[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What style is this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 262
Thread images: 40

File: Alien chair and computer console.jpg (211KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Alien chair and computer console.jpg
211KB, 1920x1080px
What sort of world/style would you consider something like Alien? Really blocky and industrial but very advanced futuristic technology?

Is it Cyberpunk? Or more like Electropunk? Is Electropunk even a thing?
>>
>>49693214
It's 80's scifi you numpty.
>>
>>49693222
THIS
It's like pretending to call 90s sci-fi "exposed-wires-and-plane-switchers-punk"
Punk is dead, stop calling shit "-punk"
>>
>>49693222
>>49693371

That's not really a good descriptor though. That could apply to a lot of things, and a lot of 80s sci-fi doesn't have the same asthetic.

I'm looking for similar material or any games/systems that may use something similar. Any takers?
>>
>>49693388
Sci-fi
Dirtier than Star Trek sci-fi
Industrial sci-fi
Non over the top sci-fi
Are those good enough for you?
>>
>>49693214
It's the dystopian retro future.

Dystopian because the company rules with greed and cruelty, and everyone is complicit.

Retro because the vision is clearly dated by the late 70s/early 80s aesthetics and social concepts.

Future because spaceships.

The production design of Alien was inspired by ancient Egyptian patterns. It layers decadence and affluence with grime and defeatism, throws in some blinkenlights, and everything is lit 3 ways: soft white, stark dark, and flashing.
>>
>>49693453
>The production design of Alien was inspired by ancient Egyptian patterns. It layers decadence and affluence with grime and defeatism, throws in some blinkenlights, and everything is lit 3 ways: soft white, stark dark, and flashing.

When did ancient Egyptians build hexagonal hallways with blinking lights? The fuck does that even meme.
>>
>>49693497
I have no idea what the fuck >>49693453
is saying. There is no Egyptian influence in Alien, definately no decadence involved. It's a movie about space janitors, it visually deconstructs the idea that space travel is super fancy and that the future will be filled with hope instead of just taking our current industrial design and just putting it inside a big metal block that can travel through space.
>>
>>49693590
...And then he realized that half of the Nostromo was actual industrial design repurposed as a space ship set.
>>
>>49693638

Nothing wrong with that. That's what I'm after.
>>
>>49693590
>There is no Egyptian influence in Alien
>>
>>49693214
Slightly unrelated, but I've always found funny how in Star Wars, despite all their supercomputers, robots and spaceships, they are actually LESS advanced than us in some areas. Their computers are blocky, the very concept of a datapad is ridiculous, and let's not even talk about the Death Star plans being a singular, physical object that could not be copied or uploaded to the internet.
>>
>>49693214
retro sci-fi
der
>>
>>49693773
Because Star Wars is the copy of a samurai movie with fantasy and set in the space. Directed by a hack.
>>
>>49693761
>knows what's up
>>49693590
>>49693497
>don't
>>
>>49693851
where are the hieroglyphic designs in Alien?
or pyramids?
Or literally any egyptian aesthetics?

I fail to see how Alien was inspired by Egyptian motiffs when the only reference to Egypt is the sun scarab logo which is probably more related to the transformation and literal eating your way out of you food from birth that happens with the beetles.

The only relation I can see is the vague Egyptian designs in Giger's original Alien concept art, but to say that the movie was "inspired" by it is a fucking stretch
>>
>>49693851

I repeat, when did ancient Egyptians build hexagonal hallways and blinking lights in dark shadowy rooms with sterile corporate designs?
>>
>>49693214
Retrofuture. The settings where the ideas were there, but the props of the time only reflected "Now but bigger".
>>
File: nostromo-medical.jpg (79KB, 1024x486px)
nostromo-medical.jpg
79KB, 1024x486px
>>49693910
The whole layout of the Nostromo's upper deck

The wall upholstery

The shapes used for everything, the obtuse angles everywhere, the lack of contrast

The grandeur and scale of everything

Egyptian doesn't mean scarabs and hieroglyphs. Stargate tried that and it looked shitty. But their room geometry was a lot like the Nostromo on the Goa'uld ships.
>>
File: aa.jpg (60KB, 1280x718px)
aa.jpg
60KB, 1280x718px
>>49693994
>Pharaohs never built space ships
>>
>>49694008

How are shapes, layout and 'grandeur' in any way specifically ancient Egyptian?

They could apply to any 'palace' style infrastructure. It's more industrial brutalism then anything, which is what other people have been mentioning and citing more then egyptian.

While nobody is arguing that the original Waylan-Yutani logo is super fucking Egyptian that doesn't necessarily mean 'the whole design is about Egyptian themes and decadence' when there is almost the exact opposite in the movie. The movie/visual design is very gritty and meant to be function-over-form design to everything. It's the opposite of decadent.
>>
>>49694069

WE
>>
>>49694085
Hey, you can listen to the people who made it, to the people who still comment on it professionally after over 30 years, to the consensus of YT reviewers, or you can make up your own mind. I really don't care.

However I'm not here to spoon feed you set design. You have too work long hours for a pittance at an actual set as an assistant to an AD, PD, or maybe set dresser to get that.
>>
>>49694115
WERE
>>
>>49693214
What, you're simply incapable of thinking of any way to describe it without appending "punk"?

>>49693453
>It layers decadence and affluence
What? How fucking stoned where you when you watched the movies? The Nostromo is an old, worn down blue collar workplace.
>>
>>49694148
>What, you're simply incapable of thinking of any way to describe it without appending "punk"?

No, but that is the easy, short, and widely recognized way of established your setting's basic mechanics.

Cyberpunk? Flying cars, cyborg implants, neon everywhere, corruption and corporations.

Steampunk? Victorian dress and hats, air ships, steam engines and cogs.

