[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old Thread >>49644389 OP is a PDF Long live to /GGEN/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 58

File: 1475628471681.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1475628471681.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Old Thread >>49644389
OP is a PDF

Long live to /GGEN/, how do you deal with languages edition.

Last news:
Dungeon Fantasy Kickstarter is a success
Some new shit was added to OP pic some weeks ago like the steampunk thing.
Old general is dead after reaching bump limit
You are a faggot

Have a doubt or is looking for some homebrew? check;
http://gamingballistic.blogspot.com/
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/
http://forums.sjgames.com/
>>
File: 2016-10-09_110158.jpg (40KB, 647x228px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-09_110158.jpg
40KB, 647x228px
>>
What are some good things you can do with Path of Body, Path of Magic and two more paths at 10, Magery 0 and no Adept?

Planning to pack 12 charms (the character's thamatuargy limit).
>>
>>49701599
Typed a wall of text reply that got eaten by the bump limit. So fuck it. Short answer is no. Long answer is yes.

1 millimeter is DR 2.75 rounded up, not down. 1 millimeter average is not homogeneous but nether are thicker pieces. 19 or 20 gauge (which averages to about 1mm) steel is not tinfoil and pretty hard to cut through.
>>
>>49703168
Your spell casting is shit. That's not the end of the world but it would help if we knew how much Energy you can bring to the party without having to gather. In general, if you don't have to gather then your spells are very easy and if you do they are going to be quirky as shit or fail outright.

Books that give +2 are cheap and very good for the rituals you use often. If you can't buy a proper lab and magical potent place you should be more careful.

If Modern, then I'd use 6 slots on Lesser Restore Body charms. 2d healing with no waiting, your friends will love you for 11 energy each.

A Lockpick charm is easy to make and opens any lock.

Seek person is great if your GM doesn't mind how it sort of shorts out a lot of adventures. Also, if you want to pretend you are Harry Dresden. Remember you are a punk ass bitch non-adept and need blood or hair or a baby blanket to track someone with this.
>>
>>49703360
I guess 7 energy from HP and 5 from FP? So anything 13 or less I won't have to gather for.
>>
>>49703574
That just can't be right. 7 energy from HP would mean 14 HP damage to make a charm and 5 from FP would be 15 FP. You need to keep at least 1 FP to keep from passing out.
>>
>>49703283
>1 millimeter is DR 2.75
where did you took that from? because B558 gives us around 0.88DR/mm and that one article with different steel grades gives us 0.96/1 DR per mm for a TL4 armor grade steel and 1.2/1DR per mm for a TL4 weapon grade steel
>>
Anyone happen to have the unofficial Ghostbusters pdf?
>>
>>49703999
ignore me I forgot to check the mega first.
>>
>>49702993
>GGEN
Your mom is ggen. You fucked up so badly I autofail my self-control roll.
>>
>>49703931
DR is defined as 1" of RHA = 70 DR. All metal armors are based off that axiom. Even if they aren't actually made of RHA.
>>
>>49703168
Path of matter to create fake money or path of mind to just trick merchants. Then buy shittons of relevant trash to cut cost down via trappings. Then leave the city immediately. Then do what other anon said.
Oh, and Lesser Transform Body to change your face for a couple hours.
>>
File: Waistcoat Cuirass circa 1580.jpg (8KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
Waistcoat Cuirass circa 1580.jpg
8KB, 200x300px
>>49704191
Anon, that was for vehicles only and based on a 2th times pen test, 4ed lowtech use heavier plate armor, closer to historic examples. A quick example is how heavy are chest pieces 'of proof' made with 4th rules; 24lbs, a little less than this one(26 pounds 11.2 ounces) and roughly 4mm thick, even more so if using one article indication for lowtech grade steel.

TL DR/mm Notes

TL4
0.944 'Stock' Steel 1.78 [1]
0.098 'Plain' Steel 0.58 [1]
TL3
0.748 'Domestic' Steel 0.74 [1]
0.913 'Brittle' Steel 1.62 [1]
0.662 'Damascus' Steel 1.31
0.47¥ 'Arming' Steel 0.84 [1], [2]
0.59¥ 'Blade' Steel 0.96 [1]
TL2
0.18¥ 'Bog' Iron 0.69 [1]
0.16¥ 'Finnish Bog' Steel 0.64 [1]

I don't remember the exacly article nor have i saved what those notes are, i only copy/pasted this on my notes, sorry. Also if i remember correctly that symbol is the note for "something around this" and the numbers i think its the carbon content but i'm not sure.
>>
>>49704500
Fuck, it didn't send the entire table nor was it organized.
But for a quick addition the rest of that articlesat least what i can remember said some things about how armor form and curves would add to effective DR as 4th doesn't have the "passive defence" stat and how its impossible to model rules for calculation DR taking that into acount, even more 'in short'; stick to LT armor rules and use DR per mm for when you need to punch through something flat
>>
File: Alex Briar.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Alex Briar.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Sorry to keep posting, but I could use some help with my Monster Hunter. I THINK this is right. GCS threw me off by accidentally having the werewolf template cost 199 rather then 200 points.
>>
File: CRACK IT OPEN.png (47KB, 303x234px) Image search: [Google]
CRACK IT OPEN.png
47KB, 303x234px
>>49704500
DR9 is "of proof", but it isn't, 16,67% of times a dragon pistol will get through it but it looks close enough for me, i can see a armorer rejecting an armor because it didin't stand the test shot and it wasn't supposed to stop a full sized musket a close range anyway, well, it can even stop a lighter than musket 'caliver' at close range Fusil Ordinaire, Fusil de Chasse, the Caliver itself.
>>
>>49704696
Do you end up as SM+1 when transformed?
>>
>>49704786
Remember to use the Armor as Dice rules for realistic body armor/firearm interactions.
>>
>>49704830
Well, 2d+2 for DR9 is great for small weapons but i don't like the feeling of getting shot by a 4d weapon and just taking plain 1d+2 because thats just how it works. I like the feeling of rolling damage for something that may just glance off on a high angle hit, aka low damage. Also it adds a lot more crunch when dealing with over half damage range.
>>
>>49704800
Sadly no! There is ST 17, DX 16, HT 12 out of the bargain.
>>
>>49705011
Here she is in lupine form
>>
>>49704500
>based on a 2th times pen test
I don't know what that means. I assume the latter part refers to penetration testing but the beginning is a mystery.

>closer to historic examples
Such as?

I can find examples of 12, 14, 16, and 18 gauge plate easily enough online. 19 or 20 gauge is harder but can be found. Many, many more examples can be found that, upon further reading, show 16 to 18 gauge fronts with 19 or 20 gauge sides and/or backs.

The discussions on the forums as late as 2015 still use DR 70 = 1" RHA.

>>49704786
Armor of proof in GURPS has not ever meant 'immune'. To be 'proof' in GURPS is to have more DR than the average damage of the thing you're 'proof' against. Being proof against a Heavy Dragoon Pistol would only need DR 7.
>>
>>49705071
You become a literall wolf? In any way try getting a SM+1 greatsword, you will deal around 5d cut
>>
>>49705180
Yep, Monster Hunter template thing.. I'm not sure how someone with No Fine Manipulators holds a sword though.

I was thinking of going for a different idea, someone with Giantiasm, but it's not part of the template and would throw off the math.
>>
>>49705114
>2th times
Second Edition Times, the 80s.
>Such as?
almost anything really, chest and upper legs stay around 2-4mm while 0.8-2 is the range for inner thigh, inner arms, sometimes outer arms and sides for a chestpiece. Some from top of google;
Books of Walker, Paul F
http://www.allenantiques.com/Armour-Breastplates-Collection.html

>The discussions on the forums as late as 2015 still use DR 70 = 1" RHA.
because thats what most people can remember from top of their head.
>>
>>49705071
>25 miles an hour carrying up to 130 pounds

Someone should get you a saddle.
>>
>>49704893
>What is half damage range
>>
File: Range Example.png (297KB, 730x668px) Image search: [Google]
Range Example.png
297KB, 730x668px
>>49705591
>What is half damage range
I think thats a question, so; ranged weapons have a range as N/X, where N is up to where the target will take full damage, X is max range but if you hit anything over N the target will only take half the damage.
>>
>>49705312
me

>>49705114
Also remember that armor is irregular having thinner edges and sides to save on weight. On 4th lowtech works on average weight based on this variation giving you 24 pounds for a chest piece with DR9, 2.8-4mm on the thickest point, while weapons damage varies because of where(thickness) and how(angle) you hit.

And about the 1RHA, again, thats why second edition plate is so lightwheight and why forth edition basic plate is so inconsistent having on the same page(B283) two items which cover the same place with such a huge disparity in weight;
Steel Breastplate had DR5 and weights 18 while
Steel Corselet had DR6 and weights 35, both cover Torso or Torso+groin(which is already covered by torso under abdome), and even if it wans't groin is only 5% weight. Thats why we have LT, it was made to unfuck the generic thing giving weight, DR and some other rules actualized to 4th math.

in short: it doesn't mean that the piece is 3 to 4mm everyfuckingwhere and BS always fuck up because GURPS is gamey trying not to be gamey.

P.S: You may be new over here, maybe not, in any way i'm not trying to be agressive just saying some things i learned on a couple decades wasting my weekend instead of watching my son eat dirt or anything like that, he is probably here because thats how i started browsing this shithole while learning english.

i miss passive defence
>>
>>49705071
Is your GM using realistic travel rules? if not >>49705447 is a fucking good idea
>>
Me:
>>49704191
>>49703283

>>49705312
>around 2-4mm while 0.8-2 is the range for inner thigh, inner arms, sometimes outer arms and sides for a chestpiece
So you're saying 14 ga is the minimum (~2mm)? Or are you saying 22 ga (~0.8mm) is the minimum?

In addition to saying 2mm is far too high to be the minimum for center torso as I, myself, have made breastplate as close to museum replica as I could get, that was about 17 ga (~1.5mm) through the center and less than 21 ga (~0.8mm) on the sides and back, I am also saying that, for the sake of gameable simplicity the thickest and thinnest sections are averaged and rounded so 1.3mm and 0.7mm average and round to 1mm in GURPS. The authors use exactly this method. Ask them on the forums yourself.

>>49705783
>it doesn't mean that the piece is 3 to 4mm everyfuckingwhere

Exactly what I said in >>49705114
>16 to 18 gauge fronts with 19 or 20 gauge sides and/or backs.
Which doesn't mean you couldn't go higher if you wanted, even to 8 or 9 ga (~4mm) if you didn't want to do anything combat useful like move.

>You may be new over here, maybe not
Not by a long shot. Nor am I new to GURPS, having called in to the Illuminati BBS back in the dialup days. I also am not trying to come across as aggressive or belligerent so if I do please take is as a passionate viewpoint and enthusiasm instead.

Douglas Cole, Dan Howard, and others use, and have been using, the numbers I have used here since supplements for 4th edition came out and were used to show the 4th edition Basic armor weights were about 50% (and up to 100%) too high in most cases. That's why Low Tech armor is so much more accurate. They weighed in and were listened to. See Low-Tech Armor Design article in Pyramid 3-52 for more proof 1" RHA = 70 DR still in current 4th edition.

PD was, in my opinion, a travesty. I'm as glad it's gone as I am range increments are gone.
>>
>>49703138
which source-book / Pyramid issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA
>>
>>49705783
The breastplate in Basic Set is Front Only. In general the weight of Basic Set stuff is too high for metal and too low for leather.
>>
File: tumblr_nznqutru5E1te1o8yo1_1280.jpg (130KB, 1000x709px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nznqutru5E1te1o8yo1_1280.jpg
130KB, 1000x709px
>>49705877
Well, it's Tech Level 8.. I don't think the first option for travel is going to be to ride me. It's nice to know that in an emergency I can break the speed limit in a school zone while carrying a friend on a diet.

