[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have DtD 40k 7th ed Tips and Stories?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 11

Hey /tg/ my friends and I have stumbled upon this amazing abomination and thought it would be fun to run a game with it.

I was curious if anyone here has actually played the thing to give tips on how best to run it and balance encounters.

Also if anyone has stories of actually playing the game I'd love to hear them to get some ideas.
>>
>>49733671
sadly nobody plays this game

but they DO homebrew for it without end or cease...

http://s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/forum/3608394/

I could wish for people to come up and say if it runs well or not also...
>>
>>49733671
I'm getting the 3 books printed for about $50 now that I've got a group finally willing to give it a try after my fiancee explained she would play a fairie vampire maid.

The other players are now scrambling to make crazy characters. Hopefully our first session is next week (lots of shit is keeping the group from playing this week) so hopefully storytime soon.
>>
>>49734486
Aw. That's a bit disheartening. But I guess that'll mean our group will be one of the few to actually play.

Still it would be nice if any of them there could give advice on how it runs.

>>49734970
Guess I spoke too soon. Can't wait to here how your game turns out. Best of luck!
>>
>>49734970
I'd be careful with that third book. It's not as balanced as the first two.
>>
>>49736917
What exactly makes them unbalanced? Is it a specific class/exaltation?
>>
>>49737737
Goliath being Size 6 was a concern for some people, but I think that was an earlier build of the game where there were more Size altering effects and Assets.
I know that one of the exaltations was completely busted, and might still be somewhat busted, but I can't remember which one.
It's inevitable that some of the content is unbalanced, since it was made by many different authors and then compiled.
>>
>>49733671
>>49736917 caring about balance in a troll game
>>
>>49737866
>Not caring about balance in a game you play
>>
>>49737866
I wouldn't call it a troll game. It's a parody, sure. But the mechanics are pretty legit
>>
>>49734970
Post pics when you get them. It'd... It'd be something to see these things in real life.
>>
>>49734486
>>49735965
I've played a couple sessions, one of our guys started our first combat with Modrons by initiating social combat, it was a good game
>>
>>49738161
this, the third book was fan made though so it does need a bit of internal tweaking and brewing on a group by group basis
>>
>>49733671
Having finished one campaign of DtD, as well as a one shot, and being currently involved in a second campaign, I can honestly say that as a system it works far better than it has any right to. And that the character generation is fun to play around with.

As has already been mentioned, be a bit careful with the 3rd book as it's not the best put together thing in the world. Teams of high level Exalts fighting one another can take forever, so be careful on that front. Some of the artifacts are costed badly, for example the jetpack is far too expensive, and should really be equipment. Speaking of, seriously vet any vehicles created using the rules in book 2, they can be a little wonky with regards to ballance.
Also, ignore chosen. It doesn't work that well as a player exaltation, due to it's requirements on the players devotion stat.

Hell, myself and a mate have been working to completely redesign the devotion system, changing it to something more akin to the L5R honour system, as well as the chosen class. We should probably finish that.

As for some amusing things to do in game, here are a few examples. Try sticking incendiary and snare on the same weapon. You can give a artifact projectile weapon artifact ammunition of a different material, I was quite fond of a necrodermis weapon with wraithbone ammunition; the gun hates you, and the ammunition knows where you live. Speaking of artifact ammunition, silver bullet in clay pigeon(?) allows you to spray it everywhere without worrying about it running out. There is no situation that cannot be improved by the Just As Planned Talent. Killer doll 4 gives you as many Common quality thrown weapons as you could ever need, Frag and Smoke grenades are Common.

Somewhere I have a random character generator floating about that I through together. I'll see if I can find it and post it here, it's good for a laugh.
>>
>>49739292
Thanks for the tips. If you could find the character generator that would be awesome!
>>
File: 1449202720474.jpg (161KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
1449202720474.jpg
161KB, 900x1273px
stat me bitches
>>
File: 1427155525085.jpg (515KB, 1500x871px) Image search: [Google]
1427155525085.jpg
515KB, 1500x871px
>>
>>49739292
>silver bullet in clay pigeon(?) allows you to spray it everywhere without worrying about it running out
Reloading Kata in Tin Star.
Gotta get it for my Doomguy
>>
>>49742532
Literally who?
>>
Ok, so one of my friends looked through all the material and now he wants to play a kryptonian saiyan from the homebrew races/exaltations.

How broken is that combination compared to the first 2 books?
>>
>>49746276
Vanaran. My bad. He called it a saiyan since goku is a reference pic.
>>
>Stories

Gather around Grognards, it's time for a late-night recounting of the Tale of To-P'Qeq and his companions.
>>
>>49746869
Our story begins in the same fashion as many other sagas: In Prison. Space Prison, to be precise. Several motley miscreants have ended up in the cells of our intestellar incarceration facility.

RIPSAW (And his Boyz), a charismatic Orkish paragon who led a badass band of a dozen kommandos. Throw in the clink for essentially being an Ork in a civilized locale.

SOYUZ, the brilliant architect who ended up being merged with a C'Tan shard, turning into a brilliantly demented Warforged. I forget what led to his imprisonment, but chances are it had to do with his obsession towards the C'Tan.

And TO-P'QEQ, Ex-blood-bowl player, recent widower, and frequent drunk. Today, he had a bit too much to drink, got in a fight with most of the local authorities, and was eventually corralled into a cell.
>>
>>49746869
I'm all ears.
>>
>>49747066
Now, To, while undeniably A PARAON OF MORAL RIGHTEOUSNESS, does not count patience among his virtues. With the aid of the absurd strength granted to him by the Old Blood asset, he began to tear through the bulkhead of his cell, while the guards started to get somewhat nervous. Inspired by the Lizard Man's efforts, Ripsaw picked up the Warforged, and began to use them as in impromptu battering ram, to little effect. After several more seconds of rending solid steel apart with his bare claws, the Old Blood steps from his cell, and proceeds to roll around 80 on his intimidation check, which prompted the guards to immediately begin to gibber in terror. Sadly this fear-induced madness resulted in one of them getting turned into paste as he careened through the door to a control room. Once inside said control room, he continued the fine adventuring tradition of pressing literally every button in sight.

This resulted in a somewhat predictable outcome.

Every prisoner aboard was released. Madness, anarchy, catfolk and dogfolk living together, etc ensued.
>>
I'm in a game using the setting, although we switched systems after the official direction diverged from what we expected/wanted in the game (the devs wanted to lower the power level, we liked things over the top and dramatic)

We're currently using Legends of the Wulin as the base system, and it's pretty fun. The GM is great at incorporating other things into the setting, so we have the Ravnica guilds alongside the Scarlet Devil Mansion existing in Sigil and one of the main, recurring themes of the campaign is the cult of Toruk and the undead legions of Cryx.

My PC is an undead dryad who stumbled her way into being a Hunter of the Raven Queen and might, if my crazy crack theory is correct, be an Abhorsen (The GM is taking a lot of influence from The Old Kingdom books for death and necromancy.)

Recently she returned to her homeworld, only to encounter her still alive younger self, which caused a total mindfuck on my part that I'm still trying to figure out. After talking, though, the pair basically resolved to not fuck up the timeline (even if our chronomancer NPC friend thinks it might be an alternate universe), so we'll see how that pans out.

The trip to the dryad planet was actually just a side objective in our current arc, where we started out hunting down combination yeerks/brain slugs which had been used to steal the intelligence of a variety of gifted scientists.

Turns out it was all a very twisted scheme, using the mindless bodies as service personnel aboard an obscene pleasure cruiser while selling the minds to a powerful spirit of knowledge to let her siphon the intellect from them.

