add EE to the side but I should have.
>>
>>49776917
I think I'm going to try no explores because it feels like most of the time you want to be killing whatever they are playing. I also keep the vengeful's because there is a lot of infect, goyfs, and eldrazi at my local meta.
>>
>>49762560
Rug nigga$ where we at
>>
>>49776974
>infect
Isn't it too late at that point?
>>
>>49777037
It isn't if you run 4 lightning axe
>>
>>49777017
Right here bruh
Ready to $hred another fnm tomorrow
>>
In a freak accident, WotC has given you power over the bannings next time for modern. The one condition is they have to actually be powerful cards in powerful decks. What do you ban, if anything?
>>
>>49777658
Unban bloodbraid elf so Temur becomes a deck.
Ban gitaxian probe.
>>
>>49767378
You underestimate the tap/untap ability. I'm an edh player that specifically does not use the command zone ability due to the power level of my playgroup, and she's still op as hell.
>>
>>49777658
Blighted Agent, Arcbound Ravager, Liliana of the Veil, Eldrazi Temple, Wild Nacatl, Prized Amalgam, Valakut
triggered? :^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^))))))))))))))
>>
File: modern_needs_this.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
modern_needs_this.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>49777658
Ban nothing
Unban SFM
Unban Seething Song
Reprint Counterspell
Reprint Vindicate
>>
>>49777658
Ban bolt, goyf, arcbound ravager, emrakul the aeons torn, and change poison counter wincon to 15 outside of block constructed if I can.
>>
>>49777716
>Unban Seething Song
fuck no, storm can easily turn 2 kill with that shit
>>
>>49777716
I think as long as bolt remains unbanned, counterspell should be legal.
>>
>>49777756
>fuck no, storm can easily turn 2 kill with that shit
Maybe with the god hand and a ballsy pilot that wants to combo off blind. What enables strong T2 kills is Chrome Mox or Rite of Flame, which allow the storm player to play Ascension on turn 1.

Song enables reasonably consistent turn 3 kills and very consistent turn 4 kills, which is where a fragile combo deck needs to be to compete with aggro in Modern.
>>
>>49777691
That would not help temur. What fucking good is cascade into counters? It's not worth it to maybe hit AV.
>>
>>49777811
You can literally just run pyromancer's swath and run ritual, ritual, song, morphose, swath, grapeshot, and that's lethal against most decks, you don't need pyromancer's ascension
>>
>>49777851
That sounds sweet, it would be nice to have a viable storm deck in Modern
>>
>>49777859
The deck has only gotten better with pyretic ritual, they used to have rite of flame which enabled turn 1 kills but pyretic is still great. Maybe the deck wouldn't be broken with song back, but it'd probably be tier 1.
which is ok with me
>>
>playing on XMage
>see a match labeled TIER ONE
>tfw unrated
>bring in a tier X shitbrew
>a little way into game one, winning by a fair amount
>guy starts going on about how people can't read
>point out that he's losing
>asks why I'm here
>"to see you act like this"
>he spergs more as expected
Like pottery.
>>
>>49778263
what decks?
>>
>>49778263
Kek what were you playing and what was he playing?

From my experience, 90% of people that ask for Tier 1 unranked games are usually shittiers anyway that need to prove that their good with their 2000$ deck that they never actually play because their parents wont drive them to their local store

Even ranked games at like the 1400 rank are still full of retards, I had someone throw a game to me at 1500 because he let me recur my combo piece from the grave, then played reality smasher instead of the TKS that he got off stirrings the turn before and then I killed him with my combo the next turn.
>>
>>49778310
He was playing some sort of UW deck, the cards I saw were Snapcaster, two Wall of Omens, a Spell Quelled, and a Kitchen Finks. Pretty sure it isn't tier one. I pulled out that Mardu Superfriends brew that one anon posted a while back. The funniest part is that he didn't start sperging until I was clearly winning.
>>
>>49778263
He doesn't care about you winning you god damn child.
Some people want to play and practice against meta decks.
>>
>>49778343
That sounds like some variant of UW Control
>>
>>49778355
this
>want to test out and tune my sideboard
>people bring random brews that I've got nothing to side in against
sperging out is still retarded though
>>
>>49778355
You need to be ready for any deck, you god damn child. If you can't beat a pile like that, how do you think you'll win a tournament?
>>
>>49778343
>asks for Tier 1 decks only
>plays tier 2.5 UW Resto Angel.deck
>gets btfo by jank
>cries
Modern is the format for him.
>>
>>49778371
You can craft all sorts shitty decks which beat a single T1 deck easily but can't do anything to the rest of the meta. There's no use changing your deck and sideboard for a +10% chance to beat a deck you may never see again.
>>
>>49778401
Okay kiddo.
>>
>>49777658

Make innocent blood legal, make shardless agent and baleful strix legal.

Ban ancient stirrings and become immense.
>>
>tfw Warriors will never be a thing
>tfw Bloodsoaked Champion is just waiting for a spike but it just wont happen

I mean even Zombies is better and its not even a """"real"""" modern deck
>>
>>49777727
Wew
>>
>>49778401
This is correct. Don't waste another person's time by bringing in a shitbrew the player has never seen before and never will again.
>>
>>49776866
looks like it loses to RIP just like regular dredge, to cage slightly less, but also loses to moon

>>49777716
nice

>song
do breach decks become tier 1?

>>49777727
>Ban bolt
why would you want this?
>>
>>49778551
Don't expect to get serious people in an unrated game.
>>
>>49778450
Make BUG Great Again
>>
>>49778557
>do breach decks become tier 1?
I don't think they need the speed so much as they need consistency. With extra ramp they just become more fragile and weaker to interaction.

