[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make a knight interesting. I want to play a knight,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 20

File: 1475314452611.jpg (815KB, 1196x946px) Image search: [Google]
1475314452611.jpg
815KB, 1196x946px
How do you make a knight interesting.
I want to play a knight, but I can't think of a quirk or trait that properly spices up a sword and shield toting character without it being some stupid 'for honour', or super edgy.
>>
>>49750161
Knight is all about honor, otherwise they wouldn't be knights. That's what separates them from a dude with a sword and shield.
>>
You could always go with a Don Quixote type...
>>
>>49750190
Or be like Edward, the Black Prince, and be fighting in disguise, without regard for your name.
>>
Put the knight in society and all the expectations that comes with it and how does your knight personally feel about those expectations? Which chivalrous values he feels are intrinsically important and which ones he would only follow by the letter rather than the spirit?

Would he have preferred to be a monk or a manager of his father's estate or is he a hedge knight? What's the deal with his siblings? Did his younger brother have to become a monk because your father couldn't afford to outfit more than one knight or divide the estate any further? Has your sister been married to a douchebag to consolidate an alliance or did she run off with the first bard that played at your hearth?

Does he enjoy tournaments and feasts? Does he liken them to war? Or has he seen war and seen the months of travelling in the mud only to take some crappy city and later on have you brothers in arms die of infection or dysentery?
A knight is a human being with his own personal experiences and values, responsibilities and desires and those should make him unique and once you've answered these questions they should inform you into what kind of knight you're building.
>>
>>49750181
No, knights are all about nobility. That's what separates them from dude with a sword.

All of chivalry and shit is late middle ages invention, previous to that a knight was just a warrior that was granted or inherited a knight title.
And after that there was a lot of knights not giving a fuck about honour
>>
>>49750381
This. Be a lords unlanded brat, while your older brother trains to inherit, your spending his cash getting boozed, bitches and beating up any two bit thug that gets between you and said boozy bitches.
>>
>>49750161
Could be your father had to disown you. To avoid war, he was forced to marry a noble lady of a neigbouring barony, and make an heir with her.
Now you are a Questing Knight, with a huge chip on your shoulder and a mean streak, you revel in bloodshed and war, but struggle to be true to your Oaths and religion.
>>
I played a bard knight once. He was all the usual Knight but he also wrote tales of his exploits and told poetry.

It was pretty cool because towards the end I was the only player who wasn't some kind of immortal and he was about 60 years old and an old grizzled man. I had a series of famous romance novels and a guide of knightly valor that was used by paladin orders around the world.
>>
>>49750161
Just make him a wannabee historian who suffers from borderline hero worship and feels like if he THINKs he can do something then he CAN thats how it goes in the stories after all
or make him try and fail to throw his title around to get laid but have him spill his spaghetti everywhere every time a quest to slay his virginity
>>
>>49750161
Can you really not think of an interesting hooman bean? You know his quirk or trait doesn't have to literally be some sort of Knight based stereotype or pun or some shit.

use ur brain idiot
>>
>>49750161
The answer is always Rance. Adjust the rape as fits your table.
>>
you are a knight, you have a responsibility to protect your subjects. the king has granted you the privilege to run this land, and to collect a tithe from these people, and in return you protect them. You are above them, you are better than them, you have blue blood and righteous authority, you are the only thing standing between those poor peasants, and death by bandits. These mighty gifts bestowed upon you, are to protect those weaker and less able than you, especially since they lack nobility, and thus are incapable of surviving on their own

you are a knight, you must be worthy of such a title
>>
>>49750161
>How do you make a knight interesting.

The knight is a human being, with all that implies. The better question should be, "what motives should a knight have to be interesting?"

Maybe he's questing to earn the favor of a big-tittied nymph, or maybe he's seeking a cure for a spirit-searing disease that threatens to condemn him to oblivion.
>>
>>49750161
Two ideas, based on Dark Souls player archetypes.

