[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which settng has the best undead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

File: maxresdefault.jpg (126KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
126KB, 1280x720px
Which settng has the best undead?
>>
>>49721611
Warcraft, for all the skub, has some pretty bitchin' undead. They tote the line well between goopy plague undead and spooky ice undead. Also they had the best DLC.
>>
Might & Magic.
>>
>>49721611
Dark Souls
>>
>>49721611
Endless legend.
The broken knights are a faction of 'noble' undeads, twisted by the transformation of their whole population in ghosts that inhabit armours. Since that, they cannot replenish their population, except by draining to death living creatures to create more of their own.
Now they're torn between their identity of paladins and that of soul-sucking monsters, struggling to survive.
>>
>>49721611
Mine.
>>
>>49721850
You want mindless undead or evil liches
>Scourge
You want edgey sentient undead who's existence are nothing but suffering
>Forsaken
Corrupted Paladins/Fallen Heroes
>Knights of the Ebon Blade
>>
>>49725572
Are those even undead though? Aren't they just suits files with dust?
>>
>>49725960
I'd say that the line between constructs and undeads is pretty thin in this case, but they're on the undead side.
>>
>>49721611
I don't think there are many games with notable undead. Mostly there're just good games with regular generic undead.
>>
>>49721611
Eberron; militarized zombie production in the totally not ww1germany kingdom.
>>
>>49721611
>Which setting has the best Undead?

MTG.

Phyrexians are fucking awesome. There's an entire plane of Vampires and everyone loves a good zombie helper.
>>
Not super original, but Khemri from WHFB is one of my favorite takes on undead.
>>
>>49727130

Phyrexians. Idk if they count as undead, but their weird techo-organic thing counts as far as I'm concerned.

They're in a weird limbo where some of them are living creatures made of metal, and some are machines made of meat. Phyrexia just doesn't acknowledge the difference.
>>
>>49727610
>machines made of meat
That's all we really are.
>>
>>49724419
This one
>>
>>49725879
>You want edgey sentient undead who's existence are nothing but suffering
>existence are nothing but suffering
>>
Had an interesting nightmare years ago where I was pursued by a zombie horde that called out to me, insisting it would be alright to join them and everything would be okay. So my varients have leaned towards a hivemind assimilating the living.
>>
File: dark souls.jpg (325KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dark souls.jpg
325KB, 1920x1080px
>>49724419
Agreed!
>>
>>49721850
Warcraft has the worst everything.
>>
>>49729000
>great thread till bait

Would Destiny count as undead? Both the Guardians and the Hive have a heavy undead theme.
>>
>>49729315
Yup the guardians are all undead/necromancers, ditto with the hive.
>>
File: deploy the plague.jpg (276KB, 912x451px) Image search: [Google]
deploy the plague.jpg
276KB, 912x451px
>>49725879
>Forsaken
Loved playing Forsaken during Vanilla, BC and WotLK. Every other race was mostly classic heroic deeds and fighting honourably for your faction and shit. And the forsaken quest lines were about terrorizing alliance villages, killing civilians and testing experimental viruses on someone else's pet.
>>
>>49724419
My man.
>>
>>49728803
so basically just immortal alzheimer's patients
>>
>>49724419

Thread over as far as I'm concerned.

The Undead in Dark Souls bring great amounts of variety and potential while still maintaining good design focus and theming.
>>
> Which settng has the best undead?

Pic related, hands down.
>>
>>49729716
Lolno
>>
>>49729716
You are a retard.
>>
The Abhorsen books. Most recent one is pretty rad in describing how they warp the bodies they possess to better hunt people.