The cruiser was a real horrorshow. The GM showed utter hedonism without a hint of sexuality, with things like furniture made from the wood of Dryad Matriarchs (which made my PC physically sick) or mentioning a meal that consisted of harpy meat (harpies being a sentient speices) and Angel Bone chopsticks- Which is even worse when you add that Angels evaporate when they die.
>>
>>49747193
Our glorious heroes recognized each other as kindred spirits, and began to sprint towards the armoury/evidence room as the prison slowly started to fall into the atmosphere, proving that giant floating correction facilities should not be built by the lowest bidder.

Given that the party consisted of a mob of Orks, a drunken dinosaur, and a robot wizard, we did not encounter much resistance as we reached our destination. Ripsaw and his boys grabbed as many guns as they could carry, Soyuz reacquired his spellbook and academical paraphernalia, and To-P'Qeq reacquired his floral print shirt.

Unfortunately, a small group of guards stumbled across us shortly thereafter. While we took no losses, I did learn that you should never dump DEX, beginning an eternal trend of To walking away from each fight with no more than a few hit points remaining.

After we finished adding several new crimes to our rap sheet, we quickly crammed a dozen Orks, a giant lizard, and a robot in an escape pod. We set ourselves adrift, and after discovering that the only emergency rations aboard were baked beans, silently prayed for death.
>>
>>49733671
what...how...what is this?
>>
>>49747297
After an undisclosed time floating around the void of space, we careened into the hull of a notorious pirate. While this would normally be a cause for panic, we met the latest addition to the party: MORDECAI, Ophidian Daemonhost, dick-ass pirate, noted hedonist, and despicable worshiper of Tiamat.

Naturally, we got along splendidly, after explaining why we ended up lodged in his ship. We abdicated to the bridge to discuss matters in a more dignified setting. This plan was quickly derailed by Soyuz's player being absent, and the C'Tan shard deciding that it would rather not be a shard.

It conjured up some kind of mumbo-jumbo space magic vision quest, showing each member of the party their greatest desire: Eternal Waagh!, glory on the blood bowl field, and ludicrous amounts of gold. It then gave us a set of coordinates, before warning that there would be other parties interested in returning it to its full power and receiving its favour.

We agreed for a multitude of reasons. To operated under the reasonable mentality that it would be better to punch a whole C'Tan, rather than a piece of one. Ripsaw was in it for the scrap. Soyuz was certifiably insane, and Moredecai's role model was Scrooge McDuck.

>>49747351
"It's a monster made from the corpses of a dozen roleplaying games, animated by a vital spark that knows only darkness and terror."
>>
>>49747290
....I might steal some of these for a horror segment.

>>49747066
>>49747193
>>49747297
Keep this coming. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

>>49747351
A tg April Fool's day joke that actually had substance as a functional parody game. Made by a dude called Lawful Nice, then he made a second supplement book. Since then apparently people have been homebrewing crazy stuff.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dungeons:_the_Dragoning_40,000_7th_Edition
>>
>>49745591
a once-mortal dark godlike entity of the eldritch variety, makes a habit of granting maigcal powers to other people t watch them and be amused.

called The Outsider

I suspect he posted in an attempt to see how you'd make this character as a level 0 character.
>>
>>49747455

The GM did a damn good job of making it utterly foul.

We ended up mostly dealing with it by having our hacker take control of their shipboard security drones while my dryad wraith and our mercenary daemonhost (She's basically Leah from Diablo 3 plus MGSV Snake) snuck up on a Priest of the Great Maw and shoved him into his own shrine/portal had been devouring the energy of the local spirits.

What did that accomplish? Why, hundreds (perhaps thousands) of people who had been murdered, tortured and eaten by these monstrous bastards wanted revenge. My PC was more than happy to use a bit of necromancy to make sure they had no unfinished business that would keep them from passing on peacefully. That they brutally slaughtered every last perpetrator in the place was just an added bonus.

Our next target is a pleasure dome run by the same people, and the home of one of the masterminds behind the plan- Who is an in universe awful fedoralord. It's amazing/hilarious/pathetic. And it's going to be so good when we grind his nose into the dirt.

The Dryad planet is also sending a full military strike force in a frigate along with us. Because making furniture out of the wood of Elder Dryads is enough to rouse even the oldest and grumpiest Matriarch into a raging fury.
>>
>>49747432
Naturally, because nothing ever goes well for us, our objective awaited us inside the vault of the Lord of Dis. Given that hell is a bureaucracy, we needed a good reason to enter its damned airspace.

Fortunately, our resident robot happened to be technically an archeologist, and there was an ongoing exhibition. Shockingly, To displayed enough knowledge to do the paperwork (Two centuries of tax forms finally pays off!), and we were quickly ushered inside.

I would like to apologize from this point onwards, my memory is not the best, and as my group can attest to, I'm not the best player. I shall do my best to recall the proper order of this madness, but given that 90% of it involves getting drunk or mind controlled, consider it canonical.
>>49747455
Thanks!
>>
>>49747555
As best I recall, our first stop was a seedy bar, where Mordecai intended to meet with a contact who could help us get inside the vault. He went inside to participate in illegal gambling and spectate the fighting pits, while the Orks and I got incredibly drunk. Incredibly drunk.

Soon afterwards, a gang of Dwarves, armed with bolters, and the affectionately nicknamed Papa Dread appeared. After a bit of posturing on their part, communication broke down, and several cars were thrown. While To ended the fight nearing critical, he did grapple and throw the Dwarven dreadnought at its compatriots.

This scene of brutality and badassery unfortunately gave Mordecai an idea. While we continued to prepare for our visit to the archeological exhibit (After all, we need to maintain our cover, take some pictures, experience the local culture, etc), he learnt about the local televised underground fight club.

It took precisely no convincing to get To to enter.
>>
>>49747666
We immediately entered into the Arena.

Well rather, I did, being the very embodiment of masculinity. The others, realizing that this was best left to the miniaturized tyrannosaurus, set up in the drone control room, serving as a camera crew. Ripsaw was surprisingly efficient at this, consistently rolling well despite his total lack of competence in the area.

After a brief introduction to the Aasimir medic, To descended to the lowest plane of the arena, a multitude of pillars and walkways above him stretching seemingly forever into the abyss above them. The prize was somewhere up there, awaiting his azure claws.

Pyrotechnics, chest-pounding, and a physique that put He-Man to shame made for a suitably impressive first impression, winning the crowd's affection even before the bloodshed began.

Naturally, this was when the Velociraptors attacked.
>>
>>49747727
>> Naturally, this was when the Velociraptors attacked.

This is how you know you are running DtD right. Made me crack up more than I should have.
>>
>>49747771
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Anon.

I would like to continue this, but it's past midnight and I have classes early in the morning. If this thread is still alive, I'd love to keep regaling you with this shenaniganry.

Some Highlights that I promise to get to:
>The bit in which To loses his hat
>The bit in which To discovers his spirit animal
>The bit in which To rolls far too well
>The bit in which it all goes to shit
>The bit in which things go to shit for Mordecai
>The bit in which we learn that beating people to death with their brother's severed leg is not ideal etiquette
>The bit in which a megalomiac mastermind is politely asked to walk out the airlock

Given that the rest of the group browses /tg/, they may finish it off for me before I awaken. If not, I'll try to string what I remember into a coherent story.
>>
File: The Wizard was actually a Bard.gif (2MB, 375x276px) Image search: [Google]
The Wizard was actually a Bard.gif
2MB, 375x276px
>>49733671
>>49734486
Oh hey, I've been running DtD 40k as the Storymaster of my group for about 3 years now.

It's a pretty great game and system due to it taking the good parts of others, a fun setting too. The only complaint I have is that combat can take a while at times but auto-rollers help speed that up.

The hardest part was convincing the other people in my group to give it a shot. I managed to convince one to look into it and he was instantly sold once he got around to it, and with his help I was able to convince the others and now they love it as some of the most fun they've had with tabletop.
>>
>>49738405
>>49736917
>>49734970
The forums are more updated than the 3rd book, there are some changes to some of the egregious classes such as the Warlock.