Hyper-competive douchebag. Total GIT GUD SCRUB type.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzHuCDDzP-E

Total bro, who there to help people and engage in JOLLY COOPERATION.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksdpSBLTXHA
>>
>>49750161
Maybe one of your goals might be to sow some bastards around? The heir and the spare that you might legitimately have do not stop you from having some aces up your sleeve.
>>
>>49750644
I like this one

>>49750161
It's pretty superficial, but have him specialize in a particular form of combat or unique weapon. Yeah, its pretty special snowflake but it may spice up combat as well as how other knights see him. I've always wanted to play a Shield Knight.
>>
>>49752261
>in a particular form of combat
Dynamic Entry Knight?
>>
>>49750161
He carries a plush toy everywhere, which reminds him of his childhood and childhood ideals.
>>
>>49750161
You could just be a regular dude with a sword and a shield.

Nobody ever tried that
>>
>>49750161

>The knight is not actually a Knight, just a petty crook who assumed a dead man's identity to escape the law and atone for his or her crimes.
>>
File: IMG_0237.jpg (154KB, 1153x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0237.jpg
154KB, 1153x1500px
>people hating on knights

Fuck you cucks, if it weren't for knightly exploits in the Matter of Britain and Matter of France there would be no romantic era medievalism and with no medievalism there would be no Ivanhoe and with no Ivanhoe there would be no Tolkien and with no Tolkien there would be no Dungeons and Dragons and with no Dungeon and Dragons there would be no fucking /tg/

Fuck all of you, knights are cool
>>
>>49754018
Blackwall please.
>>
>>49754413

>implying Basedwall wasn't the best part of that boring, mediocre game
>>
>>49754436
He was. Still, it isn't much of an achievement to be the best part when the game itself is so bad.
>>
>>49753980
nobody was ever a "Regular guy" who thought that magic and elves were stupid and gay and ust wanted to be a regular guy with maybe a spear but not a good spear and no magic or monsters just a regular guy

GOD WHY CAN'T RPGS MAKE THAT BALANCED WITH GANDALF AND A BALROG
>>
>>49754464

I dunno. Blackwell's personality and story were good enough to make me feel he would have stood out even on a better game.
>>
File: 1425447463972.jpg (81KB, 677x650px) Image search: [Google]
1425447463972.jpg
81KB, 677x650px
You're a nobleman's son who's only been knighted recently. You think you're the paragon of knightlihood and chivalry, when in actual fact you're a spoiled ponce who thinks his title gives him ultimate moral authority when all it's done is made your ego even bigger than it was before.

It has room for character-development, at least.
>>
>>49754018
Or what about
>The knight is not actually a Knight
>just a pretty cook
>>
File: 1437265237365.png (109KB, 358x292px) Image search: [Google]
1437265237365.png
109KB, 358x292px
>>49750161
>He can't roleplay a knight.
There are so many ways to roleplay one. You could play it perfectly straight and still have a lot of variation to choose from
>The son of a great knight living to seek up to his father's name
>The son of a great villain seeking to redeem his family
>A gloryhound who eventually learned virtue is its own reward
>A virtuous, drilled-from-childhood knight who slowly learns how corrupted the world is and strays away from his knightly virtues
>A virtuous, drilled-from-childhood knight who slowly learns how corrupted the world is and takes his knightly virtue to dangerous extremes
>The daughter of a great knight who became a knight herself because her father always wanted a son
>The son of a great ladyknight who becomes a ladyknight(male) because his mother always wanted a daughter

You can parody it
>The "brave" and "noble" knight who somehow manages to take glory for everything
>The genuinely brave and noble knight who always ends up messing shit up precisely of how brave and noble he is
>The brave and noble knight who's secretly incredibly pragmatic and not above torture
>The brave and noble knight who has faced the hottest fires and the most desperate battles, but becomes a blushing pile of goo when confronted with the opposite sex and is 2pure4thisworld

Above all, being a knight means fulfilling a certain role in society. You are the crème de la crème of the warrior class, as well as lower nobility. You need to find a balancing act between the two (or entirely abandon one for the other with all the social consequences it brings (being called either a brute or a coward)). It is a very defining part of your personality, but it is not your personality. Chivalry is a thing, but not every knight is noble. Not every knight is brave. Not every knight enjoys fighting.