What it will help is Storm, which in turn forces decks like Infect and Burn to slow down and interact.
>>
>>49778586
Make ESPER great again. ESPER draw-go control needs more love WotC. Stop giving all your love to D&T and Hate Bears.
>>
>>49778590
Nah they'll just all have a race while interactive decks can't pack enough cards to beat everything.
>>
>checked tarmogoyfs price
Wait what the fuck? When did this happen
>>
>>49778602
They have said draw go is, and will remain a thing of the past.
>>
>>49778602
draw go is cancer
>>
>>49778590
>What it will help is Storm, which in turn forces decks like Infect and Burn to slow down and interact.
If song is unbanned and storm gets faster, all infect will do is rock a few more spell pierces and punish your for trying to go for song. The storm decks with TITI or ascension force infect to interact more because those decks can fuck with infect harder and are much less fragile than a traditional storm
>>
>>49778626
Nahiri (Jeskai / Mardu) Tapout decks are cancer.
Draw-Go is a valid style of hard lock control.
>>
>>49778658
Not in modern it isn't, fuck off
>>
>>49778658
Let me guess you prefer the simplicity of mono red burn naya zoo is way too complicated for you.
>>
>>49777658
Ban Become Immense
No unbannings

I think that restricting the options that aggro decks have will be enough for control decks to become viable again. I choose become immense because it allows infect and suicide zoo to assemble hands that are very difficult for decks without discard spells to beat. 1 mana to deal 6 (or 12) at instant speed is too much to deal with. If we were hearthstone and we could nerf the card to be a sorcery I would do that instead.

Next cycle, if control is still too weak, unban punishing fire. I don't know if this would be too much, for aggro decks to beat, but the control tools suck in modern and this would be a great new toy.
>>
>>49778789
I would love having Grove and P. Fire in modern

>Unban: Thopter Sword
>Response: OH NO YOU WRECK OUR GAME
>Actual Meta Response:
>Thopter Swords is less than 5% of the meta.
>>
>>49778813
Punishing Fire is a broken card that fits an already tier 1 deck though
>>
>>49778829
Yeah it goes well in jund but I think a rug punishing fire deck would have a good matchup against jund and it would let tron compete against aggro decks. Maybe that's a bad thing but I'd rather have a control deck dominant in modern than the aggro meta that it's been since the twin ban.
>>
>>49778789
It's not that control is weak, it's that combo is too inconsistent to race aggro. Control definitively has advantage over combo due to its disruptive nature, but without a natural showing of combo control has little to no advantage. If combo has more meta presence then so will control (in order to combat it).
>>
>>49778859
Punishing fire lets in a lot of degenerate shit though, you can throw it in basically anything and it's guaranteed recurring removal. It's good from storm to tron to delver to jund
>>
>>49778863
I want twin back too but I don't think it's ever gonna happen ;_;
>>
>>49778938
Imo Twin is degenerate because the shell is so minimal you end up with muddled archetypes
>>
>>49764314
I'm in Premed and have this same problem, except the running out of food part

I might just huff gasoline and call it a life desu
>>
>>49778991
People jam 4 nahiri and an emrakul into uwr control, kiki chord, and valakut and everyone's okay with it
>>
>>49761268
Found this guy's deck

Its literally some T4 homebrew deck that tries to be an infect deck with double strike damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_287021195&feature=iv&src_vid=vDXEj1Lyulk&v=2Te6vCKHoWA
>>
>>49774432
Please tell me that's a reflection on his beard and not lice
>>
>>49779015
Because it kinda sucks
>>
>>49760994
Seen as this is an infect themed modern general and Ive recently completed an infect deck; Can I get suggestions on this?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ragin-contagion-1/?cat=&sort=cost

Taking it to a local tournament
>>
>>49779181
>UG
>"First attempt as a Green Black Infect Deck"

you got me anon
>>
>>49760994
Could control/mill ever be competitive in modern? I feel like there's some crazy tech that we're missing. Sphinx's tutelage + painter?
>>
>>49778938
Twin will be unbanned eventually because it was never broken much like how fucking Wild Nacatl was banned for like 2 years

However they can't unban it anytime soon because it will make them look shitty at doing bans (which they are) so expect a twin unban in like 2 years
>>
>>49779181
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ragin-contagion-1/?cat=&sort=cost

You forgot your other two copies of Become Immense and Gitaxian Probe.
>>
I kinda don't want Twin back. I don't want to have to play Combust or Rending Volley anymore.
>>
>>49779231
I just updated some cards from a list I made 3 years ago with new cards.

Infect is braindead easy
>>
>>49779827
I agree, SFM unban when. Everyone needs to pack Krosan Grip now.
>>
File: 1472711249543.gif (2MB, 327x244px) Image search: [Google]
1472711249543.gif
2MB, 327x244px
>>49779243
Mill is not competitive and Ive tried with the easier infinite mill with Mindcrank and Guidmage. it's just too situational and slow. Infect is on a 10 counter timer, Burn is on a 20 life timer, Mill is on a 53 card timer and its only efficient cards are stupidly overpriced

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cranial-flush/
>>
File: 121212.jpg (5MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
121212.jpg
5MB, 2560x1600px
Mind Sculptor unban when?
>>
>>49780123

It could have been unbanned since late 2013 and still have made an impact.

Give us back twin, pod, mind sculptor. Perhaps even BBE. Let the format sit. Don't hit infect because reddit complains.
>>
>>49779243
Tutelage says nonland.
>>
>>49780145
I heard that ancestral vision unban was at least in part, because of the twin ban.
>>
>>49780123
I'd like to know Wizard's justification for why Jace tms is still banned
>>
File: confusion.man.jpg (330KB, 900x615px) Image search: [Google]
confusion.man.jpg
330KB, 900x615px
>browsing ebay for shits and giggles
>some guy selling sealed Worldwake booster boxes for 570 a piece

Am I retarded or is that a great price?
>>
>>49780323
It's about $100 less than anywhere else. Pretty good.

But your reason for buying determines if it's worth it or not.
>>
I have a small question about a combo I want to do.

My friends and I play very casual modern, so we typically run things we like to have fun with, and games don't usually get intense until turn 5/6 and we play multi so people are typically passive until things are built anyway.

Let's say I have Gisa and Geralf, Rooftop Storm, and Ashes of the Fallen on the board and I use "zombie" for Ashes, of course. I assume I'd only be able to summon one from my graveyard because of G&G's wording, right?