Are there any rules for riding? I feel like it would be hard to ride something of your own SM.

Speaking of that, are their used car rules? I have about $4900 left and could use something to haul the Charms kit in.
>>
>>49706339
I believe it's brand new Stempunk book, only on warehouse32.
>>
File: 1475907777822.png (526KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475907777822.png
526KB, 1920x1080px
>>49704696
Berserk is a bad disadvantage for someone with low armor, good HT, High Pain Threshold and a high dodge.

If you insist on the double barrel out of a love of the style then cut that fucker down a bit. A 12" barrel would give you -2 bulk and -2 pounds. Cutting the stock off would give you -1 ACC but another -1 bulk and -1 pound. The ST would rise until nobody that isn't superhumanly strong like you could use it, but who the fuck cares in Monster Hunters?

A man might suggest instead a Winchester 1887 in 10 gauge as a more practical weapon.

Pick up Stealth and Fast Draw (Ammo) with your first character points or right away if your GM allows you to take disadvantages or gives you some points to customize.

Targeted Attack (Neck/Bite) and Power Grappling are techniques you want to get even better at doing nightmare things to people. Don't bother putting much more in weaseling, you can grapple by hitting someone with brawl/bite and just not letting go. Neck Snap after biting the throat is a valid move per Martial Arts and works as if you were grappling with two hands.
>>
>>49706594
>10 gauge again
i think /gurpsgen/ has a colletive fetish for 10G shotguns
>>
>>49706612
You've got a point man. I was sticking with vintage cowboy shotguns but their minor damage edge really doesn't justify picking them over a modern shotgun or even a golden oldie like an Auto 5.
>>
>>49706612
>>49706628
The fatter, the better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJouw9uh84
>>
>>49706310
too long i may complete it later.

>So you're saying 14 ga is the minimum (~2mm)?Or are you saying 22ga(~0.8mm)
for a chestplate i've never seen less than 1.73mm(i have a note and a pic from a museum), but i'm talking about the thick center, not the borders(wich can be as low as 0.6mm in some cases).
And what do you mean by minimum? minimum where? on the center chest? that would be 1.73mm but i can see a point for something a little thinner like 1.6 or 1.5, and i belive your word that some of these existed, i just never saw a surviving breastplate(backplates i've seen some) but thats not the point, i was questioning
>>49701181
>There are plenty of torso pieces that are around 1mm average thickness
Average is a really, really broad term as i don't think someone calculated the average thickness of a breastplate based on area covered so i assume you were talking about center/front average, the "striking face", and as i said i would love to see a 1mm thick on plate on the chest, on the "striking face", not sides, not borders.

Also today i will have an aeon aftenoon so monday(tomorrow at least over here) i will take my take to go through all my notes and search for that coles guy article with stoddard and rigsby commentary on the forum. I may be hugely mistaken as i'm using this group of guidelines for 6 or 7 years now, i finetuned the weight when LT came out but i don't think i ever touched on the thickness description again

>as close to museum replica as I could get
Please show me this museum plate with 1.5mm~ on the thickest point, i'm sincerely interested.

>PD was, in my opinion, a travesty
Probably but it was a good 'gamey', fun and descritible mechanic as GURPS isn't a simulacionist, just "pretends to be one" by going far enough while keeping it 'gamey' and clean to be playable. I miss it but not enough to reverse enginner it into my games.

Sorry for any syntax problems, i learned english as my third language in my mid 30s
>>
Has anyone used PDF related? I found it on a previous /gurpsgen/ and it seems to be balanced on paper.
>>
>>49706934
I honestly just don't see a point.
>>
>>49706902
>i don't think someone calculated the average thickness of a breastplate based on area covered so i assume you were talking about center/front average, the "striking face"
And there, I think, is the disconnect. I can't remember whether it was Dan Howard or Douglas Cole since it's been a few years but whoever it was did specifically say the thickness was averaged and rounded across the whole piece of armor. So, while a piece may have 1.5 mm on the top front and 0.6mm around the armpits it would average to about 1mm and DR 3. I also seem to recall that as the base for plate with +1 DR per +0.5mm on top of that but don't quote me on that last bit, I'm remembering from just before or just after Low-Tech came out.

>Please show me this museum plate with 1.5mm~ on the thickest point, i'm sincerely interested.
The armor I tried and mostly reproduced was 15th C Milanese plate in the New York Met collection. I had a friend who worked there and let me put calipers to the collection.

I can't find you any references on line. Everything I'm finding is modern "reproductions" people are trying to sell and probably aren't historically accurate. I'll keep digging but make no promises.

>good 'gamey', fun and descritible mechanic
In that case you can rejoice that everyone gets PD now. It's the +3 in the Dodge or Parry equations. So if someone succeeds their defense by less than a margin of three you can use the same old descriptions you used for PD.

>Sorry for any syntax problems, i learned english as my third language in my mid 30s
Don't be. I'm a stupid American. We try to prevent our people from learning additional languages as they might leave our <sarcasm>great and glorious capitalist meritocracy.</sarcasm>
>>
>>49706934
Ugh. God that was an assanine drag out rules request.
>>
>>49707023
It'd let you create new imbuements and such.
>>
>>49707068
>I also seem to recall that as the base for plate with +1 DR per +0.5mm on top of that
This looks way too much, might not be but it looks, a DR9 breastplate 'of proof' would have 4.5mm scalling this way, maybe DR9 is just way too for the typical plate proofed against pistols in close range or calivers at long range(100m+).

>I'll keep digging but make no promises.
if you find something along these lines remember to post. I'm not always posting but i'm at least lurking on every threadi'm retired.

>In that case you can rejoice...
I know that, its how i change the description some times, thats why i'm not willing to reverse PD into my games, too much conversion for so little.

>>49706934
i never tested it on a game but i made some powers just for the sake of powers. You may need to finetune the point cost based on how hard you want to make bending reality but its good enough.
>>
If you have Extra Attack, can you attack someone, then move, then attack someone else in single turn as Move and Attack maneuver?
>>
>>49708492
I don't think so as extra attack just lets you use the other hand
>>
>>49708492
Move and Attack explicitly defines what is allowed:
>during or after your move, make a single, poorly aimed attack, either unarmed or with a ready weapon.
As a GM, I would rule that the Extra Attack occurs when the Attack part of Move and Attack occurs, meaning as soon as you make your attack, you can make both, but not after or before.
>>
>>49708610
That's a narrow and poorly worded interpretation, for sure.
>>
>>49710372
i know its not "only the other hand", its about using more than one ready body part but Move and Attack says a single attack.
>>
File: 20161009_132415.jpg (1MB, 1074x1496px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_132415.jpg
1MB, 1074x1496px
>>49708610
>>49710236
>>49710372
JFC people
>>
>>49710236
My way to look at it is that any attacks you make after you move more then a step are Move and Attack or All Out Attacks. So if you move and attack you can also use Extra Attack, but it means you are going to take Move and Attack penalties to every attack you make that turn.
>>
Is there no advantage for a source of regular income you don't have to do anything for such as a knight who has a fief looked after by a steward or a student with a trust fund?

The default trade off is 1 CP per $500. Multiplying by 5 and adding Immediate Preparation Required (8 hours) limitation gives 1 CP for $100 per day of work which makes sense for a job but I'm not sure how I'd cost the fief case.
>>
>>49711621
Independant income, p. B26, and slightly related, consider Tenure (p.93) that means you have a job, but you are given a lot of freedom with how you carry out your responsibilities.
>>
File: tumblr_od3be3K5B01tk8bnfo1_500.jpg (106KB, 493x743px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od3be3K5B01tk8bnfo1_500.jpg
106KB, 493x743px
>>49711621
Page 26, Basic Set covers this with the Independent Income advantage. It's 1/point a level and gives you 1% your Starting Wealth per month, per level with you needing to do nothing to keep it up, like working a job.

So a Very Wealthy (20x base funds) TL 3 ($1000 base funds) landed knight with a good and clever wife able to manage his estate without any help from him (Independent Income 10) would have $2000 a month he needs do nothing to keep up.
>>
File: 1407191024645.gif (171KB, 583x945px) Image search: [Google]
1407191024645.gif
171KB, 583x945px
>>49711621
Managing your fief and serving your lord (normal landed knight stuff) would be a job that supports a Status 3 lifestyle ($12,000 a month).

So about $14k a month.

I'd say the requirements would be a combat skill, riding, administration and leadership. Roll the lower of combat or riding when on military service for your lord, with failing resulting in 1d injury and a critical fail resulting in being captured and ransomed, losing $10,000.

When at home, roll the lower of administration and leadership. Failing cost you half of he month's income in lost revenue, while critically failing results in a minor rebellion.
>>
>>49706934
I like it but I also like Basic Set magic so clearly I know nothing.
>>
>>49712809

>not liking OG magic
>>
I want to wear a purring hat!
>>
Anyone knows in what book we get Infinite Worlds infos on THS?
The Lost Worlds book mentions Homeline is fucking around on Steel (From RSWL) with tech lifted from Caliph, Shikaku-Mon and Transhuman.
I can't find the Homeline view of THS in my books.
>>
File: 1276008714002.jpg (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1276008714002.jpg
26KB, 400x400px
>>49714766
speak in less abbreviations, then you might get an answer...
>>
File: DSC_6395-Edit-X2.jpg (173KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6395-Edit-X2.jpg
173KB, 640x960px
>>49712279
I'd give 2d injury on a fail or critical fail. You want to be able to cripple limbs or potentially kill if you fail in battle.
>>
>>49716002
THS = Transhuman Space
RSWL = Reign of Steel: Will to Live

>>49714766
I think that's the only official mention. According to some forum posts I found, IW has issues reaching parallels that are further ahead of Homeline in terms of tech; I'm guessing the Space Opera Frenchman was a fluke, or the post was in reference to outdated 3e fluff.
>>
What subsystems in GURPS handle "build-a-bear" necromancy/soul binding? Assemble a body of various components, and then animate it, either with magic, soul binding, or perhaps even weird science, with the option to perform upgrades/sidegrades further down the road.

As an example, say I had bound a soul to a marionette, since that's all I can do with it for now due to some sort of scarcity in resources, be it a weak spirit, lack of magical energy, or raw material for the marionette. Later on, I want to be able to make it spit fire and fly, so I'd add some form of flight and fire breath. How would you handle that?
>>
>>49717268
They don't have troubles reaching them, they have troubles infiltrating them. You can't just claim you're Hans from that village a few miles away when everyone has an implant with an electronic ID checked against a database secured with encryption beyond yours.
>>
>>49717830
That's how I handed it with RPM; Create Undead adds the appropriate template, and the physiology of the corpse determines certain aspects e.g. want a four-armed skeleton to guard your wizard vault? Loot a skeleton plus enough spare bones to make a second set of arms -- and if you wanted to make it fly or breathe fire, you'd need some corpse bits that would reasonably allow that. I would assume it would work the same for other open-ended magic systems.

There's also the Pyramid Article "The Material Difference" (away from my books, so no issues number, but I THINK it's either the Laws of Magic issue or the Natural Magic Issue, both of which are around volume 70-80). That would work if the ritual needed symbolic representation rather than physical; you could embed a ruby, for example, instead of suturing in a preserved draconis-ignis gland if you wanted to give your necrotic minion/marionette golem fire breath.
>>
>>49718056
>RPM
Looks like I'm just going to have to give in and read it. Thanks, anon. BTW, the article is Pyramid #3/66 - The Laws of Magic. I plan on doing a campaign or character centered around this sort of crazy wizard lego.
>>
File: roman coin.jpg (63KB, 400x383px) Image search: [Google]
roman coin.jpg
63KB, 400x383px
I did some math for my TL1-4 folks.

