[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the Guard dying out?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: Old Imperial Guard.jpg (40KB, 640x511px) Image search: [Google]
Old Imperial Guard.jpg
40KB, 640x511px
So a friend of mine was telling me the other day that the Imperial Guard are getting muscled out because they're completely useless. I love the Guard. My favourite faction and the only one I have any interest in collecting. Is this true? Can every other army naturally wipe the floor with armour and tarpits? Can't find anything on the Google about it. Not even one whiny fanboy. So I assume my friend is just making fun of my faction of choice but am I right or is he?
>>
>>49697404

As long as there are imperial planets, there will be an imperial guard.
>>
>>49697404
Guard, as always, will be a relatively well balanced middle-tier faction on the TT, with their ups and downs of course.

Fluffwise they're currently the most powerful force in the galaxy and if everyone wasn't pressuring them/their commanders at the same time they'd have a nice time of exterminating some of the other, smaller factions.
>>
>>49697404
My local area has a ton of retired military guys that all play guard.
>>
I should mention, I'm talking crunch here. Fluff is where the Guard shine.
>>
>>49697404
Dont know how your friend knows that but IG got out of production next March
>>
>>49697503
*go
>>
Really? How do you know?
>>
>>49697404
They're middle tier currently, but they're not being discontinued nor removed from the game.
>>
>>49697480
Well your friend is retarded. IG has blobs, tanks, flyers, templates, and tons of plasma. These things will never be useless and IG can always be an effective fighting force. They might not be the best army but they are always at least mid tier.
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 800x440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 800x440px
>>49697404
They jump up and down with every codex release. At one point they were OP. No, you don't have to worry about anything worse than occasionally being mid-tier for a few years.

Also, those old models in OP's image must be where the Tempestus Scions came from. GW's really been digging into their past lately!
>>
>>49699674
They're grenadiers (mostly) wearing carapace armor. So, yeah, that's where the look of carapace armor comes from.
>>
>>49699674
What an awesome Epic pic you've got there, Anon! ;)
>>
GW can't afford to squat any more factions
>>
Plus guard is a pretty popular faction. It's probably one of the most popular on /tg/ at least
>>
>>49697404
With the new genestealer codex there might be a short lived upswing in the number of guard models being sold with might led to them getting some more love from Gw in the future.
>>
>>49697404
GW isn't gonna drop the IG, a big part of of top scene is still Your Dad and his World War II recreation amy set. I'm not going to turn their back's and that part of the market yet.
>>
>>49697435
Yeah. But they can squat the army without removing them from the lore.
>>
>>49697404
Your friend is a cockhead, I get wiped by guard armies all the time. Well I also suck sooooo.....
>>
>>49700335

Why squatting armies would lower production costs and allow them to produce more of the other factions.

That being said IG is one of their bigger sellers so squatting that particular faction would probably be a bad idea.

Sisters or Dark Eldar on the other hand don't have nearly the fanbase.
>>
>>49697404
IG are fine in the crunch. Maybe not top tier competitive, but they aren't lacking in anything, even more so with their new Genestealer allies.

If anything, Imperial Guard are getting muscled out because they already have everything they need. What new kit could you add to IG that would move models?

Despite its age, the 2002 Cadian kit sells well and the new-ish Scion kit is one of the better selling kits across the 40k catalog.
>>
>>49697404
Yes.

I work at GW, I can confirm that we're dropping Astra Militarum in 8th edition.

The name change really was the last roll of the dice. Although we got overwhelmingly positive feedback regarding the name change, sales continued to drop.

The design studio also has severe trouble finding inspiration for new sculpts. There's always the option of an anime session when theyre working on tau, some of the guys love spacewolves so much they've got cartoons of girls with tails and ears. But nobody knows where to get inspiration for AM from, theres really nothing.

8th ed is going to be a hard reset for the setting. Astra Militarum are going to get retconned to having been removed after the Horus Heresey. You might still be able to use them for 30k, but the game that replaces 40k is going to be far more focused on more popular factions; the starter set will be Space Wolves (Renamed to Astral Lupines) versus the Tau Astralamic Clongamoration.

Sell your Guard stuff now.
>>
>>49701554
We could get a new basilisk/medusa kit I guess, you always need more artillery.

If one could wish I would like some new plastic Wyrdvane psykers instead of the 3 metal once we have today or even some new Rough Riders!

One thing that perhaps would intressed people to buy new guard models would be to do some plastic Valhallans/Steel Legion/Vostroyans/Tallarn/other.
>>
File: chim.jpg (22KB, 564x339px) Image search: [Google]
chim.jpg
22KB, 564x339px
>>49701704
>>
>>49701792
I guess you'll be able to run counts as Space Marines.

But keep in mind that the new razorback sculpt is going to include options for grav cannons.
>>
>>49701873
Is this true, say it´s not!
There is so much grav already, do they really need to give the razorback grav weapons as well?!
>>
>>49701704
>overwhelmingly positive feedback regarding the name change

Recursive irony detected.
>>
The problem with the Imperial Guard is they look fucking boring. Cadians are the blandest army in 40k appearance-wise. If they had a more colourful regiment as the 'standard' Guard army they'd do a lot better.
>>
>>49701935
The only clue betraying an absolutely flawless ruse.

