[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/btg/ - Battletech General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 83

File: mwda_10.jpg (315KB, 531x866px) Image search: [Google]
mwda_10.jpg
315KB, 531x866px
>it was supposed to have a "Long live btg" here

MechWarrior: Dark Age? More like BEST Age
MWDA was the best thing it happened to the franchise, weeding the introtech autistic fans better than anything

Old thread >>49631558

==================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

Touring the Stars: Tyrfing

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bk2zfcwhlfb92f2/E-CAT35SN212+BattleTech+Touring+the+Stars+Tyrfing.pdf

Touring the Stars: (Ha ha) Butte Hold
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c5ggig1wz21l8r0/
E-CAT35SN210_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_Butte_Hold.pdf

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
File: Geist RBA.png (379KB, 1308x1003px) Image search: [Google]
Geist RBA.png
379KB, 1308x1003px
Oh good, a troll op. In response, Battle Armor.
>>
>>49689815
Sure, but it's better than no BT at all
>>
Ded thred, ded dev, ded game
>>
>>49690570
>Ben referred to Herb being "forced out"

Two devs, now...and nobody to follow up, since Ben was the protege.
>>
>>49690817

Well if nothing's been announced somewhere by now it probably means we're shit out of luck.

Anyone able to offer a more in depth analysis of what this means for the game and company?
Cause i'm having trouble seeing a bright side to this.
>>
>>49691123
We might be able to seize CGL HQ and force them to choose someone who's never played to be line dev? Maybe then we won't have horrible bias.
>>
>>49690817
>...and nobody to follow up, since Ben was the protege.

Looks my opportunity has finally arrived. Anyone have Randall's number?
>>
>>49691123

>Anyone able to offer a more in depth analysis of what this means for the game and company?

Probably just confirms the long, slow death of BT. Nobody was willing to be line dev so it stalled because no-one is pushing for major content or storyline advances, just micro-content bullshit and historicals.

Randall doesn't give enough of a shit to actually be line dev.

Oh well. It was a hell of a run while it lasted.

>>49691276

I think we need someone who has played and who does understand the rules. Some of the more recent stuff has been a clusterfuck because nobody at the top knows what they're doing well enough to spot broken shit before it goes to print.
>>
File: 1462476124135.png (247KB, 759x311px) Image search: [Google]
1462476124135.png
247KB, 759x311px
So I found this website from a battletech blog

Any experience with this site? Looksl ike a fucking promised land for conventional military vehicles and infantry, all in the proper battletech scale.

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/ghq-military-models.html
>>
>>49691423
Honestly, just make the /btg/RO crew line devs, with NEA on board for good measure.
>>
>>49691431
I don't have any personally, but my dad has a regiment of US armor from them. They're nice figures, as others on here will probably agree.
>>
>>49691479

>The Magistracy of Canopus allies with the Jade Falcons and the setting is partitioned between them and a resurgent FWL

Not sure if that's better or worse than the game dying, dude.
>>
>>49691523
Don't forget the SLDF time traveling into the future and nuking everyone, anon. I'm insulted you forgot the caricature of me.
>>
>>49691538

>he thinks he can beat the fiat of Purple Burd and Trannie Green Burd

o i am laffin
>>
>>49691479
Don't forget our guy Xotl
>>
>>49691523
>no Neo-WoB

into the trash it goes
>>
On an unrelated note, will the real Greekfire please stand up and join the IRC at some point
>>
>>49691523
>>49691538
>>49691570
>>49691579
>>49691585
I'm not sure if the lack of capfagging suggestions is because I'm forgettable, or because you guys know I'm only in it for the toys. Probably the former.
>>
>>49691719
You don't shitpost enough. And because your dream has already come true.
>>
File: jv mw2.jpg (1MB, 2214x1605px) Image search: [Google]
jv mw2.jpg
1MB, 2214x1605px
Bumping with some old (and previously not seen on /btg/) art by a Finnish bloke called Joona Vainio. A veteran of the Finnish RPG Wars, he was responsible for, among other things, translating Twilight 2000 and Cyberpunk 2020 into Finnish. This one is from a Finnish computer gaming mag called Pelit, specifically Vainio's guide to Mechwarrior 2.
>>
File: jv mw2 2.jpg (837KB, 1374x1407px) Image search: [Google]
jv mw2 2.jpg
837KB, 1374x1407px
And so is this one, specifically the September 1995 issue. The next issue had the second part of the guide, and if memory serves it had a giant pic of a Timber Wolf in it. I'll have to see if I have the issue.
>>
Can someone explain to me why the Goons went into the whole AMC/Jihad thing in the way they did? What got their panties in such a twist about the Blakists?
>>
>>49693820

WoB got their attention by wiping out a shit ton of WolfNet operatives. Throw in the old ComStar/Dragoon grudge and the way WoB was blatantly expanding into the Chaos March by destabilising the region and it's no wonder the Dragoons formed the AMC.

>in b4 but the WoB was incorporating planets at their request

WoB was directly funding most of the insurrection in the area and mounting covert ops to stir up other trouble. The AMC was purely defensive and could only be requested by legitimate planetary governments.
>>
>>49691523
The MoC is a boring meme faction, but the FWL has always been interesting enough that I'd like to see an era in BT where they were the "main character" faction (so to speak). I never used to main them but I have to admit their old FM and handbook are probably the best written of those series.
>>
>>49693981
Well that settles it, Muninn Marik for line dev!

Good thing we had this one anon around to settle it for us
>>
File: an ancient evil awakens.jpg (12KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
an ancient evil awakens.jpg
12KB, 239x239px
Now that I'm comfortably numb with fever and whisky, it's time to embrace an old friend. Star Lord, here I come.
>>
>>49694006

>implying anyone who agrees with anyone else isn't that first person samefagging
>>
>>49695002
I agree.
>>
>>49693301
>>49693317
ooooo neat
>>
>>49691431

Excellent quality, good prices, good service.

You can't go wrong with GHQ for conventional forces.
>>
>>49691423
I'm fairly certain Ben, Paul, Ray and likely several others would have been happy to be line developer.
>>
>>49695740
There's only one way to find the next line dev: a trial of position.
>>
>>49695990

If the well being of the game wasn't on the line I would happily have this be the deciding method of choice.
>>
The faster CGL BT dies the faster that Topps can give the IP to someone competent.
>>
File: 1464386928063.jpg (220KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1464386928063.jpg
220KB, 1000x800px
Blood Spirits best spirits
>>
I'm still wondering if Star Lord was fact-checked at all. There's a bit where they talk about the Knights of Inner Sphere and how people from all around flocked to them, when actually only the ones from the FWL were admitted and every Johnny Foreigner was directed to apply to that other merc unit (Romanoff's Crusaders? Or the Cossacks?) Also, the Steel Vipers really don't know their remembrance, when they say it's the seventh year of the Truce of Tukayyid in 3057.

Also, the Cavern of the Skull still sounds like the lair of the of Saturday morning cartoon baddie.
>>
>>49697256
There's a difference, English language wise, between the idea of people all around flocking to a group and who is admitted. Plus the FWL FM observes there still are some non-League citizens serving in the Knights.
>>
>>49697335
I know the difference, but the book has a F-C general make a comment to the Crucis Lancers character how the general's glad the Lancer hasn't buggered off to the knights years after they were set up and the "FWL only need apply" policy was clear.
>>
>>49697679
What policy is that when foreigners are found in the regiments? How would some F-C general know what it is? Who even knew of Romanov's Crusaders when the Knights hogged all the glory? It's rather obvious that exceptional foreigners found their way into the Knights, and Garth Hawkes was clearly an exception person.

Of all the things to nitpick Star Lord about, a POV remark about foreigners being drawn to the Knights really isn't one of them :/
>>
I'm interested in Battletech/Mechwarrior roleplay.

What would you consider the best iteration of the setting in rpg-form?

Also, what are your thoughts of BT/MW roleplay?
>>
>>49699147
Probably Mechwarrior 3e. Better laid out than ATOW, has some of its own derpy bits but generally pretty good and playable.
>>
>>49699147
>I'm interested in Battletech/Mechwarrior roleplay.

1) Take the position
3) Quote the startup sequence
3) Make "Pew-pew"-sounds as you walk like your mech of choice
>>
>>49699147
>What would you consider the best iteration of the setting in rpg-form?
A Time of War. it's a little clunky, but its better than the One-Eyed Psychopath Generator (MechWarrior 3rd).