Assuming your coins are the same size as a gold European ducat, around 20mm × 0.8mm (about the size of a U.S. penny but thinner), these are how many coins each container from Low Fantasy can hold. Results were rounded down to the nearest ten.

¼ cup/3.5 in3 = 2,280
1 cup/14 in3 = 9,120
1 pint/29 in3 = 18,910
1 quart/58 in3 = 37,820
1 gallon/0.13 ft3 = 146,480
2 gallons/0.27 ft3 = 304,230
6 gallons/0.8 ft3 = 901,450
20 gallons/2.7 ft3 = 3,042,390
40 gallons/5.3 ft3 = 5,972,110
80 gallons/11 ft3 = 12,394,950
120 gallons/16 ft3 = 18,029,030

>Calculations
20mm = 2 cm
0.08mm = 0.008 cm

Circular Cylinder volume: πR2H = 0.02513 cm3
where R = 1 cm and H = 0.008 cm

0.02513 cm3 = 0.0015335266891006 in3

Cubic inches as follows:
>X / 0.0015335266891006 in3 = Y
where X = in3 of container and Y = number of coins
...Until we reach cubic feet where ft3 was converted into in3 and then was done as above.

>Weight is another matter as it depends on the coin
For example, I will use gold.

GURPS states somewhere (I forgot) that 1 lb of gold is $20,000. If I decide that a gold coin in my setting will be worth $100, I use X ÷ Y where X = lb of gold's worth and Y = gold coin's worth.
>20,000 ÷ 100 = 200
So I assume that 200 gold coins equals one pound. Therefore we use 1 lb.÷ X where X = number of coins
>1 ÷ 200 = 0.005 lb (or 2.3 grams)
For reference a gold ducat weighed about 3.44g so this is rather light.

With this I can assume that once I fill an entire coin purse (14 in3) up to its max of 9,120 coins, it weighs 45.6 lbs.
>0.005 × 9120 = 45.6
or Z × Y = X
where Z = weight of coin, Y = number of coins, and X = cumulative weight.

GCS makes this easier by creating your own equipment labeled "coin" or something other and then assigning it a weight.
Also the reason I did this was to show that until you hit the tens of thousands, you don't really need to worry how much cash you have on your person unless you have a low ST score.
>>
>>49718231
You seemed to have forgotten to take into account that there will be air spaces around coins. And coins aren't likely to be neatly stacked all the time, which would create even larger air spaces.
>>
File: Magic Donut.jpg (52KB, 438x483px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Donut.jpg
52KB, 438x483px
>>49718231
Neat. I had my own loose and sloppy exercise attempt at figuring the value for a quarter-sized coin of each metal and gem type as presented in the book, as sort of a guideline for the weird currency system I'm using.
>>
>>49718231
Note that you can square a 3.44g gold ducat with it being worth $100, while gold is $20,000 per pound, by having the gold ducat contain less then pure gold. This would be, historically, pretty reasonable.

I sort of prefer a 4.5g coin. Too heavy by a tiny bit for most historic coins, but at 100 to a pound (a touch lighter then a modern American nickle) you can square them with the value of gold at $20,000 a pound by having them only contain 1.15g of gold.. a proportion that would not be truly ahistoric. Some coins were REALLY debased.

That's cool math though.
>>
So, has anyone playtested the DF Incantations already? Does it feel like a murderhobo-friendly system? That was my main gripe with RPM.
>>
>>49718231
You wrote 0,08mm instead of 0,8 under Calculations, hope you didn't get it all wrong.
And GCS already had gold coins in one of the equipment libraries, in several of them even.
>>
>>49718800
Taking a quick look, he indeed did use the wrong numbers in addition to forgetting that round objects can't fill up the entire volume (As there will be air spaces left).
>>
>Before building a racial template, you should develop a clear idea of what it is you are designing.
Well, fuck. Should have read this section before I started.
>>
>>49718635
>>49718862
>air spaces
Eh, I feel GURPS already accounted for tgat but.. idk shave off some?

>>49718696
Thanks, I like using heavier coins, too. I was just using it as an example.

>>49718800
Ah shit you are very right... I knew something felt wrong with1 cup holding 9k coins. Heh

>>49718231 Alright boys I've re-done it, here you go: same formulas diff values

¼ cup/3.5 in3 = 50
1 cup/14 in3 = 220
1 pint/29 in3 = 470
1 quart/58 in3 = 940
1 gallon/0.13 ft3 = 3,660
2 gallons/0.27 ft3 = 7,600
6 gallons/0.8 ft3 = 22,530
20 gallons/2.7 ft3 = 76,050
40 gallons/5.3 ft3 = 149,280
80 gallons/11 ft3 = 309,840
120 gallons/16 ft3 = 450,670
>>
File: 2423115544_6d8aebd46e.jpg (126KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2423115544_6d8aebd46e.jpg
126KB, 500x375px
>>49718913
A strong concept is kind of a vital to make racial templates work, but I've noticed that when it comes to players anything with Regeneration will be goddamn canip.
>>
Hey guys
I wanna get into gurps and have played a couple of sessions with gurps lite. I've checked through the trove but I'm not too sure which pdf is the full version of gurps.
>>
>>49719840
Could anyone tell me what to download or just chuck the pdf up?
Cheers
>>
>>49719840
>>49719843
Basic Set.
Martial Arts is a good add too, it introduces new combat maneuvers.
>>
>>49720007
Cheers, I'll have a read through the martial arts aswell
>>
File: coin-danish-6-daler-2.jpg (10KB, 200x203px) Image search: [Google]
coin-danish-6-daler-2.jpg
10KB, 200x203px
>>49720007
Martial Arts is the advanced combat book, mostly focused on armed and unarmed melee combat. The options it adds are generally pretty well balanced an interesting.

The Basic Set covers the core rules in the second book and character creation in the first book. They are huge and a bit overwhelming, but you don't have to memorize every rule, just know them well enough to look them up if needed or to get it more or less right in play.

>>49718635
Some coins can be stored with very little wasted space.
>>
Whats a TH mod? I was looking at the range finder ruler and saw TH.
>>
>>49720187
Thrust. If you thrust your gun forward, you give a bit more velocity to the bullet, negating your thrust dice of range in yards.
>>
>>49720169
True. But as he specified in his first post, he was assuming you standard round coin. (He used the volume formula for a cylinder.)
>>
>>49720187
I believe in this case it means "To Hit", as in that is the modifier to hit the target with an attack.
>>
>>49703168

See if you can use the Hermetic Magic modifiers from one of the Monster Hunter pyramids - it has some rules for using Cabal with RPM.

Of course, that's a huge power up in general... but it does help with the problem of being a total magical amateur.
>>
>>49703168
1. Sneak into enemy base
2. Try any ritual
3. Run away as the results of your inevitable critfail runs amok in said enemy base.
>>
>>49722609
That reminds me a bit of how the move "Hellboy" started.
>>
>>49705783
>dat spoiler

You monster!
>>
File: Gratz Breastplate 1590.jpg (545KB, 1393x1881px) Image search: [Google]
Gratz Breastplate 1590.jpg
545KB, 1393x1881px
>>49707474
me

>>49707068
Found a 1.523mm on the thickest point breastplate, this one is a lowend massproduced 'sword proof' breastplate, it was used with a pair of tassets instead of a fauld.

It is front only, thin and very, very cheap, as i said i could see a point for breastplates at around this thickness. Found a couple more too but nothing at the 1mm range. I will keep looking, also i'm thinking of getting one myself, for some reason there are lots of 'cheap' polish armourers
>>
What does vehicle endurance represent on B463? Hours of what, exactly? Sitting around? Moving?
>>
>>49724602
Looks like sitting around with the engine on and/or minor usage (e.g. creeping forward in deadlocked traffic).
>>
To calculate how far a wagon (B464) can travel per day, would I use the hiking rules on B351?
>>
So Gurps Gen if I wanted to do a Gundam Style campaign what would be the best way to do it? Gundams with points as characters? Spaceships? I'm not quite sure off the top of my head.
>>
File: 1475003242386.png (3MB, 1200x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1475003242386.png
3MB, 1200x1497px
>>49724950

Spaceships have have an edition about smaller fighter space ships, cinematic dogfighting and also some basic mechas.

You might still want to tune the system a bit (perhaps combining leg with thrusters for efficiency's sake) and you probably want to look at the damage model a bit to make everyone a bit more survivable (for instance you could cap damage taken to "single hit system destroyed"). You might also want to ban missiles for simplicity's sake.

There's also a pyramid issue with an article about modular mecha.
>>
>>49725048

As for the reasonale for mechas in space, I think Gundam 00 probably give you the easiest world building. The GN drive and its implications should give you the easiest time to explain shit.

I also think someone on the official forums have done some simple started UC conversions into Spaceships.
>>
>>49724922
you do the math for the animals pulling it and add the total weight as being carried but remember to take pulling rules into account.

Protip most 4ed LT vehicles can be pulled by a single animal instead of two(like the oxcart), until we get 4ed Vehicles assume everything is fucked up and do the math by yourself, also convert vehicles from 3ed
>>
>>49724922
Drawn by an oxen a wagon can travel 3 miles an hour for 5 miles a day, for a total of 15 miles.

Drawn by a horse team you'd use the horse's encumbrance to find speed, then their fatigue would be your limiting factor. This would give a kind of crazy high value for the basic set, for simplicity divide those numbers by 2.
>>
File: 11.jpg (88KB, 960x685px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
88KB, 960x685px
Hey GURPSGEN and RPM lovers, tell me if this is right?

A disposable auto-injector loaded with a mix of purified lycanthrope blood, codeine, vitamins and saline. Each of these blood vials, injected with a Ready action, restores 1d+2 HP.

Charm created with: Lesser Control Magic (5), Lesser Restore Body (4), 300lbs (+3), 1d+2 damage (+2) for (14) total energy.
>>
>>49710888
Dual weapon attack mane. Learn it as a technique, it's alot cheaper than Extra attack.
>>
>>49724249
Gurps loosely accounts for armor curvature/sloping So I just assume peak width and multiply with 3.5 to get the "estimated DR". In your case the plate would be around dr 5.
>>
>>49726362
A full suit of plate also assumes mail and padding, hence the extra dr.
>>
>>49726388
You don't use mail underneath plate unless you are using a front only piece. Also padding is explicitly too thin to offer extra DR.
>>
>>49726292

That's right if your GM gives you nothing for trappings.

Page 19 of RPM. You've got a mix of illegal drugs, monster body fluids, $20 medical supplies and thematic healing stuff that should be worth -15 to -25%
>>
>>49726481
I'd give the full 25% but every one you make would have a quirk. Maybe Nightmares of full moon and tearing things apart with your teeth.
>>
>>49726472
Basic assumes all three. If you really want you can break it down in Low-tech using layered armour rules.
>>
File: plate mail.png (289KB, 819x870px) Image search: [Google]
plate mail.png
289KB, 819x870px
>>49726951
Oh shit, jk Basic does NOT assume that you are wearing mail and shit. (damn you GCA for fooling me)
However low tech recommends it.
>>
>>49727041
the mail "anticrushing padding" is a option itself not to be confused with padding, the "common padding" doesn't add DR, its there just to be confortable, and when talking about plate and mail i was talking about 16th century plate because of my pic.
Also gapcovering mail is too a option itself, there are pieces to cover only the gaps which doesn't confer DX penalty like any layered pieces covering over half a zone(more than 3/6 chances of protecting)
>>
fnord
>>
>>49729317
It's in the index, you can look it up.
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
>>49730779
You can't make sacrifices in sorcery, though. It's kinda vegan.
>>
>>49730966
I had a weird thought the other day... are you allowed to use "taking extra time" for hardcore improvisation? Potentially, you could cast some hardcore spells if you have around a half hour to do so.
>>
>>49730992
I believe so, but in-play most GMs are going to limit how many levels of Takes Extra Time you can slap on. Past a certain point, you should be using the less intense Immediate Preparation Required instead.
>>
>>49718192
Like I said, it should work with any open-ended magic system. A symbol mage that scribes Animate and Flesh on a corpse could use the same structure. Also, IIRC that was my own personal interpretation of how RPM's Create Undead rituals worked, as the book is a little light on the details.
>>
>>49730966
What's wrong with Trigger (Rare, Illegal) [-60%]?

