[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 25

File: dragonturtle.jpg (149KB, 640x496px) Image search: [Google]
dragonturtle.jpg
149KB, 640x496px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Suddenly, Wizards announces Monster Manual 2. What monsters do you want to see (other than a bigger dragon turtle)?
>>
>>49650746
Are there guides to creating monsters?

Also, why is every monster or NPC xd8?
>>
Im a long time DM and my group of newbies are about to hit their first proper town.

What are your quintessential urban encounters, DM's of /tg/? So far im thinking fortune tellers, witnessing an exotic dance troupe, a trip to the gambling den to get cheated out of money... Give me your best ones.

In answer to the question, monster manual 2 should include a bunch of guidelines for making campaign level villains, much like the book of villains for 2e did.
>>
>>49650772
Literally the DMG AND MM desu
>>
>>49650772
Monster HP is based off size. Medium creatures have 1d8's, Large creatures have 1d10's, Huge creatures have 1d12's and anything larger has 1d20's.
>>
>>49650772
>Are there guides to creating monsters?
>>49650776
>a bunch of guidelines for making campaign level villains
This shit is in the DMG guys, if you want more of it, it belongs in DMG 2, or a separate addendum. Monster Manuals are for prefab creatures and lore.
>>
>>49650746
I'd love to see a smaller Dragon-turtle, preferably around CR4-5, I'm playing a Turtle-themed coastal druid and would adore being able to thematically summon one of those in place of Conjure Elemental.
>>
>>49650823
>>49650823
Just giving an answer to get past the duplicate block since the old thread is still hanging onto life and i reposted my question senpai. Funny enough I was actually reading through the tables to roll for villain motivations there for my game on friday.

Perhaps it could instead give a bunch of premade villains with backstories and motivation to serve as campaign end bosses?
>>
File: ek.jpg (38KB, 395x435px) Image search: [Google]
ek.jpg
38KB, 395x435px
>>49650746
Could the ek have an extra cantrip? The arcane trickster starts with 3 and goes to 4 where the ek only gets 2-3
>>
>>49650856
Unfortuantely, I don't really have an answer for your actual question. I guess a carnival always does well, maybe give them a chance to win some low lvl magic items? Any kind of contest will do that well, like drinking contest, arm wrestling, etc.
>>
>>49650803
>>49650816
>>49650823
How about "to hit"? Now that they've gotten rid of BAB.
>>
>>49650932
Thats a great idea actually - maybe the competition prizes are cursed and the ringmaster just needs "willing" people to take them to get the curse off himself.

I'm a fan of using the trinkets table to give players weird little low level magic items, then when they identify them it turns out they've got weird as shit magical effects. It's worked amazing so far.
>>
>>49650910
Can someone please answer to this? Even if just to tell that it is a shit idea
>>
File: 1474216772569.jpg (142KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474216772569.jpg
142KB, 960x720px
>>49650910
Well, it certainly wouldn't be overpowered. But as an EK you are going to get GFB/Booming Blade and maybe something a little more supportive. Not like that extra cantrip would make much of a difference.
>>
File: senshi_dungeon_meshi_92768.jpg (26KB, 201x284px) Image search: [Google]
senshi_dungeon_meshi_92768.jpg
26KB, 201x284px
Would you reward your players for cooking and eating the monsters they kill? If so, what would you reward them with?
>>
>>49651029
I know But since i cant scale its spell list up to 5th level cause it would be weird At least i wanted to give it something else
>>
>>49651035
random 2-3 days buffs depending from the monster.
Malus if they eat humanoids.
>>
Tg, is there a 5e equivalent to the Helm of Opposite Allignment?
>>
>>49650910
Arcane Trickster start with 3 because they are force to take Mage Hand.

>>49651029
GFB/BB is bad for EK since it can't be use with extra attack.
>>
>>49651180
There are items that do t it's just I don't believe that is the main purpose. Go through the DMG you will find them. I know some artifact weapons do it.
>>
>>49650910
Moon Druid also cap at 4 cantrip. I don't see the problem, if you want more you can take feat.
>>
>>49651180
No cus alignment is basically meaningless in 5e
(they should have just got rid of it altogether)
>>
>>49651218

Ah, there's this magic item a bad guy has that is forever attuned to her while she lives, and can only be used by evil.

I'm thinking if I could change her alignment, she would no longer fill the requesites and the attunment would snap, and I would no longer have to look over my shoulder for the dragon wrath of an archmage
>>
>>49651199
so you say go for it?
>>
>>49651191

I just scanned through the whole thing and the only one I found is possibly a plane shift to bytopia, which is a bit over my paygrade
>>
>>49651180
I hope not. That's always been one of the stupider magic items.
>>
If all feats are banned, what's a fun class to play?
>>
>>49651352
The balance card from a deck of many things does that. But nothing explicitly switches the alignment. If anything they switch to a specific alignment more than anything.
>>
>>49651394
Spell caster
>>
>>49651410

I thought of it, but its way out of control for me.
>>
>>49651394
Basically any caster. Feats are the only thing that lets martials keep up, because they're balanced around having to pay the feat tax.
>>
How do I role play of a cleric if our wizard has a celestial familiar of the animal whose god I worship? (Like Athena and owls, or zeus and ravens and so on..)
>>
>>49651480
Recognize that familiars are simply spirits assuming the form of animals, and but the animals themselves.
>>
>>49651199
could you answer me? DIdn't you mean that it could be okay?
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 210x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 210x300px
>>49651218
Like most things, that's entirely true in the vacuum of one isolated combat encounter. If your DM doesn't address your alignment in social encounters that would be a shame honestly.
>>
>>49651394
If you want to still play a martial class then open fist monk would be my suggestion as you don't need any feats with them.
>>
File: 1-BUDAI statue.jpg (153KB, 843x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1-BUDAI statue.jpg
153KB, 843x1200px
>>49651532
Your DM shouldn't address your alignment in social encounters ever. Alignment is the mechanical abstraction of a character's values in the way they relate to the absolute morality of old D&D universes. Characters should react to how your they perceive character acts, not what's written on a sheet. The notation of alignment is supposed to be based on a sum of your actions for all time from an omniscient perspective.
There are only a handful of magic items and such things that interact with alignment, like the talismans of pure good and ultimate evil. Those are alright. And the planes affecting alignment are fine, what do you expect to happen if you expose your mortal character to a good paradise or corrupting hell? But the helm is stupid, since it doesn't affect your character's ego in a specific way (like the perspective granted by planes' influence) and just says "lol swap the thing that describes how you act, then change how you act based on that" which is ass backwards.
>>
Can a Simulacrum benefit from the Spell Mastery feature? If so, can they change their mastery spells?
>>
>>49651416
>>49651470
The party already has a Druid and a Sorcerer. Would a Cleric be a good fit?

>>49651470
That does sound interesting. How do monks hold up generally at low levels?
>>
My Fighter wants to tie a rope to his greataxe and make it like a makeshift flail. He understands that there will be setbacks but as a DM, I'm not sure what's a good caveat so we can reach a middle ground with this decision.
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 474x711px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 474x711px
>>49651634
That's an interesting way of looking at it.

If you want your characters to define themselves by what they do during the course of the campaign that makes sense. But me and my group have always enjoyed the idea of vices, similar to what you see in 5e backgrounds, or other character flaws that can bite you in the ass when you don't expect it. This is how we view and use alignment - something to be cognizant of when making decisions. Sometimes players have great ideas, but those are in direct contrast to what their characters would actually do given their alignments.

Of course the system isn't perfect and it's impossible to boil everything down to black and white, but we very much enjoy acting our characters especially when they're in contrast to our actual personalities. It forces us as players to step outside the box and look at things from a different angle. Especially at lower levels before specifics based on prior behaviour can be addressed (which I think is part of what you're eluding to and I agree with completely).

Mind you, RAW alignments don't do anything like this. But we've been using this basic alignment table so long that it feels bizarre to throw it out. We would feel unchained sure, but that's not exactly what we want.

As for this "old D&D moral system" I have no idea what that is so I can't comment. Fwiw it's interesting to see how other groups view alignment in general because it is a divisive topic.
>>
>>49651717
Cleric is always a strong choice.

You can shoot jesus lasers or hit bitches with a mace, and buff allies or debuff enemies, whatever your party needs.

Just don't fall into the healing trap.
>>
>>49651770
that's stupid. like really stupid
>>
File: 1474392141880.jpg (179KB, 1192x670px) Image search: [Google]
1474392141880.jpg
179KB, 1192x670px
>>49651784
The alignment should be descriptive of the character based on the sum of their actions and their outlook on themselves and the world. That isn't to stay you couldn't start building a character by saying "I want to play someone Lawful Evil." but then one should strive to build a character who fits that description due to how the world has treated them and how they treated it back. Someone should never be blocked from an action because "Well, I'm lawful good..." Rather, they should think "Well, I'm a very to-the-letter do-gooder, a real poster boy of hope and service, which happens to be reflected by my Lawful Good alignment. My character wouldn't do this because they would break moral and personal code." Or, if someone does act "out of alignment" consistently and not just in occasional lapses of character, their alignment may have shifted as their personality and ego change- or it may have been recorded incorrectly to begin with. This could have been done due to a lack of knowledge of the character or their muse before playing them, or due to a misunderstanding of the alignment boundaries, or a willingness to qualify for certain class options or items, or a willingness to participate in a party or campaign where they really shouldn't use that character...

