[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the saddest setting and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 25

File: i have to wash my window.jpg (12KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
i have to wash my window.jpg
12KB, 276x183px
What is the saddest setting and why?
>>
>>49655984
my life
>>
File: hug-meme.png (7KB, 234x216px) Image search: [Google]
hug-meme.png
7KB, 234x216px
>>49655992
>>
>>49655984

Golarion.

It's been running for 10 years and has had dozens of adventures, supplements and campaign books for it...

... and yet, when it dies, nobody will mourn its passing, no one will attend its funeral, and no one will remember it.

It's a setting of nothing, of wasted potential, and that's the saddest setting of all.
>>
>>49655984

Probably Kult. God gave up on the world and left, and now everything's coming apart and dissolving at the edges, and angels and demons and man and Satan are all walking the world, trying to find some way to bring him back, or at least hold reality together a little longer.
That's the nutshell version, the full thing is worse. It's depressing as hell.
>>
>>49656018
People use Golarion, though. The saddest setting is the one someone makes for whatever home campaign or self-published fantasy heartbreaker, and then nobody uses it.
>>
>>49656039

That's like saying it's sad there's an abortion/ miscarraige vs say, the careere of Eddy Murphey.

Sure it's sad this thing that was inceptualized died in the womb but compare that to something that at one time was the hottest shit and now who the fuck remembers him as anything but the voice of a fucking meme donkey.
>>
>>49656080
Plenty of people. Both of us, for instance. Eddie Murphy lived a full life before the state of living death he occupies now.
>>
>>49656018
I'll miss it personally, though I think it's time for either a major shift in the setting or a change of setting when it comes to which setting gets the main focus.

Also, a bit of tuning/streamlining for the spellcasters' spell lists and the feats list would be nice.
>>
>>49656039
>>49656080

That's the thing, there was never a point Golarion was a "good" setting besides maybe the month or two it was out.

Golarion is not Eddie Murphy nor is it an abortion, it's the family disappointment that has to attend all the usual gatherings and pleasantries are exchanged, but when they finally hand themselves in a hotel bathroom after their parents finally kick them out of the house, nobody is particularly surprised.
>>
When you die in the forgotten realms there are four possible outcomes.

1) You weren't a follower of any god and weren't evil. Your soul is welded into a wall that separates the planes from each other (poorly) and you will spend the rest of eternity in a semi-somnolent, semi-insane stupor. Ultimate boredom and powerlessness forever.
2) You were evil, or paid lip service to an evil god. Your soul is taken to Hell and put through centuries of mystical torture to purify you until all that is left is a weak devil, which can eventually grow more powerful and metamorphose.
3) You were a believer or paid lip service to a god that wasn't evil. Your soul is taken to the realm of the god who is most relevant to your beliefs/lies and mindfucked into a husk of who you were, totally without free will. You exist to toil for the god and its servants and you also provide mystical power via them tapping into your soul.
4) You were a true believer and very committed to a god. Your soul is taken to the realm of that god and goes through various trials that reform and purify your soul until all that is left is some weak outsider, which can eventually grow more powerful and metamorphose.

In all cases you effectively cease being who you were, it isn't really an afterlife. Also, the entire plane serves as an engine for the overgod Ao. He harvests power from the souls it contains. He in turn tithes some of that power to his masters. He doesn't give a fuck about the plane or its inhabitants and it's literally impossible for things to get better or worse because he won't let that happen, the imbalance would damage the mechanism by which he extracts his dues.
>>
>>49656028
full version?
>>
Primeval Thule is pretty nihilistic. Whatever you do, whatever happens, the entire continent will be covered in ice within a couple of centuries and your legacy will be buried for the next 60,000 years (after which time a bunch of fuckwits will melt the ice caps, so great)
>>
>>49655992

feels

>>49655984

I did postapo one shoot for one player once about one man being kind of resurrected by physics 'glitch' in a world where universe is dying and super AI archilects rule the existence.

It was kind of lonely, existentialism masterbat thing but it was kind of 'sad'. Homebrew tho so doesn't count right?

Also >>49656028
Kult.
>>
Nechronica has technicly a sad setting even if it's rather silly. The game takes place after humans had to fight for ressources with nukes, earthquake machines and other superweapons including zombies. You play as a zombie after all humans have died out and all that is running around are undead trying to not die again to the horrors that have been left behind.
>>
>>49657664

wasn't the whole fucking point of 'zombie' to put something there in your setting, unthinking and without self-awareness and consciousness?

tell me this is addressed in the setting because everything else sounds kind of cool
>>
>>49655984
warhammer
because, well i mean just read it. everything sucks and everyone is an evil dickbag
>>
baby shoes, never worn
>>
>>49658180

i get ya but no all baby shoes are worn, sometimes you fuck up and buy wrong ones etc

t. parent

try again
>>
>>49657972
There are multiple versions of zombies. One is the mindless hord that you'd expect a zombie to be. Player characters are more of the thing of resurected people in a body that doesn't give a hit if it's head is on it's shoulders or not (or multiple heads for that matter).

Basicly in the storyline, people figured out how to pull people back from the collective consciousness. They used that to bring back casulties in their war. That also resulted in people not realy caring abour casulties since you can bring back john doomguy back. Things kinda spiraled out of controll because of all those superweapons blasting of at each other.

One thing lead to another and a few people hide in their bunkers for a few hundred years in the hopes of getting back out after everything has died down. However, undead kept doing their thing and created warbands fighting each other over the remains of what was left. And since they didn't care too much about a bulletwound, the rest of the humans didn't realy stand a chance when they tried to fight them.

Canon is that all humans have become undead at that point in one way or another but I've seen people put in small clusters of humans for flavour.
>>
File: dragonlance.jpg (155KB, 771x762px) Image search: [Google]
dragonlance.jpg
155KB, 771x762px
>>49655984
"When I was young? -Ah, woeful when! Ah! for the change 'twixt now and then! This breathing house not built with hands, this body that does me grievous wrong, o'er aery cliffs and glittering sands how lightly then it flashed along, like those trim skiffs, unknown of yore, on winding lakes and rivers wide, that ask no aid of sail or oar, that fear no spite of wind or tide! nought cared this body for wind or weather when Youth and I lived in't together...