So then this would be Electropunk- Unappealing sharp industrial equipment, mysterious purpose and design of machines and interfaces, bulky and complex, old school electronics.
>>
File: Sid-Vicious1.jpg (316KB, 1024x796px)
Sid-Vicious1.jpg
316KB, 1024x796px
>>49694207
Please look up Punk on Wikipedia.
>>
File: Retard.jpg (49KB, 479x348px)
Retard.jpg
49KB, 479x348px
>>49694237

>Things can only have one meaning!
>>
>>49694207
>No, but that is the easy, short, and widely recognized way of established your setting's basic mechanics.
It is the meme retarded way of establishing your shitty deviantart portfolio
>>
The irrepressible spirit of the Egypt guy and the OP admidst the relentless oppression of the anonymous posters in this hitech online discussion forum is rather infopunk.
>>
>>49694256
It doesn't mean this though.

It's not easy, short and widely recognised except in specific circumstances. Cyberpunk and steampunk are well established. You can't just add random words to -punk and expect it to make sense.

What you call "electropunk" is part of the same design philosophies that gave us the original cyberpunk look in the 80s. Just look at Blade Runner.
>>
>>49694207
>Cyberpunk? Flying cars, cyborg implants, neon everywhere, corruption and corporations.
Good to know that Neuromancer, the rest of the sprawl trilogy and other Gibson novels, GitS nor Alita aren't cyberpunk.

I was living a lie, but now thanks to you, retarded *punk, I can see.
>>
>>49693453
Retro future is 1950s era sci fi (no computers as we know it).

Alien and the Thing are just 80s aesthetics which don't have a name
>>
>>49694121
>Hey, you can listen to the people who made it, to the people who still comment on it professionally after over 30 years, to the consensus of YT reviewers, or you can make up your own mind
Not him. But I've followed Alien for the first 20 years (more or less until resurrection) and nobody said that. Not the people who made it nor the "pros", you guess your faggotry comes straight from YT reviewers.
>>
>>49693842
And made in the 70s
>>
>>49694207
That you completely missed the point of both cyberpunk and steampunk illustrates quite well how stupid your approach to "punk" is.
>>
>>49694420
Tell the French who call their Cold War politics retro, referencing Charles de Gaulle.
>>
>>49694458
I mean there is a specific genre term that is retro future and it's the greatest generation World of Tomorrow version of sci-fi
>>
File: crystal5.jpg (38KB, 696x480px)
crystal5.jpg
38KB, 696x480px
>not using sleestak stone and plexiglass crystal tech as the basis for your technology
Even Superman does it.
>>
>>49694121
So instead of an actual argument you'll toss up a vague appeal to authority followed by "I just know this shit and you don't".

Yeah, you got nothing.
>>
>>49694466
I am familiar, but Retro is a set term that has been around before and refers to backdating your designs. If my scifi made in the 2010s looks like the 1990s, that's retro, and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
File: my man.gif (3MB, 459x409px)
my man.gif
3MB, 459x409px
>>49694340
underrated post
>>
>>49694448
Hey, isn't a genre's fault that that guy is retarded. Cyberpunk used to have the -punk part.

Anyone who uses whatever-punk, specially when they try to mix anything with a shallow and retarded aesthetic, should be shot IMO.
>>
>>49694476
Oh, it is "retro" it's just not "retro future"

I like the idea of Cold War Futurism
>>
>>49694420
Retro-futuristic is anything that is both retro and futuristic. You usually have to specify what's retro about it.

80s sci-fi aesthetics are called 80s sci-fi aesthetic and if you do it now it's 80s retrofuturism.
>>
>>49694448
No, that pretty much covers steampunk.
>>
>>49694538
I'd rather call your genre 50s retro scifi. Because both retro and scifi/future are descriptive and by themselves valid in many contexts, not just a literary fashion. By monopolizing the term you give the genre too much relevance.
>>
>>49694554
>steampunk
>no punk
>barely any steam
They should've called it "retard-gear", since is a bunch of retards gearing (in cosplay) retarded gears.
>>
>>49694340
I think we need a new, very specific genre to describe their struggle. I suggest chanpunk.
>>
>>49694577
I thought we had agreed on cogfoppery.
>>
>>49694237
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=punk
>>
>>49694340
>infopunk
That's cyberpunk.
>>
>>49694631
>That's cyberpunk
That's the joke.
>>
>>49694610
A clear line of meaning from inferior over criminal all the way to counter culture. No connection to flavoring stories with computers or gears.

The -punk suffix indicates a revolutionary tension directed against the powers that be. It does not indicate a specific technology or aesthetics.

To make Alien 'punk' the Nostromo would have to rebel against company authority not out of survival instinct, but out of obligation to personal freedom. It would need an English working class background, not an American corporate culture where everyone is an opportunist.

Guy Fawkes is punk, anonymous is not.
>>
>>49694642
Guess I got punked
>>
>>49694694
Through an information network. Maybe we need a name for that.
>>
>>49694610
>mixing etymology and meaning
You got no education, punk.
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 536x536px)
image.jpg
59KB, 536x536px
>>49693214
>>49694207

Im going to start calling any setting that isnt fantasy "fedorapunk"
>>
>>49693453
That was some beautiful bullshitting.

I would say it's ostentatious post-modern minimalism. To wit, the surfaces themselves are clean and simple with single function, and excessive dead space taken up by the casing to emphasize it's presence and that it is a waste of space.

Unlike classic minimalist decor which is as streamlined and non-intrusive as possible allowing you to forget about the room completely, effectively making the amount of actual space you have irrelevant.

The cluttering says many things to people. "I'm busy, look at all these things I have here now." Also "There is only space for things with purpose here. If you aren't here for a purpose, leave." As you will note the lack of decorative anything, or extra seats or even comforts such as extra cushions or a garbage. There should be nothing in the room that needs to be thrown out, and definitely nothing that sits there useless.

A layer down, however, and it says another thing. The intentional waste of space by oversized casing and structures, as opposed to using a smaller room, implies that you want people to feel harassed by the room unless they are focused on something specific.

