[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Egyptian World Building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 113

I want to create an Egyptian themed fantasy setting for DnD/Pathfinder.

Where do you find your inspiration for building settings, what pitfalls should I avoid?
>>
>>49705667
Are you going to be using the Pharaonic pantheon, or adapt one of your own?

A few notes regardless vis-a-vis cosmology or religion.

1) Everyone goes to the Afterlife unless they were really shitty, in which case they get fed to Am-mit. Their soul is then well and truly destroyed. But you have to be particularly shitty for this to happen.

2) The Afterlife is exactly like this life, but
a) it's forever, and
b) it's *awesome*. No, seriously, even peasants live like kings, and kings live like super-kings. Everything is great, there is no war or strife, and although you're in basically the same position you were in life (i.e., a farmer is still a farmer), it's just somehow *better*.

3) The entire land is just stunningly optimistic. As far as the people are concerned even the current world isn't that bad. The Nile floods regularly and dependably. There is thousands of miles of desert on either side of you protecting you from foreign invaders. Food is plentiful, nice things like gold and marble are plentiful. Death, while not sought, is also not feared, since the Afterlife is so awesome (the Egyptians stood in stark contrast to the folk of the Levant, Greece, and Mesopotamia in this regard - their afterlives were usually described as dull and drab)

4) CATS ARE THE BEST.

5) Your writing system is needlessly complex, but it is so because the scribes *want* it to be so. If everyone learns how to read then they'll be out of a job, after all.

6) Speaking of, your civilization is OLD. Like, seriously ancient. The Pyramids of Giza were constructed in 2500 BC or so. They were older to Caesar than Caesar is to us. And when said Pyramids were built, Egyptian civilization was already 900 years old (3400 BC), and THAT only marks the unification of Upper and Lower Egypt, which had started farming the land there more than two thousand years before THAT (5500 BC), or even earlier.
>>
>>49705817
I have a list of names for the gods I've been thinking of so far. They're pretty similar to the Egyptian pantheon though the alignments have been moved around. Most of them are represented by an animal, but a few aren't.

Kematshas - Goddess of Rain and of Fertility - The Rain Drop
Neutral - Tempest, Life

Ptis - God of Plague and of illness - The Fly
Chaotic Evil - Death

Na-Rehp - Goddess of Battle - The Lion
Lawful Neutral - War

Pashset - God of the Sun - The Sun
Lawful Good - Light, Life

Nephset - Goddess of the Moon and of Magic - The Cat
Chaotic Neutral - Knowledge, Trickery

Rhet - Goddess of Civilisation - The Pyramid
Lawful Good - Knowledge, War

Thih - God of the Desert - The Hourglass
Neutral Evil - Nature

Apapsis - God of the River and Agriculture - The Crocodile
Neutral - Life, Nature

Karamentonen - God of Death - The Jackal
Lawful Evil - Death

Soni-vaphra - Goddess of Medicine - The Leech
Neutral Good - Life

I'm not so sure about how different races would work. I'm thinking maybe there should be something special about the royal line at least. They'd typically have a patron God, and during their reign, the cult of that God would have a lot more influence than the others.
>>
>>49705817
7) SERIOUSLY, CATS ARE AWESOME. Bastet started out as a relatively minor divinity but was hugely popular among children and the common folk and as a result just kept getting elevated, until eventually she was a major deity. She is also the ORIGINAL cat girl.

8) There are no planes of existence, really. Everything is instead described in terms of a vague direction. The Afterlife is a place you can physically reach if you walk far enough to the West, for example. The Sun is a solar barge that is actually floating high in the sky.

9) Speaking of, you'd actually do well to watch the movie Gods of Egypt. It's...surprisingly good inspiration, and is really fun even if it is exceptionally stupid.

10) The Pyramids and other major wonders of Egypt were not built by slaves, but rather by farmers during the dry season, when no farming could be done. They were the exact opposite of mistreated: they were paid good wages, cared for with the best medicines and medical work available at the time (admittedly, not very good, but that's due to the time, not the intent), the families of those who died during the construction were well compensated. This is due to what the Pyramids were really all about: for six months of the year, no farming can be done in Egypt. Farmers who can't farm don't have much to do and so will likely sit around a lot and talk to one another. Sooner or later they might ask a question like "hey, is our Pharaoh really a god?" So, to prevent that: public works projects to keep the farmers busy (but also happy).

11) Speaking of which, the Pharaohs are gods.

12) Most civilizations thought of themselves as being in a state of decline: there was a previous Golden Age of myth and legend and great heroes, but someone screwed things up and today things are notably worse. Egypt didn't do that. Things in the past were pretty good. Today is pretty good too. And tomorrow? That'll be swell. Again, the Egyptians were, as a civilization, extremely optimistic.
>>
>>49705856
>I'm not so sure about how different races would work.

I'd ditch them and come up with new ones that better fit the setting. Going off of the races in the PFSRD...

- Human, obviously.
- Aasimar for Pharaohs.
- Catfolk, who live in the southern lands
- Ifrits
- Oreads
- Nagaji
>>
>>49705856
The God of Death being evil is a fundamental mistake. It's actually pretty antithetical to how the Egyptians viewed death and the afterlife.
>>
>>49705817
>afterlife

Just how terrible do you have to be to get fed to the hippo-lion-dile?
>>
>>49705667
WE
>>
>>49705930
WUZ
>>
>>49705930
>>49705951
Your memes end here.
>>
>>49705962
HOL UP
>>
>>49705817
>Everyone goes to the Afterlife
Isn't that mostly late Egypt? Didn't early Egyptians believe only Pharaohs went to the afterlife? And is there a reason why Egyptians thought cats were awesome? Egypt doesn't strike me as the place to have lots of mouse plagues.
>>
>>49705900
Now, what he could do is have an evil-aligned god who POFANES death - either by adding undue sorrow to it (making people die alone, or in agony, or humiliatingly, or by their own hand) or by breaking the cycle (necromancy).
>>
>>49705962
*SMACKS LIPS*
YOU SAYIN
>>
File: Untitled.png (51KB, 954x767px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
51KB, 954x767px
>>49705925
You'd probably have to have significantly violated the 42 Negative Confessions. As far as I'm aware the Egyptians believed the majority of people made it to the Afterlife even though there's no way that any Egpytian could stand before the 42 Assessors of Ma'at and stated all 42 Negative Confessions truthfully, so presumably there's some leeway or allowances made. Like most religions, everything can mostly be summed up as "don't be a douche and you'll probably be okay".
>>
>>49705900
Where would you put the evil deity then? Should there not be one at all?
>>
>>49706001
>>49706001
WE WUZ KANGZ AND SHIEEEEEEET
>>
File: 1458073829191.png (1MB, 875x1279px) Image search: [Google]
1458073829191.png
1MB, 875x1279px
>>
>>49705992
Yeah, that would work. On the whole Egyptians probably wouldn't like Necromancy, amusingly enough.

>>49705987
>And is there a reason why Egyptians thought cats were awesome? Egypt doesn't strike me as the place to have lots of mouse plagues.

And that's exactly because of the cats. Remember that cats aren't really domesticated, and human interaction within them is much shorter than it is for dogs (dogs have been human companions for more than 40,000 years; cats, maybe 9,000 at the outside). Egypt is also, again, fucking OLD.

As a culture they remembered how cats basically started showing up one day (modern domestic cats originate from the Abyssinian breed, out of modern Ethiopia) and killing mice in their granaries. Cats also killed snakes, and were smart enough as a species to be friendly with humans and relatively patient with human children. The Egyptians also noticed (but didn't quite understand why) that after cats showed up, disease decreased (because cats were killing mice and rats, who were hosts to fleas and ticks which carried disease - the Egyptians didn't understand that part). So cats became associated with protection, and eventually deified in the form of Bastet.

>Didn't early Egyptians believe only Pharaohs went to the afterlife?