"Life's a warning that only serves to make us grieve when we are old: ...like some poor nigh-related guest that may not rudely be dismist; yet hath out-stayed his welcome while, and tells the jest without the smile."

What makes it sad is you.
>>
>>49656366
Like Beetlejuice said, death for the dead.
>>
>>49658422

man, im in shitty mood and i didn't want those feels. can you take them back? please
>>
>>49655992

Fucking /thread
>>
>>49655992
>come to thread just to post this
>it was fpbp
>>
40k. Everything is pure shit for everyone except for orcs, and sometimes orcs get stuck in the middle of space with nobody to fight.
>>
Worm.

The most screwed up people get superpowers and half the time the superpower completely fucks the person over or is completely useless. Villians and gang bangers outnumber heroes 8:1 and super serial killers like the Slaughterhouse 9 are running free because some people are just so powerful there is literally nothing you can do to stop them from strolling into your home town, brutally killing everyone in it, and making a carnival of corpses filled with death traps. Also, what the hell is Sleeper's power?
>>
>>49658850
>Also, what the hell is Sleeper's power?
Stranger, makes people think he has some extremely dangerous power.
>>
>>49655984
Mine.

Nobody ever plays in it..
>>
>>49655984
I know it's a video game but the Dark Souls trilogy is probably the saddest and most interesting setting I've encountered
>>
JAGS Wonderland

You can either think you have a contagious mental illness and that people like you are disappeared by Men in Black trying to contain it, or you can awaken to the truth that reality really is breaking apart and falling into a nightmarish otherworld. The happiest ending possible is activating the Canons at the bottom chessboard level of reality and blowing the walls off of the multiverse, initiating a Kult-ish gnostic singularity for humanity that will entail losing all your individuality and everything you have ever known and loved.
>>
Eclipse Phase.

Welcome to eternity spent with trannies, furries, turbo-fags and pedos. Literal eternity.
>>
File: t7fMNNL.gif (455KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
t7fMNNL.gif
455KB, 600x337px
>>49655992
>>
>>49665524
Except on glorious Jupiter.
>>
>>49655984
Real life
>>
>>49665524
Fuck that, fuck trans-humanity, I'm gonna take my chances with rogue AIs and creepy mega-entity bent on eliminating all other sentient life in the galaxy.
>>
>>49665524
So, 2016?
>>
>>49665524
Ok so you described real life but what about this Eclipse Phase setting?
>>
>>49655984

Our current 5e world

>Country we are in is content with it's existance
>very little bad happens here
>because the god queen and her massive underground agencies work day in and day out to keep bad things at bay
>meanwhile, there is an army of undead controlled by a wizard out of time
>a lich who stopped nuking the material plane 200 years ago because he got bored has come back
>half the people trying to save the world want to bring down the government t set the people free from their ignorance
>the other half want to do that after dealing with the actual threats to life, so even the good guys all hate each other
>everyone lives in a world of gray, with lines that can be toed and sometimes crossed depending on the situation
>meanwhile, I rolled up a heroic good guy with a heart of gold and a need to defend his friends and the helpless
>know he is going to die sacrificing himself for people that don't really love him, but push on anyway, always seeing that silver lining

If the party isn't screwed, my character definitely is. One of these days I'll say fuck it and play a chaotic evil wizard and just give no fucks about anybody else. Today, however, is not that day.
>>
>>49655984
Twilight 2000, especially the very first edition. ESPECIALLY if you played it by mid 80s, when it was one step from getting real.

Instead being escapism post-apo wankfest, it's pretty much downright depressive game in the same vein as The Postman (at least the book) - there is nothing fun or giddy about world wrecked by atomic holocaust and there is nothing good about societal collapse.

And if you are a bit younger and thus never experienced 80s first-hand, then Reign of Steel for GURPS. It's basically Terminator on steroid, only that humanity was wrecked so hard, there is barely anyone left, not to mention organised resistance or resistance at all, really - you just try to survive another day.
>>
>>49666014
>1e Twilight 2000
>The Postman
Are you an existentialist?
>>
>>49655984

NGE's setting is made for despair.

> More than half the world died in a global cataclysm 15 years ago
> its not over yet
> You, an emotionally damaged and completely unprepared in any way teenager, are forced to pilot a torture machine to go fight terrifyingly bullshit alien monsters which will probably kill you.
> if you refuse, you and everyone else will die and all traces of human civilization will be wiped from the face of the Earth like it was never there
> the organization that builds and maintains the torture machines only cares that you do your job, they refuse to give you any comforts or compensation beyond your continued existence. They won't let you leave, but play all sorts of head games with you to try and convince you that you are staying of your own free will. But its all emotional manipulation.
> They don't care what your emotional state or quality of life is so long as you keep getting in the robot
> even if you succeed and survive killing all the aliens, your ultimate reward is to have the world governments turn on you and try to murder you and everyone you know to prevent the robots from being used as weapons of war against them, a ploy orchestrated by your boss's boss so they can initiate the functional end of the world on their terms

The world is fucked, your life sucks, no one will help you and your long term options are to die fighting aliens or be killed by your own allies.
>>
>>49655984

Post-apocalyptic, depending on the seriousness of the tone. Gamma World is more lighthearted with all the robots and comical mutations populating the planet. But then there are games like Twilight 2000 that try to depict the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust as accurately as possible.
>>
>>49655992
Your life isn't so bad. You're just stuck with a brain that can only appreciate good things temporarily but constantly dwells on bad things.
>>
>>49655984
Any post-apo setting that takes itself serious, but avoids going into grim-derp territory. Like the original Twilight 2000 (and not the 2013 version)
>>
File: red schuhart.jpg (394KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
red schuhart.jpg
394KB, 1000x500px
>>49666150
Isn't that just the definition of war, and nothing more or less?
>>
>>49655984
Goblins
>>
>>49666112
I have an existentialist crisis if that counts?
>>
>>49667377
You have existentional crisis, not existentialist
>>
>>49665524
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, since the TITANs are going to kill everyone anyway.
>>
>>49667348

