[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>say something bad about your favorite setting >say something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 12

File: 1463037697298.jpg (176KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1463037697298.jpg
176KB, 720x960px
>say something bad about your favorite setting
>say something good about a setting you hate
>say something bad about your favorite system
>say something good about a system you hate
>>
>>49721168
its pretentious
it has a few very good ideas
its overly complicated
its fun to min-max with
>>
>>49721193
Mind telling us what it is while you're on it?
>>

Infinity - superlative as fuck

40gay - occasionally they ding it just right to get a nostalgia boner going

Infinity - complex as fuck

40gay - accessible as fuck, I guess
>>
>>49721168
>favorite setting
Avatars in Unknown Armies make no sense as a whole. At what point does embodying anything suddenly make you an avatar instead of an nonmagical average Joe? Also, it's possible to embody your avatar without knowing, so how could you be a high level avatar and not know you've got supernatural powers? Why does being an avatar make you unable to become an adept?

>least favorite setting
The landscapes of Forgotten Realms are pretty.

>favorite system
The identity system in Unknown Armies 3rd edition takes a lot of time to get used to and doesn't provide the same feeling of fun when it comes to making skills like in 2e.

>least favorite
The alchemist class for Pathfinder has a lot of cool concepts behind it.
>>
>>49721197
'no'
>>
>>49721168
>favorite setting
Unknown Armies, >>49721295 brings up some points, but I'd say the 3/3/03 incident.

>least
Creation from Exalted is nicely made, in the broad strokes, for the sort of "epic fantasy" the system is trying to emulate.

>favorite system
Ars Magica is NUMBERSNUMBERSNUMBERS if you want to play a magus, and if you don't, then why are you playing Ars Magica?

>least
Scion 1e managed to nicely cut a divide between mortal levels of competence and divine levels, shame that the same aspect also made high-level combat "compare Epic Dexterity, the higher number wins"
>>
I love the depth in Infinity's rules and the reaction mechanics, but god do they slow things down.

Advantage and Disadvantage are really good ways to handle buffs and debuffs in a lightweight manner. You don't even need to add dice rolls.
>>
>>49721168
Middle Earth can be very difficult to run games in.
Generic zombie apocalypse settings lend themselves to adventuring really well.
GURPS is cool in the abstract, but is fiddly enough that I don't think I'll have enough time to run a game with it.
Gangrape was innovative in its use of restricted viewpoint and giving in-game reactions to metagame body language and speech.
>>
>>49721168

>That pic

I wanna smash my face in her stomach and blow raspberries until she's squealing like a schoolgirl!
>>
>>49721390
But it's covered in leather. She wouldn't feel a thing and your nose would get all scratched.
>>
>>49721168
COPS was never translated to english therefore no one wants me to GM for them
DnD can is easy enought that you can ditch the whole world and just create your own world using your own imagination.
FATE can be disorientating when you dont really have stats but concepts.
%base system are easy to understand
>>
>>49721202
>40gay - accessible as fuck, I guess
Bullshit.
It's a bloated mess.
>>
>>49721168
>My homebrew setting is little more than a mashup of bits I liked from vidya, book and other tabletop settings with the serial numbers filed off.
>40k has a lot of room for individually fun ideas.
>5e loses a lot of potential in making some things (read: not being a full caster) far too samey.
>The Bo9S and Psionics parts of 3.X are cool.
>>
>>49721168
Low Life is fucking alienating.

PF offers an well fleshed world in the core book.

Savage Worlds is a bitch to run a Super Heroes game in even with the supplement.

Green Ronin's AGE keeps you engaged with the stunt points mechanic showing that d6 systems can still be great fun.
>>
>>49721395

The outfit would be coming off in this scenario, anon.
>>
>>49721168
>Ebberon; No official support since 3.5e that didn't suck. Makes people think it's steampunk when it isn't.
>WoD; defined the genre, for better or worse, had a vision for itself.
>GURPS; first time character generation is a slog without apprenticeship.
>DND 5E; Managed to turn the 4e trainwreck back around, put the game back into an approachable state again.
>>
File: 1473138599976.gif (1MB, 540x300px) Image search: [Google]
1473138599976.gif
1MB, 540x300px
>>49721168
>Eberron
It was unabashedly made in mind for 3.5 and suffers for it.

>Forgotten realms
It got me into D&D so I don't entirely hate it.

>4e
The system really does need the character builder to make characters easily and again, suffers for it.

>Exalted 2e
It reinvigorated my interest in tabletop gaming when it came out.
>>
>3e Shadowrun
It's a bit stuck in the "the little man against the big Man" groove and fails to flesh out or detail a lot of the megacorps, which deprives the game of bucketloads of potential nuance. Magical natives are silly, and the political opinions can get hard to swallow.
>Spelljammer
It's interesting, at least. Then it gets gratuitously "interesting".
>Old World of Darkness
The focus on making deeper characters results in a low variation ceiling and a risk of overlap between PCs, made worse by that you need to bring in splats with stupid metaplot and unfitting fluff to widen it. The system requires an experienced group to run on rails, and most groups are not.
>CGLrun 5e
It wears the skin of Shadowrun, and can be mistaken for it at a passing glance.
>>
>>49721493
Be specific, anon!
>>
>>49721538
What's that anime from? It looks weirdly familiar yet not any of the things I think it should be.
>>
>Eberron
Houses and Dragonmarks are superfluous and I don't like them.

>Dragonlance
The villains are pretty interesting and memorable.

>Fantasy Flight Star Wars
Starship combat is utter dogshit and doesn't suit the feel of the setting.

>Pathfinder
Literally everyone in the hobby had probably played Pathfinder so shared experience is plentiful.
>>
>>49721538

Why doesn't she just hook her arms through the straps? The girls will definitely be noticeable but they'll at least fit into the swimsuit.
>>
>>49721685
She's drawn and animated by perverts.
>>
File: 1432185760218.png (111KB, 600x476px) Image search: [Google]
1432185760218.png
111KB, 600x476px
>>49721639
>Be specific, anon!