Now, thanks to these it's a damn good thing 5e has taken away alignment restrictions on classes and tied it basically just to a few select special and very powerful magical things. They understand what it should be. One does not simply swap an alignment and act differently- they would need their whole outlook and persona changed, and thus the descriptor would change to match.
>>
>>49651784
Instead of alignment, for my current campaign I asked my players a bunch of questions about their characters. What difficult code or ethos do they struggle to uphold? What event(s) made them the person they are today? What secret can't they let the rest of the party learn of? Who have they hurt in the past, and who has hurt them? What drives them to adventure and heroism? I will 100% admit that I'm biased here, but I think players role-play better when they frame their characters in this way instead of sorting themselves into an alignment spectrum.
>>
I'm working on a new Eberron Campaign for my players, i like to try and plan out the entire thing and when diversions come up have fun with them. It's worked well in the past. But now Im having trouble. Act 2 of my campaign sends the players to the Eldeen Reaches, The Mournland and finally Xen'drik. Eldeen deals with, binding am elemental as the plane aligns and disrupts them, and as a side quest to kill some mad elf trying to break a seal and let loose a Daelkyr. Mournland they need to capture a living spell and deal with some of the Lord of Blades minions. Then in Xen’Drik they delve into giant ruins searching for the maguffin enhancer to begin act 3.

Thinking about it last night, i can have the elemental and living spell all be in Xen'drik, sure i dont deal with the Daelkyr or Lord of Blades, but Xen’Drik has a wealth of other things I could throw at them. I'm really at a loss of keeping things the way they are or cuttin and consolidation of what I have.

How do you guys work through complications like this?
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 564x789px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 564x789px
>>49651861
We're really just arguing implementation here based on what our respective groups enjoy. You feel like your characters decisions should be based on how they feel their characters should act. I feel like the classic alignment table still has uses in the potpourri of character restrictions/vices/faults/etc and we enjoy using it as a very tangible check, as we've done since ad&d back in high school. There's no point arguing the better way.

But the original comment that replied to said alignment should have been removed in this edition and I wanted to disagree that's all really. Even if how we choose to implement it differs, taking it out of D&D completely would feel ... un-D&D.

>inb4 OSR
>>
>>49651770
I agree with >>49651858
So maybe make it so that he can only attack in a burst centered on himself (swinging it round), with a hefty attack penalty.

Also, why can't he get an actual flail?
>>
Is there any reason to use a spear over a javelin, apart from being able to use a spear two-handed (which I'll admit, might be important in some specific instances)?

Is there any reason, at all, to use a trident over a spear, apart from it being slightly cooler? Because in all other aspects, a trident is just a downgrade from a spear.
>>
>>49651984
It's basically versatile at the expense of throw distance. Like most baseline weapons, the differences are negligible in the grand scope of a campaign, as ASMs play an increasingly prominent role in damage "range".

If you use a home brew expanded weapon table it becomes more interesting, as spears tend to become one of the only (along with quarterstaff generally) weapons capable of disadvantaged reach.

In general early on take whatever you think suits the story and style of your character the most and then wait until you find something magical.
>>
>>49650746
>Suddenly
We've known about Volo's Guide to Monsters for a while now...
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 210x330px
>>49651984
Trident like a lot or other weapons (including exotics) can have non combat uses and applications you can think up beyond combat encounter damage. Like you wouldn't be able to lift a flaming basket with a spear but a trident would be able to support it underneath because of the three prong "base" so you could lift and toss it. It might also have bonuses when you're trying to tie a rope to it and throw, have it attach to a moving wagon, so you can drag behind, where a single spear with a normal point might not have the same hold that three barbed points would. Stuff like that.
>>
How do I Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>49652354
True, of course, but from what I understand, VGM will have relatively few new monsters, and a bigger focus on background and lore for the existing ones. Personally I'm excited by this, I love the lore in the current MM, it really helps me flavor the encounters.
>>
>>49652357
Thank you, I actually had not thought of this. Although I imagine it depends on your DM whether this actually comes into play.
>>
>>49650746
well reading through old monster compendiums some really grabbed my attention. Briarbones. blackberry cat, dracolisk, harrla,silver dog. Shit that is intresting an fun to fight where you can apply different strategy than murder-stabbing. Like with the harrla where you can use Calm Emotions to hurt it or talk to the victim to free it from the influence. Imagine investigation adventure centered around crimes due to harrle influence. Stuff like that need to be updated to 5e
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 236x354px
>>49652487
True! Everyone sees D&D differently, but I would hope most DMs would reward creative problem solving in the interest of crafting a story together with the players.
>>
>>49651770
Improvised weapons do 1d4 damage, Let him do it but enforce the rules.
>>
>>49650746

My copy of the kobold press monster manual is waiting on my doorstep when I get home. I hope to gleam some inspiration from that :)

I would like to see expanded variations of current "base" enemy types personally. Like we have skeletons let's see skeletal mages, etc.
>>
>>49652675
Because I'm evil: are there scans?
>>
>>49652734
I'm sure there are. It was on kickstarter with indexed PDFs as rewards so, there's no doubt great ones out there. I just have few vices so I spend on physical books to populate my shelves. Doing otherwise doesn't make you evil lol
>>
Strange question but to anyone who lived off the rulebooks as PDFs, did you ever end up getting the physical copies? Do you still use the PDFs during play or do you refer to the physical copies?
>>
Okay, say you're an evil demonic BBEG, and you live at the top of a tower. Living at the top is non-negotiable because you're egotistical as fuck.

You're cunning and sneaky and you want to make sure that no level 6 adventurers can get up. The main party doesn't know Fly, but you also can't straight up make <unbreakable door/wall/etc>: they can blast through anything like that, with enough time.

If you have any other GM fiat magic at your disposal, what do you put in the tower to stop the PCs making their way up?

>Strongest monster right after the entrance on the first floor
>Teleport traps that just send them outside the tower again
>Puzzles that look like they lead to the next floor but the real trick is that they're actually just there to waste time and grind down the PCs
>??

(None of these will be played straight, the PCs will have some NPCs give hints about all this, but I just want the general feeling 'this BBEG doesn't dick around and if you went in blindly you'd have been fucked')
>>
>>49652829
You can ctrl+f a pdf.
Can't do that for a real book.
>>
>>49652829
As a DM, I hate using electronic stuff at an actual table, so I have hardbacks. I feel that using a laptop for my notes or anything means that I'm cut of from my players, so all my notes are typed out and printed in an enormous binder.
>>
>>49652834
Can the BBEG know Fly? You could do it Telvanni style and have the upper block of the tower require the ability to move vertically to navigate forcing the party to break out the climbing gear (There may or may not be guards on the intervening levels to do things like cut the ropes as they try to make their way up.)
>>
>>49652434
Warlock multiclass. Pact of the tome, silent image at will. Wizard multiclass, conjuration. Stay out of every fight, but deliver conjured bombs via familiar and massage hand, while getting sneak attacks off through illusionary walls.
>>
>>49652675
Er. You're talking about the Tome of Beasts, yes?

That PDF is in the Mega, under Third Party.
>>
DMs, do you hint players on possible ideas to overcome encounters? Sometimes, I feel my table, as creative as they can be, can be dense of obvious solutions that sometimes I make vague "Why don't you consider looking at your skills?" like some breadcrumb to let them realizes that they can use Sleight of Hand to nick off the key from the guardsman.
>>
>>49651984
there's also the UA feat "spear mastery", it's pretty interesting for spearman builds
>>
>>49652897
The BBEG can reshape the tower to his will: the floors don't need to be conventionally passable by any stretch.

He could even just up and say 'there are no stairs ever, the whole tower is solid stone apart from my room on top', but that would mean the PCs would climb the outside and blow open the wall where it's thinnest.

He'd much prefer baiting the PCs into thinking they have a chance inside, then grinding down on their morale or stamina until they slip up.

More specifically, in a normal dungeon, you have the feeling 'These traps and puzzles are all here to get in our way, but there's always a way to get past'.
For the tower, I want the design to feel 'Wait, if we didn't have help, there's /no way/ we would have gotten past'. Either because it would have been almost impossible or because there were traps they would have walked right into.

Yes this is the final boss of the campaign
>>
My players are currently burned out after solving a 1.5 year long murder mystery campaign that spanned 1 in-game month. Good fun and all but damn, they've decided to leave the city and traverse elsewhere and during the post-session discussion, they've asked me they wanted something smaller-scale. Something not too plot-heavy. Just them being their characters. One suggested manning a watchtower they've found during the previous campaign cause the owner of the land was looking for like-minded folk to guard the frontier land.

I quite like the idea cause I have some nice hooks for that but I'm not sure how to translate a guard post adventure into 5e's ruleset.
>>
>>49652829
I got all the books on pdf first so I could learn to play the game.

I decided on the book when I started IRL games cause it's nice to have pages to flip to and I realized I haven't supported Wizards yet even though I'm playing their game.
>>
What are some ideas for feats for psionic character, such as those using the Mystic class from the Unearthed Arcana?
>>
>>49653017
If he can change it an area that seems to be a maze including vertical segments in which he's actually just keeping them trapped on the same two or three floors? Until they backtrack and realize they don't recognize whats behind them they're stuck then they're looking at busting through or another unconventional navigation method (maybe as soon as they start breaking down walls or the like the dungeon stops warping because he decides to try a different tactic.)
>>
How are you guys enjoying Storm King's Thunder?
>>
>>49653141
Very well written, very open. I like it. :)
>>
I'm looking for some advice. My players have disguised themselves and have snuck into the local military garrison looking for some documents. Its not vital to the story that they find these documents, but it will help them win favor with an important NPC.

What's an interesting or fun way for them to search for documents in disorganized filing cabinets while not arousing the suspicion of the guards?
>>
I've been thinking about a tweak to melee fighting, to make it more mobile. I want something like pirates of the Caribbean, where fights move, instead of standing in place.

So the main rule is this. As part of the attack action, in melee you can also move, up to your tensing movement for the turn. If at least one attack is successful, you can force the victim of that attack to move as well, but only in the direction you are facing. Movement done this way provokes opportunity attacks as normal.