>Also, what are your thoughts of BT/MW roleplay?
It is fun enough.
>>
>>49699147
Seconding MW 3rd Edition.
>>
File: DSC_0254.jpg (3MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0254.jpg
3MB, 4496x3000px
don't mind me, just posting more miniature pics
>>
File: DSC_0258.jpg (3MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0258.jpg
3MB, 4496x3000px
>>49699658
>>
File: DSC_0269.jpg (3MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0269.jpg
3MB, 4496x3000px
>>49699667
>>
File: DSC_0273.jpg (3MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0273.jpg
3MB, 4496x3000px
>>49699688
>>
File: DSC_0275.jpg (3MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0275.jpg
3MB, 4496x3000px
>>49699709
>>
File: DSC_0280.jpg (3MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0280.jpg
3MB, 4496x3000px
>>49699732
>>
File: DSC_0284.jpg (4MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0284.jpg
4MB, 4496x3000px
>>49699748
>>
>>49699767
These yours or did you find the pics elsewhere?
>>
>>49699394
Planet, Colmar. Ambient Temperature, 34.65 degrees. Local time is 01:34:16 GST. All Systems Nominal.
>>
I'm a Marauder. PEW PEW BZZT BZZT BANG! I suck, but everyone thinks I'm cool anyways.
>>
File: DSC_0283.jpg (3MB, 3000x4496px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0283.jpg
3MB, 3000x4496px
>>49699962
They are mine, anon
I'm practicing with my new camera and decided to post some of the minis here
sometimes I see people here wondering about MWDA mini quality and scale, so I tried to kill two birds with one stone
>>
>>49691479

I can only see this being terrible. Probably better than the FGC but not by a lot.
>>
>>49700273
I'm pretty underwhelmed with the DA clicktech minis, if I'm honest. Of what you've posted, I like the Thunder Fox (i have a weakness for quads), the Zeus X (it's appropriately bulky), and the Malice (i love ACs), but the others are all pretty unimpressive. Note that I'm purely talking sculpts, the paint job seems fine.

Do you have the Atlas III? I'd love to see that one's sculpt, it's a favorite mech of mine.
>>
>>49699147
1st or 2nd edition for the campaign system and generic background
any of them for combat rules
2nd (with GM-enforced skill limits) or 3rd for character generation

If you're going to have any MechWarriors (or fighter pilots, tankers, etc) and actually play out those fights, then all the players need to have a character (even if it's just a two-dimensional sidekick to their main PC) who can participate

Focus the campaign around the politics of a single planet, or a single battalion/regiment/brigade, rather than starting at the "I will conquer other nations for my House" level.
>>
>>49700336
Mos of the time I like the sculptures. The first sets were terrible and responsible for the atrocities such as THAT Atlas. Around AoD the minis start to get very good, at least for my taste.

Here's an Atlas III and other minis. Sorry for the quality, though. Lightning is very bad :/
>>
File: DSC_0011 (2).jpg (4MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0011 (2).jpg
4MB, 4496x3000px
>>49700600
ops
>>
File: DSC_0003 (2).jpg (4MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003 (2).jpg
4MB, 4496x3000px
>>49700621
detailed Atlas III
>>
File: DSC_0004 (2).jpg (4MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0004 (2).jpg
4MB, 4496x3000px
>>49700673
They reused Atlass III legs on Enforcer III, sadly you can't notice this on MechaMaster and Plog's art
>>
File: DSC_0008 (2).jpg (4MB, 4496x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0008 (2).jpg
4MB, 4496x3000px
>>49700739
and that quad I posted is the Ursa. Here is the Thunder Fox for you
>>
Why is the 3049-3067 era the golden age of BT fluff?
It's a given that the Dark Age has best gameplay.
>>
>>49697141
>the faster Coleman can form another shell company and get it under his thumb for another ten years

Fixed
>>
>>49700779
Both quads are spicy, I'm a quad man.

>>49700673
Eeeeh, I wanted that sculpt to be better. I honestly believe the IWM one is cleaner than this one, which is a sad day whenever IWM>anything else.
>>
>>49700833
I think Star League is the golden age of BT fluff. The factions, their motivations and their actions make sense, even if sometimes exagerated. The fluff starts to get pants-on-head retarded as soon as Kerensky leaves the Inner Sphere***. Other than that, 3049-3067 focus too much on certain factions for my liking

*** I have to be honest that early clan and Golden Age are one of my favorite eras, and both are also the most
unbelievable parts of the fluff. It is so exaggerated and out of touch from reality I can't really complain about it
>>
>>49700833
I know you're just funposting, but I'm gonna respond seriously and maybe spark a discussion, who knows.

>Why is the 3049-3067 era the golden age of BT fluff?
I'm not convinced it is. It has my favorite moment in the lore (The Great Refusal, natch) but otherwise I'm unenthused about it. Lots of random murders, contrived plots, faction fagging, etc. It's not terrible, but it surely isn't the Golden Age of BattleTech.

>It's a given that the Dark Age has best gameplay.
This is how I know you're funposting. DA is only the best gameplay if you are really into mixtech and E-War everywhere. Personally, I think that Civil War-era is the best: lots of mech options, manageable amounts of tech with plenty of experimental frippery for laughs, Clan vs. IS is still distinct but the gap is closer than it could be.
>>
>>49700833
>the Superfriends
>the fake Marik kid ploy
>the finale of the Great Refusal
>foiling Mindo Waterly on Easy Mode
>corporate secular ComStar
>Star Lord

There's a lot of stupid shit in this era. Maybe even more than any other. I think the Star League, the AoW and 1st/2nd SSW are way less retarded.

What I do like about 3049-3067:

>REVIVAL
>Tukayyid
>Bulldog and Serpent (with the exception of the Nova Cat aspects)
>St Ives War
>WoB spanking ComStar at Terra
>Ghost Bear - Combine War
>Jaime Wolf is killed by Waco's guys
>>
>>49701103
>It has my favorite moment in the lore (The Great Refusal, natch)

This is my least favourite part about Clan-IS conflicts. Tukayyid, Coventry and other IS victories were won with the narrative that tactics+numbers beats skills+technology+boneheaded ritualized warfare. I like seeing the IS taking on a problem and finding a clever solution, while Clans flap about and fail because they can't adapt. That's why Tukayyid remains one of my favourite BT battles.

The Great Refusal has none of that. The IS win by playing the Clans at their own game: in fair Trials, in limited areas, with basically equal forces. Granted the IS sometimes break zell, but even so it's mainly the Heroes of the Inner Sphere beating those dirty Clanners with raw skill and pure grit. It even ends with a katana decapitation. That frankly sums the whole thing up for me: overblown, corny, IS-trumpeting horseshit.

Of course the IS had to win, it would have been a stupid story otherwise. Serpent and Bulldog were pretty good story-wise, but it goes full derp when we get to the final Trials. I think the results should have been a lot closer and Victor should have had to get through using his brain (stop laughing) as much as anything else.
>>
>>49701278
>The Great Refusal has none of that
I was under the understanding that Tukayyid *was* the Great Refusal. In any case, I meant Tukayyid (I'm a C* faggot, therefore I love that battle; I also played in 5/7 of the Tukayyid canon games at cons).
>>
>>49701390

Tukayyid was just Ulric having an each-way bet.

Win and the Wolves are in prime position to become ilClan and force the Warden agenda. Lose and the Crusaders have fucked themselves.
>>
>>49701390

Then we're in agreement that Tukayyid is god-tier.

The Great Refusal was the one in 3060, fought in the aftermath of the Smoke Jaguars getting spanked. The outcome of the Trial was that the original decision of the Clans to invade the IS was Refused.

Tukayyid was fought in 3052. The outcome was a truce that lasted 15 years, the terms being that the Clans weren't allowed to take any worlds closer to Terra than those they'd already taken.
>>
>>49701469
Yeah I remember the details of Tukayyid (played a full campaign against the Nova Cats, played in most of the con games about it), I just forgot that it and the Great Refusal were different things, apparently. Whatever, Tukayyid is absolutely the best piece of BattleTech lore.
>>
Just wanted to share the story of why I'm not allowed to GM at game night anymore (this happened last week).

I'm the B-List GM, which means I pretty much try to convince them to play things other than Pathfinder. I finally convinced them to try BT a couple months ago. Surprisingly a couple of them didn't hate it, and agreed to do a campaign...as long as I made characters.

So I made a pair of disgraced Free Worlds noble cousins who were maneuvered into giving up their lands in the Duchy of Andurien by a political rival. I let them each pick one non-assault mech, and then give enough money to buy 2 lights, or 1 light and 1 medium to round out their lance.

Basically, an aunt who is high up in Irian Unlimited manages to get them a commission in the FWLM, on the Lyran border.