Or maybe he wants to blow raspberries on that cleft of exposed skin below her breasts, which would also mean he's smashing his face between her tits.
>>
>>49721651
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru
>>
>Forgotten Realms
Everyone is a special snowflake

>Golarion
There is a lot of adventures available there?

>3.P D&D
A little too easy to break the system in either direction.

>FATAL
It's easy to spell?
>>
>>49721720
FATAL's magical effects failure table is a laugh and a half.
No, seriously, go look. It's one of the best parts of the game, hands down.
>>
>>49721168
I find this harder than most.

Finding something bad in something is easy, but when you have the opinion that most things are shit to start with it's hard to find something good in them, especially the things you truly hate.
>>
>>49721738
sorry, but no. I would prefer to keep my mental scarring from looking at FATAL a distant and vague memory.
>>
>>49721168
>Creation from Exalted
Sometimes it really lacks sense of scale and it can feel empty if you don't fill in the blanks yourself.

>40K
I don't really hate it, just find it baffling how some people worship and take it way too seriously. But it does get that epic yet forlorn feel right, sometimes.

>Apocalypse World and its kin
It's made with a pretty specific, structured way of playing in mind. Requires good improvisation skills.

>D&D
Again, I don't really hate it, even tough every edition has problems. But at least it's iconic, easy to find games for and usually has a lot of content.
>>
>>49721168
>Ridiculously kitchen sink
>Some very cool places
>Power creep
>Catches the flavour of the setting perfectly
>>
>>49721193
Wow, Pathfinder is your favorite and least favorite setting AND system?
>>
>>49721168

>40k
Muh religous zealotism / muh body horror

>Steven Universe
They understand worldbuilding alright

>4.e
It requires some work to make it work. And their is a distinct difference between combat and rp which throws some people off.

>3.5/pathfinder
It's glorious to customize and there's tons of support for it.
>>
>Fallout
Psykers and all the Dunwich Corp. supernatural bullshit. I blame them for one of my players wanting to be a demon hunter.

>ASoIaF
I could see low magic being used to make magic actually feel more mystical and mysterious.

>5E D&D
Drow should not be a core race.

>Tie between EBB/Pathfinder
Respectively: It is extremely simple and easy to demonstrate/ I like the skill system.
>>
>>49721168

>Bad thing about Dead Inside
It's basically impossible to improv gm anything about this game. Or maybe it's impossible to prep anything. I legitimately don't understand how one approaches gming this game.

>40k
Pretty much everything except for the central space marines/emprah/primarchs thing is pretty interesting. I appreciate that it's a setting that has the capacity for stories of every scale.

>BRP
d% does make everything seem pretty samey.

>Pathfinder
If you're inspired to make something, you can make it in pathfinder. There's a 90% chance it'll be shitty and unplayable, but you can make it at least.
>>
>>49721168
Is that supposed to be the Sorceress?
>>
>>49722568

Nah, she's just your friendly neighborhood voluptuous caster.

Most sorceresses tend to be THICC anyway, or at least busty.
>>
>>49721168
>Favorite setting
I don't have one, so I guess I'm just generic and bland woo

>Harry Potter
The world is super comfy near the beginning of the stories

>Adeptus Evangelion
Holy fuck what were they thinking

>Lamentations of the Flame Princess
Actual setting I'm running, it's a little to sparse in some areas, so I have to fiddle with things a lot. And Raggi is an edgelord.

>3.5/PF
So much support, it's beautiful really, you can customize yourself to the ends of the earth.
>>
>>49722568
>>49722660
I think he means THE Sorceress from Dragon's Crown.
>>
>>49721168
Unknown Armies has a lot of ideas that sound like incredible material for an urban fantasy mindfuck horror novel on paper but simply cannot be pulled off with any normal group without everyone just giggling the entire session (e.g. everything to do with sex).

Demon the Descent's version of the cosmos is different enough from the rest of the World of Darkness to allow for a very different experience, aesthetically speaking.

ORE has this annoying "reverse initiative" thing going on where the highest initiative acts first but says what they do last, which sounds reasonable on paper but gets really confusing in practice, especially when everyone's trying to imagine what's happening on the battlefield.

GURPS has THE best information supplements of any game, period. They're literally worth reading even for nothing else, no matter how much you dislike the mechanic.
>>
>>49723140

I know what he meant, and I'm saying it's silly to instantly assume any large-breasted caster with a pointy hat and generous cleavage is the Sorceress or based on her. Sorceresses have typically been drawn with huge tits and very shapely figures, Dragon's Crown as just continuing the trend.
>>
>>49721168

Dark Sun

>The fuckers who play this setting as heroic fantasy with Elementals.

Age of Sigmar

>The over the top metal aesthetic is growing on me
>>
>>49721168
Warhammer is dead.
Steven Universe at least quarantines the SJWs as opposed to them spilling out into other fandoms (sorry, Magic, but I think you're fucked anyway)
Call of Cthulhu isn't crunchy enough for some -- the combat's weak, for example.
D&D is the progenitor, so it's got that going for it.
>>
>>49721168

I don't have one because they're all bad in some way.

Golarion has cool Hellknights and I'd port the idea over into other settings in a heartbeat.

4e has a shit skill system and Skill powers rarely do anything interesting. They should have looked at the out-of-combat Charm powers from Exalted for ideas of what is actually fun to do outside of combat..

See the above.
>>
>>49721168
>Undecided; either Dread Empire, Legendarium, or the world of Steven Pressfield's Antiquity Fiction
They're all hard to read if you don't like the writing style of the author. The first most of all, and it can come across as a tad generic if you're not into it. The second is considered by many to have started the trend of what is now Generic Western Fantasy, and in the last can sometimes be too larger-than-life.