Admittedly by RAW you can't go below -80% with limitations but that's why you use Character Point Powered Abilities from GURPS Power Ups 8 - Limitations to reduce the cost by 1/5.

So by spending character points a mage with Sorcerous Impowerment 4 and a human sacrifice can improvise Flesh to Stone.
>>
>>49731206
I mean on B346, where you can progressively double the time of a task to add skill bonuses.
If you progressively double the normal 2 seconds for hardcore improvisation to about 34 minutes and change, you can waive the entire -10 penalty for spells that are <= 100% of your investment in sorcerous empowerment.
>>
>>49731394
Oh snappu, looking at the same page, you can only take up to +5 from extra time, but that still helps to improvise a lot of spells if you have a minute.
>>
>>49731416
>>49731394
Ohh now I see. Yeah that makes sense. It's up to the GM if the roll counts or not (not every skill or attribute roll is applicable to Time Taken), but I'd allow it in my games.
>>
>>49731394
>>49731416
>>49731450
I'm away form my books at the moment, but the rules for hardcore improvisation were originally from GURPS: Powers. Check there to see if, RAW, the Will roll can apply modifiers for Time Taken.
>>
is there something like a gurps but with roll over?
>>
>>49731865
Eh, not that I know. But you get used to roll under pretty fast.
>>
>>49731865
What's wrong with roll-under?
>>
>>49733012
The main actual issue I've seen with roll-under is that modifiers are more difficult to intuitively grasp than with roll-over, but it's not nearly as bad as dice pools (especially when you play with both pool size and modifiers). Roll-over takes the cake for simple odds.

Roll-under seems a lot cleaner to me, though, since it's readily apparent on your sheet whether or not you succeeded. There's no referencing an enemy's AC, or a non-universal TN for any given task.

Some people have an issue with roll-under having hard caps on the range, but IMO it's not an issue. It's not like your skill levels can't be higher than 18 in GURPS.
>>
I'm looking for GURPS Zombies, could anyone help?
>>
File: 1440988318845.jpg (531KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1440988318845.jpg
531KB, 1066x1600px
>>49733839
Your quest takes you to the PDF that is the OP image.

It holds the key to your desire, but also many dangers. Ready yourself, your friends, and gather your most powerful weapons.
>>
Powers: The Weird includes Automata as one of the weird-science styles, and in it are some simplified rules for gadgeteering up some self-moving mechanisms. However, it lists two different Complexity tracks: one based on the power source/power requirement, and another based on how it reacts to the environment. How exactly does that work? Do reactive automatans require two separate inventing rolls? Do you simply go with the higher of the two ratings?
>>
>>49733944

Thank you friend!
>>
>>49733704
Seems pretty intuitive. A positive modifier is good, while a negative modifier is bad. Higher numbers = better odds. How is that NOT intuitive?
>>
>>49734234
Obviously that's intuitive. The exact odds aren't intuitive. Going from SL-10 to SL-11 is going from a 50% success rate to a 62.5% success rate, a 12.5% improvement. Going from SL-15 to SL-16 is going from a 95.4% success rate to a 98.1% success rate, which is under a 3% improvement. And yet (assuming a suitably difficult skill), the cost to go from 10 to 11 is the same as 15 to 16. The cost to improve is linear while the actual improvement is not.

Meanwhile, in D+D, going from +5 to +6 increases your odds by 5%, and going from +11 to +12 increases your odds by 5%. It's a linear progression, and it's not hard to figure it out in the middle of play. +1 to a skill always costs 1 skill point, and it always gives the same improvement. There's a lot of value in such a simple system.

Specific to GURPS, though, memorizing the basic band of 9 to 16 isn't difficult, but it is still memorization. 9 to 12 is a LOT more impressive than 12 to 16, as you go from bumbling incompetent in adventures to someone who pulls their weight, while the latter means you pull your weight when conditions are unfavorable.

16 to 20 isn't intuitively impressive beyond lowering chances of rolling a failure, but it allows you to suddenly start targeting hit locations or making deceptive attacks while retaining a high critical success chance in combat, or soak -8 in penalties during an adventuring task (which is well within the realm of reason for high point games like DF).

And, of course, what skill level you want can be dependent on what skill you're using. More mundane things like History and Research could be great sitting at 12 for an entire game, while the same in Bows would be practically useless, and the same in Staff would make you a poor frontline. The context of the game also changes this; 14 in Staff is pathetic in DF, while that same 14 makes you a very scary opponent in a realistic TL3 game, barring facing remarkable combatants that are the subjects of books and poems.
>>
File: 1402137672660.jpg (55KB, 578x441px) Image search: [Google]
1402137672660.jpg
55KB, 578x441px
>>49734421
You do realized it has nothing to do with roll under but rather 3d6 vs d20?
>>
>>49734483
I don't see how it has nothing to do with it. Would you elaborate?
>>
>>49734511
d20 roll under will work the same as d20 roll over in sense that +1 to skill gives +5% odds.
Non-linear change comes from (almost) normal distribution of 3d6.
>>
>>49734421
It's true, it takes a while to understand what different SL mean and how they interact. The basic idea that there is diminished returns for going past 14 in is easy enough to remember, but the stuff other then that can be harder.

Bow, for example, takes more SL then melee combat skills to be useful. Between bow's relatively low damage (making hitting vulnerable targets more important) and the relatively high penalties for range, a SL 14 bowmen simply isn't as dangerous as an SL 14 swordsman.

That said, every system has stuff like this. Some of them are considerably worse then GURP's idiosyncrasy.
>>
>>49734545
Yeah, those are valid points. I have a problem (not sure if you can call it that, but the specific word for it escapes me) of focusing on examples of concepts, rather than the concepts themselves, i.e. when I think roll-under, I think in terms of 40k RPGs and GURPS, and when I think roll-over, I think in terms of D+D, Savage Worlds, etc.. I personally find it to be easier to use specific examples (even though it can miss the spirit of the question) than general concepts. Broadly speaking, assuming unstratified die resolution, the difference between roll-under and roll-over is practically nonexistent - BAB is equivalent to THAC0, etc..

>>49734576
All very true. Archers that people want to play, in general, would be cinematically skilled (Robin Hood, Legolas, Hawkeye, Katniss Everdeen, etc.) and somewhere in, at least, the low 20's with Heroic Archer. Having played a character with a non-cinematic Bows skill as a first character, it is a very rude surprise to go from what you think you're playing and what you're actually playing. Slow (Aim, load, shoot), weak (1d+1 imp? Seriously?), and difficult (-4 at 10 yards practically requires an Aim to not waste your arrow).
>>
File: 29582158636_0f0b374a9b_b.jpg (535KB, 1024x764px) Image search: [Google]
29582158636_0f0b374a9b_b.jpg
535KB, 1024x764px
>>49734657
I've had a lot of fun playing a non-heroic archer in a 150~ point game. It takes a lot of positioning and patience to work but setting up a shot and seriously injuring or killing someone with one shot is great. At short ranges you can risk a no-aim snap shot if you really need to.

Being an archer REALLY feels different from being a swordsman, I like that.
>>
>>49733704

If your players can't grasp roll-under within ten minutes, you have bigger problems than the system.

I mean, I can understand thac0, because that one isn't super intuitive, but roll under in general? Nah.

Anyway, GURPS with roll over would be more complicated, but you could probably do it by making skills into a bonus on your roll or something, and then the GM assigns a number you have to beat based on how hard he wants the check to be.
>>
>>49734968
>If your players can't grasp roll-under within ten minutes, you have bigger problems than the system.
>I mean, I can understand thac0, because that one isn't super intuitive, but roll under in general? Nah.
I absolutely did not mean to imply either of the above. Roll-over, roll-under, dice pools, etc. are all easily understood in under a minute, in that you can roll the dice and tell whether you passed or failed.

Calculating the odds, the probability in systems with stratified resolution mechanics, which occurs in both roll-under (GURPS) and roll-over (FFd6) are harder to intuitively grasp, as I am sure most people couldn't tell you how much better in terms of % 10 is than 9 on 3d6 or 2d6. Exploding dice can also make knowing the precise odds difficult, as can roll and keep/drop, modifying pool size, etc..

I see no reason or benefit in converting GURPS to a roll-over system, and don't understand why someone would have an aversion to it, beyond it being different. GURPS' roll-under is easy to grasp, and does something that other systems so rarely do: provides you with a success table (B171).

That said, though, knowing the probability of your attack succeeding and your enemy's defense failing is a step more complex than comparing your roll to the enemy's Armor Class or Evasion or Parry or what have you.

But enough about that. On the topic of alternative rolling methods for GURPS, has anyone used that one weird article with the wacky dice, or the one that removes dice completely and assumes a roll of 11, or Gaming Ballistic's assumption of 14 for superheroes, etc.?
>>
>>49735216
Wacky dice?
>>
>>49734545
anon, 3d6 distribution is "normal", you have(mathematically) the same odds of rolling between 3 to 10 as 11 to 18. it is roughly
3 0,46
4 1,39
5 2,78
6 4,63
7 6,94
8 9,72
9 11,57
10 12,50
11 12,50
12 11,57
13 9,72
14 6,94
15 4,63
16 2,78
17 1,39
18 0,46
You see, its a even distribuition perfect for generation previsible results. Its not "almost normal", it is perfectly 'normal'.
>>
>>49735216
>>49735303
>Wacky dice
Pyramid #3/83 - Alternate GURPS IV - Random Thought Table: A Different Side of Dice.
Article about using nontransitive dice for GURPS (three dice, but instead of 1-6, they have 3-6, 2-5, and 1-4). It seems least likely to have seen any play.

>Assumes roll of 11
Pyramid #3/65 - Alternate GURPS III - Random Thought Table: This One Goes to 11
"You got an 11. always. No rolling." You don't roll the dice; everyone is assumed to always have rolled an 11. Seems like it might have seen play, although it's still a departure from normal GURPS play.

>Gaming Ballistic assumption of 14
http://gamingballistic.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-rule-of-14-for-passive-abilities.html
Basically, when you get ridiculously high skill levels for passive abilities, such as Observation-29, you can assume you roll a 14 and compare your skill level + relevant modifiers to see if you succeed. This has seen play, but I'd like to know if anyone else has experience with it.
>>
File: 1424854574321.jpg (184KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1424854574321.jpg
184KB, 1200x900px
>>49735415
I do a sort of 'passive perception' where I'll simply tell people about things they'd see if they rolled a 12 or better on a Sense roll with the assumption that things that you could see with a mediocre-to-bad roll are relatively obvious to you. It also saves me from the Roll Perception problem, where the simple act of rolling perception makes someone alert there is something to see and rolling badly is frustrating.

Observation I tend to have people roll, because it's a skill where Extra Time and situational penalties can be quite important. Taking several seconds to get a feel for a place before you commit to action is something to encourage.
>>
>>49735358
No, just because it's symmetrical and resembles bell shape doesn't mean it's perfectly normal distribution. Do you know for sure that 3d6 was proven to have normal distribution? Because my math statistics course was 5 years ago and I completely forgot how we analyzed this shit.
>>
>>49735625
Assuming perfect dice 3d6 provides a textbook (literally, I've seen it used in textbooks) example of a normal distribution, as independent random variables within a limited parameter (the dice results) tends to the normal.
>>
>>49735625
As to proof, remember independent and identically distributed random variables? Those are dice. Statistics says (yes, this is a shitty proof, but I'm up at 3am with insomnia so it's the best I can do) that iid variables tend to a normal distribution.