After a certain wedding, they're ordered over the border as part of Operation Dagger, and actually manage to capture a supply depot. They (sometimes barely) manage to hold it against a few attempts to get it back, usually fighting of recon lances, with the occasional heavy thrown in to shake them up. (In real life, the campaign stalled because the players found combat more fun than RPing).

Eventually the players start getting cocky and asking me to up the difficulty. Okay I say, I can do that. So the next game they get a report of another lance moving their way. Shrugging their shoulder at the lack of difficulty, they deploy and prepare to add more marks to their cockpits.

Out of a forest lumbers 4 mechs that my players have never seen before. A memetastic Lyran scout lance. This led to a rage quit, and when I logged into roll20 this week, I was met by a statement saying that I wasn't allowed to GM anymore games.
>>
>>49701728

So four Assaults (Banshees & Zeuses?) vs 2 Heavies, 1 Medium and 1 Light (I'm guessing)?

Were you using TW or the AToW combat rules?

>when I logged into roll20 this week, I was met by a statement saying that I wasn't allowed to GM anymore games.

Is this a thing? Like, is this just them saying "we don't want your GMing" or actually from the roll20 admins saying "Nope. GTFO."?
>>
>>49701728
Wow your players are fucking pussies. That's a hard fight (assuming 4 Banshees or something vs their lance) but banning you from DMing after asking for (and receiving) a difficulty increase? Faggotry of the highest order.
>>
>>49701784
>>49701858
It was 4 atlases against them with TW rules. The intention was that they would retreat, and we would be able to move the campaign back towards Andurien.

They with their WHM-6R, ARC-2R, TBT-5S, and SDR-5V tried to fight them off, Despite me saying, these are 100 ton death machines, you're going to want to retreat.

After the shit show which followed, I thought they would cool down. Nope. I logged in for weekly Pathfinder, and they all said that what happened was bullshit, and that they didn't want to play Battletech again.

I agree though, these guys are pussies who exclusively play snipers, leaving me to play the tank. Also they bitch whenever their characters get a boo-boo, yet constantly pick fights.
>>
File: 1284725455763.jpg (227KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
1284725455763.jpg
227KB, 750x600px
>>49701728
Pusssiiiesss
>>
A hypothetical: A Heavy lance against a bunch of smaller vehicles, stand-up fight.

Is it better for the heavy lance(including a elite Archer pilot, and a lot of long-range capability in general) to stand still, keep the enemy in front of them, or keep moving for defensive modifiers to help survivability, even if it means worse shots?
>>
>>49701912
>WHM-6R, ARC-2R, TBT-5S, and SDR-5V
That vs 4 AS7-D is a fucking slaughtermatch. Technically, I think they could have taken the Atlases, if they were super precise with positioning and used the PPCs on the Whammy to slowly strip through the Lyran armor, but that's talking technicalities and perfect precision play. Reality is that it was a killing field for the AC/20s. Did anything survive the Atlas onslaught?
>>
>>49701949
Define "a bunch of smaller vehicles". That's a big piece of info we're missing. If it's like 20 Savannah Masters vs a heavy lance (with unclear components), that's different from that same lance fighting 6 Pattons (or Rommels, the lighter one, I forget which is which).
>>
>>49701912
>4 atlases vs WHM-6R, ARC-2R, TBT-5S, and SDR-5V
>tried to fight them off, Despite me saying, these are 100 ton death machines, you're going to want to retreat.
>they bitch whenever their characters get a boo-boo, yet constantly pick fights.

Honestly I'd have to say you're probably better off without them. Look on the bright side: you got to kick their asses into another dimension and it was all their fault.
>>
>>49701965

Harassers, Peagsi, with an SRM carrier and a Hetzer as the main teeth of the force.
>>
>>49701950
No, nothing survived. the SDR got fucked by sustained ML fire when they jumped it in close. and the TBT got hit by a couple of lucky headshots which killed the pilot.

The heavies got AC/20'd hard.

>>49701976
I mean, they're fun to play with when they aren't being dumb. But without me to be the voice of reason, they get caught up with their own dickishness and get fucked hard.
>>
>>49702007
Stand off outside the range of the Hetzer and SRM Carrier, maneuvering as necessary to maintain that distance and to try and keep the hovers off your ass. Though I'm suggesting this primarily for the Archer, the other mechs it really depends on what they are specifically. Though if the Archer is elite, than the you can more readily move and shoot anyway. And whether moving or standing still, utilizing terrain is always important.
>>
>>49702007
The heavy lance should be fine just taking best numbers and critting them into the ground, then picking them off with ranged weapons. That Archer should decimate them.

>>49702032
>No, nothing survived. the SDR got fucked by sustained ML fire when they jumped it in close
>jumped a Spider to close range against 4 Atlases
>deservedwhattheygot.webm

>the TBT got hit by a couple of lucky headshots which killed the pilot.
Ok, that's not great, the Trenchbucket was part of the heavy range force that could have ablated down the Atlases. Shame about it, really. Headcaps suck.

>The heavies got AC/20'd hard.
They closed to AC/20 range against a Whammy and Archer? Are your players retarded? They'd have to be to allow that shit.
>>
File: citytech_archer.jpg (282KB, 881x1024px) Image search: [Google]
citytech_archer.jpg
282KB, 881x1024px
>>49702158

Make sure the Archer uproots a tree before the enemy tanks get close. If they get *too* close, surge forward and let 'em have it!
>>
>>49702170
They were trying to get behind the Atlases. That's how I got them.
>>
File: red hunter.png (36KB, 592x1030px) Image search: [Google]
red hunter.png
36KB, 592x1030px
>>49701009
nice mech, had to stat it
>>
Oh the memories of piloting an Archer and the quartermaster bitching at me that I'd fired someone's pension down range when I came back with empty bins.
>>
File: bt keksus.jpg (81KB, 484x662px) Image search: [Google]
bt keksus.jpg
81KB, 484x662px
>>49702338
>tfw piloting a Bane 3
>tfw fight three Trials this morning, emptying my ammo bins each time
>tfw Clansmen are paid in work credits and not money
>tfw the lower castes only exist to provide Warriors with shit like LRMs anyway
>tfw Clan Warrior masterrace

Will you accept my batchall?
>>
I want to build a merc force descended of SLDF Royal units, sort of a la the ELH.

What would be some fun angles to take on force composition?

Anyone here done similar, and if so have any stories of your unit?
>>
>>49702569
>angles to take on force composition

Reliance on certain weapon systems or models is a common one. Signatures like using infernos to wreathe the battlefield in smoke, or heavy artillery support.

You could have some quirk where the company does a lot of on-the-job training, so most lances have a nub in a Chameleon attached on top of the normal four mechs.
>>
>>49702569
all Atlas, all orbital drops, all the time
>>
>>49703155

>tfw even elite pilots have a 50% chance of wiping out when they try this

Well, good luck.
>>
>>49703206
Do it with vees with VDCs full of convicts, for the suicidal penal legion effect.
>>
>>49704408
>Hetzers raining from the sky
oh my god yes
>>
File: destroid-monster.gif (167KB, 1000x777px) Image search: [Google]
destroid-monster.gif
167KB, 1000x777px
Is the the Monster Destroid used in BattleTech at all?
>>
File: IMG_1753.png (147KB, 537x585px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1753.png
147KB, 537x585px
>>49702488
>>
>>49702275
Players gotta learn to respect the bubble o' doom somehow.
>>
>>49704961

Nope.

Closest anything comes is the Stone Rhino/Behemoth.
>>
>>49704961
Sadly no. But I bet you could make a 200 ton quad-iHGR monster out of it.
>>
>>49704961
In the Palladium RPG it was fucking based as shit, but you'd almost never get to use one because it's slow and garbage at everything except swatting Zentradi scum out of the sky like a North Korean olympic vollyball player spiking for her life to avoid rotting in a gulag for failing to wind gold.
>>
>>49705080
Dire Wolf. Kodiak. STONE RHINO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UL1Zo9pIP4
>>
>>49706370

>Ghost Bears are Australian

OK then.
>>
>>49702275
Dealing with Spiders is an instance where rear lasers are actually nice to have. I've brought down Banshees and even an Awesome by sticking a Spider on their ass, but those butt lasers makes this a much riskier venture against an Atlas.
>>
>>49706456
Maybe they originally intended to name their clan the Drop Bears.
>>
>>49706572

Trachazoi are a thing though.
>>
>>49706572
Drop doesn't sound intimidating, but adding ghost to it makes it sound like they appear out of nowhere when they drop on their opponent.

