[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A New System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Turtle,-house-and-bird.jpg (5MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Turtle,-house-and-bird.jpg
5MB, 3840x2160px
Sup /tg/, Im sick and tired of Pathfinder, mainly because it is sort of a jack of all trades master of none, and my players are too...unfocused to keep track of all their bonuses.

So, in classic /tg/ fashion, Im going to try to create a new fantasy pen and paper roleplaying system! However, Ive done this sort of thing in the past and on here seemed to think I was doing a very good job, so I figured Id put up a thread and ask a simple question:

What is you favorite fantasy RP system, and, in as much detail as you can muster, why?

Also, if you have some kind of morbid pity for me, and think you know of a more perfect system that has somehow escaped my notice for 20+ years, feel free to make a suggestion.
>>
>>49679719
>it is sort of a jack of all trades master of none
No. It is a powerlevel encounter combat system that railroads heavily and has room for little else.

>Im going to try to create a new fantasy pen and paper roleplaying system!
That's pointless. Enjoy.

Read Reign, Burning Wheel, and Dungeon World. Never mind the fluff but pay attention to mechanism design. Understand those and maybe Runequest, and explain why in the seven hells we'd need a new system?
>>
>>49682102
Fpbp.

OP, it's 2016. There's hundreds of games out there. Make up your mind and decide what you want from the game, and you'll find half a dozen systems fit for your needs.
But first of all, you have to unlearn pathfinder.
>>
>>49679719
Figure out what you like about gaming. What's the aspect you guys have the most fun with, on the rules-side?

Dungeon crawling? Combat? Character progression through levels of power? Loot collecting? Using spells in new ways? Base-constructing? Magical lore? Maybe performing survival skills or "social combat."

Figure out what you enjoy the most, mechanically. Now find the system that handles that part of it the best. If you can't? Fine, make your own. But you won't have it playtested, and you'll be able to find something else that is, so don't make your own just for the sake of it.
>>
>>49679719
>Ive done this sort of thing in the past and on here seemed to think I was doing a very good job

On /tg/?!? Haha, no. We were just mocking you.
>>
>>49682102
Echoing REIGN here. Coming away from Pathfinder and all its painful genericness, REIGN will seem like a work of mad genius.
>>
>>49679719
>So, in classic /tg/ fashion, Im going to try to create a new fantasy pen and paper roleplaying system!

/tg/ has been struggling to be able to do this for years. The Good Old Days are long gone.

Besides, why go to all that trouble when you can just make a custom pre-selected mix of GURPS options and get exactly what you want? Fourth Edition really is the bomb as far as game systems go. I hated third enough that it was six years after 4e came out that I even took a look at it. The only problem was the magic system, but now there are several magic systems that are excellent.

Most of the problems with GURPS come from the requirement for GMs to prep and customize the system prior to playing. But if we do that now, then that whole problem goes away. Also, the new Dungeon Fantasy boxed set pretty much does this.

But whether you take this advice or not, are you creating a new game SETTING or trying to retrofit a new system to Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Eberron, etc? Either is ok but we ought to know from the get-go which you're trying to do.
>>
>>49679719
Just buy one of the LotFP modules and use that.
>>
>>49682844
It kind of is. Reign is Greg Stolze's baby. You may know him from games like Unknown Armies, Delta Green, or Better Angels. Nemesis is his. He's definitely a talented mechanism designer. But he's also a little marginal with his tastes. Very interesting stuff. I have yet to find a game of his that isn't great.
>>
>>49685662
>PF Modules

Disgusting
>>
File: lotfp image.jpg (867KB, 800x1062px) Image search: [Google]
lotfp image.jpg
867KB, 800x1062px
>>49686077
Learn your acronyms, son.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.