Thoughts on how to make this rule better?
>>
>>49650934
there is a table with all of this in the dmg in the section on page 273 titled "creating a monster"
>>
>>49653173
Do you have any trash filing cabinets of your own, anon? Old desk, antiquated but nonvital family records, or just a bunch of extra paper? Have them actually do it. On timers, of course, to determine when they need to hide/cause distraction, and use their character's modifiers whenever possible.
>>
>>49653141
It seems pretty good. I'm looking forward to running it in November (once this campaign wraps up). I also like that it acts as a campaign setting guide.

Only complaint would be that it looks like you have to do a decent amount of foreshadowing in order for players to solve some puzzles or care about some NPCs. Specifically the Giant Rune puzzle. That's just not solveable as its written in the book.
>>
>>49652938
Yeah. I'm sure the other dude lookin for PDFs will find it
>>
>>49653061
If you didn't actively refer to it and I just missed it, check out the "Manning a Remote Watchtower" thread on sup/tg/

Literally everything you need in one thread for this.
>>
>>49653239
Oh wow, that's actually a funny coincidence. I bought a filing cabinet at a yard sale last weekend and haven't put my files in it yet.

That could be really fun.
>>
>>49653282

Jesus christ, it's everything I needed for this.

Thanks, anon!
>>
>>49653313
No problem, report back with how it goes if you run it, no one's really done a proof of concept that I can think of.
>>
>>49653141

I had my doubts cause I never really dug giant lore but the adventure is well-made and things are more well organized and made me realize that I wish Cuse of Strahd had something like the Dramatis Personae section esp how NPC heavy that one was.

But with out Out of the Abyss, Curse of Strahd and Storm King's Thunder went, I'm really looking forward to the next adventure. Sadly I don't think we'll hear about it any time soon.
>>
>>49650910

Sage background. No problem.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 400x400px
>>49652963
Personally I don't. I feel like any advice is a slippery slope to making the adventure feel on the rails. I find it more engaging and rewarding as a DM to have to improvise a situation you didn't plan on, such as your adventurers not getting those keys, despite having planning the following events around it.
>>
Question about Darkness.

If say Bad Wizard is in the center of the 15-feet radius darkness in the center of a 50ftx50ft room, with the rules, he doesn't see shit and the Darkness can only be illuminated by magical light. To me, I see Darkness as changing the POV of the affected creature as if the entire room is dark even beyond the 15-feet radius.

What I'm asking is, if say Cleric decides to use Light just outside the radius, will Bad Wizard, from the Darkness see the Light but only see the 20ft illuminated area the Light cast as if he was seeing the light in a dark room beyond the 15-ft Darkness? Or does he not see shit at all?
>>
>>49652829
My group has all of the books, but generally everyone prefers to use a pdf on their phone/laptop.
>>
>>49653443
I'd say whatever makes the encounter more interesting in your (or the GM's if that's not you) opinion. Once you decide make that the property of the magic for sure from now on, even if that's not how it's worked up to now.
>>
>>49653443
the darkness blocks line of sight like a wall would so he won't see anything outside the radius magical light or otherwise.
>>
>>49650746
>What monsters I'd like to see

Elemental themed animals for once would be cool monsters.
We already have Frosrwolves for example so pump out the fire, wind and earth versions.
>>
>>49653622
hellhounds have fire covered
>>
>>49651984
Spear is better exclusively on monks who get to use it with Dex both in melee and range.

There's the spear mastery feat from UA which trades bonus action for 5ft reach.
>>
>>49652434
Use mage hand to drop things like acid vials or alchemists fire from a safe distance.
>>
>>49652834
Poisonous miasma on all floors.
>Be BBEG
>Equivalent to a lvl 11 PC
>Have poison immunity

Laugh at the party.

Make the inside of the tower an artificial jungle with man eating plants everywhere.

Every tile you step on is a trap.

Force tight booby trapped corridors only a single person can fit through.

Basically think about Death house...
>>
So, based off of how WotC is doing the release schedule for 5E of "two adventures, one supplement", what do you think that we'll be getting in 2017?
>>
>>49652829
>>49652855

I have so many bookmarks and coloured tabs in my books memorized so I find it easier. I can just look at my phb see that green tab on the top right and know it's the page for common item weights and prices, for example. Nothing wrong with PDFs at all, I've just always used the same system and it works.

Also I can't let my collection of fancy bookmarks go obsolete lol
>>
So how do I build an Aragorn?

Hunter Ranger I guess, but I've never built a ranger before, and a friend of mines wants to play one at our table
>>
>>49653814
One Revamped adventure, One generic adventure and then the supplement will hopefully Monster Manual 2
>>
>>49653678
Can monks not throw javelins using dex? Don't have phb on me. I thought they could use dex for all simple weapons. Then again none of my group plays a monk so I really never paid much attention.
>>
How is the binding of the core rulebooks nowadays? I recall lots of reports of pages falling off the binding. I am gonna order in Book Depository so I'm hoping the latest publishing of the books are much better condition.
>>
>>49653860
Depends when in the storyline you want, but I would do Dex fighter dual wielding for early on because it suits him better game wise. The "ranger" skills Aragorn uses can all be found in skill and tool proficiencies desu.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 604x431px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 604x431px
>>49653912
Maybe I'm not as tapped in to the community as others, but I've actually never heard about the bindings being poor.

Fwiw I've never had any pages fall out, and I flip through my phb all the time including extensively while DMing and I've had it since release. None of the players in my circle have had any issues either as far as I know.
>>
>>49653860
I mean, fighter.

Probably battlemaster, aragorn doesn't cast magic, or have many ranger specific abilities, aside from favored enemy orc, but that's also everyone in lotr.
>>
>>49653912
Are you referring to the issue with the first run of PHBs? Besides the fact they sent a properly bound copy to anyone who had one and complained, no issue has happened since.
>>
How do I transition Out of the Abyss from Lost Mines? With our next session looking to be the last in the Lost Mines module, I've laid out the adventure books that I had on me and they picked OotA and one of my players who played a bit of the adventure asked me that the opening prison chapter should excite our DnD newbie buddies. Thing is, I'm not sure how to get everyone from Lost Mines to OotA.

I'm thinking of having the Black Spider tied into it since he's a Drow and possibly have Wave Echo Caves having an entrypoint to the Underdark. I'm not quite sure yet but I'm hoping to fish some ideas here. There's one side of me thinking I should let the Black Spider be related to an important drow family and a group of Drow enter Phandalin (the players have decided to dwell in there before moving onto their next adventure) and demand they come with them quietly for they killed the Black Spider or some shit which would lead into OotA.
>>
>>49654189
>Drow demanding someone come quietly
Nah. They'll just come in the night and spirit them away, killing or poisoning anyone in the way. If the party resists, they get a back full of sleep poison themselves.
>>
So my players keep using "Ready" out of combat so they can make the jump on enemies or when they are feeling cautious. Like the Wizard says, he readies his Firebolt spell, or the Ranger going he readies his bow and will loose it if he sees the orc pass by and other shit. I've been fine with this for a while but when I realized they are giving themselves guaranteed "fake surprise" rounds, I have to cut it down the middle. How do I go about this? We're still at session #5 and my players are new and I've established that rules are being thrown around until we get a middle ground so I'm sure they're open to changes. That said, do I just simply say "No, you can't do that" when I tell them about Reading out of combat, or do I just allow it?

Though so far there hasn't been much problem but it dawned to me cause when we did Lost Mines of Phandelver, the Wizard, and Dex-based Fighter and our Rogue who "Readied" themselves took a shot of three orcs when they were in Wyvern Tor, giving huge amounts of damage on them before we rolled Initiative. Should I just treat that as their surprise round? I'm not sure, I'm rather new on DMing myself.
>>
>>49654561
>When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must have a casting time of 1 action, and holding onto the spell’s magic requires concentration (explained in chapter 10).

From the PhB.
So the Wizard wastes a spell slot when readying a spell, regardless if it goes through or not.

Other than that, make the triggers less specific. e.g. he's going to attack the first thing that comes out the door, regardless if it's an orc or not. Once this goes bad a few times, they'll stop doing it.
>>
>>49652963

No, but if I feel like my players are struggling because they have missed something their character might know I might mention it or nudge.

If the answer to their problem is environmental and they are strategizing poorly I might mention to the scouty one, "you remember the room clearly. The ceiling is full of stalagmites. Littered on the floor are broken rocks and debris. There was a campfire in the far corner," and so on and so forth. Just remind them what the situation was. That's usually enough.

Or if you want to lazy DM just make them roll for insight.
>>
What are the absolute best adventures in 5e?
>>
Did CoS reuse a lot of material from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft or does it have a lot of new stuff?
>>
>>49654561
Their readied attack is absolutely the surprise round. What follows is normal initiative.

And what >>49654656 said is true, too. Readying any spell will waste its slot/components, only works for casting time of 1 action, and will take concentration.
>>
>>49655412
My homebrew campaign.

Seriously, though, my group really liked SKT. It fit with their playstyle and my DMing style well, and it was a lot of fun. I'd say calling any adventure the objective best is foolish, though.
>>
>>49655431
It reuses stuff from I6 more than anything, but it does add a ton of new stuff, like two more towns, an ancient temple, werewolf den, a crazy angel, and more.
>>
File: Chuul.jpg (102KB, 297x673px) Image search: [Google]
Chuul.jpg
102KB, 297x673px
>>49654561
The point of initiative is to determine who reacts first.

Let's say that your characters are searching an enemy stronghold, and at every doorway they say that they're going to shoot at whoever they see inside. Well, that's the point of a surprise round. They surprised the enemy, and therefore they get to go without the enemy being able to do anything.