Wars, at least, can be won.
>>
>>49668583
Not all of them. And with conflict big enough, 'winning' still means shit.
Just recall WW1. Entante won it. Did they've gained anything meaningful with itor ever recoupled their losses? No, just a political and economical clusterfuck, for both winners and losers.
>>
File: foch[1].jpg (37KB, 401x600px) Image search: [Google]
foch[1].jpg
37KB, 401x600px
>>49668935
>Did they've gained anything meaningful with itor ever recoupled their losses? No, just a political and economical clusterfuck, for both winners and losers.
You should've given France the Rhineland
You should've split the rest of Germany to pre-Bismarckian borders
You should've occupied Berlin
You should've listened!
Don't call it a grave, it's the future you've chosen.
>>
>>49669017
>implying the french deserve anything
>>
File: 1417989385869.png (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1417989385869.png
48KB, 500x500px
>>49669067
That's EXACTLY the thought process that led to 48 million deaths.
>>
File: crecy-d.jpg (95KB, 400x421px) Image search: [Google]
crecy-d.jpg
95KB, 400x421px
>>49669067

The French deserve everything, anon. It's their birthright.
Damn, when I tried to post this pic before, Firefox surrendered.
>>
>>49668935
>WW1.
And the prize is: Another one in twenty years! Congratulations everyone!
>>
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53KB, 256x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53KB, 256x330px
The running theme of the setting is basically "death is inevitable and trying to stop it will lead to horrible things".
>>
>>49669373
Says a lot when the best endings are wither Old Yeller-ing the world or starting a zombie empire
>>
>>49669017
Yeah and maybe also turning Germany into agrarian country, right? Because it's the economy, not law and education that needs to be changed, because it's totally and completely unrelated with what kind of society lives in and makes given country.
This retardation was one of the main reasons why we had 2nd one. And tell me - how did humiliating Germans with absurd peace conditions worked for anyone, hm?
>>
>>49665524
If I had to choose a tabletop setting to live in it would be Eclipse Phase. If you aren't an indenture life seems pretty rad. There's even a giant larping /tg/ spaceship.
>>
>>49655984
Eberron.

It tries so hard to be outstanding and tries to push the envelope in creativity, so much time and effort clearly went into its creation and there are so many good ideas hidden on every page.
Yet somehow the end result still ends up being a pile of dull, banal garbage.
>>
>>49669373
On the other hand, I find the theme that everything will repeat itself kind of comforting. Like, it's a dark and gloomy world... but just like all the death and destruction is going to keep repeating unfailingly, so are all the good times that you find on your journey, the friends you make, and the comforts enjoy.
>>
>>49658180
4/6
>>
>>49655984

The dimension for FTL is also the afterlive and was once a calm see. Emotions from the material world and the souls of the dead influence and go to the warp and clump together there, forming entities. Then, the Old Ones and the Necrons fought a war of such epic proportions that all the hatred and evil forever fucked the warp into an evil infested hellhole that is trying to spread evil into the material realm, as if it werent enaugh that the afterlife was forever fucked to become hell.

As if that werent enaugh, one species became so decadent that they created a mass orgy of rape and drugs and rock and roll of such EPIC proportions that they literally tore the god damn universe a new one. This new Universe asshole is fittingly called the Eye of Terror and connects the material realm to hell: the Warp. To top it off the orgy ALSO created a NEW CHAOS GOD of sexual debauchery and torture that ate the souls of everyone involved and thus became so powerful that rape and torture started to dominate the galaxy.

One warp entity from the material realm decided that enaugh was enaugh and that it was going to "save" humanity by becoming its totalitarian dictator. Turns out fighting fighting evil with fascism, violence and hate and eating the emotions and souls of those involved because you are also literally the only non-chaosgod afterlife for your followers also makes you evil space hitler.

So to recapitulate
>Evil and Violence created evil chaos in the warp, evil and chaos in the afterlife created evil and violence in the matieral world in various different ways, repeat

The only way to change that would be to create so much good that the warp changes back and also kill the emperor without causing more violence and hate than your good equalizes, all of which will never fucking happen because everyone involved is evil and thinks himself the only good faction.

It's objectively the sadest universe because everyone in it is doomed to suffer and go to hell.
>>
>>49671430
>not law
That happened in the Weimar Republic, a democratic republic that was forced on the German people. Look how that turned out.
>And education
Pray tell, how does a non-totalitarian regime re-educate an entire fucking nation?

After WW2, the Americans FINALLY got the right fucking idea: fight the Germans all the way to Berlin, make it clear to the entire world that they were defeated, split the country in four zones, occupy it, make it entirely dependent on America (the entire idea of NATO was described as to "keep America in, Germany down and Russia out", especially that "Germany down" part is important) etc. It took fifty years for the country to be reunited, and debatably they're already to their old tricks, trying to take over and ruin Europe once more.

But of course all of that is bullshit. We should simply be nice to the scourge of Europe and maybe it will learn its lesson rather than stewing on revenge. Of course, making it incapable of avenging itself is stupid. That's why Ferdinand Foch's "armistice for 20 years" prediction was wrong, right? I mean, he was an entire 70 days off! Clearly he was a total fucking moron!
>>
>>49674131
Mate, don't want to break it for you, but you are pulling Historical Revisionism 101 here, so... yeah, get rekt.
>>
File: Slaanesh_by_baklaher-d7dvohn.jpg (107KB, 856x934px) Image search: [Google]
Slaanesh_by_baklaher-d7dvohn.jpg
107KB, 856x934px
>>49672754
>>49672754
I'm not doubting you, but where is this in the fluff because it sounds like a spectacular read? Again, not talking shit, I'm just looking for my next 40k book.
>>
File: 1395367645599.png (77KB, 1003x495px) Image search: [Google]
1395367645599.png
77KB, 1003x495px
>>49672754
>The only way to change that would be to create so much good that the warp changes back
Well Anon I think I know just the man for the job
>>
File: 1371432640823.png (89KB, 883x990px) Image search: [Google]
1371432640823.png
89KB, 883x990px
>>49665726
>>
File: don't fear the reaper.gif (355KB, 499x211px) Image search: [Google]
don't fear the reaper.gif
355KB, 499x211px
>>49655984
Any setting with mortality.