Also with that, let's say I use their effect to bring out a creature that allows me to return another creature to the battlefield, and I cast a new G&G. I can then use the new one's ability since the old one was destroyed, right? Thanks for any clarifications.
>>
>>49781243
Ask the rules thread
>>
>>49781243
Correct on both accounts. G&G is worded for one creature a turn.

A new G&G will not know your previous copy brought a creature back, so you can cast another something from the graveyard. Blinking would also have the same effect.
>>
>>49781528
Gotcha. Thanks a ton!
>>
>>49780123
Never pls
>>
>>49778905

I don't think it really does, it costs 5 mana to kill a nacatl and you kill a goblin guide on 2 after it gets a swing in, it's a dead card vs noncreature decks, and you can't actually recur it until you draw a second card. I handily believe people are overestimating how powerful it will be. Infect won't give a fuck about it, for example. you can't kill goyfs, you can't kill primetime, the only things it will kill are things that don't pass the bolt test anyways, which were already dying to removal and being played only sporadically as it is. Who do you plan on getting lots of mileage out of it against? Elves? Sure. Sideboard. Fish? Better have that land or else their dudes are out of range very quickly.

The list goes on, the card is overestimated period
>>
>>49782667
Yeah that's true, fair point.
>>
File: FiligreeAngel.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
FiligreeAngel.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>I only play casually with friends as opposed to tournaments
Thinking about building a Blue/White "Angels and Artifacts" deck.
The idea is using the Angels/Blue cards to keep the artifacts safe (hexproof/indestructible).
Will most likely involve Vehicles and other Kaladesh artifacts (with more to come as I find them from the local stores).
Any specific cards I should really look to add? Any other recommendations?
>>
>>49783259
Please read the thread and then go away
>>
>>49783259
good luck making this work in modern
>>
>>49783276
How should I read it? Is this a top-to-bottom/left-to-right situation or should I just check out the cliff notes?

>>49783312
It most likely won't be easy, thanks. Just an idea.
>>
>>49783383
You should fuck off with your obvious trolling. Ebin
>>
What is it about modern that attracts casuals? Never had this problem in the legacy threads
>>
Is Golgari Thug good as a 1-of in Dredge? The applications are extremely limited (getting back Narcomoeba on top for free play via dredge, getting back Neonate on top for discard next turn), but the ability to use it is promising. Maybe swap out one Stinkweed?
>>
>>49783870
>don't want to keep up with Standard
>next logical step is Modern, since it will never rotate and "Legacy is too expensive" (which is true)

Before Modern, casuals were making "Legacy decks".
>>
>>49783259

Angels and artifacts have very little or no synergy. If you're dead set on trying this for funsies: platinum angel, avacyn. I can't recommend any particular artifacts to go with this because they don't exist.
>>
>>49784192
Narcomoeba is the only actual application, you never care about neonate (or hard-drawing anything period) once your dredge engine turns over. And narcomoeba hardly ever dies except to pyroclasm, who wastes a card on a free creature?

Basically golgari thug is bad because even those limited applications are worse than just dredging more for more free dudes.
>>
>>49784939
That's what my gut was telling me, glad to hear it
>>
>>49784974
It's better in legacy when it's easier to get your engine going and you have a lot more 1 mana draw spells which means you need a dredger in your opening hand or you mull. You also have ichorid which needs black creatures and thug is a great target for that as well. You can also hardcast it later to get another moeba on top of your library if you want to use another therapy or need to dread return something.
In modern, none of these applications exist so it's not really that good
>>
>>49785759
Yeah legacy dredge sounds like a monster, thanks for the info
>>
>>49784248
Wouldn't the next logical step be MTGO since everything is cheaper there?
>>
>>49779834
Please play Birds of Paradise instead of the Skyshroud Rangers. I can't blame you for not wanting to buy Noble Hierarchs, but there are going to be a lot of games where your ability to put a land on the field will do nothing because you won't have a third land in your hand. If you can't get birds then get some shitty 1 drop mana dork like Elvish Mystics.

You need to play the full playset of Gitaxian Probes. It lets you play a 56 card deck, and it fuels delve for Become Immense. I would swap out your Groundswells for them because you don't have enough fetches to make those worth it. Groundswell is also not seeing much play right now.

I think your 3 nature's claims should be a dismember, a twisted image, and a Viridian Corrupter. This is because claim only deals with Spellskite and dismember can deal with Spellskite and Melira. I like the Viridian Corrupter because you don't have Spellskites (etb isn't a may), and you don't have the full playset of Inkmoth Nexus to give you 12 infect dudes. I personally like having 13 dudes, so I play one main. It also gives you a way to kill a chalice on 1.

That equipment is shit please don't play it. I would switch it for a third Become Immense.

I would move the Wild Defiance to the sideboard unless you expect to play against a lot of Jund/Burn. It's just slow when you are trying to be as fast as possible because you are the fastest deck in the format. I would put a
>>
>>49788038
>I would put a
A-are you okay?
>>
>>49788038
You should also add that there's 0 reason to not play 4 mutagenic and 4 BE
maybe not 4 BE since he doesn't have too many fetches but at least 3
>>
File: ViridianCorrupter.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
ViridianCorrupter.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>>49779181
>>49788038
continued

>>49788064
Ran out of space

...>>49788103
a mutagenic growth in instead.

I would cut 3 islands for fetches, forests, or the new fastlands (Botanical Sanctum). You just don't need blue that often. You need a fourth Inkmoth Nexus and a second Pendelhaven, but I assume you are working on getting those along with the fetches.

I would cut a Spell Pierce or something else to get another land. This may not be correct as I don't know how the deck runs on 19 with only 4 fetches.
>>
File: stf163_werewolves2.png (739KB, 620x631px) Image search: [Google]
stf163_werewolves2.png
739KB, 620x631px
hey guys,
you got any ideas for a nice eldrazi werewolf deck?
i am having a hard time constructing something decent because immerwolf skill shits on my own eldrazi werewolves preventing them from transforming, should i ditch the immerwolves?
their +1/+1 is a pain to lose in the deck.
The other problem is that Moonmist doesn't transform eldrazi werewolves, just the human ones so all i can do with it is just better version of fog.
As of other buffs i have 4x Full Moon's Rise and 2x howlpack resurgence.
Which cards would you recommend?

