[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Delta Green Systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (28KB, 150x197px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 150x197px
What's the best system to run Delta Green /tg? 5th Ed CoC? The new DG system coming out right now? Or should I just go with GUMSHOE Esoterrorists?
>>
>>49641465
>GURPS
I am not kidding.
>>
>>49641465
New Delta Green or old Delta Green.
>>
>>49641465
Why don't you just use the rules for Delta Green.
>>
>>49641465
New Delta Green
>>
The Delta Green RPG (NuDG) rules are excellent and you should use them.
>>
>>49641465
Just ran night floors in new delta green
>>
>>49645969
Did you know Night Floors has a sequel? It's called "A Volume of Secret Faces".
>>
>>49645969
They are going to release Night Floors, and A Volume of Secret Faces as chapters in a campaign book based on the King in Yellow mythos called Impossible Landscapes.
>>
File: NdWF2pOB.png (84KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
NdWF2pOB.png
84KB, 240x240px
>>49645807
I heard that the New DG system only has a player handbook? Do I need to wait for them to release the full gm book or is it playable with just the player handbook?
>>
>>49646598
Playable with jsut the player handbook. The GM handbook will probably flesh out the setting, give additional rules and maybe give a few scenarios and monster stats. The core rules are already on the player handbook.
>>
>>49646648
Thank you so much, I was worried I'd have to fumble around with transposing the setting over to a new system. I can't wait to DM the new DG.
>>
>>49646903
I've already started running some of the old books for my players and I'm loving the new rules. The last one I ran out of Eyes Only ended up with a player charging a Dark Young swinging a brain in a case at it. He thought it was something you had to hit it with.
>>
File: delta-green-logo-640-px.jpg (32KB, 640x765px) Image search: [Google]
delta-green-logo-640-px.jpg
32KB, 640x765px
>>49641465
CoC 5 is inferior to 7 in a lot of ways.

Gumshoe shouldn't be mentioned, its central mechanic is solving a problem that doesn't exist by breaking the game.

DG is great.

>>49643929
You are memeing, which is below kidding.

>>49646598
The mechanics are all there, the lore is player facing. So unless you are familiar with the old DG, you may have trouble recreating the flavor. Just make sure it doesn't become the assault rifle monsterhunt without regrets. It's a game about regrets, the monsterhunt is just there for flavor.
>>
Is the PDF of the new Delta Green available for download somewhere?
>>
>>49649401
Check in the pdf archive thread, all the new DG manuals currently out are over there.
>>
>>49641465

GURPS, with Monster Hunters, High-Tech, and Horror.

Perhaps some material from The Madness Dossier, Cthulhupunk, Black Ops and Mysteries.
>>
>>49650444
Can't find it, is there a link?
>>
>>49651859
Here's all the manuals:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta%20Green%20Need%20to%20Know.pdf?dl=1
www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
>>
Havent kept up much, anyone know when the full corebook (DM shit included, version) is due to show up?
>>
>>49652435
Supposedly before the end of the year.
>>
>>49646029
>>49646089
Where's volume of secret faces?
>>
File: tease.png (181KB, 602x555px) Image search: [Google]
tease.png
181KB, 602x555px
DG General now that OP's questions have been answered?

Here's a teaser for a scenario I'm working on based on some discussion from a previous thread. Should be done in the next day or two.
>>
>>49653465
OH YOU'RE THAT GUY. That is really, really cool. You are really cool. Good luck, I hope your campaign is going to be rad.
>>
I have a question about scale. At the moment in my campaign, as a beginning DM, I've written room for 4 completely different plot threads that the players can go for.
>Disappearance of a student
>The cell has been subcontracted by a third party to do them a "small favour" by assassinating three men (possibly).
>Spooky fentanyl circulated by a possibly unwitting gang
>Some men with soothing voices are killing the homeless and harvesting their organs.

I could try to tie all four together.
The student was studying the effects of the fentanyl on local addicts for her graduate work when she was disappeared. The three men who have to die are somehow related to the gang. But that leaves no link for (d).