Not to my knowledge, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>49706005
for most of its history none of the Egyptian gods were particularly evil, some where destructive by nature of their role though. It wasn't until the dying days of the civilization that Set started to be seen as an evil diety (largely on account of being the god of, among other things, foreigners)
>>
File: 1443178388824.jpg (538KB, 1327x700px) Image search: [Google]
1443178388824.jpg
538KB, 1327x700px
>>
File: 1464680662800.png (80KB, 339x355px) Image search: [Google]
1464680662800.png
80KB, 339x355px
>>49706039
Makes sense. I guess that also obligates you to include catgirl guardians who silently and stoically watch over men but are at the same time somewhat approachable in any Egyptian setting. Such a shame, considering that's not my fetish at all, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
>>
>>49706005
Just don't use alignments
They're unnecessary
>>
File: 6526b308f53747f09b1d23c048eb99d1.jpg (190KB, 818x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6526b308f53747f09b1d23c048eb99d1.jpg
190KB, 818x1200px
>>49705667
Are catgirls mandatory in Egyptian settings?
>>
there's a story from ancient Egypt I can vaguely remember which essentially culminates in a wizard battle, I specifically remember at one point one of the people conjured a cloud of darkness which the other then absorbed into his robes and shook off like dirt. Hopefully someone else knows which story I mean because I'm having trouble finding it
>>
File: image.jpg (611KB, 2039x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
611KB, 2039x1500px
>>49706005
Set was the lesser of the two Egyptian evil deities. He was the God of Deserts and Foreigners. He actually started out as benign and the principle god of Upper Egypt, but Horus (a god of Lower Egypt) overtook him in popularity and he became increasingly vilified, especially after Egypt suffered a series of invasions from Nubia and Kush (again, god of foreigners). For the most part Set wanted to be king of the gods but Horus out-fought and out-smarted him. Set was basically portraed as being too Chaotic Stupid to ever have a real go at being king of the Gods.

The real evil god was Apophis, or Apep, a monstrous serpent and being of primordial chaos and darkness who wanted to destroy all of creation in order to return it to nothingness. Apophis was never worshipped in Egypt, though, but rather warded against, and never, ever had a good side. He's got a fair bit more in common with Lovecraftian elder gods like Yog-Sothoth than any classical deities.
>>
>>49706060
Do gods work in DnD/Pthf without alignments? I figured it was important to any characters who worshipped them.
>>
>>49706069
Not mandatory, but if they're gonna be worked in anywhere, Egypt is the place to be.
>>
>>49706072
>>49706053
so basically the Egyptians blamed any problems caused by foreigners on Set
>>
>>49706078
Sort of. You can do what Eberron did and have the gods have alignments but remove the alignment restriction from clerics.

For the most part I'd keep alignments, however, as Egypt is actually a place where it could work. Most ancient societies were more concerned about the concepts of order verses chaos (particularly Mesopotamia and Canaan), but Egypt stands out in the ancient world as a place that genuinely stressed the idea of "good" and "evil" in addition to "order" and "chaos".
>>
File: 1403785127090.jpg (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1403785127090.jpg
58KB, 600x600px
>>49706070
I only remember such a story from a cartoon about Egyptians I watched as a kid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_(comics)
>>
File: pirâmide.jpg (24KB, 520x346px) Image search: [Google]
pirâmide.jpg
24KB, 520x346px
>>49705667
I read a lot, like these:
http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/index.html
I recomend the bestiary, egyptian water scorpions aren't anything to laugh at. The leopard with a snake's neck which looks like a brontossaur is also nice.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/index.htm

http://www.livius.org/articles/person/herodotus/herodotus-histories/
Herodotus comits several mistakes, but you don't mean to be historically truthful, right?

http://www.livius.org/articles/dynasty/ptolemies/?

http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/sea.htm
This is mostly about the greek bronze era, but there is a lot of overlap with Egypt, specially when it comes to the sea peoples? Ever heard of them? Sea raiders with horned helmets which fancied topless women and caused a dark age?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?700377-Official-AoB-Preview-5-The-Sea-Peoples

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?694843-Official-AoB-Preview-3-Egypt

Oh yes, art and architecture are only extensions of religion and administration. This made those fields extremely conservative.
>>
File: Hittites_1300bc.jpg (407KB, 1285x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Hittites_1300bc.jpg
407KB, 1285x1008px
>>49706086
Yup.

Oh, speaking of, further important note

14) Historically speaking, any attempt to invade the Egyptian heartland *succeeded*. Egypt was not good at repelling invaders that got a foothold in their civilization's core, though they were good at making like China and absorbing the invaders into themselves. Egypt was generally at its best when it could instead project power well *away* from the Nile, south into Nubia and Kush, east into Mesopotamia and the Levant, and west into Libya.

They were also never a maritime people by any means. They certainly had trade ships and probably maintained a decent navy at various times, but I can't think of any significant Egyptian naval actions having ever taken place.
>>
File: GizaPyramidComplex.jpg (65KB, 484x400px) Image search: [Google]
GizaPyramidComplex.jpg
65KB, 484x400px
>>49706103
>>
File: Tomb kings Egypt.jpg (107KB, 489x807px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb kings Egypt.jpg
107KB, 489x807px
>>49706114
>>
>>49706103
God I love the Sea People. Bronze age vikings that came almost literally out of nowhere, about which we know startlingly little, and who wrecked the shit of absolutely everyone who wasn't Assyrian.
>>
>>49706005
Most of the closest thing Egypt had to evil gods fall more into the category of 'necessary asshole' - because war and the desert suck, but they also protect, so the god(s) thereof are dicks but fight against invaders and primordial monsters

>>49705667
I'd recommend Pyramids from the Discworld, partly because it's just a good read, but it also has some cool ideas

>>49705987
Egypt produces a shit-ton of grain. A ridiculous amount. During the period of Roman rule it was known as the breadbasket of the empire, and ships from Egyptian ports would supply the capital itself. So keeping mice out of the bread and beer supply (Egyptians also loved their beer) made cats pretty highly regarded
>>
>>49706125
Except that one of the major sources we have about the "Sea Peoples" is an engraving by Ramses III which describes how they wrecked everyone else's shit and then he sent them packing.
>>
>>49706072
let us not forget that Set's job was to fight Apophis, every day.
>>
File: WHY.jpg (7KB, 180x308px) Image search: [Google]
WHY.jpg
7KB, 180x308px
>>49706103
>egyptian water scorpions aren't anything to laugh at.
you damn right! these fuckers were real!
>>
Seeing as we're on the subject of Egyptians anyway, I'd like to know a bit more abuot Roman Egypt. I know that the Romans in Gaul mixed with the native population and created a new Gallo-Roman language and culture (both of which affecting modern French). How did Roman, Greek and Egyptian culture mix in Egypt, if at all? As far as I know, the Latin language never got a foothold in the eastern empire and everyone used Koinè Greek as the lingua franca (which is also why the East Roman Empire simply stoppd speaking Latin after a while: nobody spoke it and Greek was more established/convenient). And if Marc Anthony had won the civil war, would we have seen Rome going in a more Egyptian direction?

Sorry for being such a dumbass
>>
>>
daily reminders that pyramids were not tombs
>>
>>49705868
Egyptian mythology sounds sounds so comfy.
>>
>>49706202
Now a Sphinx would make an interesting character. Would they be benevolent or perhaps something else? Would 4 times cooler than dragons.
>>
>>49706247
The way Egyptian mythology is being described in this thread, I could imagine them being kind of chill. They don't really care about humans, but they don't mind them either. Sometimes humans even have interesting things to say so it's worth keeping them around.
>>
When OP says Egypt World, it makes me wonder if he just means a fully fleshed out Egyptian region/continent with various races and cities and landmarks, or if he means an Egypt Planet. I'm intrigued by the idea of adapting the basic culture to different environments since its usually so intimately associated with its geography. What changes when the people who have that root Egyptian culture spread to snowy mountain regions, or vast grasslands, or dense jungle, and then spend 1000 years changing based on that new locale?
>>
>>49706321
I think there's possibility for conflict too. Perhaps the prophecy of a sphinx brings disaster to the kingdom and they suffer for it.
>>
>>49706187
>And if Marc Anthony had won the civil war, would we have seen Rome going in a more Egyptian direction?
Possibly, though reading through the events after Caesar's death is a huge clusterfuck.

Caesar and Anthony were both heavily influenced by Egypt - Caesar switched out the Roman calendar (which was admittedly shit, it was based on the phases of the moon) for the Egyptian one.
>>49706233
It's pretty comfy - even one of their war goddesses was also a god of partying
Probably helps that Egypt is pretty damn fertile and rich
>>
>>49706059
Just wanted to go out of my way and tell you that YOU are the reason I stopped going to /tg/

Always going on about the stupid fucking shit you want to menstruate to, and then pretending you're going to run that in a game and jerk your wiener about it afterwards. God forbid you do actually do that in which case KYS.