tl;dr: By Saint George, Saint Maurice, Saint Martin, Saint Louis and all the other chivalrous saints, how horrifying!
>>
>>49754536
Or what about
>the knight who pretends to be a petty crook who pretends to be a dead knight
>>
File: hV4ms7W[1].jpg (201KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
hV4ms7W[1].jpg
201KB, 800x800px
>>49754609
>the dead knight who pretends to be a crook who pretends to be an alive knight
>>
>>49754648
>the dead knight, son of a great villain seeking to redeem his family, who pretends to be a crook, gloryhound who eventually learned virtue is its own reward, who pretends to be an alive, virtuous, drilled-from-childhood knight who slowly learns how corrupted the world is and takes his knightly virtue to dangerous extremes
>>
File: 1465581824765.jpg (138KB, 645x360px) Image search: [Google]
1465581824765.jpg
138KB, 645x360px
>>49750161
You need to find a witch. For reasons.
>>
File: 200px-Don-Quixote-Step-3.jpg (23KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Don-Quixote-Step-3.jpg
23KB, 200x252px
I've always wanted to play a knight in D&D, but the best you can really do at character creation is build someone who's aspiring to be a knight. A squire or something. Starting play with plate armor and a horse is pretty much impossible, regardless of edition, as far as I'm aware.
>>
File: IMG_0239.jpg (78KB, 498x691px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0239.jpg
78KB, 498x691px
>>49754773
Cavalier???
>>
>>49750181
>>49750381
>Knight is all about honor, otherwise they wouldn't be knights. That's what separates them from a dude with a sword and shield.
>No, knights are all about nobility. That's what separates them from dude with a sword.
No, knights are all about a set of armor, a horse and a weapon. That's (including upkeep) what seperates them from dudes who cannot afford more than an old sword.
>>
>>49755328
>No, knights are all about a set of armor, a horse and a weapon.
A man at arms has those too. It's nobility that separates men at arms and knights.
>>
>>49753980
That's wrong though. There are plenty contrarians, especially here.
>>
File: 1475174808990.jpg (293KB, 1024x822px) Image search: [Google]
1475174808990.jpg
293KB, 1024x822px
Dunk rode slowly along the fence. The viewing stand was crowded with knights. “M’lords,” he called to them, “do none of you remember Ser Arlan of Pennytree? I was his squire. We served many of you. Ate at your tables and slept in your halls.” He saw Manfred Dondarrion seated in the highest tier. “Ser Arlan took a wound in your lord father’s service.” The knight said something to the lady beside him, paying no heed. Dunk was forced to move on. “Lord Lannister, Ser Arlan unhorsed you once in tourney.” The Grey Lion examined his gloved hands, studiedly refusing to raise his eyes. “He was a good man, and he taught me how to be a knight. Not only sword and lance, but honor. A knight defends the innocent, he said. That’s all I did. I need one more knight to fight beside me. One, that’s all. Lord Caron? Lord Swann?” Lord Swann laughed softly as Lord Caron whispered in his ear. Dunk reined up before Ser Otho Bracken, lowering his voice. “Ser Otho, all know you for a great champion. Join us, I beg you. In the names of the old gods and the new. My cause is just.”
“That may be,” said the Brute of Bracken, who had at least the grace to reply, “but it is your cause, not mine. I know you not, boy.”
Heartsick, Dunk wheeled Thunder and raced back and forth before the tiers of pale cold men. Despair made him shout. “ARE THERE NO TRUE KNIGHTS AMONG YOU?”

Only silence answered.
>>
File: 1475148179553.jpg (131KB, 462x587px) Image search: [Google]
1475148179553.jpg
131KB, 462x587px
>>49755578
Across the field, Prince Aerion laughed. “The dragon is not mocked,” he called out. Then came a voice. “I will take Ser Duncan’s side.”