And thus the name "ghost bear" was born.
>>
>>49690146
is that the most dangerous battle armor?
>>
>>49706794
He's just a souja.
>>
File: BD Behemoth (3).jpg (409KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
BD Behemoth (3).jpg
409KB, 1600x1200px
>>49704961

As people said, this is about as close as it gets.
>>
File: BD Behemoth (5).jpg (423KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
BD Behemoth (5).jpg
423KB, 1600x1200px
>>49706966
>>
File: BD Behemoth (7).jpg (411KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
BD Behemoth (7).jpg
411KB, 1600x1200px
>>49706971
>>
File: FR1 1600x1200.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
FR1 1600x1200.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
>>49704961
The Omega probably gets the closest, but since most Battlemechs cap at 100Tons, they fall short of the HWR-00-MkII, Which comes in at a whopping 285.5 Tons as per Macross Stats iirc

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Omega_(BattleMech)

The most comparable weight mech is the Orca at 200Tons
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Orca_(BattleMech)
>>
File: Monster.png (43KB, 647x961px) Image search: [Google]
Monster.png
43KB, 647x961px
>>49704961
You can make it, but it will be hot and slow. Like, Urbanmech slow.
But it works. I could see this used as an area-denial defensive unit, but that's about it.
>>
>>49708239
ignore the production year. I don't know why it puts it there.
>>
>>49708239
that more or less ignores what the mech's actual stats are, which would be more like... thumpers or longtoms and arrow or thunderbolt missiles.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/sdfmacross/hwr-00-mk2.htm
>>
>>49708770
To be fair, it's not like the unseen necessarily matched their progenitors either.

And if you keep within non superheavy tonnages, going full tube arty with a Monster would be pretty much impossible. Best bet for arty would to use dual AIV for the arm missiles.
>>
>>49705095
you can and i have
>>
File: destroid_monster_tech_readout.jpg (1MB, 2532x3282px) Image search: [Google]
destroid_monster_tech_readout.jpg
1MB, 2532x3282px
>>49704961
>Is the the Monster Destroid used in BattleTech at all?

I took a stab at once, but in a rare break, didn't bother to do my own artwork for it.

>>49706966
>As people said, this is about as close as it gets.

<David Lo Pan>Indeed!</David Lo Pan>
>>
>>49709019
but the arm doodads are ATM-3s not MLs
>>
>>49709439
I don't think ATM or MML were available when that was made.
>>
File: 1473196089841.jpg (14KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1473196089841.jpg
14KB, 480x270px
Battlebump
>>
What's everyone's favorite dark age machine or machines?
>>
>>49710886
The Targe
>>
>>49710886
The Atlas III.
>>
>>49710886
the Hound
>>
File: HD2F_Hound.png (196KB, 739x723px) Image search: [Google]
HD2F_Hound.png
196KB, 739x723px
>>49710886
Ain't nothin' but a hound dog
>>
anybody else noticing some image links getting weird nonfunctional urls that can be fixed by manually changing them back to the correct server name?
>>
>>49710886
Mad Cat III and Vulture mk IV
>>
>>49710886
Hound

Wulfen
>>
File: Zeus_X.jpg (442KB, 1023x1021px) Image search: [Google]
Zeus_X.jpg
442KB, 1023x1021px
>>49710886
Shit, I forgot that this thing came out.

I wanna change my answer.
>>
Greekfire
Greekfire
Greekfire
>>
>>49711095
>>49711121
>>49713151
>houndmind
What's up with that? What is it that makes the hound so popular around here?
>>
>>49710886

Ryoken III

but it looks like we'll never learn why

If we're allowed the Steiner fan TRO, then that hovercraft with the iHGR.

>>49713376

Whatever shit you're up to, stop it.
>>
>>49713673
It's BV cheap, has a bunch of armor, and a gun for every range. It can flak, punch holes, critseek, use infernos, and PSR at 18 hexes if you roll well.

Plus the fluff and art is charming.
>>
>>49713686
>The Greek's holding out on us
Figures
>>
>>49710886
Probably the Hellbringer II. It's an amazing unit for setting up a base of fire and drawing fire in return because everyone sees 40 tons of pod space and craps their pants. Meanwhile, I've moved lighter/less threatening units to your flanks.
>>
Make the hurting on the official forums stop. More BattleTech less FanWank.

My Dark Ages pick is the Gun.
>>
>>49714606
>More BattleTech less FanWank.

Oh christ, what is it this time?
>>
>>49713673
Its just a damn fine mech. Fits a variety of roles, compliments just about any heavy lance, tough as a brick, good quirks and most importantly of all, dirt fucking cheap on both BV and C-Bills

Its basically a bigger badder vindicator.
>>
File: DSCN1160.jpg (706KB, 900x729px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1160.jpg
706KB, 900x729px
>>49710886
I love the Atlas III, and the DA mini is superior to the IWM in every way
>>
>>49713861

I have no idea what retarded feud you have with "the Greek"/Greekfire or why you need to bring it to btg, and I don't care. I'm not him. Stop being a giant shitposting faggot.

I'm not "holding out" on anything either, I'm referring to the tailspin that CGL are in and the decreasing likelihood that ilClan will ever be released.
>>
>>49714782
>>49711083

But the Atlas III is shit. It has weak guns, and the shields, while making it a bit tougher, make the arm weapons even worse.

Someone here tried to defend it once by saying "well you don't want your commander getting stuck into the fight anyway", implying that it's crap on purpose and that's a good thing. Didn't buy it then, won't buy it now.
>>
>>49714802
Actually, we need Greekfire because he submitted some designs to the TRO, and we want his opinion for art, rather than drawing it like a Chaffee proto.
>>
>>49714903
>protos in the TRO
aw shit nigga you've been holding out on us

>>49714740
What isn't it on the OF?
>>
>>49714836

A: If it bothers you that much, put your commander in a Clan-modded Devastator with Boosted C3. Or a Dire Wolf. Or Hellstar, or any one of the many, many dangerous rides the FedSuns already has, and which nobody will ever catch up to for variety or raw numbers.

B: It actually *is* a good command 'Mech. It has enough firepower to meaningfully contribute without being so dangerous that the enemy will drop everything and target it, especially given the armour and the shields. Oh, and the shields are set up so that you can protect your short-range arsenal at a distance, and your ranged weapons in close.
>>
>>49714903
Aw, i guess a lack of follow up emails about art means my shitmechs didnt make the cut.

Then again they were shitmechs
>>
>>49714978
Hey, you know what ACTUALLY makes a good command mech from the 3145 TROs?
The Zeus X.
>>
/btg/, I need your advice.

My brother is offering to get me anything I want for BT.

What should I get? I only have the introbox set and a bunch of manuals on pdf.
>>
File: Jackalope.jpg (40KB, 515x707px) Image search: [Google]
Jackalope.jpg
40KB, 515x707px
>>49710886
yours will not be a proud death
>>
Who here would be interested in an Armored Core mod for classic battletech?
>>
>>49715024

>in b4 but it has less damaging guns and less Clan tech than the Atlas III, therefore it's shit and worthless for commanders

>>49715047

One book? The old Star League SB is the hardest to find and most expensive thing I know of, may as well get him to fork over for that.

Being more reasonable I would suggest Total Warfare (.pdf is fine), one of the Starter books (again, .pdf is fine) and the boxed 'Mechs for each side in the starter book so you can play the scenarios together.
>>
>>49715013
We're working on art in batches, not all at once. So a design of his has come up in the list of stuff to work on, and we want to talk about it, rather than spitting out my idea, the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

>>49715073
AC4 and later are shit. Speedmech fights are boring as fuck. Chromehounds a best.
>>
>>49714740

The crying/arguing over Ben Rome and the usual idiots arguing over the future of the game.
>>
File: 458px-Triton.jpg.png (309KB, 458x599px) Image search: [Google]
458px-Triton.jpg.png
309KB, 458x599px
>>49715086

>my idea, the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

You mean the Triton?
>>
>>49715160
Yes, but goofier. Possibly with Rodan wings. But I've been overruled, and Muninn and 3A want "quality" art.
>>
>>49715173
>not making it GOJIRA
come on, man
>>
>>49715270

You mean the Delphyne?
>>
>>49715270
If I had my druthers, we'd be going full Valley of the Gwangi or Jason and the Argonauts. But I do want to make protos look better too.
>>
File: sholagar_escorting_unseen.jpg (65KB, 800x178px) Image search: [Google]
sholagar_escorting_unseen.jpg
65KB, 800x178px
>>49709515
>I don't think ATM or MML were available when that was made.