>Eragon
It all at least had a well-enough fleshed out history, and the Shades were the only unique thing that was without a doubt still a good idea.

>Undecided; either RuneQuest6/Mythras or MiniSix
The first is really slow in combat unless you are familiar with it, and its character creation, if done purely with rolling, can create some serious imbalance if you have bad luck. The second is something of a minimalist toolbox and requires you to make modules of your own; it can be really frustrating if you don't want that kind of bookkeeping.

>Pathfinder
There are at least a lot of books, and with Starfinder I can't help but respect Paizo's insistence on Pathfinder being your one-stop shop for game mechanics for anything.
>>
>>49725354
>The second is something of a minimalist toolbox and requires you to make modules of your own; it can be really frustrating if you don't want that kind of bookkeeping.
There's also the fact that WEG's D6 system, which it is heavily based on, is generally pretty crappy.
>>
>>49721168

Fading Suns: horrible disdain for hard sci-fi and generally scientific thought.

WH40k: Actually, it's kinda original. Or it was at the time, whatever.

PBTA (if that's a system): I'm still not totally convinced about the absence of GM modifiers.

COC: I guess the fact that there is a "big" game about investigation and shit is a good thing.
>>
>>49721168
>It's basically pants on head retarded at this point without the in jokes and humor (40k).
>It attracts the most sexually curious people I know (WoD)
>No matter which way you cut it, it's next to impossible to say it's balanced (D100)
>Despite being a cluster fuck that totally spat on a successful formula, it did make a concerted effort to differ itself from other game systems (Interpretive Dice Warhammer 3rd Edition).
>>
>>49721168
Planescape is my favorite RPG setting, but I wish it got some actual support outside of just that one legendary book and legendary game we all love.

40k is my favorite war gaming setting, but there are too many inconsistencies cuz GW doesn't do their research.

Eberron is my least favorite RPG setting but the overall aesthetic is actually cool as shit.

Accurate historical settings in general are my least favorite in TT, but I do have some sort of nostalgia cool feeling for medieval and WW2.

FATE is my favorite RPG system, but it's approach to making the game into a rules heavy one isn't as smooth as I would like it to be.

Infinity is my favorite tabletop system, but as cool as the interface and a lot of things look, it doesn't feel as user friendly as a GW game or a historical war game. Not really a problem for me, but it usually is when I am trying to get new people hip to it.

FATAL is my least favorite RPG system, but literally killing people with your dick sounds cool as shit.

40k's balance issues make it my least favorite TT system that I regularly interact with, but they'll occasionally get shit right ex. the Daemon Prince and how powerful you can make it through customizations or just picking up Belakor.
>>
>>49721168
>World of Darkness
It's kind of stupidly girmdark. It's ostensibly a horror game so it makes sense, but shouldn't there be at least some vampires who are happy with their undeath, or other supernaturals who aren't involved in politics and instead are just super chill?

>GURPS Infinite Worlds
It's exactly the kind of setting that shows what GURPS is capable of.

>Fantasy Craft
All the different parts of the game fit together so well and function so smoothly, but sweet fucking jesus there are so many moving parts in the system to keep track of and sort through as you play.

>DBZ Anime Adventure Game
Your stats can easily get so high that rolling the dice becomes irrelevant so whoever has higher stats will always win. This breaks the game, but at the same time that does make it true to the show.
>>
>>49721517
You are a moron. 4e Eberron is definitely better than the original, unless you are one of those guys who equates quality with brokenness (fuck artificers).
>>
>>49727081
There are plenty of vampires who're perfectly fine with being it in-universe, but they're usually in some war pack in the Sabbat and indulging in it.
There are some vampires in the Camarilla who've managed to land on a Humanity plateau and then come to terms with it, and some Anarchs who just don't know enough about being vampires to really be unhappy with it yet, but most vampires who become happy about it do it not by retaining Humanity, but by falling to a pretty low Humanity plateau or by choosing a Path.
It's a part of the universe that vampires are inherently not human and lack some important human elements (for example the ability to truly feel emotions - Kindred feel emotions by reliving those from their old days and can't experience any other emotions than the ones they did in their human lives, which is why child vampires are generally not made and get really scary when they are).
As such, vampires who can actually feel satisfied with a human set of morals and values are likely delusional or insane (which then doesn't help their Humanity).
>>
It's nearly impossible to find a system to run it. Metroid

The place is well-built for the heists that the system wants you to pull off.Shadowrun

Two or three feats that are too good ruin the appeal of taking the rest. D&D 5e

It's really easy to adapt to other things. FATE
>>
>>49723698
>everything you mentioned
>plus the red hair
>plus the purple outfit coloring
>plus the skull iconography
>all for a character for a smartphone game (i.e. games notorious for blatant character ripoffs)

And the kicker:
>artist's DA profile has several Dragon's Crown Sorceress images saved as Favorites

Nah, there's
>>
>>49727454
Post got cut off, but the rest amounts to, "No, that's not a coincidence."
>>
The dragon age setting has a monotheistic religion as the worlds main faith which I feel is seldom done in fantasy settings even though the medieval area was dominated by the Christian faith and it's culture was heavily influenced by the one true god.

feudal Japan is such an odd mix of Buddhist, Shinto, and folk culture that is feels inconsistent at times because of all the clashing ideas and the fact that "all religions are right" mentalities.
>>
>>49721168
>>say something bad about your favorite setting
The established "plotline" post 1372 is retarded and I hate it. (Realms)

>>say something good about a setting you hate
The visuals are great. (Dragonlance)

>>say something bad about your favorite system
Too fucking complicated sometimes (3.5)

