[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should a wizard gain XP if they decide to spend some serious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: 78968.jpg (75KB, 434x432px) Image search: [Google]
78968.jpg
75KB, 434x432px
Should a wizard gain XP if they decide to spend some serious time studying in a library of magic?
>>
>>49650618
Depends on the game.

In 5e, I made the houserule that you can spend gold for XP. So if the wizard spent his share of gold on that, sure.
>>
>>49650618
>using a system with xp
>>
>>49650618
I would say nah but I generally don't do general rewards. If he's studying at a library of magic, why not a magic-related reward like a magical feat related to their studies or something small like being able to eschew a certain component from all their material costs or learning how to substitute it for a different component or cheaper one if your campaign does that. Or a greater proficiency with a certain spell or school of spells or whatever, like being able to cast all illusion spells at 1 CL higher or something. Or maybe another spellslot that's 1 or 2 levels below their current highest level spell, so like an extra level 1 spellslot or 2 even though they're level 7 or whatever. Or the obvious: that they can learn a spell, or even create their own ooc and use this as a means of learning it, partially or wholly--or even learning how to create their own spells even if of a certain school or type or whatever.

But just giving XP is lame. Be creative nyugga, break the rules but in a way that promotes them to be more invested.
>>
>>49650618
No, but it's an excellent explanation for how they've managed to learn all the shit people would otherwise spontaneously learn when leveling up.
>>
>>49650618
No. XP is rewarded for overcoming a challenge. Studying in a library isn't a challenge.
>>
>>49650618

>Context:Basic/Expert D&D GM

Studying serves one of two purposes: General Research and Spell Research. General Research rewards cash investment for a capped XP gain and a roll on a 2d10 table to see what happens. Spell Research requires XP be spent to learn spell.
>>
>>49650727
What if they managed to answer a difficult question that they have struggled with for a while?
>>
>>49650618
If it's not D&D or similar fantasy heartbreaker garbage, maybe. I personally don't really see the generic suggestion here as a particularly meaningful exercise, so I would be averse to rewarding it with XP. But there might be occasions where it's acceptable, with more explanation.

If it is, the answer is to stop playing at once.
>>
>>49650618
Yes, but not if done as a downtime activity. Downtime activities are how characters practice what they've learned in adventuring. If they want to dedicate themselves to studying for an adventure, though, then it's reasonable to give them some XP. Not as much as they would have gotten adventuring, mind.
>>
No. EXP is for overcoming challenges. Studying in a library is not a challenge hence no EXP shall be rewarded until you kill the librarian and steal every book in the library.
>>
Yes, but it will cost gold. Why does studying at a library cost gold? Because fuck you. That's why.
>>
>>49650618
Depends on how magic the library is.
If the books occasionally come to life and try to kill you, then certainly.
>>
Is the system built with that in mind? Generally I'd give the wizard bonuses to lore/knowledge skills instead, or perhaps allow for chance to learn new spells instead of giving straight-up XP.
>>
>>49650618
>>49651565
The system itself only says that it's fine to give EXP when a player roleplays well or does something creative with their character. As a mage, studying at a library is what any character does whenever they can, not being either good roleplay or creative.

Now, if you give out EXP for doing common stuff, you're bound to give the fighter EXP for training with a dummy, to the cleric for praying, and to the bard for singing. That's plain dumb.
>>
Can the fighter gain exp for training in his courtyard?
>>
>>49650677
>Using a system
>>
>>49650618
*spend XP
>>
>>49651928
True, true.
>>
>>49651928
>verbs
>>
Only if the fighter can get exp for nonlethal sparring.
I'd allow a very light/slow XP gain for downtime if it is clearly downtime intended to make the characters stronger.
You might gain a level if you spend a full year studying or lifting weights.
>>
>>49651928
>playing the game

you shits disgust me
>>
>>49651993
>halberd
>>
>>49652178
>green
>>
File: 1440524210142.jpg (164KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1440524210142.jpg
164KB, 600x800px
>>49650618

They should have to have small combat encounters with the concepts of the magical research they're dealing with, and be unable to use magic during those encounters.
>>
>>49651447
>Studying in a library is not a challenge

It's actually a pretty difficult task, and can easily be expanded to a series of skill challenges.

Something like measuring progress by successful arcana checks, with supplementary history checks and even investigation checks to bolster your progress. With good narrative skills and a pressing goal with a time limit, while offering the player more difficult DCs to attempt for quicker progress as well as asking them to make logical decisions (when trying to figure out how to counter the curse upon the city, is it more important to prioritize the research of the magic of the local area or the magic of the villain's country?), it could actually be an important and exciting scene rather than a moment of downtime.
>>
>>49650618
>eyes over hair
A terrible disease
>>
>>49650618
Why yes, assuming the library in question has summas they can benefit from or tracticae they haven't read.
>>
>>49652865
The plural is actually tractatūs.

t. Latinfag

Nice taste though.
>>
Treat it as any other training a service you could pay money for in the system. If they made special connections to get in for free, it's STILL worth X value based on the time they spent, just like if the rogue uses his skills in town he can obtain free wealth for HIS invested time.
>>
>>49652927
>Treat it as any other training a service you could pay money for in the system.
So the same as when we drop the healer off at the local brother for downtime so that she can learn how to please the party on those long lonely nights adventuring?
>>
>>49650618

Depends on what your group wants.

