[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 358
Thread images: 33

File: image.jpg (113KB, 1137x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 1137x640px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

> Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana | October 2016
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Encounter_Building.pdf

Previously on 5th Edition General >>49725297

Thread Question:
What is your favourite magic item that you've received or created (official or home brew)?
-OR-
What are some interesting Halloween themed NPCs/creatures/adventures to include for the coming weeks?
>>
4e was pretty good
>>
>>49730770
My favorite magic item that I have actually received has to be the alchemy jug. It's such a fun roleplay and utility item. My bartender sorcerer got the item. Sandwiches and barrels of ale ensued.

As for what adventure you could run for Halloween, you could run death house. I enjoyed it when I played through it with a wizard. I've also seen a pumpkin king homebrew monster that's pretty well designed if you want a higher CR encounter.
>>
>>49730819
I kind of want to replay it just for perspective.
>>
>>49730770
>When they give the Slippers of Spider-Climbing to the Mermaid
>>
>What are some interesting Halloween themed NPCs/creatures/adventures to include for the coming weeks?

Some guy posted this a couple days ago. It's /5eg/ original content and I gotta say it's pretty great.
>>
What's your rule on short rests? I take them down from an hour to like five or ten minutes. An hour defeats the purpose of it being short.
>>
>>49731203
I keep it at an hour and run it as-writ. I haven't had a reason to change it.
>>
>>49731203
I keep them as is, although I allow the players, if they all agree, to take a 5-minute breather for a level of exhaustion. They've only done it once, when I had an egg-timer going and they had to finish the dungeon before it went off--which meant they all died horribly, crushed by several tons of rock and suffocated by sand.
>>
>>49731217
How does that work with a series of encounters? I run into the issue of two or three fights taking 2+ hours of gametime just so the players can catch their breath.
>>
>>49731203
Balance wise the game makes more sense if you do 8 hour short rests, and seven day long rests.
>>
>>49731245
>How does that work with a series of encounters?
They either man up and fight down to the nub or they retreat to rest and give the enemy time to prepare for their return.
>>
>>49730983
It has flaws, some of which were fixed with later material. But it really didn't deserve the treatment it got, and i think 5e would have been better if it didn't try to distance itself from 4e as much, and instead embraced some of 4e's strengths.
>>
>>49731242
Really? It just sounds like it makes the adventuring day drag on and on.

>>49731270
How is it manning up? Several classes have features that are of round-to-round use and power but for some reason require a full hour to recover. Not to mention the completely inferior recovery that is a short rest.

I mean, the only reason I see it taking an hour is to specifically keep you from using certain class features, but any class feature that recharges on a short rest isn't really that powerful.
>>
>>49730770
If bladesinger says, "if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon." then does that mean I'm allowed to use each hand for a different weapon attack?
>>
>>49731203
I would play warlock in every game you dmed.
>>
>>49731305
>I mean, the only reason I see it taking an hour is to specifically keep you from using certain class features, but any class feature that recharges on a short rest isn't really that powerful.

Good example of that are battlemaster maneuvers. The guy's gonna get a max of 6 of those dice in his entire career. Most encounters are over in 6 or 7 rounds. Even if he were to get superiority dice back at the end of any encounter, that means he could use maybe one maneuver a round. 2 if he's got some killer plan and situation available.

With it keying off a short rest, that means he's going to use maybe one per encounter. And let's be honest, they're neat but they're not that strong. Many feats match maneuvers in power, and those are generally things you can do all the time
>>
>>49731305
>How is it manning up?

By coming to terms that these
>features that are of round-to-round use and power but for some reason require a full hour to recover.
are not required to fight and are temporary boosts, not something actually meant to be used every round of every combat ever.

And besides, which features do you mean? Action Surge, doubling your damage output? Second Wind, a low-power self-heal? Wild Shape, that gives you dozens of extra HP and more melee damage, twice between rests? Warlock slots? Superiority dice are the only ones that fit your description, and those are still fine with a 1-hour short rest.
>>
>>49731305
Nah; when the party takes short and long rests depends entirely on their decisions. I never force it on them. My games tend toward the sandbox, so there will be times when what makes sense to be where they are aren't very powerful, but also times that where they find themselves also has lots of enemies, or several very big and/or powerful enemies. Just depends, really.

Otherwise, they just do what they think is best, and if they die, so be it. Fortunately, I've got an awesome group that likes the story that they tell together more than anything else, so it fits my DM style--which is admittedly a bit old school.
>>
>>49731368
Action Surge and Wild Shape are some of the strongest short rest powers, and in my experience, letting the Fighter Action surge every combat has not even come close to destroying balance. Wild Shape would need some reigning in even on a long rest, but that's more to deal with Wild Shape being a top-fucking class feature. Warlocks absolutely should have more access to their slots
>>
>>49731469
>reigning
Reining. Way to make myself look like a dumbass.
>>
Does anyone has the adventurer's league password for Storn King's Thunder?
>>
>>49731494
hekatonsmight

Don't bother though, there's basically nothing there.
>>
My group does regular IC journals after each session (DM bribes us with a free inspiration, so we're pretty consistent with it).

They're all posted on Obsidian Portal, so we can read each others. It's kinda cool, cause we can look back over the campaign and see what happened, we get OOC insight into others characters and we can see what other players thought stood out the most during the sessions.

Anyone else do this? If so, care to drop a link?
I can link ours if there's any interest.
>>
>>49731316
What kind of bladesinger doesn't dual wield scimitar as a Drow
>>
I want to give my players faction based rewards when they do quests for them, but I only know of Harper pins. Do the other 4 have any? or should I just make some up?
>>
>>49731656
The kind that likes casting spells and not being either a shitty edgelord or snowflake.
>>
I want a conclusive answer. Can a character with Crossbow Expert who is wielding two hands crossbows make an attack with each two turns in a row?
>>
>>49731819
RAW, no.

However, if he has a single hand crossbow, he can make an attack with his action as an Attack Action, and another attack with a Bonus Action.

He must have a hand free to reload, although that reloading is a free action.
>>
>>49731737
I think all the factions have some form of pin or badge that identifies their faction and rank. The zhents also have a passphrase for member identification.
>>
>>49731819

I would say no. The only way I would think to be able to pull that off would be to have some ability that lets you draw and/or stow four or more weapons.
>>
>>49731819
No. It's even in the sageadvice.

Crossbow expert get rid of loading tag, but crossbow still has ammunition tag. As per ammunition tag, you need a free hand to draw your ammo.
>>
>>49731203
My group runs the long rest rules, so it's over night.

Initially I wasn't a fan, but the more we've played with it the more I've liked it, and with a more role play focused campaign it's really come into its own.
>>
>>49731819
Literally 3 second in google

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats
>>
>>49731880
How is that more role play? We run with a 15 minute short rest and we're in a RP heavy campaign
>>
>>49731900
campfire banter? complete with "fade to black" ERP
>>
>>49731926
But, we still have plenty of banter. Like, I want to support you because I think you're having fun, but I can't see how the rest rules are making that happen.
>>
>>49731875
>>49731872
>>49731841
So is there any mechanical downside to wielding one hand crossbow?
>>
>>49731641
My group did the journal thing once. I loved it personally. Idk if anyone else liked it though.
>>
>>49731957
Uh. No? It's the only way that feat works with that weapon. If you wield two, RAW says that you can't. The attacks are the same in number, however, so you're not really breaking anything by doing it either way.
>>
>>49731957

No. Though, if you had crossbow expert and dual wielder, you could:

Start turn with rapier and hand crossbow
Attack
Stow rapier
Reload
Draw rapier

And repeat next turn. At least, I think you can. Feel free to correct me, anyone.
>>
>Barbarian asks me if we can treat his 24 inch pythons as two-handed weapons so he can pretend to be some fighting game Luchador
>Says he'll even take 1d10 instead of 1d12 he would get with a greataxe
>Several hours later I realize he tricked me into giving him two mauls attached to his shoulders that can't be disarmed

Time to have an Umber Hulk bite one arm off and knock that shit down to 1d8.
>>
>>49731957
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the better way to do it, since you don't have to risk dropping the second hand-crossbow next turn?
>>
>>49732031
This isn't 3.5. You can only do 1 object interaction. Dual wielder only allow you to draw or stow two objects at once with that 1 interaction.
>>
>>49732195

I never played 3.5, that's just how I interpreted it, and I wasn't sure if I interpreted it correctly is all.
>>
>>49731900
Not that it gives us more RP, but we have less combat.
>>
>>49732075

Why did you allow this kind of autistic shit in the first place? Now you're just gonna railroad him into dying because you can't balance your game properly? Fuck you.

>>49731926

I remember one time while we were camping I was keeping watch and moved the halfling's arm so that her hand was in the fire. This was after I put drow sleeping poison in her food. She lost most of the hand and I got kicked out of that group but my friend told me later that apparently the DM didn't retcon it so she lost the hand.
>>
>>49731060
Love this! I've also been planning a sort of monster mash one-off for my group, hopefully it pans out alright.

Speaking of, what's a good way of increasing the challenge of hags without making them a coven? Would giving a single hag access to a limited version of the coven spell list work? I'm just looking to give her a little more potential than illusions and psychic damage.
>>
>>49731656
dual wielding while bladesinging is ineffective because it requires 1-2 feats to pull off while bladesinging when you need to cap your dex and int. also BB and GFM are going to get you more consistent and reliable damage
>>
>>49731294
I tried getting into D&D with 4e and felt like there were too many options and the game was structured in a way that left little room for interpretation. It just felt like playing a video game at a table. There was a clear divide between "roleplaying" and "game," so it was difficult to understand why anyone would roleplay at all.

What I like about 5e is that all of the flavor and mechanics are presented as one simple package and most features have an easily understood cause and effect which allows players to then assume how they would realistically interact with the environment. It puts people in the mindset of not looking at numbers, but visualizing what your character is doing within the world.

I also see a lot of shitlords like Adam Koebel complain that the rules are vague, but the only vagueness I've come across are things involving DM fiat. Which, in my opinion, should be vague. Let the DMs do what they want. Unfortunately, my experience with 4e ran into vagueness in its basic mechanics, as I played a Shaman and I couldn't find anywhere on the Internet where people agreed how my pet's MOVEMENT worked.
>>
>>49732075
Why not just treat both hands as one weapon? If one hand is unavailable from being tied, holding something, etc damage is halved.