>>say something good about a system you hate
Infinite variety is amazing and I love how the system has such a happy positive feel. (GURPS)
>>
>>49721493
l-lewd
>>
>>49729440

There is nothing lewd about blowing raspberries on a beautiful, naked sorceress!
>>
>>49721168
There's really no good reason to go out and do stuff

There's lots of colour, in both senses of the word

Having only one number to beat on Task Rolls makes it too easy if you choose good feats for RP purposes

There's a splatbook for everything
>>
>>49721168
>Wherever Lies of Locke Lamora is set
There isn't really that much setting material to work with at the moment.
>Warhammer 40K
Its asthetic is very distinctive.
>Mongoose Traveller
It doesn't include any rules for building ships, and if you want to run a game in a single system you're pretty much screwed.
>World of Synnibar
The setting is fucking hillarious
>>
>>49721168
Lo5R - its basically weeaboofightingmagic.world

40k - it has a compelling story, even if they never progress it.

warmahordes - its full of autistic neckbeards

Age of Sigmar - i always wanted to play fantasy without 10x10 movement trays god i fucking got monkey paw'd on this one
>>
>>49726717
>one legendary book and legendary game we all love.

What? I assume you are talking about some non RPG book?
>>
>>49721168
>Middle-Earth has such an established canon it's basically impossible to invent your own plothooks without contradicting the sourcematerial
>Star Wars is literally knights in space. If that's not fucking awesome I don't know what is.

I have no idea about systems as I have only played dnd, gurps and fate and they all felt pretty same ish to me.

Apart from that I don't actually play ttrpgs, I'm just here to shitpost about elves.
>>
Favorite setting, huh? That's a toss-up. If it's settings in general, it's probably
>Skies of Arcadia doesn't have a sequel and fully-explored its own world so it's hard to just add things or expand things

but if it's exclusively game settings, it's

>Spelljammer is a shitload of work to bring over to any half-decent system and there's never been good ship rules that make the entire party feel like they're contributing

And if it's ANY sort of media setting, it's
>Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still was never finished and nobody's made a tabletop based on it.

My least favorite setting is easy, it's
>Forgotten Realms got me started on D&D by way of Baldur's Gate/2, some of the best games I've ever played

My favorite rules system is kind of weird, because
>Mutants and Masterminds is better as a programming language for games than being its own game, and I'd rather run setting-specific stuff in systems made for specific settings and only use it when I have no choice

And my least favorite system is

>FATE allows a lot of freedom, I guess?
>>
>>49729847
I meant the Campaign Setting, which yeah is more of a boxed set with the multiple books and the map things.
>>
File: 1475161916227.jpg (47KB, 621x502px) Image search: [Google]
1475161916227.jpg
47KB, 621x502px
>>49721168
Eberron is built for 3.5, an awful, jumbled, broken system. Also, there's so much going on in it, there's kind of nothing really happening, if that makes sense.
Dragonlance is really well fleshed out and clearly created by someone who has a passion for their world. pic related
Shadow of The Demon Lord is maybe too simple and I dislike the whole "players choose their own initiative order" thing
One of the most fun games I've ever played was done with d20 Modern. We didn't know any better and we loved it.
>>
>>49721674
Dragonmarks are superfluous, sure, but the Houses themselves? Come on, their super cool!
>>
File: Kobe PSA.gif (1MB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
Kobe PSA.gif
1MB, 480x358px
>>49727386
>>
>>49721168
Pokémon
They use the term "Evolution" when they mean "Metamorphosis". (So I introduced the concept of evolution and called it metamorphosis)

Eberron at least tried to reshuffle some fantasy classics.

Dream Pod 9's shilhouette system
It can stagnate into a "nobody is able to hit the opponent".

Shadowrun Fifth
The extra layers of complication really bring into light the consequences of your choices at character creation.

>>49731358
> Eberron is built for 3.5, an awful, jumbled, broken system.
When you get a REALLY GOOD 3.5 / Pathfinder game, you know the guy is skilled. Like a chef fishing his main ingredient from a toilet bowl and still making a delicious meal out of it.
>>
>>49721168
Dungeons the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition: Falls flat for people who don’t recognize at least three pieces of the mash-up.

Aberrant: The eXtreme Warfare Federation gave me a fondness for superhuman prowrestling.

DtD40k7e Again: The weapon creation rules are consistently inferior to just eyeballing it.

Powered by the Apocalypse: Fast character generation that even total newbies to RPG’s can parse means I can convince people to play a game and run it the same night.

I admit it, I'm a filthy fun-haver.
>>
File: Goku.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Goku.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
>>49727081
>DBZ Anime Adventure Game

Oh hey, someone else knows my pain.
>>
>>49721168
>favorite setting
Eclipse Phase panders to anarchists, hard. A GM has to compensate for that. Also, it's very hard to get into initially.
>least favorite
Every setting in the D&D and Pathfinder lineage is easily accessible and even more easily expanded on, by virtue of how horrifically generic they are.
>favorite system
GURPS math is not a meme. Okay, it kind of is, but both sides of the GURPS debate either overplay it or underplay it.
>least favorite
I've never played a system I actually hated yet. I don't like 3.5 all that much, but it's so widespread it's probably the easiest game to get a group for and it introduced countless people to the hobby. I guess that's my least favorite.
>>
>anime bullshit
>nurgle
>is a clunky piece of shit
>good-ish memories of playing it with friends
>>
>>49721390
really? Cause I want to stick my tongue in her butthole and suck on her tits till milk comes out.
>>
>Lovecraft was a total shitbird and some of his ideas are only usable because of elaboration by later authors.
>It has the Guyver knockoffs as PCs.
>Advancement is really linear and the book is badly written.
>Sometimes it gets people interested in other RPGs.
>>
>>49721168

It forces elves/dwarves/halflings into a "our races are special and unique!" when it would've benefitted by just having them be human or another race entirely.