It is not funny, it is not clever, it is not board culture. Fucking STOP.
>>
>>49705817
13) Your commoner's culture is centered on being kind to each other and everybody formally doing their best to become a pillar of your community, according to grave inscriptions. You're basically ancient Sweden as far as gender equality before the law is concerned.
>>
>>49706421
>Always going on about the stupid fucking shit you want to menstruate to
Wat?
It was also one post in jest, bruh. If you can't handle a joke, maybe it really is a good idea for you to stop posting here.
>>
>>49706436
Mastrubate to*

Its not "one stupid joke" its the same joke over and over. Its not funny, take your smug animay picture and shove it up your ass and then leave.
>>
>>49706079
>Not mandatory, but if they're gonna be worked in anywhere, Egypt is the place to be.

Cannibal catgirl magicians aren't exactly unheard of in East asian stories.
>>
>>49706233
>Egyptian mythology sounds sounds so comfy.

Brothers viewing to see who can make the other eat cum first - OnlyEgypteanthings
>>
File: 1392643826124.jpg (293KB, 1200x1595px) Image search: [Google]
1392643826124.jpg
293KB, 1200x1595px
>>49706421
>I stopped going to /tg/
What the fuck are you even doing here?
>>
>>49705667
Wait for the Planeswalker's Guide to Amonkhet to come out.
>>
>>49706421
m8 monstergirls have been a part of /tg/ culture for a long, long time.

You seem rather upset. Maybe its time for bed
>>
>>49706494
Does WOTC even still do Planeswalker guides? I thought they stopped caring about such things a long time ago.
>>
File: 1443172237236.jpg (711KB, 919x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1443172237236.jpg
711KB, 919x1500px
>>
>>49706513
No, they do the artbooks instead. That way they can make money out of it while pretending they're pandering to the fanbase's desire for more art.
>>
File: 1443170626254.jpg (173KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1443170626254.jpg
173KB, 1680x1050px
>>
Perhaps any non-human races would be the result of humans being blessed by different gods. The snake god might have a few reptilian disciples, etc.
>>
>>49706421
I thught quests mde you stop going to /tg/.

And if you stopped going to /tg/, how did you read an entire thread to respond o the post you hate so much?
>>
>>49706002
>there's no way that any Egpytian could stand before the 42 Assessors of Ma'at and stated all 42 Negative Confessions truthfully, so presumably there's some leeway or allowances made.
The clergy specifically SOLD leeway to people. The fact that nobody could possibly pass all 42 without some leeway was a source of income.
>>
>>49706445
>>49706421
>phoneposters getting flustered
>>
>>49706520
>Make money.
>One guy buy the thing and scans it to the internet for everyone else.

lol NO.
>>
>>
>>
Campaign idea: The Party must quiet a potential full-scale rebellion by the slaves by seeking out the man rousing them with talk of prophecies and impending divine retribution upon their masters. The slave's leader is charismatic and a shrewd military tactician, and rumor has it he even commands powerful divine magics.

In a shocking twist, its ultimately revealed that the leader was the Pharoh's exiled younger brother, who was born a slave but raised in the palace after he was found floating in the river as an infant! Who could have seen THAT coming?!
>>
File: sweaty-1007-lg[1].jpg (22KB, 244x317px) Image search: [Google]
sweaty-1007-lg[1].jpg
22KB, 244x317px
>>49706634
>I came for the culture
>I stayed for the brownies
An apt description of both ancient Egypt and this thread.
>>
>>
File: Bastet_by_alli_sa-d4akrv0.jpg (177KB, 900x1371px) Image search: [Google]
Bastet_by_alli_sa-d4akrv0.jpg
177KB, 900x1371px
If cats are going to be so important. I like having 'Have you fed your cat today?' being a friendly greeting. Though in this case I think that the Cat goddess should become God of the home, divorcing it from the Goddess of the Moon/Magic.
>>
File: 1451249106206.png (53KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1451249106206.png
53KB, 1000x1000px
>>49707543
>If cats are going to be so important. I like having 'Have you fed your cat today?' being a friendly greeting.
Are those who are allergic to cats cursed?
>>
>>49707566
Unless they can spin the allergy into the concept of them having some sort of cat-sense that lets them detect cats. Yes.
>>
>>49706421
Hey everyone, get a load of this guy. He actually thinks monster girls are new to /tg/! Hah what a newhomosexualperson.
>>
File: 1443166952740.jpg (572KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1443166952740.jpg
572KB, 750x1000px
>>
>>49706180
That motherfucker looks custom-made for eating.

>lobster the size of a small cow
>but with normal sized lobster claws on stubby arms so he's easy to kill
Jesus, imagine a lobster with 200lbs+ of tail meat... Get me some butter and a really large pot of boiling water.
>>
>>49707794
And what God would be represented by the Scorpion?
>>
File: a6c5125f30297deee22a52ce98e4e6cf.jpg (204KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
a6c5125f30297deee22a52ce98e4e6cf.jpg
204KB, 1280x1024px
>>49706172
In older traditions; he was phased out of this job as he declined in popularity.

>>49706151
Most Pharaohs were known liars, though. Ramses II claimed to have hands-down won the Battle of Kadesh, for example, when we know that in fact it was at best a draw between the Egyptians and the Hittites, and indeed Egyptian influence in the region declined thereafter.

Ramses III claimed that he "let" them settle in southern Canaan, but it's just as likely that he simply was unable to stop their ingress and so simply claimed it as his idea after a successful battle or two that allowed him to get them to agree to stay out of Egypt. Suing for peace, in other words.

>>49706538
Huh, plenary indulgence in 2500 BC.

In a lot of ways the Egyptian religion was really ahead of its time, given how focused it was on morality and your eternal soul rather than merely explaining why shit happened in the real world.

>>49706800
Yes, yes, yes, Exodus. The issue is that slavery doesn't seem to have even been used in Egypt to any great extent until the New Kingdom, and that largely a result of Greco-Roman influence. There were three types:

- Chattel slaves were made up of prisoners of war or criminals. They were owned by the Pharaoh, who would then gift them to temples, soldiers, or other people who pleased him.
- Bonded labor, the result of a free Egyptian being sold into slavery to pay off debts. This was for a set period of time as agreed upon by the slaver and the debtor, and erased all debt. The debtor's wife and children also became slaves.
- Forced laborers/conscripted workers. This was a form of taxation, and conscripted workers were paid and weren't properly slaves as we think of the term. SEE my discussion on the building of the pyramids, above.

Slave children in Egypt were prevented by law from performing dangerous tasks or harsh physical labor.

Slaves of all stripes in Egypt were allowed to negotiate transactions and own personal property, too.
>>
File: Sea Peoples.jpg (748KB, 1776x1028px) Image search: [Google]
Sea Peoples.jpg
748KB, 1776x1028px
>>49705667
SEA PEOPLE WERE HERE! EAT DUNG CHILDREN OF THE OLD KINGDOM
>>
>>49706380
>the entire known world is a desert surrounding an inland sea/river/lake with not!Egypt all around and nothing beyond, just desert/mountains
>many different primitive nations used to exist but now they are all just provinces of the not!Egyptian empire
>>
File: giphy.gif (984KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
984KB, 500x281px
>>49707968
Serket, goddess of healing, fertility, nature, animals, magic, and healing venomous stings and bites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serket

She would eventually be merged with Isis and be seen as an aspect of her. Hmm, speaking of which, idea.

FUSIONS!

Egypt's history spanned over such an immense amount of time that various originally distinct gods were merged together, like Serket and Isis above. In a fantasy campaign setting this could be represented by actual fusions between the deities, for whatever reason. The ultimate fusion would be the fusion of Ra the sun god with whoever is currently the king of the gods.

Deities might also occasionally fuse with mortals for one purpose or another, rather than sending out avatars.
>>
>>49707976
>Most Pharaohs were known liars, though. Ramses II claimed to have hands-down won the Battle of Kadesh, for example,

How's that surprising in any way?
>>
>>49708051
Slightly different circumstance. America hands-down DID win the war in Iraq, since the government was dissolved, its standing army surrendered, and its leaders were executed or imprisoned We just sucked at rebuilding the place afterwards.
>>
File: 1392618332366.jpg (811KB, 2224x1402px) Image search: [Google]
1392618332366.jpg
811KB, 2224x1402px
>>
I'm thinking I need a big bad, or something antagonistic.
>>
>>49708086
>Horned helmets
>In a sea battle that far in the past
The artist is having a giggle, I think.

Anyway.