Something that would disarm him instead breaks a hand making it unusable until it is properly healed.
>>
Does anyone else feel that Adventure League magic item rules are cancerous as fuck? Most of the rules are really good for the format, but in my experience, the magic item rules only promote party infighting and terrible metagame dynamics.

I wish they'd create a system where you could buy uncommons for some of that mountain of gold you get, or trade magic items up or down with gold expenditure from the one getting the higher level item. Come on WOTC, give DM's more flexible choices in what generic +1/+2/+3 items appear to allow for unique character builds. Stop forcing all the characters to fight over the ONLY cloak of protection in the AP and then pepper the party with piles of shit like pipes of the sewers, which no one wants to take for fear of losing access to one of the three legendary items you'll see for 14 levels. The rules actually create scenarios where players don't take cool, but combat useless, magic items because it will hurt them later.

Sorry about the rant.
>>
>>49732547
When did Adam Koebel complain about the vagueness of any game? I've only heard him be up 5e's ass.
>>
>>49732547
>I tried getting into D&D with 4e and felt like there were too many options and the game was structured in a way that left little room for interpretation. It just felt like playing a video game at a table. There was a clear divide between "roleplaying" and "game," so it was difficult to understand why anyone would roleplay at all.
Back when the edition wars were rolling strong, there was a series of images that took the same rules elements from 3rd and 4th edition and swapped their presentation. People could not tell the difference between a 3rd edition feature in a 4e power card and a 4e power written in 3rd edition prose. I like to think that now after everything is said and done that we understand that the main gripe was just that people did not like power cards.
>>
>>49731819
Just give him a repeating crossbow.
>>
File: koopy.png (16KB, 104x99px) Image search: [Google]
koopy.png
16KB, 104x99px
DDAL5-02 and 03 are now in the Mega. Thanks to the kind anon who donated them.
>>
>>49731469

You're forgetting inspirations and ki points
>>
>>49732926
No big deal there.
>>
Reposting and replying from last thread.

My elf Thief character just reached level 10, should I go for stats or a feat?

Stats are 15 Str, 20 Dex, 10 Con, 10 Int, 14 Wis, 14 Cha

Main weapons are a bow and a dagger for throwing, usually end up climbing shit and jumping over shit but I have Athlete feat for that already.

>>49726532
>>49726616

I'm not so sure about just simply raising my Con since I think 1 point wouldn't make much of a difference, I try not to put myself in danger and the party usually pool healing items on me so I can use them on myself/them with my bonus action Use Object and can just continue dishing out damage.

>>49726790

Expertise is Stealth, Acrobatics, Athletic and Sleight of Hand/Disarming Traps/Stealing Shit

In encounters I just take out important targets by dishing out 1d8 + 5d6 + 5 damage w/ Oathbow and continue to hide and dodge shit haha.

I'm loathe to multiclassing, but what spells are good to learn on a Thief? Wouldn't it just have been better to go Arcane Trickster in that case though?
>>
File: tumblr_nz0j15OhpY1rtvhf7o6_1280.jpg (657KB, 1280x1809px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz0j15OhpY1rtvhf7o6_1280.jpg
657KB, 1280x1809px
>>49730770
Last year or the one before I worked in an annual festival that Kenkus celebrate where they dress up and audibly mimic the most horrifying thing they encountered that year. They compete to see who survived the worst. Its basically a house party where elves show up and party hard too. Gourds with ghoul faces and the whole ten yards. Really fun encounter. You can throw it over a forest or urban plot point for flavor and have whatever you want going on deeper in the dungeon!
>>
File: same.png (129KB, 409x513px) Image search: [Google]
same.png
129KB, 409x513px
haven't played in a couple months since my IRL group dissolved since everyone went off to different colleges
feels bad man
i have all my books and my notes and wants for a desert campaign still lingering about, with no one to give to ;_;
>>
>>49733084
If stats means a Con boost, then a feat. Con of +1 would net you 10 HP. The Tough feat would be double that. You don't get the +1 to saves, but you're not a caster so it's not as crucial. Other feats to look at: Lucky, Alert, and Blade Mastery.
>>
>>49733190
Have you considered playing online? Concept sounds interesting, so far. I'd be willing to talk to you a bit, maybe show you how to use roll20 or something.
>>
File: enhanced-5439-1404994014-16.png (689KB, 625x400px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-5439-1404994014-16.png
689KB, 625x400px
So, I'm getting together a harry potter inspired game together for my group and I was wondering if you guys would like to make some suggestions for:

Confiscated magical items students tried to make or smuggle in

Various minor events for the students to encounter (ie bullys in the hallway)
>>
>>49733166
Wizard with a vibrator wins.
>>
>>49731203
I run 30 minute short rests and allow them to do basic exploration while they do so as long as it's not really physical. The downtime doesn't really add anything to the game. I do get more warlock players, though
>>
>>49733318
What about a chocolate bar that, after a piece is broken off, the piece turns into a whole new bar? Great Gertrude's Growth Gateau!
>>
>>49733318
The headmaster of the school starts acting strangely and hasn't left his office in quite some time, but he gets regular visits from some of the female students.
>>
File: 1475758622067.png (412KB, 319x540px) Image search: [Google]
1475758622067.png
412KB, 319x540px
>>49733359
'magic wand'.
>>
I made a darkness/shadow pact for the Warlock, can someone take a look at it?

http://pastebin.com/mBBQj5Mr

I wanted to make a close-range focused patron because I have a hardon for bladelocks.It may have also been inspired by the god Dithmenos from Dungeon Crawl, as I've been playing A LOT of that lately.
>>
>>49733473
Durr. Patron, not pact.
>>
File: MagicItemTables.png (934KB, 593x849px) Image search: [Google]
MagicItemTables.png
934KB, 593x849px
I'm fond of giving my players magic items that have a history instead of generic +1 damage applicators. The pic related tables in the DMG are cool, but I'd like more. Any suggestions for where I could find something like this?
>>
>>49733473
op pls nerf
>>
>>49733516
Your head.Use your imagination.
>>
>>49732624
Something that would disarm him instead dislocates his shoulder, he rolls a dex save, then he rolls at disadvantage. If he wants to be a wrestler he's going to be addicted to pain meds like one too.
>>
>>49733473
Why not just play a bladelock?
>>
>>49733609
With this pact, using your pact blade is actually competitive with using eldritch blast.
>>
>>49733166
dat cute shit
>>
I keep seeing people talk about the D&D Next sorcerer, which got more draconic and bestial as they cast more spells. Does anyone have a PDF of this? I'm interested in it but I can't find it.
>>
>>49733667
Check the 081712 playtest pack in the Mega.
>>
>>49733716
Oh, thanks. I forgot that the Mega had stuff from Next.
>>
>>49731060
Idahoanon here, I updated that a little while ago. Here's the newest, cleaner version.
>>
>>49733420
Damn lusty genie
>>
>>49733516
You can find a lot of random generators online, but I like to look at the location the party got it from or the monster the party just defeated. For example, I had dwarven spells scrolls be copper, silver, or golden plates, instead of vellum or paper. When the party beat a dragon later, the dragons ring of energy protection was dragon sized, and the player who ended up keeping it wore it as a giant bracer.
>>
>>49732308
Wow. You sound like an asshole.
>>
>>49732685
Fuck, I *love* power cards. I make them for 5e. Back when I was running 4e it was for a bunch of newbie friends, so the power cards really helped.
>>
>>49734057
>Fuck, I *love* power cards. I make them for 5e. Back when I was running 4e it was for a bunch of newbie friends, so the power cards really helped

I loved power cards too. So much information in a tiny, neat little box. But it seems like that efficient little box just didn't capture people's imagination that well.
>>
hey i just made this guy, is there anything i should change or add?
>>
Goliath Rogue/Monk with pretty much stats in everything (to match his story and character). His stats would probably end up being akin to a 3.5e Paladin, to match the RP.

He'd be pretty talky and anything related to using the hands (Sleight of hand, etc) including fighting with them would be ideal, such as Grappling I guess.

Even though he walks around with daggers or a sword/dagger, he pretty much uses his hands for most things at all times. So he probably wouldn't be focused on actual weapon fighting if it gimping him too much.

Without the story all of this seems odd, but I think it would be compelling to play it this way.
>>
>>49734122
Suggestions as to how this would work?

Oh and if the DM's don't allow Goliath I'll just make it into a Half-Orc or something. I'm not concerned with their stats or so, just that the characters body and size are logically large.
>>
>>49734204
well a few pointers. the first thing is that grappling in my experience is a bit wonky, the rules that are given are not very good and a less experienced DM might not be able to make it work.
second, i dont know if sneak attack works with unarmed attack but i am inclined to think it does so keep that in mind.
i like the image of a giant dude sneaking up on someone suplexing them and i like the concept of a chatty Goliath so if you think you can pull it off you should do it. .
>>
If someone counterspells GFB or BB does the normal melee attack still occur?

I think it does
>>
>>49734360
No, none of the spell takes effect.
>>
>>49734368
Yeah but the melee attack is not a spell its a component
>>
>>49734245
Sneak Attack wasn't that much on my thoughts really. TL;DR story to make sense of classchoice, I have cut it down as much as possible, doesn't go into detail on his actual story.

His story is that of an Ex Pirate since he was kidnapped as little so he doesn't know anything about his parents. So he grew up having to be ruthless and a shitty dude so something along the lines of chaotic evil, then neutral evil until he grew up a certain age and couldn't stand the shitty life or being paranoid and watching his back constantly.

Then he flees and his life-experiences has started to haunt him because he started getting a consciousness about everything around him and himself and doesn't want to look at peoples faces since he sees himself.

(Most of his life is then as a Rogue 'Pirate' logically, swashing the sees and stealing and learning some skills related to staying out of trouble.)

He finds himself running randomly until he meets up with some monks who take him in (this is pretty stereotypical, this part only) after finding him collapsed on one of their pilgrimages. He spends many years with them and learns how to calm and see the world differently, turning him Lawful Neutral. Thusly he is a Monk at this point. He abandons weapons entirely but carries them around out of habit.

After wandering the world a bit and leaving the Monks with a new outlook, a group of 'good' assassins take him in after he steals some food from their caravan, not knowing who they are but notes his hands are deft and could be sharpened further.