It's so middle of the road that I can get why people are not averted to it.

It's really difficult to explain the mechanics to someone for the first time.

Tome of Battle is a good sourcebook and the Binder is a neat class.
>>
>Eberron
It doesn't make as much sense outside the context of 3.5, since it relies so much on that broken system.
>Forgotten Realms
It's gotten a lot of good people into the hobby through its books and supplements.
>13th Age
Con, Dex, and Wis are the strongest Ability Scores again and the Fighter has the worst defenses.
>Storyteller
As long as you stick to low xp play, it's very good for the mystery and intrigue games it was designed for.
>>
>>49727386
4e Eberron was an abortion that bloated shit to hell for no damn reason.
>>
>>49733665
Elaborate.
>>
> Athas is pretty boring once you get past the Mad Max thing
> Call of Cthulhu has cool monsters once I get over the initial cringe
> AD&D 2nd edition has been outdone in most aspects by the newer editions
>Gurps has a lot of flexibility.
>>
>>49721168
>Damnit Dark Sun, people don't wear metal bikinis in the desert.
>Forgotten Realms is well developed and has a region to appeal to any type of player.
>FFS savage worlds, learn to cap your exploding dice and make character growth a little easier.
>3finder brought a lot of people to gaming and offers solid rewards for taking the time to learn the system.
>>
File: what demons think of vampires.jpg (43KB, 789x110px) Image search: [Google]
what demons think of vampires.jpg
43KB, 789x110px
>>49727412
>I don't have emotions and that makes me sad
>>
>>49733665
>Bloated
>Actually condensed the setting in two books

Yeah. You are a moron.
>>
The Orc-Druid thing doesn't work that well with the way the rules are written in Eberron and feels a little meh because of that. Also, the lack of detail about the outer planes and how they relate to Eberron in the basic fluff is frustrating as a DM trying to answer player's questions.

They've made a lot of good art for Forgotten Realms.

The to-hit mechanics of Tenra Bansho Zero were unintuitive for me, and it took me a while to get it.

D20 modern introduced me to the idea that firearms are varied and got me interested in the physical mechanics of how they work.
>>
>>49721193
Pathfinder/3.5?
>>
>>49729440
It's replaced with pajamas before she's tucked in.
>>
>>49721168
Fallout: It's too wacky these days.
Twilight: It's got vampires(??)

GURPS: It's got too much shit to sift through.
D&D: It's pretty mainstream. Almost everyone's heard about it
>>
>>49734609
>Fallout: It's too wacky these days.
>these days
What? Fallout was always wacky.

>>49730772
Planescape had an entire line of supplements.
>>
>>49734653
1 wasn't too wacky. 2 was the one that amped up the pop culture references and then things were wacky from that moment forward.
>>
>>49734653

Like >>49734676 said, Fallout 1 was mild on the wack, and kept most of it to easter eggs, while Fallout 2 definitely had more. I'm more referencing Fallout 3 and 4 where they just have all this wacky shit that doesn't belong in the game. Not to mention that Bethesda made alien cities and live-forever-juice canon.
>>
>>49721168
>Delta Green
The whole 'unknowable, unkillable monstrosities from beyond' thing kinda falls apart when you can blow them to smithereens with a few grenades.

>Anything steampunk related
Airships are fucking dope

>Dark Heresy/Only War
You die very easily, which I don't have a problem with but some players definetely do.

>D&D
It founded all TTRPGs, so you gotta give it some credit.
>>
>>49733419
If it does and she isn't pregnant, she should probably see a doctor.
>>
>>49721738
What can you port from FATAL into another system to "improve" the other system.

If I replaced the 5e Wild Sorcerer's nat 000 on the wild effects table with "roll on FATAL's magical effects failure table, would it be a laugh and a half as you claim?
>>
I notice that in these kinds of threads not a lot of people are very fond of Forgotten Realms.

As someone who's never played in the standard D&D settings and only knows about them through cursory knowledge, is that just because Forgotten Realms is the most boring "generic high-fantasy kitchen sink" setting of the bunch compared to stuff like Eberron and Ravenloft, or is it because of something specifically egregious that the setting does wrong?
>>
>>49721168
>tfw you learn evocation so you can make a telekinetic support bra
>>
>>49735530
The former. It's THE gold standard for shitty kitchen sink settings.
>>
File: 1470323424166.png (40KB, 152x254px) Image search: [Google]
1470323424166.png
40KB, 152x254px
>>49727454
It just means that the plague of lolicon fantasies has taken deep hold in online art communities.
>>
>>49735857
>tfw you learn transmutation so you can become the shota.
>>
>>49735893
>curvy older women with tits the size of beanbags
>lolicon fantasies
>>
>>49735896
>tfw when you become a cleric so you can banish the transmutation mage to eternal fire
>>
>>49735896
Shouldn't you like conjure a shota or something? Assuming a MILF just wants to bury a shota in her tits or something, turning into one wouldn't help her since she wouldn't have those anymore and obviously couldn't bury herself in them. The shota needs to be separate.
>>
>>49721860
>if you don't fill in the blanks yourself.
That's the zoggin' point
>>
>>49721168
1.There is little to no information about the various factions.
2. It is very vast and it has loads of explorable areas.
3. It takes a little while for beginners to get aquianted with all the dieties, languages and customs of the different peoples.
4. It has very, very, very clear rules.
>>
>>49735949
Its a joke anon, a dumb game journalist said that the sorcerous was indicative of lolicon fantasy
>>
>>49736188
Why don't you tell what settings/systems this shit is
>>
>>49736370
He's saving you the effort - just make it up yourself.
>>
>>49721168
Something about this chick's body proportions feels wrong.
>>
>>49737718
Could it be the beach ball sized boobs?
>>
>>49721878
>Forgotten Realms
>WoD
>40k
>FATAL
>>
>>49734571

>Implying the comfiest sleepwear isn't topless with sweat pants.
>>
>>49739033

Nah, plenty of girls got tits that large and her slight chub (along with noticeable sag on the girls) makes it seem reasonable.