Death is the truest form of despair.
>>
>>49674229
The points he brought up are all over the fluff. I don't think there is any specific book that talks about each of them individually.

If you want to learn more, you could just go the wiki articles for "Warp Travel" "Fall of the Eldar" and maybe "the Great Crusade", although I think the anon you are responding to may be speculating on the Emperor's motives a bit. But I have not read all of the Horus Heresy stuff, it probably goes into more detail there.

As for the warp being the default afterlife, that conclusion does seem logical, but I don't recall reading any fluff which confirms that idea.
>>
>>49674131
>>
Midnight.

The bad guy won, you are just trying to make it to the next day with slightly less orc rape.
>>
>>49678206
>The bad guy won
Try Reign of Steel then
>>
>>49678177
Shouldn't that be "productive soldier?"
>>
>>49666219
>Gamma World is more lighthearted
Not the way I play it. I've had people trapped by a weeks long sandstorm who had to decide which member of the party they were going to eat to survive. Granted, it was an NPC, but it was still pretty far from lighthearted. Still, the zaniness of the world does detract a bit from the realness of horror, even if you try to play things off as bizarre and even unsettling rather than silly and comical.
>>
>>49666014
>it's pretty much downright depressive game in the same vein as The Postman (at least the book)
The movie was extremely depressing in an "Oh god! When will this seemingly-endless piece of shit finally be over?" sort of way.
>>
>>49678347
No, they mean go into a factory and work on the production of weapons and stuff.
>>
>>49678369
Not him, but think about it this way:
- Gamma World by default is silly and even outright comical with the stuff in it; that's the baseline situation that most players take and run with it with no tweaks, since that's what the setting for the game is.
- Twilight 2000 is by default the game that takes itself dead-serious about being set in the aftermath of a nuclear war and societal collapse, while in the same time also applying the feeling of alienation, since the default stance leaves you stranded in post-apo Poland of all places and is pretty oppressive about executing real-world place on you.
So the default stance both games have is completely different and unless players and GM decide to completely change the goals and setting as such, they will never be comparable in any other way than "game set in post-apo setting", but that's like saying Call of Cthulhu and D&D are "fantasy-themed games".
>>
>>49656080
>That's like saying it's sad there's an abortion/ miscarraige vs say, the careere of Eddy Murphey.
Yes it is enourmously sadder.
>>
>>49678399
Read the book.
No, really - read it.

Because it's the kind of situation that goes with "I am legend", too. Without reading the book the film is so-so and simply drags. After reading the book you realise they've picked absolutely amazing source material, take a huge dump on it, apply all sort of retarded cliches and tropes to it and said "here is the masterpiece".
There is ONE thing good in the film - up until recent Mad Max it was the only post-apo film with any bigger budget, allowing for nice scenery, set pieces and bunch of extras. Then wasting it on really subpar adaptation of absolutely great book.
>>
>>49678399
Enjoy
>>
>>49678399
If that comforts you in any way, the book doesn't have almost anything in it from the first hour and Abby shows up only briefly. And most importantly, there is no motherfucking Ford Lincoln Mercury in it. Nor quotes lifted from Shakespeare that make him sound like all-American nationalist. It also has almost no sap in it and the whole "I'm your new postman" act serves completely different purpose.
In short - the most annoying bits were invented solely for the film.
>>
>>49678502
I enjoyed Brin's Uplift saga, but I've got too many books on my waiting list as it is. Besides, I don't really want to add nuance to my contempt for The Postman.
>>
>>49656080
Look, if the saddest thing you can say about Golarion is 'it's disliked by some random assholes who pretend to play rpgs online but just pirate books and bitch about them', then it sounds fairly healthy, as settings go.
>>
>>49678538
But it will allow you to hate the movie outright, instead of just having contempt for it. Besides, it's the kind of book you read in single afternoon, because it's written in easy to digest way.
So when you will have a free moment, give it a try. I highly recommend it on the sole notion how it puts the usual post-apo setting on its head just by changing the focus of the story from some badass drifter or crazy raider to the normal people that inhabit the world.
>>
>>49666014
>The Postman
>the movie is set in 2013
I always get a weird feeling when I watch/read science fiction about a year that's already in the past.

Good thing most science-fiction writers avoid using real dates.
>>
>>49678570
When I read the book for the first time, it was spring of 2012 and the trees were starting to bloom... which is the exact moment where the story ends.
When I saw the remake of On the beach, it was the same year the action was set in.

Talk about irony.
>>
File: thundarr5.png (690KB, 628x468px) Image search: [Google]
thundarr5.png
690KB, 628x468px
>>49678570
>I always get a weird feeling when I watch/read science fiction about a year that's already in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I9blXQEHyw

The year 1994, from out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction. Man's civilization is cast in ruin. Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn. A strange, new world rises from the old, a world of savagery, super-science and sorcery.

Thundarr remake when?
>>
>>49678634
>Playback on websites has been disabled by the video owner.
Fuck you, video owner -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaB19auvjc8
>>
>>49678634
>Thundarr remake when?
Adventure time?
>>
>>49678658
Isn't that sort of like saying...

>Cthulhu movie when?
Ghostbusters?
>>
File: Tzekel.jpg (39KB, 569x387px) Image search: [Google]
Tzekel.jpg
39KB, 569x387px
>>49678599
>remake of On the beach
Assante's best role on-screen. And second-best in his career
>>
File: fractal feel.jpg (52KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
fractal feel.jpg
52KB, 403x403px
>>49655992
I know that feel
>>
>>49666221
Two weeks ago my father shot himself and left a note saying it was because of an argument I had with him.