So he becomes a bit of a 'good' assassin/scout/spy person for an organization that hunts corrupt/evil people, training him further in talking and everything required. He however doesn't give up his Monk training, constantly meditating and seeking answers in himself. He then flees the organization since he realizes that being shackled to duty is not what he wants. He travels the world, helping people by talking to them, turning him NG.
>>
>>49734360
Yes, because the melee attack isn't part of the spell, it's a requirement to cast it. It's worded very specifically in the spell description. Notice the 'also' in the wording.
>>
>>49734245
The whole idea on his base character is that he looks intimidating and large to the people that see him but is a complete 180 to what they would expect, offering sage advice and helping them with their inner problems. Yet he is quick for someone so large and uses his hands differently than say a Barbarian/Fighter Goliath would.

He has a tendancy to grapple people to the ground because it's the best way (for him) to end a fight without someone else getting hurt if they need to be subdued. Or if it helps someone else in some way that is required for the deed. He is 'good' so he won't exactly work too well with someone evil but won't mind that person too much at all if they aren't selfish or hurting someone.

So sneaking up on someone and suplexing them is a part of his character, and being closer to a 'bouncer' in terms of what aura he would give away.
>>
>>49734398
how can one be a "good: assassin? do you mean like good at it? it being killing for profit. or do you mean morally upstanding gentlemen who just happen to murder people for a paycheck?
>>
>>49734489
More along the lines of someone working on intelligence servince for a government, but works behind the shadows and take out targets that are dangerous or a threat to many people or a government.

James Bond is one that comes to mind.
>>
>>49734448
>>49734388
>>49734360
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/22/if-my-green-flame-blade-is-counterspelled-do-i-still-get-to-make-a-normal-melee-attack/
>>
>>49734489
A 'Good' aligned assassin would probably be someone that is benevolent and hunts down evil people constantly prolly
>>
>>49734507
ah okay.
why not write up a whole character concept. i mean you seem to know what you want but when you put the pen to paper you can work things out better than you can just speculating it.
>>
>>49734515
Nah I'll allow it
>>
>>49734520
the punisher?
>>
How would you build the fantasy equivalent of a Power Rangers in fifth edition? I was thinking of using Mage Armor for morphing but I got nothing for weapons, zords, or combining into one giant robot.
>>
About the short rest issue earlier, in the thread, I use a version of 4e's milestone system.

>After every two combat encounters your character swells with confidence and renewed vigor. Choose two of the following options. You can pick one option twice unless stated otherwise.
>Gain a single use of a Class Feature that normally requires a Short Rest to recover.
>Recover a use of Wild Shape. This option can only be selected once before you take a Short or Long Rest, no matter how many encounters you complete.
>Recover two Superiority Dice or two uses of Bardic Inspiration. You must have the associated Class Features to use this option.
>Recover Ki points equal to your Level/5, minimum 1.
>Spend a Hit Die to recover HP. This can be selected only once.
>>
>>49734522
It's not speculated, I already have the story written out and it's quite long.

Making him make sense in the world is what I am after, but so far no one has allowed the concept of a Goliath, but I think it's because everyone wants a very VARIED assortment of characters rather than 1-5 Neutral Good people. Even after I suggested Half-Orc.

I've made my character purposefully logical with a clear story attached to it.

The skillset to make sense and him needing to be good at everything related to it would probably make him mediocre balance-wise, but I like the idea of him being chatty as heck and just grapples/pins people for his party to finish them off.

But yeah the important part
>People aren't allowing Goliath or wants a Neutral Good character to keep the roster 'varied', despite them wanting a story to make sense of the race, class and choices.
>>
>>49734533
CG sounds like the punisher more
>>
>>49734561
make him not neutral and add some fluff. like instead of carrying swords and shit have him carry brass knuckles that he never uses because he is attached to the idea of no kill
>>
>>49734515
Eww. That's a weird ruling. As a DM I don't think I'd ever assume that counterspelling a spell that weaves magic into a physical attack would somehow make the physical attack fail.

Still, that's the official ruling, so use that as evidence to sway your DM.
>>
File: Character_e2f110_5847534.jpg (81KB, 736x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Character_e2f110_5847534.jpg
81KB, 736x1300px
Is undying warlock with a component pouch the creepiest class you can play?
>>
File: 1428264420700.jpg (130KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1428264420700.jpg
130KB, 600x750px
>>49734589
no way the creepiest character is an undead Paladin
>>
File: 1323270096100.jpg (191KB, 1096x729px) Image search: [Google]
1323270096100.jpg
191KB, 1096x729px
>>49734589
My group was rather unnerved by my nudist, cannibal druid; I'd imagine that played right, Undying Warlock could just as strange if not more.
>>
>>49734583
Yeah as I said he carries swords or daggers around as a habbit due to his piracy life and being paranoid.

As a Monk he would mostly subdue people or protect someone by holding them down, occassionally suplexing if it's something that deserves to die.

So most of his 'punches' would be more in line with just knocking someone out rather than killing them. Brass Knuckles would make sense to switch in, so I could probably fix that for useful purposes.
>>
>>49732075
Why?
>>
File: 1412725894961.gif (2MB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
1412725894961.gif
2MB, 400x310px
>>49732643
I'm not familiar with Adventurer League or it's rules, but my GM is a stingy faggot with magic items so anything which pertains to people being salty about magic items interests me.
Could you explain what the rules are and why they're bad, or give a link to where I can read the rules and also explain why they're bad?
>>
>>49732643
I only recently started playing at a store and our DM explained the rules when we first found a magic item. I don't really like the rules but I don't know how they'd keep magic items rare and evenly distributed without them.
>>
>>49734113
Add your spell, so we can laugh at them
>>
Sooooo encounter building rules, huh?

What do you think about them?
>>
>>49732653
He isnt into 5e that heavily, his favourite game is Burning Wheel so that should tell you something
>>
>>49735258
Getting rid of XP counts might make them more approachable for some, but it's still cumbersome--and makes no difference to people who are smart and just use kobold.club.

Step 5, with suggestions for random monster personalities and relationships for encounter complications, is great though. I wish it had more of that.
>>
>>49733166
I like this idea a lot. I might have to use it after my group finishes hunting down a hag convent. Give them something to unwind to.
>>
Opinions on Storm King's Thunder? My party just finished PotA and wanna start new characters for a new campaign and I was thinking of doing this one.
>>
Also are Blood Hunter and Pugilist balanced? I don't take my campaigns roleplaying too seriously so as long as they can come up with a semiplausible backstory I don't mind. Just wondering if they do anything gamebreaking.
>>
>>49731203
Holy shit, that's retarded.

Have you never had a Battlemaster or any sort of fighter or a warlock or really anything that gained something of import back on a short rest?
>>
>>49735409
Don't know about blood hunter but last time I checked Pugilist was pretty op
>>
Hey, I'm a huge weeb who wants to make up a hengeyokai race, meaning traditional animal shapeshifters (like actual kitsune, not PF's furry ones.) What do you think of the following abilities?

Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom increases by 2, and one other ability of your choice increases by 1. Hengeyokai are diverse, but most are perceptive and in tune with the natural world due to their bestial nature.
Age: Hengeyokai are indistinguishable from normal animals until they reach 100 years of age, at which point they assume their magical abilities and humanoid form. As such, all playable hengeyokai are at least 100 years of age or older. Hengeyokai are effectively immortal unless killed by injury or disease.
Alignment: Hengeyokai tend toward chaotic alignments, using duplicity to keep their animal forms hidden and mingle into human society. Most are mischievious, but have no real tendency toward either good or evil.
Size: Hengeyokai are medium size in human form, and have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Your base speed in human form is 30 feet. Your speed in animal form depends on the form you choose.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write both Common and Sylvan. Sylvan is the lilting, musical language of Fey and nature spirits, and it is theorized that Elven was derived from in in time immemorial.
>>
>>49735532
Animal Form: A hengeyokai's true form is that of a beast. Choose a beast of CR 1/4 or less; this is your true form, and cannot be changed once chosen. As an action, you can change into your beast form, or from beast form back to human. While in beast form, your game statistics are replaced by those of the beast, with the exception of your mental ability scores, hit points, and ability to speak. This transformation is not perfect; any identifying marks, such as scars or missing limbs, appear on both forms, and your human form often has traces of animal features, such as catlike eyes or a fox's tail. When you transform, your equipment either melds into your animal form or falls to the ground in your space (your choice). When you die, you immediately shift into your animal form if you were in human form, and your equipment falls to the ground in your space.
Speak with Kin: You may speak with beasts similar to your animal form (a crow hengeyokai could speak with birds, or a snake hengeyokai with reptiles, for example). Hengeyokai don't often keep pets, but they do mingle with their animal kin on occasion.
Animal Senses: Even in human form, your animal origins sharpen your senses. You may track or locate a creature or object by scent alone, using Wisdom (Perception or Survival). Additionally, you do not have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks due to dim light.
Duplicitous: You are proficient in the Deception skill.
>>
>>49734113
Consider better flaws. Unless you plan to be actually naive, then thats okish
>>
>>49734587
Yeah, but as someone on Twitter responds, it makes sense from a power level standpoint - a 3rd level spell not properly nullifying a cantrip is stupid.
>>
>>49735376
It's one of the better modules.
If your group made it through PotA, which is generally seen as fairly mediocre (better than the Dragons adventures obviously) you'll enjoy it.
>>
Anyone know if there's a Revenant race port from 4e to 5e? Mainly asking because I want to use this as a NPC that my party will encounter for a Halloween-esque one-shot. The idea so far is:

> Revenant NPC is trying to kill an evil fey creature that killed him and his adventuring party a hundred years ago and reanimated their dead corpses to guard her
> Fey NPC is the sole surviving member of a coven hag that the adventuring party tried to kill
> The PCs will come to town and be told to avoid the forest, the villagers claiming it to be haunted by the spirits of the past that like to come out during this time of the year
> PCs go to investigate, meet the Revenant, potentially fight/subdue him
> Find out about the hag, go deal with the hag
> Once they kill the hag + reanimated corpses, the revenant passes on, thanking the PCs for aiding him in his quest for vengence

I'd be willing to homebrew it myself, just wondering if someone else saved me the trouble.
>>
>>49732877
appreciate you anon (and the one who who donated as well)!
>>
>>49735729
Check out Gothic Heroes UA, attached in case you don't have it.
You use it like a subrace option on top of whatever base race is suitable.
>>
>>49735729
It was in one of the unearthed arcanas. It replaces the subrace of the race the revenant is, and it is immortal up until the point it finishes its mission.