A black stallion emerged from out of the river mists, a black knight on his back. Dunk saw the dragon shield, and the red enamel crest upon his helm with its three roaring heads. The Young Prince. Gods be good, it is truly him?

Lord Ashford made the same mistake. “Prince Valarr?”

“No.” The black knight lifted the visor of his helm. “I did not think to enter the lists at Ashford, my lord, so I brought no armor. My son was good enough to lend me his.” Prince Baelor smiled almost sadly. The accusers were thrown into confusion, Dunk could see. Prince Maekar spurred his mount forward.

“Brother, have you taken leave of your senses?” He pointed a mailed finger at Dunk. “This man attacked my son.”

“This man protected the weak, as every true knight must,” replied Prince Baelor. “Let the gods determine if he was right or wrong.” He gave a tug on his reins, turned Valarr’s huge black destrier, and trotted to the south end of the field.
>>
File: 1475181988879.jpg (406KB, 700x964px) Image search: [Google]
1475181988879.jpg
406KB, 700x964px
>>49755592
The viewing stand had already begun to fill, the lords and ladies clutching their cloaks tight about them against the morning chill. Smallfolk were drifting toward the field as well, and hundreds of them already stood along the fence. So many come to see me die, thought Dunk bitterly, but he wronged them. A few steps farther on, a woman called out, “Good fortune to you.” An old man stepped up to take his hand and said, “May the gods give you strength, ser.” Then a begging brother in a tattered brown robe said a blessing on his sword, and a maid kissed his cheek. They are for me. “Why?” he asked Pate. “What am I to them?”

“A knight who remembered his vows,” the smith said.
>>
>>49755344
If he has that, he will have land. He is nobility.
>>
>>49755623
A Knight of The Seven Kingdoms is so damn good.
>>
>>49750161
I enjoyed my jaded stubborn bastard knight
I always used to bully the wizard in my party with my minotaur pal
>>
>>49754018
>not being the squire donning your dead knights armor and using his name
>>
>>49755328
Nah not really
>>
File: 1435581168489.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1435581168489.gif
1MB, 640x360px
>>49758354
Sounds like an amazing concept for a character
>A brave knight, considered the last hope of the realm against the forces of darkness, falls in battle
>His less skilled but intensely loyal and incredibly gutsy squire manages to salvage his lord's body, burn the corpse (or give it an anonymous funeral) and claims his arms and armor for himself
>The enemy, once overjoyed with the death of the great hero, soon find him standing at the head of a human army once again
>The humans, inspired by the return of their hero, rally and win a decisive victory over the forces of darkness
>On both sides confusion reigns, especially because humans and demons alike saw the great hero clearly sustain wounds he could not have survived
>These rumors expand into a legend about an immortal knight
>When he's too old to fulfill the role of the hero himself, the squire passes on his arms and armor to a suitable heir he trusts
>And so, the legend of the Immortal Knight continues
>A dead man has become an undying symbol
>>
>>49758354

Also works well.

I personally prefer someone who knows dick all about knight and nobleman culture trying to take that mantle. I find that person a bit more interesting than someone who does know that stuff but is just really green.
>>
>>49750161
Make your knight a ranger or some other class that isn't Fighter or Paladin, you'll find an interesting character just in figuring out how to justify that a character of that class is dressing up in heavy armour and using melee weapons.
>>
>>49750161
Make him a grizzly nasty alcoholic of a shamed former officer, full of self-loathing and lack of pride. Someone one bad day away from being a full on slaver/bandit. Characterized by loose morality and insatiable appetites for booze, food, women, and the thrills of danger.
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 219x230px
>>49758508

>Someone one bad day away from being a full on slaver/bandit.
>>
>>49758563
One bad day is supposed to be a metaphorical event in the possible future, anon, not an actual day in your backstory.
>>
>>49758563
Ayy lmao

I hadn't considered him before, but he'd definitely be a fun knight to roleplay. I think he could do with a little less inexhaustible love for his mistress though.