I find it easy to dwell.
>>
>>49655984
A game you've probably never heard of called terminus 5, it was a sort of RPG/wargame hybrid clearly influenced by old school D&D, set on a dying post ww3 earth. Every year your character had to make a percentile roll to if you died of cancer/some other horrible terminal illness. Complicated damage system where your heart had separate hit points total.
You are fucked, there is no hope, the game was so depressing I just couldn't bring myself to finish writing a campaign for that.
>>
>>49674181
>Historical revisionism
Except historians generally agree that Versailles was too lenient rather than too harsh. The idea that Versailles was cruel is propaganda pushed by Hitler that's actually believed outside of Germany for some reason.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25776836
Versailles was, for starters, a lot more lenient than Molotov-Ribbentrop.

>>49678177
I'm not being an armchair general, I'm just saying "this one general who made a suggestion during the time of the Versailles treaty was right". How is acknowledging that someone at the time was right being an armchair general? Let me guess, saying that France should've listened to De Gaulle prior to WW2 is being an armchair general too, even though De Gaulle was an active general at the time? Saying Hitler should've listened to the suggestions of his own generals to go on the defensive in Russia during the winter season is also being an armchair general?

If the opinions of real generals are those of armchair generals, what even makes real generals anymore?
>>
I think SLA Industries is probably

>the most depressing
>setting
>for an RPG
>that I have read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLA_Industries

I know more depressing things but they're not settings for RPGs, or I haven't read them and only heard of them, or they're for RPGs and I've read them but they're not settings.
>>
>>49679023

It is possible for something to be both too lenient and too harsh, much like ADHD is both over- and under-diagnosed.

Too harsh: Requiring Germany to make more reparations than they can pay for without starving is retarded.

Too lenient: Allowing Germany to retain that much industrial capacity is retarded.
>>
>>49679087
>Too harsh: Requiring Germany to make more reparations than they can pay for without starving is retarded.
Except that literally never happened. Part of the Versailles Treatment involved the creation of a committee that would, every year, calculate exactly how much Germany could afford to pay. This is why they spent 90 years paying their debt, rather than being forced to do so in five years and crashing their entire economy.
>B-But their economy did crash
As did that of France, and most of the rest of the world. Germany actually had an advantage in that they didn't have a large army to pay for while their economy crashed.

Nothing about it was harsh at all, and that's the problem. It made the Germans upset without actually harming them enough to prevent another world war.
>>
>>49679131
>Versailles Treatment
Kek, Versailles Treaty. Though I'd like to see the term "giving someone the Versailles treatment" become a thing.
>>
>>49679023
>Except historians generally agree that Versailles was too lenient rather than too harsh
If we call /pol/ "experts" historians, then yeah, sure.

Now go back under the rock from which you crawled from
>>
>>49679131
The thing I've always been taught is that the Treaty of Versailles was the exact wrong severity. It was too harsh on Germany for Germany to get over it, but too lenient to hobble Germany enough that it wouldn't be a threat.
>>
>>49678570
The date was lifted from the book and made much less sense in the film than it did in the novel. You see, the novel was set in "next generation" from the perspective of '84, to pick up readers from the world they know and are comfortable with and then show then the same world just one generation apart, where nothing is the same anymore. The book is pretty much all about study of human nature, or rather the nature of society we willingly create and what it takes to make this society works. It was less about some nearby futuristic future and more about giving the feeling of how much shit can happen within very short period. In fact, the date is only aproximated for most of the time and the exact year isn't spilled up until the last page of the book.

Meanwhile, the film just pick the date without any context whatsoever, as it's an action-drama and not a societal commentary. And since the film was made in '97, to maintain the source material logic, it should be set in late-2020s. But then again, it's not important what year it's set in.
>>
>>49679234
The BBC is now /pol/? Funny, last time I checked they were actually pretty left-leaning, going as far as to implement diversity quotas.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/23/bbc-promises-to-hire-more-women-and-ethnic-minorities-5837023/
And if THEY are now /pol/, who isn't? Everyone who agrees with you?

>>49679249
>It was too harsh on Germany for Germany to get over it
Everything but a German victory would've been too harsh for Germany. Nationalism was a thing across Europe, but the Germans had gone full retard. That's why they actually believed the stab in the back myth: Germany was so glorious, it couldn't possibly lose a war. That's also why Foch insisted on refusing peace offers and pushing all the way to Berlin: to cement in the eyes of the Germans their own defeat. To make it clear they wre beat by the superior force of the Entente and there was nothing they could do about it.

So either the Entente had to roll over or hamstring Germany. Those were the only two possibilities that would lead to a result Germany was either willing to accept or unable to change.
>>
>>49678570
>>49679275
Bonus points for doing the reverse treatment and giving us the date in the very opening scene, thus further untermining the whole thing
>>
>>49679279
BBC might not be /pol/, but you surely are, so get the fuck out of /tg/.

Ever heard about revanchism? I guess not. And that's the main reason why we had both WW1 and WW2. So stay mad, but far away from this board.
>>
>>49678570
Want to talk about fucked-up dates?
How about the latest adaptation of I am legend then, released in 2007? Where it's set chiefly in early September of 2012, starting from 4th of September, while the flashback are set around Christmas of 2009?
>>
>>49679294
>BBC might not be /pol/, but you surely are
Even when I agree with /pol/? Even if I directly oppose national-socialism and dream of a world where it never came into fruition and/or never gained a following in a major European country?

>Ever heard about revanchism?
I have, that's why you should either give your enemies nothing they want to avange or simply not the means to avenge it.
>Hurf durf /pol/
Machiavellianism. Or is Machiavelli /pol/ too now? I guess Robert Greene is now /pol/ too, considering we see something comparable in his 48 Laws of Power.