I wouldn't actually print the 3rd book, not the least because it is split into 5 smaller books at the latest version before the guy that was putting the pdfs together vanished.
>>
>>49737836
Geode is busted but I dunno if that is still in the 3rd books at the latest version. Spark can be pretty busted too depending on what version it was.

The most busted exaltations though are probably Atlantean and Daemonhost from the first book though.
>>
>>49739292
>>49740035
>Also, ignore chosen. It doesn't work that well as a player exaltation, due to it's requirements on the players devotion stat.

It's true, which is a shame. There is a simple fix though in the Errata on the forums.

Whenever a Chosen increases their power stat, they also get 1 free pip of Devotion. They can still lose it like normal but that way they don't need to spend massive amount of extra XP on devotion in addition to the other restrictions. This way it is still a hindrance but not a game breaking one.
Watch out for Chosens of Tzeentch though, they are by far the best ones.
>>
>>49747465
Wraith Edgelord.

Yes, Edgelord is a class.
>>
>>49747908
Alright, I'll take the slow combat into account. I have them at least interested by the premise, which they think would be fun at least for a oneshot/short campaign.

Our biggest issue is that we are all coming from relatively quick/easy systems like D&D 5e, so I am a bit worried the crunch which I've been looking at will scare them off. I hope not though, because this really does look like a fun system.

By the way, any chance you could share a story or 2 from your time as story master?
>>
>>49746276
>>49746301
Pretty well balanced really. The one thing to watch out for and that was changed after the book stopped updating is the Overdrive, because in the book it stuns with no save. The way it works now is that it is a normal stun with a TN 15+Powerstat times 2 con save. So at max power stat it is at 25, which is still quite difficult but certainly not always successful if you're not immune.

Also, I don't know if the books updated it yet but the Stone Egg feat for Vanara was changed too for obvious reasons.

Overall, it will fit in quite well with the stuff from book 1 and 2. It will be about on par with the Paragon or Vampire which are good mid-range exalts, and not as strong as an Atlantean, Daemonhost or Wraith.
>>
>>49747297
>and To-P'Qeq reacquired his floral print shirt.
yes, I very much feel this character...
>>
>>49748011
>Our biggest issue is that we are all coming from relatively quick/easy systems like D&D 5e, so I am a bit worried the crunch which I've been looking at will scare them off.

Well, combat is crunchy but most things outside of combat really aren't, aside from jumping strangely enough.

It's much like 5e.

>Player: They're kidnapping the corpse of my buddy, but there are 15 walls of energy in the middle of the room! I want to run through a brick wall Starmaster!
>Starmaster: Okay, make an athletics+Strength test, keeping strength as normal. Remember, bonus dice for stunting.
>Player: Sure! Haus-Mill Sees the walls of Fire standing between him and his friend, but as a mining robot those walls of stone are a much easier path. Revving up his drill, he rushes to the far wall and springs off like an Olympic swimmer, flying off and through the walls drill first as they break around me, with a distinct and static-y OH YEAH reverberating around the room!.
>Starmaster: Okay, that's easily worth two dice. Roll em bones
>Player: Okay, so I have 5 strength and 5 athletics so that is 10k5. The extra 2 make 12k5, which drop back to 10k6 to prevent too many dice. I got a 67?
>Starmaster: That wall is DUST, like the dead Dustmen all around you. You smash through one wall, and your momentum carries you through the wall behind it!

That's just example of play, not a story although that did happen during one of my games. My favorite moments from the 1st campaign were probably the escape sequence when they were running from a Mithril Dragon Promethean through his collapsing fortress (stopping to throw a space-ship at the dragon to buy them time to loot the vault while they ran) and the murder mystery cruise.
>>
File: Typical DnD party.gif (3MB, 390x245px) Image search: [Google]
Typical DnD party.gif
3MB, 390x245px
>>49748180
Now my current campaign the group is:

>A 14 foot tall Strigoi Dryad Matron Druid, high ranking Factotum of the Verdant Guild that enforces their interests from the shadows. Only has 1 Int, almost no knowledge skills and is illiterate. Due to his Faction backing though he's technically the party leader, a fact that horrifies everyone whenever they remember it. Sworn enemy is a giant Lumberjack named "Paul Funion"
>1 foot tall Kobold Spark (Mad Scientist) Rigger. Retired Bus driver, "retired" when he temporarily went insane and drove his bus through the elementary school cafeteria during an assembly. Wanted by every police force in the galaxy, working under the table with the Verdant Guild since they promise to pull strings to clear his name. Self Medicates with alcohol. One of the top 100 ugliest things in all of creation. Goes by "Mr. Sunshine"
>Human Half-tau Wraith Assassin with Amnesia. Goes by "Berk" since that was the first thing he remembers someone in Sigil calling him. Also an alcoholic, he haunts the Kobold since he normally has booze. Due to some unknown curse Mr. Sunshine and Berk can't enter a Liquor store without something terrible happening.
>Boris the Dragon-blooded Squat, can trace his lineage back to Bahamut but follows Slaanesh. Is a monk-wizard that is only in it for the money.

Boris is dropping out for a while due to scheduling issues, but another player is joining. I think they're playing a catgirl paragon .
>>
>>49739292
>>49740035
Two things I through together a while back, an online character sheet to make my life a bit easier, and a random character concept generator I made for a laugh. There not exactly complicated or difficult to replicate, but hopefully someone will get some use out of them.
Online character sheet
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=1miujhus-WOe_b8RVoVyVjY4VEmcea_HIH13etmE8oJE
Random character concept generator
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PzP6Dr9vnoxPd4u1VuubOX689-aJkuiNTuPIrqe0_jI
>>
>>49747862
Now, when we last left out heroes, they were presumably off saving the galaxy.

As for our lovable scoundrels, they were engaged in gladiatorial combat for fun and profit.

The starting gun went off, and so To-P'Qeq began to scramble up the massive pillars, seeking the prize above. Given that he had claws the size of ham joints, this was not exactly an arduous task. Much to his dismay and the amusement of the audience, he was not alone once he reached the first level of this hellish arena. He was set upon by a pack of velociraptors, which shredded his shirt, and swallowed his hat.

He quickly set about retrieving his favoured piece of attire, prying it from the gullet of the damned dinosaur, while beating down a motherfucker with another motherfucker.

It was only when he finished pummeling the pack of feral beasts that he noticed the javelin rapidly approaching his heart.
>>
>>49750698
Fortunately, To-P'Qeq's hide is rated to withstand anything less than a bolt shell. The spear bounced off, doing little more than bruising him, as the Aasimir-Spartan-Bastard continued to offend everyone with his continued existence on another walkway.

To responded in kind, hurling what remained of a raptor at his foe, which did little but garner some laughs from the audience.