>>49701904
Joking asside, who really doubts that there's going to be alot of grav in the future?
>>
>>49701704
>The design studio also has severe trouble finding inspiration for new sculpts.

heh...you almost had me for a sec.
>>
>>49701554
>What new kit could you add to IG that would move models?

Add some focus to the different flavors of guardsmen. I know there are metal Tallarn and Steel Legion, and FW has Elysians and Death Korps.
Maybe making some of them a little more accessible?
>>
>>49703602
It'd be a huge start up cost. The Steel Legion, Tallarn, and Vostroyan, are all baller as fuck it's true, the Vostroyans and their coats especially, but even if they skipped the vehicles they'd need to make 2-3 kits for each.

If what the numbers I was told about how much the CAD, marketing materials, master molds, and production molding costs, it's like a 300,000 to 500,000 dollar or so initial cost for each kit
>>
>>49697503
>>49697404
>>49701303
>>49701356
>>49701704

Considering half the models used by Genestealer cults are guard models, i find it hard to believe GW is going to discontinue the Guard models anytime soon.
>>
>>49701956
>Cadians are the blandest army in 40k
I used to feel that but my cadians have grown on me. I've actually come to find most of the others Regiments (Catachan, Valhallan, etc) to be a bit bland, since the other regiments tend too specialize in only one or two things. Cadians however can do literally everything (tanks regiemnts, stormtroopers, infantry hordes, mechanized, veteran formations) in the fluff
>>
>>49701554
I wouldn't mind a veteran upgrade sprue, with some kind of armor upgrade to give guardsmen carapace armor and more special weapons.
>>
>>49703947
That's why I said 'appearance-wise'. Cadian fluff is fine, they just have the most boring design of anything in the setting. Utilitarian to the point of dull.

If you gave them even a bit of bling, like the IG in the OP, they'd be a lot more visually appealing.
>>
File: he cadians.jpg (46KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
he cadians.jpg
46KB, 600x620px
>>49704023
The Hostile environment cadians FW sells help with the bland
>>
>>49704060
just bought some of these guys 10/10
>>
>>49697404
I'm so flabbergasted at they made plastic heads to mod cadians into gene stealer cults but never bothered with making other regiments plastic.

The gas mask cadians from forge world could easily be made in plastic and sold in store and to knock out two regiments at once make great coat guardsmen and just have valhallan and steel legion heads.

Make dress uniform bodies and have either oretorian or mordian heads.

Or hell, just update the base catachan models so they don't look so out of place with the newly modeled command unit.
>>
>>49701704
Funny in my group you call guard gaurd and storm troopers, syorm troopers, if you use tempestus scions, you are told to get out.
>>
>>49701712
Would be nice to have plastic centaur kit and have fluff retconned a bit that salamander scout/command vehicles and Griffin mortar carriers are built off of that chasis instead of the chimera.
>>
Gaurds not getting squatted they are just never getting updated again and being looted by cults cahos and orks and SM To follow legions. The army is frozen the problem is there is lots of varients but nuthing speaking really past mil sim gene cult gaurd or renegade chaos cultist gaurd or work looted waggon being WYSIWYG a Russ or shadowswords or shit being SM sells more I'd expect a bassy kit for iron warriors and renegades and more looted. N insalved stuff works will get all the gaurd vechiles now just you wait gene is the start of the fall of the guard I got astra mil in hardback knowing they won't do another if the gaurd was staying cadia would be physical book
>>
>>49701712
Oh I love rough riders. While they have been getting better the past two codexes, it would be nice to have rough riders have the ability to carry a las piatol and a sword close combat weapon for an extra attack or carry dual las pistol to be like fantasy empire pistoliers if not using their hunting lance.

Having the options for "dragoons" would be nice, either make up rules fir a las carbine rifle or just give em shotguns so they can ride their horses around and take pot shots at the enemy.
>>
>>49701956

They tried that with the Voystroyans and fucked up by not making them plastic.

Also Vostroyans ate a little too crazy looking.

Maybe they should bring back the clasic rogue trader designed helmets and breastplates and call the the Necromunda regiment or something.
>>
>>49701712
I have 18 of those dumb metal psykers. About to be 21.
>>
>>49703602
Honestly, I'd love to just have the main six regiments in plastic so they are easier to kit bash.

1) Cadians

2) Catachans

3) Valhallans

4) Tallaran

5) Mordians

6) Steel Legion.
>>
>>49704170
Would using the phrase "Tempestus Scions" for the new models only be considered acceptable?
>>
>>49704295
First I'd like some tanith in there
and maybe some plastic kreigers
Only then would I be happy
>>
IG getting little support recently is just another result of GW being mindbroken by their lawsuit problems.