Seriously, get rid of the /pol/ boogeymen and try to actually engage those you disagree with. You're worse than /pol/, because at very least /pol/ is willing to hear "shills" out.
>>
>>49679368
>Even when I agree with /pol/?
*DISagree
Fucking hell, I need to proofread.
>>
File: tipping.jpg (39KB, 401x338px) Image search: [Google]
tipping.jpg
39KB, 401x338px
>>49679368
>Unironically quoting the Big M
>>
File: stormnigger are furfags.jpg (174KB, 1306x354px) Image search: [Google]
stormnigger are furfags.jpg
174KB, 1306x354px
>>49679368
Oh, there is a way to engage with your kind. It goes something like this:
(You)

Have you notice the subject of this thread? Or the ongoing discussions in it? At least pretend you are on topic or it's /tg/-related, you cunt. Nobody gives a flying fuck about your revisionism.
>>
>Ctrl-f
Kult. Check.
Nechronica. Check.
Wraith:The Oblivion. Miss?

Kult is bleak as fuck because as others have said, God has left. The machinery that runs reality is now busy cannibalizing itself. At least you can get some degree of power by rejecting the fake reality, but at terrible costs.

Nechronica has agonizing perspective. The average player character in nechronica is lost in a surreal nightmare realm which is the ashes of our world. They might barely know how to start a fire or cook their own dinner, let alone survive that. Most might want to just find their parents, or think there is a cure. Both are almost certainly dust in the wind.

Wraith sucks because your happily ever after, your promised afterlife is forever being a shit-scared drone in a collapsing empire, forever being a shit-scared rogue in a realm of sentient hate or forever a feeling, helpless lump of soulsteel that you have been forged into. It's hinted in the Shadow corebook that if you ascend and free yourself of all these distractions in the afterlife, where you go is WORSE.
>>
>>49679562
>Wraith:The Oblivion. Miss?
There are few reasons for this
First and foremost, the last supplement for that book came in early '99, with the bulk of publication going before '97. The game is completely discontinued ever since. Average current user of /tg/ was around 5 years old back then.
Second, it's not really that good as a game as it appears as a concept. I mean it does sound interesting at first, but soon you hit the same problem as in with Mummy - it's good for one-shots, but absolutely sucks at prolongued campaigns, as you quickly run out of stuff to do and recycling the same few basic scenarios constantly.
Third, it failed on the market, meaning it left pretty much barely any mark on the scene, even among WoD players. And since it was completely discontinued by White Wolf, it had no chance to resurface later or just gain new player base of any reasonable size after the initial one died out.

In short - it's the game that's been at this point simply forgotten by pretty much everyone who isn't hard-core WoD enthusiast.
>>
>>49671981
I think that's where they were going for, no?
>>
>>49669017
Why does he have earphones in his collar?
>>
File: 1317273676748.jpg (141KB, 637x650px) Image search: [Google]
1317273676748.jpg
141KB, 637x650px
>>49679562
>They might barely know how to start a fire or cook their own dinner, let alone survive that.

To be fair, they don't really NEED to do that anymore, though they might try just for the memory of it. The challenge in Nechronica is less about survival since you're an undead capable of cannibalizing body parts to piece yourself back together, and more about trying not to go completely mind broken at the sheer horror of it all.

You'll survive decapitation, complete dismemberment and getting shot full of holes or consumed by fire just fine. What you're got to worry about is your mental state afterwards, and a lone Doll always breaks.
>>
>>49679368
You do realize that the Prince was a satire?

Anyway, the point everyone here forgets is that the war had to happen due to economical reasons, mostly due to inequalities that chocked the whole economy. If not Germany, then Russia would do it. If not Russia or someone else, then the continent would get engulfed in revolutions. Hitler was just a child of his times, just like Napoleon. Maybe the scenario would be less bloody. Maybe the final outcome would be a bit better. But the shit had to hit the fan.
>>
>>49658422
why you be quoting Coleridge brother?
>>
>>49679687
>Why does he have earphones in his collar?

That's a lanyard so whatever is in his pocket isn't dropped when used in battle.
>>
Reign of Steel, hands down, for how unforgiving it is.

At least in the case of Twilight 2000 and similar games you are most likely some sort of organised military organisation, with training, survival knowledge and skills, gear to come with and what not.
In Reign of Steel, machines have already won and did so without anything resembling a war. They won decades ago. The sole fact you are still alive is a pure, random chance. There are no save havens, no pockets of resistance, hell, the resistance itself is heavily implied to be just a ruse run by the machines themselves to catch up as many humans as possible and wipe them out in the process. All you can do is just spending your years, weeks or hours trying to desperately survive.
And god forbid if you are born, live or just reached a Zone controlled by one of the more anti-human AIs.

This setting makes original two Terminators future film look like a cheerful and giddy place.
>>
>>49679775
>You do realize that the Prince was a satire?
You know that there's far from a concensus on this opinion, right?

>If not Germany, then Russia would do it.
Why exactly? Economical reasons played into it, but the situation in Russia was so different that Russia could not have become the new Germany. Russia was huge, France and Britain had global empires from which to draw resources. Only Germany, contained to a small speck of Europe, absolutely needed expansion one way or another (and even that can be argued, considering Bismarck said that his Africa was between France and Poland).

>If not Russia or someone else
Who. Tell me who would make a good candidate. Who had more to win from a global war than to lose? Certainly not the three aforementioned powers, certainly not isolationist America (which also had everything it needed within its borders). Germany was the wildcard: too large for Europe, too small for the world.

>Hitler was just a child of his times, just like Napoleon.
List all the wars Napoleon personally started. Now out of those wars (spoiler: there's only two), list all the ones that can be considered pre-emptive strikes (spoiler: also two). Napoleon was the one who brokered for the Treaty of Amiens, remember? The one that was supposed to give the French Republic peace to consolidate itself. The one that was violated by the Coalition.
>>
>>49655984
The saddest setting is the one presented by an unhappy and furious DM. I've seen a lot of this, and not only in online games. There's something (I won't say special) about witnessing the full depth of someone's unhappiness and unfreedom that is hard to put to words. Especially when you're coming into a game with the intent to enjoy yourself and make others enjoy the time spent with you.