That's right. This (>>49709019) could have been no later than 1993.
>>
>>49716385
> Feb 5, 91
Fuck me running, you drew that on the day I was born. What a weird coincidence here on /btg/
>>
>>49715328

Was it FD or shimmy who did those reseen proto sketches? Those were sexy as hell.
>>
File: protomechs.png (863KB, 2635x900px) Image search: [Google]
protomechs.png
863KB, 2635x900px
>>49716462
Want to say it was FD. Certainly looks like his style. The version of have looks a bit grainy, anyone have a higher res version of these?

I know it gets said every time these are brought up, but I'd love to see these in miniature form. They could even fluff it easily without getting rid of the old designs - just say the clanners tried the scary monster thing, it wasn't worth the resources used on robot cosplay, so they switched manufacturing to more functional forms in later production.

Or, you know, go the nuseen route and say they always looked like this, that's fine too.
>>
>>49716570
They are FD's, yes. But redoing them would require FD to be free more than he is, and for him to draw shit less samey.
>>
File: locust_griffin&stalker.jpg (72KB, 800x204px) Image search: [Google]
locust_griffin&stalker.jpg
72KB, 800x204px
>>49716435
>Feb 5, 91

I was sitting in government class at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, TX. We were learning about the state legislature here in Texas.
>>
>>49716583

Maybe he doesn't have to do it himself but someone can seriously step up to fix those. At least with his versions it gives some ideas with where to go.
>>
First timer over here. A co-worker invited me and a few friends to play this today. We played some 2 v 2s and It wasn't really that exciting. Is the campaigning rpg aspect more engaging than the simulation matches?
>>
>>49716781

If you found the game slow and clunky I get that. It's somewhat alleviated as players get more familiar with the rules but BT is one of the more crunchy games. That can be a bit of a killer and comes down to personal taste.

IME the excitement comes from having stories to tell about this or that absurd result. The more you play, the more of those stories you collect and get to see happen.
>>
>>49716435
Wow, I was born on the same fucking day except six years prior.
>>
File: bt flowchart.jpg (115KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bt flowchart.jpg
115KB, 600x1000px
>>49716922
Experience definitely speeds up the game.
>>
>>49716601
>I was sitting in government class at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, TX
I was doing the same thing, except fifteen years later.
>>
>>49716922
>IME the excitement comes from having stories to tell about this or that absurd result

This. It's actually kind of similar to, of all things, Mordheim in that way.
>>
>>49719499
This is why I like getting new players into MegaMek. I can explain things as I go along, getting the players into learning the system while the game does pretty much everything for them. That way they can learn tactics without everything bogging down for rulebook scouring.
>>
>>49720793
Another good thing is that you can go back and look at anything that happened to see what the cause and result were.
>>
>>49719653

Fucking Mordheim and its stupid-ass Leadership tests.

Blood Bowl is worse though.

>Spend entire game carefully avoiding getting shat on by invincible Dwarves with my Skaven, their armour and strength and bonus on injury rolls is bullshit
>Score is 0-0
>4 turns left, time to make my move
>Shuffle down field, using block zones to prevent Dwarves from chasing
>Perfect execution, no Dwarves can reach the ball carrier
>Need to roll a 2 or more on Go For It to win
>Fail
>Re-roll
>Fail
>Gutter Runner with 4 levels trips over and kills himself
>whole team relies on him, burn Apothecary re-roll
>hesdeadjim.jpeg
>REEEEEEE
>>
>>49720793
But they don't actually learn the game then. Fully half of the game is learning the modifiers and memorizing them.
>>
>>49720919
Megamek spells out all the modifiers though, which makes it very easy to see what a TN for a shot is, and why it is what it is.

Now, whether the players pay attention to that is another matter, but that's probably on place where the explaining part anon mentioned comes into play, ie "PAY ATTENTION TO THAT SHIT".
>>
>>49721069
Said Anon here, exactly. Even in the intro familiarization game we played, I was doing equal parts "hey, here's how you do this with the interface" and "so, here's how your actions affect your to-hit and/or piloting rolls". Tactical geniuses they might not be, but they're all gamers and telling them to "GIT GUD" while explaining how to do so can go a long ways.
>>
>>49721164
「Gator」and「pator」have worked wonders for me ehen it comes to teaching.
>>
File: blood_bowl_bob_and_jim.jpg (72KB, 370x435px) Image search: [Google]
blood_bowl_bob_and_jim.jpg
72KB, 370x435px
>>49720811
>Blood Bowl is worse though.

Jim: Finally! There's one who lets his biceps do the talking!
Bob: Yeah... but from his opponent's point of view, it was a short conversation!
>>
File: uncle_als_large.jpg (175KB, 1280x841px) Image search: [Google]
uncle_als_large.jpg
175KB, 1280x841px
>>49716922
>BT is one of the more crunchy games. That can be a bit of a killer and comes down to personal taste.

Indeed! In fact, that's what draws some people *to* the game. Battletech isn't the only one!
>>
>>49722132
>Battletech isn't the only one!
Yeah, but car wars is pretty much the only other game that I'd be reasonably willing to describe as being in the same class as Battletech. It's a rare breed
>>
>>49715047
Campaign Operations, maybe
>>
>>49715047
A cheap tablet so you can have all the PDFs at your fingertips, even at the table?
>>
so the tg TRO never gor made did it.
>>
>>49725993
nigga what
>>
>>49725993
Are you talking about Space Poland? Because that's still a work in progress.
>>
>>49725993
It's still in production.

Space Poland is also still being produced, slowly though. I don't see much chatter about it these days. Hope it's still happening, it was pretty sweet and inspired me to start work on a small periphery realm that uses Heliopoli as their primary heavy mech.
>>
>>49715083
>>49723974
>>49724558
What about getting new mechs? How do I do that? My hobby shops all closed down here.

Do they sell like booster packs of mech minis? How do I get more? Again all I have are the intro 24.
>>
>>49726147
>>49726231
What's this Space Poland thing you're talking about? Been away for a while.

>>49725993
see OP under
>/btg/ does a TRO:
And remember to remove the (not spam) part. There's a preview TRO up there, though it was like 6 months ago.
>>
>>49726448
We've been throwing around ideas for a periphery state based sort of on Poland.
>>
>>49714978

So let's look at your arguments:

A: This boils down to "I concede that it's not great (and here's some mechs that are actually good)".

B: This is the thing about it being deliberately weak that I already dismissed. It's a non-argument. You could use it for anything - "My sniper isn't all that good, but that's so it won't be targetted" and "My backstabber is kinda crap but that's so it gets dismissed as a threat and can sneak into range". None of these are valid because you can just have good mechs for everything.

Your analysis of shield use is also mistaken. Up close you want your up-close weapons protected, and at distance you want your long range weapons protected, so you can fight back at the range in which you're currently engaged without being stripped. It's no use having all your brawling gear destroyed by a knifefighter and saying "Welp, at least I could shoot back at him effectively if he was a long way away!"
>>
>>49726448
>What's this Space Poland thing you're talking about

Old white men with no imagination doing the "let's take something historical and make it Battletech" type worldbuilding.

It'll be the usual shit: hussars, strzelcy, guys with axes (hatchets), dashing cavalry charges, neo-feudal organization, and extra care taken not to make the society actually good at anything so it doesn't get called Mary Sue fanwank.
>>
>>49728805
>extra care taken not to make the society actually good at anything so it doesn't get called Mary Sue fanwank.

Existing as a non-canon expansion to the game universe makes it mary sue fanwank by definition. Nothing anyone can do or say can change that, so the people doing it might as well accept the fact that it's gonna get called mary-sue regardless, and make the society good at doing some things and shit at others so there's a reason to play it.

With that said, you can fuck right off with the rest of your post. At least they're trying to build something that hasn't been done in BT before and is original, fuck, the fact that they're actually developing new content makes them better than the actual company.
>>
>>49728760

>Your analysis of shield use is also mistaken. Up close you want your up-close weapons protected, and at distance you want your long range weapons protected, so you can fight back at the range in which you're currently engaged without being stripped.

I'm not even going to bother with the rest of your post because this right here distills the problem.

The game simply doesn't work that way and what you expect is impossible.

The problem here is you, not the Atlas III.
>>
>>49729205
Aye, but there's a difference between "lol spew half-cocked ideas and say it should be canon" and people with reasonable sense and a guiding idea of something interesting checking each other while playing within reasonable limits. Everything I've seen about it points to the latter, while prior fuckwad anon can't tell the difference from the former.
>>
File: battletech_assault_lance.jpg (322KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
battletech_assault_lance.jpg
322KB, 1600x1200px
>>49726349
>What about getting new mechs? How do I do that? My hobby shops all closed down here.

Bummer. Where do you play, then?

>Do they sell like booster packs of mech minis?