However, this does not mean that they get a round of combat out of initiative. Whenever combat is happening, roll initiative. An example encounter might look like this:

Dingle, Bob, and Francesca are searching the Dread Glitterdome for insane rock gnomes that have fallen victim to the Glitterdoom. As they creep around, they open a door, and inside they see three gnomes, which luckily have not noticed them. They decide that they're going to attack!

So we roll initiative, which goes:
Dingle
Gnome
Bob
Gnome
Gnome
Francesca

On the first round of combat, Dingle, Bob, and Francesca take their turns in initiative order, ignoring the gnomes. On the next round, combat follows as usual.
>>
>>49654561
Let them do it but only if they take that one anti-surprise feat and it counts as their surprise round
>>
>>49653622
"no"
>>
>>49653622
You're "that guy," aren't you
>>
>>49655489
This. Surpriseanon is misunderstanding Ready, surprise, and initiative, but this post pretty much has it down.
>>
>>49653218

There are already feats and rules to accomplish this. Remember, you are always welcome to move around your opponent so long as you are remaining inside of melee range. No extra rules required. No reaction attacks unless you leave their melee range without an applicable ability. You players are always welcome to push and shove or disengage. A movement can be done after an attack or even split up, before and after if they like.

Also look at feats: Mobile, Shield Master, Tavern Brawler.

I think you are kind of trying to force something here, like a fluidity. But unless the attacker is grappling he can't force the defender to follow him if he moves around and you can't force players to fight creatively if they don't want to.
>>
Them taking the ready action to do that is perfectly fine, I think.

How I do it is if they're all readying an attack or cast a spell action, they get to. They DON'T get a surprise round unless they actually hide and try to surprise them--I'm actually fairly strict on hiding (I can expand on this if anyone wants to). I establish initiative and then their reactions go off--this uses their reactions as normal, but they don't have advantage on the attack roll unless they established surprise.

If they do manage to establish surprise and ready actions, they get both their readied action (as their reaction) and then a surprise round. This is working as intended. It also means that NPCs and monsters should be played as their stats would dictate. A smart bad guy or groups of bad guys led by a smart guy isn't going to rush in anywhere.

But, then again, I put way too much detail into my NPCs anyway.
>>
>>49651394
Monks, Rogues and Bards.

They are the only consistently fun single classes.
>>
>>49653893

RAW they can throw javelins with DEX as it is a monk weapon. They can also substitute their monk damage for the normal javelin damage even when thrown.

Same for the spear.
>>
>>49655631
Shoving doesn't accomplish the type of mobility I want. Since you sacrifice damage shoving, it is almost never worth the opportunity cost. When it is, is typically to shove someone prone. Additionally, shoving doesn't move you. Essentially, there needs to be a free way to force enemy movement, but without the possibility of shoving someone prone.

I absolutely am trying to force fluidity. Melee combat is stagnant and boring. It needs to change in my games, IMO.
>>
>4chan keeps crashing
>hiro possibly selling out
so... worse case scenario, cripple chan?
>>
You get one chance to troll your current DM, with your current character.
What do you do?
>>
>>49655805
I already have something like that planned for next session. He wants realism in a fantasy setting, he'll get realism in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>49655805
Oh, my.

Make a gnome barbarian that just, for some reason, is so damn lucky that he's unkillable. The utter rage that he would display would delight me in very bad ways.

He despises the idea of specific race + class comboes, like a gnome barbarian or gnome fighter, or a half-orc wizard. He frothes at the mouth (which is why I put them all in my campaign that I'm running when he's done with his).
>>
>>49655778

Think about a fight you are in. How would you FORCE someone to move with you? Grapple. That's your answer. Actual, physical force.

But I'm not sure what you want? Do you want to force your players to grapple? Of course, you can always have enemies grapple your players.

I've watched the same movies and I don't think you need anything special. When a swashbuckler jumps and moves back from the pirate to grab the rope to swing across the deck he hardly makes an attack. It's usually some kind of disengage. And how do you force your players who don't want to do that actually do that? I don't know. A rule change isn't going to help you. Especially considering the feat "Mobility" already elegantly solves this.

If you really want, why not give your players Tavern Brawler and Mobility at level 1 as free feats and explain that all enemies can do these things? Maybe that'll set the tone for them. Other than that I don't know.
>>
>>49655805
My group are all fairly new players, so I'd keep it simple and wait til they're all asleep, and replace their weapons with wooden replicas. For the Wizard, I'd replace his spellbook with a carefully crafted identical with different words.
>>
My friends want to play 5e, but all we've played before was 4e and used the character builder with the CBloader. Is there any sort of character builder for 5e that includes more than just the basic free stuff? I've looked around and all I can seem to find is online sites that only utilize the free basic stuff.
>>
>>49656152
Orcpub?

5e has a lot fewer derived attributes than 4e did, so you don't really need a characterbuilder as much as you used to.
>>
>>49655905
In many duels, movement happens as the attacks are happening. This is because moving backwards out of the way of an attack can be an effective defense. Of course, in dnd, moving out of an enemies range provokes an opportunity attack. This limits the ability of two or more engaged opponents to sweep across a battlefield, and encourages stagnant, stationary combat.
>>
>>49652829
I bought most of the hardback pretty soon, firstly ebcause i wanted to support WOTC, secondly because i really can't stand reading on eletronic devices, let anole pc, i lose the attention in a heartbeat, with a book, especially ones so beautifully crafted i just love to open them.
Seriously, they're worth their price.
>>
>>49652829
I haven't yet, as I don't have any real life games to play in. Maybe once I start playing I'll print out the basic rules. The hardcovers are nice but I would love a cheaper coil-bound or three ring option so I could have it lay flat at the table.
>>
>When you hit a target with a melee weapon attack, etc
Does this apply to attacks made at range with melee weapons (say, throwing your sword or a javelin)?
It's pretty dumb how melee weapon attack parses into both "weapon attack made by a melee weapon" and "weapon attack made in melee range".
>>
>>49657299
It's a weapon attack made in melee.
>>
>>49652834
The top of my tower is in space.

How's a level 6 party supposed to breathe in a vacuum, let alone survive depressurization? Anything they cast to alleviate this is going to run out long before they get to the top, while still being stuck in hypoxia zone (not to mention thermal effects).
>>
What are the best level 2 wizard spells?

I wanna pick Misty Step and Scorching Ray
>>
>>49657299
System terminology for attacks:
>category A
a ranged attack is an attack made at range.
a melee attack is an attack made in melee.
>category B
a weapon attack is an attack made with a weapon.
a spell attack is an attack made as part of casting a spell.

Apply A before B, and you'll never be confused.
>>
>>49651530
>>49651255
>>49650964

No you shouldn't as you are clearly incapable of making minor decisions. The power to modify things should not be in your hands.
>>
>>49657497
Hold person, misty step, suggestion are the three I tend to always have on my wizard regardless or overall level.
>>
>>49657628
>>49657497

I should add it depends a lot of size and composition of your party. If your party is 3 people you need a damage spell, and something like hold person is more important as a good CC and hopefully synergy with a good melee dealer. Suggestion's usefulness is also greater at smaller party counts to even the odds depending on your DM.
>>
>>49657497
You can't go wrong with misty step. You can go wrong with scorching ray.
>>
>>49652829

I get the books when I'm sure I'll like them and find the content useful. I prefer to read physical books since I have issues on screen. 5E art is shit so I havn't dropped cash on the books yet but I intend to. I'm also waiting so I can get books with corrections already made so I had use the errata downloads less.
>>
File: I was expecting more.png (18KB, 663x345px) Image search: [Google]
I was expecting more.png
18KB, 663x345px
>making an alchemist character
>look up the common items to see what potions I can make without a fuss
oh..........
>>
>>49657882
>Alchemist
with the UA feat, or with some shitty homebrew class?
>>
>>49657960
with alchemist's tools
>>
>>49657882
You can also make mundane alchemical items, which are still moderately useful: Acid, alchemist's fire, antitoxin, oil, perfume, and poison. But really, you'd be best served using alchemist as your background and focusing on other things until WotC releases more sourcebooks with more alchemical toys (or converting some from Pathfinder)
>>
>>49658084
>Wotc will never swallow their pride and admit Paizo has a couple of decent classes worth porting
Shame.
>>
>>49657882
H O M E B R E W
O
M
E
B
R
E
W
>>
>>49652734
the TOB isn0t that good desu .
>>
>literally every known table in the local area uses surprise rounds instead of the actual rule
>it isn't a locally popular house rule, it's just that the DMs all learned from somebody else and whatever groups initially started speed read the book and didn't get it right

It goes on and on with rule after rule. Nobody knows what's actually in the book.
>>
>>49658291
Sorry, what are you talking about?
What is it they do differently?
>>
>>49652834
This kind of answers your question, kind of doesnt. But if you're looking to make a tongue in cheek dungeon, I certainly have that. I've mentioned parts of this before, so it may sound familiar.
>party needs to get set of gear belonging to ancient wizard from tomb
>go to tomb, suspiciously empty- find a note that prompts them to go to "marl's marvelous maze"
>island hopping campaign, so the maze is on its own island
>set up like an amusement park. Pay for docking the boat. Pay for admission. Option to pay more for season pass. Pay to get docking validated. Get a badge, pay for water bottles too while you're at it
>maze is a spiral cave going up, with traps. Marl is a goblin and is utilizing his goblin buddies and relatives to "run" the traps. Triggers activated by the party ring little bells, goblins hiding in the walls hear the bells and do things- pushing a stone block very fast to smash the party. Release creatures on them. Shoot them through arrow slits. Push them onto spikes
>some parts of the maze, the goal is to knock party members into the "shit pit" with glowing letters that read "loser!" And leads back to the entrance, where they can pay again to go back in (where the season pass comes in)
>when the party reaches the top, there's a chuck e. Cheese style prize booth where they get a score and pick shitty prizes. Of course the wizard gear costs way more tickets than they have
>carnival/arcade games played with dice rolls that they can of course cheat on, to try and acquire more tickets to get the gear. Or else demand to see the manager. Or just kill everybody and take it.
>also an "employees only" door leading to the goblin tunnels to get revenge on all the assholes that have been shooting at them and pushing them into pits
>>
1. Does a creature know when it's under the effect of Booming Blade?