>inb4 werewolves are shit

i want werewolf deck regardless of how good/bad it is, i just want to make it the best it can be.
>>
>>49784248

Hell, man I still remember my "legacy" mono black shadow deck from 10 years ago, those were the times...
>>
>>49788419
>furry casuals
back to r e d d i t
>>
>>49788573
fucking memesperg
>>
>>49773199
>that sounds dank as fuck, shame you didn't get a list

Check out Travis Woo's channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq6xdxxYito
>>
>>49786572

As someone who is more familiar with Legacy Dredge, I have no clue how Modern Dredge even functions. With no Bridge or Dread Return, why are you playing with the Nacomoebas? Is it purely to trigger Amalgam? What is the gameplan for the Modern version of the deck?
>>
>>49788771
Same as legacy's except slower and weaker
>>
>>49788771
Your gameplan is to put a bunch of amalgams and bloodghasts into the battlefield for free and slap your opponent with them, with conflagrate for reach, removal.
>>
>>49788836

Got it, thanks. Seems like it'd be torturously slow though, just making incremental hits with Bloodghast and Amalgams which don't even have evasion, compared to the explosive One Turn Kill of making a bunch of zombies with bridge and then dread returning Flame Kin for the kill. I guess I'm surprised it's doing well in Modern, I thought there was some trick it had that I wasn't seeing.
>>
>>49788913
Nah, it's just that the deck can swarm the board really quickly and nobody plays sweepers that makes the deck good
The format is also slower than legacy and has 0 real counterspells so it can get away with what it does
>>
>>49779023
Those are tears, from a particularly potent buttcrack. I'm surprised you haven't seen this set of images before.
>>
>>49787976

Nowadays it's xmage.
>>
>>49788913
Thats only how manaless dredge works, you mong. Real dregde is much more powerful and resilient
>>
>>49761055
wadda fuck

dredge is a deck now? and rg scapeshift is T1 even though niggas laughed at me for buying it and said "just build scapeshift, faggot"

lawd. 4 months in isolation and shit sure changes
>>
>>49789693
rg scapeshift is through the breach/primeval titan + valakut and a single copy of scapeshift
Dredge top 8's a good amount
>>
So how is Energy faring in the modern format?
>>
>>49789766
it isn't
>>
>>49788771
>why are you playing with the Nacomoebas? Is it purely to trigger Amalgam?

As someone who's played more Legacy than Modern (but am transitioning to Modern since FLGS is no longer able to do Legacy Nights), yes it is.

The Modern Dredge gameplan is a lot weaker and is only playable because of Prized Amalgam, so that's your main beater. You use Conflagrate for reach as well as to take out blockers.
>>
>>49790203
>but am transitioning to Modern since FLGS is no longer able to do Legacy Nights
I'm so sorry for your loss.
>>
>>49790225
>I'm so sorry for your loss.
Yeah it sucks, but they just didn't get enough people and it would barely ever fire so there'd be the same 4-6 people. It was fun, but just not profitable for the store.

Luckily I have most of the pieces for Modern Grixis Delver as well as Modern Dredge so it's not a total loss, and from what I understand both decks are decently well positioned in the modern metagame.

Btw casting Serum Visions after being used to Brainstorm and Preordain feels as bad as you can imagine
>>
>>49790518
alternatively, putting together a legacy deck and casting brainstorm/ponder after being used to semen visions in modern feels like the sex orgasm

the first time I cast brainstorm eot, cracked a fetch, then cast another brainstorm and found the card I needed so I could untap and win I think I actually creamed my pants
>>
>>49790571
>alternatively, putting together a legacy deck and casting brainstorm/ponder after being used to semen visions in modern feels like the sex orgasm

>the first time I cast brainstorm eot, cracked a fetch, then cast another brainstorm and found the card I needed so I could untap and win I think I actually creamed my pants

Oh man I can only imagine how that would feel after being used to serum (semen) visions

Kinda jelly desu, after a while you just get used to Brainstorming.
On that note, I still haven't played Vintage but playing Ancestral Recall must feel like being on coke and then cumming (this is an interesting convo)

So on topic,

I've been running Spirebluff Canal in Grixis Delver and it feels pretty sweet. I'm dropping the Darkslick Shores and the Sulfur Falls for 2 of them. Anyone else been liking the new Fastlands?
>>
Why is the modern format bad and why are you idiots still supporting it?
>>
>>49790977

well we already bought in so we dont really lose anything by playing it

sorry youre too poor to play with us
>>
>>49791029

Sorry you're too poor to play vintage.
>>
>>49791927
>tfw riffle shuffle my vintage deck
>single sleeved
heh
>>
Posting possibly one of the most fun decks I've ever built and played with. I will never get to play it IRL because am poor law school fag. It is competitive against aggro decks, dredge, and burn. It is a dog to RG Tron and Ad Nauseum. Everyone else you can beat, though combos in general are tough. This is very untuned, could be a lot better, and I haven't gotten to test the SB all that much because people generally ragequit after the first game. Playing against Infect is great with maindeck bridges and skites. Fair and filigree make burn game hell

4 Verdurous Gearhulk
3 Glint-Nest Crane
1 Arcbound Ravager
2 Spellskite
4 Etherium Sculptor
3 Foundry Inspector
1 Psychosis Crawler
3 Master of Etherium
2 Wurmcoil Engine
3 Filigree Familiar
3 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Pithing Needle
2 Mox Opal
4 Greater Good
3 Inventors' Fair
2 Academy Ruins
4 Darksteel Citadel
1 Sequestered Stash
1 Dread Statuary
2 Forest
4 Breeding Pool
2 Yavimaya Coast
2 Temple of Mystery
1 Phyrexia's Core
1 Misty Rainforest

SB
2 Chalice of the Void
1 Spellskite
2 Pithing Needle
3 Dismember
4 Relic of Progenitus
1 Master of Etherium
2 Psychosis Crawler

Basically you stall early game and if you manage to draw a Greater Good with a big guy, you become Enchantress and can't lose. Jundfags can't even Abrupt Decay you, all they have is Maelstrom Pulse (you want to Pithing Needle Liliana). You win by either swinging with huge guys or Psychosis Crawler. If Crawler exiled and Bridge in play, tutor for Ravager and sac Bridges. If you have Greater Good + a Crawler + a big guy the game is usually over. Otherwise you grind out with engines, though game generally ends pretty quick.