Not sure why you need PC rules for an NPC though.
>>
>>49733880
you rock anon, this is a really solid piece of work. you should think about publishing to the DMsGuild
>>
>>49735778
why don't you just blow him
>>
>>49735783
dude put in some work and made a pretty solid mini adventure! change the formatting, add some art and it'll be even better and he should be able to reap from that.

but you wouldn't know anything about work besides opening your legs you bumbling, assblasted faggot
>>
>>49735755
Because of the lore/history behind the NPC being a revenant of that failed adventuring party, it's just going to be (at most) a level 2 Paladin (the other party members were a Ranger, a Barbarian, and a Sorcerer, also level 2).

I'd planned for the party to fight zombified versions of those three classes (Barbarian can't rage but is a walking meat shield, Sorcerer can only cast cantrips, and Ranger just for a ranged physical dps person) and a Night Hag, but that might be too much, so I could drop it down to a Green Hag.

My group is level 5, the make-up being a Champion Fighter, two Rogues (one a Thief, the other an Assassin), and a Lore Bard.
>>
>>49735818
>but you wouldn't know anything about work besides opening your legs you bumbling, assblasted faggot
woa sounds like you wanna blow me too
>>
>>49735831
help me obiwan canblowme

you're my only hope
>>
>>49735749
Cool, thanks anon.
>>
File: 1474171463476.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1474171463476.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>49735829
>>
>>49735831
damn, you're awfully asstute ;)
>>
http://www.kurtzwater.com/volume-calculator.php

A Fire Elemental is Large so it occupies a 10ft. cube

10ft. long 10ft. high 1ft. thick section of Wall of Water engulfs Fire Elemental

700 gallons = 700 cold damage

Druid wildshaped as Fire Elemental takes 598 excess cold damage, killing them instantly

Y/N
>>
File: 1472099500331.png (83KB, 212x218px) Image search: [Google]
1472099500331.png
83KB, 212x218px
>>49735858
>asstute
>>
>>49735860
RAW, yes.

Personally I'd give the Druid a Wisdom saving throw to react in time so that the moment they feel the water hit their body they drop Wild Shape form (effectively killing the Fire Elemental form) and just take the bludgeoning damage from the Wall of Water in their normal, Druid form.
>>
>>49735860
>>49735884

http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/solidsphere.cgi

Or use Watery Sphere and deal 31334 cold damage
>>
So how viable is a dex focused warrior? Making a guy using a short sword+shield and a bow/crossbow.

My main issue is that I feel my AC will be shit compared to an actual heavy armour asshole. I just don't want a ranger, since he is intended to be this noble brought up in the safety of his massive manor, so all that tracking stuff isn't really fitting.
>>
>>49730819
Been thinking about sorta 4e-ifying 5e. There was a discussion in a thread yesterday that gave me some ideas on how to do the skill scaling, and I was thinking about simply ripping off Strike! character creation for the classes.
>>
>>49735912
>short sword+shield
twf with 2 rapiers
>>
>>49735917
>Been thinking about sorta 4e-ifying 5e.
fuck you
>>
>>49735912
Noble who took geography lessons
>>
>>49735912
>nobles don't hunt

this nigga
>>
I use images of Orlando Bloom for every character. Am I gay?
>>
>>49735943
The fact you're even asking means you might be bi
>>
>>49735926
Well, my ideal game is somewhere between 5e and 4e, so the other alternative is 5e-ifying 4e, but that's too much work. It seems simpler to build the more primitive one up, than tear the more advanced down.
>>
>>49735912

To answer your question, it is very viable. Finesse weapon + Shield is solid if you want to go melee and using ranged weapons with a Dex build is a no-brainer.

As for AC, you should be just fine. You could go with Light Armor and with a shield, you should be looking at 16 AC (assuming Dex Mod of 3). Alternatively, pick up Medium Armor and with a shield you'd be looking at ~ 18 AC.
>>
>>49735962
fuck your ideal game
>>
File: 1475339037012.gif (497KB, 215x168px) Image search: [Google]
1475339037012.gif
497KB, 215x168px
>>49735947
>>
>>49735971
I intend to.
>>
>>49735912
Go rapier, fits with the noble background of you being trained with a "rich man's sword" compared to the "commoner sword" of a shortsword.

I believe if you go Studded Leather + Shield and starting off with a Dex. modifier of 3, you have 17 AC. Get that Dex. to 20 by level 8, it's 19 AC before any magical modifiers come into effect.

Alternatively, you could go Medium Armor to carry you through the lower levels (Scale Mail + Shield with + 2 from Dex. to get 18 AC at level 1) and see how loot drops end up shaking out for you, it might end up being that you wearing something like a +1 Breastplate or Half-Plate gets you to 19 AC, and 20 AC with a +1 Half-Plate.

The main benefit to heavy armor is that you get to (eventually) wear full plate + shield and have 20 AC before +1 gear starts showing up. Though, if you're getting full plate before level 4 without some serious party investment going on, your DM's looking to throw heavy shit your way soon.
>>
>>49736016
> Shortsword
> Commoner
But anon..
>>
File: FemaleGnomeFace01.jpg (206KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
FemaleGnomeFace01.jpg
206KB, 675x1200px
what would you do to her hairless 178 year old gnome pussy
>>
>player wants to play a child/teenage mountain dwarf
Should I lower their scores for being a child, or just go with it?
>>
>>49736346
to be honest, adventurers are considered to be exceptional so i don't see issue in letting them keep their scores.

however if you want to make it more "realistic", you could give them caps on Wis/Int/Str which seem like the three attributes most likely limited by youth
>>
>>49736346
just go with it.
>>
Why are there no finesse bludgeoning weapons? How would you stat a cosh or blackjack?
>>
>>49735749
Hmm this might be great to use as a bait to lure in Dark Soul/Demon Soul fan.
>>
>>49736429
Club.
>>
>>49736346
magical realm
>>
I read through Death House and it's a bit bland. Thoughts on this?
>>
>>49735926
No, Fuck you.
>>49735971
Look man, 4e was one of the only pnp's to understand the whole GAME part of Roleplaying Game. That and it made Martials awesome. Some people like that. You go fuck a bag of fucks.
>>
>>49736567
it sucked and almost killed the brand
>>
>>49735926
>>49736567
>>49736572
Damn, son, why so angry?
>>
File: Lissandri.jpg (409KB, 1492x1048px) Image search: [Google]
Lissandri.jpg
409KB, 1492x1048px
Please rate this goddess I made for our Forgotten Realms setting. She is a goddess specifically for Half-elves.

New Goddess: Lissandri
Origin: The half-elven daughter of Corellon Larethian and the goddess Sune. Revealed following the events of the Sundering.

Titles: Lady of Song, The Laughing Lady
Power Level: Lesser Diety
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Symbol: A red rose held in a pale, feminine hand
Home Plane: Brightwater
Realm: The Rosarium
Serves: Sune
Church Headquarters: The Crossroads Cathedral, Avondale
Portfolio: Half-elves, wanderers, the arts, gardening
Domains Life, Light
Worshipers: Half-elves, wanderers, travelers, poets, bards, gardeners
Worshiper Alignments: Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral
Favored Weapon: Fleuret (rapier)
Holy day(s): Greengrass, Midsummer

Other Details: Based out of the Crossroads Cathedral in Avondale, the newly-founded faith of Lissandri is popular among half-elves, wanderers, gardeners and those who favor the arts. An all-female order of valor bards wander Faerûn, spreading their faith, singing songs, planting flowers and doing good deeds in the name of the goddess. An order of all-male knight-errants have also formed, seeking to prove their courtly love of the goddess through heroic deeds and knightly duels. The Crossroads Cathedral is surrounded by an enormous garden that hosts exotic plants and flowers gathered by half-elf wanderers from all over Toril. Avondale, located in the forests northeast of Shadowdale, is the center of the faith. Clerics of Lissandri, who often multiclass as bards, pray for spells at sunrise, calling out to the Lady with a song of praise, which is also sung during times of great happiness or upon witness something beautiful or inspiring. Followers of the Goddess are highly sought-after traveling companions who are often praised for the “luck” they bring with them on the open road.
>>
>>49736572
That argument is just tired, and honestly only partially true. The brand was already dying, and was already dead for many of us old grogs who hated everything about 3.x. I hadn't played Dnd in like 6 years when 4e came out.
>>
>>49736613
>The brand was already dying, and was already dead for many of us old grogs who hated everything about 3.x.
>PF is way bigger than 4e ever was
>5e is way bigger than 4e ever was
>4e wasn't in danger of killing the brand
You're stupid
>>
>>49736625
WotC killed the brand, retard. It wasn't exactly 4th edition's fault. The game and mechanics are solid, and after the math fixes it worked very well. The focus on minis and cards and all that nonsense was purely WotC's cash grab.
>>
>>49736664
>It wasn't exactly 4th edition's fault
it was
>>
>>49736613
>partially true
>>49736664
>wasn't exactly
just admit it sucks, fag
>>
So Moon Druid is the only class that regularly get "updated" in 5e? They get female steeder form in OotA, Crag Cat form in SKT... and probably a few more form in the upcoming Volo guide.
>>
>>49730770
My favorite weapon is a legendary greatsword named the Masamune. +3, and to attune to it you had to kill someone of your alignment.

Even though my paladin was indeed Lawful Good I did end up killing someone with it, not that it was up to them. Throughout the story it gained and lost power. It was at its most powerful when it did d8 radiant with attacks, which combined with my improved divine smite for 2d8.
>>
File: 1474309747048.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1474309747048.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
>>49736782
>Masamune
>>
>>49736778
Technically yeah, but adding another beast that just so happens to be wild shapeable isn't what I call an update.
>>
>>49736787
Yeah it was a full on weab story but it was still the best one I've ever played.
>>
Why wouldn't Druid make the best thief or black ops?

> can go through any door or crack
> can spy and go through the house without arousing suspicious
> can instantly hide anything by wild shaping
> has spell that make them untraceable by mundane method
> has form that make them untraceable by magic
>>
File: 1447764223778.jpg (143KB, 791x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1447764223778.jpg
143KB, 791x1024px
>drow
>supposed to be powerful wizards and clerics
>get +1 cha instead since they're sexy
I'm not sure why this even surprises me.
>>
>>49736804
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1NgVizTgTk9
>>
>>49736016
Cool, sounds like a solid idea.

We use an array of 18-16-14-12-10-8, so I can actually start at 18, and since I plan on using a variant human, I can get off a solid start.

>>49735932
...No.

>>49735939
He did. In his garten, on horses with hunting dogs, against foxes with 0 foliage to hide in.