2. Does it know how the spell works and to not move? If so, after the first time, second time, et cetera? If not, can it even know without being told?
>>
>>49658121
More than a few should be made into archetypes at the very least.
>>
>>49658084
Items seem to be the thing they give the least of a fuck about in this system that flaunts a lack of character options as a feature.
>>
>>49658322
1. I'd say yes, as it's supposed to be wreathed in energy, which might be hard to disguise.

2. Depends on the creature. Something that's proficient in Arcana probably would, but lesser intelligences might not - at least not the first time. After that fact most things of int 4 or more would probably learn.
>>
>>49658322
I have not found any rules regarding this.

I think it would depend on the intelligence of the creature.
An Orc might not figure it out, a human might figure it out the first time.
>>
>>49658361
>>49658368
It would be a fairly big leap to conclude that moving is causing the damage, especially because the creature can do anything else with no problem other than walk, swim or fly.
>>
>>49658322
You don't wait for the enemy to move by themselves, you combo booming blade with dissonant whispers.
>>
>>49658437
Once or twice, they'll figure it out.
>>
>>49658277
It's actually pretty awesome---once they get around to putting out errata for it to fix the leftovers from pathfinder.
>>
>>49651247
Shouldn't you be asking your DM and not us? Even if you suddenly brought it up, your DM can just tell you it doesn't exist in his game, or that whether or not it exists is irrelevant since your character doesn't know about it.

If he's a good DM, he won't tell you anything and all the NPCs will think you're making shit up. Then you'll find the item and it won't do what you want it to do.
>>
>>49658497
uhm, personally i find most of the artworks so inconsistent and just cheap that makes the fluff mediocre, most of the monsters are just plain weird, like peice of other monsters stuck together.
The onyl redeeming quality are the humanoids/undeads, but other than that 40€ for that shit is laughable .
I would much rather suggets the Fifth Edition Foes, the artworks though crappy at least bring the feeling of the first editions and generally the monsters are actually clever.
>>
File: image.jpg (240KB, 1400x595px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
240KB, 1400x595px
>>49658121
>>49658337
I don't think the wotc staff is as aloof as you make them out to be lol.

From all the transparency and design notes especially during "next" it's clear they wanted to focus on the core classic experience and alchemists et al while cool are definitely not classic D&D. Besides that's why they opened up the license - go port those 3.P classes as best you can while avoiding copyright laws, upload them to DM guild and sell them for $1, make some extra cash.
>>
>>49658573
this, i know it's 4chan but try to think like normal people for once, perkins an everyone else at WoTC can't just "accept" other companies concepts and ideas without looking cheap or without creativity. Besides, they're all more chill thna you think and as anon said they opened to 3rd party ideas and homebrews pretty wide with this edition.
Just enjoy life for once.
>>
So i need help homebrewing a weapon
basically is a hatchet on a long length of chain so you can trip and choke and swing it around by the chain.
>>
>>49658553
Well, ToB I didn't bother buying.

Fifth Edition Foes I bought, because FGG/Necromancer Games is my favorite 3rd party publisher. I tend to buy all their stuff...
>>
>>49658307
Ok, so the 5e rule is that surprised is a condition. Fail to beat a stealth check and on your first turn of combat you can't take an action or move, and you can't take any reactions until after the end of your first turn. So some participants on one side of a combat can be surprised while others aren't, and it's possible that two sneaking characters could mutually surprise one another. If you're surprised by one creature you lose your turn even if you notice everyone else. It's similar in effect to the 3.5 rule, but it's mechanically different.

Locally they're essentially using a weird variant of the 3.5 rule which calls for determining who is aware of whom at start of combat and doing a round of combat with its own initiative order before moving on to normal combat. Which is what they seem to believe the rule is. This has since been simplified for speed in the game I play in most of the time to just collectivize the stealth checks and if enough of one side is stealthy enough in an attempted ambush they get an entire combat round in which no one on the opposing side participates.
>>
>>49658873
It seems like a minor enough difference that even with your explanation I don't fully understand - or even know which way my group is ruling it.
So I guess I just wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>49658836
I don't wanna be that guy, buuuut it sounds like you amde my point.
For the price tag (literally half the TOB'S) and what they offer Fift Edition Foes is much better as a deal.
>>
File: Rubicante.jpg (374KB, 1004x1471px) Image search: [Google]
Rubicante.jpg
374KB, 1004x1471px
Developing a quick, one-off dungeon set in Hell.

Mid-Level PCs are tasked with stealing something from a vault in the First Layer of Hell. Bronze Citadel; smash and grab.

Basically, I'm looking to develop a dungeon crawl for the Citadel. Just wondering if people had good Castle-type grid maps they like, or some other resources that might help.
>>
>>49658935
No worries! I never actually advocated *buying* it (not that anon); using it occasionally, though, definitely--at least for me, anyway. I like the stranger monsters.

I couldn't summon up the fucks to pay $50US for it, especially not after I just paid another Kickstarter.
>>
>>49657359
Magic!
>>
So how does demon summoning work in faerun?

Is it just sacrificing materials and living things in a magic circle?

Is it possible to summon a much more powerful demon than anticipated if you use different/wrong materials?
>>
>>49659018
it's all good man, as i said, i do like the undeads in it and most of the humanoids.
>>
>>49658834
Wielding ax part/throwing normally does normal damage (what, 1d6? 1d4? I forget) but the range is only 10 feet, past that is disadvantage because of the chain (normal max thrown range would still apply I guess, but the chain is only 10 feet long so you'd have to go get it)
As far as the other stuff, I'd say treat it like a net (restrained, action to untangle rather than a strength check/attacking it. Or I suppose the target could use a strength check to break the chain using the DC for it in the dmg, which I can't remember what the DC is or where exactly it is)
Or, treat it like a grapple at range, if the attack hits the target makes an acrobatics check trying to meet a DC (probably 8+str/dex mod+prof) to not be grappled, because I assume the player would want to tangle people up then move them closer. Choking, if the player says specifically that's what they're attempting to do with that attack, I'd leave up to the DM if that means anything beyond normal grapple stuff.

As it is, I'm assuming you're the DM and you're making a special weapon prize for one of your players- what ive described is basically a handaxe that lets you grapple at 10 ft instead of 5 feet, which I'd think is ok for players of lvl 5 or so. If this is supposed to be for a level 1 monk as his "varient monk weapon" like how they refer to clubs as nunchucks in the class description, I'd say no. I'd tell him it's a handax that he can retrieve easily if he throws it 10 feet, and that's still basically infinite throwing axes which is fucking good too.
>>
>>49659134
Not a gm. a player
>>
>>49659179
In that case talk to your DM
>>
>>49659202
Getting an idea first. then running it by gm for changing and whatnot
>>
I'm looking for a couple of pdfs about fantasy worldbuilding and having a little trouble. Anyone have these? Checked the troves but no luck.

The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy (3 book collection, link to 1st) - Park and Dullemond
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Writing-Fantasy-Vol/dp/1896944094/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_z

Guide to Writing Fantasy - Philip Athan
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Writing-Fantasy-Science-Fiction/dp/1440501459/ref=pd_cp_b_3
>>
>>49658834
An axe blade is never going to hit at just the right angle when swung from the end of a chain. Even with a kusari-gama you don't swing the end that has a kama on it. So you either want something like something like spiked chain or meteor hammer, or you want a manriki-gusari with a hatchet in place of a kama - where you keep the hatchet end in hand while swinging the chain end. Maybe rules-wise it would be treated the same as having a handaxe in one hand and a whip in the other.
>>
>>49659313
hur dur realism.
>>
>>49655805
Old post, I know, but I cast Lightning Arrow on the McGuffin and throw it at the BBEG dragon, possibly screaming "SUNLIGHT SPEAR" as I do it.
>>
File: P5Protag.jpg (111KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
P5Protag.jpg
111KB, 640x360px
What class would be he? Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>49659326
Well, if you really want to throw the axe end and that doesn't seem dumb to you, then you can just say that the throwing property of the handaxe end remains in place
>>
>>49659485
nobody said anything about throwing it.
>>
>Idea for a Rogue archetype: Relic Hunter
>specialized for dungeoneering, gains persistent abilities based on items he finds (mostly for fluff reasons)
>gets abilities like Warlock invocations - some always on, some on a per-short-rest basis
>gets several abilities known but can only prepare a few per long rest
>possibly some other features boosting archaeology-related skills like History, and maybe abilities v. traps

Worth working on?
>>
File: Justice.jpg (250KB, 1143x642px) Image search: [Google]
Justice.jpg
250KB, 1143x642px
>>49659433

Jesus fuck I want to play this so bad.