>>49735799
Don't need perfect dice. You'd get a normal distribution from loaded dice too, just a biased one.
>>
/gurpsgen/ i think i just made a meme come true, one of my game characters becase redheaded after the three man party "mage" poked a hole into reality, some people changed sex too, a 15m tall sandcastle appeared in the middle of the city, a wall of thick packed snow appeared around the "mage", some things changed colors, weight, what it is, all the water became vinegar, and a oak grew in the stables. also the "mage" puked a 4 feet long coper bar.

Now i'm redrawing one of the players pic into a redhead.
>>
>>49735869
>poked a hole into reality
Not sure if I want to know what exactly happened.
>>
>>49735899
My setting is low fantasy, elves are humans who make skullbinding low. In it there is no "magic", the world is made of elements, 7 elements, the first !notchristian monk to describe them called these Spirit, or Astral, Death, Life, Earth, Air, Fire and Water, every single one except Astral has a contrary element so he thought that there is a 8 yet to be discovered element.

The elements don't have shit to do with their names, like earth is density, is "to be", physical existence while air is "to not be", inexistence, the absence of something and both work in exactly the same way, air can't be in the same place as air but both togheter, side by side, form the density of everything.

Reality is made of all the 8 elements bonded togheter to make shit happen, but some things have more of one element than other, like the living things, these have more life(expansion, the increasing of complexity) than death in them so they feel the urge to multiplicate, make things and a lot more minor things. But yet some things are even more unbalanced, like some really, really rare people, which i will call 'mage' from now on just to save time. These people, animals or anything really, have way more of one element in them than anything else, so these feel the presence of said element more than others

its getting too long cont...
>>
>>49736026
While anyone can feel all the elements, that's how they feel the world, these mages are more sensitive to their element and thats how shit starts to hit the fan. These rare mages are really rare, rare like 1 in a million so you won't see many around at TL3 !noteuropean feudalism, even less of these rare dudies or ladies has any education to know what the fuck they can 'see', so most of them just take their lives liking a little more of harm places or just disliking people and complexity but some of them have education and has stumbled on some ancient texts about the nature of the world, some of them get a gasp of what they have and start fucking around, trying things, trying to discover more of the world and themselves, some along the centuries have even set up laboratories to experiment mixing things or doing that little thing that makes their fingers feel funny, which they can feel but nobody sees it. So as you could see up to this point not much development has been made about the world itself and any development was probably lost in accidents or is somewhere in a old book lying around after not being open in eight hundred years.

too long cont...
>>
>>49736166
This player, Amaura a little fucker, who likes to fuck around for shits and giggles, daughter of a merchant who inherited her father caravan, two oxcarts, two bulls, a couple hundred litters in wine, some porcelain and two bags of lowend coins, iron and cheap alloy, is a mage, she has death affinity, she can feel the ungrowing, the need to be simple, shrink and dimmish, she didin't had the happiest live in the world but it wasn't a depressive one, anyway, she is now, after some travelling and merchanting, started experiments, and this time she wanted to proof something for a NPC, she went then to do the thing which made her fingers feel funny, a lot, for how much she was cappable of to see if anything would happen, and, well, shit happened, a unlucky roll with critfail pulled too much from her, all of her 13fp, 11hp and 34 ambient energy for a total of 130 energy, this thing openned a small rat sized hole in reality for a fraction of a second for a total of 11 quirks from the net libram of random effects, 2 quirks from thaumatology “Reality-Warping” table and one quirk from the Diabolic/Horrific Table, she lost all her skin color, now she has a death pale skin, has albin eyes which look red because of the blood vessels, is hauted by voices coming from nowhere for d6 hours, has a lowlight region around her for d6 hours, puked a 4 feet long 102kg copper bar, a 15 meters tall sand castle appeared on the city center, some other minor things for a total of now being Unattractive and a blatant total of 14 Unnatural Features levels
>>
File: Duncan Ruivo 5.png (2MB, 2000x1950px) Image search: [Google]
Duncan Ruivo 5.png
2MB, 2000x1950px
>>49736179
also this player is now redheaded, I'm still trying to figure out how to finish the shading
>>
>>49736179
Kek
yeah you fucked up.

Also what's this about ambient energy and random effects?
>>
File: hole4chan.png (43KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
hole4chan.png
43KB, 800x600px
>>49736286
Well, yes, she fucked up, and so did i because i used my memerules made for resulting this type of thing on really bad fails.

>What's this about ambient energy and random effects?
Well, as i said the world if made of the same natural forces she is trying to fuck with so anything, don't matter how small it is, has a chance to drag influence from the natural forcesenergy for system purpose, thats "ambient energy", and, well, the more energy in a given point the bigger the warped reality region is, so getting as much as 100-150 energy at the same time in any given point in space will creat a really minor reality 'failure', a hole btween the real space and nothing, a tunnel btween reality and no fucking thing, you just break reality and shit goes wild. Someone with absolute controll of all the 8 elements could do absolute anything.

About the random effects: well, i'm using a assortment of custom, thaumatology(4ed book), and the net libram of random effects tables for the random quirk effects. All my 4 players lurk here so they will get my muh secret list now, i fear roll fudging.
>>
>>49735799
>>49735844
To be totally pedantic, isn't it a multinomial distribution because it is a discrete function? There are only 216 possible rolls, and only 16 possible outcomes. A normal distribution assumes a continuous distribution, and if it were a normal distribution you'd have around a ~0.3% chance of rolling 1.62 or less, or 19.38 or more, emphasis on the non-integral values.
>>
welp
>>
>>49733953
Bump on this, or should I ask on the forums instead?
>>
>>49736487
ah, Thank ya
>>
>>49733953
>>49737820
I'll post it there. I'm curious about a lot of the stuff from The Weird myself. Mindbending strangeness is no excuse for unclear rules.
>>
>>49734421
What you described is a problem that exists due to the dice, as >>49734483 stated, so I'll be discussing that. A d20 has an equal chance to turn up on any side. 3d6 has more variety in chance, which is why I like it. If you know anything about probability, you can appropriately make 3d6 tables that work /better/ than d20 table. For the latter, if you would like to have probability NOT be evenly dispersed, you have to assign an entry on a table to multiple numbers. For the former, and this is true for any multiple dice (2d6, 5d20, etc), you can assign rare things at the ends of your table, and more common things in the center, and have each entry on the table correspond to one number without sacrificing probability.

In my experience, I find getting a critical in GURPS more satisfying than in D&D. Turning up a 20 has the same chance as turning up any other number, while in 3d6 a 3 has a whopping 0.46% chance to turn up. Relatively, this is not as extreme of course.

As for the SL thing: it accurately reflects gaining skill in real life. If you are just starting out painting, for example, going from SL10 to SL11 is similar to learning proper stroking techniques or whatever, while going from SL16 to SL17 is similar to honing your already established style, and otherwise learning extremely advanced techniques. The system, for lack of a better word, is realistic. People don't gain skill in a linear fashion. If that were the case, you would have mathematicians that have already unlocked the secrets of the universe. Instead, after years and year they find a scrap, and each scrap is equal to an SL.

That is, at least, how I understand SL in GURPS.

In the end, the GM determines how effective a skill is. There are a lot more (obvious) modifiers attached to using Bows than using History, so of course there is a difference in how SL affects those skills.
>>
>>49740708
>tables
I found most tables in GURPS to work on 2d6. From 11 to 16, then 21 to 26, etc. Not from 3 to 18.
>>
>>49741059
How do you figure?

Also, how does one go from 11 to 16, 21 to 26 on 2d6?
>>
>>49741171
Are you serious?
Roll a die, then another.
Now each will have anything from 1 to 6, right? So you can have 1 1, 1 2, 1 3, 1 4, 1 5, 1 6, 2 1, 2 2, 2 3, 2 4, 2 5, 2 6, 3 1, 3 2, 3 3, 3 4, 3 5, 3 6, etc.
>>
>>49741267
Sorry, I didn't consider that. I always roll both dice at once and total the numbers.
>>
So i'm trying to make a 17th century colonial prostitute, the lover of a pirate captain, i will also act as the "solve anything unexpected" to my captain, another player, we both have 60/-40, i have an idea but does anyone has suggestions?
>>
>>49742130
Is English not your first language? Or did you just word that so poorly as to be inscrutable?
>>
What's the best way to model plasma weapons similar to Halo?
>>
>>49742130
"Solve anything unexpected" requires you have a very broad base, so favor attributes and Talents over pumping up specific skills as much as you can despite your low point total.

Allies and Contact Groups are an incredibly cheap source of skills, so while you personally may not be able to help in this situation, you almost always know a guy. Your background as a prostitute could justify some of those traits as well; you've shared an evening with everyone from the mafioso's favored son to the captain of the guard to a titan of industry. One perfumed letter later, you can call up all sorts of helpful folk. If all else fails, you probably have the social skills to get new people to help you (Sex Appeal, Fast Talk, Acting, and Streetwise).

>>49742668
Piss off.
>>
>>49742853
Take whatever weapons you give the UNSC, copy/them and rename to Covenant stuff and describe them as shooting plasma, not bullets.
>>
>>49742853

Fairly low damage, an armour divisor, burning, explosive, poor Acc, decent RoF, use the overheating rules from High-Tech even though other weapons in the setting don't.
>>
File: 1442259577708.jpg (809KB, 981x1450px) Image search: [Google]
1442259577708.jpg
809KB, 981x1450px
>>49743059
My thought on that would be to go for IQ 13 and a bunch of skills at 1 or 2 points to cover a lot of bases. Physical combat at TL 4 is relatively physically demanding so stay at a distance and avoid getting sucked in, don't be afraid to surrender. As someone with Social Stigma (Valuable Property) you are more likely to be captured then killed, in many cases.

His advice is pretty good. 20 points in allies and contacts should give you someone to call on for most problems and task.

Talent (Allure) from Power Ups 3 would be good if you want to double down on a basic collection of unchaste women skills.

If you have to, remember that sex appeal and acting can let you get people to lower their guard around you. A modest investment in Knife, then an all out attack on the vitals or throat, should let you kill most people.
>>
Is there any point where one's ST is so low for any given gun, they take damage or some other penalty? For example, a human shooting a 20mm cannon without being prone.

In addition, does Size Modifier effect how one can use a gun at all? Does it give a penalty unless said weapon is modified to be your size?
>>
>>49744507
Not RAW for either case, but it's an easy fix; a critfail or due to an ST penalty results in injury to the hand/arm instead of a jam or stoppage, and SM is mostly a common sense thing (an ST+1 dude can still fit their big ol' finger inside the trigger guard and squeeze without issue, but SM+3 would be too large to use unmodified).
>>
>>49744751
So, say SM has a +1/-1 grace period with weapons, and I'll use the critfail ST penalties you suggested. Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1473086004762.jpg (97KB, 1000x875px) Image search: [Google]
1473086004762.jpg
97KB, 1000x875px
What's a 'fun' way to evolve out a minor lizardfolk race? Scaly hide, scent, and claws all feel a bit overdone...
>>
>>49744827
Detachable limbs?
>>
>>49744827
Poisonous lizards as a base would make a different sort of race. Trade out the thick, rough, and drab brown-green scales that every lizard race has for slick soft scales that come in a rainbow of colors. Claws would be vestigial; instead, their natural defense would be secreted toxins on the skin, or possibly a poisonous attack like a forearm barb, venomous bite or even spit, etc.