Actually I think I'll create a character based on him sometime.
>>
>>49758593

But I'd rather play post-exile Jorah than pre-exile.

He's much more interesting that way.
>>
>>49758593
I mean, he could still be one bad day away from turning to that life. All it takes is shaming or offending his mistress or needing to do something brutal to do what he thinks she needs done.

>>49758604
Same. Jorah would be an absolute drag without his exile.
>>
>>49758630

>All it takes is shaming or offending his mistress

But that fucking happened as well.
>>
>>49758657
If he had pissed her off more gravely or in a different way, it could have happened. I don't think the actual character is one bad day away, but rather a similar character in similar circumstances.
>>
>>49758692

>got kicked out and fell into a life of drinking and whoring
>kidnapped someone under the impression it was his way back into her good graces
>>
>>49755344
It's hard to generalize, but yes, at minimum you had the most petty possible noble title, and the equipment/horse. Whether you had this because of having enough land to support this, or you were supplied by your liege, that varied. The poorest knights in some areas could be fairly poor compared to those in others.

Certain parts of the ethos that became defined as chivalry as we know it now in time always had more practical components. The earliest discernible values were towards loyalty, physical bravery, and also piety, and courtesy. You could skate on a lot of things if you were loyal and brave, although really, you also needed to not be a total dickbag, because it was a highly political context.

These values were drilled into the young men of European nobility from a very early age. They lived and breathed it. The idea was to produce well socialized, loyal fighting men.

In our day and age an interesting analogy would be Boy Scouting. It gets touted as self improvement, but many governments and militaries also appreciate it for it's original purpose of producing well prepared potential recruits and/or officers.

Men of principal and loyalty to their country and companions, men who were physically fit, mentally awake, morally straight, trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Things you would want in soldiers.

As history progressed of course, the Knight fell out of favor and the courtly part of the gentlemanly thing was more in play. Still, it's not as if it ever quite fell out of favor to educate wealthy young men in a certain way that has certain advantages in producing an officer. It's just that it's a possibility not an inevitability they will fight now, and they are definitely officers in the modern sense, not the "fuck everything elite shock cavalry" of old. Although a lot of them command tanks, helicopters, and planes, which do have a decisive role.
>>
>>49758725
Damn, you're right.
>>
>>49758457
I am not the real immortal knight, I inherited the title from a man named Westley as you will inherit it from me. It is the name that counts, the spikey armor helps
>>
>>49750161
Be totally sincere. But also rationally self interested and idiosyncratic in that you have professional courtesy for other gentlemen, and do not unduly abuse women or peasants, but you also running a Business Son, and that business is fame, glory, and money. Especially money.

You are totally within your rights to loot, ransom, and engage in ruthless chevauchee against enemies of your Liege, and/or enemies that do not reasonably surrender when offered the chance, and instead choose "the hard way" of a siege, a siege that has a good chance of getting you and your men hurt or killed, whether by the hard fight, or camp sickness.

Unless you have to, you are completely out to knock other knights the fuck out, capture them, and then ransom back them, their equipment, and the fucking horse. The armor and horse especially are eye watering in their expense. You might also be kind of a dick and keep them.

Or maybe you aren't good enough to safely subdue an enemy, maybe he's a bastard. You kill him. An honorable death. You get his stuff.

You also get a cut of whatever your men, if any, happen upon. This is only fair. You pay to those above you.

Like I said, a business. A man can make a lot of money in a good war.

If you capture a major lord or royalty, you hit the jackpot.