How come nobody told me how hard this is?
>>
>>49653706
homeless people are drug addicts, soothing voiced men are the distributers of the "fentanyl" which is cooking the organs of those who take it, soothing voiced men are puppets for a crocodile god?

just off the top of my head. also, google conspyramid from nights black agents
>>
>>49653706
Organs are part of the production process/ingredient.
>>
File: IMG_0050.jpg (139KB, 722x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0050.jpg
139KB, 722x1280px
>>49653465
I started giving my players little in character mission briefs. I like the Laundy's three word codes so I used them.

I think I got too specific with FATE. Next time I'm going to be careful to avoid words like "glyph" "sorcerer" and "madmen," because they're too specific
>>
>>49653778
>>49653800
Could work, thanks! I don't think that the soothing men are 100% related to the fentanyl, they may be a rival force trying to stop the drug by killing everyone related to it?
>>
>>49653890
Hell, maybe they're a delta green squad? Maybe they're taking the organs as a cover, maybe they only need one specific organ from each (the eyes of those who have seen beyond the stars, the tongue of one who has spoken words long dead etc) to build a flesh golem for their god
>>
>>49641465
New Delta Green is best Delta Green. It surpasses BRP system in every aspect.
>>
>>49653925
Yeah, I think I'll use that. Orrr they're mj-12 breakaways. I don't know.
>>
>>49653865
Too many CAPITALIZED SPY WORDS and it's way too heavy on the backstory. Also read the short story "BLIT" by David Langford.
>>
>>49654081
Can't agree more. Bonds give the players additional debt and the whole thing feels somehow even more brutal then original CoC
>>
>>49652841
Word of god is between Halloween and Valentines' hopefully.

>>49654081
I like it a lot. It's pretty much perfect for its intended purpose: deadly missions and tragic downtime in between.

I haven't read a lot of BRP or Runequest. But CoC7 does some awesome things that are easy to implement in DG, like pushing, luck spending, skill structure, and bouts of madness. Sanity is different, a more literary approach centered on character background. It also uses personal loss, but in a more symbolic and less immediate way. You can't deflect onto bonds in CoC7, but the keeper can change details on the 2nd page of the character sheet.

>>49653865
Laundry has a fundamentally different story structure. There's a lot of cynical comedy in it. Field agents get a lot of support in their missions, and they carry far less responsibility. Their downtime activities raise skills, sanity, and can explore clues or research projects. It's a much lighter tone. Sanity is a secondary concern most of the time. And sanity effects are harmless. Unless you manage to reach 0 san in one mission the character will be dragged off to therapy until they get better before being sent on another.
>>
>>49654313
But CAPITALIZED SPY WORDS make life worth living.

Their first time in NYC. If I'd known who would show up that day, I mightve prepped a second dossier for the local FBI agent about running missions in NYC.

>>49654566
And I mean... I've read the Laundry. Haven't actually read the game system. I just like Stross' naming convention.
>>
>>49654313
& yeah. "BASILISK JAUNDICE WINDOW" is the classification of the yellow sign.
>>
>>49654782
Stross uses codenames sparingly and mostly for specific things. Also the three word format makes it very unwieldy.
>>
>>49653865

Like >>49654313 said its a bit much. I also feel its way obvious. I mean, JAUNDICE REGENT ALDEBARAN, I'd say you might as well say it straight out, but then you kinda did. The others aren't quite so on the nose, but still too much.

Also feel that the Laundry has a more consistent feel to their system of code names, which also aren't always three words, see: BLUE HADES.

And spilling so much about fate? I'd have gone with more cryptic warnings about the city being somehow compromised, or hostile territory rather than stating who and what right away.
>>
The new Delta Green is amazing, though I'm waiting for the GUMSHOE ruleset/1960s setting to drop before I run anything. Have you read the free preview of new DG yet?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/175760/Delta-Green-Need-to-Know

I fucking love GUMSHOE.
>>
I really like the Laundry approach to The Black Chamber (US service).

It's a network of possessions. Agents are recruited by implanting a link. They can be completely remote controlled. Many don't have memories of their missions. Sounds like some Yithian tech to me. So The Black Chamber never really shows itself. But its meat puppets are basically DG agents who happen to have no memory of any mission they were in. They don't exactly know who controls them. In The Laundry it's other agents, but in DG you know it wouldn't be.