The two combatants had decided that this must be settled in a reasonable fashion, like civilized men of good breeding and gentility. Naturally, they both ascended to the next level, eager to face each other in glorious combat.
>>
>>49750238
Many thanks! If nothing else it'll help anyone struggling to come up with a character think something.
>>
>>49750945
Please don't stop now! Not before >>The bit in which it all goes to shit

I'm interested in what twists and turns this story will take. Then again, if life is calling I can understand.
>>
>>49747518
>our mercenary daemonhost (She's basically Leah from Diablo 3 plus MGSV Snake)

Are the rest of your pcs as unimaginative drivel as that? because 'hurr let me smush two uninteresting and unrelated characters characters together to make a character durr' is about the epitome of asshattery. The game sounds fun but that player sounds like the sort of person you shoo out from your group ASAP, or make them reroll until they show some actual creativity instead of stupidity.
>>
>>49752295
He may have just been summing it up in an overly simplistic manner to try and get others to understand quickly.
>>
>>49752295

This, basically >>49752392

Lots of members of our group have made references in their characters. The one I haven't mentioned yet made undercover cop/underwear model Samus Aran, agent of the Galaxy Police. But they're all fleshed out and developed in their own way beyond the source material, it just provides an easy point of reference and a fun blending of aesthetics.
>>
>>49752392
>>49752473
Okay, and blending aesthetics and whatever is fine, but like, 'galaxy cop samus aran' makes sense, as an underwear model is kinda magical realm but whatever

but what the fuck do diablo 3 and MGSV even have in common? What do venom snake and leah have in common? it's taking two entirely different things and smashing them together because lolwitty.
>>
>>49752495
Not either of those anons, but the name of the game is Dungeons: The Dragoning 40k 7th Edition
>>
>>49752524
And what does that have to do with anything? It should still be taken seriously, and not just lolrandumb hurr look at my fapbait bullshit character isn't she kawaii uguu desu sempai weeb bullshit.
>>
>>49753036
Not him, but to me it seems the entire point of this game is to be a mish mash of everything in a not too serious rpg.
>>
>>49753036
What are you talking about?
>>
>>49753134
>>49753137
Every game is serious. 'funny' games are for people trying to pretend that optimism isn't a lie. Games reflect people; people are universally awful and bullshit, and if you disagree with me you need to take a long, hard look at reality because you obviously need to take those rosey glasses off your stupid fucking face, stop watching bullshit anime bullshit and learn how life works. It must be serious, it must be gritty, and anyone trying to tell you otherwise is trying to sell you something that will kill you.
>>
File: EnjoyingMyAnger.jpg (51KB, 245x204px) Image search: [Google]
EnjoyingMyAnger.jpg
51KB, 245x204px
>>49753175
>>49753036
>>
>>49753242
Oh, responding with stupid bullshit comic image macros, how witty; how's mom's basement, you optimistic piece of shit? Learn how life works you rotten cunt, get off the internet and embrace the shit and hate that is human existence. Happiness is a lie.
>>
>>49751878
Sorry about the delay anon, I've got Midterms next week, so I'm rather occupied at the moment. Rest assured, I'll get to that bit soon enough. My GM was kind enough to remind me about the proper chronology, so there will be a brief flashback after the arena battle.
>>
>>49753374
Calm down, Anon. Everyone has a preference about their games. I enjoy my weekly dose of Deathwatch and darkness, but I also find great pleasure in punching my way through problems in DtD.

You're entitled to your opinion, and he's entitled to his. You by no means need to come to a conclusion on the matter, or to play together. Just sit down, enjoy a warm beverage, and find solace in the sound of rolling dice.
>>
>>49753454
Enjoyment is a lie and solace is a mockery of the spiral of negation that is existance. Pleasure is false.
>>
>>49753175
>>49753374
Oh I get it now. You're either a troll or depressed. If it happens by some small chance it happens to be the latter I want to ask you to get help. Sure sometimes the world is horrible, but if you can't find any reason to sit back and just laugh at something absurd and goofy then you need help. Talk to someone or go to a doctor man.
>>
>>49753585
He's a troll, just report him.
>>
>>49753601
My friend, this is 4chan. Trolling is an age-old tradition. You don't need to like it, or participate in it. You just need to develop a thicker skin.
>>
>>49753474

I too, was 15 once.

If existence sucks so much, why not end yourself?
>>
>>49753382
No problem. I just got done with midterms myself, so I can relate.
>>
>>49753651
Getting banned is an age old tradition too, so when someone shitposts everyone should just pile on the reports so it flies to the top of the mod queue and they get banned right away.

Don't like it? Grow thicker skin.
>>
>>49753651
>p-please don't report me
>It's just a p-prank bro
>>
Are there any resources for creating non exalt enemies/monsters? A few are given in the books, but it seems a bit slim for a full campaign.
>>
>>49757012
they're working on it in the forum including an updated and balanced monster manual.
>>
>>49757012
The ones in the book aren't so good because they didn't update when the rules changed, don't use them. There is a redone version of the monster section in the book with updated stats for them.

That said, it's not hard to make your own monsters or enemies to fight.
>>
Alright, and I'm back.

First off:
>>49754064
>>49754100
I'm not the same guy.

Just give me a few minutes and I'll continue the tale of To-P'Qeq.
>>
>>49750945
And so our two combatants faced off. One resplendent in scarred iron, a seasoned veteran of this hellscape of an Arena, the other a survivor of the blood bowl pitch, clad in little more than Khakis and a frayed Hawaiian shirt.

It was quite clear who had the advantage.

To moved forward, blitzing down the precarious bridge, landing hammering blows on the unfortunate divine warrior as they cowered behind their shield, jabs of their spear only serving to make the Lizardman angrier. Judicious applications of his backhand drove them back, leaving them at the very edge of oblivion as they paused for a moment, acknowledging each other as worthy opponents. Each was bloodied and battered, and eager to send the other falling to the floor far below.

It was around this point that the werewolf appeared, tossed the Aasimir off the bridge, and declared that it had waited over a century to enact its vengeance on To-P'Qeq.
>>
>>49757057
>>49757113
Ah, good to know the book is outdated. Guess I'll search the forum for the updated versions.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. Since I've never personally homebrewed monsters before what is the process of making a balanced monster other that throwing stats on a creature and hoping things work out?
>>
>>49757591
Yeah, and you should report shitposters too. Consider it "trolling" them back if it makes you feel better, since getting your posts deleted and banned for a few days sure makes their rumps red.
>>
>>49757678
As it turns out, leaving opponents alive after a game of blood bowl leads them to seek out a way to heal their crippling injuries. In some cases, they may accept the curse of lycanthropy to get their revenge on the Lizard that ended their promising career in the Elvish leagues.

The brawl quickly began in earnest, two rabid beasts throwing themselves at each other in an attempt to destroy their foe. While initially overpowered, To managed to eventually triumph over his opponent, throwing them off the precipice even as they tore into him. They plummeted downwards, landing on the still-prone Aasimir while cursing To-P'Qeq and his many, many grandchildren.

At this point, the commercial break began. After a brief misunderstanding about the existence of a commercial break, To settled down with an underhive gang and showed them the pictures of his progeny that he kept in his wallet. Their tolerance of this centuries-old lizard was repaid mere minutes later, when he merely beat them unconscious, rather than into a bloody pulp.

To was declared the victor, rising to the top of the evening's show atop a mound of comatose criminals. While this glory was slightly marred by the announcers doing a space-google search and realizing that he was expelled from the blood bowl leagues for having over half of his blood replaced with steroids, it was nonetheless an exemplary occurrence.

Now, while I would like to recount every single moment from this point onwards, I fear that it might take approximately far too much time. I'll share the first highlight suggested from this list:
>>49747862
>>
>>49757754
Since I know roll and keep probabilities, I figure out the dicepools the players have and an array of dicepools that range from "can barely hit the players at all" to "almost always hits them", pick the most appropriate ones and work backwards from there to get the right stats and skills my enemies need to reach those pools.
>>
>>49757754
I actually don't stat NPCs. I just see what the players roll, and keep in mind the general archetype I had in mind for the enemy, and base success or failure off of that.
>>
>>49757989
Shhhh, don't give away the that tier of DM secrets so quickly, he is not yet ready.
>>
>>49757935
The bit in which everything goes to shit

If you are still around.
>>
>>49758514
WELL ALRIGHT THEN

I'm in the middle of playing Dominions/studying for midterms, so please forgive any delay in the recitation of the shitshow.

An alternate title for this bit would be: How we all ended up wanted for genocide on an interplanetary scale.
>>
>>49758546
Now, my GM corrected me on something: We did pop by the museum before we engaged in blood sports. While there, we admired a Synreth cube.