Egypt OP, here's an idea: what about parts of your Egyptian country having a large, single mountain in it here and there? So little of actual Egypt had chained mountains that there isn't really much cultural weight on them like there was for, say, the ancient Gauls.
>>
>>49706039
The funny thing is the lowered disease wasn't really from the cats killing off the fleas and ticks, as much as it was from the cats being so filthy that they boost childrens immune systems and change the entire biome of a home.
>>
>>49708115
Depending on how far back you go, Alexander the Great would be a pretty good antagonist.

I mean, he's basically the classic fantasy villain: A conqueror from a faraway land leading a vast and seemingly unstoppable army of darkness on a life-long campaign to conquer the world.
>>
I can't believe you faggots haven't even mentioned Pathfinders own take on Egyptian material.

OP, go look up the shit associated with the Mummy's Mask AP and Osirion.

Yeah, having this historical stuff is important, but don't forget the fantastical either.
>>
File: seapeoples63.jpg (28KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
seapeoples63.jpg
28KB, 250x300px
>>49708117
>The artist is having a giggle, I think.

No, the Sea Peoples really did have horned helmets, or some of them did, at least. There's a reason why they're colloquially called bronze-age Vikings (even though, yes, real Vikings didn't have horns on their helmets, we know).
>>
File: 62345.gif (105KB, 289x578px) Image search: [Google]
62345.gif
105KB, 289x578px
>>49705667
>>49706634
>>49707794
I've always found it funny how Egyptian fantasy is the only genre of fantasy art where the women are dressed more modestly than their actual historical counterparts.

Because Egyptian girls apparently loved skin-tight dresses that ended at the waist.
>>
File: seapeoples76.jpg (34KB, 222x215px) Image search: [Google]
seapeoples76.jpg
34KB, 222x215px
>>49708274
>>
File: 56456.jpg (21KB, 316x425px) Image search: [Google]
56456.jpg
21KB, 316x425px
>>49708277
...or wearing transparent clothing.
>>
File: 343564.gif (71KB, 268x295px) Image search: [Google]
343564.gif
71KB, 268x295px
>>49708287
...or literally just skimpy low-rise panties and some jewelry.
>>
File: 3456345.jpg (42KB, 302x397px) Image search: [Google]
3456345.jpg
42KB, 302x397px
>>49708296
...or a dress that's completely open in the front.
>>
>>49708277
Egypt is hot and clothing that fits you well is expensive. Children under the age of 6 went entirely naked, seeing as they'd grow out of their clothes fast and it wasn't really necessary for them to wear clothing at any time of the year, as long as they had a home and blankets they could be under at night.

Different culture, so different nudity taboos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_in_ancient_Egypt
>>
>>49708296
lewd
>>
File: SwiggitySwooty.png (54KB, 261x343px) Image search: [Google]
SwiggitySwooty.png
54KB, 261x343px
>>49708277
>>49708287
>>49708296
>>49708309

Nobody should have given Egyptian women the right to make my dick so hard.
>>
>>49705856
>A pap smear
>>
File: bast.jpg (55KB, 400x707px) Image search: [Google]
bast.jpg
55KB, 400x707px
>>49708348
The ORIGINAL cat girl.
>>
>>49708348
Ever wonder why Egypt kept getting conquered, but their conquerors always became decadent and lost their hold of Egypt soon after? Can't build an empire when you're too busy fugging the desert cuties.

It wasn't until Christianity and Islam tricked the Egyptians into giving up their lewdness that they became an irrelevant and permanently subjugated people.
>>
This stuff is mandatory listening. Ancient Egyptian history and mythology was fucking brutal at points
>>
>>49708277
>>49708287
>>49708296
>tfw no erp game where your character wears this shit

>>49708309
There's modern lingerie/nightwear like that.
>>
>>49708330
That article mentions that dress length was tied to social status, but didn't state which way it goes. So who's scantiest, nobles or poor people?
>>
>>49708474
Dunno. Logically I would assume longer dress = more material = more expensive = higher class.

But I know which way I would *want* it to go, and this is, after all, a fantasy setting, not a Real Life Simulator...
>>
>>49708505
What's the justification for it going the other way in a fantasy setting?
>>
>>49708517
royalty is allowed to flaunt their bodily divinity, whilst the plebians must hide themselves from the patrician gaze
>>
>>49708505
>But I know which way I would *want* it to go
No you don't. You know peasants outnumber the nobility by a hundred to one or so, right?

>>49708517
The leisure class of a society loves shit that's inconvenient, because it shows they can afford to wear inconvenient shit unlike those poor peasants who actually need practical clothes. Maybe it could be tied to spells or magical items that protect you against the elements? So wandering around half-naked in the snow would be a status symbol, showing you're above mere clothes and wear whatever you choose to wear purely for decoration? It would result in flamboyant outfits that cover everything except the things you'd want to cover with normal clothes. So borderline retarded anime shit like shirts that expose the entirety of the chest, or sleeves that aren't attached to anything, or five belts that don't even hold up your pants.
>>
File: Minoan_palace_scene_enlarged.jpg (163KB, 719x536px) Image search: [Google]
Minoan_palace_scene_enlarged.jpg
163KB, 719x536px
>>49708517
Fashion?

Both pic related and some Georgian England fashion trends were pretty revealing.
>>
>>49708474
Nobles wear less, they're not in the sun as much.
>>
File: 1432402040949.jpg (221KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1432402040949.jpg
221KB, 800x1200px
>>49708517
The rich can afford the Priesthood's expensive fleshcraft magic, thus they where fewer clothes to flaunt their literally "sculpted to perfection" body to their peers and to the plebians, the latter which must do all they can to hide their ignoble and unshapely forms from their betters

Also, I realized I need more Egyptian priest art
>>
>>49708541
>>49708505
>>49708474
It's worth noting that while rich ancient Egyptian qt3.14s wore longer dresses, they weren't necessarily more modest dresses.

You can use up a lot of fabric on an elaborately layered pleated dress and it's still lewd as fuck if the fabric is see-though. Arguably lewder than a cheap opaque short skirt would be.
>>
>>49708451
The Cycle of Cyann had one planet where everyone dressed in little to transparent clothes, but then again, the series also had a planet where strong privacy was something you paid for in advance and on a minute-basis.
>>
>>49708553
>The leisure class of a society loves shit that's inconvenient, because it shows they can afford to wear inconvenient shit unlike those poor peasants who actually need practical clothes. Maybe it could be tied to spells or magical items that protect you against the elements?
Or the wealthy simply stay away from the elements in cosy palaces heated at night and shaded in the day.

>>49708554
>and some Georgian England fashion trends were pretty revealing.
I haven't heard about this?
>>
>>49708583
I suppose that the less flesh you have covered, the more space you have left for fancy jewellery.
>>
>>49708583
Which reminds me, on the subject of race. Egyptians didn't think of themselves as being either white or black. Egyptians were notably xenophobic and probably thought of themselves as their own distinct race, if they thought about race as we understand the modern term at all.
>>
>>49708646
This is French not English but extremely low bodices were quite popular during the late 18th Century.
>>
>>49708553
>You know peasants outnumber the nobility by a hundred to one or so, right?

I don't see what this has to do with me wanting Pharaonic noble cuties wearing skimpy clothing.
>>
>>49708579
>managing to fit transformation/body modification into the setting too
This just gets better and better!
>>
>>49708753
Well it makes sense.

Just as Osirus was cut to pieces, then resculpted by Anubis, and just as the Dead are too remodeled and embalmed for their last rites, so too must the nobility come unto the servants of the gods to be resculpted in divine emulation of the Gods

Also, this allows the setting to have, instead of different races, different noble houses resculpting themselves to emulate the house's divine patrons.
>>
>>49708753
I could perhaps see it being something that the Priesthood does to ensure that knowledge isn't lost (And that the cult is always run by the chosen of the relevant God) but it'd be dumb if anyone could do it.
>>
>>49708753
>Flesh to Stone
>Stone Shape
>Stone to Flesh

Ta-da~! Fantasy D&D plastic surgery.

Only go to a licensed Magi-Petrosurgeon who has his Degree in Craft (Masonry) from an accredited school on display (with skill modifier). Never go to a Magi-Petrosurgeon who's Craft (Masonry) modifier is lower than +15. Make sure to sign all wavers. Understand that even common surgery always carries some risks.
>>
>>49708786
Well it would be very expensive. You'd need to be truly devoted or a large donor to a cult. It would be the kind of goal adventurers would go on quests seeking the wealth for.