Totally unrelated to the existing theme, but everyone also has frill-ears that increase hearing capabilities rather than superhuman scent (we kut-ku now).
>>
File: 1455410274739 (1).jpg (283KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
1455410274739 (1).jpg
283KB, 900x1273px
>>49745405
>Detachable limbs?
hmm. how? regen(reattachment)?

>>49745462
>Poisonous lizards
mmmmmmm yesssss
>>
>>49745490
Detachable limbs could be Regeneration + Regrowth + Injury Tolerance (Detachable Body Parts) with the Active Defense limitation
>>
File: 1410916513212.jpg (31KB, 372x498px) Image search: [Google]
1410916513212.jpg
31KB, 372x498px
>>49746130
Ugh, that seems a super tall point total for a racial template...
Regen(slow) is [10] + Regrowth (reattachment +50%) is [60], and independant body parts is 35!
Maaaaybe, but thats a steep ticket. I was thinking these would be mooks...
>>
>>49746594
First of all, you don't actually need regen or regrowth to reattach detachable bodyparts.
Injury Tolerance (Independent Body Parts; Reattachment Only, -50%) [18]

If you want to regrow completely destroyed limb, then yes, you need Regrowth and maybe Regeneration (Limited, Regrowth Only) to speed up process.
>>
>>49746594
>>49746879
Also, you can save up ALOT with Backslash from Power Ups 8 and Takes Extra Time or Immediate Preparation Required - you consciously prepare your body to restoration process, then fall asleep until it's finished.
>>
>>49746594
If they are mostly mooks, does the point value matter all that much?

Oh, and so I'm still contributing to your request for unusual lizard folk powers...

Horned Toads can bleed from their orifices at will to frighten predators, maybe you can give lizards Terror(Costs HP) plus a poison attack?
>>
>>49702993
Remember that it's /gurpsgen/, remember to put /gurpsgen/ in the subject, and remember to use the word "GURPS" in the OP so people can find the thread.

>>49747208
Statting up mooks and such helps you learn the system, and builds can transfer over for when a player (or you as a player) wants something similar.

>>49746594
Have you done any research on reptiles? Give them camouflage abilities like chameleons, or spitting venom, or flight (gliding), or swimming and the ability to stay underwater for extended periods + raid riverboats to grapple people and drown them, make them reproduce asexually like whiptail lizards, give them spines all over their body like a thorny devil, etc.
>>
>>49748741
With a Racial template you've always got the option to balance powerful bonuses with heavy disadvantages. I'd note that Regrowth is REALLY expensive for what it dose. It's cheaper for most characters to get Unkillable 2 and just re-spawn with a new, undamaged body then to get the ability to grow back a damaged arm.
>>
>>49749693
RPK's opinion on that
>Regrowth is a different issue. Essentially, it gives you a weaker version of Injury Tolerance (No Eyes [5], No Vitals [5], and Unbreakable Bones [10]) -- you do take the injury, but can grow it back over a long period of time. Considering that for 20 points you can be absolutely immune to dismemberment, it makes no sense to charge 40 points to be able to recover from dismemberment over a long period of time. I think -50% is a conservative value for "Loses the limb/organ but grows it back weeks/months later", which sets a fair value at 10 points.
>>
File: 31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg (37KB, 643x427px) Image search: [Google]
31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg
37KB, 643x427px
>>49749737
Stuff like this is the only reason I think GURPS could use a 4.1 edition to consolidate some rules, clear up some things, re-cost some advantages, ect..

Also, to put RPM in the core book.
>>
>>49749781
Yes. But for some reason they don't like to override old stuff even if it has obvious problems. Off-Hand Training perk is the only thing I can remember.
>>
On the subject of RPM..

For a Grimoire, is a ritual that creates a charm and one cast normally two different things?

Two, is this right?

Ghost Killer Bullets

Rock salt with a pinch of grave dirt in a shotgun shell marked with "Requiescat in pace et in amore".

Along with the normal effects of the rock salt the rounds cause 3d+3 damage to Undead creatures.

Lesser Control Magic (5), Lesser Destroy Undead (5), 1d+1 Damage (1) Total (11) Energy.
>>
>>49749849
IIRC, charm's Lesser Control Magic doesn't change the definition of spell, so Grimoire should work for either version.
>>
>>49749781

I'd rather they put Sorcery in the basic book and made consolidated all the other magic systems in a remake of GURPS Magic.

Sorcery is the system that least requires new rules, so it works best with the rest of the basic set.
>>
>>49750099
Sorcery is good and should definitely be in. But the default spell-based magic should still be in too, to showcase that GURPS does have different magic system. Maybe reworked a bit based on the usual complaints (like requirements, costs, etc.).
>>
>>49702993
Anyone have any good "mental hit points" subsystem? Really want to go for that Darkest Dungeon feel, but don't want to throw a lot of Fright Checks.
>>
>>49750423
Kitbashed and likely unbalanced, but a first take on this..

Stress

Stress is a temporary disadvantage and an alternative to normal fright checks. Rather then make a fright check when confronted by something horrific, a character may instead gain a level of stress, or two levels of stress if the Fright Check penalty would have been 4 or greater.

When you first take a level of Stress, pick a Temperament: sanguine (optimistic and social), choleric (short-tempered or irritable), melancholic (analytical and quiet), and phlegmatic (relaxed and peaceful). Every time your stress goes from 0 to 1 you may pick a different temperament, but may not change it unless you reach 0 stress.

When your current Stress equals 1/2 your will, you gain a temporary mental disadvantage based on your Temperament;

Sanguine gains a Delusion, typically that they are not in serious danger.

Choleric gains Bad Temper(12), or takes -2 to self control rolls if already possessing that trait.

Melancholic gains an Obsession related to the current situation, such as to Kill or Study the subject of their stress.

Phlegmatic gains Laziness, and acts last in combat rather then at their normal speed.

When Stress is equal to your Will, take -2 to all IQ and Self Control rolls.

If Stress reaches Will x2 a character suffers a mental break. Sanguine reject reality and though able to defend themselves are unable to operate effectively. Choleric gains Berserk (12) and are likely to be considerable dangers to anyone around them. Melancholic gains Megalomaniac and Paranoid, while Phlegmatic gains Chronic Depression.
>>
>>49750657
Each day when they wake, or at dawn if not sleeping, a character may roll Will to recover from stress. Success heals 1 level of Stress. Critical success heals 2 levels, while critically failing inflicts a level of stress.

Modifiers:
+2 for a warm, safe place to sleep
+1 for hot and noshing food
+1 for being able to speak with a friend or loved one for at least a half hour

-2 for sleeping in a cold or wet place
-3 if not sleeping at all, keeping alert for danger
-2 if in the company of others suffering from stress related Mental Disadvantages.
-1 for No Food
>>
>>49749781
>Also, to put RPM in the core book.

RPM is faaaaar too vague and even easier to break than default Magic. Maybe with extensive polishing, and a bigger grimoire.
>>
>>49750788

Yeah, the lack of a comprehensive grimoire is RPM's biggest problem and would really impede it's use as a default magic system. When they scan through the book, players want to see what they can do - being told "you can do anything!" isn't helpful. A good grimoire would help immensely.
>>
File: 1453798366314.jpg (103KB, 1090x645px) Image search: [Google]
1453798366314.jpg
103KB, 1090x645px
>>49749737
>>49749693
>>49748741
>>49747208
LizardAnon here: all very good suggestions.
Yes, I should likely ignore point totals for looks/NPCs. Likely these guys could be a player race as well in setting, so it's good to have the racial template up.
Also, yeah, Regen, regrowth, and reattachment are all nuts, but doable on a budget for the theme of the LEEZARDZ. Certainly, I can offer it as a racial advantage, buying it up from a base level for more 'advanced' members of the species.

Also; blood eyes and thorny hides. You terrifyingly weird motherfuckers.
>>
File: 1473470595310.png (246KB, 1136x717px) Image search: [Google]
1473470595310.png
246KB, 1136x717px
>>49750657
>>49750686

I like it.
>>
File: GURPS 3e Vehicles.gif (335KB, 540x235px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS 3e Vehicles.gif
335KB, 540x235px
4e Vehicles way?
>>
So I'm looking at Ultra-Tech.
Vacc-suit are said to give DR to "all" locations, but then mention you need a helmet to actually close them. Do you add the DR from the helmet ontop of the vacc suit's? Do you ignore the skull/face/eyes DR from the vacc suit and use that of the helmet?
>>
>>49754951
Based on the design of the suit, I'd layer it but omit the face/eyes/skull. To represent the suit over the body and clinging to the head, but also having the separate helmet.

UT really just needed another round of editing didn't it? Super unclear.
>>
>>49754951
>A vacc suit covers the whole body, including a rigid, removable helmet and life support pack.
Top of page 179. The cost, wieght, and locations covered assume you're using the included helm.
>>
>>49755180
Oh right, my bad. It's the combat hardsuit that has "all locations" and then "helmet not included", don't know why I assumed vacc suit'd be the same.
>>
>>49755550
I would still treat combat hardsuits as covering the head, though; the helmet DR is lower than the armor of the same TL, so stacking the DR would improve survivability. You need a separate helmet to keep it sealed, but the articulated plates and advanced polymer fabric can impede rounds to the skull and face.

I guess that would make Space Combat Helmets look/act more like greathelms that go over the lighter, less protective space-coifs. I think that's cool, though, so I've got no issue with it.
>>
>>49755180

The vaccsuit section is really ambiguous, but seeing this line:
>It is sealed with the addition of a vacc suit helmet (p. 180),
Makes me think that they don't include helmets in weight/cost. Otherwise why would they point you to where the helmets are?

>>49755790

Ultra-Tech is inconsistent with what "all" locations means. I wouldn't personally treat combat hardsuits as covering the head. The reason the hardsuits have less DR than the combat helmets is because armouring the head is really bloody hard.
>>
>>49756123
Is armoring the fingers or under the armpits that much easier? They get 30 DR too, while the skull only gets 18.
>>
>>49756218

That's... a good point, actually.
>>
>>49756123
Pointing to p. 180 is a mistake, if only because there *is* no explicit "vacc suit helmet" on the table. I think that's an artifact from an older revision and stand by my assertion that at the very least vacc suits have included sealed helms

>armouring the head is really bloody hard.
wut. I thought heads were easy as fuck to stick armor on to because of the relative lack of motion; as long as the neck is free, you're good.
>>
>>49756263

Yeah, I'm coming round to your point of few, since there's no single "this is the default vacc suit helmet" item on p. 180. Maybe it's yet more bad editing.

>I thought heads were easy as fuck to stick armor on to because of the relative lack of motion; as long as the neck is free, you're good.

Well, you can just stick armour on there but there's two problems. Firstly, you have problems with impacts. The head is far more sensitive to impacts than any other part of the body, to the point where armour can stop a blade, but the impact force of it can still injure or kill. You need fucktons of padding on the head to make armour any more than pointless. Secondly, the head needs to move. All. The. Fucking. Time. You're probably not aware of how often your head moves and with too much weight on there your reflexes are slowed and environmental awareness tanks.
>>
>>49756492
With UT, the solution is easy. Turn the helmet into a large dome, leaving you free to move your head around, with screens inside showing the outside. Or just in the dark completely with images from outside to contact lenses. Or directly in your brain for higher tech levels.
>>
where do i find Spaceships conversion to TL4?
>>
So, one of my players in a Transhuman Space game /really/ wants to play a raccoon who is focused in combat. Specifically with firearms.

I am correct in saying that this is more or less completely unfeasible, correct? Assuming most guns are made for SM 0, and anything smaller would require lower damages/etc.
>>
>>49758064
Does he really want to play an actual raccoon or some sort of furry whose base animal is a raccoon?
Otherwise, laser guns. Or a perk to use weapons of a higher SM.
>>
>>49758092
Its obviously a Guardians of the Galaxy rip off character.
>>
>>49758092
An uplifted raccoon. Same shape, size, etc.