There's also a very close runner-up. It's settings you only partake in because of a social obligation. I bet a ton of people here have participated in at least one. Remember that time your best friend was DMing 3.pf and you had to participate because he or she helped you out with something else? Or when you were nagged for a month to join a game with strangers, only to find out it's secretly a Sailor Moon game or something equivalent the nagger was sure you wouldn't enjoy?
>>
>>49680117
I'm not saying that Napoleon was a genocidal maniac like Hitler, just that he lived in times when war had to happen and if not him someone else would lead French armies.

Also, let's say I just believe in what Trotsky said: imperialism is the final stage of capitalism. Sure, French and British outsourced their imperialism offshore. But the rest of Europe couldn't. I don't know, maybe Brits and French could play sheriffs. Maybe it would end up just with USSR having a border on Oder. It still wouldn't be pretty.
>>
Africa post ww2.
>>
>The saddest setting is the one presented by an unhappy and furious DM

As much as I love Evangelion, Hidetaki Anno would have been a shite dm
>>
>>49680964
My pipe dream is still to try and talk to the man. I have no idea if he has a public email or if he even speaks English, but I believe he'd have a lot of interesting things to say about today's world. Also, probably, a lot of good questions I didn't even consider needed asking.
We live in a society where we are required to be happy, by corporations, by the government, and by anyone under the influence of the media. In such a place, anyone who can externalize his rage in such a good way probably has a lot of useful information.
Also, I have no idea how you guessed I liked Evangelion from my post.
>>
>>49680922
Why do you even reply to that moron? The last thing he should be given is attention
>>
>>49680117
>2016
>Unironically believing in Lebensraum bullshit
I rest my case
>>
>>49680922
I guess that kind of makes sense. Though I believe that the end result of capitalism isn't imperialism per se, but more some kind of "enforced" free market system. More or less what we see in Africa now: Africa simply cannot produce crops on par with those of European quality, protectionist leaders (even the ones that do literally nothing wrong like Sankara) are disposed of, Western crops are bought (or even worse: given) to the population and local farmers are out of a job, forced to beg for food like the rest of the population rather than grow it.

That detour aside, the biggest problem with Germany at the time was IMO a highly increased and escalated militarism as well as abandoning Bismarck's conservative policies (blame for both in part falls on the shoulders of Wilhelm II, who got rid of Bismarck and had this crazy love-hate complex for the British). If something could've been changed, it'd have to be changed perior to the ascencion of Wilhelm II. After that it was already too late and the radicalization of German nationalism/militarism unavoidable.

>>49681291
You sound mad.

>>49681427
What's so bullshit about the idea that Germany's economy needed more resources? We had already seen this desire for expansion in Germany's pre-war foreign policy: a desire to expand colonially even if it means butting heads with the established powers, escalating in the literal gunboat diplomacy of the Morocco Crisis (which France had already called dibs on). As for this idea about "Lebensraum" in particular, you're one World War too early. But the economical need (or at the very least desire) for resources cannot be questioned.
>>
>>49656028
The world is also one big illusionary prison with humans being indoctrinated cosmic horrors that have no idea about their true nature and everything else hates them for some reason.
>>
>>49656080

He's lauded by comedians everywhere and directly influenced most of the following generation of big name comedians just like he followed Richard Prior.

And he's sitting on millions from real wins, he may have happily wrapped up his creative career years ago and is satisfied just popping his head out and doing garbage simply to maintain his mountain of gold, which fuels whatever his new passions are.

Rick Moranis gave up his career for his kids and was happy to do it. Disappearing from the spotlight doesn't mean you've failed, it can just be switching priorities.

And the first Shrek is legitimately a great film and Eddy was a significant factor in its success. Sure it was followed by mostly garbage but it's hardly a stain in his name. Shrek 1's Donkey is the result of a talented, passionate performer doing a great job.

Anyway a better sad story would be someone like Billy Zane. He was almost a superstar but just couldn't make it, but seemingly never gave up because he's been headlining total D grade drivel for years since Titanic.

Or Robin Williams, an objectively sad situation where one of world's greatest talents was completely destroyed by alcoholism and depression. He still fucking had it in him to be great in his later years but he was being devoured from the inside
>>
>>49681621
Or Robin Williams, an objectively sad situation where one of world's greatest talents was completely destroyed by alcoholism and depression.
Actually it was dementia:
http://www.eonline.com/news/712549/robin-williams-secretly-suffered-from-lewy-body-dementia-understanding-the-disease-and-how-it-eventually-led-to-his-death
>>
>>49681599
I thought 40k was the most popular game.
>>
>>49679863
14 year-old most-of-us thought Dragonlance was the bee's knees. A decade or two later and we think of it as the most forgettable, worthless setting around. The setting hasn't changed, and that's what makes it sad.
>>
File: 1468270408794.jpg (85KB, 804x802px) Image search: [Google]
1468270408794.jpg
85KB, 804x802px
>>49655992
>>
>>49681209
I didn't, but the "witnessing the full depth of someone's unhappiness and unfreedom" made me think of Eva

Apparently he's gotten much better now, which can be seen in rebuild at least the first two, third is batshit

I think the characterisation of Rei and the fact that Shinji and Gendo had some somewhat nice interaction stood out to me as signs he's gotten much better.

Whether that's good for his art is another question, however
>>
>>49671981
>On the other hand, I find the theme that everything will repeat itself kind of comforting.
I want the memes of DS2 to die.
>>
>>49681654
>alcoholic
>extreme coke user

Both of those make people very depressed. Cocaine abuse as a general rule eventually makes people unable to be happy at any point in their day due to all the damaged receptors in their brain.