And cheaper, riskier options are their own plot hook.
>>
File: Gottesgemahlin.jpg (65KB, 241x454px) Image search: [Google]
Gottesgemahlin.jpg
65KB, 241x454px
>>49708579
There isn't much that I can find. Which is weird.
>>
>>49708810
>>Stone Shape
>not just using Gloves of Shaping
though the problem is that stuff wouldn't net you the cool things live venom sacks, and other weird things
>>
What would be some decent conflict that could/did occur in Egypt, sparing the 'alien foreigner sows deceit' trope?
>>
>>49709029
Priest caste getting too powerful and rich and sparking civil war.
>>
>>49708695
Fun fact: the Egyptian word for "Egyptian" was the same word for "Person"
>>
>>49709037
Unlikely in a Theocracy. The rulers are supposed to be literal Gods, the priest-caste are their bureaucracy. Way more likely to have two different groups of priest pushing a different candidate for succession to the throne than a societal uprising against the priests.

Far more so in a Fantasy setting where they are wielding actual supernatural god-powers.
>>
>>49709082
Fun fact: The American term for "Person" actually denotes a type of aggressive pest insect in their language.
This has given rise to the opinion that they're in fact being ruled by very sarcastic reptile people from space.
>>
>>49709029
Long Dead Ruler becomes super-unhappy with how his descendant is managing things (not enough whipping, girls covering up their breasts, whatever), decides to rouse himself and his servants and "straighten things out".
But he was a bit of a shit as Pharoah, so there's a lot of support for the current ruler, and you have a split amongst the "no-fun" traditionalists and the people happy with the current order of things, it's the new guy's turn to run the Kingdom after all...
>>
>>49709087
Except something similar really did happen. The High Priests at Karnak effectively ruled the country for over a century.

There were real tensions between some dynasties and the priests. The temples were extremely wealthy and most tomb robbing was carried out by priests.
>>
>>49709087
There's a theory that Akhenaten's monotheism shit-show was an attempt to lessen priests' power (what with him being the only priest of his new order), so it's not entirely out of question.
>>
>>49709082
Most languages have something like that.
>>
If the gods are active then it's always possible for them to fight for whatever reason. That'd be quite the mess.
>>
>>49709029
Pharaoh bans worship of all gods except for one that used to be a very minor god with no real priesthood, he declares himself the head (and only) priest of the new One True God
>>
>>49709172
>>49709178
That's a religious conflict for power, not a popular uprising against greedy priests.
>>
>>49709336
Nobody said popular uprising. The suggestion was for a civil war or other societal conflict between the temple and the palace.
>>
>>49708437
This desu
>>
>>49706072
>The real evil god was Apophis, or Apep, a monstrous serpent and being of primordial chaos and darkness who wanted to destroy all of creation in order to return it to nothingness. Apophis was never worshipped in Egypt, though, but rather warded against, and never, ever had a good side. He's got a fair bit more in common with Lovecraftian elder gods like Yog-Sothoth than any classical deities.
Asshole tried to eat Ra while he flew across the sky every day with his son and daughter, Anhur and Bastet. I believe Bastet is credited with killing Apep herself.
>>
File: Bastet.jpg (91KB, 722x948px) Image search: [Google]
Bastet.jpg
91KB, 722x948px
>>49706069
In as many words, yes. Cats really were a big fucking deal in Egypt, and, as mentioned in the thread, Bastet herself grew to major prominence as time went on. She is recognized as Ra's daughter, goddess of cats, and a goddess of sex and pleasure among other things. Also, she's one of my SMITE waifus, even though I don't play SMITE anymore.
>>
>>49709601
>a goddess of sex and pleasure among other things
>>
>>49709644
Yes. Yes they do.
>>
>>49705667
Check out the Southlands setting for Pathfinder, think it has some 5e material as well. Should be stuff in there you can crib at least.
>>
>>49709699
And the Hamunaptra third party sourcebook for 3e D&D.
>>
Just going by the races in PF, I think refluffed/skinned of the following would be suitable races. Even then, the majority of people are probably going to just be human.

Vishkanya - Scorpion god's guys
Nagaji - Snake god's guys
Catfolk - Cat-god Clergy
Samsaran - Royal line perhaps?
Sulis - Hybrids borne of freaky oasis spirits out in the desert.
Undine / Sylph / Ifrit / Oread - Hybrids also.
Strix - Clergy of the bird-headed gods.
Fetchlings - I dunno but I think they'd fit somewhere.
Aasimar - Another contender for Royal line.
>>
How many people here have played the board game Kemet?
>>
>>
>>49708296
Those aren't panties. Those are waistbands. The dark part is her pubic hair.
>>
>Historical art getting 404ed because of nudity.

Fuck nu/tg/
>>
>>49710490
Even better.
>>
>>49710532
Sometimes a little more subtle erotic is nicer imO. I'd have rathered panties.
>>
http://anthropology.msu.edu/anp455-fs14/2014/10/23/ancient-egyptian-sexuality/

Relevant.
>>
>>49710617

It actually is. Thanks.
>>
>>49710617
I don't know what to say about the crocodile fuckers.
>>
File: Awesome.gif (471KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
Awesome.gif
471KB, 500x250px
>>49710796
>>
>>49710617
>it is believed that Cleopatra may have created a vibrator for herself using bees.
This seems like the worst idea ever, but I still admire the ingeniosity.
>>
>>49710796
>>
File: Floridaman.jpg (84KB, 399x689px) Image search: [Google]
Floridaman.jpg
84KB, 399x689px
>>49710796
>>49710845
>>49710863
http://theracketreport.com/florida-man-arrested-for-having-sex-with-alligator-as-it-was-tied-up-and-blindfolded/
>>
File: Hey my other face is up here.gif (872KB, 499x263px) Image search: [Google]
Hey my other face is up here.gif
872KB, 499x263px
>>49710796
'This excites me.'
>>
>>49708206
Except Alexander was praised as a liberator and venerated as a god in Egypt, because he conquered them away from Persia
>>
>>49710859

It's pretty cleary Roman propaganda, still, how the fuck do you come with shit like that?
>>
>>49710992
The Romans were the US Republicans of their age, basically.
>>
Villain Gods.

Don't need them. Just pull a Nehekhara and have the villain be necromancers. Egyptian society all about entombing people with their belongings and keeping their bodies intact for the afterlife. Necromancers desecrate this entire system and go against the will of the gods, not only by denying wicked souls to the Hell Crocodile but not letting Anubis judge them.

And if he awakens any sentient dead, they'd realize they were bamboozled and didn't actually get to bring any of their cool shit to the after life as it all rotted away.
>>
>>49706111
>Volga Battle Axe Culture

That is a fucking awesome band name.
>>
>>49709543
Actually that was Set. He did it with his 42,000 pound club, if I recall correctly. Set is a god damn war hero.
>>
What is the game about?

Strangely enough I feel that the usual adventurers should be justified by changing things up.

I mean, unless they're clearly murderhobos that live undercover, there is no way an "egyptian" civilization would welcome graverobbers.

Older, more "evil" civilization? Adventurers are more or less the expandable vanguard of explorers to the ruins of said civilization? This would make them possibly "instituzionalized" which is an interesting prospect.
>>
>>49711166
They probably wouldn't be murderhobos. They might be employed by the palace to handle strange problems.
>>
>>49711068

I had this image of Cesar with an orange wig usign a lot of "tremendous" in his speeches.

I think /tg/ never made me feel so dirty. And we're talking about cocrodile-fuckers.
>>
>>49708379
Can't unsee
>>
>>49709601
>Anubis is born by the adulterous affair of Nehptys and Osiris while Set is off to war
>His mother abandons him in the Nile but he is recovered by Isis who raises him like her own despite the circumstances of his birth
>Is given authority to judge over the hearts of the Dead
>Assists Isis in restoring Osiris by retrieving parts of his body and bandaging them together
>Gets to bang Bastet, Goddess of Sex and Pleasure during an age when she was associated with perfumes

Anubis lucked out like a motherfucker
>>
>>49705667
>what pitfalls should I avoid?
Egyptians weren't really and not that related to modern Arab inhabitants of Egypt. it's ok to have blond and redheaded Egyptians.
>>
>>
File: 1386482481606.jpg (128KB, 900x698px) Image search: [Google]
1386482481606.jpg
128KB, 900x698px
>>
>>49711181

Yeah, makes sense to me too.