Naturally, this turned out to be a Modron, because FUCK YOU. It reacted to the shard within Soyuz, and began to activate, sparking panic, small arms fire, large arms fire, and an arcane assault. This did little but piss it off, but fortunately To-P'Qeq was in the vicinity.

He promptly punched it through the ceiling, and we retreated in the chaos, stole a government-issued car, and drank a hydrogen fuel cell. You already know what occurred what happened at the bar.

The reason I bring this up is because of what we find on our next excursion to the exhibit.
>>
>>49757754
there's a whole thread for a balanced building system on the forum, give me a sec

http://s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/topic/10176091/1/
>>
>>49734970

>Actually getting a D:tD group

Godspeed and good luck. I managed to run one game and a chucklefuck ruined it for my group.
>>
>>49758690
We delve within, taking pictures as we tour the event, trudging downwards into the more esoteric artifacts, accompanied by a famed archeologist. It's mainly tame stuff, until we find the basalt-black abominable machine slumbering behind the velvet rope.

It was around now that we made the mistake of leaving the C'tan-possessed Warforged alone with the shiny red button that the voices in his head told him to press.

Within half a second, alarms began going off as undying legions arose from beneath the earth. The party and several survivors aggregated in a meeting room, raiding the minibar in a panic as an invasion of apocalyptic proportions consumed literal hell.

Needless to say, we were somewhat pissed at the Robot, but that's vengeance for another day.

While we would happily stay here and get drunk for hours more, the claws of the cybernetic scourge scraped against the door to our makeshift shelter. We made our exit through the window, with most surfing corpses gracefully down the side of the building while To elected to gracefully faceplant into the concrete below.

We then hijacked another vehicle, driving madly towards the ship as the entirety of Dis descended into chaos. The fact that we made it back without any losses was nearly miraculous, but us leaving before the Lords of Dis erected a Warp Storm was nothing less than the Gods decreeing that our antics amused them.

>>49758931
Can't just say that without storytiming, friend.
>>
>>49758896
Thanks a million! Will bookmark it.

>>49758931
Sorry to hear that, how did one dude manage to wreck it for everyone if you don't mind me asking?

>>49758951
Thanks again for the stories anon. I'd still love to here more of the misadventures of To and company, but I can definitely see midterms taking priority.
>>
>>49758951
>Can't just say that without storytiming, friend

That's fair, I suppose. My group that played was:

>Human Promethean Assassin, who was using the promethean hidden weapons to be Adam Jenson with the serials filed off
>Gnome Vampire Guardsman in power armor, basically some sort of midget vampire Starcraft-style space marine
>Orc Chosen Paladin of Vecna, rolled completely randomly by a guy who was overwhelmed by the character creation system and just decided to roll for it.
>Tiefling Paragon Assassin, who thought this was going to be a fantasy style game
>Chucklefuck McGee, who couldn't decide if he wanted to be Jayne Cobb, Admiral Adama, and changed concepts so many times the week before we played I don't even remember what he ended up being, other then that he had a ship, and tried to use it and/or orbital bombardment as his answer for everything, including locked doors.

The adventure started off with a ship battle, as McGee had a huge ship, and the tiefling had a Galleon (in space), so I figured I'd let them get it out of their system. They fought off a Cylon attack on a colonized agri world. I basically had a small encounter setup that was Eden Prime from Mass Effect, but with Cylons instead of husks.
>>
>>49759251

They managed to find their way to ancient runes depicting the ancient battles between the C'Tan and the Syrneth (I might be mucking the names here, I don't have my pdfs readily available), and accidentally activated the beacon, summoning a toned-down Modron, as everybody was still level 1.

(On a side note, I was really happy with my group up to this point, as they were standard one note murderhobos in all other systems I've played with them in. Everybody was more or less doing something in character, and people actually dived for cover when shit went down rather than just facetank everything)

Putting together all the information to track the beacon signal, the PCs also grabbed the plot hook to rescue an Eldarin Fleet Admiral's daughter, who had gone missing during the attack.

The players warp jumped to the beacon's location, expecting to have another ship battle, but only found a dead asteroid in space, carved lines indicating a vague face shape and when attempting to open communications, merely got back a morse code equivalent of 'beware, I live'. Further scanning indicated a landing/docking area that they could get inside of the plant. And this is where things kind of went off the rails.

"Okay, so where do you want to land?"
>Fuck that, we're blowing this up
(Discussion ensues if they really want to do that. They actually make a rather convincing argument about the apparently corrupting Modron signal that had suborned the Cylons and played havoc with the Promethean earlier. To be fair, they had legitimate reasons to kill everything with fire and lasers rather than let it spread)

So after their first round of bombardment, I mentally sighed, shrugged, and moved the first half of the dungeon-complex to the bottom of my notes, and start describing the inside and that they get a hit on the tracking beacon frequency for the Admiral's daughter.

McGee pulls 'it's my ship, I'll do what I want'
>>
>>49759455

and proceeds to blow all his torpedos and turn the entire thing into a big space marble, and described drawing a bunch of dicks all over the surface. I'm trying to scramble and figure out what to do now that pretty much the entire remaining adventure went up in a flurry of orbital bombardment, while the rest of the crew proceeds to 'wtf' at McGee.

I eventually slap together a social combat encounter with the Admiral and his advisors. The Orc Chosen of Acererak (derp, not Vecna) actually pulled some impressive social-fu and I let him burn favor to pull out some secrets about the Admiral and his advisors to declare some OBJECTSHUNS. The groups managed to smooth talk their way out of this, including convincing the advisors to get the Admiral to step down as maybe completely eradicating the threat was the best option, and the loss of his daughter was an unfortunate collateral damage.

Then McGee gets bitchy that there's no reward, and plays back his exploding and dick-drawing for the Admiral to demand that he reimburse him some of the torpedos he burned up (as Chucklefuck has just finally realized how difficult they are to replace). Entire group wtfs. I wrap the session, and while doling out experience and whatnot, inform the Orc player that he can add one of the advisors as an Ally/contact, and tell McGee that he should put the Admiral down as an enemy on his sheet. McGee announces that he doesn't like this system and isn't going to play it anymore.

And in that group, they never booted people, so that pretty much meant I wasn't ever running it again.
>>
>>49759553

And I know that was shitty storytime, but I'm tired from work and wasn't really planning on storytiming anything tonight.

The things lost on the cutting floor:
>Daughter was actually a recently awakened Atlantean, was going to be a quasi quest giver and lore explainer for the group for an arc.
>Had a C'Tan lord who would have basically taken the reapers flesh shaping and done it with metal monstrosities instead.
>The 'T-Virus' would infect synthetics, and at 100% infection would cause them to become terminator robots.
>Multiple ones would fuse together into abominations, eventually once approx. 10 of them fused together, they'd become a T-1000 and melt down into a shapeshifting puddle of doom and pointy things.
>The dungeon complex rescue mission would have involved accidentally activating a core corrupted AI at the center of the thing, which would have metalsculpted the Asteroid into Sinistar, which they would have fought in their ships.
>Loosely thought out, the C'Tan Lord was going to be based off of Smithy from Super Mario RPG, and would have had the Star Forge as his base of operations where he churned out monstrosities and/or Decepticons.
>>
>>49759553
>The Orc Chosen of Acererak (derp, not Vecna)

You can call him whatever you want actually, he doesn't have a set name since he gave it up for power as described in the book. It's why he is named different things in book 1 and 2.
>>
File: cool.jpg (65KB, 700x734px) Image search: [Google]
cool.jpg
65KB, 700x734px
>>49759609
Try to get it back together.

SHOCKING TWIST: the princess is in another castle. They don't know what was going on in that dungeon, you can just reuse it later

A cool trick to DMing is that you can make it seem like the players aren't being railroaded but really are, by having what they do still result in more or less the same thing. Sure they blew up that factory but there are sure to be others, which may well be better defended against bombardment. Or perhaps they have an unrelated mission that ends up being a cover for that C'tan thing that's behind it all, leading back to what you wanted.