He isn't exactly "ranger" material.
>>
>>49736908
>not playing Napoleon
Fag.
>>
>>49736824
>>49736824
ofc it shouldnt surprise you

when has wizbro ever shown any respect to the lore?

remember the 3.fail attempts at faerun or planescape?
>>
File: 1460245128757.png (228KB, 358x408px) Image search: [Google]
1460245128757.png
228KB, 358x408px
A player is asking if he can custom order a battleaxe with the finesse quality from a shop. We're currently in a Human capital city so availability isn't really a problem.

His started out with his character as a dex build intending to use a rapier but his character ended up heading in a different direction after spending some time with a lumberjack guild.

I'm not against in on general principle but it doesn't make enough sense in my head to really want to allow it.

Is their any enchantment that has this effect or maybe some flavor justification for why this fucking axe is using the dex mod instead of STR?
>>
>>49737045
Being a good lumberjack involves accuracy as much as strength--probably more, even. Any meathead can knock over a tree, given enough time, but it takes precise, skillful cuts to knock over a tree so that it falls in the direction you want instead of squishing your house/camp/tractor.
>>
>>49737045
There is precedence for a weapon gaining the finesse property, the sun sword is one. The Elven moonblade can gain the finesse property. You can go with what >>49737069 said.

Or you can make it an uncommon magic item. No +1 just the finesse property, though it depends on yoir campaign if you want someone to pay extra for sow thing someone else gets for much cheaper.
>>
>>49737045
The way I've thought about finesse weapons that you used them to strike specific points with pinpoint accuracy, but then again scimitars are finesse too so whatever.

Just have a mage slap an enchantment on it that makes it really easy to use or something. I suppose as long as you don't let them use it 2 handed for the d10 damage it shouldn't be any more powerful than a rapier.
>>
>>49737045
D&D's division between Strength and Agility is fucking stupid, and that's even before we start rolling manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination into the same fucking stat that governs tumbling and sneaking. Acrobatics doesn't involve strength at all? Athletes don't need to be coordinated?

Worrying about "making sense" of D&D is a lost cause. Let the dude use an axe instead of a rapier if his character has a fucking good IC justification for it. You're giving him what? 1d10 instead of 1d8 damage? A whole fucking plus one point of damage?
>>
>>49737127
>Just have a mage slap an enchantment on it that makes it really easy to use or something.

Sure, it takes fucking MAGIC to be accurate with a weapon.

>I suppose as long as you don't let them use it 2 handed for the d10 damage it shouldn't be any more powerful than a rapier.

Hold the phone! One-dee-fucking-ten damage? Clearly fucking broken, nerf this player entitlement bullshit please!
>>
>>49737199
It's not like dex is already good or anything...
>>
>>49737199
I'm sure there's some reason why there aren't any two handed finesse weapons, but you're free to use your own house rules, of course.
>>
>>49737045
Make it mithril, have them pay +1 or double silvered price
>>
>>49737230
>I'm sure there's some reason why

This implies that Mearls and Co. had any reason for writing the rules they did beyond "tradition" and "gut feeling" when they have said exactly the opposite.
>>
You know, I find it rather funny having a talk about magical enchantments to use a weapon with "Finesse".

I generally let people use whatever they want, matching fluff. I stick to existing statlines, but if people want a Greatsword with Finesse, sure, take greatsword with finesse.

I use weight a lot in my games, so it means a lot if a weapon weights 2lb. or 6lb, especially if you have 10 or less strength, and don't even think about running around in full plate with 10 strength.

Of course, I also try to put a heavy emphasis on making strength a worthwhile contender to Dex, so I make sure to make it relevant as often as I can.

But I also wont just disregard people who want an agile character. Concept >>>>>> Core rules.
>>
>>49737230
Because using two hands must mean you are using strength instead of dexterity?

Care to explain this kind of logic to me, because that seems completely retarded at first glance. In fact, I find it rather odd that two-handed for +1 die size isn't a more common rule among weapons. Who hasn't seen the "holds a dagger in two hands to help the dagger punch through the opening" manuevre?
>>
>>49737322
Because you're using two hands to swing harder?
>>
>>49737322
>I find it rather odd that two-handed for +1 die size isn't a more common rule among weapons
Not to mention the fact that +1 die size means literally in literally any situation.

It is an average of +1, and at best, +2, and the chance of scoring the +2 drops drastically the larger the die becomes, making it even more pointless.

We have a barbarian with 20 strength using a Mace and a Shortsword (GM is keeping us poor early game), and he just let the paladin grab the longsword, because he honestly didn't give a shit about that +1 die size. Woo, +1 average damage, meanwhile he'll be dishing out +5 damage on every single attack anyway.

He has considering dual whips because why the fuck not, the die has so little impact on your actual damage that it doesn't matter anyway, and reach would be far more useful than 1d6 damage.

>>49737363
Or using two hands to better guide the blow?
>>
>>49737399
>whip
I...

I literally just noticed this weapon was a thing.

I need this. Any good way to run a whip using Belmont type of guy?

Not sure what class either, but it just sounds funny.
>>
>>49737279
It was supposed to be kind of funny, but I guess it's too late to say that. There could be tons of explanations why something works differently from what it says in the rules, "a wizard did it" is just the simplest one.

>>49737322
I'm assuming it has something to do with the way it interacts with feats and fighting styles relevant to fighting with two handed weapons, and they wanted to strength have its own thing so it wouldn't be completely overshadowed by dexterity. Of course, the way strength works IS completely retarded if you compare it to real life.

I think I'll stop replying now.
>>
>>49737417
>I think I'll stop replying now.

your posts are valuable, because they prompted good discussion

if YOU (yes, that means you at home too) were to balance STR and DEX, how would you do it?
>>
>>49730770
A fellow PC, at the start of EVERY battle spends about 5 minutes rolling perception checks and asking the dm if he "notices any weaknesses or knows of a damage type the monster is vulnerable to"

Is this normal?
I feel like it breaks immersion for a climactic battle to begin then suddenly to have someone stop everything and start rolling checks for metagame number crunching instead of discovering the weaknesses themselves or using actual logic.

I haven't said anything about it, and it's really only one person doing it desu. He also has the propensity to get sloppy drunk, take 15 minute (no exaggeration) turns, then spend everyone else's turns trying to talk over them, asking the dm if he can do this or that.

Sober he's a good player but he still does an unreal amount of metagaming. Do you guys worry about this sort of thing or am I just being a little bitch?
>>
>>49737460
Make sure you make Strength matter.

Don't let people use acrobatics instead of athlethics, and make them keep track of their encumberance. Penalize them for carrying more than they can, or wearing too heavy armour, or wielding heavy weapons.

My last group has this munchkin faggot building a Warrior with 7 strength and 20 dex, and he was surprised when his pencil elf got penalties for wearing a halfplate, two schimitars and a fucking heavy crossbow. That's 64lb, and the rules explicitly say that your encumberance is 15*Strength - Care to guess how quickly he hit that 105 cap with everything else he was carrying?
>>
>>49737467
>I feel like it breaks immersion for a climactic battle to begin then suddenly to have someone stop everything and start rolling checks for metagame number crunching instead of discovering the weaknesses themselves or using actual logic.
>>49737467
>at the start of EVERY battle spends about 5 minutes rolling perception checks and asking the dm if he "notices any weaknesses or knows of a damage type the monster is vulnerable to"
M8.

Rolling for your knowledge on a certain type of foe is not metagaming, that's checking if the characters know about this sort of opponent.
>Instead of using actual logic
Rolling dice is the players way of checking if the character can logically figure it out. If you are sitting there thinking "This enemy is probably weak against piercing, so my character switches to that", then that's you metagaming. Rolling die is as far from metagaming as you get in this sort of situation.
>>
Might be a stupid question, but I want to double check:

Monk level 9, Unarmored Movement improvement says that I can move along vertical and liquid surfaces without falling. Can I end my turn standing horizontally on a wall ala Spider-Man? And the second question, does this count as climbing, and if so, does that mean it costs double movement?
>>
4e has better combat and character customization. Also better balance.

5e has better out of combat gameplay.

Combine the two and you'd get the best edition of dnd yet.
>>
>>49737467
>I feel like it breaks immersion for a climactic battle to begin then suddenly to have someone stop everything and start rolling checks for metagame number crunching instead of discovering the weaknesses themselves or using actual logic.

...wouldn't that BE discovering the weaknesses themselves? Since they are rolling checks for it?
>>
>>49737513
This is the right way to do it. I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to encumbrance; I actually use the encumbrance variant in the PHB, and I force them to keep track of coin weight.

Yes, I am somewhat of an evil DM, but that's what they wanted.

>>49737546
I've always been of the opinion that a player may not be as smart as their character would be, so usually allow rolls and give hints as needed to cover that. I do require them to try, however.

>>49737564
Respectfully disagree! 4e combat, while fairly tactical, felt too regimented and took far too long. In addition, beyond the PHB Ranger--now fixed to my satisfaction with the UA + a couple tweaks--the balance of 5e is better, because there are no trap options (I'm looking at you, O-Assassin).
>>
>>49737513
>make them keep track of their encumberance. Penalize them for carrying more than they can, or wearing too heavy armour, or wielding heavy weapons.

This is a fucking terrible solution, because it does nothing to reward high Strength, and only penalizes low Strength, and only in the most annoying way possible--bookkeeping.

The super strong barbarian isn't going to feel awesome when he gets saddled with carrying the party's rucksacks, and the agile thief isn't going to feel like he made any deliberate sacrifices when he can't carry both his weapons.
>>
>>49737552
It says you don't fall during movement, so I'd rule that you have to move and that if you don't continue moving next turn you'll fall.
I'd also rule that it doesn't count as climbing, as it's more like running up the wall.
Looking at the ability thematically I think the intention is fairly clear - basically free running, but the martial arts movie kind so it's less limited.
>>
>>49737593
>there are no trap options (I'm looking at you, O-Assassin)

O-Assassin was still functional as a striker, and even had an interesting Strength build. It was no more a trap than a 4Elements Monk or an Assassin Rogue in 5e.
>>
>>49737593
>This is the right way to do it. I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to encumbrance; I actually use the encumbrance variant in the PHB, and I force them to keep track of coin weight.
>Yes, I am somewhat of an evil DM, but that's what they wanted.
That's not evil, that's being reasonable.

I always hated the "I have 50000 gold coins on me, but they are just weightless and takes up no space lol" practice that has popped up. Likely because of games not giving a shit, and teaching players that this is okay.

