[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ho fa/tg/guys I was thinking of running a campaign based on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 4L_DqeuEaqh.jpg (55KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
4L_DqeuEaqh.jpg
55KB, 400x300px
Ho fa/tg/guys

I was thinking of running a campaign based on pic related because it was one of the greatest shows from my childhood. What system would be the best for it? I was thinking Exalted, but I also heard about legend of the Wulin and wanted to know more about it. Other systems appreciated too!
>>
>>49702072
DnD 4e would be a good fit.

Monks there are pretty crazy, and the Martials don't lag behind.

Make sure to follow the show and keep the Challenges and interesting location battles. 4e has a lot of abilities that move and shove people around, so make sure there are things to be shoved on/off of.
>>
I've heard that Exalted has an awful system?

There also might be a problem with some of the Shen Gung Wu, might be overpowered.
>>
File: 1435486269515.jpg (10KB, 236x216px) Image search: [Google]
1435486269515.jpg
10KB, 236x216px
>>49702072
>What system would be the best for it?
>>49702126
>DnD 4e would be a good fit.
Second. I'd use inherent bonuses, and then make a bunch of homebrew magical items with WEIRD powers that are less tread-mill-ey and more fun.
>>
>>49702130
Some of them are overpowered, some of them are underpowered, some of them are just weird. Since they're all tied to physical objects, it should be possible to keep the really overpowered ones out of the wrong hands to keep them from derailing plots... though it would be best to avoid plots that necessitate them in the first place.

There was a thing where the Shen Gong Wu could unlock alternative functions by combining them with each other or with the user's element. Is there a good way to do that?
>>
File: mirror.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
mirror.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
Do not, I repeat DO NOT include the Reversing Mirror in your game. The players WILL find a way to abuse it.
>>
>>49705134
Isn't that part of the point, coming up with creative ways to use them?
>>
>>49705547
Sure, but altering the properties of things easily opens up potential for world shattering results pretty easily, especially if it's a full 180.
Think about it, what would happen if you reversed;
>The golden tiger claws?
>The heart of Jong?
>the moby morpher?
>the rio reverso?
>the kuzusu atom?
>>
>>49705134
Whatever you do DO use Jack Spicer as a character basis for a villain.
>>
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd prefer not using the 4th edition though, we want to try new systems.

As for the abuse of the items, since you can only use one at a time in a Xiaolin Showdown I think there could be a way to avoid abusing it, since it can be any kind of challenge.
>>
>>49705965
What systems do you know/like/are interested in?
>>
>>49705965
There isn't a strict limit on one item. Maybe in a showdown, but you can always declare that dare thing and then bring 2, and if you have a ridiculous enough combo it could be very broken. Not to mention all the scenarios outside of that where you can experiment all day.
>>
>>49706095
I was interested in Legends of the Wulin because I've never played it. The systems I'm familiar with are D&D (all editions), OWoD and NWoD, Sine Requie, Runequest II, Nameless Land and Exalted
>>49706102
I was thinking of putting a limit of one Sheng Gong Wu in a Xiaolin Showdown, so that the ones with weird effects will surely be preferred over the clearly overpowered ones.
>>
>>49705711
>golden tiger claws
Creates an impenetrable barrier right where you slash and on a desired destination
Just like you shouldn't allow it to open a portal inside a living being to rip his heart out (Mala mala Jong non withstanding) you shouldn't allow this to create said barrier inside anyone.
>the moby morpher
Changes you into the opposite of what you asked. Depends heavily on the GM what that means.
>The heart of Jong
Turns the user into an inanimated stone statue of themselves until the heart is used again on them
>rio reverso
"Ages" an object to the moment it would have broken in the future.
>kuzusu atom
If the beam makes contact with the target, vaporizes the user instead

Heck, half the fun of this setting is imagining the awesome interactions between the Wus and being prepared to lose them very easily. Any other problematic ones you can rememeber? Coming up with interactions is fun

>>49705965
Make their enemies learn and counter any crazy combinations your player come up with
Give great rewards to your players for coming up in the moment with combinations that make sense and save the day
Start punishing player who rely on said combination way too much without mixing things up (Like having their master tear them a new one for relying too much on a single combination or Wu, on not enough in their skills)
Make villian characters that are savvy enough to prepare for OP combos, just like in the show

In other words
>Reward creativity and punish repetition (Your PC came up with an OP combination? Sweet, have a villian steal it from them if they overuse it)
>Don't be afraid taking away their resources (Villian stole a particular Wu while they were away fighting, but only if it makes sense that was the plan all along. They should be dealing with pretty smart villians, after all)
>Put them in situations where they have to think their way through (I need this OP Wu, but i only have this one.)
>>
>>49702130
>I've heard that Exalted has an awful system?

Not anymore it doesn't! 3rd Edition's system might seem a bit overbearing at times but it works like a charm in actual play, placing it miles ahead from Ex2's "Broken to Bits even with just the corebook" system.
>>
>>49706219
>>Reward creativity and punish repetition (Your PC came up with an OP combination? Sweet, have a villian steal it from them if they overuse it)
Also, the villain could come up with his own combinations based on what he's seen of theirs, using the same principles or something. Or maybe using Shen Gong Wu that have an effect on said combination (e.g. Reversing Mirror).
>>
I love where this is going, thank you all so much!

For the system, as I said the 4th might not quite cut it. Is there a game that inherently feels oriental?
>>
Legends of the Wulin is an amazing system, but it has its flaws.

First and foremost, the core book has a godawful editing job and layout. It makes actually learning the system or checking up on rules significantly harder than it should be and just generally raises the barrier to entry for no good reason.

The second thing I'll mention isn't so much a downside as something to keep in mind. LotW occupies a very peculiar niche that I've not seen very many other RPG's explore, of combining the level of crunch you'd usually see in a more granular, realistic game with the focus on narrative, theme and tone that you'd usually find is a rules light indie game.

The combination is why I love the system though, blending deep, enjoyable combat mechanics with rules that ensure every fight is a clash of ideals and personalities as much as it is a battle of blades and fists.

The book also has extensive sections on Chinese culture, mysticism and tradition, which adds a lot of flavour to the game, especially when it comes to Secret Arts. Secret Arts are... They're fucking weird, but they're awesome, giving most characters unique ways to interact with the game.
>>
>Exalted
of course it's also totally barren. unless it's a solar you're sol. can't even stat up a proper dragonblood antagonist because the corebook exists to force you to buy a dozen others....which come out once every 20 years or some shit

also the developers are autistic shitposters
>>
>>49702072
FATE
>>
>>49707034
Disregard that, Exalted sucks cocks.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.