[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of starting Tau

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (112KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 960x720px
I play a little bit of imperial gaurd. got nurgle chaos. figure i need a xenos race to play with and its about time to start another army up. any Tau nerds on here with some advice on building up a small army. or some insight on just how the playstiyle can be.
>>
File: Tau shopping.jpg (72KB, 1024x723px) Image search: [Google]
Tau shopping.jpg
72KB, 1024x723px
>>49660460
The playstyle is a bit boring depending on your army because the shooting phase is really the only way your army can kill the other one. It's very easy to make a Tau list like your picture that's pure gunline which is incredibly boring to play and play against. The codex actually allows for a large variety in your list's playstyle. The best way is to take a look and see how you want your army to play.
I favor a short ranged high-risk high-reward army list because it adds a bit of strategic challenge in making sure my army doesn't get divided and assaulted to smitherens. Of course I haven't played with it because I haven't finished painting it.
For a small army just consider some basic HQ, troops, anti-tank, anti-infantry units.
>>
>>49660675
Bit of a weird question but what kind of Tau list could I build if I really wanted to table my opponent? Like how many overlays can I put out in the shooting phase at once? I'm trying to fluff a scorched-earth Tau army.
>>
>>49660698
Well if you don't mind fielding maximum cheese then it's easy, just take the most powerful units. A stormsurge and a pair of riptides will form a core force that your opponent will simply not be able to kill unless he/she is bringing D weapons to bear and will put out enough fire power to kill infantry and tanks in abundance. Don't forget pathfinders though.
>>
>>49660763
Be aware if you do this only Dark Eldar, D-weapon and Poison players will consider playing you.
>>
>>49660987
Oh shit, I didn't know it was that easy to table. I assumed Tau dakka was more precision-based. Well fuck, now I don't want to make the list, I was hoping to go up against Orks and Nids.
>>
would a horde tau army work?

as in spamming drones and fire warriors, use pathfinders for anti-tank, probably would mech up a lot of the infantry

kind of a shame the devilfish kit is so old though
>>
>>49661234
Tau actually have some really fun lists if you leave out the cheese, unlike other codexes.

Rule one, never buy the stormsurge.
Rule two, never use more than one riptide, and never use a riptide in less than 1500 point games.
Rule three, never use any of the formation in the tau codex.

Finally, when playing against orks, and dark eldar, ALWAYS take the twin-linked burst cannons on your vehicles instead of smart missile systems.

Both you and your opponents will have a great time.
>>
>>49661308
So if I put those handicaps on I can have plenty of 'splosions while not being a cheesemonger asshole?
>>
>>49661355
Absolutely. Tau can so much AOE its awesome. Every crisis suit can take small blast and flamer weapons, Their hammerhead and riptide can have large blasts.

I like to play a super aggressive in your face list for tau. For around 1500 points I run something like this.

Ethereal
4 firewarrior teams in devilfish.
3 crisuis suits armed to their teeth with melta weapons
2 broadsides.
2 skyrays.
4 tetras
>>
>>49660698
If you're only getting a small army (500pts-ish) just get a few things that synergise and let them do their job. No need to waac list a scout force...
>>
>>49661258
As long as your table-long napolean era gunline doesn't have it's epic firing lanes block up
>>
>>49661308
The only unfair formations are the Ranged Support Cadre, Optimized Stealth Cadre, Riptide Wing, and maybe a couple others I'm missing.
Stuff like the Infiltration cadre and rapid response cadre are fine.
>>
>>49661405
Thanks anon! Time to slaughter some bugs.
>>
>>49661495
Formations as a concept are not fine. They give free rules for no additional cost.

Formations and data-slates are the worst offender for the reputation warhammer has gained over the duration of 7th edition.
>>
>>49661258
I've been wanting to run horde Tau for while. That sounds like an absolute blast. And if you park 1 or 2 ethereal in those Devilfishes and take a cadre fireblade or two the amount of dakka would be terrifying. Throw a few stealth teams in for tank removal.

Also the devilfish kit is fine, tau skimmers are sexy.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.