Why February. Why so far.
>>
>>49659542
Going hard on the Indiana Jones "Action-Archeologist" is a must, acrobatics, traps, sleight of hand, arcana, the works.
>>
>>49659606
I was thinking of giving them expertise on all checks relating to traps, so the perception check to spot the pressure plate under the idol, the intelligence check to measure out an equal-weight bag of sand, and the sleight of hand check to switch them would all get it. Might be too powerful though.
>>
The gaining abilities from items sounds more like a warlock desu.
>>
>>49659680
If you want Indiana Jones, as in the professor, why not do a switcheroo and make his main stat Int, as there aren't many intelligence classes, and he can use Int to figure out how to disarm traps etc as opposed to dex. Think his way through as opposed to having nimble fingers. Which Jones does not ;)

Int with Cha secondary for the DC of his off abilities.
>>
>>49659680
I think so long as the expertise is solely for using it in a trap related fashion, so they get the extra modifier on the rolls you mentioned, but if they were, say, rolling perception to spot someone in a crowd, int to measure whether their horse drawn carriage can support x amount of weight, and sleight of hand to do a card trick, they wouldn't get the expertise on any of them.
>>
>>49659718
This too, the fact that Wizard is the only *real* int class bothers the shit out of me, an int based rogue archetype would be neat.
>>
>>49659542
Not sure about the mechanics you propose, but the general archetype should absolutely exist (although the thief archetype is a good approximation until it does).

>>49659606
Indy, Lara, etc. are all good sources of inspiration for abilities because it's guaranteed anyone picking the archetype would be thinking about them.
From Indy, we must have some sort of trap detection/escape, like you said in >>49659680. I don't think it would be overpowered because traps are not really that important of a hazard in most campaigns nowadays.
From Lara, you get weird climbing angles. Advantage on all climb checks is an absolute must.
Both should be able to roll a perception check to spot the most valuable item around or something.
>>
>>49659519
Well, I
>>49659134
did because I was interpreting the part about "spinning it" and presumable hitting people in that manner as throwing it. Because if you were spinning an axe on a chain it would stop when it hit somebody, and that's allowing for the situation where someone can reliably spin an axe so that the edge is going towards somebody, which of course I was because a PC is an extraordinary person doing extraordinary things. In this instance, writing it as a thrown weapon attack is consistent with what the book has for that identical effect. Fluff it however you want, say you spin it up to gain momentum before flinging it, whatever.

On the other hand, if you're imagining spinning the axe so that the edge grazes somebody hard enough to do damage but not be stopped, well... First of all, I find that ridiculous, but second of all and more importantly doing that would translate to making up to 8 or more attack rolls as part of one attack action, and that is not allowed. The only way to do that with a melee weapon is with a class feature, the hunter ranger flurry thing. A basic ass weapon giving you the equivalent of a class feature is not okay, unless you're level 8+ with some kind of legendary magic item.
>>
File: Mae.jpg (33KB, 246x430px) Image search: [Google]
Mae.jpg
33KB, 246x430px
Is homebrew race anon here?

Where's that Centaur I ordered!
>>
Do you guys do accents for your games/characters?

I feel like that's one of my places where I lack as a DM, because, as a player and DM, I love hearing accents, but suck at them. Any suggestions on how to get better at them? The various Youtube videos don't actually help that much, for me, at least.
>>
>>49659578
Just wait for P5 Crimson or something. There is a lot of foreshadowing that not everything is solve yet
>>
Stupid question, but how exactly do wizards actually learn spells? I've gone through the parts of the PhB that seemed relevant and the closest I saw was "They must see a magical item that produces the spell do so", that seems like... very little? Plus in the Arcane Traditions bit it mentions halving the time to copy spells into a spellbook, when does this happen? And why?
>>
>>49659718
>>49659741
I haven't been keeping up on UA stuff, but I believe Psionics are Int based. Last I saw they weren't developed past lvl 5 tho. I'm sure its better now.
>>
>>49659828
It is assumed that wizards study spells in they downtime.
>>
>>49659780
Kobold Press midgard heroes pdf has centaur rules. Dunno if you've seen them or just don't like em but some do exist.
>>
>>49659828
I've given my wizard player a spell from studying under a wizard more powerful than he was, through old books or scrolls, that sorta thing.
>>
>>49659797
I usually get started on a new accent by watching a youtuber that has a strong one for their nationality. Just find someone who's personality is tolerable and who plays interesting vidya and work towards imitating them, and then making their voice your own.

Also, if you can find a good accent book they are lifesavers, the two most useful things imo are when they have phrases written out phonetically, and when they refer to why the accent is the way it is. A lot of learning a foreign accent is learning why it's different.
>>
>>49659848
I actually talked about how I didn't like them when I requested some centaur rules.

They work alright with a rather considerable bit of tuning, honestly, I'd just like to see another take on them.
>>
>Bard 8 in new table
>Party at 6~9 has been screwing aroud for two hours
>I've been pretty quiet
>We find a necromancer walking down the street with six skelletons
>They immediately crush one of them with their pet flesh golem and scare the crap out of the necro lady
>I decide to try and talk this encounter out
>This flusters the DM whom it becomes clear laid her out just so we'd have a quick fight before we live
>I commit and press on
>EK goes nuts
>"FIREBOOOOLT"
>Counterspell
>"Wait, what?"
>Bard goes "so you were saying you live around here"
>Warlock goes HUNGER OF HADAAR
>We haven't rolled initiatives yet, so Counterspell
>Party goes "hey, but what, shut waaah"
>It's like it's the first time they've seen a full caster in their lives
>Plus they kept me out of my entrance spot in the game for over an hour so now I'm gonna keep them waiting
>DM "I-I-I just live here! You wanna fight, I'll fight you, what do you want!"
>"Nah gurl, I'm not about all that, let's just talk. Just what gives, why do you live here, what's with all the monsters?"
>EK goes "COUNTERSPELL THIS MOTHERFUCKEEER" and charges
>"Hold Person"
>"Just, look, there's a whole bunch of undead around this place, I'm a necromancer, I live here, just leave me alone or put'em up!"
>"Hey, what if we move you somewhere nicer"
>Party is flipping out at the bard giving them a harder battle than their usual encounters
>BLACK TENTACLSE
>"Counterspell"
>HOW MANY SLOTS HAVE YOU GOT?
>"That's all my level 3's..."
>"ELDRITCH BLAST"
>"Level 4 counterspell..."
>Necromancer is so intimidated she just begs to be allowed to leave, giving up on all ideas of confrontation
>Party is confused as all fuck. EK tries to rally the team to kill that bitch because of their contract, but they're all just preplexed
>EK tries to break Hold Person. Rolls 19
>Cutting Words
>Everything is a mix of irate beffudlement, and cackling laughter
>DM has to step in at this point and remind them at length that this isn't actually their mark anyway
>>
>>49659542

That's already a Warlock archetype, Pact of the Star Chain

But if you want it to be a Rogue, then it's literally a Thief Archetype
>>
>>49659828
From scrolls, from spellbooks, etc. Basically finding a spell written down. What's intended is, wizards gain slots and the ability to learn new spells as they level up, but they need to find the spells in the world to gain use of them. Presumably this aspect of it falls by the wayside in favor of just letting wizards gain their spells. Kind of like components, or carry weight, some people like focusing on it, some people don't.

The time and cost of copying a spell reflect how spells in spellbooks aren't just "say the magic word and thing happens", it's more like you're reading somebody's notes they took from a chapter in a textbook and you're trying to understand their note taking methods, figuring out the information they omitted because they already knew it, trying to decipher handwriting, etc etc... Halving that time reflects how you already have a basic understanding of that kind of spell.

So... rogue steals the spellbook of a high level caster, the wizard is good for the campaign. One of my players made up some bullshit about being in a secret wizard school that updates his guidebook with spells as he levels up... whatever. Scrolls come from rolling on the random loot table. A visit to the library or mage's guild. I read something about PCs swapping spells, didn't go into detail but I imaging if different classes have the same spells on their list, one could spend the time to copy the spell down from the other. Stuff like that.
>>
>>49659930
What book is that pact in?
>>
What kind of binders/ supplies do you use for tabletop?

I don't know if I should use plastic sheets to write on or just go in pencil.
>>
>>49659797
Find a movie character you like and do a copy of their accent.
>>
>>49659983

Unearthed Arcana: The Faithful

He's a warlock that gets all them tomb raiding spells like Featherfall, Identify, and such on
>>
>>49659919
You can't cutting words a saving throw.
>>
>>49659887
Any links to the books in question, kind anon? I actually learn by reading better by far than I do any other way.
>>
>>49660009

Seeker Expanded Spells
Spell Level Spells
1st feather fall, jump
2nd levitate, locate object
3rd clairvoyance, sending
4th arcane eye, locate creature
5th legend lore, passwall
>>
>>49660010

It varies from table to table. RAW implies not, but there are some foundational documentation that refer to saves as a type of check
>>
>>49660012
I don't know where to find a PDF, as I used my old drama teacher's copy, but this one is rather technical and has a wide(ish) variety of accent with a greater focus on American and British ones.
https://www.amazon.com/Accents-Manual-Actors-Revised-Expanded/dp/087910967X
>>
>>49659797
The simplest way is to go the Dragon Age route and designate a real-world accent to each possible character origin, more or less corresponding to real-world geographical relationships (so if you're speaking with an English accent, a French-accent dude would come from closer than a Chinese-accent dude).
Getting better at accents is mostly just listening to them a lot, but there are lots of youtube guides for various accents.