He really wants to use guns, but I've been fairly certain that you can't really scale guns down to fit a raccoon's hands, so... Do I just sort of say that what he wants isn't really a thing, unless he wants to be a big raccoon, or have funky human sized hands.
>>
File: RR.jpg (232KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RR.jpg
232KB, 1600x1000px
>>49758064
So Rocket Raccoon?

As long as they meet the ST requirement to lift them and take the Huge Weapons perk to deal with the SM difference, there's no issue.
>>
>>49758144
Where is Huge Weapons listed, and is it considered cinematic? I'm running on full realism here.
>>
>>49758169

He can hipshot/use bracing to reduce the strenght penalty.

Furthermore, using a weapon that's too heavy for you just penalizes you. It isn't impossible.

And he can build himself a little racoon sized exoskeleton to help him carry shit.
>>
>>49758169
Power-Ups: Perks
It's realism is debatable; it covers the training required to use weapons with oversized or undersized grips. A raccoon is about SM-2 I'd wager, so it's not too out there -- an adjustment in the grip, different way of cradling the weapon, and similar things covered by the perk could justify using an oversized gun.

Also you're talking about a player playing an uplifted raccoon commando; I think any worries about realism should have been abandoned long ago.
>>
>>49758140

>He really wants to use guns, but I've been fairly certain that you can't really scale guns down to fit a raccoon's hands, so... Do I just sort of say that what he wants isn't really a thing, unless he wants to be a big raccoon, or have funky human sized hands.

Making a customized handle for your gun should be a fairly simple invention. He could also use some sort of smartgun that doesn't need him to pull the trigger to shoot.
>>
>>49758210
>>49758252
Well, I guess. The idea of something with SM-3 using a full sized weapon, even if the grip is modified, is extremely absurd to me, but if the rules say so... I really wish GURPS had hard caps on Strength differences for weapon usage.
>>
>>49758279
Maybe there is something in tactical shooting.
>>
>>49758279
You seem to not want the character concept to work out. Why not just straight-up tell the player "no you can't play a gun-toting raccoon in this game, make something else"?
>>
>>49758279

Well, it wouldn't matter too much with gyrojet weapons - which are common in THS - as long as the character could actually point the barrel in the right direction.

Same for laser or electrolaser weapons.
>>
>>49758331
Because I'm a shit and don't want confrontation. I hate declining character concepts, and he REALLY wants to play it.

>>49758335
Yeah, Gyrojet, probably. I'll tell him that and just roll with it.
>>
>>49758409
give him obligatory kleptomania, as part of his raccoon instincts. It'll be fun. Put tons of caveats on his character.
>>
File: 1430738275689.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1430738275689.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>49758331

I honestly don't know why a gun-totting Racoon wouldn't fit in a THS campaign. There's a template for uplifted racoons and everything that are tl appropriate.

And lets be real now, it's probably not the weirdest thing you could stuff an infomorph into.
>>
>>49758493
Why? If the GM doesn't like it, he should say no and not bog the PC down unfairly.
>>
>>49758539
I am mildly sadistic that is why. Although its also one way for him to passive aggressively make it less probable by giving the fucker tons of disadvantages for the sake of 'realism'
>>
>>49758522
There is a template for it and everything, but it's just... IQ -3, ST -5. And he wants to be primarily for combat. I'm going to use tactical shooting, so IQ is important for combat, and with -5 ST he's going to be put out of action by more or less anything that hits him. Mechanically, it's just not a super hot idea.

That, and he's going to make the raccoon talk like a baby, and I know he's a furry to that sort of raises a flag.

Also, it's not an infomorph, it's just an uplift.
>>
>>49758592

>That, and he's going to make the raccoon talk like a baby, and I know he's a furry to that sort of raises a flag.

Things have suddenly taken a turn towards the worse.

Abort ship. Flush the raccoon through the airlock.
>>
>>49758592
Itty-bitty exoskeleton would help with the toting, and SM-3 can be a huge benefit for avoiding getting hit in the first place (not only are attacks at -3, it's also easier to find cover/hiding places). Is there a cap on IQ? He could just buy it back up.

...Everything else though? Fuck no, I'd reject that right out.
>>
>>49758592

Yep. I'd have to get out the red stamp for that.

>>49758698
You can play a trash panda in power armor if you want, but that guy? Naw man, you are right. I'd Nope out of that hard.
>>
>>49758698
There is a hard cap on the IQ, yes.

>>49758735
Is it because he's a known furry and is playing a, well, furry? Or is it just because he's playing a raccoon that acts and talks like a five year old? (To be fair, I've only seen him bullshitting around with another player ICly a little bit, so I don't have a super great grasp on how he's playing it.)
>>
File: 1426509114678.jpg (4KB, 192x182px) Image search: [Google]
1426509114678.jpg
4KB, 192x182px
>>49758764

It's because he's a furry indulging in:
>pretending to be a baby
>furrydom
>gunwank

Now that's a red flag triumvirate if I've ever seen it.
>>
File: 18517898066_56da5c9a53_b.jpg (333KB, 1024x701px) Image search: [Google]
18517898066_56da5c9a53_b.jpg
333KB, 1024x701px
>>49758764
It's the baby thing.
>>
>>49758808
I have a player that always wants to play wifus and lolis. We managed to basically shame him out of it. Its one thing to get together and have fun as a group. Its another thing to try to force your fetishes into things.

His wifus: would get hit on occasionally by males.. usually resulting in their murder by his wifu character. This would often end up getting her in trouble.

His lolis just didn't tend to survive long. This wasn't intentional. (I am the forever gm).

For both we'd occasionally tease him about why he was getting mad when guys hit on his character, or why is he playing a little girl.

That being said this behavior would probably be considered low tier harassment by more normal people, but its par for the course for my friend group. He now plays acceptable characters and we all have fun.
>>
File: edd.png (182KB, 419x302px) Image search: [Google]
edd.png
182KB, 419x302px
>>49758764
Personally, I wouldn't care about a furry player being a furry character, as long as it makes sense in-universe, but that may just be because I'm degenerate furry garbage as well but the being a baby thing pushes it over the line and makes it clear this is just him putting his weird fetish into the game
>>
>>49759004
It might be because I told him that he'd intelligence equivalent to a five year old? But I did state that was in mental capacity, not in actual personality.
>>
Are neo-coons even officially part of the Transhuman Space setting? Can't seem to find them in any of my books...
>>
>>49759105
Not super officially, but it's mentioned that you can use the uplift templates from 4E's Biotech book.
>>
>>49758592

Making it a Bioshell for an infomorph would solve the IQ problem - and have the benefit of making the character sexless (at least by default).

Or just a cybershell that looks like a racoon - Shell-Tech has a few things like that IIRC. Could actually be fairly useful.
>>
>>49759294
He really doesn't want to be an infomorph. I've already suggested that, and he said he for sure wants to be an uplift.
>>
>>49759328
He seems oddly emphatic. Either he is big into Guardians of the Galaxy, or that is another red flag, or both.
>>
>>49759384

I'd go for Big Red Flag myself - a Rocket Raccoon Eidolon compiled by an oldschool 2D comic book fan would *actually* make sense for the setting.

Hell, that kind of thing might be a popular hobby for bored Eloi with the technical skills.
>>
>>49759496
Yeah, I'd let my players do that in a heartbeat compared to the other. It fits, and if done right is very characterful.
>>
>>49702993

What TL would a dieselpunk setting be?
>>
>>49760036
Late 6, basically 7 in many ways but without the most telltale parts of 7 like nuclear tech and magnetic tape computers.
>>
File: 1457775607574.jpg (69KB, 564x772px) Image search: [Google]
1457775607574.jpg
69KB, 564x772px
>>49760099
Yeah diesel punk often embodies the rampant industrialization and tech progress of the second world war. Ideology vs urbanization vs dehumanization vs technological inspiration.
>>
>>49760099
6+1?
>>
>>49760949
Depends. I mean like Resistance: Fall of Man would be TL 6^, or 6+5 with crazy weapons and powers mixed with classic world-war 2 style stuff.
>>
Is there a spell for creating small stones and NOT shooting them like a missile? Like if I wanted to create a bag of stones for throwing at people. Or does Create Earth fit the bill?
>>
>>49760949
Pick your aesthetic. That's the first TL
Pick the most advanced tech that it has, beyond the capabiloties of the first, that's your +TL difference.
If there is super science fuckeryz add a ^

Diesel punk dystopian 'modern times' would be TL6+2
Victorian steampunk Jules Verne travelling to the moon via aetherships with lightsabers and antigravity guns would be TL5+4^
>>
>>49761066
Create Earth creates dirt, a firm clod would work but you'd have to Earth-To-Stone it to make a rock.

For greater efficiency, maybe try collecting a bag of rocks from a river bed?
>>
File: 01 (2).jpg (96KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
01 (2).jpg
96KB, 480x640px
>>49750657
I like the idea of picking a temperament and the way some start with minimal drawbacks but get back later while others suck to start but never get crippling.

Phlegmatic should drop 'act last', it's bad enough without that and gets crippling later.
>>
>>49761173
If Create Earth can only make dirt, then why does it require Earth to Stone to learn?
>>
>>49761642
Because it just does. The other spells make it very clear that earth and stone are different. Create Earth says it makes earth. It can't make stone.
>>
>>49762357
Okay.
>>
>>49761642
Because one of the general patterns in Magic is that transmuting a thing is simpler than creating a thing out of nothing. You can't create a thing if you don't understand it well enough to turn something related but different into that thing.
>>
File: small-stone-cottage1.jpg (39KB, 490x342px) Image search: [Google]
small-stone-cottage1.jpg
39KB, 490x342px
>>49761642

Best to just use Shape Earth to make a perfect set of throwing stones then harden them into Stone with Earth to Stone.

That combination ended up doing odd things in a game I was in, mostly because our mage would make a cozy stone cottage with a fireplace, sleeping loft and build in table every time it was time to rest.

At a crossroads we made one, then came back the same way a month later. We were going to use it again when we found a family living inside. Rather then be dicks and kick them out we made another nearby and stayed there.

One more time and there was a whole goddamn village springing up there, with a string of inns operating out of the cottages we'd left every 20-30 miles along the road.
>>
>>49760036
6^
>>
>>49763261

>That combination ended up doing odd things in a game I was in, mostly because our mage would make a cozy stone cottage with a fireplace, sleeping loft and build in table every time it was time to rest.

This is how you do worldbuilding. Why bother making buildings the old-fashioned way when a mage with Shape Earth and Earth to Stone can do the same thing in a day? Imagine entire cities made like that. Baroque cathedrals with details rendered in stone that would make a mason scratch his head.
>>
help /gurpsgen/ i need rules for creating tl4 ships
>>
>>49761315
are you into catgirls eating rats?
>>
>>49765119
A little hard. Do you want to just get good enough or a full building system?
>>
>>49765119
TL 4 ships typically range from SM+4 (30') to SM+8 (150'), and weigh between 40 and 3000 tons. Vessels smaller then this are typically considered boats instead, and can be carried by larger vessels. (The schooner in Low Tech, for example, might more reasonably be considered a mail boat or pinnace.

With average winds they can accomplish roughly 3 miles an hour sustained speed. In good winds ship-rigged vessels might make up to 7 knots, while a truly adventurous soul with a sloop might manage 12.
>>
File: 5552402780_79c799d4b5_b.jpg (289KB, 1024x719px) Image search: [Google]
5552402780_79c799d4b5_b.jpg
289KB, 1024x719px
>>49765659
For the adventurous, small pinnace like this are an interesting option. It can be schooner rigged, though for a ship this small two mast isn't worth the effort and a gaff-rigged sloop like this is better.