I always keep track of it, GM or player, even my GM does not. I don't care if he let's us carry 50.000 lb on us, I am not going to do that shit, and I also wont be carrying an arsenal of weapons around with me either.

This one time my players rescued a group of mercenaries from a dungeon, and then 1 guy immediately supplied all 22 with sword and shield, from his pockets, has kinda made me an asshole regarding this.
>>
>>49737633

That's pretty much what I thought as well, but I wanted to make sure.

Would you find it acceptable for a monk to run up a wall, fall "prone" on the wall near the end of his movement and change from running up the wall to climbing it, so that he could end his turn attached to the wall?
>>
>>49737616
>the agile thief isn't going to feel like he made any deliberate sacrifices when he can't carry both his weapons.
What?

This sentence makes no sense, unless you forgot to add "Because the agile thief is also completely retarded"

He can't carry both of his weapons because he went with a super low strength. He is weaker than a fucking child, if he didn't realize this was a weakness, then he is a fucking idiot.

And claiming it isn't "deliberate" is equally retarded - What, he accidentially lowered on stat in favour of another? Don't be dumb.
>>
>>49737593
>and I force them to keep track of coin weight.

...do people not? It's the easiest thing in the world since all coins magically have the same weight regardless of metal used.

x ÷ 50 = weight of coins carried, where X is the number of coins you possess. Ta-da...

>I do require them to try, however.

I think spending 5 minutes or so seems like a lot of time for what should be a simple Nature or Perception check (or maybe Arcana or something, depending on the creature; the point being that it shouldn't be taking that much time)
>>
>>49737668
Players will very reasonably expect to be able to use the starting gear their class and background gives them.
>>
>>49737690
Then players should also have reasonable attributes to use that gear.

That's like saying a Paladin should always be able to wear his armour and everything, even if his strength is fucking 3.

If you are reasonable, then your GM will be too. If you are being super unreasonable, you can't expect your GM to be reasonable about what you are allowed to use.
>>
>>49737593
>No trap options

Champion fighter, berserker barbarian, wot4e monk, bladelock, sorcerer all respectfully disagree.

Additionally, 5e brought the martial/caster gap back, albeit reduced from 3.pf days.
>>
>>49737415
With no homebrew you can Ranger Hunter's Mark whip twice with colossus slayer. That can do some alright damage.

With homebrew I can make it a d6 without issue. Maybe get a whip feat. Should be able to be done.
>>
While I haven't DMed a situation where someone tried to do everything with extremely low strength, I have played a couple characters with 8 strength, and I found I had trouble with enemies who auto-grappled on hit. That's a surefire way to make you regret those noodle arms.
>>
>>49737655
Personally, no.
My precedent being that falling prone while flying means you fall, so I'd say this does too.
>>
>>49737690
If they're playing a Rogue, an 8 Strength (120 lb carrying capacity) will allow them to carry all their starting gear (everything except the pack totals 17 lb., and the pack itself cannot possibly total 103 lbs.).

If you have lower than 8 Strength then you know for a fact that you are gimping yourself and should accept the consequences.
>>
>>49737646
Did you ever try to play an O-Assassin? God, it was horrible..."Hey, I'm gonna spend a lot of time building up my damage..oh, it's dead already..."

Assassin Rogue is fine, if you're a clever player (I played one from 1-17, was awesome).

>>49737682
Ironically, I'm in a game where the DM does not (even though I do myself).

>>49737731
How many of those have you played? Respectfully, of course.

Wot4E Monk was fine; I had a player in my Runelords Conversion that played it from 8-20 (we switched over from PF at that point, since the game went to every other week and we needed speed).

Berserker Barbarian was awesome in that game, too; Iya killed lots of things and was very angry.

Sorcerer, in another game, was from 5-20, and the player was very happy with how it turned out.

Anecdotes, all, of course, but at least in my experience, there's been no issues (other than Beastmaster Ranger, of course, but UA made that better).
>>
Should half orc and half elf even exist as sperate categories? Where does that put dwarf/human hybrids, something that would be far more common in most setting's
>>
>>49737552
It's a very similar wording to spider climb, so I'd probably rule that yes, you have chakra in your feet, and we Naruto now.
>>
>>49737731
The thing is that they're not trap options, even the 4-Elements Monk. A champion fighter or berserker barbarian is boring but he'll certainly be able to meaningfully contribute to fights. They're not "as good" as other choices but they are not really "bad" ones. Least of all the Sorcerer, who's only real flaw is not being the Wizard.
>>
>>49737785

Not who you are talking to but I've played a Wot4e monk. It's a pale shadow of a 4e monk and even a pale shadow of the other 5e monks. You have such a tiny tank of resources for abilities that the spellcasters are doing better than you anyway.
>>
>>49737805
Why do people always pretend meaningful contributions to fights are the only relevant things classes can do? The game is two thirds not fights, officially at least. If your class is only good at combat, it's a trap option in a game with out of combat stuff.
>>
>>49737801
Derro. They're called derro, if you care to look up the backstory to how derro came about.

But mostly what it means is that you need to come up with distinct stats for a dwarf/human hybrid.

Have some derro stats.
>>
File: 1475807305898.jpg (59KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475807305898.jpg
59KB, 919x720px
>>49737731
>sorcerer
>champion fighter
>berserker barbarian
>still complaining about caster/martial gap in an edition where martials can actually outclass casters
>>
>>49737801
In my setting, humans can breed with most other races (except gnomes and halflings, for lore reasons). Makes for interesting conversations, since Dwarves don't like to acknowledge half-dwarves, and they can't learn the Holy Dwarven Language under pain of death.
>>
>>49737803

Was going more for Spider-Man than Naruto. Really, really not Naruto. Making me cringe here man.
>>
>>49737785
>Did you ever try to play an O-Assassin? God, it was horrible..."Hey, I'm gonna spend a lot of time building up my damage..oh, it's dead already..."

You can immediately blow your marks up, making it function like a normal striker feature. The only time shit should go to waste is if you have some multi-stacking going on, or you don't need the damage because you kill with your attack, or you miss and someone else kills him (and there's a feat to transfer them anyway).

It was not a good feature, but it was okay.
>>
>>49737839
This is, presumably, what your background is for; that or creatively using your extant abilities. Besides which, it's not like the Battle Master fighter is much good when not swinging his sword, either, yet no one says that is a "trap" option.
>>
>>49737801
No.

Half-* shouldn't exist, it serves no purpose other than Disney plot-lines and rape undertones.
>>
>>49737851
In damage.

They could do that back in 3.5 as well you know.
>>
>>49737851
At this point I have to assume that most of 5eg are the stereotypical murder hobos, running from town to town, whose first instinct in every situation is to whip out their sworddicks.

Because forgetting that non combat scenarios exist and are the reason martials are objectively worse in this edition is an all too common mistake.

I pity your DMs.
>>
>>49737564
>5e has better out of combat gameplay.

What the fuck can you do out of combat you can't in 4e?

Oh right, make martials redundant with your caster.
>>
>>49737896

God, I WISH they'd given non-spellcasters something shiny like rituals or just...any non-combat features.

It doesn't help that Strength and Con are the most worthless out of combat stats because so few things are tied to them (Con moreso than Strength but both are rather narrow). While Int/Wis/Cha have many fun things to do outside of combat.
>>
>>49737874
Yeah...I tried it. Ended up retiring the character and bringing in a straight up Crossbow Rogue. Life was better.

>>49737896
The irony of this statement is the most effective social character in my last game was a rogue. Not even an arcane trickster, just a clever player. Kept copious notes, learned the world, and used it against the NPCs to get what he wanted. It was great...
>>
File: 714244.jpg (248KB, 1470x544px) Image search: [Google]
714244.jpg
248KB, 1470x544px
>>49737886
Are you talking shit about the Mouse?

You do not talk shit about the Mouse, son.
>>
>>49737896
see

>>49737930

Just because you can't make people instantly friends with you doesn't mean you can't social.

Plus, martials are going to be better at exploration without wasting the caster's resources that make them at-all useful in combat.
>>
>>49737896
As a DM, my experience is that it's almost always the Dungeonmaster who encourages that behaviour.

I've met a lot of DM's who plan out 'combat encounters' rather than 'encounters' and make the players roll for initiative as soon as there's any tension whatsoever.

When you start doing reaction rolls, giving the players a chance to parlay with monsters or bandits or whatever rather than immediately starting combat, they become a lot less murderous. ESPECIALLY when you inform them that so long as they resolve the encounter, they get full XP. Even in combat, if something gets away, they still get the XP.

People shouldn't put all the blame on the players for being murderhobos. At least 50% if not more of the burden should be put on the DM for framing everything in the context of combat.
>>
>>49737876
Fun fact, I have yet to see a player want to kill their character in my lgs while playing a battlemaster, but I have seen character suicides on both champion fighters and berserker barbarians. Probably because the gameplay for a battlemaster is slightly more complex than "well, I stand in place and hit it again".
>>
>>49737949
It helps to have a really good group, which I am fortunate to have...
>>
>>49737951
I'm planning on running Out of the Abyss in such a way that the only times the players MUST throw a punch are encounters with hungry beasts with no intention or ability to negotiate and during the final fight with Demogorgon (or whoever ends up being the final demon lord).

Because, looking over how Out of the Abyss is set up, that is surprisingly possible.
>>
>>49737930
I actually think rogues are the only martials on par with casters. That doesn't fix paladins, rangers, monks, fighters, and barbarians though.

And the caster skillmonkey is better.
>>
>>49737801
I replace "Half-Orc" with just "Orc". You are just a big Orc.
>>
>>49737648
>and then 1 guy immediately supplied all 22 with sword and shield, from his pockets, has kinda made me an asshole regarding this.

Hahahaha oh shit.

How did it go down? Did you react then and there?
>>
File: 1445219161142.png (327KB, 1314x1530px) Image search: [Google]
1445219161142.png
327KB, 1314x1530px
>>49737886
What's wrong with Disney plot-lines?
>>
>>49737977
You should always take a moment to examine the following for an encounter:

1. The primary motivation for the encounter
2. What both sides of the encounter want out of it
3. How far the non-player side is willing to go

Once you have these three things in mind, encounters are much easier to handle. Resolution of an encounter by violence is still something the players might jump to, and that's not a bad thing, but it shouldn't be 99% of encounters.
>>
>>49737949
>Plus, martials are going to be better at exploration

Wait...how? Both casters and martials without spells are sitting on 'Roll skills' which they (Outside of Rogues and Bards, one caster and one non-caster) are equal at.
>>
>>49738027
The thing is that martials tend to invest their skill training in physical skills that actually make them better explorers (Stealth, Athletics, etc.), whereas casters tend to invest their skill training in mental skills that make them worse explorers (Arcana, Medicine, etc.)
>>
>>49738045
The thing is casters can invest their skills in whatever. You can't argue tendencies when both types have equal access through backgrounds.
>>
>>49737990
Eh. Feeling like you lack options is a player issue, at least in my experience. It doesn't stop you from trying anything, even if you can't cast spells to make it easier on you.