A little improv and thinking on your feet and the players will never know you're reusing what you already had in mind as well. Everyone wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCqF_NtpOQ

Either way it sounds like it would be a cool adventure. You should see if you can wrangle them back up minus that one guy that rubs you the wrong way, or reuse the plot idea with a new group.
>>
>>49759832

Good tips, but a moot point now, I'm afraid. That group only played things that everybody agreed to play on, so one guy saying he wasn't going to play meant an instant veto instead of 'well, then you don't need to show up next week'. I left the group about two years ago now to take a much better job than the one I had.

And now I no longer have to live like a hobo, but I have no group at all.
>>
>>49759870
What didn't he like about the system?
>>
>>49759900

Bottom line he didn't like having any consequnces to his actions: In this case having an Admiral pissed off at him, and actually having to rebuy/re-req. his entire torpedo armory. He just sulk-quit and that meant the end of me running it.

There was plenty of other drama between myself and that guy that went both ways and part of why I didn't mind ditching the group for my job. When I visited them once on a trip back he was in usual form, and one of the other group members went 'Jesus, you're a dick tonight, are you seriously doing this because anon is back?'

I didn't really bother keeping in touch after that, wasn't worth the stress.
>>
>>49759983
Perhaps try to find a new group? You don't really need a lot. My DtD group only has 3 core players, with a forth that comes and goes and a possible new guy that will join next month but we'll see how that goes.

3 or 4 is plenty I'd say. 4 is Ideal, 3 is doable. 2 is a bit low, but can still be fun.
>>
>>49760007

I basically gave up having any sort of a life for money now. It's something I'm working on fixing, but I currently work on weekends only and it kinda kills finding a decent group. I did check out my local gaming stores, walked in, saw 20 pathfinder players all clamoring at one DM, and just slowly backed out. I've tried to run it online once or twice, but usually it ends up boiling down to a solo game that dries up once life slaps myself or the player around hard enough to cause a leave of absence and it never properly picks up again.
>>
>>49760152
Sorry to hear all that anon. But like others have said, save any notes you had about that old campaign. Sounds like that campaign would have been a ton of fun, and maybe later on you'll be in a position to find a good group to use it on.
>>
Just wanna say thanks to all the anons in the thread for the advice. Is there anything else different from running your "average" rpg to keep in mind with DtD? Just thought I'd ask before the thread died.
>>
>>49761326
To me DtD is more of a game about Yes than it is about No.
>>
>>49761386
Yeah, that is honestly what is making my group at least think about trying it. The ability to have an action packed crazy story where you can try and rule of cool your way to victory.

I'm just hoping I can do the system justice and get everyone hooked.
>>
>>49761653
thread-bump
>>
>>49758951
>>49758690
Ok then. To-P'Qeqs' GM here.

Let me tell you some more tall-ish tales of their not-so-grand adventures. And also add some stuff To forgot.

While waiting for the paperwork to be completed a Mercykiller ship currently stuck in (literal) line to enter Hel... ahem... Baator Sphere contacted the party and essentially asked to let 3 officers on board to get them into the system, promising some vague favour in return.

Being a sucker for betrayal and friends in high places the snek Captain of the party ship agreed and let a mid-ranking officer and two lesser ones accompanying him on board. Party succeeded in averting their eyes and got them to the Hive World of Dis without incident.

First thing party did after getting planetside and securing a place in a dock was visiting the Exposition on which the cube incident happened. The pocket Warboss of the group, Ripsaw, was informed that they will let neither 20 orks, nor orks with heavy assault explosive weaponry into what is effectively a private collection demonstration. So, the party and a single "bodyguard" ork NPC rode a luxury flying car with a complimentary driver to the expo. They later forgot they had the driver in the first place and cross-wired the car assuming they just managed to lose keys somewhere. This is how they ended up stealing a luxury car with a rather cranky on board AI from the Lord of Dis.

Right after that they have gone to the underhive bar/illegal gambling den to meet with the informant, who would provide info on the Vaults that they wanted to rob. Again. They went to the Space Hell equivalent of ghetto on a luxury car. And they just left it outside the bar. The AI was screaming at them not to do it. A couple (dozen) drinks later the "smart guy" Soyuz hears some commotion. And indeed, a rowing gang of gnomes led by a dwarf had already bricked their car. Why would they brick a car with no wheels is anyones guess.
>>
>>49763545
The two brutes of the party swiftly killed the dwarf, prompting some screams from the gnomes that sounded suspiciously like "Papa Smurf!", and scared off the gnomes. Then all three of the "heroes" went back inside the bar and got several dozen more drinks.

No less than an hour later some more commotion could be heard outside. And, indeed, a dwarven kill-team, led by a dreadnought, came to have their revenge. Apparently the local Dwarf Mafia didn't like when "damn outsiders" harassed their gnomes and stopped them from getting more scrap.

Needless to say To jumped at the opportunity to wrestle a dreadnought, even one barely larger than himself. The battle was that of equals, but in the end, by the power of Warp Phenomena frenzying everyone in the vicinity (and prompting like 4 dwarves to beat the shit out of an ork twice their size with their fists alone) the miniature t-rex prevailed and supplexed a dreadnought into the rest of the kill-team.

After that Ripsaw did the smart thing which never, ever bit them in the back. He took one surviving dwarf, beat him up with a head of another dwarf, gave it to him and sent him back alive to "Tell doze stoney gitz not to muck wit' us".

After that they pried the sarcophagi out of the scrapmetal pile that was the dreadnought, took it with them and poured it a beer (through a sprocket). Later they found out that the dread was named Grandpapa Smurf. What a coincidence.
>>
>>49763545
>>49763689
Thanks for giving us more tales. Sounds like it was a fun campaign all around.

Not to be greedy, but any more stories? How long did this campaign run anyway, or is it oongoing?
>>
>>49765922
>>49765922
I do indeed have more stories and I bet To'P-Queqs player can remember some as well, should he try. Campaign is half-a-month away from being a year long and is still going. To date TopKek is the only remaining member of the original, starting party, with one PC being lynched (and making another character) and Ripsaws player encountering scheduling issues. I got like 6 players and we are running weekly. In a couple of hours I will give more tales in case the thread is still up.
>>
>>49766220
Glad to hear you've all had a good length campaign.

How does DtD handle a 6 person party? I knoe some systems kind of break down after you have more than 4 players, and I have 5 currently wanting to try it so I admit I'm curious.
>>
>>49766771
Same guy here.
Main problem with the big party is boss and "giant enemy crab" balancing, as the number of players leads to ridiculously fast "death by a thousand bolter rounds". Balancing normal encounters isn't that hard, as long as you are familiar enough with the system to make adjustments to presented enemy profiles, a topic that was somewhat discussed earlier in the thread. Combat can get a bit tedious when party is high-level and everyone has like 6 modifiers on every attack, but it is manageable. One of the biggest problems is, again, enemies that should present a challenge as it is easy to overdo and have them wipe the party in a turn or kill one party member per turn. Or, you know, go too easy and have the final boss of the arc be anticlimatic due to being underpowered.
>>
>>49767258
Players don't get to see the enemy stats, so you can change them on the fly if you need.
>>
>>49747465
>make the Outsider...

Hmm.

God: Ruinous Powers
Portfolio: Chaos, Insanity, Rats, Magic

Has the most Chosen out of all of the god, because he enjoys sowing the seeds of chaos wherever he can.

Mark of the Outsider: Choose a Spell School. You can advance that School as though it appeared in all class tracks, and are immune to Psychic Phenomena and Perils of the Warp caused by casting spells from that School.
>>
>>49767326
That is generally a dick move and not something you should do.
>>
>>49767374
Better than accidentally making a monster too strong and wiping the entire party without breaking a sweat.