A fun and easy way to recreate this feeling at home is to purchase or paint a picture with large, prominent eyes. Ideally several, but one big one will do. The eyes must be in the foreground and the focus of the picture. Hung where it can always be seen, people will work harder. And feel irritable and anxious.
>>
File: cyber.png (426KB, 599x429px)
cyber.png
426KB, 599x429px
I love how /tg/ is triggered by the suffix punk.
But I have to admit it seems mighty silly in the face of the utter nonsensical nature of today's use of the term cyber.

Politicians throw it around boisterously to indicate anything a hacker might do. Never you mind the term hacker is equally poorly defined. But then we'd have to define words like terrorist or war as well and by then we'd receive academic laurels and who wants that kind of trouble.

In fiction it has been abused to describe a vast range of things like society adapting to technological conditions, man machine hybrids, AI, any networked computer, or anything with a case that features an LED really.

In actual science it describes managing complex processes with data. It's applied math. Google's MapReduce is cyber.

Virtually anyone who uses the term cyber is declaring their own helplessness in understanding what they're even talking about.
>>
>>49694692
>To make Alien 'punk' the Nostromo would have to rebel against company authority not out of survival instinct, but out of obligation to personal freedom. It would need an English working class background, not an American corporate culture where everyone is an opportunist.
Oh please. I hate these overly narrow "-punk" definitions almost as much as the overly broad ones. Alien is working-class and anti-corporate.

Where's the English working class background in cyberpunk, anyway? It's a very American genre. Or Japanese. Whatever. Not English.
>>
>>49694207
>>49694692
Steampunk definitely had that.

But I feel a key component missing is that Punk isn't just opposition to the ruling class. It's lashing out at socio-economic inequality, which requires two things. First, a break down in the class system so that class transition is possible. This requires a middle class to be created of skilled workers.

Second there has to be a labour glut. Progress is a key element, as people are put out of work by machines. Everyone thinks GiTS is so revolutionary because it has machines replacing men. Well guess what, unskilled or manual laborers have been having that happen since the cotton ginny. It's just freaky to the middle class because they're the ones at risk of obsolescence now.

This creates the -punk situation where Jack is supposed to be as good as his master, but is getting shafted in the name of Nationalism and Progress.

The System has to have its own identity as an organization and an ideal. Otherwise you're just fighting against a dude. Or a separate ruling class. I'm not saying saying that isn't happening too, but there has to be an actual system to fight against.
>>
>>49694963
Labor glut resulting in skyrocketing unemployment.

Punk died with the tech bubble.
>>
>>49694990
I'd even say that you need a system that is omnipresent and so affluent that even the resistance against it is at no risk of starvation or hardship other than social repression.
>>
>>49694748
>thinking the etymology of punk isn't relevant to *punk
>>
>>49694259
>it's an "anon gets triggered by the widely-understood use of the -punk descriptor" thread
>>
>>49695096
Said nobody. And we are talking about the 1970 onward meaning, so etymology isn't relevant to this discussion, punk.
>>
>>49694738
world wide webpunk
>>
>>49695284
I'm not triggered. I'm just trying to avoid that in the future, you remember your less wise present and cringe at the time you invented "electro-punk".
>>
>>49694138
ALIENS
>>
>>49695498
>you

Sorry anon, you're on the losing side of history here. The majority of people acknowledge and comprehend the utility of the - punk suffix. I understand why you're digging in your heels; it's the natural human reaction to realizing you're in the minority.
>>
>>49693388
I like to call it 80s retro-futurism. But the definition doesn't really matter.

I feel like there are a lot more movies with this aesthetic, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. 2001?
>>
>>49693388
>That's not really a good descriptor though
Neither is tacking on "-punk" or something similar to the end of a word, generally.
>>
>>49695598
>2001
>80s
Try 1968.
That was pure hard SF tech, well researched and prophetic.
>>
>>49695670
Kubrick was the absolute madman.
>>
>>49693388
I think the descriptor you're looking for is "like Alien"
>>
>>49693214

Used future,
retro future
cathode-ray punk?
>>
>>49693842

He's not a hack. Or wasn't. He's responsible for a lot of great stuff, it's just that the success of Star Wars and Empire his ego ate his brain. Pretty much everyone worth a damn in Hollywood had a say in filming of A New Hope, too, unlike the prequels which was just George and a 2 month old first draft.

And while George nicked heaps of ideas to make the movie, the aesthetic was carefully thought it and planned from the ground up. 'No paper' etc
>>
>>49695734
>cathode-ray punk?
YOU!
YEAH YOU.

OUT!
>>
>>49695734
"Used Future" works well, and describes the aesthetic of the original Star Wars, as well as more modern movies like Moon.

Basically, any sci-fi setting where maids and cleaner droids don't exist and machinery just keeps getting dirtier from use.
>>
The general term for science fiction viewed though the aesthetics and technology of the past is "retrofuturism", although that covers everything from steampunk to Star Trek to cyberpunk. So I'd specify at least a decade.

"Used future" is the specific term for the Alien/s clunky, dirty utilitarian aesthetic.

So, like, "80's chunky analog used-retrofuture."

Trying to boil a style down to a one-word foopunk is never very descriptive, and honestly kind of gets on my nerves.
>>
>>49695746
>Pretty much everyone worth a damn in Hollywood had a say in filming of A New Hope, too, unlike the prequels which was just George and a 2 month old first draft.
This was the problem, really. Lucas was used to working with other people, bouncing ideas off of them, collaborating to make something great. But by the time of the prequels, he was this established figure, and whenever he pitched any idea, no matter how half-baked or silly, everyone just nodded their heads and went with it.
>>
>>49693214
>>49693728
DOSPunk
>>
>>49695670
If I was absolutely forced to use a *-punk descriptor, I'd say "analogpunk", maybe, because that's the defining feature of the technology as opposed to the modern era, without pinning it to the other details of a specific era (DOS being a specific artifact of the 90s) or being reminiscent of too far back in the past. (Electropunk honestly sounds more like what you'd call a modern take on Jules Verne).