GENERALLY I think you should distinguish XP, giving them for whatever reasons in the actual game (shit you do roleplay) and the "justifications" like "my wizard needs to know his new spell so he goes to the local library".
>>
>>49650618
No, but they should be able to lower casting cost, speed, cool down and be able to cast higher spells
>>
>>49650618
What the fuck is XP?
Some sort of retarded emoticon?
>>
>>49652921
Ah! Thank you for the correction. My latin is, frankly, horrendous.
>>
>>49650618
GURPS has a system for gaining character points through study, in fact you can play GURPS where all ability/skill/attribute progression is done through training and story progression instead of just handing out cp for players to spend on whatever.
>>
>>49653408
It's the face your mother makes while I fuck her.
>>
File: 1466542536083.jpg (38KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
1466542536083.jpg
38KB, 736x552px
>>49650618
This exact thing happens in Mage: the Awakening.
>>
>>49652198
>text
>>
>>49650618
>Should a wizard gain XP if they decide to spend some serious time studying in a library of magic?
Depends on how much time, with each new level requiring an increased amount of time.
Meaning at lvl 1 you would need only about 2 weeks or so to get to level 2, while getting to lvl 20 from 19 would require an 8 year research project and thesis formation
>>
>>49655824
>The boar and the pilgrim
>Not The boar and pilgrim
>>
>>49655844
>Letters
>>
>>49658334
>Communication
Breakdown
>>
>>49650618
Are you playing Ars Magica? Then yes.

Are you playing D&D? Then no.
>>
>>49650618
No.

Educational skills are only honed when setting people on fire.
>>
>>49651668
I'd say that all those examples should grant XP, just up to a fairly low ceiling per-level. After all, a mage who never studies, cleric who never prays, fighter who never goes through his forms, and bard who never exercises his voice sounds like a party who don't care about maintaining their skills.

You should never be able to level up from basic training alone (except maybe at level 1), but as an little boost alone the way there's no harm in it. Fluff it as the character taking the time to go over what they've learned in combat more thoroughly.
>>
>>49652178
Alright, this is how it be.

You're up against a motherfucker sword 'n boarding like it's knightly, he's pretenden he tight.
FUCKING WRONG.
Hook that dumbass shield and put him off balance, its time to slice a bitch. Oh wait his shield wasn't properly strapped onto his arm and he was just holding it with his hand? Enjoy your broken wrist and lack of shield motherfucker.

You want a weapon for mounted combat? This is what you need. A lance? The fuck is that good for? A hook halberd with bud fulcrum won't get stuck in an enemy and can slice to boot.

BUT NO there's this other shitheel with a horse and you've lost your mount, now he's charging you, but your righteous-ass Halberd has a spear tip because that's how it do. Brace it into the ground and if he's stupid enough to continue it's shishkebob knight night. But, huh, it's a smart ass that wants to swerve at the last second.

FUCKING BITCH YOUR HALBERD HAS AN AXE.
It doesn't matter if he tries to take you from the side because you've already got him fucked. Aim for him? Don't need to, aim for the mount, it's just as good. He puts a shield up? Either hook-grapple him until he eats shit or hit his shield.

Wait, did you read the right? Just hit his shield?
MOTHERFUCKER YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.
IT'S A BITCHING-ASS HALBERD.
You don't need a clean hit to set a bitch off kilter.

But, oh no, you're in a cave. A small alley. A tight crevice. A sheer cliff.
You're at a disadvantage, right?
FUCKING WRONG.
Thrust your spear-axe tool up-to-down and down-to-up right in the faces of any dumbass that thinks a polearm has a disadvantage is tight quarters. This is the shit that city guards dream about while banging their ugly as sin fishwives.

Flying enemy? Same shit different day.
Armored enemy? Same shit different day.
Dexterous acrobatic ninja? Same shit different day.
Caster behind 1000 skeletons? Same shit, different day.

Are you a bitch?
If not; then Halberd.
>>
>>49653719
You shouldn't be handing out cp anyway, you fucking freak.
>>
>>49650677
>Not using a system that only rewards you for murdering things

You disgust me
>>
>>49650618
Probably, but since we average one in-game day per session, that player will be banned from the table for several real-time months while the character is reading. U mad?
>>
>>49650618
Some games have things to represent time not spent adventuring, in an otherwise adventure-focused system. Gain so much xp over the course of a year, etc.
If the studying is a plot device and they play along in a significant/entertaining way, then perhaps there as well. In general, it wouldn't be because they studied in a library, but why that situation was exceptional.
If the wizard is just asking if he can spend an hour or three in the local library, then probably not. Especially if they're using that as part of some other activity (though that other activity potentially could).
All the above said, if it's treated in a similar way across the board, then players will likely adjust as expected. Some balance of risk vs reward is probably expected (though the reward may be in things other than XP).
>>
>>49650689
While being more creative than just giving xp is good, the things you suggested are all some pretty big bonuses and a PC is probably going to have fairly regular access to libraries for studying. I'd say if you want to go with that stuff, make the bonuses temporary, or limit them to 1 at a time, or something like that.

>>49650618
If the Fighter can also get some by practicing weapon stuff, I'd be fine with that.
>>
>>49650727
Technically speaking, xp is just a way of measuring when people should level up. It's usually awarded for overcoming challenges, but not necessarily.

After all, it's experience points and it represents experience, which you can get from more places than just overcoming challenges.
>>
As a way of hand-wave time skip progression, a magical library works for every class.
>>
>>49650727
>Studying in a library isn't a challenge.

I guess you dropped your studies after middle school.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.