There is a lot of redundancy in the deck which could probably be cut (I used to have 1x Loam in it but dropped it), but I'm not good at honing decks.

If you love to durdle I STRONGLY recommend this deck. Will answer questions tonight.
>>
>>49791961
>UG Artifact Midrange
This looks dank as fuck
brb firing up XMage
>>
File: 1449676022248.jpg (34KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1449676022248.jpg
34KB, 512x384px
As an independent observer I have read through your thread and rate it as follows:
>6/10
Some of you actually know about magic. Some of you don't. Overall, not as bad as I was expecting, keep up the good work.
>>
>>49792148
Of the 90 posters in this thread, I estimate about 13 of them know about magic, from my experience in the general
>>
>>49792148
Thanks man, I do my best.
>>
File: 1447816059411.gif (1MB, 205x223px) Image search: [Google]
1447816059411.gif
1MB, 205x223px
>tfw only a few more cards to go until Jund is built.
>>
File: 1466682984434.gif (204KB, 600x538px) Image search: [Google]
1466682984434.gif
204KB, 600x538px
>>49792325
>last cards are goyfs and lilis
>>
>>49792358
True, saving up for them though won't be too much longer.
>>
>>49792325
>tfw realize I don't care about reselling my cards and take them out of the double sleeve because I like how they feel more and start riffle shuffling
it feels dirty
>>
>>49792387
I have no idea how you live with that. I want to feverishly get rid of every card I don't play with,
>>
>>49792325
Have fun with Tron.
>>
>>49792450
I'm sitting on like a grand of sideboard cards and other staples, just too lazy to sell them.
I like the slight bend in the cards though, it really makes the deck feel personal to me. It's not like I can't afford to replace a card if it gets too destroyed, and my friends have been playing the same deck single sleeved and riffle shuffling like madmen for years and their cards are just a bit bent, it's not like the card is torn.
The individual wear on the cards just does something to my soul man, sounds so fucking retarded to say but I'm not ashamed
>>
>>49792493
That's fine, it's waning in popularity anyway.

>>49792505
I just hate feeling like I'm sitting on wasted money.
>>
>>49762257
Dibs
>>
>>49762257
I'm the same but pile on a moderate social life and some other hobbies and you have me. I just tend to not sleep and make furious love to caffeine.

Stay strong brother.
>>
I have a UG Infect deck that I use as my 2nd modern deck, but I haven't been playing too much modern lately.

Should I just sell it now?
>>
>>49762257

I have fulltime job and nighttime school I know that feel brother.
>>
>>49792387
It's not dirty at all. It's good discipline.

Only buy product/cards you're going to play with. Then you don't have to worry about excess product or stressing about the condition of your product. I think the effort and time spent on double sleeves, shipping, looking up prices, and carrying around and trading cards are a huge waste of time.

This is Modern; not Standard. Your purchases are good forever. If something truly is worthless, you can just give it away. And if you're truly not using a valuable card anymore you can certainly trade but the number of good tradable cards you have collecting dust should not exceed like, 40 actual cards.
>>
>>49792611
>This is Modern; not Standard. Your purchases are good forever.
Tell that to Twin players
And Bloom players
And Pod players
And Eggs players
>>
>>49792611
It's mostly a mental thing. I've got plenty of expensive cards that I'm sitting on from decks I don't play anymore and there's no good way for me to sell them, so I keep everything super locked up in semi-secure storage. It feels good getting personal with my deck, especially since I've played pretty much the same list for a year now.

>>49792634
>And Eggs players
I have 0 sympathy
Besides, that deck was like 150$ tops
>>
anyone have that begginers infographic? really need it for a friend.
the one that explains the cards properties (like deathtouch, first strike, etc) and the colors they primarely appear (like tremple, green). thank you.
>>
>>49792738
go to the fucking casual thread, don't ask this shit here

I'm seriously fucking sick of this shit in this thread
>>
>>49792634
What did those decks actually lose? $50 worth of cards each? Maybe $100? The other pieces survive in other decks. Twin pieces can go into Delver decks, Bloom goes to Tron, Pod just replaced the Pods with Chord, and Eggs is still a deck with KCI.

I know cards are stupid expensive but I feel it's a stupid idea to chase those decks if you're paying the grossly inflated prices for those key cards (like $30 Eye of Ugins for Eldrazi). Does that suck for people entering Modern? Yes. It's too bad that you have to be on GP or Starcity results 24/7 to buy shit before it jumps, but that's the way it is.

>>49792651
There really is no good way to sell them. Like, obviously, the smart thing to do is to convert them to cash because they no longer have play utility and throw that money into a savings account. But at the same time, I think it's just money you've already burnt and so long as you treat it that way there's nothing wrong just letting it sit there either.

The way I look at my Magic Constructed end-game is that I'm going to own some number of decks. And every purchase I make should contribute to a deck. I'm not going to ever own decks AND some collection of cards that don't go into decks. If I have loose cards they're cards that will get swapped in and out of sideboards as the metagame adjusts. If I play Limited, that's just $15+ for a good time and those cards are mostly worthless.

I feel very strongly about just owning decks and really nothing else. I've seen people with boxes upon boxes of cards that really don't do anything. I mean they're all disorganized so you can't even play with them conveniently.
>>
>>49792774
>>49792774
Who pissed in your lucky charms this morning?