I'd say probably the first levels would be more like go to the temple, see a bored scribe that gets your names and shit and directs you to "unexplored and probably not that interesting ruin number 1098".

Things might spice up a bit after a while.

The bureaucratic angle might be interesting in having (at higher levels) the support of the authorities. Like, you know, if you have proof that Nyarlathotep's little helpers are doing their business in the desert, maybe the army can lend an hand.

>>49711430

Don't want to start a shitstorm, but do we have proof of huge genetical changes in the Egyptian population of nowdays?
>>
File: 1429133924809.jpg (211KB, 892x607px) Image search: [Google]
1429133924809.jpg
211KB, 892x607px
>>
>>49711521
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_history_of_Egypt

tl;dr Egypt has always been a crossroads of different peoples and modern day Egyptians are basically the same as their ancient counterparts.
>>
File: 1429134056722.jpg (684KB, 1038x786px) Image search: [Google]
1429134056722.jpg
684KB, 1038x786px
>>
File: Neith.jpg (475KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Neith.jpg
475KB, 750x1000px
This is one of the world's primordial goddesses.
>>
>>49711521
Afaik the modern inhabitants of Egypt have very little in common with the Ancient Egyptians, save for living in the same place.
>>
File: 1341010041062.jpg (191KB, 720x843px) Image search: [Google]
1341010041062.jpg
191KB, 720x843px
>>
>>49711556
>Blood typing and ancient DNA sampling on Egyptian mummies is scant. However, blood typing of dynastic mummies found ABO frequencies to be most similar to modern Egyptians,[14] and some also to northern Haratin populations.
>>
File: Sobek.jpg (731KB, 2056x2700px) Image search: [Google]
Sobek.jpg
731KB, 2056x2700px
>>49711583
This is Neith's son, who is charged with watching over the Nile River itself. He is credited, in certain stories, with eating Osiris's dick after Set cut it off and threw it in the river.

What a prick.
>>
File: 1432341011605.jpg (159KB, 540x754px) Image search: [Google]
1432341011605.jpg
159KB, 540x754px
>>
File: 1432732082192.jpg (108KB, 1024x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1432732082192.jpg
108KB, 1024x1414px
>>
File: 1436593119282.png (907KB, 847x900px) Image search: [Google]
1436593119282.png
907KB, 847x900px
>>
>>49708051
>>49708077
Also the "Mission Accomplished" banner was set up by the ship's crew. The ship whose mission was over because they were done.
>>
>>49711521
I think it'd more likely be "Yo, the catgirls and scorpions are fighting again, Make sure this doesn't turn into a divine civil war for me? Thanks"
>>
File: 63456.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
63456.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>49711521
It's hard to say what the average ancient Egyptian looked like, since the bodies of peasants weren't mummified. But there were a number of royal mummies with recessive traits associated with what we'd call the "white race" today like red or blonde hair, suggesting that the ruling class were not Arabs.

While their art wasn't realistic enough to tell the difference between whites and brown/Arab peoples, they definitely distinguished between a dark-skinned race (presumably black Africans) and lighter skinned race (the Egyptians themselves).
>>
>>49710988
>Except Alexander was praised as a liberator and venerated as a god in Egypt, because he conquered them away from Persia
>Be oracle of Ammon
>Foreign King with an army that just beat the Empire that annexed you ages ago again and again comes to visit to ask what you think of him
No shit you're going to call him the son of heaven and a liberator.
>>
File: 1437360154758.jpg (154KB, 640x490px) Image search: [Google]
1437360154758.jpg
154KB, 640x490px
>>
>>49708695
>Egyptians didn't think of themselves as being either white or black.
Egyptian ethnography is weird because it's over such a long period of time and suffered many invasions but almost no one thought in terms of "white" and "black" until very, very recently.
>>
File: 1439055595255.jpg (467KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1439055595255.jpg
467KB, 707x1000px
>>
File: Serqet.jpg (199KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Serqet.jpg
199KB, 750x1000px
>>49711679
>The scorpions are in charge of protecting the funerary urns and making sure they can be safely acquired by Anubis
>Catfolk didn't catch the memo and are trying to move/perfume some of the urns
>Scorpions flip their shit
>>
>>49711679

That too. But personally I'd prefer the dungeon crawling/scouting loosely directed by the bureaucracy for lower levels.

I'd guess usually with higher PCs it would be cool to have them become nobles (or something like that) and with a fucking army/temple full of priests, if possible. To make the setting a little more unique.

>>49711689

It's worth mentioning that honestly I don't know if nowdays egyptian are more like saudis or more like berbers.

But I wouldn't think highly of the "lighter dominant race" that seems to come out from victorian hypotesis. I mean, they didn't idolize lighter skins, actually...
>>
File: 1443169786955.jpg (100KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
1443169786955.jpg
100KB, 800x598px
>>
>>49708437
>Like you can draw any actual concepts from Nile other than musical motifs
>Like you can really understand more than 1% of any song
>I also love Nile but...
>>
File: 1443206048067.jpg (308KB, 600x486px) Image search: [Google]
1443206048067.jpg
308KB, 600x486px
>>
>>49711521
>Don't want to start a shitstorm, but do we have proof of huge genetical changes in the Egyptian population of nowdays?
Ramses the great had red hair. Confirmed with genetics.
>>
File: 1448045127095.jpg (321KB, 1500x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1448045127095.jpg
321KB, 1500x1082px
>>
File: dawn-pu-.jpg (858KB, 1920x2281px) Image search: [Google]
dawn-pu-.jpg
858KB, 1920x2281px
>>
>>49705817

Well well, Mr. Egyptologist, if it was so easy to go to the afterlife than why did that Egyptian kid Big Bird knew was going to get fed to Am-mit?
>>
File: Remnants.jpg (96KB, 900x521px) Image search: [Google]
Remnants.jpg
96KB, 900x521px
>>
File: pic1442085_md.jpg (54KB, 312x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic1442085_md.jpg
54KB, 312x500px
>>49711793

I think I'd set the story at a time of turmoil in some way or another. Perhaps the crown prince has died unexpectedly and know the temples are vying to convince the next in line to support them.

Or one day Joey 3 goats woke up to find the Two stone Sphinx outside the Palace gates have disappeared in the night.
>>
File: 1365463731217.jpg (840KB, 960x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1365463731217.jpg
840KB, 960x1360px
>>49711990
The evil snakes are getting uppity again. Since the cats are responsible for dealing with the snakes, the party is sponsored by Bastet to help clear them out.
>>
>>49710992
>TFW you realize that most of the stories about the "crazy" roman emperors were probably propaganda made up by their political rivals.
>TFW history will remember Obama as the first Muslim emperor of the western English empire.
>>
File: 1374471376876.jpg (389KB, 1758x2346px) Image search: [Google]
1374471376876.jpg
389KB, 1758x2346px
>>49712034
Fuckin' asshole snakes, biting people in the tit and whatnot.
>>
>>49711430
Not really, even if they had blonde or red hair, they would have shaved it and worn black wigs like everyone else.
>>
>>49712044
Unlike the Romans, we've gotten a lot better at cataloguing our history.
>>
>>49712070
That depends entirely on the period we're talking about.
>>
File: 5e92c3fa99e2f933a39a6838993bbbea.jpg (641KB, 716x1000px) Image search: [Google]
5e92c3fa99e2f933a39a6838993bbbea.jpg
641KB, 716x1000px
Any good ideas for the name of the kingdom itself?
>>
>>49711844

True, but not statistically significant. There are red-haired egyptians now.
>>
>>49712145
He wasn't the only Egyptian noble proud of having red hair as a sign of association with Set.
>>
>>49712136

Kemet is the ancient actual name.

Fun fact: chemistry and chemical derive from that.
>>
>>49712172

What other mummies we have?
>>
>>49712195
We have very few mummies but the genetic testing corroborated what historical sources we have. We can rule out the red hair being a figure of speech or whatever.
>>
>>49712179
Less fun fact: This name one of the principal origins of the origin of the WE WUZ KANGS meme.
>>
File: JRQUEL8.png (301KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
JRQUEL8.png
301KB, 800x1000px
>>49712049
>>49712049

2armpitfetish4me

>>49712214

Got a citation?
>>
>>49712246
>Got a citation?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_II

Got tired of wading through bullshit racial screeds trying to find the original test so I'll just steal quotes and citations from wiki

"Microscopic inspection of the roots of Ramesses II's hair proved that the king's hair was originally red, which suggests that he came from a family of redheads."