>>49659833
Psionics were brought to level 10 several months ago. :)

>>49660048
Saves are explicitly NOT a type of check. There are ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, and they are all-encompassing and mutually exclusive.
>>
>>49659919
I hope she either turns out very kind and bakes you cookies, or turns out really evil and back stabs all of you at a later period of time.
>>
Recommend me a good beginner scenario that's easy to GM and play for newbies that isn't Mines of Phandelver (we already tried that one). It could be just a standard dungeon crawl to learn the rules.
>>
>>49660078
>they are all-encompassing and mutually exclusive.

re-checking and it seems like you were right. Guess I've been overplaying the bard for a few weeks now
>>
Who's the better caster in a party with 5 martials, a Bard or a Wizard?
>>
>>49659907
Not that special anon, but it shouldn't be too hard. How about something like:

Centaur
* +1 str, +2 con. Should be big and healthy, but no reason their arms would be a lot beefier than a human's.
* Alignment: depends on setting
* Size: large
* Speed: 40 (same as draft horse)
* Darkvision
* Fey ancestry
* Hooves: you are proficient with your hooves and can use them to make a melee weapon attack. They deal 1d4 damage and use strength for attack and damage rolls. When taking the attack action, you may make a hoof attack as a bonus action. (Essentially you always have a dagger to dual-wield with, but you get a bit more damage. No more broken than polearm master, and helps round out the race.)
* Proficiency in perception, bows, spears.
* You may use a lance as though mounted.
>>
>>49660168
Large PCs seem to be no bueno, and a speed of 40 is pretty crazy unless you add some limitations like
>Can't Climb without assistance
and even then, imagine being a centaur rogue, you could kite forever.
>>
>>49660140
Bard is better generally, unless you have some specific fluff that you want your character to use.

If your dm is permissive, illusionist wizard is the strongest class in the game.
>>
>>49660185
> Large PCs seem to be no Bueno
I agree. But if you want to play a centaur you're going to be large. There's no debate here, it's in the MM. If you don't want to be large, play something else.
> Can't climb without assistance
Is that a large size thing, or are you suggesting it for centaurs? Either way, it makes sense. Just picture that shit.
> Kite forever
Kiting forever is a meme that requires an infinite, featureless battlefield.

>>49660140
Without martials: bard
With martials: bard even more

>>49660095
>Not waifuing the necromancer
It's like you're not even autistic. Get off my 4chan.
>>
>>49660108
death house
>>
>>49660237
>Is that a large size thing, or are you suggesting it for centaurs? Either way, it makes sense. Just picture that shit.
The latter.
>>
>>49660168
>>49660185
Large size player races seems like such an obvious solution to many obvious potential races- half-giants, centaurs, Goliaths if they weren't half-assed large size, etc. Even if for no other reason than they would clearly take up more space than a human-sized race, but wouldn't necessarily gain any of the other benefits of being large size (centaur is perfect example of this)

Problem with large sized player races is that being large sized has a lot of built-in stuff, things like double damage dice on weapons, carry weight, all that. There needs to be a rule exception when the race is inherently large-size. Thing is, that's not gonna come about officially because there's no official large-size races. Maybe that will change with volo's guide.
>>
>>49660237
The Midgard Heroes centaur gets around the primary problem of Large PCs by saying that your humanoid torso is medium and you can only use normal sized weapons.

Unfortunately it didn't fix the second biggest problem with large PCs in that a centaur with a Lance would threaten a comically huge area.
>>
>>49660274
Actually, for centaurs, you can easily include
* You use weapons as though you were medium
because their torso and arms are the same size as a human's. Carrying capacity, though, should rightfully be very high.
>>
>>49660287
If your torso and weapons are medium, you shouldn't have a larger reach. Unless you mean by virtue of being a 2x2 creature, in which case you're right and there's no fix. But in many situations being large is such a hindrance that I don't think this is a problem. Let the man hold chokepoints, because he can barely fit through some of them anyway.
>>
>>49658836
Its a shame Fifth Edition Foes looks so terrible because the content is aces. Even a mediocre kickstarter or indiegogo campaign could have raised enough to pay fiverr artists from singapore to do a better job than the sketch book doodles that are in there now.
>>
>>49660292
Right, those rulings would both be perfect for centaurs. I'm brainstorming on what the general rules for large player races would be, I guess.

Reach and damage are always as if you're medium sized? Carry weight? Well, there's at least a few options already that increase carry weight. I don't think many people pay much attention to that anyway. Consumes double rations? Equipment costs twice as much? That's not gonna be much of a hindrance. Having to squeeze through most areas, that could suck.
>>
>>49659919
>"Counterspell"
>HOW MANY SLOTS HAVE YOU GOT?
>"That's all my level 3's..."
>"ELDRITCH BLAST"
>"Level 4 counterspell..."

My sides are in orbit
>>
>>49660358
Well, it's supposed to look like an AD&D manual, makes sense for it to look shitty.
>>
>>49659919
necromancers a qt
>>
>>49660393
>looks like shit
>can't afford to fix it
>"uh yeah that's what we were going for all along"
c'mon now
>>
>>49660472
except its obviously imitating a very specific aesthetic
>>
>>49660379
>Reach and damage
Not always, but it largely depends on the attack. Large monsters have no reach with bites, for example, but do have reach with claws. A warhorse doesn't get reach with hooves, so neither does the centaur. Weapons would have reach for a creature with longer arms/bigger weapons. Same for damage.
>Carry weight
Large creatures have double the carrying capacity of medium creatures, as per page 176.
>Double rations
Quadruple, even. But since nobody pays attention to those rules either, it really doesn't matter much. Maybe give the centaur the ability to gather double food when foraging.
>Equipment
Weapons shouldn't cost more. Barding (horse armor) by default costs x4 and weighs double. Centaur armor is basically armor + barding, so make it cost x5 and weigh x2.5. Obviously leg armor is ignored here, but whatever, just say centaurs need more freedom of movement in their armor than a horse and shouldn't be complaining.
>Squeeze
That's actually the main problem for an adventurer, and the primary drawback that makes large creatures unsuitable for player characters. But if you're willing to play large, you've already accepted that, or your DM "promised' this "won't be an issue."

>>49660451
Shame they're all necrophiliacs. :/
>>
>>49660503
Doesn't dissuade from my original point, that it looks like ass which sucks because the content is great.

They did an awesome KS for Bard's Gate. If they did the same for a nice professionally illustrated edition of FEF with some actual graphic design, their product would reach more people and the company (and excellent people who work there) would not only get $ but the satisfaction of knowing their designs/redesigns are being enjoyed by a broad audience.

Bard's Gate is an adventure book for $100! They can keep the OSR illustrated FEF book for $35 sure, but aim for a $100 beautiful edition and people will eat it up.
>>
What do you guys think the Church of Bahamut would give for the live capture of Isuxaxa, the Wearer in Purple of the Dragon Cult, along with her dragon mask?
>>
>>49660451

they get my rigor mortis, if you know what I mean
>>
>>49660605
It should really be "get my mortis rigor," on account of "rigor" meaning "stiff" in this expression. Step up your innuendo game, son.
>>
>>49660649
fuck u
>>
>>49659433
>>49659578
Actually... Way of the Shadow Monk would fit them
>>
>>49660704
no fuck u
>>
>>49660704

just so you know, it's not the same guy

I actually do apreciate a good necrophiliac critique . It gets me in the funny bone
>>
File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (283KB, 1000x969px) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
283KB, 1000x969px
>>49660710
Shadow Monk in 5e makes me happy. I only played one, part of an all-gnome stealth party, but its an archetype I want to explore again.

>inb4 paizo art
>inb4 tits or gtfo
>>
>>49660584

I'm actually seriously interested in this.

I got her captured, incapacitated and thrown in a hole, and my party has totally moved on from her

What do you think I can get for Ixusaxa Terrorsong?
>>
>>49660704
>>49660732
i'm lonely for necromancer zombie love

why do they have to be generic evil in all the games i play.
>>
>>49660786
Playing a sociopath necromancer would be fun. Maybe a wizard who lost his family has a nervous breakdown and resurrects them through necromancy and now they just walk around his house as zombies and he's completely oblivious to it.

Shit I gotta add that to my npc idea notebook.
>>
>>49660833
A few quircky npc necromancers would be fun.

I just want to stuff dead bodies in the bag of holding that died under mysterious circumstances and bring them to my disturbed buddy who can have a talk with them to help me figure out what happened.
>>
>>49660781

I don't know, if you're going to extort the godbotherers, might as well just make a deal with her.
>>
>>49660861

I play a Bard that goes around collecting ghosts in his box and pulls the ocasional one out for their expertise, Legion style
>>
Speaking of bards, is there are any other cool magical instrument or items for bards, other than Instruments of the Bards, or them rat pipes?
>>
File: 1456420497272.gif (392KB, 268x300px) Image search: [Google]
1456420497272.gif
392KB, 268x300px
What's the general consensus on the new ranger? was thinking of making a beast conclave ranger.
>>
>>49660833
>sociopath necromancer
Why sociopath? Just because other people don't approve doesn't mean you're literally devoid of empathy. Being completely crazy and zombifying your relatives doesn't sound like a fun character to play.
It's all about the charismatic, fun necromancers who just use undead as a tool to accomplish their heroic goals.
BRB, making yet another new character in NWN2.

>>49660923
Copying the shit out of that. You can't stop me. (Also, isn't that basically the 4e deva?)
>>
The Volo's Guide to Monsters product page was updated today. http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/volos-guide-to-monsters

It now has a PDF of the preface and info on the book layout. Chapter 1 is monster lore, chapter 2 is character races, and chapter 3 has over 100 monster stat blocks.
>>
>>49660948
A ranger in my group just reworked his lvl 9 character in to the new beast conclave template and, while we've only played once since doing so, I have to admit it sure felt like his pet jaguar actually did something for once.

I know its not much of a reply but he did seem excited about it.
>>
>>49660972
>Copying the shit out of that.

Well, I had to basically steal that ritual off from an evil Bard villain we fought, so I don't know how you mean to pull it off but, sure, go ahead

It's just the Warlock Approach to Skill Monkey
>>
>>49660948
It's pretty good, definitely better than the PHB version.
>>
>>49661005
THANK YOU FRIEND
>>
>>49660972
I think that was bad phrasing on my part. That was two ideas, not saying the second one was a sociopath. FWIW jovial necromancers can be fun. I don't like Chris Hardwick but his necromancer in Critical Role was pretty hilarious.
>>
>>49660948

Primeval awareness is slightly overpowered at low levels
>>
>>49661005
That flail snail tho.