In my Runelords game, the barbarian berserker actually interrogated a mark in a very fitting way--a drinking contest.

The Monk was the Rogue's partner, and together they robbed several jewelry stores that were smuggling Thassilonian artifacts out of the city to sell elsewhere, all working for the murder-cult.

I've never had someone play a Paladin in my games, before. Same with Rangers and Fighters, although I might get a Ranger in an upcoming game because it's major focus is exploration and survival.
>>
>>49738045

That's purely choice, rather than actually making them better though.
>>
>>49738045
>not using Arcana to discover the magical clues of the dungeon
>not using Religion to identify the purpose of the temple
>not using Insight to solve the riddle of the tomb
>not using Investigation to figure out the events of the torn-up antechamber
>not using Nature to realize the flora of the ravine
>not using Deception to trick the guardian spirit of the necropolis
>not using Persuasion to convince the denizens you are here to help them

lol how do Int and Wis or even Cha skills making you a "worse explorer"
like how does the ability to do those checks hinder you
>>
>>49738074
In some ways it is a player issue, in some ways it is a dm issue. But that's a vacuous statement, true of every problem in this hobby. And ignores that in some ways it is a system issue.

If you're not going to post anything other than truisms and anecdotes, just stop posting.
>>
>>49730926

The 'Death House' ending strikes me as... unfulfilling.
>>
Anon-san! Anon-san! How was your last session?
I hope you have fun
>>
>>49738131
Because what are you gonna do when you have to jump across a 15-foot chasm?

You and I evidently have somewhat different understanding of "exploration".
>>
>>49738155
Well, my Illusion Wizard can just conjure a fucking bridge out of light and walk across.
>>
>>49738155
Rope and Grappling hook?
>>
>>49738155
>>49738155
Well my warlock can just levitate at will and float across.
>>
>>49738155

Well, Perception is about the most important skill for exploration in the game. I mean, it's hardly exploration if you can't find anything. So that puts Wis as one of the most important stats on that front.
>>
>>49738154

I had an anxiety attack cause I kept thinking about the scene in Visitor Q where the guy rapes the dead body and... well let's leave it at that.

But it was pretty cool our DM had us fight 5 young chromatic dragons who had a grudge on us all at once.
>>
>>49738155
Jump is a 1st level spell. Even a shitty athlete can clear a 15ft gap if their ability to jump is tripled.
>>
>>49738155
Roll Investigation to discover the secret lever that activates the bridge.
>>
>>49738139
In reality, everything that is posted on this board are anecdotes and truisms. Not a single one of us can post irrevocable proof that there is an issue with the system, because its all our perception of the system, rather than the system itself. Which is funny, because this means that all you can post are anecdotes and truisms, isn't it?
>>
>>49738155

Use Mage Hand to tie a rope to the other side
>>
>>49738185
Thats kinda his point. Even a 1st level spell is a resource. I dont agree with the idea that martials are strictly better than casters at exploring, but they do have an slight upper hand when it comes to some types of wilderness/exploration encounters.
>>
>>49738198
I don't think you know what the word truism means, or irrevocable, for that matter.
>>
>>49738220
I guess it just depends on how many Athletics checks the DM keeps throwing at you.
>>
>>49738220
And if that is his point, it represents a goal post shift.

Casters and martials have equal access to the skill system. They're both just as good as the other at using the skill system to solve problems, generally speaking.
>>
>>49738220
If a caster has a resource but chooses to save it for combat rather than expend it for exploration then yes, they are worse than a martial. The flexibility of having resources that can be expended like this, however, does not make them inherently worse at being explorers I would argue.

It's simple resource management, and weighing the cost/benefit of using a spell slot on Jump vs saving it for Magic Missile later. The Martial does not need to worry about this management, but they also do not have the flexibility of spells.

If you're comparing the two in a situation where the caster will never expend their resources, then of course the martial will come out on top.

That's like saying that the martials are ALWAYS better in combat than a caster because the caster can't spend their spell slots on combat spells because they might need to blow all of them on Jump spells later. It's unreasonable to make that assumption, because the context of the situation is so important.
>>
>>49738249
>Athletics
And whether or not the GM is dumb enough to let people use Acrobatics, which is tied to a stat people generally never have less than 14 in.
>>
I really have to question the sanity of anyone who would argue caster vs martial nonsense. I got tired of it after about a minute, I think, but some of you literal psychopaths have been arguing this shit for years? Get a fucking grip, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>49738233
Truism: a statement that is obviously true and says nothing new or interesting.

Irrevocable: not able to be changed, reversed, or recovered; final.

Do you know what they mean? How exactly have any of your posts not been either of those things?
>>
>>49738307
Yeah. I just enjoy poking fun at people. Call me a sadist.

About the only reason I come here anymore...
>>
>>49738309
Nope, you silly goose.
>>
>>49738307
I just want to get ideas for a 4.5e project I'm working on, and reading everyone's opinions on exactly why casters are objectively superior is enlightening and helpful.
>>
>>49738307
Yeah it's argued about way too much on here. I must admit though, I occasionally join in on the debate out of boredom and find it mildly entertaining, plus usually I'll come up with some interesting character builds while debating.
>>
>>49738360
>4.5e
ewwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>49738399

I can't really find it entertaining when it all comes down to "DM didn't punish me for overusing my resources." Just bad play, really.
>>
>>49738410
Your opinion is noted and discarded. 4e was great.
>>
File: 1475660204724.jpg (15KB, 128x201px) Image search: [Google]
1475660204724.jpg
15KB, 128x201px
>>49738414
>4e was great.
naw it's the black sheep of the dnd family
>>
>>49738414
I think every edition has been great and represents a needed evolution in the industry every time. I love a lot of other games more than D&D, but I always laugh at people claiming D&D is ever anything but a great game.
>>
>>49738433
It was fun and interesting. The biggest complaint was that autists didn't know how to roleplay if the game didn't tell them to.
>>
>>49738456
I can't wait for 6e to abandon the d20 and adopt narrative dice. The 3.5 cucks who complained about 4e will be so asspained their collective sphincters tightening could power another serious space program if we could harness the energy.
>>
>>49738433
4e was great.

Until we got something faster, more fun, and just all around better.

>>49738484
Explain. Narrative dice?
>>
File: 81Zgv2hxG-L[1].jpg (328KB, 1264x1665px) Image search: [Google]
81Zgv2hxG-L[1].jpg
328KB, 1264x1665px
Why did they have to put this shit art on the cover of the god damn Players Handbook.

This book is all about how to make a cool adventurer from a bunch of race class spell options, why not put like a whole team of diverse heroes on the cover?

Why put a big dinosaur giant on it.
Is this the Giant game? Do you play as a giant in a big red cave? Everyone is going to have a copy of this book, are we all playing as this same Giant?
Oh wait if you squint you kind kind of make out something that looks like a little jumping person, or some shadow of a dude in the corner, actually you play as those guys, not the Giant Monster in the middle.

At least the DMG shows a super evil lich on the front, spot on.
The MM shows a beholder, fine.
I don't get why thy failed so hard for the PHB.
>>
>>49738493
The most popular example of narrative dice would be ffgs star wars line. There are attuned pretty good descriptions of it on blogs, better than I could provide on this phone.
>>
>>49738508
Ah, yes. I've wanted to try them out, but haven't had the opportunity, as all my players want is fantasy. I'd love some sci-fi, even if my personal tastes run closer to things like Eclipse Phase or Stars Without Number.

However, Sacred Cow of the d20 won't be going away. In truth, I actually enjoy the swinginess of it; it feels like home, its fun and comfortable, even if it sometimes goes batshit crazy.

It's like being married, if you catch my drift.
>>
File: ffg-star-wars-dicepool[1].jpg (182KB, 1200x584px) Image search: [Google]
ffg-star-wars-dicepool[1].jpg
182KB, 1200x584px
>>49738508
Yikes
>>
>>49738542
...I instantly hate the system. I do not want to have to memorize what the different symbols mean.
>>
>>49738493
>>49738542
>>49738536
They actually work pretty fast and well, after your players adjust.
>>
>>49738495

So all the turbonerds and the autists would spend a billion gold pisses in the Variant cover
>>
>>49738484
Things I want from the next edition:

Ditch the Ability Score / Ability Modifier split. Use a single number as the score and the modifier.

Maintain the current, rough level of martial/caster balance. It feels pretty good in 5e.

Provided a better DMG to help new DM's understand their job better. The PHB is pretty good, but the DMG is weirdly organized and cluttered with useless information.

Either make weapons fall into categories or give each one a -real- upside so that you don't end up with only 3-4 viable weapons. I'm tired of longswords, rapiers and greatswords being the only weapons that are easily viable.
>>
>>49738580
See something like this is perfect for a PHB.
>>
>>49738592
>Ditch the Ability Score / Ability Modifier split. Use a single number as the score and the modifier.

I want to go the other way and make having an even/odd thing actually matter. Like, every even increase to a score adds to skills and attacks, and every odd increase adds to saves and other "passives" (like AC). So...

10 Dex = no modifier
11 = +1 AC, +1 Dex save
12 = +1 Dex-based skills and attacks
13 = +2 AC, +2 Dex saves
14 = +2 Dex-based skills and attacks
etc.
>>
>>49738592
>Shit advice that ignores how 3rd properly used the split to great effect
>Obvious troll
>Vaguely legitimate concern
>Axes are literally as viable as swords, and none of the weapons you listed have reach, so I conclude you either play with ridiculous munchkins or are parroting someone stupid
And yet here I am, responding
>>
>>49738639
Having a split that does something is nice. But the way you have it set up would get confusing, especially for people familiar with the old system.
I liked what 3rd edition did - anything that required a certain level of ability score was ALWAYS an odd number. Feats, prestige classes, etc. had odd requirements.
In retrospect, most people took even numbers anyway, because modifiers were so important that if you had a 13 you might as well have a 14. But it was the right idea in general.
So, what in 5e could be ability-score-dependent?
>>
>>49738154
My character died as we prematurely fought the BBEG. And not just die, was killed wih necrotic damage to zero, then sucked the soul out of into the BBEGs weapon. Meaning no revives.