But thank God I'm not forced to do that, because that's kind of dumb and I'd rather not try to boil everything down to single words and a standard suffix.
>>
>>49694237

Steampunk has nothing to do with punk culture and never did. The name was originally just a tongue in cheek riff on cyberpunk - but it stuck because the English language likes grouping things together with suffixes.

-punk in this context means 'speculative genre fiction in a contrived setting'
>>
>>49695901
So it has lost all meaning and now can be used to describe whatever.

That's so punk!
>>
>>49695926

Which is why I like punkpunk, where everything is powered by counter culture people being salty
>>
>>49695952
Wouldn't that be memepunk?
>>
>>49693214
I've seen it called Formica-punk once.
>>
>>49694207
I think Alien is just cyberpunk in space.
>>
>>49695926
No, now it has two meanings as commonly understood - as a countercultural movement, and as a suffix indicating a speculative fiction setting derived by analogy to "steampunk" and "cyberpunk."

The folk-etymological back-deriving of words that aren't actually compounds but sound like they are (or which are compounds but with different components) into new components , and then making new compounds from those components by analogy, is absolutely a thing that happens in linguistics.

Steampunk was formed to describe The Difference Engine by analogy to cyberpunk, as they were both describing similar sorts of stories, focused around computing technology, in a speculative fiction setting, written by Gibson. Then other people wrote stuff that was similar to the milieu of The Difference Engine, and "steampunk" was also applied to them. Since both steampunk and cyberpunk were also both classes of alternative-world settings distinctively characterized by the particular technology in the name, other settings were formed by analogy, effectively extracting "-punk" as a suffix.
>>
>>49695063
I wouldn't say "no" risk of hardship. I would say that you would want the risk of being labeled an "undesirable" and being excluded from society as long as you didn't conform. Like intentional systematic exclusion.

As well there would be the threat of being labeled a terrorist or agitator or [insert opposing system of government or economy] and a threat to society. Leading to detainment, possibly work camps or "re-education" camps, or just being put in a prison and forgotten, or exiled to not!Australia.

Maybe after re-education you're set up as a "ward of the state" like, as a sort of halfway house style of thing where you're monitored. Given a job in a state factory for depressed wages "to pay back society for your care".

Can't get credit, can't get into school, can't rent, definitely can't buy. Essentially if you enter the system you can never leave, either being a cheap government menial worker for life or joining the army which is the same thing except you might travel to get shot at.

So, conforming isn't great but it's secure.
>>
>>49696146
Again, The Difference Engine was more a dystopian bad-1984 without barely any steam, so calling it steampunk is retarded.

That or maybe Animal Farm is farmpunk instead of a fable.
>>
>>49696179
I agree, and that's all social repression.
>>
>>49696193
aesop's analogypunk
>>
>>49695793
100% it was his divorce. His wife was also his main editor for his ideas, reining in his tendency to get focused on how awesome an idea was in his head, and make him actually plan out how to either show the audience why it was so awesome, or cut it if he couldn't do it without derailing the plot.

>>49695793
> Lucas was used to working with other people, bouncing ideas off of them, collaborating to make something great.

Yes and no. He got pretty lucky with casting Harrison Ford, for one thing. But Lucas' main problem was micromanagement. Once again, his wife would come and pull him back and let the actors and directors and all do their jobs.

The later movies Lucas tried to manage everything, and was unable to compromise with what he imagined happening versus what could be done. Hence the CGI Bukakke on all his work afterwards.
>>
>>49696229
>aesop
Dude, the old Greeks stole everything from the Egyptians. Like Alien's crew.
>>
>>49696193
Don't be silly animal farm is anthropomorphismpunk.
>>
>>49696201
Nah, social repression is what you get for conforming if you aren't on the top.

This is social exclusion. I mean, work camps and exile were in there, as was brainwashing.

There's also use of force always being authorized, and SWATting not needing warrants. Shit like that.
>>
ZEERUST
>>
>>49696267
well maybe the egyptians need better securitypunk
>>
>>49696279
Welshpunk, "Corporations have stopped shearing the sheep and started shagging them instead."

No, sheep doesn't refer to the unwashed masses.
>>
>>49696193
>Again, The Difference Engine was more a dystopian bad-1984 without barely any steam, so calling it steampunk is retarded.
Well, I'm pretty sure that's where Steampunk actually comes from.
>>
>>49696354
>steampunk term comes from a terrible book
Well, that won't surprise me.
>>
>>49693842
>tfw we could have had a Star Wars with Toshiro Mifune
>>
File: Steamy Love.jpg (74KB, 620x349px)
Steamy Love.jpg
74KB, 620x349px
>>49696193
"Steam" refers to the era, Anon.

Where you expecting a steam robowaifu?
>>
>>49696472
I wanted a steamwaifu not a steamroller.
>>
>>49693388
>>49693222
>>49693214
I call it Chunky Tech
>>
>>49696557
Not to be confused with Funky Tech.
>>
>>49696590
Not to be confused with funkpunk.
>>
>>49693214
Plastic Hunk Tech Sci-fi
>>
>>49696608
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to Soul Train.

"It's not like I'm dancing," Case heard someone say, as he shouldered his way through the crowd around the door of the Parliament concert. "It's like my body's developed this massive funk deficiency." It was a funky voice and a funky joke. Parliament was a band for professional funkadelics; you could dance there for a week and never hear two chords of Bach.
>>
>>49696608
Or with funkwave.
>>
>>49695901
>Steampunk has nothing to do with punk culture and never did.
50% wrong.
The Difference Engine, the work the word "steampunk" was invented for, is definitely not a piece of punk litterature.
But it takes place during a period of anarchy caused by industrial pollution and outlines social issues of the times. That is part of why it is "punk".
It was also written by a cyberpunk author and is, more or less, a spin-off of that genre. Which was also all about talking about major social issues of the times through sci-fi symbolism.