I think the thing that feels wrong is the length of her body, it's too short.
>>
>>49739233
Not when your body's shaped like that it ain't. Porn REALLY doesn't properly convey how uncomfortable free hanging boobs can be. With that size, they're probably downright painful.
>>
>Forgotten realms.
Some of the older editions stuff is stupid. I.e YAKMEN.
>Dragonlance.
Cheery and optimistic.
>D&D 4e.
Combat takes a bit long.
>FATE.
Easy to explain.
>>
>>49721168
>favorite setting
>Dark Souls
Maybe not my favorite setting, but one of my favorities.
>something bad
It's vague as fuck.

Real life is still the most detailed and in-depth setting to date.

>favorite system
Runequest
>something bad
It leaves a lot of spaces left to be filled in. It doesn't provide any specifics on setting. While this could be viewed as a good thing, it's not desirable for GMs looking to run a quick game. Also I can't find anyone who wants to play it.

4e is very well balanced.
>>
>>49721168
The Liarsoft Steampunk universe has WAY too many modern-day luxuries to call itself "steampunk".
.hack has pretty awesome character designs, then again it is inspired by Phantasy Star Online
Toughness in Savage World is broken in a bad way. The game benefits hilariously from escalation die.
Mythender has some neat narrative concepts
>>
>>49721168
Spelljammer - It can be really weird at times, to the point where players need to read a whole book just to know what things are and what's going on.

Eberron - I like the Dragonmarked houses, they really help when making a character and they serve as driving forces for adventure and plot.

Don't Rest Your Head - The game handles vertical advancement very poorly. You can't really 'level up' at all. Also, there's basically no rules whatsoever for equipment, as far as I can tell.

D&D 5E - Advantage and Disadvantage are great mechanics, and I like that magic items are optional treasures instead of a core game mechanic.
>>
>>49721168

>Something bad about your favorite setting
The Abyssals in Exalted are too edgelord, especially compared to the grayness of the other Exalted. There's room along the hero-villain spectrum for Exalted, but the Abyssals are either cackling villains or paladins who want to redeem themselves.

>something good about a setting you hate
Forgotten Realms may be basic medieval fantasy, but it's the one most players feel the most familiar with since it has most fantasy tropes.

>something bad about your favorite system
Charms always take a long time when creating characters in Exalted, no matter which edition.

>something good about a system you hate
The Cypher System was super easy on the GM side of the table. Streamlining combat and every other kind of roll was awesome and made for a more organic experience. Players were always engaged because they were always rolling.
>>
When it comes to implementing the various creatures, it would require either an encyclopedia of all the information, or for them to all feel extremely generic. (Digimon, but Pokemon is accurate too)

There is a faction for any sort of story that you want to tell. (40K)

>say something bad about your favourite system
Way too many of the classes and feats require your GM to OK it or in some cases even allow them to be any use. (PTU)

Takes a few seconds to explain it, and a few minutes to optionally create a character. (RTD)
>>
>tfw no matter how much you try you literally cannot find anything good about the setting of Beast: The Primordial
>>
>>49721193
>Pathfinder
>>
File: laughing sluts.jpg (113KB, 389x251px) Image search: [Google]
laughing sluts.jpg
113KB, 389x251px
>>49721786
You know how I know you're a """progressive""" liberal?

>The inability to face anything outside of your comfort zone.
>>
40k is too bloated for it's own good
vampires are kinda fun i guess
neuroshima uses way too much %s
dnd started tabletop rpgs
>>
>>49721775
Lol, so edgy. "Pretty much everything is just sit straight outta the gate."
>>
>>49740357
Did Neuroshima ever get an English translation?
>>
>>49740247
I thought that was how you knew you where baby-boomer?
>>
>>49741781
no, i don't think so. shame though, best post-apocalypse system created
>>
>>49742078
Mind telling anything about it to us poor anglofags?
>>
>>49742178
I could try, but you encounter very large language barrier. This is very polish game which constantly winks to the player.
Like, I saw foreigners comparing it to mad max and fallout, but that's not it. Entire "feel" is different(closer to russian literature, Strugatsky especially).
But I might try poorly do it.

So entire game is set in america, in either 2038 or 2037, Mississippi is bubbling mutated mess where only biggest bad-asses survive. Texas is as traditional as ever. Hegamony is what was left out of new mexic(long story short most hardcore prisoners from there broke out). Appalachian Mountains region runs on some weird kind of feudalism system. New York is totalitarian state(and has their own coin). Detroit is, umm, well, still detroit. And Miami is mud region where poor literally drown in it while rich live in high buildings. Also the post which is humanity's last bastion against moloch.
There's neojungle on the south in mexico.
And Moloch in the north.
Both are nasty shity.(like kidnapping humans to use them for their machines/plants nasty)
Moloch is kinda like skynet but way more batshit insane with it's programs constantly changing, machines going out of control and so on.
Oh, and there is no connection between cities, gangers go as they please. some cities are batshit insane(like entire city full of hardcore vegetarians who kill if you eat meat) and faith was reborn. Did i mention that salt lake city is the center of it?

Also i liked the addition of "colors" or determining the mood of the session.
Chromium which is laidback and hedonistic
Rust which is mostly about dwelling on the past
Steel which is about humans trying to survive in this unforgiving world
Mercury which is about how futile players' actions are, they are going to die anyway

such a mess, gosh
>>
>>49721168
Uh. What do I do if these are all the same thing?
>>
>>49721168
Warhammer/40k has way too much going on at once, sorta pulls itself in a million directions as I see it

Forgotten realms I honestly don't know much about it, but I really like how detailed it can be over such a large space.