He might have whatever the hell they're talking about in that article, but honestly it just sounds like they don't want to say he died from cocaine abuse because that sounds less socially acceptable.
>>
>>49655984
Alpha Centauri

Think about it:
- Earht is dead, and with it, the entire human race
- the promised new start turns out to be a dead world
- said dead world is a sentient being that treats foreing conscious (i.e. humans) like deasese and tries to eradicate it with its immunological system
- most of local "fauna" is perfectly capable of mind-raping you and then planting eggs into your still conscious, still functional brain, while barely anything can kill those things
- what's left of humanity is divided into squabbling factions fighting each other over both resources and their ideology
- every last human being is a fanatic by default; with technological progress, the term "human" itself cease to apply anymore
- scary aliens with agenda that is barely comprehensible to human mind come with the visit to check on their experiment with said dead world, and then don't like uninvited guests
>>
>>49678957
Well maybe you shouldnt have been such an asshole to your old man.
>>
>>49682677
>but honestly it just sounds like they don't want to say he died from cocaine abuse because that sounds less socially acceptable
Something similar happend few years ago in my country. One of very prominent menbers of anti-communist movement and well-respected professor had a fatal car accident. The guy was on medical marihuana due to his cancer, but it was in the midst of all-nation anti-drug campaign, so the then-in-power government decided to red tape the whole thing and pretend the guy simply fell asleep behind the wheel.
The actuall outcry the red tape caused when the thing leaked few weeks later caused much more damage than saying outright how the situation really happend and was less accepted than the old, terminally ill guy smoke a joint of two.
>>
>>49658180
Isnt it: SALE, baby shoes, never worn?
>>
>>49658422
The brother was a real cunt.
Deserves to kive in a world with kender.
>>
>>49683704
The irony is that he probably did just fall asleep at the wheel. Marijuana has not been shown in studies to impair one's driving ability. Unless he was absolutely out of his gourd stoned then the mundane answer is the most likely answer.
>>
>>49655984
Welll theres a mod for skyrim that had pretty good writing and a depressing setting.

Your enture existance is a lie told by a bunch of elder gods who are creating a world wide extinction event to eat the souls, a process they have been doing for an eternity. Every action you take is a machination of them and they are so hunkered down and prepared so nothing can really be done.

Only with the help of a literal rng elder god casting the lucky dice do you get two options. Let everything die and wait a thousand years in your immortal lie body to meet the new life or kill yourself and give the world a few more years.
>>
Empty Rooms. Look it up, it's one of those completely obscure hipster games.

It's about people with the power to travel between alternate Earths, of which there are 13, each of them having experienced some kind of apocalyptic event thematically inspired by one of the stages of grief.

It's... really a special experience to read through. The depressing ass black and white art doesn't help.
>>
File: Hemingway.png (11KB, 382x363px) Image search: [Google]
Hemingway.png
11KB, 382x363px
>>49683705
Nah, it's "For sale: Baby shoes, never worn"
>>
>>49679074
I concur on SLA, in the same vein
HoL: look it up, i can't do it justive
Paranoia: /tg/ classic, played for laughs but in the darkest possible way
Corporation: SLA light
>>
>>49684045
Requesting any link to go on. Googling "empty rooms" in a gaming context gets you nowhere.
>>
How about Blindsight/Echopraxia setting? We have resurrected an apex predator species specializing in hunting us, because they are supremely intelligent and we want to monetize that. Turns out we can't control them. Reality is a cyberpunk dystopia so depressing people run away into simulspaces. Terrorism kills millions with designer plagues. Consciousness turns out to be an evolutionary dead end. Compared to alien octopuses without it we, with all our technology and cunning are like naive children in a mall full of pedophiles.
>>
>>49684277
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=104277&test_epoch=0

My apologies, it's "Broken Rooms".
>>
>>49684558
No apologies necessary friend.
>$24.99 for a pdf
Artsy hipster shit it is!
>>
>>49684865
It's like 400 pages or so, I remember downloading it ages ago. It's not just some itsy bitsy story game.
>>
>>49684909
I am somewhat intrigued. I'll look at the usual suspects for a pdf, thanks for guiding the way.
>>
>>49681599
>everything else hates them for some reason.
Humanity is hated because humans were a bunch of assholes. Like, to a higher degree than everything else, humans were assholes. That whole talk about the good in everyone is bullshit. Deep down, the one true universal quality in humans is that each and every one of them, every single one, is an asshole of the highest order, and that is one of the few things that the vast majority of the cosmos can agree on.

I honestly wouldn't call it a very sad setting, though.
>>
>>49679775
No The Prince was a serious treatise on how a Prince should rule if he wants to remain a Prince. Machiavelli favoeed republicanism, but he preferred a stable and independent "Italy" more.
>>
>>49685480

Sure, it's TOTALLY not a satirical attack on the crooked despots who seized power and threw him out of his cushy job he loved.
>>
>>49685614
^
The Prince was the Renaissance equivalent of the neckbeard who gets so buttblasted by someone trashing his Sonic the Hedgehog OC that he writes a 20,000 word blog post about it that becomes infamous throughout the internet.
>>
>>49685277
I would say Kult is sad in the manner of everything we know being entierly without any real value.
>>
>>49685818
I would say it does have some value. Even if all we know is just the inside of a prison, it's still not an altogether uncomfortable experience. And the alternative is just outright horrifying. I think there's an argument to be made that the illusion is preferable to the reality.
>>
File: 1454289850320.gif (6KB, 355x200px) Image search: [Google]
1454289850320.gif
6KB, 355x200px
>>49674131
>He thinks the Germans caused WW1
>>
>>49686352
that's sadly the way of the world anon
I don't know much about WW3, but I know 4 things
>It will be caused by an austrian
>germany will be pulled in
>germany will be fucking destroyed
>austria gets off scot free

but enough of this, we're on /tg/

The saddest setting I know of is the night land
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Land

>humanity is almost dead
>they hide in gigantic arcologies
>they can't get out cause they are surrounded by monsters
>every call for help off-planet just summons more monsters
>the power is slowly fading
>>
>>49656366
Wrong. There is a fifth and sixth outcome.

5) You become non-sentient undead. Just as shitty as option 1, but at least you get more scenery than "cosmic wall"

6) You become a sapient undead, like a vampire or a lich. And you kick ass forever if you play your cards right.
>>
>>49685954
Just saying that things in Kult only has value because you have been duped into thinking so. Happiness as we know it is not real in Kult.
>>
>>49685702
Saving this for posterity
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.