But the cleric's divine intervention did just that, destroying the weapon, and scaring off the BBEG for the moment.

We were low on spell slots and everything but next time we fight him we will be able to take him down I'm sure.
>>
>>49738484
Narrative dice are universally terrible, but even I would enjoy that tire fire.

>>49738573
It doesn't, it relies entirely on the people at the table buying into the concept over the function. It's like trying to play a TTRPG with sex dice where the GM has to translate that into a cohesive story.
>>
>>49738666
Thanks for the update, Satan.

>>49738661
Feats and multiclassing, but those already do have odd-numbered requirements and aren't quite as common anymore.
>>
Ability scores and modifiers is another sacred cow that's probably not going away.

It would, to me, at least, not be D&D if they didn't have that.

I do like how games like Mutants and Masterminds does it; only thing you use is a d20, and you have conditions for damage. It's fun and narrative enough for that game, although you'd have to be very careful to avoid the bleedover from the Powers system. Having tried to run a fantasy game using a Superheroes system, it does not work well.
>>
>>49738592
I curious what the most simple streamlined "D&D" game you could make.

Maybe like, the six ability scores rated from 0 to 5, theres no proficiency or list of skills, instead each class has "Advantage" on two of the Ability checks. For equipment you give each class a choice between two loadouts that have different weapon of damage dice that they can fluff as whatever weapon they want. Everyone has an Armor and a Willpower static defenses used for physical and magical defense. Otherwise you make an ability save or something.
Something like that, super simple.
>>
>>49738592
My homebrew is based on the first point, using a d20 with degrees of success.

Ability scores are now thresholds for a skill, a partial success is 20-ability score a complete success is 20-modifier. Then there is a non-linear difficulty scaling that modifies the roll where hard would be 1d20-2 but very hard would be 1d20-6. Rolling below 1 is a fumble, rolling above 20 is a critical.
>>
>>49738641
>3rd properly used the split to great effect
It used it far better than 5e does, but if we're moving away from that, there's no reason to keep the two-number system. Either take advantage of it, or drop it.

>Obvious troll
Pffttsbjtsbtstttttt shut up <insert your favorite class here> scum

>Legitimate concern
That's probably the only one that I actually care about.

>Axes are literally as viable as swords.
Yeah, but look at some other weapons. Morningstar/Flail. Is the piercing/bludgeoning damage really worth losing the Versatile property of other 1d8 martial weapons?

Or the War Pick - it's the same as the Morningstar, but 2lb lighter and 10gp cheaper. Why would you ever buy a Morningstar?

Glaive / Halberd are the same weapon stats, but they're both outclassed by the Pike which is 15gp cheaper for the exact same weapon with no functional difference.

Why? Why make them all different in such minute ways as to make some of them obvious choices so that picking certain weapons for 'flavor' is nothing but a detriment?
>>
>>49738697
If you make it that simple it's not really D&D anymore. If people really want something more streamlined than D&D, just go play DWorld or something.

>>49738715
I only say "obvious troll" because bringing up martials vs casters is automatic bait for this wretched den of scum and autism.
FWIW, glaive and halberd being identical is almost definitely an intentional joke by the designers, referencing the absurd number of polearms in past editions. But I do agree that they included a few pointless options.
>>
>>49738680
Whoa. Are you saying that a game about mutual storytelling would require a mutual agreement by all players to work?

Good grief that does sound terrible. How an I supposed to force my friends to beta test my next novel in a sudden like that?
>>
>>49738697
World of Dungeons.
>>
>>49738715
>Why would you ever buy a Morningstar?

Because you want to use a Morningstar and not a war pick. The weight difference isn't significant, and gold is literally the least valuable resource available to players.

>Glaive / Halberd are the same weapon stats

If you don't understand why this is the case, you shouldn't be on /tg/.
>>
>>49738740
It's not a game of mutual storytelling, there is an actual role in the process that is the final arbeiter of the story whose is supposed to take the player contributions and turn them it into a collaborative story. A mutual story is a GMless system.

I do love the "any GM who doesn't like narrative dice is a bad railroading GM" straw man. I never railroad my player, but translating 1 success and 3 advanatages and a despair into a story gets old very fast and happens all the fucking time.
>>
>>49738738
>Auto-bait
Yeah, it is. Martial/Caster balance is hard to figure out, but I honestly think that 5e is as good as it's going to get. Battlemaster Fighter feels great from a balance perspective, and Action Surge gives the class the same sort of 'oomph' that casters get from high-level spells.

As for the weapons, my proposed 'system' is something using weapon categories.

Heavy
Reach
Medium
Light
Fine

Each category would have a set statblock and example weapons that might fall under that category, but the actual weapon itself is left up to the player or DM who creates the weapon. Special weapon techniques (receiving charges with spears, lances on horseback, finesse, throwing, versatility) could then be tied to class features or feats. It frees the player up to more weapon choices without risking weapon imbalances and allows for unique weapon-centric flavor to shine through on class/archetype choices.

Of course, the downside is that individual weapons lose some of their distinct flavor, and that probably wouldn't sit well with everyone, so I'll admit it's not perfect.
>>
>>49738746
I'd kill for wotc to rip off the *world system, but leave out the sex moves.

The only thing stopping me from trying out apocalypse works with my group is that I know two of my players would pick classes with only beneficial intimacy moves, and then spend all session pretending to fuck each other for minor in game benefits.
>>
Wheres the new thread you smegheads?
>>
>>49738811
>Not accidentally mind-raping the innkeeper because he made you food
It's like you don't even like fun
>>
>>49738811
You don't even need to fuck, any intimacy works.

Also, that's a real good way for one of them to set up betraying the other when their goals become opposite.
>>
>>49738788
You know what gets old? Trying to make a d20 miss or hit interesting. That's why narrative dice are superior. They provide rule based hints for what an action was like.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVgRlPGS69c

Is Lindy our literal guy? When the fuck are we going to get chase mechanics?
>>
>>49738855
>When the fuck are we going to get chase mechanics?
They're in the DMG.
>>
>>49738855
His name is Lloyd, you uncultured fuck. And he is most certainly our guy, so long as he's talking about medieval armaments and roleplaying mechanics. Unfortunately he has a tendency to make vaguely-racist political videos.
Then again, we're on 4chan, so someone is probably going to hit me with a meme arrow for saying that.
>>
>>49738855
Lindy is literally our guy, he's autistic as fuck when it comes to tabletop gaming.

>>49738888
This is some /lit/-tier redditposting.
>>
How long should it reasonably take for a character to learn carpintary if they're already proficient in Woodcarving?
>>
>>49738813
I'll make it...
>>
>>49738855
Does he suggest any rules to make combat more mobile?
>>
The new thread which was previously alluded to:

>>49738978
>>49738978
>>49738978
>>
>>49734622
Vento Auero
>>
Theory:

Can one cast Somatic spells with Magic Mouth?
>>
>>49738951
Carpentry? If they can already shape wood relatively well and understand the basics, not too long. Because training for a new proficiency is supposed to take 250 days (pg 187 PHB) I'd cut that down to maybe 50-100 days since he's already proficient with something very much related.
>>
>>49738855
>implying that you can't Dash to double your move
>implying that the guy you are chasing never needs to make a skill check to overcome an obstacle meaning he can't use his action to Dash thus giving you a chance to catch up to him

Who is this British faggot who pretends to know anything
>>
>>49734113
How do you have 18 Wisdom and Charisma in 5e with no ASI?
>>
>>49739071
Obviously either rolling or (more likely) very minmaxed point-buy. Look how low the other scores are.
>>
>>49739124
>>49739071
Yeah, it can't be any of the 3 arrays in the PHB, so it must be point buy or rolling.
>>
>>49738834
I have DMed for years across multiple systems, and I GMing FFG for 1 year was my least favorite experience by far - and while the dice was only a part of that they added more problems than any solutions.

It's incredibly easy to make d20 interesting by simply moving quickly through combat and giving generic degrees of success outside of combat and streamlining rolls.
>>
>>49739124
>>49739141
Pretty sure Point buy and rolling in 5e still don't allow starting stats above 15.
>>
What weapons would /5eg/ say you can justify a player using dex instead of strength for?
>>
>>49739333
Ranged weapons and the ones with the finesse property.
>>
>>49739295
It's probably not the official 5e method, is what I was implying.
>>
>>49739333
Any weapon that the DM wants to put Finesse on.

As a DM, I've allowed weapons up to 1d10 to have finesse, some of them being specially-crafted or magical. I don't think I'd include a finesse 1d12/2d6 because that's distinctly strength-flavored.
>>
>>49739295
>>49739071
Rolling lets you get starting stats as high as 18.
>>
>>49739295
How would rolling not let you get 18? The PHB says 4d6 drop lowest, so getting an 18 isn't even that rare.
>>
>>49735430
Yes, the battlemaster's superiority dice will destroy the very core of the game if it is allowed to be used more than once per encounter.
>>
>>49737460
Strength applies to health alongside Constitution.
Constitution also applies to Strength-based attacks for damage.

There. Strength builds are now viable.
>>
>>49732982

Tell that to Cutting Words.
>>
>>49733318

Hufflepuff for the Wisdom casters
>Really good finders
Ravenclaw for the Inteligence casters
>Book nerds
Grifindor for the Charisma casters
>Courage, natural born talent
Slytherin for the Gish
>Spies, frontline soldiers, thaumaticians.
>>
>>49735535

>infinite wild shape

Please revise.
>>
>>49740093
Not half bad actually.

I actually just reduced encumbrance by half, so the 8 strength munchkins are suddenly looking at 60lb of weight they can carry without penalties. Hope you travel light and without many coins! And you weren't hoping to use armour, right?

The monk still doesn't give a shit, though, and that's somewhat problematic for me. I want strength to not just be a dump stat for them, but between moving on any surface (making athletics pointless) and actually having strength save proficiency, I am kinda at a loss for what to do. My players play naked monks, using just regular clothes and no weapons, so they get a ton of mileage out of their carry limit
>>
>>49736346

Rule of thumb, underage player looses a point, but gains a point. Might loose a strength, or an inteligence, but gains a Dexterity, or a charisma. Wis and Con are give or take, granted he could be able to take more or less punishment, and be more distracted or inquisitive, depending
Thread posts: 358
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.