You bes fix that attitude boy or I'll get my whoopin' stick. I swear you Anons would bitch if your ice cream was cold.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2432x2419px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2432x2419px
Timefag here. I've tested out a few changes, and although it's too early to be definitive, they seem great so far.

I've taken out a Walk the Aeons for a second Cryptic Command, and it feels nice. I don't notice the loss of a time spell, but I've noticed Cryptic in my hand a tad more often than it usually is, which I like.

The other change I'm testing is trimming down the playset of Howling Mine. I intially wanted to trim 1 for a Cryptic, but with the above changes I decided to experiment with 2 Mines, 1 Ancestral and 1 miniJace.
I was set on going down to 3 Mines, but since Ancestral and Jace both fill a similar role I figured 2 Mines may be okay.

Also the mineless version is going nicely as well, but it's like 80% tuned. A whole bunch of Ancestrals, Snappys, Jaces, and two Day's Undoing, with not a single mine effect.
>>
Anyone going to Milwaukee want to give feedback on this Infect board? Trying to cover as much of the meta as I can, and trying to deal with the mirror which I'm not as comfortable with as I should be
I've got

2x Viridian Corrupter
3x Ceremonious Rejection
1x Grafdigger's Cage
2x Kitchen Finks
2x Dispel
2x Nature's Claim
1x Spellskite
1x Gut Shot
1x Unfilled slot

I'm shaky on the Spellskite and Claims since I've got the 2 dispel, but those don't deal with Abrupt Decay. Might cut a Corrupter. I went with 3 Rejection because I expect to see a lot of EE and Spellskites, and a good amount of Eldrazi. It's also good against Affinity which is a plus. I think the card is an incredibly strong meta pick and covers pretty much all the hate that I expect. Only 1 cage because Dredge isn't that amazing against Infect and I can race it anyway. 2 Dispel to deal with rogue deck and the mirror. Covers a lot of stuff. 1 Skite to deal with the mirror and anything that's running a bunch of removal. 1 Gut Shot to also deal with the mirror, seems like something that will catch people off guard in the mirror when I'm tapped out. No idea what to put in the last slot. I might take out a Corrupter, keep the Claims, and run 2 Wild Defiance.
>>
>>49792894
I really like a Wild Defiance or two in there. it's powerful but not really a silver bullet, so maybe just one. 2 Viridian seems great but idk, I feel like 4 artifact/enchant destroy is a good number though
>>
>>49793035
I was thinking a single Defiance too. I figured that 4 artifact removal was too much because rejection already covers it, but Claim cover's enchantments too. My thinking is that that enchantments aren't played enough to warrant running that much hate, and the hate I expect isn't stuff that can't be used at instant speed. Maybe I'll keep them in to deal with the rogue Bogles, but I feel like I'd rather have a Twisted Image or a Spell Pierce in that slot. Image is great at dealing with Skite and other Hierarchs and the cycling is nice. The board just feels like it's missing something or I'm going to heavy on something. I don't really think Rejection can be cut because it just covers so damn much.
>>
>>49793093
I can see what you mean, one corrupter is probably still enough considering the biggest hate card is spellskite, which can be twisted image'd. That card is really good at the moment, vs Eldrazi (heirarchs and birds) and Affinity too.

Pithing Needle is always handy
>>
>>49793204
Yeah maybe 2 corrupter is too much.

So I'm looking at -1 Corrupter, -1 Claim, +1 Wild Defiance, +1 Twisted Image (I think I'm only running 1 main)
Still have 1 slot left, probably just gonna throw in a pierce
>>
>>49789766
Energy is interesting, but it needs more than just one block to make it work.
It needs to be getting a few new cards every release, same as Prowess does. And it needs more value in general. There just aren't any options right now that can actually get useful. The closest it comes is with Die Young Harnessed Lightning, because those cards basically say "Pay 2 mana and X energy, deal X damage to target creature"
That could be a 2 drop -6/-6.
The wonder of Energy is that it's an alternative resource to mana, same way the graveyard is an alternative resource for delve cards.

Except WotC didn't give us anything good that, as a bonus, gave us Energy. Meaning you're running suboptimal cards to power more suboptimal cards.
Die Young, for example, is irrelevant when Grasp of Darkness exists. Marginally more difficult to cast, for a guarantee of -4/-4 instead of a gamble for >= -4/-4.
And Grasp isn't even a good card.

Energy will be a dead mechanic without support, and a relevant mechanic in 2 years with support. Maybe.
I wouldn't speculate for cards on it.
>>
File: maid.jpg (45KB, 352x395px) Image search: [Google]
maid.jpg
45KB, 352x395px
let me get this straight, you guys here don't make any original decks to play in modern for fun but you just construct the cancer decks out of some pre-set list that everyone and their mother already has so you can just win?

>inb4 i only have fun when i win

i am truly sorry if you can't derive fun out of the game itself.
>>
>>49769013
Bingo
>>
>>49765819
>casually talking about stealing
degeneracy, bet you are nigger too
>>
>>49789766

Standard energy deck looks like a shitty infect.
>>
Did vehicles have success in modern? Or has nobody buikd them there yet?
>>
>>49795062
Vehicles are more or less equipment. And nobody wants to play equipment as-is and the vehicles are nowhere near the power level of some of the equipment we have.
>>
>>49794575

I have more fun playing tournaments instead of playing kitchentable.
>>
>>49795356
>I have more fun playing tournaments
guess you are excused then
>>
>>49794575
Why not both?

95%+ of the decks I play start from top 8 data, but there's the odd idea here and there. I took a brew to some modern PPTQs recently and got top 8 in 2 out of 3 (each had about 50 people).

But if you think I'm going to spend all my time brewing purely for the sake of special snowflake status confirmation, think again.
>>
>>49794575
Why would I waste the time, money and energy on trying to make a format breaking deck (pro-tip; there aren't any), when I can take a tried and true deck with some minor tweaks based on meta? This ain't kitchen table with my buddies where I get drunk and try to pull some jank 4 card combo. Modern is a competitive format for competitive decks, not your "it has fetches and shocks. That makes it competitive" shitbrew
>>
>>49795794
>innovation and doing something new is a special snowflake syndrome

wew lad
>>
>>49794575

Modern is too expensive to homebrew effectively. We're talking about decks that take $1000 to construct a manabase. This pushes people to consider tried and true deck archetypes.