Yes (pic related). You can also buy them one-at-a-time if you can find them that way.

>How do I get more?

You're here on 4chan, so you obviously have the Internet where you live. Use it.

Buy them, or printout pictures and make cardboard stand-ups of the ones you don't have.

>Again all I have are the intro 24.

That's a pretty sweet start, m8. All my old Battletech sets came with cardboard stand-ups. Battledroids didn't even go that far!
>>
File: old_battledroids_counters.jpg (364KB, 1600x956px) Image search: [Google]
old_battledroids_counters.jpg
364KB, 1600x956px
>>49729945
>All my old Battletech sets came with cardboard stand-ups.

I shouldn't say "all" ... one of my later sets did come with the plastic versions of Ral Partha's Unseen models.

>Battledroids didn't even go that far!

We got two small-scale Dougram models and some pictures printed on glossy paper (pic related) that we were supposed to cut out and make cardboard stand-ups with.
>>
>>49725993
Still making progress, just got 4 sketches back from Plog and sending off some more commissions soon. I really need to update the blog...
>>
>>49730379
>I really need to update the blog...

Which I have now done.

http://builtforwar.blog (spam filter) spot.com.au/2016/10/project-update-ii-back-in-neurohelmet.html
>>
>>49730719
>>49730379
glad to see you back :)
>>
File: DA Shadow Cat.jpg (235KB, 860x660px) Image search: [Google]
DA Shadow Cat.jpg
235KB, 860x660px
don't mind me, just posting Plog
>>
File: DA Cyclops.jpg (193KB, 860x660px) Image search: [Google]
DA Cyclops.jpg
193KB, 860x660px
>>49731166
>>
File: qt Black Lanner.jpg (251KB, 800x614px) Image search: [Google]
qt Black Lanner.jpg
251KB, 800x614px
>>49731183
>>
>>49731183
I generally dont like the DA designs but the cyclopes looks p nice here
>>
Can someone explain to me what Recon cameras are actually good for?
>>
>>49732186
Primarily good for finding hidden units with aircraft.

>The Recon Camera has limited visual range (18 kilometers at best), and so is useful only in Low Altitude operations over the mapsheet (or on it). A unit with a Recon Camera can use it to act as a spotter for LRM Indirect Fire (see p. 111, TW) as if it were a TAG (see p. 142, TW), but cannot use it to designate targets for other TAG-guided weapons, such as semi-guided LRMs, laser-guided bombs and Arrow IV artillery missiles. Furthermore, in any turn where an airborne Recon Camera passes over a hex containing a hidden unit hostile to the camera unit’s force, the hidden unit’s controlling player must roll 2D6 and reveal the position of the unit on a result of 9+
>>
File: polyphemus_tech_readout.jpg (743KB, 1280x1659px) Image search: [Google]
polyphemus_tech_readout.jpg
743KB, 1280x1659px
>>49732186
>Recon cameras

Half a ton and takes up a space? Darn it... I thought this thing was actually going to do some good. Actually... I guess I could mess with the numbers a bit. It is all in pencil anyway...
>>
File: Epimetheus.png (603KB, 779x880px) Image search: [Google]
Epimetheus.png
603KB, 779x880px
>>49732659
Your Polyphemus is shit. Greek mechs must be SILLY, not useful.
>>
>>49706966
that thing's got no knees
>>
>>49732899
You'll have your stilted legs and like them damnit. At least it has hips.
>>
>>49732659
The info in >>49732313 is slightly out of date I think. Specifically recon cameras can spot for indirect fire and don't face any penalties when firing other weapons. So a bit niche, but certainly can be useful, particularly in a pre TAG environment.
>>
>>49733047
yeah, there may've been errata issued since I pestered Xotl about them a while ago.
>>
How come some versions of the Zeus have those shoulder fin things and others don't?
>>
>>49734089
Zeus-X has the fins, IIRC.
>>
Bored and feel like designing some mechs. Post art from other franchises, your favorite artist, a contest entry, whatever. Basically looking for new breath into BT art that i can make stats for.
>>
>>49734658
make a GM
>>
>>49710886
Do you mean dark age era, or dark age clickytech?
>>
>>49734671
The panther's basically a jim already.
>>
>>49734658
My first choice was to say "make a Tallgeese", but then I realized dude's basically a bigger hollander with a sword and shield

Make the Alt Eisen
>>
>>49734671
A what now?

>>49736217
>>49734671
Post art, not names.
>>
>>49710886
Wendigo, Zeus-X, Scourge, Havoc, Juliano, Carronade, these are all machines I'm really fond of. Too many fun machines to pick from.
>>
File: 1336026271329.jpg (482KB, 1250x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1336026271329.jpg
482KB, 1250x1050px
>>49736334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbnmwgXm5zM

Here's the Alt Eisen in action
>>
>>49736530
weeb shitters pls go
>>
File: Alteisen-mech.gif (26KB, 700x1174px) Image search: [Google]
Alteisen-mech.gif
26KB, 700x1174px
>>49736217
Not him, but I've given it a crack before.
>>
Noob here
I want to make a 3049-ish FWL lance
I was thinking something like a SHD-7M, a FRF-3M, a Swayback and the evergreen AWS-8Q
What would you suggest to make the group more all-rounder?

Also, I wish the Rocket Launchers were present in earlier eras, they seem quite useful
>>
>>49737142

The two most Marik machines I can think of to round it out are a Wolverine-M or Orion.
>>
File: 1268497080693.jpg (12KB, 275x251px) Image search: [Google]
1268497080693.jpg
12KB, 275x251px
>>49737142
>FRF-3M
A whatnow?
>>
>>49737293
I meant GRF, the Griffin
>>
>>49737293

I think he means GRF-3M.
>>
>>49737142
>SHD-7M, a FRF-3M
I'm assuming you mean SHD-5M and GRF-3M? Since the Shad 7M doesn't exist until the 3060s, and there's nothing with an FRF code.

As for going more all rounder, I'd say ditch the Awesome since it's the odd mech out in weight and speed, and you're already got a good amount of long range long range power with the Griffin and Shadow Hawk. If you do want something bigger to go with them, consider an Orion, which is both full of FWL flavor and also an all rounder that can keep pace with the swayback.
>>
>>49737392
Gotcha
Which Orion would you suggest?
Also I guess the twin SRM6 Hunchie would be a better choice?
>>
>>49737516
For all round purposes stick with the 1K or 1M given your time frame. I'm not overly fond of the 1M though, or most upgraded Orions. It's one of those mechs that really just needs a straightforward upgrade that it's never gotten.

As for HBK, if you want the SRMs go for it, but I see no real issue in sticking with the medium laser murder machine.
>>
File: Orions.png (115KB, 1322x1876px) Image search: [Google]
Orions.png
115KB, 1322x1876px
>>49737861
Too lazy to crop out the PPC one, though that's an easy 3050 upgrade anyway.
>>
File: Orion 2G.png (40KB, 651x938px) Image search: [Google]
Orion 2G.png
40KB, 651x938px
>>49737903
Ah fuck posted the wrong one. Guess I'll find it later, and post the simplest Orion of the 3050s.
>>
File: Orion 2Q.png (40KB, 648x941px) Image search: [Google]
Orion 2Q.png
40KB, 648x941px
>>49737924
Or if you want one with a Gauss.
>>
File: laser show.gif (483KB, 324x216px) Image search: [Google]
laser show.gif
483KB, 324x216px
>>49737861
>the medium laser murder machine

The Discoback is one of the greatest creations in BT.
>>
>>49739591
Dat heat doe.

Seriously never used one with out shutting myself down.
>>
>>49739733
I've always had good luck with the Discoback, but I usually save the really big lightshows for situations where it's absolutely, positively necessary to do it. I usually just march right up to an enemy, fire the torso and head lasers into him, then give him the ol' one-two with fists. This has killed more giant enemy murder machines than I can remember.
>>
>>49739591
>Nova Cat trial of position.gif
>>
Question about megamek:
How do you use clubs? I've spent a turn finding a club only for it to have disappeared.

Also does megamek support picking up blown off limbs to use as clubs?
>>
File: going clubbing.jpg (69KB, 565x460px) Image search: [Google]
going clubbing.jpg
69KB, 565x460px
>>49740446
You can definitely pick up clubs (stand in a woods hex, then in the fire phase select "find a club") but I've never had them disappear on me. You can only hit someone with a tree once before it breaks.