Plus Necromancy in them is just fantastic.
>>
>>49729716
either you mistyped /tv/, you're a fucking retard, or both. graphic novel > tv series, though.
>>
File: Blood & Smoke_01.jpg (387KB, 1403x1815px)
Blood & Smoke_01.jpg
387KB, 1403x1815px
>>
I actually really like the Necron.
>>
>>49721611
Deadlands
>>
>>49729315
Warcraft is pretty much shit. The undead beetles were cool but the rest was ultra-generic undead with more shit protruding from them.
>>
>>49730294
I wouldn't call babylonian themed undead ultra generic. Name some other settings with them.
>>
>>49729949
>>49730092
>>49730165
It was obviously a joke. A shitty joke, but a joke.
>>
>>49730316
The fuck about Warcraft undead was remotely Babylonian other than the word "Ziggurat"?
>>
>>49730362
Everything you swine.
>>
>>49730318
>I was merely pretending to be retarded!
>>
File: 2304923409246.png (277KB, 600x944px)
2304923409246.png
277KB, 600x944px
>>49730204
>posting requiem
>>
>>49730371
Nice non-answer. Was it the death knights? The meat wagons? The temple of the damned with the giant horns?
>>49730378
I believe you're quite serious.
>>
I quite like the Pillars of Eternity system where it's all stages of a level of decay.

>The soul of an undead isn't leaving the body, but the body is slowly decomposing. The undead also get weird cravings after human flesh. If the undead eats human flesh the decomposing stops, but after a while they start to rot again. Eating humans and absorbing the essence from their flesh is the only way to stop decomposition. If they don't eat human flesh they rot and their IQ drops and in time, the mind goes as well as the body. They become feral, then near-vegetative, then purely mechanical - the body nothing more than a fleshless marionette.

>There are five decomposition stages of corporeal undead:
>Fampyrs are the most-recently alive. They are really no different from a normal person aside from a strong craving for human flesh, which is the only substance that can keep their minds lucid and their bodies from decaying. But even by this, they are only delaying the inevitable next state of undead.

>Darguls are still somewhat intelligent and recognizable as persons, but show signs of physical and mental deterioration. At this stage they starts to lose control of their urges, and their memory begins to slip away. Darguls self-consciousness is flimsy.

>Guls are a further step down the path, they are more bestial without hair, the flesh sags on the bones, and they live only to feed their hunger.

>Revenants are visibly rotting, the skin having sloughed away and even the muscle beginning to lose form. Of the mind, only base instincts and the desire to feed remain.

>Skeleton are what remain once all the flesh has rotted away. Without the ability or desire to feed, they are largely murderous automatons acting on pure reflex. Given enough time, even the bones will be reduced to dust which the soul will still be bound to.
>>
>>49730419
>>49730371
Yeah, actually I'm curious as someone with a neutral opinion of Warcraft. Also, I didn't know Babylon had unique undead.
>>
>>49730486
A couple of the buildings are very square in a way that's not really reminiscent of Babylonian architecture at all beyond being squareish, which the Babylonians weren't exactly alone with, the word "Ziggurat" which is not exclusively a Babylonian word or building and which looks nothing like real ziggurats anyway. Unit selection has regular hooded death cultists (I'm unaware of how Babylonian this is), ghouls, death knights, liches, flesh golems, necromancers, banshees, a corpse collecting catapult, gargoyles. Scarabs, which are more of an Egyptian thing to my knowledge. Not sure what the weird obsidian statue is meant to be, could be a Babylonian thing. Crypt fiends are like, uh, spider mantises. No idea about them.
>>
>>49729315
Go back to your hugbox thread.

Or, better yet, drag the rest of you faggots back to /vg/, and stop hoping that anyone except the other idiots who've sunk $1000+ into that shitty game think that Warcraft has any merit whatsoever.
>>
File: stop.jpg (90KB, 499x368px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
90KB, 499x368px
>>49730423
>Fampyrs
>Guls
>Skeletons
>>
>>49731159
You sound quite vein vericose, familiapyr.
>>
unded tred? unded thread
>>
>>49727130
Phyrexia does make use of undead, but it's not like all phyrexians have undead on the typeline. I consider phyrexians more like cyborgs than undead.

However the typeline isn't completely indicative of class, as all artifact creatures are flavorfully constructs, yet that type is only used when WotC doesn't really have anything else to put there.

>>49727875
Phyrexians aren't made of only meat.
>>
>>49733813
I'm talking about humans.
>>
>>49721611
sine requie
>>
>>49721611
Dominions
>>
>>49724419
Good call. I'm a huge Dark Souls fan but I didn't even think of it to be honest - the OP immediately made me think of more "obvious" undead like WHFB Tomb Kings and such.