Blame Wizards, this is what they've pushed the game to by not keeping Modern cheap and affordable.
>>
>>49794575
>the only way you are allowed to enjoy the game is MY personal way

anti competitive players are as annoying as tryhards
>>
>>49791961

>Basically you stall early game
>No early game cards
>Sequestered stash over academy ruins when you're in blue
>Etherium sculptors
>MoE when your other artifacts cost a bazillion each
>3 ensnaring bridge in midrange when you normally have cards and your deck has no hellbent synergy
>expecting to hard cast your wurmcoils

This is a pile my dude
>"People generally ragequit after the first game"
I highly doubt that. You probably say "TESTING COMPETITIVE MODERN" in your game title.
>>
>>49796112

It's this. A single manabase plus the chase rares/mythics in a deck generally cost around $800. I would love to play Jeskai Nahiri but it was cost over a grand to get all the cards. I play infect and could maybe transition into something like Bant Eldrazi but it would cost around $500. I have lots of deck ideas and would love to play them but WotC are jews are have to eke out every drop of value.

If prices were more reasonable you'd probably see more diversity. Heck, see the prevalence of Eldrazi stompy in eternal mostly because it's cheap and competitive.

Magic is too expensive to be able to both play competitively and build for fun unless you're just fucking around with proxies with your friends.
>>
>>49796555
>Magic is too expensive to be able to both play competitively and build for fun unless you're just fucking around with proxies with your friends.

I've never had so much fun with magic since I downloaded xmage. It's made me a far, far better deckbuilder.
>>
>>49796631

Agreed. While it's far from perfect, it's leagues better from Wizard's "official" program which doesn't even update with new sets when they come out.
>>
>>49796631
Xmage is great, I highly recommend it to people new to the game. The fact that it's a free MODO far outweighs the problems it has. Plus the people in their discord are pretty good at the game too and love testing new or weird cards.
>>
Since we have a lot of spicy opinions here, how about we state our qualifications. I'm expecting to be on the lower end of the accolades here.

>playing since alara
>took a break from avacyn restored through bfz
>one modern GP attendance so far
>made day 2
>finished 10-5, got a single pro point, ranked ~250/2000+

You guys have all been competing at GPs too right?
>>
>>49797035

No, because Im a leaf and I don't have the money to spend money on cards to spend money on a flight to spend money on a GP
>>
>>49797035
I don't even have money to compete at local tournaments, so theres no way that I could go to GPs
>>
>>49797035
>Played since Kamigawa
>Haven't played in GP's because I can never afford to travel to them, but the people at my store are people that have qualified for the Pro Tour multiple times and people that have top 8'd GPs multiple times, they're the best in my already pretty decent state.
>Generally can hold my own against the people I play with and the last time I got to play with them was a year ago before I went to school and I've only gotten better.
Not much but it's what I've got. Gonna see how well I match up in Milwaukee
>>
>>49794575
Lmao neck yourself you child
>>
>>49796112
>We're talking about decks that take $1000 to construct a manabase
>>49796555
>A single manabase plus the chase rares/mythics in a deck generally cost around $800

you are still talking about competitive tournament level, i am talking about casual in your LGS. Unless your priority is shitting on other people and making them hate the game and then jerking off at home to the thought of that.

>inb4 muh MTG is for real tru players not some casual normie scumfags.
>>
>>49797382
This is some low level bait my dude
>>
>>49797376
>Lmao neck yourself you child
ebin response neckbeard faggot
>>
>>49797382
Except my LGS isn't for casual players at all, it's mostly people that play tournaments and prepare for them.
>>
>>49797396
what about it is bait? that i don't have to spend 1000$ like a fag and i still win with people with my shit 15$ deck?
>>
>>49797412
>Except my LGS isn't for casual players at all, it's mostly people that play tournaments and prepare for them.

No one ever tried to push idea of "chill gaming friday" or something like that?
Or other neckbeards in the LGS would riot?
>>
>>49797382
Why would I play casual modern? I'd play EDH for the greater card pool. When the power level is kept in check by people intentionally playing shit decks there's no reason to play with a restricted card pool.
>>
>>49797457
>Why would I play casual modern?
to not waste money on shitty moneygrab standard and not spend billions for vintage and legacy and still have a shred of fun.
EDH is good for fun too though so you got a point for that.
What hurts me most is just people aren't even trying anymore. They just go to tappedout or some other site, open top decks and just get those cards to make exactly the same thing. If you just want to play in tournaments it's fine but all the other times doing it like that misses whole point of magic to try new things and make cool theme/gimmick decks that really make you enjoy the game.
People who make top tier decks and NOT play in tournaments are those who can't take a single loss without sperging out like a faggot and ruining things for every other person
>>
>>49797516
Mate you're the one sperging out because people are enjoying magic in a way you don't approve of. Just go make your shitbrews and leave everyone else alone to do what they enjoy, including the people in the competitive modern thread.
>>
>>49797430
No, because there's no market for it. The people that play there aren't casuals, and nobody wants to play any casual formats.
However, the third sunday a month is a Legacy Afternoon, with a 20$ entry fee and starts at 11 am, and that's where all the oldfags come and play Legacy, which is super fucking chill.
>>
>>49797565
>However, the third sunday a month is a Legacy Afternoon, with a 20$ entry fee and starts at 11 am, and that's where all the oldfags come and play Legacy, which is super fucking chill.
well at least you got that, sounds nice
>>
>>49797557
okay then, i really thought i could make a difference
>>
>>49797413
You come across as very immature. Why are you so damn ass pained because I play differently from you?
>>
> people talking highly of xmage
> go check it out
> "includes ruling for almost all cards starting with Eventide"
> 19 sets before eventide are modern legal

People use this?!
>>
>>49797382

There's no casuals at my lgs. The most "casual" event you can hope to see is a commander Wednesday.
>>
>>49797632
There is no modern playable card that you can't play. Every tier 1-3 deck still has all its parts
>>
>>49797653
Commander is pretty casual anon.
If people played commander seriously no one would have fun except the guy playing to actually win and doing so turn 4 with Azami lady of scrolls.
>>
>>49797628
>You come across as very immature
nice.