D&D 5e is good, but really not one size fits all, there's plenty of room for improvement.

D&D 4e had Dark Sun II, which was fucking awesome
>>
>In general: The fetish bait aspects of the game tended to overshadow the incredible worldbuilding and lore. In tabletop: The create-a-world system really requires everyone to be on the same page because tone is so important.

>It's an interesting setting if you excise the metaplot bullshit and the MUH HONOR idiocy.

>NO ONE FUCKING PLAYS IT. Also combat is swingy as fuck and the new supplement is pretty broken, which sucks because it's so cool on paper. Megaman + Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, fuck yeah.

>It's uh... got some nice art in the book? Despite being a translation, most of the words are spelled correctly?
>>
>>49742455
>Colors

Oh shit, I thought only Ryuutama did that. Neat.
>>
>>49721168
>Is currently owned by Microsoft and being beaten to death by people who don't understand the allure of it, at least the tabletop and books are alright
>I honestly don't have enough of a varied enough taste to hate any setting and thus name something good about one
>More of a fault on me and my rolls but proficiency bonus in D&D is mediocre because it either makes you nearly succeed at something or makes you get 20 when 18 or 17 would have been fine
>Again, not that much of a varied taste, I'm new to traditional games, I really like it all though
>>
>Favorite Setting
I hate the fact that 40k makes people so god damn mad about the most superfluous bullshit.
>Setting I hate
I guess Exalted can make people feel powerful if they're into power fantasies and all that shit.
>Favorite System
Full Auto is hilariously unbalanced until Black Crusade.
>System I hate
I guess d20 is popular for a reason.
>>
>>49735530
/tg/ hates most popular things (40K being a humorous exception), no surprise they're assblasted over FR. It gets too much hate, even if it's not a great setting.
>>
File: 1451948167378.gif (166KB, 267x199px) Image search: [Google]
1451948167378.gif
166KB, 267x199px
>>49721168
Dark Sun introduced Thri-Kreen, which work in Dark-Sun, but not anywhere else, despite everyone's insistence on people trying to include them everywhere, which is frustrating.
Forgotten realms had the time of troubles metaplot period, which was pretty cool
4e combat can take a really long time until the party gets used to it
It can be really fun to build characters in 3e
>>
>>49746211
>The fetish bait aspects of the game tended to overshadow the incredible worldbuilding and lore.
Now, of course, we're curious as for what it is.
>>
>>49748674
Ar tonelico.
>>
>>49739266
She also has a skinny neck.
>>
>>49749076
Tragically, all the fat in her body went somewhere else.
>>
>>49748843
Where's the fetish fuel there?
>>
>>49735530
My problem with FR is that there are so many high level NPC's who can solve any fucking problem.

PC's always feel forced during high level play because Elminster could just show up and fix anything instantly.
>>
>>49721168
New World of Darkness have some really shitty factions and antags in it.

WH40K can be fun in the rare hands.

GURPS is hard to get in, iff you don't have the right directions. You can't just take the book off the shelf and start playing.

*W is fast.
>>
>>49749881
Supposedly. The guys who made the books those high level NPCs are statted in were clearly better at imagining them to be amazing than at their own game mechanics. Most of them are pathetically poorly built. Whatshername the leader of the Harpers, level 23 character, supposedly more than a match for archedevils and epic level heroes, would get SLAUGHTERED by a regular beholder because she's just THAT poorly built, mechanically.
>>
>>49748843
Only a hypocrite cretin would say that the fanservice overshadows the plot and setting there. Favorite setting my ass.
>>
>>49750404
What's it about?
>>
>>49721408
What is cops?
>>
>>49749744
Shitty waifu bait characters, unnecessary equation of like 90% of a reyvateil's existence with sex (we're gonna make the existence of the medicine they take to keep them from dying at fucking 20 into an extended metaphor for losing your virginity! Reyvateils who use their skills for therapy are prostitutes! STRIP YOUR CLOTHES TO POWER UP!), the fact that the third game exists.

>>49750404
Do elaborate.

>>49751336
Basically, the setting's one where all magic is created by homunculi (and girls descended from those homunculi) called Reyvateil, who have a mental link to one of the three great supercomputer complexes that basically hold the world together at this point. Said magic takes the form of songs that include commands to the computer in its operating language of Hymmnos (a fully fleshed-out conlang).

The plots tend to be pretty generic save the world stuff, but the song magic thing isn't just a conceit - said magic spells make up a pretty big chunk of the battle themes in each game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iiIMgor8F8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEW3VQiRdQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6XJ_GAlRHI

There's also a SHITTON of worldbulding - apparently the director originally came up with the setting for a tabletop game (so sayeth wikipedia) so there's a lot of focus on mythology, lore, and just how the song magic actually works - browse the Ar Tonelico wikia for a while if you want an idea of just how much.
>>
>>49752065
Some French game, IIRC.
>>
>>49752127
Need I to say more? You yourself shot in the foot saying that idiocy that the characters are just shitty waifu bait, that Dive Therapy is prostitution (thanks for missing out on the entire point behind it, you stupid Grand Bell-propaganda brainwashed drone) and that Diquility and Diving are only sex metaphors, and that the third game is nothing but fanservice. You only demonstrate your ignorance by spouting that bullshit.

And I'd like to see you name games where the plot is redeeming the antagonist, bringing the people together for the creation of land as the world falls apart or having to perform a planetary-scale heart surgery if their plots are as generic as you claim.
>>
>>49721388
>GR
Is this readable somewhere?
a link perhaps, please?
>>
>>49734759
I like your favorites taste. how long have you been playing DG? I'm about to start DMing it and I'm looking forward to the way the players are able to stand up to the 'unknowable abyss" and keep it down with their blood sweat and tears. I also like how it tears those same characters apart brick by brick, and that even if they are able to fight off what they can shoot or expload, they can never keep the lid locked on what is beyond.
>>
>>49742455
that's awesome. I love looking at external observations on the US, cause it from the inside it's hard to find ones that are not overly tinted by america's own views of it'self.