Additionally, all those anons saying you need your protagonists to be "punks" to write a "something-punk" story every time a steampunk thread pops up are in the wrong. What makes a "something-punk" story is concentrating on the relationship between technology and society, and finding how, where and when things go wrong. Cyberpunk asks "how are robotics and the internet gonna impact our society?". Steampunk asks "what would have been our world if the industrial revolution had been crazier?". Atompunk should ask "what if EVERYTHING ran on nuclear power?", etc.
>>
>>49696354
>without barely any steam
>I don't understand symbolism
>>
>>49696701
Sry, was meant for >>49696193
>>
File: 1428871593525.png (2MB, 1280x779px)
1428871593525.png
2MB, 1280x779px
>>49696647
>>
>>49693222
>>49693214
kek. Numpty

You're a numpty OP
>>
>>49695723
.... my God. It was so simple. Such an elegant way to describe something. To think, all we ever really had to do was say: "Kind of like <insert similar setting/movie/style here>.

This thread is dumb. This guy gets it.

It's the way normal people describe things. Shit, we're on an image board, we can normally just post a fucking picture as an example if we need to illustrate the style we're looking for..
>>
>>49695759

acid punk
pre-LED punk
Xenopunk
gameoverman punk
best80smovie punk

nothing taking your fancy
>>
>>49695901
If it hadn't been for Bruce Sterling and William Gibson popularising the style it probably wouldn't have picked up the -punk at all
>>
It's called retrofuture
>>
>>49694931
>I love how /tg/ is triggered by the suffix punk.
/tg/ isn't triggered by "punk" being used as a suffix.

/tg/ is triggered by rampant stupidity.

And the willy-nilly dubbing of everything an anon doesn't know the name for as "defining feature-punk" is rampant stupidity.
>>
>>49695570
>The majority of people acknowledge and comprehend the utility of the - punk suffix.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, you're fucking serious, aren't you?
>>
>>49697339
>current year
>disliking stupidpunk
Grandpa please.
>>
>>49697368
If I wanted stupidpunk, I would pay more attention to the news.
>>
>>49697522
That's mediapunk, you dweeb.
>>
Synthwave is used to 80s stuff, but synthwave is usually more colorfull and not exactly squarish.
Vaporwave is also used and is closer to your stuff, but its more kistch

I know exactly what is the stuff you are thinking about.
There is problably an art type that inspired the guys that created those computers and etc...., its problably some genre the art guys would easily know but we dont, to research
>>
>>49697632
Synth/retrowave is a pastiche of 80s electronica filtered through secondary sources. It's the 80s as seen by people whose primary exposure to the 80s was a skating rink full of old arcade machines. Vaporwave is mostly ambient sampling with a heavy focus on pop culture sourcing.
>>
File: 1344004985663.jpg (57KB, 704x528px)
1344004985663.jpg
57KB, 704x528px
>>49694256
>Everything means the same thing, now everything is meaningless.
>>
>>49699333
Do you mean babelpunk?
>>
>Edgy faggots beat up strawmen -punk definitions instead of getting shit done and creating their own vocabulary

So instead; let's give a name to any genre using retro futuristic or anachronistic technologies in terms of the setting.

Even though -punk was the traditional stand in for the term and didn't necessarily need to imply a 'against authority' in terms of its story, let's make a new word.

What should the new suffix be for "this setting is based in a widely recognized technological theme"?
>>
>>49700247
There shouldn't be a word because that's dumb anyway and if anything this proliferation of stupid "-punk" derivatives has lent too much credence to the idea that this is a viable way of building a setting already.
>>
>>49693214
I always called it retro scifi.
>>
>>49700247
-wrench.
>>
If you had to coin a retarded "-punk" term for 40k what would it be? Catholic-Space-Nazi-punk?
>>
>>49701526
Warcraftpunk
>>
>>49701540
40k predates Warcraft.
>>
Used future.
>>
>>49696286
Not even close but thanks for playing and we have some lovely parting gifts for you
>>
>>49693214

It's Retrofuturistic, now.

You know how Fallout asks "What if the 50's-era aesthetic went on for another hundred years, and then the apocalypse happened?"

Well, what you're looking for is the nineties era of beige technology, but extrapolated upon.
>>
Since we're on the style of Punk, what would be a better concept: A vampire daughter, or an android daughter?
>>
File: Alien hallway.png (927KB, 1280x720px)
Alien hallway.png
927KB, 1280x720px
>>49702563

That's not specific enough though, it could mean anything. Steampunk is retrofuturistic. Fallout is Retrofuturistic. Alien is retrofuturisitic. Fucking Metropolis is retrofuturistic. All of them have extremely different visual and technological designs and implications built into them. It's a pretty useless label.
>>
Since this thread is pretty much derailed, can we post pictures of retro-future-daft-punk-sci-fi?

along the lines of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcAd1fUiy8
>>
>>49702624
Metropolis is not retro futuristic. To qualify it must be made looking back. Metropolis was of its day, but not looking back.
>>
Retro-tech.

That's what it's ACTUALLY CALLED.

Whether any of you faggots like it or not, it's called "retro-tech."
>>
>>49693773
Star Wars is not layman's "sci-fi" by any stretch. It's pretty much pulp-era stuff. How do we call it?