I just can't understand that people prefer to play exactly the same top decks and spend hundreds of $ on them.
>>
>>49797668
Can I play wilt leaf liege and kataki, wars wage?
>>
>>49797705
Yup
The only excluded cards I've found are like random jank rares from future sight. You can play pretty much everything, I've never had it be a problem
>>
>>49797516
>you spend money
>you auto win

Idiots still believe this
>>
>>49797723
This pleases anon.
>>
>>49797701
Then go be a poorfag elsewhere
>>
>>49797740
>poorfag
ahh the typical bait, too bad it's wrong.
Made me reply 2/6
>>
>>49797737
Just don't expect to use Muragandan Petroglyphs
>>
>>49797413
Post this $15 decklist. I wanna see
>>
>>49797733
>Idiots still believe this
and you are all here posting about 1000$ manabase
>>
>>49797632
So Affinity can't be played at all then?
>>
>>49797871
>Spend money and automatically win
Retards still believe this
>>
>>49797632
I know that Xmage doesn't have EVERY card ever made in it, but I'm sure that it has at least 99% of all Modern-legal cards.

You might have a few small issues with EDH though
>>
>>49797871
Irrelevant. Also that's an insane exaggeration
You hoard your money son? It's only purpose is to be spent
>>
>>49797871
>$1000 manabase

What deck has this?
>>
>>49797413
Post deck then
If you don't then you're just baiting
>>
>>49798052
ask those dudes
>>49796555
>>49796112
>>
>>49798052
idk mate, jund is the most expensive deck in the format and it's manabase is maybe 400$
>>
>>49798052
That anon's being facetious

Different format but Legacy Lands has like a $3000+ manabase
>>
>>49798510
If Wizards would reprint cards like Goys, Snapcasters or Cryptics and stuff like Bajou we wouldn't have this problem.

But they're too retarded for that.
>>
>>49795949
>innovation and doing something new is a special snowflake syndrome
Thing is, I've been there. I started in 1995 when the Internet wasn't even much of a thing. So what did I do? I dreamed up brews... that I didn't test, and because I was new to the game, they didn't really work. And so I run into casuals all the time that tell me about their brew that they're really proud of, and I look at it and see the flaws... I see that it's not going to stand up to the meta and I try to offer constructive criticism and they get hostile. They call me a netdecker and try to claim some high ground of being more creative. But I've made EFFECTIVE brews--ones that actually work.

So, yeah, I tend to shit on casuals and their janky brews because I get tired of them labeling me as some drone, who is enjoying the game wrong, when they're the ones who are new and bad at the game. They're the ones arguing from a position of inexperience. And when they initiate hostility on those grounds, they're the ones who can fuck right off.
>>
>>49798639
Brutal
>>
>>49797035
Respect. Here's what I've got:

>GP day 2 once
>I've beat two hall of famers
>3rd at a small PTQ some years ago
>3rd at a decent sized (150 man) PTQ exactly two years ago
>Played in 3 PPTQs this year, top 8'd two of them

I still need to get better, but I'm not newfag terrible either.
>>
>>49798639
If you're poor, then why do you play magic?
I have two competetive modern decks (tron and affinity) but that doesn't stop me from trying to make new stuff and to buy cards for that.

It just shows you're probably a retard that couldn't brew a decent deck for the life of him without tapped out.

Also >>49798681

>samefagging your own posts to prove you're a retard

Cute
>>
File: file.png (27KB, 907x222px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
27KB, 907x222px
>>49798760
>>
File: collectibles.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
collectibles.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>49798760
>If you're poor, then why do you play magic?
Uh... I wouldn't call myself poor. I can play any deck I want in any format. See pic related? Those are mine. And I've got plenty more.

>I have two competetive modern decks (tron and affinity) but that doesn't stop me from trying to make new stuff and to buy cards for that.
Again, I've made brews that compete. This is also me >>49798715 I top 8'd those two PPTQs with a brew.

>It just shows you're probably a retard that couldn't brew a decent deck for the life of him without tapped out.
I once made a brew that I was planning to use at a GP... somebody else had the same idea and got top 8 at an earlier GP with it. Then it was all over the fucking GP I went to. I often play a lot of netdecks, sure--but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of thinking outside the box.

>samefagging your own posts to prove you're a retard
Nope.
>>
>>49798760
>but that doesn't stop me from trying to make new stuff and to buy cards for that.
and that's what i argued about before, that anon is trying new stuff.
God bless you anon
>>
>>49798832
i know magic since my childhood but for the love of shit i never got around to know what are those comet symbols on card. Maybe because my country never was much into mtg early.
Explain pls. The bottom row cards
>>
>>49798866
>Explain pls. The bottom row cards
Those are 8th edition test prints.
>>
i will just leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ZhAlYjkoc
>>
>>49798866
Nice dub dubs, and from what I remember it was just a way to show that they were "premium". I also think it used to be part of the old WoTC symbol.

>>49798832
Mirin your collection mate, especially those test print cards.
>>
>>49798931
>tfw i am 4 years older than MTG and i still learn
>>
>>49777658
Inkmoth Nexus, Become Imense, Lil of the veil
Reprint counter spell
Reprint crypt rats (I want mono black rats to be better)
>>
>>49780237
a 4 mana card that can solo win the game isn't fair.
>>
>>49780237
We already have Veil Lilly. No point making a blue equivalent.
>>
>>49777658
Become Immense (Probably anything with Delve really)

Simian Spirit Guide

Griselbrand

Hive Mind
>>
>>49799676
It's these posts that make me so happy you Idiots don't have any say
>>
>>49799975
You asked for my opinion and I gave it to you

Don't be a faget about it.
Thread posts: 355
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.