And yes, you can pick up a limb and clobber someone with it. A limb doesn't break with one hit, either.
>>
>>49740446
Oh, and forgot to add: you club someone in the physical attack phase on the next round, just like you'd do with a hatchet.
>>
>>49737142
Rocket Launchers suffer heavily from the penalty to hit. Can't remember if they have a cluster table penalty as well, since the first one is bad enough.
>>
>>49741093
it's just a +1 to-hit.
Well, that and not very optimal ranges.
>>
What does a PPC look like to you? Working on sketches with Plog and trying to nail down in my head what says "PPC" vs "large laser" vs "Plasma Rifle" vs anything else.
>>
File: RL10 charger.png (49KB, 745x609px) Image search: [Google]
RL10 charger.png
49KB, 745x609px
>>49737142
>>49741093

Rocket launchers, you say?
>>
>>49741688
>7 slots not filled with rockets

amateur
>>
File: Lord's Light PPC.jpg (208KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Lord's Light PPC.jpg
208KB, 1280x1024px
>>49741678
Something like this. This actually looks a lot like the PPC in that Timber Wolf gun pod cutaway in Mechwarrior 2nd Edition. Add a cooling jacket round the barrel if you like.
>>
Who in-universe thought that the Wyvern IIC was a good idea? It was shit before, and it's shit now.
>>
>>49741093
Only prototype RL have the cluster penalty, IIRC.
>>
>>49741678
I've always thought of arm-mounted PPCs as generally having long, not especially thick barrels that don't narrow at any point and have a minimum of greebles, while LLs are shorter and greeblier, with wider bores.
Torso-wise, they're pretty much all just apatures
>>
>>49741678
>PPC
no lens, no open barrel unless it's a Donal. Basically, what Plog does
>LL
Just put a lens on it
>plasma rifle
It looks like an energy weapon, but you put a ballistics-looking barrel on it, maybe blacken the muzzle to show the heat of the thing.
>>
>>49741678
medium length, fat cooling jacket around barrel, with a concave cone at the end instead of a lens or bore hole
>>
>>49741758

It's good for city fighting but the Clans are supposed to hate that.

A Crab IIC would have made a shit ton more sense, that was intended to be the standard Medium of the SLDF.
>>
>>49729419

Nice attempt at dodging.

Essentially all you've done here is concede that the shields can't do anything useful. Nor have you even tried to defend your earlier (false) argument that the shields were substantially useful. I'm well aware that shields suck - remember that you're the one trying to say that the Atlas III is good because of them.

As for "not even going to bother with the rest of your post" - that's because you don't have an argument. You know it. I know it. You're trying to save face while running away. I had thought that even if you were wrong, at least you were arguing in good faith. It's clear now though that you're gutless OF-tier trash. Disagree? Then answer the arguments instead of scuttling away behind a cloud of damage control chaff.
>>
File: eurydice_tech_readout_s.jpg (822KB, 1280x1661px) Image search: [Google]
eurydice_tech_readout_s.jpg
822KB, 1280x1661px
>>49732699
>Greek mechs must be SILLY, not useful.

Get on my level, anon.
>>
>>49745288

Man, a cocksucker mech. That's a first.
>>
File: lol.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>49745319
>>
File: orpheus_tech_readout.jpg (747KB, 1280x1659px) Image search: [Google]
orpheus_tech_readout.jpg
747KB, 1280x1659px
>>49745319
>Man, a cocksucker mech. That's a first.

*He* (>>49732699) threw down the gauntlet.
>>
Mech Design Challenge, featuring fluffy reasons behind it:

Design a Clan medium battlemech, circa 3052, that punches above its weight and has two variants for two Clans.

The fluff is that before the battle of Luthien, during the Nova Cat/Smoke Jaguar detente, losses from IS raiders and having to occupy worlds have forced both Clans to bring more troops from the homeworlds to supplement their frontline forces.

So their scientists get together to design a second line mech that will free up omnimechs to join frontline units.

While both groups agree on minimizing ammunition dependency (Cats for muh lasers and Jags because only "real warriors deserve autocannon shells and gauss rounds"), each goes its own way in a variant.

So design a unique variant for the Cats and Jags respectively. It needs to be a heavy hitting medium, 50 or 55 tons, as logistically light a footprint as possible, and tend to the needs of second line clusters in each Clan as you'd view they'd be. The inspiration comes slightly from the Watchman and Sentry.
>>
Does the Hellstar even have enough criticals to actually use 30 double heat sinks it supposedly has?
>>
>>49746150
...yes?
Clan doubles are smaller, recall, and you can hide a lot in the engine
>>
File: heilstar.jpg (95KB, 612x507px) Image search: [Google]
heilstar.jpg
95KB, 612x507px
>>49746150
Yes.
>>
>>49746206
clan endo-steel uses less crits?
>>
>>49746239
Yes. Same for Clan Ferro-fibrous. And Clan XL engines. And some Clan Weapons.

Clantech, bruh.
>>
>>49746239
Yes. It uses half as many, same as CFF.
>>
>>49745256

>Essentially all you've done here is concede that the shields can't do anything useful.

Shields literally don't even work the way you want them to.

In inactive mode, they protect the arm and apply a +1 to-hit mod for arm-mounted weapons. In passive mode, they protect the arm and adjacent torso with a +2 to-hit mod. In active mode, they protect the arm, leg, adjacent torso and centre torso but nothing in those locations can fire.

The weapons are distributed so as to protect the ranged array and leave the close array open and vice versa.

So you don't know shit about the mechanics behind it, and your entire argument is bitching that your faction didn't get a machine as good as you think they should have.

Well, guess what? Nobody else has as good a selection as the FedSuns any way. If you really need a Gausswall design, go get your Devastator or Nightstar. If you really need a finely-tuned energy boat, go get your Warlord or Hellstar.

The Suns /already/ has the kind of 'Mechs you want the Atlas III to have been. What it doesn't have is a pain in the ass to kill command machine.

>It's clear now though that you're gutless OF-tier trash. Disagree? Then answer the arguments instead of scuttling away behind a cloud of damage control chaff.

kek. Not knowing how the rules work and whining about the Suns never getting nice things? Yeah, one of us should probably go back to the OF, but it's not me.
>>
>>49746239
I know, right? Clan ES was introduced only 26 years ago, you didn't had the time to learn its rules
>>
>>49746317
You'd be surprised what some people just don't realize. At one point I played with someone who just didn't realize not all clan mechs were omnis.
>>
>>49746431

It triggers my autism when people refer to the standard version of second-line machines as the "Prime" and variants of it as "Configurations."

Bonus points: I'm not autistic.

Bonus bonus points: The article of the week things on the OF have been doing this a lot.
>>
File: apollon_tech_readout.jpg (741KB, 1280x1659px) Image search: [Google]
apollon_tech_readout.jpg
741KB, 1280x1659px
>>49746509
>It triggers my autism when people refer to the standard version of second-line machines as the "Prime" and variants of it as "Configurations."

So, if I do this on purpose for >>49745618's design challenge, you'll flip your shit?

What am I saying... I'm not that kinda guy. We have enough of that already here on 4chan.
>>
>>49746574
he looks like he's pooping
>>
>>49746509
I actually kinda feel like it's the kind of misnomer that would actually happen in-universe, kinda like the clips-magazines thing
>>
File: Stalking Felines.png (82KB, 1376x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Stalking Felines.png
82KB, 1376x1224px
>>49746574

What's with all the U-A/C-5s?

>>49745618

Jag version has a heavier single hit weapon at range but the MPL array encourages closing to rend and tear.

Cat version emphasises ranged kiting with some EW gear to help forces that are very light on such equipment.
>>
>>49746823
>What's with all the U-A/C-5s?

It was an exciting new weapon available to the Inner Sphere when c. 1992.
>>
This talk about PPCs reminds me of one of my pet peeves in BT - the fact that 'Mechs fling ionising radiation around like it ain't no thang. No wonder Grayson Death Carlyle got cancer.
>>
>>49748695
Pretty sure the magnetic shielding required to safely operate a fusion reactor would also cause health issues. Not to mention all the rampant EMP and EWAR stuff that's just a part of the lore as to why weapon ranges are so short.
>>
Thread is dead, post your favorite BT fan art. trying to rebuild my folders
>>
File: 1247204885796.jpg (546KB, 900x1127px) Image search: [Google]
1247204885796.jpg
546KB, 900x1127px
>>49749445
I like the Hunchback
>>
>>49749689
Eww skinny arms
>>
Megamek games need more Mackies. More mechs in general need dickguns.
>>
File: we wuz samurai and shiet.jpg (23KB, 430x403px) Image search: [Google]
we wuz samurai and shiet.jpg
23KB, 430x403px
Is playing Dracs basically admitting to playing as the bad guys?