Space Fantasy.
>>
>>49703642
No, you just call it pulp sci-fi.
>>
>>49703642
Spacepunk
>>
>>49703709
Space opera and pulp sci-fi.
>>
>>49703447
looks more like IBMpunk to me, bro
>>
>>49693590
>There is no Egyptian influence in Alien
>>49693910
>I fail to see how Alien was inspired by Egyptian motiffs
>>49694430
>I've followed Alien for the first 20 years (more or less until resurrection) and nobody said that

>Cobb acknowledged the Moebius influence, as well as the ship’s other, perhaps subtler, inspirations: “The ship is a strange mixture of retrofitted old technology, a kind of industrial nightmare, like being trapped in a factory … Ridley’s a wonderful artist and he wanted it to look a lot like a Moebius-designed ship, with all kinds of rounds surfaces and with an Egyptian motif.” This Egyptian motif is prevalent in the Weylan-Yutani logo, a wings of Horus design which adorns the uniforms of the crew in addition to their coffee cups, beer cans, etc. The hypersleep chamber also evokes a burial chamber, with the cryo-chambers arranged in a lotus shape. In addition to the Egyptian motif, another influence was Japan. “The owners of the Nostromo are Japanese,” Scott told Fantastic Films.
>>
>>49704087

Yes, theres is an Egyptian logo. The 'burial chamber' could evoke many things, but sure Egyptian themes could be one of them.

And? What else? Where's the rest? Where are the pyramid shapes or fucking anything Egyptian? There isn't any you fucking faggot, its a mess of wires and hexagonal hallways and industrialism, nothing about the actual look of the ship itself or the technology in any way is Egyptian. Fucking kill yourself you pretentious twat.
>>
>>49693214
Okay OP, first things first.
Forget "-punk".

Retro future or futurism
Cold War Futurism
80s retrofuturism
Chunky Tech

These are all good, but not specific to your exact aesthetic

>>49695790
>"80's chunky analog used-retrofuture."
Is the best in the thread.
Although, your example was less used than Alien, so that bit's optional.

My two cents.
>>
What a gorgeous aesthetic.

>>49695790
>>49704195
>"80's chunky analog used-retrofuture."

Does Starship troopers also apply? I feel like that's been used to describe it before too.
>>
>>49704160
Please direct your commentary to Ridley Scott and Ron Cobb, as I had nothing to do with the production of the movie and I did not say the set had that motif, they did.

Also, you seem to be mistaken on two other points.
1. I am not the egypt anon that brought this up
2. A motif does not need to be an overpowering presence dominating all visual aspects to exist.
>Where are the pyramid shapes
I mean, this is just sad.
>>
>>49704235
From what I recall, yes.
I tried to find an image of an interior and couldn't.
Most tech and structure images I found were of that final base and yeah, the military walls and chunky containers fit, but that's not saying much.
>>
>>49704235
Starship troopers is 90s space fascismpunk.
>>
>>49704160
>If there isn't a pyramid, it's not Egyptian!
And if you aren't sucking cock, you're not a human being.

Now go do it, faggot.
>>
>>49704556
>>
>>49696647
Posts like this are why I keep coming here.
>>
Ooh! What about IBMpu...
>>49703866
God damn it.
But yes, agreed. Fax machines in artificial gravity, coffee ring on the navigation computer, memos tacked on a bulletin board partially covering a view of space.

I like that idea a lot for an aesthetic. I'd really like to see something slide-of-life in a setting like that, closest thing I can think of is Planetes
>>
File: 1436843381657.jpg (70KB, 557x650px)
1436843381657.jpg
70KB, 557x650px
>>
>>49704235
>pic
mmm you can almost smell the plastic and cleaning fluids

>>49705007
yeh.

honestly I'd just settle for a sci-fi setting where things look like people actually live there.
>>
>>49693214
the best term is "retro-futuristic"
>>
>>49694355
Dieselpunk is a thing.

The 20s and 30s are actually a decent time for having punk elements in your story, prohibition makes for gangs which are a means of illicit social mobility, the depression makes for mobility but the other way, rich people making mad money on the stock market or losing every cent.

But 80s retrofuturism is probably a decent word for it.

Or just "kinda like what Alien and Star Wars looked like" also works since those are the only two things that give a real clear image of it.
>>
>>49705273
>Dieselpunk is a thing.
this tbqh
>>
Is -Punk the new -Mancy/-Mancer?
>>
>>49705273
>>49705799
>Dieselpunk is a thing
Sure, isn't a shallow aesthetic for retards like steampunk.

Again, care to point 3 "dieselpunk" books or movies?

>>49705867
Is the old meme-
>>
>>49693214
Classic Scifi
>>
>>49695871
>DOS being a specific artifact of the 90s
Could not be more incorrect. You're confusing DOS (1979 onwards) with MS-DOS (1991 onwards).
>>
>>49705875
>Is the old meme-
I mean it as, the suffix has little to do with the current meaning but by now it is so ingrained that changing it for the correct word would be more trouble that is worth and end up as very clunky

Pretty much any person thinks that (X)-punk means "This setting manages to use (X) tech as if it were superscience and got stuck at that level of social development and fashion sense" or "This setting takes place at the time (X) tech was the most popular and adds up on that"

Just like (X)-mancer now has become "This person can manipulate (X) in some way" instead of "This person uses (x) as a form of divination"
>>
>>49705946
>by now it is so ingrained that changing it for the correct word would be more trouble that is worth and end up as very clunky
Again, that would apply just to the "new" cyberpunk (the one without punk).

All other -punk thinks are just deviantart tags.

Is like the Japs used cheatpunk instead of NTR or underagepunk instead of shota/loli.
>>
>>49705875
>Again, care to point 3 "dieselpunk" books or movies?
Not that guy, but: Mad Max: Fury Road, Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow, Tank Girl. That's just off the top of my head.
>>
>>49706003
>Mad Max: Fury Road
Post-apocalyptic.

>Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow
Eyepatchpunk.

>Tank Girl
Post-apocalyptic.

Good try.
>>
>>49705875
>Again, care to point 3 "dieselpunk" books or movies?

>Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire
>Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
>Captain America: The First Avenger
>The Rocketeer
>Bioshock
>>
>>49705970
>Again, that would apply just to the "new" cyberpunk (the one without punk).
Just like the new -mancer has nothing to do with actual -mancy?