"This has more than just cosmetic significance: in ancient Egypt people with red hair were associated with the god Seth, the slayer of Osiris, and the name of Ramesses II's father, Seti I, means "follower of Seth."

>Bob Brier, Egyptian Mummies: Unravelling the Secrets of an Ancient Art, New York: William Morrow & Co. Inc, 1994, p. 153.

It was well known in his family. I remember reading about other Egyptian nobles that reputedly had the trait as well but will take time to find it. I don't have access to the proper journals. Lower Egypt and the Levant had different populations from today. Shit changes over time, including human phenotypes in a given area.
>>
>>49712246
>>49712357
Also important to note: Modern Berbers show a very high instance of red or blond hair, and they're believed to be more or less consistent with ancient populations in the same area. May or may not matter for the Egyptians, since they're a related but distinct people. But take it for what it's worth.
>>
I like the idea that the priesthood would be gifted with traits of their respective god. The more senior their rank, the more traits they'd be gifted with.
>>
>>49712079

And just like the Romans, we can change it to fit to our narrative.
>>
>>49712608
So they'd become catgirls and lamia and such?
>>
File: pic1442083_md.jpg (68KB, 358x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic1442083_md.jpg
68KB, 358x500px
>>49712729
I don't know if they'd go that far. Maybe just Fangs, claws, eyes, etc.
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 500x372px
>>
>>49712044
Bitch please, his political enemies will paint him as
>communist gay muslim apostate emperor
>>
File: pic1442084_md.jpg (67KB, 316x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic1442084_md.jpg
67KB, 316x500px
>>49712817
>>
>mummy.jpeg
>>
File: pic1442082_md.jpg (62KB, 315x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic1442082_md.jpg
62KB, 315x500px
>>
File: kree.png (770KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
kree.png
770KB, 1024x576px
Make sure to include ayy lmaos.
>>
File: Anubis.jpg (646KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Anubis.jpg
646KB, 750x1000px
>>49711401
>Oh, Bastet. If only you knew...
>>
>>49715095
What the hell is it with Egyptians and aliens?
>>
>>49715095
Jaffa, Kree!
>>
File: Ancient Aliens I Don't Know.jpg (95KB, 461x403px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Aliens I Don't Know.jpg
95KB, 461x403px
>>49715121
This guy.
>>
>>49715095
Dearest Anon, you get me.
>>
>>49715095
And ancint chinese ayy lmaos as a sideboss
>>
>>49705892
Adding on to your list. There are also Girtablilu and Serpentfolk, which would need to be homebrewed a bit.
>>
File: d151da20f96c46c39e38c863880acd57.jpg (582KB, 960x1536px) Image search: [Google]
d151da20f96c46c39e38c863880acd57.jpg
582KB, 960x1536px
>>
>>
File: 3d5c42e337b6621b602ea034ed786b7e.jpg (705KB, 1256x1600px) Image search: [Google]
3d5c42e337b6621b602ea034ed786b7e.jpg
705KB, 1256x1600px
>>
>>49715121

Butthurt fringe Western '''Scientists''' who insist every accomplishment done by non-Europeans must have been performed by aliens.

Turn on Ancient Aliens and count the number of times they mention a non-European "potential alien" site and compare that to the number of times they mention a European "potential alien" site. You'll discover they *never* suggest Europeans were helped or visited by aliens, and they rarely say that for Asians either.

It's the exact kind of schlocky bullshit you'd expect from a Victorian explorer who would declare ruins they found in Africa to be the result of some unknown Tribe of Israel.
>>
>>49716718
>>49716759
REMOVE
SNEK
>>
File: basket.jpg (60KB, 639x700px) Image search: [Google]
basket.jpg
60KB, 639x700px
>>49716910
keep snek
>>
File: 1465584519503.jpg (18KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1465584519503.jpg
18KB, 224x225px
>>49716910
DELET

SNEKS ARE WONDERFUL AND SPECIAL
>>
>>49716787
>You'll discover they *never* suggest Europeans were helped or visited by aliens
Stonehenge?
>>
>>49716787
>they *never* suggest Europeans were helped or visited by aliens
What is stonehenge?
>>
File: Stonehenge-Easter-Island.jpg (39KB, 492x559px) Image search: [Google]
Stonehenge-Easter-Island.jpg
39KB, 492x559px
>>49716976
I'm sure you've seen this explained before.
>>
File: AEROGAVIN I WANT TO BELIEVE.jpg (56KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
AEROGAVIN I WANT TO BELIEVE.jpg
56KB, 600x451px
>>49716787
>he's never heard about the Gavin
>>
>>49716951
>>49716956
SNEKS ARE A BLIGHT UPON KEMET
SNEKS KILL PHARAOHS
KOTS MUST REMOVE SNEKS
>>
>>49709644
what animu? Google just pointed me to the meme
>>
File: toothbrushing.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
toothbrushing.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>49717152
Bakemonogatari
>>
So what were Egyptian armies like? What were their composition? What were their favored tactics? How did Ancient people fight in the desert?

Yeah, Egypt has a longass fucking history, so just pick your favorite time period. Heck I might just mix things up anyway for the game.
>>
File: pharaoh-chariot-merl.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pharaoh-chariot-merl.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>49717208
Most people would at least tell you that the Egyptians loved - LOVED - their chariots.
>>
>>49717182
>brushing with back-and-forth motion
>not circular motion
He's not even doing it right.
>>
>>49717228
Hell, the sun rising in the sky was Ra riding his chariot across the sky, with his son Anhur and daughter Bastet as escort.
>>
>>49711231
He'd talk about himself in the third person and use "Cesar advanced" a lot.
>>
File: desert-bug.jpg (114KB, 1797x1300px) Image search: [Google]
desert-bug.jpg
114KB, 1797x1300px
>>
>>49705667
Read Nagash (not the End Times) books. Author actually read history books about Egypt.
>>
>>49711584
They actually have some similarities mainly through cultural practices that were integrated into the culture of both Muslim and Christian traditions. In villages, you still have sons occasionally named Banoub which roughly translates to Son of Anubis for example.
>>
>>49711881
That pic is surprisingly comfy.
>>
>>49717182
What creeps me out the most is that this actually makes having your teeth brushed look like a pleasurable experience.
>>
File: Princess_Lalla_Salma[1].jpg (398KB, 1312x1736px) Image search: [Google]
Princess_Lalla_Salma[1].jpg
398KB, 1312x1736px
>>49711430
>Egyptians weren't really and not that related to modern Arab inhabitants of Egypt. it's ok to have blond and redheaded Egyptians.
You know the current queen of Morocco is a redhead, right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair#Middle_East_and_Mediterranean
Red hair is also relatively common among both Berber and Semitic populations. Take your retarded Nordicist bullshit out of here.
>>
>>49705667
>what pitfalls should I avoid?
I think the biggest pitfall that people talking about ancient Egypt or taking inspiration from ancient Egypt make is to talk about it all at once, as if it were one culture.

The ancient Egyptian civilization spanned a very long time, and it evolved and changed with time, in some instances a lot, in some instances surprisingly little (for one, Egyptian art remained very similar throughout their entire history, because they didn't value creativity that much).

Just to take one example:
>>49717208
>So what were Egyptian armies like?
When? >>49717228 This guy says chariots, and he's right, the Egyptians had a boner for chariots. Here's the thing though: By the time chariots were introduced to Egypt, the Great Pyramid of Giza was already close to 1000 years old.

I think that any setting that borrows from Egypt should take it's long as history into account, there's a lot of potential there. Ancient Egypt already had archaeologists, for example, so it's not that far fetched to have an Ancient Egyptian Indiana Jones, just a thought.

Or maybe you can set your setting in that time in Egyptian history where a Pharaoh decided that he didn't like the old gods and tried to make his own original god, do not steal.

My point is, ancient Egypt becomes a lot more interesting when you look at its long history, instead of taking it all as a whole.
>>
>>49719881
>where a Pharaoh decided that he didn't like the old gods and tried to make his own original god, do not steal.
Aten wasn't OC. He was a minor god that Akhenaten grew a boner for and wrote massive fanfics for.
>>
>>49719996
Well yeah, you're right.
>>
>>49719881
I was planning on modeling the pharaoh on Nefertiti. So perhaps that'll be part of the current setting.
>>
>>49705667
This whole thread makes me mad how much Christianity and Islam fucked up the world, especially Egypt.