"Sci fi human soldier" is too general a concept and it's easy for 3rd party manufacturers to make stuff for. See for example: Victoria's various guard flavours, Dreamforge's Eisenkern and Anvil's regiments.
>>
File: what was the point.png (289KB, 625x416px) Image search: [Google]
what was the point.png
289KB, 625x416px
>>49704329
>Would using the phrase "Tempestus Scions" for the new models only be considered acceptable?
Would anyone actually say that ever.
Or astra miliafuckfakelatin.
Too many syllables, needlessly complicated way of saying:
Storm Sons and Space military.
The former i would actually say, because it's metal. But Gwdubs needs peusdo latin.
>>
>>49704329
No, it's dumb. They are Storm Troopers.

Same with the guard being guard.

Why didn't they name tge Imperial Knights some three fake latin word for armoref horsemen of empires?
>>
Well, they made vehichles suck all of a sudden with everything being AP-2 or haywire so what did they expect? You can have a ton of vehicles that are now being knocked out by infantry and infantry that was always week. You tried to give them flyers and they had an advantage for 5 minutes until you gave everyone the ability to nix that too. They have no single thing they are best at anymore.
>>
>>49704170
What do they do when you just mangle the English language?
>>
>>49697404
Your friend has not seen Orks, Tyranids, Chaos Marines, or Deldar in action. Outside of maximum cheese, they struggle even harder than guard, and even sometimes with it.
>>
>>49705277
Are Tyranids and Chaos Marines that bad?
I thought the new Chaos Codex they just got looked rather good with some nice formations and stuff, allie some demons and you're good to go.

As for Tyranids they did just get the genstealer cult codex, that might help them a bit?
>>
>>49697503
[citation needed]

>>49701704
>I work at GW
No you don't.
>>
>>49706796
Chaos Marines suffer from mediocre and decent units being more expensive than they should be and an overpopulated fast attack section. Heldrakes, bikers, and spawn all compete for spots.
They new Crusade formation helps, since 2-4 heldrakes can be taken as auxiliary, but it also requires at least one unit of chosen or possessed, which are both overpriced, and a unit of havocs or a helbrute.

In my opinion, it's not a bad army, it just has no really cheesy options besides heldrake spam.
>>
File: kekd_heavily.png (167KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
kekd_heavily.png
167KB, 256x384px
>>49701704
>the starter set will be Space Wolves (Renamed to Astral Lupines) versus the Tau Astralamic Clongamoration.
>>
>>49701495
Except with the creation of Genestealer Cults, 2 Admech armies, and deathwatch, GW is very clearly going for more smaller armies to get people to buy a second more niche force. Which means that now is the most likely time to revive factions.
>>
>>49704109
Seconded, use them as AM allied detatchment for my Krieg.

So I can Wyvern and Plasmavet.

10/10 look twice as cool as normal guard.
>>
>>49704225
Pretty sure they get a laspistol and CCW by default, the hunting lance is just better.
>>
>>49709922
>(Renamed to Astral Lupines)

That actual sounds pretty badass.
>>
>>49710051
Try googling for images of "lupines", and you'll see why it actually does not.
>>
>>49710138
Ah, I presumed pseudo-latin.

Still not the worst they've done.
>>
>>49697503
IG have been out of production for ages. It's all about the Astra Militarum now.
>>
>>49703795
You only need one kit. It just has to have the pieces for heavy/special weapon troops and bits to make officers/medics/standard bearers.

You can even get away with giving the regiment just its fluff favorite heavy weapon and selling the heavy weapon sprue online.
>>
Guard is just for people who want to play historical wargames but can't find a group
>>
>>49703795
I think you have an extra zero in there, but it's still too expensive to be worth it.
>>
>>49701704
sounds_legit.png
>>
>>49697404
your friend must have some butthurt issue with guard
>>
>>49701554
>What new kit could you add to IG that would move models?

Go back to old days when Guard had a more uniform look with planetary variations. Make old Cadian look with fatigues, shoulder pads, helmet and a lasgun the stock trooper. Then make regimental variations through upgrade sprues. Cadian sprue could come with armoured torsos and Kantrael lasguns. Mordians with peaked caps and epaulets instead of shoulder pads (make pads separate like on vehicle crews). Tallarn with towel heads. Valhallans with heads and long coat legs. Steel Legion would be bit of a problem since they'd need new heads, lasguns and legs, though with a bit of a compromise, you could probably go with the standard jackets.

Of course Catachans would be a problem, since they're a break from the norm. Of course they could keep them and make upgrade sprue for their set as well, like 1st and Only, etc.

Such kits would also make it easy for FW to make 30k Army conversions.
>>
>>49711467
making a bunch of upgrade sprues for different sub-factions in general for different factions is a pretty good idea and hasn't really been put into action much. I mean they have the semi-recent blood angels/um/dark angels upgrades, but that's basically it. I'd love different upgrade for guard regiments, more chapters, different craftworlds.
>>
>>49703795
>the injection molds cost hundreds of thousands of dollars meme
Stop this
It doesn't cost anywhere near that at all.
>>
If anything GW will drop the rest of the IG regiments and leave forgeworld to handle those
>>
>>49711467
Separating the coats between the legs/bodies will result in near monopose models. Bodies with coats hanging off them is the way to go.
>>
File: image.jpg (139KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 500x500px
>>49701704
SUFFER THE WRATH OF FENRIS!
>>
This is a forced meme.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.