[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D 5E Problems with character design.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: ranger.jpg (102KB, 500x660px) Image search: [Google]
ranger.jpg
102KB, 500x660px
I'm a first-time DM, was gonna start over with 5E (come from having been a long-time 3.5 player) for a bunch of guys that are also relatively new to the game. One of my players's character idea would be that of a "sniper" (ranged longbow guy I assume) who would have some winged animal companion that would help him spot enemies from the air and whatnot.

5E Ranger seems to be the way to go but he wouldn't be able to get an animal companion until 3rd level with the Beast Master archetype, besides I see almost everyone universally agrees 5E ranger is all fluff and all weak.

Wtf do I do in this situation?
>>
Make the game start at level 3 like everyone does running 5e unless they hate fun cause defined class abilities start there. Also that's still the best option because if you built a archer fighter it doesn't get an animal even with feats
>>
Well, you start by using this official Unearthed Arcana revision instead.

Then you have him take the Hunter Conclave. Then instead of giving him an animal companion with mechanical benefits you just let him buy a falcon with gold and train it to do normal falcon shit.
>>
>>49688936
I agree. I love the revised ranger, and have a player in my game running one. Hide in Plain Sight really should be called "Camouflage" though.
>>
>>49688740
Start at level 3.

Tell him to play a ranged fighter with that outlander background and allow him to have a pet bird, because a fucking pet bird should not need to be gated behind a class feature.
>>
>>49688740
no character options in 5e are outright bad. Sure, some are worse than others, but none will make you worthless or just shit.

If it's that big of a concern, use the UA Ranger linked above.

He can totally do a sniper longbow type thing; the Sharpshooter feet allows him to fire up to 600ft, ignore non-full cover, and optionally take a penalty to to-hit for +damage
>>
The UA ranger is pretty solid, though of all of them I think the stalker is probably the most sniper-like despite possible use for an animal companion

If you don't like UA for whatever reason and the only goal of the animal companion is to sneak around and spot for the player to be a potentially better another option is any class with find familiar (the spell through a feat, eldritch knight, and arcane trickster all come to mind), or alternatively there's the full magic option where you just do the familiar thing, but pick of spell sniper and just "snipe" with eldritch blast as a warlock
>>
Play 3.5 or starfinder instead n dont be afrade of 3.0 suoliments they the best when the creators still dreamed of a future bright for 3 as adnd
>>
>>49688740
>Guise, I'm playing a streamlined edition of a game that minimizes options in favor of "balance". A character wants to do thing, how do I let him do thing?

House rule it or flavor it. The game itself doesn't provide for serious "options" like your buddy wants.
>>
>>49688740
Level 3 should be at most the end of your second session anyway.
1-3 is like a video game tutorial.
Nobody wants to do it but it's there to teach new players.
>>
>>49696169
We just hit level 3, 7 sessions in.

It is kinda boring, honestly.
>>
>>49688740
not only ranger but:

Polearms master with quarterstaff + shield (dueling style)is much better than dual wield feat with two weapons style..
>>
>>49696197
Honestly I think that means you're playing "wrong".
I'm running a 5e game for 4 new players.
I leveled them up to 2 in the middle of the 1st session and 3 in the middle of the second session.
Everyone's loving it so far.
Are you running a module or a home brew?
This is subjective but I'd say use milestones instead of XP.
>>
>>49696169
>>49696770
Absolutely, there's a reason Level 2's at only 300XP.

Look at how wonky the Character Advancement chart - it's been hand-tweaked to accelerate progress at certain character levels, and the time you're supposed to spend at levels 1 and 2 is clearly intended to be very little.
>>
>>49688740
let him have his animal companion right away, just don't let it be useful (able to follow commands, willing to fight, etc.)
if he's invested enough in the idea I imagine he'd be ok with "training" the creature for a couple of levels. it can still hang around and be his pet.
>>
>>49696770
>>49696169
These desu senpai.

I always have players start at level 1, but let them roleplay as if they're level 3 if it makes sense for their desired background. For example, say they're looking to become a beast master, I give them their animal companion but it just sits on the sidelines and doesn't do shit until like the 2nd or 3rd session.
Likewise a rogue might be an assassin as per his background, but he waits until 3 to get that feature. Still, he's free to RP as if he was.

Everyone seems to enjoy that.
There's a fun that comes in seeing the first few levels fly by and there's also certain adventures that don't feel quite the same way if you start at level 3.
>>
>>49696197
IME 5e stayed boring up to level 8, then we gave up. A lot of people will disagree, but there's too many games and too little time.
>>
>>49697714
I think they're only boring if you are in a very combat focused campaign.
If your DM doesn't ignore RP and exploration (although exploration in my experience is just an extension or reason to do RP), then even level 1 can be a blast.
>>
>>49696197
Tell your DM that you're not having fun.

I run with milestones for levels. But I also keep a mental tracking of what exp the characters *should* have earned based on what they've fought and puzzles they've solved. That way I'm not ever "cheating them" out of levels they've earned. It also helps me keep proper leveling pace even if it took longer for them to hit a point in the story than I intended.
>>
>>49688740
Better option is a Rogue Assasin with the Ritual Caster feat so he can summon Familiar, and Familiars are OP bytheway

If you allow Human variant option he can start all good at lvl 1
>>
>>49697861
Yeah, this is what he should do if he's cool with it being a magical pet.

I've come to hate owls.
>>
>>49697904
yeeah my DM reaaally wanted to hit me with the handbook because of that owl
>>
>>49688740
Easily done. Have the player run a human. Take the magic casting feat (whatever its name). The ranger takes 'familiar' as his spell. He then gets a hawk/whatever familiar.

Run the Ranger as a hunter archetype that focuses on bows.

You get everything you want at first level.
>>
>>49696770
It is a premade module, using milestones.

It's pretty nuts, honestly. We go through 2 large encounters, several small encounters (12 or so), and a boss. That brought us to level 2.

We had 4 long rests, and 9 short rests during this time. It was crazy.
>>
>>49698508
He is better off with a Rogue. More dmg, more mobility and more utility.

If he wants to be an outdoor type he can always take an appropriate background.
>>
>>49699388
And that works as well. Just take the familiar spell for the spotter, which is all OP seemed to indicate the guy wanted. Even if you take the UA ranger version, the 'beast' is possibly more than what the player is after.

But, yeah, taking an appropriate background, skills that give the right feel, and a rogue would work just fine. I have a 'ranger' that is actually a rogue in my campaign now - works great.

Just think of 'ranger' as a job instead of a class.
>>
>>49692563
>>49688911
First level is way more playable than it is in 3.PF. I'm don't think any of my friend minded first or second level. What don't people like about it?
>>
>>49703172
There's nothing interesting at those levels. You get your first real "choice" at 3rd.
>>
>>49704529
But that "choice" didn't matter if you didn't play before it?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.