>All other -punk thinks are just deviantart tags
No, it has breached mainstream culture, from now on -punk means the thing i detailed before because that is how the suffix ended up in the collective conciuosness.

You can complain that is wrong, and you are right. But don't, even for a second, pretend that the common person is going to say "Victorian retro-futurism" instead of "steampunk", it is not just something that only the people you dislike use, but the mayority. Just like, when i say "necromancer" most people think of a dark mage or a wizard with a skeleton army instead of a fortuneteller or a medium calling the spirits of the dead

>>49706027
Bioshock is biopunk.
According to this guy >>49706025 it can only be ONE thing at the same time, and we know he is an expert on the subject.
>>
File: me.jpg (50KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
50KB, 800x450px
>>49706090
>Just like the new -mancer has nothing to do with actual -mancy?
Yeah, I forgot to say it in the other post, but I really hate that subfix too.

>You can complain that is wrong, and you are right. But [...]
I know, world change and the meaning of words changes etc etc. But it happens too fast since the internet is mainstream. Just look how "meme" basically means "image macro" and "trap" "crossdresser" or even "shemale", it has lose the deceiving part.

I blame the 90s kids.

You can blame Tolkien for the Necromancer thing tho.

>we know he is an expert on the subject
Thanks for your confidence.

>Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Didn't watched it. from a quick google search it looks like Badghiblipunk.
>Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Again? I told you is eyepatchpunk. Also aged like milk.
>Captain America: The First Avenger
>capeshit
>The Rocketeer
Rocketpunk.
>Bioshock
Biopunk.
>>
>>49706025
>Eyepatchpunk
Oh, my mistake. I thought we were engaging in clear, logical discourse.

Well, here's your (You)
>>
>>49706195
>I thought we were engaging in clear, logical discourse
Not since the second you typed "dieselpunk".
>>
>>49706195
So, Badghiblipunk, Rocketpunk and Biopunk are fine? Good to know.
>>
>>49706205
Boy with quips like that I bet you get a lot of upvotes on Reddit.
>>
/tg/punk when?
>>
>>49706243
>Reddit
The home of subfixpunk? I hate that place.
>>
File: Formica Punk.jpg (734KB, 765x2600px)
Formica Punk.jpg
734KB, 765x2600px
>>49693214
Formicapunk
>>
>>49706251
A setting where tabletop games are of utmost importance?
Try the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime

A setting where Table top game elitists dominate everything and you and your band of misfits oppose them?
You play as a /qst/-ter
>>
>>49706267
>A setting where meme spewing neckbeards rule the world
>>
>>49706267
>turning into your most hatted thing to defeat the villains
Pottery!
>>
>>49706267
How about a world in which "that guy" elite control the *punk-spouting masses and only the "pre moderation incident" Anons from /jp/, /k/ and /m/ can oppose?
>>
>>49706025
>>Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow
>Eyepatchpunk.
Raygun Gothic, actually.
>>
>>49706302
>Opposition to "that guy" is done with /pol/-tier meme warfare.
>>
>>49706275
Is it that much worse than meme spewing old people?

>>49706280
Hey, all the -punk haters are always complaining you always get to play the cream of the crop of said setting and never get to the "punk" part
>>
>>49706320
Old neckbeards
Kept alive through augmentation and doritos
>>
>>49693214
Beige sci fi
>>
>>49706322
>tonight: doritos smuggling operation
>tomorrow: raid the mt. dew deposits
Living on the edge!
>>
>>49706322
If they are old neckbeards they should subsixst on meatbread alone. Which becomes a problem because the overlords are eliminating it in favor of mass produced Doritos and Mt. Dew
>>
>>49693405
Used future works better, really.
>>
>>49694474
And yet you, somefuckinghow, actually have less. My god you are pathetic. Do the research and prove him wrong or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>49693222
Alien really has its own kind of style going on, it's not generically 80s.

Corporate-industrial used future, but oddly comfy?
>>
>>49694207
is she playing beat em and eat em?
>>
>>49693388
Used future, check out Patlabor.
>>
>>49706003
>Tank Girl
Tank Girl can't be -punk, because it's actually punk.
>>
>>49693214
Yeah, what >>49694768 said.

I'm going to try that eyeball thing out at work. Let's see how my dev team reacts.
>>
>>49696608
Or chunkpunk
>>
>>49693453

The elevator pitch for Alien was "JAWS in space." That's really all you need to know.
>>
>>49705901
This... DOS is just Any OS that operates off a Disk. In all technicality Windows 10 and modern *nixes are all DOSes
>>
File: 49604.png (126KB, 700x1238px)
49604.png
126KB, 700x1238px
>>49707768
>not running you OS from the cloud
You troglodyte.
>>
>>49705946
This is why I say technopath instead of technomancer as someone who has an innate understanding and ability with computers.
Sage because of not really contributing.
>>
>gordon carroll, exec producer of aliens recalls in the book “hello, he lied” by linda obst how james cameron sold the project:

“cameron was young. he had just directed terminator. cameron had called a meeting to discuss his “next project.” everyone knew cameron had written a treatment for alien 2 that nobody would touch because alien was not a massive financial success. alien 2 was not on the table. we expected a professional pitch from cameron, an outline and a treatment of what he had in mind with a cursory budget; perhaps a couple assistants to run a slide show. instead cameron walked in the room without so much as a piece of paper. he went to the chalk board in the room and simply wrote the word alien. then he added an ‘s’ to make aliens. dramatically, he drew two vertical lines through the ‘s’, alien$. he turned around and grinned. we greenlit the project that day for $18 million.”
>>
>>49707808
At some point, "The Cloud" is still a disk.
>>
>>49693214
Used Future
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UsedFuture

Unfortunately it's pretty much 1940s in space, which is Unfortunate because 1940s is an item of the Dieselpunk genre

Fucking People putting -punk on things, Cyberpunk wasn't even a genre, originally it was just a name for augmented streetkids

