[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeon Riddle Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: Dice.jpg (43KB, 481x500px) Image search: [Google]
Dice.jpg
43KB, 481x500px
I'm working on a dungeon for a campaign I'm writing for some friends, and the dungeon will have four branching elemental paths, each blocked by a riddle-locked door. I've got a riddle for Fire, Water, and Earth, but I need help coming up with one for Air. All the riddles based on air that I've been able to find are either so stupidly childish or fiendishly tricky that they're of no use to me.

I'd appreciate any help /tg/ could offer.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>49682016
What are your other riddles?
>>
>>49682082

I'm not looking for the answer to actually be "air". Just something air-related. Wind, breath, air, sky, etc.
>>
>>49682108

Earth Riddle: What runs around a city, but never moves? (A wall)

Fire Riddle: Iron roof, glass wals, burns and burns, and never falls? (A lantern)

Water Riddle: I always runs but never walk, often murmur, never talk, have a bed but never sleep, have a mouth but never eat. Who am I? (A river)
>>
>>49682082
Maybe the answer isn't just the element, but the riddle is themed around it?

>>49682016
I remember reading advice somewhere that said that the best kind of riddles in RPGs are ones that are based on the context of the dungeon and the world, rather than plain wordplay.

Maybe think about the purpose of the dungeon, and the culture of the people who built it?

Like before the players come to the doors they encounter bas-reliefs and inscriptions relating myths related to the element. These stories are then the key to solving the riddle.

That said, I think said advice said that said riddles said said said should be used more for side-paths and optional treasure and shit

So maybe, if these doors are required to be bypassed, make the answer as easy as possible.
ie the answers are fire, water, earth, and air, so the players get one answer, they get them all
>>
>>49682243

Several reasons.

Reason One: I've already written most of the session for this, including the encounters.

Reason Two: My map-making program is optimized for square-based building, rather than pentagons.

Reason Three: I have zero experience with Chinese elements.
>>
>>49682131
Lose me, you die. Catch me, you fly!
>>
>>49682372

If I want to make each door equidistant (which I would), I'd have to use an entirely different grid system, switching from a square set to a pentagon set, otherwise, I'd have to stick the fifth door as just an addition off one of the other hallways, making it look really ugly.
>>
>>49682016
The answers are the names of the 4 elemental lords, whos names the party has to go out and find.

boom, 4 more adventures
>>
>>49684749

Won't work with the way the campaign I'm writing is set up. There's no way out without solving all four riddles.They literally START the campaign inside.
>>
>>49682131
"The wind itself, made of paper" (a fan)
>>
>>49682342
I like this one. Breath, right?
>>
>>49685727
Two, one more simple and one a bit more complex.

As strong as you are you cannot hold me for long and the at full sprint you'll never catch me.

Despite the fact that without me you would be sure to perish, the moments that you're left without me are those that you'll always cherish.
>>
>>49682496
Just stick them all next to each other on one wall and have the path behind them branch off.
>>
Horses aren't teeth!
>>
File: Runes.jpg (41KB, 956x606px) Image search: [Google]
Runes.jpg
41KB, 956x606px
>Water room: The chamber fills with water, the party must try to slow the flow of water while one player must complete a simple but time consuming task like counting matchsticks or translating a sentence with pic related to release a door before they all drown, if someone casts water breathing add piranhas or something.

>Fire room. The chambers walls are lined with burning pitch torches that coat a section of floor with soot. text on the far wall reads "The more you take, the more you leave behind". the answer is "footsteps" the players need to leave a footprint in the soot to proceed.

>Air room. The chamber is filled with bells and chimes of various sizes, being blown by a magical wind. On each one is inscribed. "I am so fragile, speak my name and I break" The answer is "silence". To proceed they must destroy the bells and chimes, however each one they break will awaken an angry spirit so they will be dog piled by an army of ghouls if they smash them all at once.

Earth-The earth chamber is guarded by a talking door, carved to look like a dwarfs face. Above the door is a plaque that reads "The password is stone". The players must talk to the door and get it to say "stone"
>>
>>49682131
Replace "murmur" with "babble".
What do you mean lanterns don't fall?
>>
Lets make this a general riddle thread!

'I drink the sun green.
I eat lightning to the ground.
I live in your pocket. What am I?'
>>
>>49682016
>either so stupidly childish or fiendishly tricky
And that is why I never use riddles in my dungeons; either they are solved immediately or they are never solved. It sounds like a fun idea but in reality it never works.
>>
>>49686277

I wouldn't use them in dungeons, but as a hanging plot thread for people to think on I'm okay with them.
>>
>>49686326
Good idea. That would work because the players would be free to speculate, rather than come to a set specific answer in order to progress.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.