Two people can manage a ship like this, while it can hold 18 tons of cargo or so. I hope you like each other, because.. well, there's maybe a tiny cabin under the deck but in general everything under the deck is ballast, bilges and cargo.
>>
>>49765300
well, both can work but i'd preffer a full building system. I'm diving on vehicles after 5 years without touching it but i can't find the conversion pdf
>>
>>49766060
This one is fake or i might just have saved something over it, so HELP finding a conversion guide from 3ed vehicles to 4ed
>>
>>49766086
Some thoughts grabbed from the SJG fourms for converting from 3rd edition. For a lot of ship building, the easy way would be to use 3rd edition rules then convert them.

>From wabishtar on SJG fourm

ST/HP
cube root(3rd edition Body HP) * 12

Handling
Water Vehicles : ((3rd edition maneuver rating/Top Speed in mph) * 500) - 6
Ground Vehicles : ((3rd edition maneuver rating/Top Speed in mph) * 500) - 5
Air Vehicles : ((3rd edition maneuver rating/Top Speed in mph) * 200) - 5

SR
Keep the same, however, nothing over 5.

HT
Keep the same
>>
File: 21_Foot_Sloop_Wallpaper.jpg (135KB, 1261x987px) Image search: [Google]
21_Foot_Sloop_Wallpaper.jpg
135KB, 1261x987px
>>49766228
>>49766060

Another option would be to use GURPS spaceships and pyramid 3/40 and 3/64. You'd need to kitbash it but you'd end up with a weird and robust way to make any kind of ship.
>>
is the 'volume' at Vehicles p69 in square feet, cubic inches or cubic feet? i can't remember shit nor i can find it
>>
can some american help me with a simple thing? is 150' different from 150"? are those both inches?
>>
>>49767662
The first is for foot
The second is for inch.
And I am not even american
>>
>>49766252
A lot of the work has already been done if you want to go this route, and somebody made a really incredible Excel file to do most of the heavy lifting. The most recent version includes the content from Pyramid 3/64, too.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=62539
>>
File: foot.jpg (11KB, 300x183px) Image search: [Google]
foot.jpg
11KB, 300x183px
>>49766490
Cubic feet.
>>
>>49767696
i fear you are wrong, i can't belive that you can make up to 150 feet masts at TL4
>>
>>49768054
fuck me hms victory had masts over 140feet, and the to go brig over 120
>>
>>49768054
I think TL 5 starts later in third edition, which might be relevant.
>>
>>49768192
TL4 brigs also have around 120 feets, and those 150' are from before industrialization when we start using metal masts.

Also can someone help me? i don't get how i calculate move after the sail thurst(0.4 lbs. ×
area of sail × wind force), i got 18000, how do i get actual move now?
>>
>>49768399
Give up.
Find the GVB (GURPS Vehicle Builder) program. I think it's floating off some torrent.
>>
>>49768439
Anon, that math isn't hard, thats fourth grade math, the problem is that i can't find the fucking formula, i don't have time to go through every single phrase(but i'm going through it now), i need to work.I'm just asking if someone remembers how to do it so it can save me a lot of needless reading about TL5+ shit
>>
>>49768399

Page 130-132.
>>
>>49768533
The problem isn't that it's hard. The problem is when you'll want to tweak something and need to recalculate everything all over again.
>>
>>49768575
thank you anon, i fucking love you.

>>49768608
i got a spreadsheet, spent almost 4 hours making it work
>>
>>49768608

This.

When I was trying to design "muh gundams" in 3e mecha I wanted to cry everytime I noticed something was wrong, because you only spot idiotic stuff when you are done, and it's always something in the beginning that supports everything else that is wrong (usually your assumption of heavy you want it to be compared to what actual hp and dr numbers you got).
>>
File: GVB.png (78KB, 1186x638px) Image search: [Google]
GVB.png
78KB, 1186x638px
>>49768439
Not that anon but i got GVB but it only shows 2ed books, do i have the wrong one?
>>
Someone suggested GURPS for a bloodborne game.

How would you do magic for dark souls or bloodborne?

>>49763068
No idea what RPM or any of that is.
>>
>>49769557
RPM is short for ritual path magic. It is a very slow to use, but flexible system.
Charms are a way to store a spell to use later at a nigh instantaneous rate.

Not sure how magic is in Bloodborne, but basically if you did what he is suggesting... your character would be spending hours at a bonfire reloading spells (and there is a lot of freedom in creating custom spells here) and then use them near instantly in combat.
>>
>>49768712
Those are 3rd Edition GURPS. "2nd Edition" in this case means a revised edition of a 3rd Edition book.
>>
File: 1454301687636.jpg (56KB, 603x800px) Image search: [Google]
1454301687636.jpg
56KB, 603x800px
Good news: I have a bunch more time to work on my game
Bad news: because I was laid off today

The Grimwyrd saga shall continue!
>>
>>49768054
Oh, they absoloutly could. Keep in mind that a TL 4 large ship's mast isn't a single bit of wood.

They'd be 3 or more sections. The lowest and thickest part would be a core wrapped with dovetailed, jointed sections that would reinforce the mast, all wrapped in bands of iron.

Built up above the standing mast would be the top mast, topgallent mast and topgallent royal. The upper sections are made lighter, because they need to carry less weight and so they can be taken down to reduce top weight at need.
>>
>>49771665
Oh damn. Well I hope you enjoy your short vacation and unemployment while you find something new.
>>
>>49771993
Already firing off resume's my man. Kinda blindsided by the whole ordeal, but nothing to do other than fire off the applications wherever they'll stick
>>
Someone help me out here.

If a guy has Basic Speed of 5.5, say, this gives him a Move of 5.

Aren't the fractions all just 'dead levels'?

Why not pick up ten free points by taking Basic Speed of 5?
It does not impact you negatively in any way.

Am I missing something?
>>
>>49772688
The .5 gives him inititiative over other gys with speed 5. And it's not unthinkable to gain the other .5 speed needed for move 6 later.
>>
>>49772688

Your Basic Speed acts as your initiative order in combat. You go before someone with BS 5.0 or 5.25
>>
>>49772688
>>49772743

Just this. The order you act in combat is by Basic Speed, so 5.5 moves before 5.25.

It also means if he wants to buy up Basic Speed to 6 he's able to with 10 points rather then 20.
>>
>>49772743
>>49772773
>>49772788

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps it's just the pricing rubs me the wrong way. In a less combat-oriented campaign, it seems an easy way to pick up a ton of points for minimal tradeoff.
>>
>>49772838
Buying down basic speed counts against your disadvantage limit.
>>
>>49772838
You can only drop it a modest amount in a realistic game and reducing Basic Speed under 5 is a very risky move if you ever get into a dangerous siutaton, as you won't be able to run and won't be able to dodge.

>>49772925
This too. There are typically 'safer' choices to fill out your Disadvantage limit.
>>
>>49769673
You could do blood vials as healing charms and spells as snap and use charms.
>>
Could someone give me an example of how Slam works on B371? I want to make sure I am doing it right when I play.
>>
>>49774895
Here's one from a game I was in..

Gray's a very large man, with HP 20 and lightly equipped he can move at Speed 9 while Sprinting.

He shifts his course so he will collide with an opponent, a HP 10 cultist.

When Gray's movement enters the square of the cultist he rolls DX, Brawling or Sumo Weaseling to hit. He could make this an All Out Attack. He takes no penalty for having moved and attacked this turn, unlike most attack rolls.

If Gray hits, and we go to the next step. The target can Block, Dodge or Parry, but it's very likely that Gray weighs more then 7 times the weight of the cultist weapon, so the parry would not only fail it would automatically break the weapon. (Basic, Page 376)

If the cultist fails to defend we go to the next step.

Slam damage.

In this case, Gray deals (20 x 9)/100=1.8 dice damage, while the cultist deals (10 x 9)/100=.9 dice damage. You round up past .5 dice, so Gray deals 2d slam damage, while the cultist deals 1d slam damage in return.

Let's say Gray rolls 7 damage, while the Cultist rolls 4. Before we reduce that damage from DR and apply it to HP we need to do another step.

Because Gray's damage was more then the Cultist, but lower then twice the Cultist, the cultist must roll DX or be knocked down. If Gray had done twice the Cultist damage the Cultist would be knocked down automatically.

If the Cultist had gotten lucky and rolled twice Gray's damage, Gray would be knocked down automatically.

Once we know who is falling and who is standing, damage is applied to DR, then any remaining damage is applied to the HP. By default, Slams strike the Torso, but there is no reason they can't hit other hit locations.

Gray's chainmail and tough skin DR provide DR 4 vs cr damage, so he takes no injury from the impact. The Cultist robes provide DR 1 vs cr damage, so he takes 6 damage and is knocked down.
>>
>>49775388
Do note that the rules get hilariously broken once you start working with Shield Slam rules and around Weapon Master and Sumo Wrestling damage bonuses.

Slamming at speed 1 with +7 damage over your opponent (DB3 Iron Shield, Spike) and you're likely to knocking over everything up to 500HP giants automatically.
>>
How do I price weird TLs? Lets say we have a pc with TL3+3 in a TL3 setting. Does he need high TL or no?
>>
File: 1362632446677.jpg (296KB, 1430x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1362632446677.jpg
296KB, 1430x1300px
>>49775761
If he buys high TL he gets TL 6 starting cash and can buy TL 3+3 items and his skills are treated as TL3+3

Otherwise, he gets TL 3 starting cash and can't buy any TL3+3 items, and can't start with any TL3+3 skills.
>>
>>49776051
So is TL+ just for flavor then? There's no mechanical benefit to being advanced in a few narrow fields vs just having a higher TL?
>>
>>49776164

You could give his higher TL a limitation like (Medical Only: -60%) or (Does not effect Wealth: -10%)

By base, yeah TL 1+1 is equal to TL 2.
>>
>>49776221
I like that idea. Thank you.
>>
Thoughts on Alternate GURPS rules from Pyramid articles? Which are worth using over the base rules? Which are shit?

In particular I'm wondering about the alternate grappling rules, are they any good?
>>
File: 200bothered.gif (2MB, 279x350px) Image search: [Google]
200bothered.gif
2MB, 279x350px
>>49776543
>Which are shit

You can get out.
>>
>>49776543
KYOS and separate Wil/Per are the only thin that interested me.
Card deck instead of dice might be interesting, but it very barebone compared to Malifaux/TTB for example. And without things to spice it up, it would be less engaging than dice.
There was some good stuff in anniversary pyramid, but I forgot what exactly.
>>
Okay guys, help me out here. I'm trying to figure an AI programmer, but the invention rules don't make any damn sense. Why on earth do I need a $250,000 lab with all the whizbangs and $1,000 in computer fairy dust every time I try to write software? I'm a fucking AI, why can't I use my own system and do it for free?
>>
>>49776543
I has been forever since I read the alternate grappling rules, but I remember falling in love it originally.

>>49777079
I'll have to check my books. If you don't get a satisfying answer by 404, ask again in the next thread and I'll post what I find.
>>
>>49777079
GURPS 101: make shit up.
>>
>>49777079
By the time you've bought a computer with the complexity to run a volitional AI those cost won't be more then a footnote.

Take them with the Combined Gaget rules to have them weigh a bit less.
>>
>>49777124
Appreciate it; if you can find something that's RAW-solid that I can throw at my GM I'll buy you a damn puppy.

>>49777152
That's my hope, GM is a pretty reasonable guy but we're still fairly new to the system so he might want to stick by the book for a while.

>>49777196
A volitional AI with IQ 12 can run on a TL10 mainframe no problemo, which is less than half the cost of the lab they want. And yet this Shodan-lookin'-ass thing isn't good enough to write up Excel.

Which brings up another question: in Basic, for Digital Mind, it says you inhabit a computer with complexity equal to at least half your IQ. Why'd they push it up for Ultra Tech?
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.