Best thing to do is learn to not do that of course by stating everything perfectly but the most important thing is the player experience so if you mess up then you should be able to correct it.
>>
>>49747980
>Watch out for Chosens of Tzeentch though, they are by far the best ones.
Truth.

I'm currently involved in the Zeta Beta, playing a Chosen Warlock of Tzeentch. The original completion bonus (may push one die harder) would have meant that I was guaranteed to turn into warp-storms in combat, and to hell with the rest of the party, because I'm immune to the horrific Warp-shenanigans that would normally have wrecked my shit.
As it is, +2 (per completed warlock level) on any focus power test I push is still ridiculous.
>>
>>49767374
No it's not it's why the concept of and screen exists. DMing is not about arbitrating the rules and making sure the math is right it's about making the game fun. If the stats are getting in the way you change them, if the dice are getting in the way you fudge them and if the rules are getting in the way you handwave.
>>
File: Shockeye.jpg (204KB, 686x576px) Image search: [Google]
Shockeye.jpg
204KB, 686x576px
>>49747455

>....I might steal some of these for a horror segment.

GM here. Thanks, I had...ok, fun isn't really a good term. I put in work at trying to make a hedonism ship that wasn't just a trip into people's magical realm. As to be honest, unrestricted sex and drugs is a bit hard these day to actually make good and properly sickening to players who have ever seen the internet.

I ended up basing a lot of it off the Androgum from The Two Doctors. Taking the general 'Animals don't have feelings so it doesn't matter if we make them suffer for us' idea and applying it in this case to 'Non-nobles'
>>
>>49767408
Good thing about DtD is that "Too strong" isn't usually a problem. And, still, randomly changing stats on the fly isn't a good thing to do. It is far better to come up with an IC reason. Like a lieutenant/third party suddenly betraying/interjecting and giving the PCs an opportunity (and you representing it by changing stats) or the long loved "This is not even my final form".
>>
>>49767456
* Concept of a DM screen
>>
>>49767413
>The original completion bonus (may push one die harder) would have meant that I was guaranteed to turn into warp-storms in combat, and to hell with the rest of the party, because I'm immune to the horrific Warp-shenanigans that would normally have wrecked my shit.

That's normally only a problem at 1st or 2nd level when you don't have Calm the Storm yet to steer the Perils to ones that only affect the caster, and thus don't do anything mechanically to you. As you get higher in level you get better able to do that. Adding in a Wraithbone heart will make this even easier.

The bigger issue with the original was how powerful it was, it was a +6.1 average bonus since it was a rolled and kept die which was astounding compared to the normal pushing that only gives rolled. It also got to play hell with spells that go off caster level instead of character level like Energy Meteors.

Newer Version is much better, although it does lend characters to only push 1 die to get the full +10 bonus at high levels if they aren't chosens of tzeentch.
>>
>>49767470
Players don't know how many dice you are rolling for a character behind a screen and they don't know how many hitpoints an enemy has. If the fight is going on too long and the players are losing interest then you can end it early for instance.
>>
>>49767490
Yeah, I was actually responsible for that nerf. Seriously, I felt like "automatically cause Perils of the Warp whenever you cast a spell" was not something that should be paired with "immune to Perils of the Warp". And I was playing the character that could potentially GET that combination.
Okay, part of it was the fact that I wasn't really happy with the fact that that would pretty firmly put literally any combat spotlight directly on me, because it would turn it into "well, the Warlock's just going to explode it with an altogether too powerful spell".
>>
>>49767258
>>49767326
>>49767374
>>49767408
>>49767456
>>49767470
>>49767537
So basically, be sure to try and scale bosses up appropriately before hand. If you screw up horribly either send in some cavalry or have the boss "evolve"?
>>
>>49768153
Yes, unless you are ok with changing stats or fudging dice
>>
>>49768207
If you do those you're still fudging the encounter, just letting the players know.
>>
>>49768207
Alright, and I assume besides that the only issue with a party of 5 would be turn times in combat judging from what others have said?
>>
>>49768331
It could indeed get a bit slow with 5 people I'd reckon. A good combat could easily take hours to get through in my experience.
>>
>>49768331
It can get slogged down. Not always will. But can. Especially so if you do it by text.
>>
>>49753474
What's your point?
>>
>>49747940
thats annoying, but I suppose it gives more freedom to those wanting to put more work in, like the ones who say want centaurs over unicorns, or Salarians over Slaad and such competitors for the same archetype that approach in their own direction
>>
is there a race that has some protoss in it or is that best homebrewed from Eldarin or something?
>>
>>49768401
Don't talk to him, it validates his existence
>>
>>49768476
he seems to hate having his existence validated because that sort of hope burns him, hes the kind of evil thats hurt by hugs
>>
>>49768529
Just report and ignore him.
>>
>>49768369
Alright, I guess I'll just have to make sure the players don't spend too much time being indecisive on their turns to mitigate a little of the slowness.

>>49768394
Oh this will be in person. I've never done anything tabletop online, but it seems like it would increase the time to do anything exponentially.
>>
>>49767341
Ehhhh, honestly, I don't think he'd be like that at all. He'd be smashed with the Grey because he doesn't give a singular fuck about anything but self-entertainment and saving the spess whales. Whales more than rats, insanity is a side ffect. Boredom should be included.

Also that mark is ridiculously OP. Making it so it could be used as an implement and all spells cast through it as subtle is a lil more true to form and less OP.
>>
>>49766220
Not sure if you are still around anon, but I would still love to hear those not so heroic tales whenever you have the time.
>>
>>49773690
THEN A TALE YOU SHALL HEAR, KIND ANON!

Would you care to hear of the events that occurred after the destruction of Dis?
>>
>>49774274
Oh yes
>>
>>49770886
Thing is, in DtD Ruinous Powers don't really map quite as tighty to evil as they do in 40K. Remember that every god was given an example of a benign and a malevolent cult.

This guy certainly seems to be a big proponent of chaos, what with his MO of empowering malcontents
>>
>>49774274
Yeah I would! Honestly I've loved all the stories from your campaign told so far, and by the sound of it those weren't even the tip of the iceberg. So any more stories would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>49775187
>>49774599
THEN YOU SHALL HEAR IT!

Apologies for the lateness, started to study and briefly forgot about it.

Now, after the destruction of an entire world, we were somewhat upset at Soyuz, to say the least. As such, we dropped by his workshop in a cargo bay, and saw that he had been making a large amount of tech-use rolls to build a giant-ass robot with a big-ass axe.

We decided to be diplomatic about this, and proposed a solution that would be amendable to all parties: If Soyuz would kindly step out the airlock, we'd all very much appreciate it.

For some reason, he did not accept our entirely reasonable request, despite extended negotiation.

Things rapidly devolved from that point onwards. Given that To-P'Qeq was most at home in the Jurassic Period, this suited him just fine. While Ripsaw and Mordecai chased him off into the maintenance tunnels to deal with his magic, To finally found someone to square off with.
>>
>>49775354
Unfortunately, fighting a 15-foot tall armed robot was not my wisest idea. Its axe lopped off several bits I would have rather kept, and it frequently broke his loving embrace to continue hacking at him with a giant axe.

Eventually, bleeding from numerous wounds (I had yet to improve my Dex, so every attack was nearly guaranteed to hit), To looked up at Oblivion, an axe the size of a small car descended towards him.

Surprisingly, it embedded itself in his shoulder, without ending his incredibly long life, which served only to piss him off further. With a hull-shaking roar, he began to dismantle the robot, tearing into it as it was helpless to stop the reptilian reaver.

It was around this point that Soyuz miscast, and began to fuck with gravity.

Robot and Reptile alike floated upwards, still engaged in mortal combat, To clambering over his foe while reality turned topsy-turvy. As normality began to return, he leaped upwards, turning himself into a living spear as both abomination and athlete descended.