Imagine how great life would be without the Abrahamic religions.

Call me an edgy fedora lord all you want, your insults will never hide the truth.
>>
>>49719996
>Akhenaten was the only heretic pharaoh and not just the most famous one.

Come on m8
>>
File: Milky_Way_stargate.png (301KB, 902x898px) Image search: [Google]
Milky_Way_stargate.png
301KB, 902x898px
I think I might actually like incorporating Stargates into this setting. They'd make fun adventures I think.
>>
>>49720312
I dunno man, the origins of Abrahamic religions are also pretty cool, and they're almost as old as Egyptian religions.

Ancient Semitic and Canaanite religions were pretty cool, as well as the Carthaginian religion, at least in their imagery and ideas.

I'm sure the world would be just as fucked up regardless of which religion came to dominate eventually.
>>
One of the /ccg/ regulars made an Egyptian-themed Magic set that's pretty cool. Link if anyone's interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwa7bmmt32wntk8/Athnahr.mse-set?dl=0
>>
File: Egyptian D&D.jpg (375KB, 1283x1041px) Image search: [Google]
Egyptian D&D.jpg
375KB, 1283x1041px
>>49711821
Have a bigger version.
>>
>>49720425
Yes, but the advent of the big three made the world regress so much.

Egypt was probably the most progressive society of all, with almost-modern women's rights, healthy view on nudity and sex, huge leaps in literature, architecture, craftsmanship and medicine.

Can someone just invent Sliding already so I can slide to a world that wasn't fucked by the Christians and the Muslims?

Maybe you're right, though. The Nubians and Kushites probably would have risen and overthrown the Pharaoh for taking their shit all the time.
>>
>>49720988
Jesus, that is some painful bullshit right there...
>>
>>49717242
>Hell, the sun rising in the sky was Ra riding his chariot across the sky,
Actually, the sun was Ra riding on a golden boat. Because it was boats, not chariots, that were the NUMBER ONE form of transportation in Egypt. Chariots were used in wars, but were pretty useless for getting around Egypt itself when you could always take a fucking boat EVERYWHERE.
Keep in mind: Majority of what constituted Egypt was between two and twenty kilometers wide strip on both sides of Nile. 99% of all infrastructure was ON NILE. Absolute majority of all transportation had happened on Nile. In fact, EVERYTHING in that culture was about Nile.

Also, chariots became popular in egypt a lot later than the myth of Ra was born.
>>
>>49706002
>>49706538
>>49707976
The egyptian book of the dead is full f "Spells" that basically come down to boastful lies that a person is buried with to cheat Ma'at and thrive in the afterlife by scaring away dangerous vermin, (Get bitten by a snake in the afterlife? You suffer pretty much eternally or at least for a very long time)
>>
>>49712070
Not so common for the poor ones though.
>>
>>49716787
>Turn on Ancient Aliens and count the number of times they mention a non-European "potential alien" site and compare that to the number of times they mention a European "potential alien" site. You'll discover they *never* suggest Europeans were helped or visited by aliens, and they rarely say that for Asians either.
Ehwot? I've seen some for various weird bits in bongistan, like stonehenge.

>>49717106
Bastet (And all the other goddesses of similar role) could transform into cobras/vipers, it was only bigger gorger snakes that were evil like Apep.
>>
I know it's late in the thread, but guys. Egyptians in SPACE.
>>
>>49706060
I might agree with you if Egyptian mythology didn't have cosmological Law and Chaos.
>>
>>49722476
Just about every single mythology in the entire history of man-kind is based on the fucking chaos vs. law dichotomy, it's a human universal and probably the most principal human experience in the world.

That said, as much as I despise the shitty aligment systems in RPG's, Egypt is actually one of the few settings where it would make more sense then anywhere else, as their ethical and cosmological principles were actually quite uniquely rigid and absolutistic, to a point where there was quite a literal TRIAL waiting for every single human on earth during which his actions were judged and weight and according to them, he would sent to either eternal damnation or eternal bliss.
So from an egyptian mythological perspective, having notion of "good" and "evil" being cosmological principles rather than just a matter of moral context actually makes some sense.
Aspect of chaos and order makes much less sense though, because those don't really apply to human behavior as much as they reflect the nature and universe itself.
>>
>>49711166
>there is no way an "egyptian" civilization would welcome graverobbers
All the pyramids, and a lot of the other tombs, were robbed in ancient times.

Usually by people who built them or buried people in them - priests graverobbing pharaohs was known to be a thing
>>
>>49722938
Grave-robbing was also frequently sanctioned by the rulers themselves, who would rob the tombs of their predecessors it times of need.
>>
>>
File: 47506b4d5a0ca724151e25d47c3fade9.jpg (323KB, 1000x1360px) Image search: [Google]
47506b4d5a0ca724151e25d47c3fade9.jpg
323KB, 1000x1360px
>>
>>49719811
You also know Berbers would raid the coasts of Europe and enslave white people?

Even red headed Irish/Scottish.

Pretty sure that anon wasn't spreading Nordicist anything.
>>
>>49720425
>>49720988
Religion provides an excuse for people to be bastards to one another; it is not the reason. Without Christianity and Islam people would just have to find different excuses.

>>49722938
Besides which, even if Egyptian society doesn't officially "sanction" standard dungeon-delving, that doesn't mean that the adventurers might not do it anyway.
>>
File: Valley_of_the_pyramids.jpg (160KB, 1680x1133px) Image search: [Google]
Valley_of_the_pyramids.jpg
160KB, 1680x1133px
>>
File: 1461824851796.jpg (94KB, 720x1441px) Image search: [Google]
1461824851796.jpg
94KB, 720x1441px
>>
File: 6d52a814d06c65a41fd85bc8ff5dacbe.jpg (240KB, 1153x889px) Image search: [Google]
6d52a814d06c65a41fd85bc8ff5dacbe.jpg
240KB, 1153x889px
>>
>>49723994
Maya is South American, not Egyptian. Close, though.
>>
>>49724879
Not that anon, but that armor is clearly Egyptian inspired. See the little scarab there?
>>
How is the Osirion, Legacy of Pharaohs stuff?
>>
>>49719811

Could it be... PROFESSOR RIVER SONG?!?!
>>
>>49724879
>Maya is South American
Central America, not south, also that's an Egyptian inspired armor
>>
>>49707094
the hell is up with that filename? 's clearly Apocalypse.
>>
File: You belong in a museum.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
You belong in a museum.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>49723179
>the statues are actually stone golems
>>
>>49723432

I think that was a thing the romans did notice at their time.

Which I guess would more or less exclude the idea of "white" ruling race of the pharaohs: it would be something shared by the people.

The fact is, I don't have any idea if NOWDAYS egyptian do sport now and then fairer hair...
>>
>>49726133
Divine or Sorcerous?
>>
File: Lost_Cities_cover.jpg (203KB, 1278x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Lost_Cities_cover.jpg
203KB, 1278x1680px
>>
File: wakfu.jpg (171KB, 1334x474px) Image search: [Google]
wakfu.jpg
171KB, 1334x474px
>>49712608
>the more like your god you are, the more you look like them

That seems familiar for some reason...
>>
File: gaelle-marco-egypte-design-art.jpg (567KB, 1800x778px) Image search: [Google]
gaelle-marco-egypte-design-art.jpg
567KB, 1800x778px
>>
File: 1392613525479.jpg (114KB, 728x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1392613525479.jpg
114KB, 728x1500px
>>
>>49731624
>mummy girl
>her flesh isn't all grey and dried out
Did she literally rise up right there on the mummification table, before they even salted her body?
>>
>>49731624
>>49731747
Egypt and bandages are hot but mummies less so, so when I see pics like that I imagine her soul has returned to her and revived her body fully back to life.

She's still wearing the bandages for modesty, until she finds a nice see-through topless dress.
>>
>>49706380
>>49708034
Go on...
>>
>>49710261
Senet is better.
>>
>>49732001
Tomorrow, next thread.
>>
File: sand_and_ruins_by_blinck-d4i1ama.jpg (491KB, 1550x872px) Image search: [Google]
sand_and_ruins_by_blinck-d4i1ama.jpg
491KB, 1550x872px
>>
>>49708296
Jesus. I remember seeing this image A LOT at an encyclopedia since I was a kindergardener and I never understand back then why does it gives me funny feelings!!
>>
>>49708413
#MakeEgyptLewdAgain
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 113

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.