And it's all fair. They will be attempting the same and are in any event, enemies of your Liege.
>>
File: knight_sword.jpg (31KB, 640x801px) Image search: [Google]
knight_sword.jpg
31KB, 640x801px
In my setting, there haven't been any kings for hundreds of years (most governments have turned toward magocracy). Knightly traditions have persisted, however with no kings to serve, knights are essentially just mercenaries whose services come with sort of a guarantee-of-legitimacy (chivalry). Knighthood, and the right to the title 'Sir' or 'Lady' is granted by private accrediting institutions (knight's colleges).
There are very few remaining knightly orders, so most knights freelance, and the market is highly competitive. As a result, knights are all about branding. Every knight tries to stand out by having some unique, often stupid gimmick that they incorporate into their title, costume and fighting style.
Off the top of my head, I've used The Rock Knight (wears rock armor), The Wood Knight (wood armor), The Worm Knight (crawling techniques), The Blind Knight (is blind), The Tumbleweed Knight (adept at tumbling), The Wizard Knight (actually a wizard), and The Sword Knight (pictured, his schtick is that he's an animated sword).
>>
File: 009796.jpg (44KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
009796.jpg
44KB, 600x399px
>>49750161

Just play them straight - I've almost never seen knights actually get played in a game anymore since Paladins seem to be the more attractive option to most. You have a horse; the horse is your friend, and will save your life. Invest in jousting, as it's actually pretty good at beating back stronger melee encounters if you've got a good lance on hand. If you can fight on horseback, ALWAYS FIGHT ON HORSEBACK.
>>
there is only one thing that separates a knight from any mere man.
Only one thing.

a helmet that covers the face.
>>
>>49759067

>You have a horse

Not if you start at level 1 you fucking don't.

Unless you play a cavalier I suppose.
>>
>>49759091

I'm assuming that by knight he meant cavalier - a level 1 fighter-knight is hardly a knight.
>>
>>49750190
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow
>>
>>49758457
Don Rodrigo Diaz, El Cid Campeador, had his own corpse tied to his horse and mounted to look like he was still alive to inspire his men against the invading Berber horde.
>>
>>49750161
>can't make a knight interesting
I wonder what it is like to be so retarded you have no imagination whatsoever.
>>
>>49750644
Sounds more human than a lot of other characters. l like it
>>
>>49750161
Don't do sword and shield. Be a real knight, go lance+horse.
>>
File: Jolly Explosion.png (1MB, 1400x787px) Image search: [Google]
Jolly Explosion.png
1MB, 1400x787px
>>49753811
Fuck yes
>>
>>49758875
So a jolly good fellow but at the same time BITCHES NEED GET PAID. I can approve.
>>
>>49754708
Alva pls go. Not everyone made charisma their highest stat.
>>
>>49750161
Heide knights were fucking cool.

>>49754018
This picture always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

>>49754708
I was happy for that fucker. Alva deserved better. Damn you, 3.
>>
Loyalty rather than honor, ie to a friend or a cause, no matter how "dishonorable" that affiliation may be
>>
The best way to make a knight interesting is to play with what this very thread has ended up talking about, what the most famous knight in literature is all about (Don Quixote): the tension between the mythic, idealised knight and the reality. I have a recurring character in my short fiction who is a knight so poor at the chronological start of his story he only has a broken sword and half a suit of plate armour and a neglected, possibly confiscated noble title. He has a simple, very idealistic worldview of good and evil and honourable conduct, and he's a tremendously strong and capable fighter; but the salient fact is that he's hamming it up on purpose, deliberately embracing that sham-ideal of the humble wandering knight in order to escape from what he found, in the empire's service, was the reality: that is, drink and sleaze and lording it over poor folk with your blinging armour and mighty steed.
>>
I played a game as a Evil Mercenary Knight named Horatio Quill who went adventuring in order to continue to sell his award winning book series of his adventures (which were written by a magic quill that wrote on parchment tacked to the inside of his shield).
>>
>>49750161
Give him a goal and drive him toward it relentlessly. It can be anything; protect a specific person, find and artifact,whatever you can think of. When I played a knight mine was to slay a dragon.
>>
>>49750644
Knight can be a title. Ian McKellen is a knight. Terry Pratchett was a knight. I'd say rules-wise, they'd be Bards Or wizards . I like how you did it.

>>49751981
I'm a sucker for Dark Souls, so I'll add.

One archetype feels as though their position is their birthright and they deserve success. They don't give a shit about others or ethics, or loyalty if it means they get what they want.

