[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

calendar of your setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: calendar.jpg (917KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
calendar.jpg
917KB, 1024x819px
tell me /tg/ what is so special about the Year 0 of the calendar of your setting?
>>
Baelog the Conquering King slew Axos the Titan and drove him into the Underworld. Thereafter he and the other human Pantheon Enoch the Sage and Meridia the Soul-Usher founded the Argentum Empire.

However while plummeting into the Underworld, Axos broke apart and created the three Sons of the Titan, Malignoth, the Eye; Grumaash, the Hand, and Nixulaub, the Bones. Of the three, The Eye seeks vengeance on the current Humans by sending his army of nothiks to harvest Soul-Crystals from Argent Tombs.
>>
This raises a question for my history-addled atrophied brain.

What did pre-christian calendars use as their 0-points?
>>
>>49712072
It was when the largest powers got together and agreed upon an international calendar because of how much time and money was being spent trying to find out what date format a document was using. It became known as the Recorded Year, and the first day was First Day of Spring, First Recorded Year.

The old dates were used informally for about 30-40 years, and official documents used both years for about two decades. A book that provides reference for about a century's worth of old dates converted to Recorded Years is a common sight even 900 years later.
>>
>>49712173
Usually number of years of dynasties of kings.
>>
>>49712173
Anno Urbis Conditae
>>
>>49712173
Romans counted years based on the current Emperor, the Islamic calendar runs the date from something the liar mohammad did, the Jewish calendar starts from what they believe to be the date of the Creation.

Major events of important people seems to be the starting point, it wasn't until 1500 years ago we had an international agreement.
>>
File: DD penumb 4.jpg (939KB, 3444x2596px) Image search: [Google]
DD penumb 4.jpg
939KB, 3444x2596px
>>49712072
The Restored Era begins with the coronation of Prince Yoryn the Blessed after deposing the Tyrant of Goth.
>>
>>49712173
>Sire, we're to start festivities to welcome new year minus 537.
>Of course, high priest, but pry tell, why are we using this whole minus count for years? What happens when we get to year 0?
>Because so it was foretold. so shall it be, sire. As for the year 0, we're not quite sure, world will end or something.
>>
>>49712258
>Europe BUT BACKWARD
really, m8
>>
>>49712263
That joke was done in Dinosaurs, where the calendars go backwards
>>
>>49712173
Usually some date was set as 0 and they went from there, like Long Count or the Roman system. Alternately you go with "Year X of King/Emperor Y"

>>49712245
>Romans counted years based on the current Emperor
I thought they went with years since the founding of Rome
>>
>>49712296
Ripping Europe is a long tradition in Fantasy, sir! WHFB, Valkyria Chronicles...
>>
>>49712332
They used both.
>>
>>49712317
IIRC it was also a thing in Requiem Chevalier Vampire where time goes backwards somehow.

It can totally work as a plot element. Majority of setting strongly believes in some foretold event, the time measurement system is countdown to it.
>>
>>49712245
>the Islamic calendar runs the date from something the liar mohammad did

Subtle /pol/
>>
>>49712072
Shit, whatever, might as well make a calendar for muh setting now.
Year 0 is when the new gods (former mortals) were appointed by the elder gods to new positions in the lower pantheon after they saved the material plane from a terrible evil.
Then the higher pantheon mostly fucked off to their own business and left the material plane to the new gods. The calendar is based off of farming, mostly, because the cataclysm was that bad.
New Year is basically the same as ours, perhaps a bit earlier, and, coincidentally starts at about the same time farmers took the time to make and repair new tools.
The end of each season is more important than its beginning, except for the beginning of the year(which is also an end)
>Water Season
>Water I (New Year's Tears: Honor those fallen in the past, as the new gods did when the world returned to light.)
>Water II
>Water III (Dry Tears Month, represents 'moving on' from past tragedy. Resolutions are made here rather than at the year's start, because the tone of the year has already been set.)
>Wind Season
>Wind I
>Wind II
>Wind III (Changing Winds: Time to check up on that resolution you made.)
>Fire Season
>Fire I
>Fire II
>Fire III (Harvest. Obvious reason is obvious.)
>Earth Season
>Earth I
>Earth II
>Earth III (Darkmonth, with the end of the month celebrated with lifestock slaughter and a feast to signal the end of the darkness)
>>
>>49712245
>it wasn't until 1500 years ago we had an international agreement
Make it 100. October Revolution happened in November.
>>
>>49712072
Most calendars don't have a Year zero, with Hindu and Buddhist calendars being notable exceptions.

You're probably looking for Year 1.
>>
Year 0 was preceded by half a century of decline (at best) or chaos (at worst) across most of the continent as various successor states tried to maintain or break free of the legacy of a great empire based on slavery and goetic arcana after the empire's heartland was hit by a virulent plague of madness and corruption that rendered it nonfunctional as a political base. In Year 0, a prophet arose and formed a religion which quickly turned into a slave uprising and, within a couple of centuries, formed a new enlightened cultural hegemony over the majority of the lands which remained habitable after the corruption of the Empire.
>>
>>49712072
The jötun landed made first landing in the nighless lands and the ji found the ruin of jaak.
>>
File: Araman.jpg (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Araman.jpg
1MB, 1024x768px
1 Year: 15 Months, 335 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes.
1 Day: 27 hours
1 Month: 22/23 days

Every 3 years one of the months is 24 days.
Every 540 years one of the months that is normally 22 days is 23 days.

New Year is the first day of spring.
Year 1 is the founding of the capital of the main empire in the setting.
>>
>>49712408
Frankly that's more like /his/ these days.
>>
File: worldmap v05s.jpg (2MB, 4190x2250px) Image search: [Google]
worldmap v05s.jpg
2MB, 4190x2250px
>>49712296
really
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.