>>49725960
>>49726198
I'd say the souls of dead people powering constructs is sufficiently undead for me. Especially if the constructs aren't even really constructs but are what the dead people were wearing upon death. I suppose Rubric Marines in 40k would also count.
>>
File: Fresh_Start_Club.jpg (109KB, 612x795px) Image search: [Google]
Fresh_Start_Club.jpg
109KB, 612x795px
>>49721611
No Discworld? Am I really on /tg/ or did I click the wrong board?
>>
>>49730149
Oh shit Garth Nix released a new one? I loved the shot out of that series and it has by far the most powerful, real feeling, and varied undead
>>
File: 1888379-1294379416763.jpg (230KB, 1188x716px) Image search: [Google]
1888379-1294379416763.jpg
230KB, 1188x716px
>>49721611
Cheesy, ridiculous, absurd, true enough.
>>
>>49730221
And that is ok anon.
>>
>>49730221
Don't forget about Plague Zombies, 40k has more than just "'Not' Tomb Kings"
>>
>>49736036
The best thing about 40k as a setting is simply that it is so large you can do whatever with it. If on some world there are a bunch of necromancers using warp magicks to war with each other, trying to curry the favor of some Great Unclean One, it exists.
>>
>>49735613
Curte go home.
>>
>>49721611
I've always really liked Warcraft's Forsaken. There's something really interesting to me about a group of undead who are trying to figure out what to do with their unlives, how to structure an undead society, or even if they want to form a society with their fellow undead in the first place.

There's a lot of potential there for interesting storytelling - not the ridiculous, overblown melodrama that Blizzard normally aims for, but smaller, more grounded stories, of ordinary people trying to find their way after their lives have been totally upended.
>>
>>49736206
>I like Warcraft's Forsaken
>I don't like how they're portrayed though, just how they could've been portrayed
Doesn't that just mean you don't like Warcraft's Forsaken?
>>
>>49721611
Depends on the setting
>>
>>49731158
Some got triggered hard
>>
>>49730149
this one
>>
>>49721611
Aesthetically I like HoMM3 (M&M overall have some of my favourite fantasy aesthetics, inspired by the beautiful Flash Gordon movie as they are), in terms off fluff I prefer TES (the Corpse Preparation books for example).
WC3 has the corpse collecting catapult which I really like, although I've criticized Warcraft's undead ITT, and it's not an undead being itself, but I think it's a good way to use undead.
Forgotten Realms and other D&D stuff is hard to beat in terms of pure variety, although I don't think it's got any notable whole worth praising.
Diablo 2 had some pretty creative necromancy in terms of PC capacity, although the variety of undead wasn't very large (exploding pygmy skeletons were fun though).
>>
>>49736206
>ordinary people trying to find their way after their lives have been totally upended.

That was never really the Forsaken's angle. Being undead in Warcraft sucks and being stuck as a walking corpse forever fucks with most people's heads or drives them insane or feral.

The Forsaken are a bitter, hateful and often crazy band of emos and psychopaths that are basically anathema to everything holy that they once worshiped in life. They are the faction people pick when they want to be as crazy and evil as Blizzard will let their PCs be.
>>
>>49730149

This one and Warcraft are my favorites.
>>
>>49730409
Vera, don't you have a bisexual daughter to retrieve and elf men to play dominatrix with?
>>
>>49721611

Warhammer Fantasy.
>>
File: laughing_skull.jpg (142KB, 587x823px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_skull.jpg
142KB, 587x823px
>>49738751
How fitting that a dead setting should have some of the best undead.
>>
>>49730149
THE AUDIO BOOK IS VOICED BY TIM CURRY
>>
>>49736974
In Vanilla Wow, its how the Forsaken start. Literally crawling from a pile of corpses, newly "alive", and told by a guy with a shovel. "Oh fuck, another one is up and moving. Look, go that way, fuck if I care" and you're left to struggle with who and what you are...

The theme AFTER that goes netirely different directions, but it STARTS that way
>>
>>49736670
>>49736974
I guess what I mean is, I like the Forsaken's potential, I just don't like what Blizzard actually did with them.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.