Cuz most of their 'mechs seem like bad guy mook mechs for the heroes to knock down.
>>
>>49751208
>Is playing Dracs basically admitting to playing as the bad guys?

Well, yeah.

The Smoke 'dindu' Jaguars were supposed to replace them as the regular bad guy mooks but it turned out there was already too big of a fanbase for the dishonorabbu curry slants and they couldn't go with their replacement plan.
>>
>>49751208

No, it's the Federated Suns.

That's why the storyline has been about them losing since 3028 and why they keep getting shit 'Mechs like the Atlas III.

But really it's the Dracs. Which would be fine if it was an RPG and they were supposed to be like orcs or drow and just existed as foils for PCs. But BT's meant to be a war game, and when 3/5 of the factions repeatedly get shat on in the TRs it causes balance issues for the factions. At least in games like 40K it comes and goes in waves with editions and codex creep, with BT it's pretty monotonous.
>>
File: skeptical smoke nig.png (31KB, 409x286px) Image search: [Google]
skeptical smoke nig.png
31KB, 409x286px
>>49751301
>Smoke 'dindu' Jaguars

AYO HOL UP
>*smacks lips*
What youse tryin' to say is
>*stirs up Crusader movement*
What you spheroid bois is saying
>*breathes heavily through gaped teeth*
That we Clanners can
>*invades Draconis Combine*
That we can like get sum
>*bombs Turtle Bay*
Get sum of that you saying that
>*bids poorly for Luthien*
Some finna
>*lands first on Tukayyid*
Hol up so u be sayin is
>*loses first on Tukayyid*
That this little white Spheroid hurr
AAAAAAAAAYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AYYYOOO
>*smacks lips profusely*
SO HOL UP HOL UP
>*burns down villages*
SO U BE SAYIN
>*induces famines on occupied worlds*
SO HOL UP U BE SAYIN
>*blames Wolves*
AAAYYYOOO SO U BE SAYIN
>*succumbs to Jaffray fiat*
U BE SAYIN
>*fights trials for resources*
HOL UP HOL UP
>*passes over qualified officers for hyper-aggressive ones*
AYYYOO U BE SAYIN
>*builds totem mech without torso to twist*
SO U BE SAYIN
*captures Jade Falcon freeborn for silly LAM adventures*
HOL UP SO U BE SAYIN
*dies to Victor and Friends*
WE GON BE
*dindu.nuffins*
THE STAR LEAGUE?
>>
>>49748721

Magnetic shielding wouldnt do much considering the main radiation danger is from neutrons. Of course they also claim the reactors can run on protium rather than deuterium or tritium so they might as well be magic.
>>
>>49751601

We can safely call them magic based on anything from their size, mass, or energy output any way.
>>
>>49751595
We wuz SLDF
>>
File: 1314895730582.jpg (276KB, 800x1035px) Image search: [Google]
1314895730582.jpg
276KB, 800x1035px
>>49749445
>favorite BT fan art

Sure. This pic has practically all of my favorite things in it: a Clan heavy mech, an elemental, and my fursona.
>>
>>49749445
>>
File: 10833-Mech_NovaCat_super.jpg (26KB, 358x450px) Image search: [Google]
10833-Mech_NovaCat_super.jpg
26KB, 358x450px
>>49753794
>>
File: 1354323518043.jpg (266KB, 2048x1605px) Image search: [Google]
1354323518043.jpg
266KB, 2048x1605px
>>49753809
>>
>>49753824
>>
File: 1369993166617.jpg (244KB, 876x1016px) Image search: [Google]
1369993166617.jpg
244KB, 876x1016px
>>49753837
>>
File: 1378422550108.jpg (1MB, 2588x1728px) Image search: [Google]
1378422550108.jpg
1MB, 2588x1728px
>>49753852
>>
File: 1362086118394.png (714KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1362086118394.png
714KB, 1000x1500px
>>49753868
>>
File: 1368443289579.jpg (246KB, 871x900px) Image search: [Google]
1368443289579.jpg
246KB, 871x900px
>>49753933
>>
>>49752297
AN SHIET
>>
>>49752664

I think you have finally supplanted Herb as someone whose entire existence I hate.
>>
>>49690095
Kind of new to this, where do you guys buy your miniatures?
>>
>>49756231
IWM for mechs, GHQ for vees (proxying Cold War micro armor stuff for BT vees)
>>
>>49756231
For new releases that aren't IWM online store exclusives (superheavies, archived figures and the like), I go to FRP games. They don't have absolutely everything, but they get the new releases and have a decent catalog, and shipping isn't bad.
>>
Did any mercs that served the WoB survive the Jihad or get granted amnesty?

I know some individual Blakists were given amnesty and allowed to join the RAF and maybe some other factions, but any units as a whole spared that didn't flee?
>>
>>49758153
I doubt it. You either ran or you died.
>>
I wanna spam missiles and dakka. What to look at after I buy the intro box?
>>
Alright /BTG/ tell me about your favorite mech A E S T H E T I C S and what models just look good to you. Why those?
>>
File: warhammer_by_punakettu.jpg (310KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
warhammer_by_punakettu.jpg
310KB, 1600x1200px
>>49758313
Warhammer, when someone says the word 'Mech' it's the first thing I visualize every time.

It's also my mechfu
>>
>>49752664
I am legit upset at not so much the furshit, but the shit art. Maybe if you erased the anthro, it would look better?
>>
File: 3025 Marauder1.jpg (48KB, 381x514px) Image search: [Google]
3025 Marauder1.jpg
48KB, 381x514px
>>49758313

Marauder. Really, all of the Robotech/Dougram-sourced mechs, aside from the Osts. Japanese art at the time was just intrinsically better than US-sourced art. That's changed since, obviously, but at the time it was no less true.
>>
>>49758153
>RAF

I kind of like the fluff for the faction but I hate their military set up. Nowhere near as cool as the regiments of the the Successor States and even periphery states.
>>
File: 160px-RVN-3L.png (55KB, 160x297px) Image search: [Google]
160px-RVN-3L.png
55KB, 160x297px
>>49758313
I'm a huge sucker for the Raven. That and the Highlander.
>>
>>49751208
Yes. The problem is all the Drac players who think they're playing the good guys.
>>
>>49758661
How are they any different?
>>
>>49759008
We are the good guys.
>>
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54989.0

Post questions for Randall
>>
>>49759257

If you were you'd have better mechs.
>>
>>49759257
There are no good guys.
>>
>>49759008

That doesn't bother me so much. It's more that, like Abaddon the Despoiler the Dracs are simultaneously a grave threat to Team Good Guy yet also such literal retards that they could never even understand what a paper bag is, much less plot or fight their way out of one.

You want to have a one-dimensional villain faction? I think it's shallow, but at least make them a credible threat. Don't show them being repeatedly unable to do anything right and in the same breath claim that they're something the good guys need to fear.

>>49759368

>There are no good guys.

He said, ignoring the blatant set-up for the 3020s and the entire game that followed it.
>>
>>49759277

"Why do you continue to knowingly employ criminals in your company?"
>>
>>49759532

"Because they're my friends. And also because fuck you."

I would ask something about line developers and concrete plans for the next twelve months since "we're fixing BattleCorps/BattleShop" and "ilClan" both seem to have imploded.
>>
>>49745618
>Design a Clan medium battlemech, circa 3052, that punches above its weight and has two variants for two Clans.

OK.

>Nova Cat/Smoke Jaguar
>both Clans

Got it.

>So their scientists get together to design a second line mech that will free up omnimechs to join frontline units.

So, no Omnimechs. OK.

>While both groups agree on minimizing ammunition dependency

"The referees have shut down the long-range weapons systems. No more missiles, cannons, or lasers. Now, it's just man-to-man."

>So design a unique variant for the Cats and Jags respectively. It needs to be a heavy hitting medium, 50 or 55 tons, as logistically light a footprint as possible, and tend to the needs of second line clusters in each Clan as you'd view they'd be.

Just in time for this thread to sage off the end of the board. I think I'm going to have to do something different with these, as there is a lot more that needs to be on them than there was in 1992...
>>
>>49759239
The thing with mixed up Roman named units, few interesting lineages, everything being under strength mixed units, muh Knights that funnily feel like a ripoff of Masters' crew, etc.

I like their tech, a lot of the characters, the government and a lot of their faction fluff, but their military formations just feel uninspired and flat.
>>
>>49759710
>but their military formations just feel uninspired and flat.

Your mum is flat.
>>
>>49759727
Dad loved the DFC, what can I say?
>>
>>49759744

pedo
>>
>>49758535
This all the way, including the Locust. Also I love the Victor Musical Industries mechs from 3055.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 83

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.