With a crash, they fell, To breaking apart its armoured plating as he landed, shattering what few critical systems remained. The others had polished off Soyuz, forcing him to teleport off of the ship mid-flight. They returned to To-P'Qeq roaring triumphantly atop the wreckage, bloodied, bruised, but unbroken.

It was several more weeks of warp travel before he remembered he was morally obligated to beat Mordecai to death with their own spinal column.
>>
What is the best way to go about playing a Magical Girl?

Are their any options for playing somebody that wields the power of Song as a tool/weapon?
>>
>>49775793
Look at the Muse exaltation somewhere in the homebrew forums.
>>
>>49775547
> he remembered he was morally obligated to beat Mordecai to death with their own spinal column

I feel like I need to screencap this for the next greentext/story share thread, but I wouldn't even know what to name it.
>>
>>49775793
Second question first: look at the Skald exaltation, and fluff the shouting at people as singing at them instead.

On playing magical girls: it's not clear to me the exact status of the Font exaltation. If it works properly, it's exactly what you want. If it doesn't, on the other hand, there may not be a good answer right now (werewolf would be the closest, and doesn't really fit the magical girl archetype).
>>
>>49733671
So, stupid, but I want to play as a Pilot ala Titanfall. Wat do?

BONUS: Also titan plox
>>
>>49775958
Heh. Feel free to screencap this, I'd quite like to be immortalized.

Anyways, there's been trouble brewing between Mordecai and To-P'Qeq for a while. Mordecai is possessed by a Daemon of Tiamat, a notorious pirate, a serial backstabber, and is generally a bit of a dick. To, on the other hand, is an upstanding adherent of Bahumat, and after consulting his holy texts, they explicitly mentioned this as an appropriate occasion to beat a motherfucker down. He went to rectify Mordecai's continued unpunished piracy, only to be charmed by their wits, good looks, and an ample amount of arcane mindfuckery.

This was several weeks ago. To-P'Qeq has only now passed the test to break free, and has set aside his Blood Bowl highlights and Matlock reruns to settle his differences with the Party's de facto leader.

Following the always wise advice to negotiate from a position of power, he kicked down the door to Mordecai's quarters, prompting a flurry of small-arms fire from within. Being an entirely reasonable fellow, To entered the room and proceeded to swing the Pirate Prince around by their own tail, smashing their cabinet of expensive liquor, beating their face in, and giving them a stern talking-to about respecting other people's property and not worshiping a dark god of dickery.

This would have been it, had they not attempted to Command To to feed them his blood.

Unfortunately, the wording of the command spell only allows a single word to be transmitted.

Even more unfortunately, the word they chose to send was "Blood".

We decided that there was a 50% chance of this working, a 25% chance of To feeding Mordecai their own blood, and a 25% chance of Mordecai being slapped like a slim jim.

You can probably guess what the dice decreed.
>>
Is there a way to play a power hungry necromancer in the game? With guns preferably.
>>
>>49776435
Yes.
The easiest way to do it is to be an Atlantean with Necromancy permanently on your class tracks.
But any other exaltation would work, you'd just have to jump your class tracks around more.
>>
>>49776435
a dozen different ways...
>>
>>49746301
The dumb anime pictures really are this game's biggest roadblock. My group is iffy of DtD because the tiefling picture is goddamn scanty and kneesocks.
>>
I guess this is more of a world building/dm question, but since it's for DtD and the thread is still up I'll ask here.

All the games I have done have been one world. I have some events/dungeons I can move around depending on where the players go, but the overall world itself and the places are set in stone.

How should I go about translating that into a game with tons of world's and spheres the players could possibly travel to?

Should I tie actual plot points to certain planets and wait until the players find them? Should I try and build a bunch of detailed worlds before hand, or just make some locations and just plop them wherever the players finally decide to land?

Or is DtD better if I just have some modular plot events and wing everything else?
>>
File: the best vampire game ever.jpg (55KB, 329x475px) Image search: [Google]
the best vampire game ever.jpg
55KB, 329x475px
>>49776435
Vampire with the Tremere Bloodline might be the best.

I actually had one of those in my games Vampires let them have Celerity which allows you to take extra half actions by spending blood points, which is excellent for a sniper or general gunshoot guy since you get to aim and shoot and move and use gunmagic and everything. You can even pretty easily shoot and cast necromancy spells in the same turn with celerity.

The nice thing about the Tremere bloodline is that it gives you rank 1 in Necromancy at first and can advance it as part of your class progression always, and you get a +1k1 to all necromancy tests. It's great shit.
>>
>>49785883
Well it has a massive world, but there might be a few set locations that the party actually visits. In my first campaign the party only ever went to 2 planets and 2 space stations (including Sigil) and it lasted about 2 years.

Modular plot events are a good idea but depending on how free roaming the party is they will likely go where the action is and where the actual adventure takes them.

In my current campaign, which has lasted about a year so far the party has only left Sigil once, for a single session when they went through a Gate that was opened to a Tau planet, and then left about 8 hours later to go back to Sigil when the gate opened back up again.
>>
>>49785883
>Or is DtD better if I just have some modular plot events and wing everything else?
you can do either or both. experiment.

with specific worlds make sure to have some cantina banter ready to sling at them to tell them what world has what event/macguffin
>>
>>49785257
Your group are autists
>>
Alright, I've gotten plenty of good advice and a couple of wonderful stories out of this thread. Now I want to ask for suggestions on how to properly start off the campaign.

A normal start seems like it would be a waste, so I was looking for suggestions on a good over the top DtD way to start the campaign off and introduce the party to each other.

Should I put them on a space station that starts to fall out of orbit? A tavern suddenly under siege by Ork's? On a transport ship suddenly beset by pirates?

I'd like any fun ideas on how to start this campaign off with a bang.
>>
>>49791980
A pub dedicated to classic Tavern food and atmosphere. Part of a chain dedicated to rewriting history through strategic node placement.
>>
>>49794836
nah man, this is Dungeons the Dragoning...

the starting location should be at least two of the following

plummeting from space(or at least falling obver)
on fire
the scene of a massacre (or massacer in progress)
in the process of self destruction, implosion, or collapse.
being raided by pirates of either land/sea/ or space
filled with zombies, ninjas, or angry cats/lizards/catting-lizards
literally covered in bees
>>
File: FuturamaComposition1024.jpg (129KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
FuturamaComposition1024.jpg
129KB, 1024x768px
anyone think you could run a game that feels like Futurama or the futurama setting in this system?
>>
>>49791980
>>49794836
>>49795956
My game started in an insane asylum for the Magicaly and Mechanically insane.
>>
>>49795956
A pub on lower levels of Mt. Celestia is invaded by an army of undead were-sharks
>>
>>49791980
Start them in The Cage, the Wheel's most secure prison. When it starts, have a breakout be already in progress.
>>
>>49795991
You could prolly make Sigil feel like Futurama Earth if you go full silly.
Also, the party is an adveturer-based delivery service (this bit I've actually used in a Cuhrayzee 4E game)
>>
What's the shortest path to Power Armor?
>>
>>49796434
Being a Gnome and choosing Power Armor as your free armor proficiency from your Racial power, then getting either Inheritance 3 or Artifact 5 in your Backgrounds, for standard power armor or power armor made of special, magical materials, respectively.
>>
>>49796434
Just get it with your background dots if you don't care about your Static Defense, you can use it without proficiency. Just watch out for snipers.

If you want to be proficient in it then you can go Tech-priest, which gets to pick any armor proficiency at level 1. Pick power and away you go.
>>
>>49798332
>>49798448
Thanks. Don't think either works for the concept but then again PA isn't terribly important either
>>
>>49798477
What's the concept?
>>
>>49796434
What this guy >>49798332 said is pretty much the only way to get power armor right out of the gate, barring begging your DM.
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.