I kinda dislike the alternate brick&mortar shop edition of Volo's. I feel like it will clash with the rest of my collection :\
>>
>>49660948
The only real consensus is that "conclave" is a stupid word for the archetypes.

>>49661087
I don't care how many times I'm contradicted, that's a snail with 4 nipples.
>>
File: pss.jpg (40KB, 473x351px) Image search: [Google]
pss.jpg
40KB, 473x351px
>>49661109
>>49661109
... holy shit
>>
>>49661109
I like conclave.
>>
>>49660776
Well of course we want nudes of monk girls, what kind of plebians do you think we are?
>>
>>49660358
Yeah, the B&W art is intentional. They're starting to pull away from that, though, since we, as their consuming public, like actual art.
>>
>>49661005
nearly=!over
>>
>>49660358
>Aces
I'm curious, what do you like about the content?
>>
>>49660140

Depends on what you wanna do. Wizard end fghts with good spell selection and bypasses a lot of dangerous situations in a similar manner. His School rounds out your abilities and you generally try to work around that with a Diviner working very differently from an Abjurer or Necromancer

Bard is more party friendly with its abilities and its the jack doing all trades 90-110% as well as any other classes. I think its easier to run a Lore Bard than a Valor Bard since the later needs to dedicate himself to some direct combat related feats/spells
>>
>>49660948

Its a massive improvement but still manages to give the Ragner unique abilities.. DESU the Ranger has usually been a shitty version of a Fighter in this game that only existed because of some shit with Aragorn and this is the first time I it felt like a class that really stood on its own
>>
File: Vegepygmy.jpg (19KB, 243x400px) Image search: [Google]
Vegepygmy.jpg
19KB, 243x400px
>>49661257
I'm not op but for me, what I enjoy about fifth edition foes is the fact that 95% of the monsters are cr10 or less, and in fact it looks like (from the CR index in the pdf I'm looking at it now) about half of all entries are CR2 or less. This is great for me as I run a lot of small low level encounters at my flgs and all these weak monsters tend to have some kind of interesting ability hook to mix it up. Also just the effort to port all these old critters to 5e a huge selection of them credited to original designs (artistically and ability wise) to GG in the 80s.
As for the above, I kinda dig the old art. I hated it at first now I dig it. But I would buy a hard copy if it was full color.
Also vegepygmy back with a vengeance.
>>
>>49661379
The 3.5 rework was kinda like that, but in general I think you're right. The ranger doesn't often get to have an interesting and unique identity. Besides, the 3.5 ranger still wasn't good. This might be the first ranger ever actually worth playing.
>>
>>49655489
>>49655436

So my take on your post is that no matter what they do, they must always roll combat initiative? So going back to my post >>49654561 if Dex-Based Fighter and Wizard saw the three Orcs on Wyvern Tor, instead of describing the results in an out-of-combat way, I say everyone rolls for Initiative THEN describe their Ready attacks if need be?

Of course this is before asking them to roll for Stealth checks if they wanted to take a jump on them or is that not needed?

>>49654561

Thanks I'll keep note of that.
>>
>>49659919
>Level 4 counterspell
>On a cantrip
Balls of Steel.
>>
My DM is too damn anal on Somatic component. I mean, I'm fine with following the fact I need to speak it so stuff like Silence or tying cloth around my mouth to stop me from speaking is fine but my DM takes this further by adding a layer of "detection" towards it.

Like, when we're in a crowd, I want to Detect Magic to find this crystal ball which was pilfered from a friend NPC and we were tasked to get it back. The DM then went "If you use Detect Magic, you'll be saying it out loud, the perpetrator might hear you and run away!" and I then go "I whisper Detect Magic" but DM then goes "No, that won't do, it has to be recited in an audible volume."

I mean, I do love that shit. It adds a layer of decision making for me as a spellcaster but I dunno, I feel the DM is adjudicating it too much. Am I in the wrong here? I'm planning to talk to him over it.
>>
>>49661845
You could go in an alley and recite the spell, or wait until the crowd starts yelling and invoke it under them.

Though your GM might just be wimpy and doesn't want their precious plot derailed.
>>
>>49661845
>in a crowd
>being able to pick out one fucker saying a few words, less than 6 seconds worth, and being able to tell exactly who he is, and where he is currently standing
>the perp might hear you and run away
>thus you can just fake casting the spell, and the idiot who bolts is the thief
>>
>>49659919
Man, that Necromancer sure has a lot of reactions to take.
>>
>>49661864

He's actually That GM. But I give him some slack cause he's new to it but over the course of the month preparing for this campaign, he kept going like "Oh wow, I never knew how much I can do with this! I might not play ever again!" cause he played TTRPGs for more than 5 years but never DM'd thinking it was a draining job. I'm all for people getting to DM but this guy might be a problem until we talk him down which we will later today. He's one of our best mates so we don't want that shit on the table.

Hope it goes well, I've read some horror stories about tables breaking friendships on /tg/. I hope I'm not in that unlucky few.

>>49661871

That's what our Bard suggested. Though it didn't do much cause after I faked casted Detect Magic, DM told me to roll a d100 dice and I got a 25%, he did this laugh behind the screen and said "Oh, nothing. By the way, nothing happens."

The session ended on a rather low-key way but it really left a sour mood on everyone cause we felt like we were chasing our own tails than feeling our agency in finding this thief.
>>
>>49661917
>reading comprehension level 0
The bard was the one casting counterspell.
And this was done outside of combat turn structure.
>>
>>49652829
I bought the players handbook but I'm not planning on buying any other stuff anytime soon. I just thought that I should at least buy this much since I'm playing at a store.
>>
My Rogue wants to tie a string to his dagger and use it to attack like thrown but allows him to pull the dagger back. At the time at the table, I was rather unsure how to deal with this cause I wanted the game going so I just ruled that he could do it but he needed an Action to pull the dagger back to him. That and told him there will be setbacks like the Orc grabbing the string and pulling the Rogue towards him.

I'm not really a rules-lawyer and this guy playing the Rogue is so into DnD and he's new to it and I'm really excited how he is getting into the lore so much he is thinking of this flavor for his rogue. That said, I don't want him to game the rules this way like making a thrown dagger that allows him to easily get it back. He even said he wants to use a "controlled" swing with the string on the dagger, so the dagger can hit the Orc 10 feet from him. I am planning to rule that as thrown rules with the fluff of doing that.

Thoughts?
>>
>>49662102
I think you're on the right track with it being an action to recover it - tying a string to it will mean he won't lose his dagger, unless the string is damaged. But it won't let him have 'infinite' daggers 'for free'. If he could use the string to bring it back and then attack in the same turn, he'd be cheesing it a bit, I think.
Swinging the rope to attack with a dagger would be pretty rubbish in real life, but so are many fun techniques, so if that's what's "happening" when he throws it ten feet away, it's no trouble in my eyes.
>>
>>49662180
Don't rogues usually end up just buying a shitton of daggers since they're dirt cheap and there's not a whole lot to spend gold on at a certain point?
>>
>>49662180
>>49662102
If he's insistent on it being fine to attack at ten feet with every turn though, I'd point to the whip and show that that's basically what he's doing, and so I wouldn't give proficiency unless he's got whip proficiency from somewhere.
>>
>>49662102
I'd say it's kind of bull. Go find a one-pound weight, tie a 10 foot string to it, and toss it out and pull it back to you. 99/100 times you won't be able to catch it and will have to reach down and pick it up. Hell, a lot of the time you will pull it back too far or not far enough causing you to have to move to get it, or yank on the string again risking pulling it back too hard and having it go behind you. Then do that again keeping in mind that you can only really catch one half of the object since the blade will be stupid sharp and coming at you at a similar speed as when it was thrown initially.

At best it can make it so he doesnt have to run over and pick up the dagger, and at worse hes gonna fumble around with a weight on a stupid long string wasting rounds in combat until he eventually stabbs himself.
>>
>>49662217
Sean, is that you?
>>
>>49662269
fuck off John
>>
>>49662102
This is like third post about "someone in my party wants to tie his weapon on rope and do shit" in this thread. Wut.
>>
>>49662299

Did a popular D&D Youtuber put out a video about him or a party member doing that shit? Cause I was watching a table play in the FLGS near me and the Bard was doing the same thing. I'm DMing a table tonight and I'm honestly gonna expect someone gonna ask me if they can.
>>
>>49662329
Doesn't one of the guys on critical roll have something attached to a chain?
>>
>>49662102
I would make pulling the string count as object interaction for that turn.
>>
>>49662102
Halve the range (10/30 instead of 20/60) and make pulling it back an object interaction.
>>
On their own, your rogue has a dagger, and rope. But combined, they form an improvised weapon.
>>
>>49650910
Arcane trickster chooses 3 cantrips. Considering all the ways it can use mage hand, it is basically a class feature, not a cantrip.

>>49650934
They may have gotten rid of BAB, but monsters still kind of have proficiency bonuses. Also, see DMG.

>>49651035
Stomach acid.
>>
>>49651394
Warlock, since it's balanced around invocation taxes instead of feat taxes.

>>49651372
It's like you don't even play NetHack.
We'll see what tune you sing when your coaligned altar is guarded by Pestilence.
>>
>>49662364
Yea, and they did talk about exactly what it was supposed to be recently, but they have a magical chain that the barbarian has and can attach to weapons so he can pull them back.
>>
>>49658573
>definitely not classic D&D
They literally were in OD&D m8, witches too.
>>
>>49663361
so what? Could i go fro it?
>>
>>49661923
>That's what our Bard suggested.

>The Bard

Have him cast it. It's music for him, no one pays any mind to a doofus singing in the middle of the crowd. He's heard, but not ... suspected
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.