What's happening in the rocky mountains/west coast? Is it all Moloch?
>>
>>49721168

>Favourite setting
Glorantha/Runequest

There is so much stuff out there you could use or ignore and it is a fucking pain to get that stuff together for a working game.

>Setting I hate
Pathfinder/ the dar eye

It's accesible and creates a nice comfy atmosphere for beginners and simple games with friends. / If i want to play a whole session about a group of adventurers renting a ship, i would play a ship-renting-freeform.

>Favourite System
Mongoose Traveller
What is the problem with proper editing ? The rules are a mess. I have the rules for muliple years and only found out recently that some software gives boni to certain items, not skills.

>System I hate
3.pf

It tries to give the players a chance to make ther class mechanically unique to their playstile via feats and archetypes.
>>
>>49742455
Awww, man.

As a native English speaker (profession: game designer and content writer) who lives in Poland and speaks Polish, would there be any way to help out with a translation?
>>
>>49750031
>>49749881
>>49735530
So, to resolve that, the designers did away with the overpowered PCs by moving the setting forward some 100 years, resulting in the world going through not one but two cataclysmic transformations.

Now the situation is so horribly complicated that I have no desire to read about it.

Any lore I pick up about Forgotten Realms, half the time I am not sure which of the many versions it pertains to, and when I do enventually encounter good old lore from the setting, I either can't use it because it was erased, or don't know if I can use it because I have no awareness of whether it has continuity with the transformed setting.

tl;dr: Whining about a problem got the problem solved, but created a whole separate clusterfuck of other problems.
>>
>40k

I could write you multiple posts on the stupid bullshit that goes on in 40k. I like it because it's an intentionally inconsistent setting where you can take the parts you like and ignore the parts you don't. If this were a setting that actually expected me to accept that, as an example, three out of four Chaos gods were created by the actions of half of one planet while the fourth was brought into existence by a galaxy-spanning civilization with a minimum of several thousand fully populated worlds, I would ditch it in a heartbeat. That's not even the stupidest thing in 40k lore, but if I start talking about the dumbfucks who miss the joke and try to play everything completely straight, we'll be here all day.

>Dragonlance

Most of the characters are actually quite decent, the villains are usually pretty badass so you feel badass for opposing them with any degree of success, and it's one of the few D&D settings that's set up to regularly have titanic wars. Really, if the authors weren't completely enamored with kender and gully dwarves and kept shoving them into every fucking thing and trying to make me accept that they're hilarious and charming instead of interminable, I would actually like Dragonlance okay.

>3.X

Honestly, I'd probably be playing 5e if I hadn't spent like a decade house ruling 3.5e and PF into what is basically my own edition of the game before 5e was released. The actual 3.5e and PF systems are horrifically imbalanced and way too difficult to explain to a new player.

>4e

Skill challenges in general were a bad idea, but /other than that/ the skill system was very good. The skill list wasn't a bloated mess like in most other RPGs and there was no fiddling around with skill points, the skills you trained just got better over time automatically. 5e did all of this better, but 5e didn't exist when 4e was written, so it was the best skill system in town for a while.
>>
>>49735530

/tg/ hates it when you like what they don't like. The thing /tg/ hates the most is not the thing which is the worst in quality, but the most popular thing that they don't like. Even if they would've been more indifferent than resentful of it in a vacuum.
>>
>>49739275
There's a spell for that.
>>
>>49734653
I meant support past just the second edition.
>>
>>49759202
This. I would also add it's really easy to resent something you've spent too much time with.
>>
>>49721168
Elder Scrolls - The setting refuses to acknowledge its own mistakes, instead making up shit reasons for why things are the way they are instead of just retconning.

Eberron - Sharn is comfy, and some of the magitech is done well.

Pathfinder - It's broken as fuck and the only reason it's my 'favorite' is because it's the one I'm most comfortable with because it's all anyone plays and it can be wrangled into relative working order. Also Golarion is closely tied with Eberron for my least favorite setting.

Shadowrun - There's a lot of room for character options, which I like, and a lot of rule-of-cool which I also like.
>>
>>49721674
Now I feel like a freak for not having played PF, I played several campaigns of 3.5 though, does that count.
>>
>>49760413
close enough really
>>
>>49721621
Wait, are you my SR3 GM?

I don't think he knows about Spelljammer, though.
>>
Uresia is firmly set in 90s anime, for better and worse. Its weeaboo for a number of players and too outdated for current animu watchers
Faerun is highly accessible at every fantasy angle, and the author has been nothing less than the old uncle you wish DMed your games
PbtA is everywhere but all of them suffer from a lack of solid structure. Playbooks are too simplified in every presentation to the point that progression feels underwhelming, or straight up broken if you start using 3rd party works. It also dips deep into the hippy side of current gaming with some products focused on being blatant about societal messages rather than being a viable game
Situational Aspects in Fate is really streamlined and does wonders to cloth narrative over actions instead of the next player just going 'I try to hit it with my sword'
>>
>>49762325
Isn't Uresia one of the premade settings for BESM?
>>
>>49764131
Yeah, but the author, S John Ross, has ownership of it and did a system agnostic update to the setting a few years ago, doubling the size of the original content (which wasn't a huge amount to begin with, but still)
>>
>>49764440
Yeah, but like, can you really complain about something being firmly set in 90's anime when it was made in the 90's for a game about the anime of the period?
>>
>>49764615
It's not bad, it's just a fact. It makes it less suitable for people looking for anything else, which is something you got to take into account if you ever want to run it.
Thread posts: 172
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.