The other is noble, loyal, dedicated, and sometimes a little stupid. They're the type that'll challenge a werewolf to a fistfight, or try and arrest a general for disturbing the peace.

>>49758785
That's also good, it's an excuse to start as a "knight" but at first level as well. "Real" knights were supposed to be trained for a decade or so.

>>49759067
Mounted combat and lances would be pretty cool to see. They'd work better as part of an army though. which is why your endgame goal is to lead one
>>
>>49760086
It's wonderful, I get to talk to lovely Poeple like you.
>>
>>49750161

You'll think of something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6COnmWCYNQE
>>
I played a knight who was a bastard and 4th son, so naturally after coming of age he just up and left his father's lands. Eventually used his small fortune to found a Merc company called the Severed Sons and became a troubadour after joining up the party, writing of his own Heroic deeds with a bit of embellishment of course. Ended up as a folk hero and local celebrity of sorts, super fun to play.
>>
File: xp1vm47.gif (288KB, 260x182px) Image search: [Google]
xp1vm47.gif
288KB, 260x182px
>>49750161
Be a blacksmith who makes all of his own weapons and armor and uses his quests and battles as advertisements to sell his equipment.

"Hey there! You! Yes, you! Wanna buy the sword that decapitated the 9 Horrors of the Forest? It can be yours for the low cost of 2000 gold today!"
>>
>>49750161
>How do you make a knight interesting.
They're basically fighters with a better social standing, access to better courts and in possession of more rights on top of being weapon skillmonkeys.
>>
>>49754773
starting with the best and most expensive non-magical armor in the game (worth over 1500 gold in 5e, for reference living a "wealthy" lifestyle is like 3 gold a day by RAW) as well as a mount that is also worth a good amount is a bit absurd

What's wrong with just calling whatever armor you generally get plate armor?
>>
>>49750372
That was beautiful to read anon, 10/10
>>
>>49755328
>No, knights are all about a set of armor, a horse and a weapon. That's (including upkeep) what seperates them from dudes who cannot afford more than an old sword.
No, that's a man-at-arms. Knights are all about nobility, as in social stratification, and armour, horse and weapon. No nobility, no knight. Before 12th to 14th century there was no knight unless you meant a serving boy.
>>
>>49765817
>before 12th to 14th century there was no knight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland
Equites in Rome were basically knights, an elite class who went into battle with good gear and mounted, they were just shit back then
>>
>>49765817
Weren't carolingian vassals essentially knights?
>>
File: IfWordsCouldKill.jpg (41KB, 564x380px) Image search: [Google]
IfWordsCouldKill.jpg
41KB, 564x380px
>>49758457
This is sort of the plot of an excisting movie already. It's about a bunch of servants who's knight dies of dysentry by the side of the road.

Fuck, they think, we're all boned. Without a lord to pay us we don't have an income. It's peacetime though, and like a true knight the fucker died in his armour....
His armour that covers everything.

And so the bravest of the three scruffy scamps dons the armour and is trained by the other two in the art of jousting. He's quite the natural, and they go on to win tournament after tournament.

The end scene is him almost being arrested for impersonating the knight, winning the tournament, and shagging the comely noblewoman. (I think.)
>>
>>49758457
This kinda happens in the Iliad when Ptroklos dons Achilles' armor. Except Achilles wasn't dead, he was just being a whiny little bitch sulking in his tent.
>>
File: cover-image.jpg (89KB, 458x652px) Image search: [Google]
cover-image.jpg
89KB, 458x652px
>>49754536

Sorry /tg/

This is the best picture I could find of a knight cooking.
>>
>>49750161
He's from a far abroad country and has very different values and definition of 'honor' than the rest of the party.

Think a Chinese man fighting in the Crusade
>>
One of my players is playing a knight type character. His character was originally an old farmer who spent his whole life in a small town. One day he found a knight wounded and dying in a forest near his farm. The knight gave him a letter and journal and asked him to give it to his son. He took the message, but he also took the armor and weapons, because he always wanted to be an adventurer.

I would say more but the player might visit this board and I don't want to spoil what I have in store for him.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.