Everything is lost, everything is ruined, there's nothing to save, just burn the earth, for better or worse
>>
>>49707848
>he went to the chalk board in the room and simply wrote the word alien. then he added an ‘s’ to make aliens. dramatically, he drew two vertical lines through the ‘s’, alien$. he turned around and grinned.
That is the most 80s thing ever.
>>
>>49708319
>Cyberpunk wasn't even a genre, originally it was just a name for augmented streetkids
How do you think things get named? That they spring forth from nowhere, fully formed and with a name attached?
>>
>>49707768
The very first DOS didn't actually stand for "Disk Operating System", that's a backronym. It was SCP's QDOS, which stood for "Quick and Dirty Operating System"; they renamed it to 86-DOS when they took it to market (which was shortly before Microsoft picked it up and renamed it MS-DOS).
>>
>>49708319
>burn the earth

Fuck Yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcLzn5-Vxj0
>>
>>49708359
Considering that steampunk pre-dates The Difference Engine and originally was coined to refer to authors who wrote books in what would a few years later be referred to as the steampunk genre but this thread is full of people that steampunk consists of nothing but people cosplaying in corsets with brass tubing attached, I'd say no. No one has any damned idea how things happen.
>>
File: ERRAY.jpg (43KB, 960x728px)
ERRAY.jpg
43KB, 960x728px
>>49696647
today was a good day, now back to the basement.
>>
>>49694631
>>49694340
You could have an 00s*punk where people steal info from everyone, piracy is rampant and etc..
Places like piratebay created servers on space, like they said they would do.

All this information sharing lead to faster discoveries and etc...
>>
>>49693371

What about... Wirepunk?
>>
>>49705875
Scott Westerfield's Leviathan trilogy
>>
>>49693214
Troll style
>>
>>49709392
>>49709392
>piracy is rampant
>Places like piratebay
>All this information sharing lead to faster discoveries and etc...
The only thing that was discovered was how many times you can fap before dying due to exhaustion
>>
>>49695734
>>49697152
Is there a weedpunk?
>>
>>49712999
>let's fight the system dude
>sure, but first let's smoke some joints
>[fade to black screen]
>repeat everyday
>>
>>49706303
Pulp sci-fi, actually.
>>
File: nocker.jpg (60KB, 740x422px)
nocker.jpg
60KB, 740x422px
>>49712999
>>
>>49702935

>Reminded of this game by your image
>Get excited thinking they must have made tonnes of progress since the last time I looked into it
>Go to their website
>Last post was Dec 2015

Now I'm sad and disappointed.
>>
>>49693214

MOTHERFUCKING MODEMPUNK
>>
>>49714514
>crappy system shock/bioshock/half-life ripoff that's been done a million times already
>>
>>49714514
Me too, I was so hyped for this game two years ago.
>>49716201
Nah, it was going to have no real weapons, IIRC, other than shit that temporarily stun your foes. You mainly had to run the fuck away, which is not very Bioshock/Half-Life. Few tools, so it wasn't very System Shock either.

That atmosphere beat the hell out of almost any other horror game I've seen. Plus, 80s retrofuturism.
>>
>>49709402
What about "you mum enjoys sucking my dick-punk".
>>
It's retroactively known as cassette futurism
>>
>>49719097
What's that?
>>
>>49719211
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CassetteFuturism

Considering Alien came out about five seconds before the start of the eighties, I think it still applies
>>
>>49719513
That explains nothing.

It sounds like a French diminutive of case. Is it like an attaché? And why is it used to name a genre?
>>
>>49719559
Oh, you're a young one ain't ya?
>>
>>49719559
Jesus Christ, and I thought I was young for this board.
>>
>>49719592
>>49719633

Why are you taking his bait? Is this the epik new meme like le 'who is captain kirk'?

Let's all give him a million replies because he pretended he didn't know what a cassette tape is! Maybe we'll end up in a fucking epik screencap dudes XD
>>
>>49719670
Why don't people just say tape?
>>
>>49693214
Hauntological
An imagined future from the 1970s
>>
File: dog floppy face.jpg (20KB, 458x359px)
dog floppy face.jpg
20KB, 458x359px
The absolute sheer number of replies and different interpretations of the genre and style in the thread clearly shows that there IS NOT any one specific label that covers it.
>>
>>49718452

Too long for a name.
>>
>>49720019
>The absolute sheer number of replies and different interpretations of the genre and style in the thread clearly shows that there IS NOT any one specific label that covers it.
No, it shows how fucking stupid people are.

Just because YOU don't know the name of something doesn't mean it doesn't have a name.
>>
File: 12678084.jpg (163KB, 750x574px)
12678084.jpg
163KB, 750x574px
>>49719670
>>
>>49720019
This >>49720101 to be quite frank my dear.
>>
>>49719559
>pencil_and_cassette_tape.bmp
>>
>>49721562
>bmp
>>
>>49720203
>demotivational poster
>in late 2016

Fuck, is it late 00s nostalgia time again?
>>
>>49694008
No.
>>
>>49724295
Hey there! Are you looking forward to the second presidential candidate debate? Wonder how Lin Miranda will do on SNL?...
>>
>>49723907
You were expecting .tiff or something? Rev up that irfanview!
>>
>>49724113
No.
It's Noughtiespunk time
>>
I want to post Holmespunk and nobody can't stop me!

MWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
>>
>>49729605
>>
>>49729626
>>
>>49693214
70's retro-futurism.
>>
>>49729645
>>
>>49729665
>>
>>49729696
>badum-tish
>>
>>49729696

>>49729665

"Sherlock Holmes after all is mostly an attitude and a few dozen lines of unforgettable dialogue."

-Raymond Chandler.
>>
File: 8ghngog.jpg (40KB, 750x600px)
8ghngog.jpg
40KB, 750x600px
>>49724113
>>
>>49729852
Stupid Raymond Chandler, he didn't knew Sherlock Holmes is wittypunk.
Thread posts: 262
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.