Could be a DG mission. Retire a cell that has been testing the new system but got possessed by something else in the process.
>>
>>49655156
Be aware that the devs have stated

The Fall of Delta Green will be Delta Green with Gumshoe mechanics, not Night's Black Agents or Trail of Cthulhu DG edition.
>>
>>49655116
I also printed out one of the reconstructions of the king in yellow and just left it on the table. The Player with 80% occult recognized BASILISK JAUNDICE WINDOW as the yellow sign immediately, and I allowed him to use his (sometimes incorrect) meta game knowledge.
>>
>>49645948
>NuDG
Nu DG wa date ja nai!
>>
>>49655274

That's all I'd want from it.
>>
So if I get the Core Rulebook, I wouldn't need the Case Officer's Hanbook or Agent's Handbook? I'm confused.
>>
>>49658958
The handbooks are for the 2016 edition. The core rules are for older editions iirc.
>>
>>49641465
Even better, OP, realize that Diarrhea Green is the worst Cthulhu setting.

It's everything wrong about modern Lovecraftiana mixed with dogshit X-Files fanfiction, try-hard nihilism, Ameriwank, and laughable HARD MEN MAKING HARD DECISIONS idiocy.

Bonus points for being made by a daft weirdo and his mediocre artist fuckboy!
>>
File: 1474917548635.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1474917548635.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>49661260
The try-hard nihilism has been there since Howie, anon.
>>
File: 1228896216113.png (292KB, 448x335px) Image search: [Google]
1228896216113.png
292KB, 448x335px
>>49661260
>>
>>49661260
Great post.
>>
>>49659028
>>49658958

Think i read somewhere they're renaming the full case officer's handbook, the one with both that chapter and the agent's in the same, to corebook.

I could be wrong though, but it would make sense, people know where to start when you have a 'corebook'.
>>
>>49663881
It will be titled Delta Green the Roleplaying Game and contain all you need to play.
>>
>>49663928

Ah, that's what it was. Thanks.
>>
>>49653465
Oh shit! I remember talking about this with you. I had ideas about orphans or migrants. What did you end up doing in the end?
>>
File: IMG_0053.png (233KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0053.png
233KB, 640x1136px
http://www.palinola.com/projects/lab/greenbox/

How's your green box shaping up?
>>
File: dg-anal-probing.jpg (150KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
dg-anal-probing.jpg
150KB, 960x960px
>>49645948
>>
>>49665636
That's a pretty nice tool, gotta use that next time we play
>>
>>49665038
It's the usual "Tcho-Tcho restaurant kidnaps people to cut costs on meat" deal but the protests centered around the restaurant makes any major police action a high risk of inciting a riot/PR nightmare/more attention than DG wants to manage so the agents have to figure out how to take down the cult without SWAT backup. One possible ending involves teaming up with the racist protestors and local Vietnamese migrants to raid the building.

There's also some stuff about a prion disease and a giant carnivorous plant but you'll have to wait until it's done to find out about those.
>>
>>49653706
The men with soothing voices are adepts from The Fate that went rogue and are harvesting organs to create the drugs (maybe they only harvest the organs of homeless people that were heavy drug abusers, the leftover junk in their systems can be filtered out and made into some kind of super drug though magic/weird science). They sell the drugs to the gang for money or whatever other weird stuff they might want. The third party is Stephen Alzis.
>>
>>49668420
How the fuck do I show players that?
>>
>>49668464
Homeless people tend to hang around each other, the agents can get leads on the soothing voiced men and find the pattern of heavy abusers being killed by interviewing other homeless people.
One of the gang members can mention them during an interrogation.
The agents could track the men down to one of their houses and find their lab.
Alzis could straight up tell them "some guys used to work for me but they got out of hand, do me a favor and take them out and I'll owe you one. By the way, don't let them talk to you."
>>
File: 20033053[1].jpg (28KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
20033053[1].jpg
28KB, 640x360px
>>49668593
My plan is to play the client like pic related. I'm going to try to make the soothing men arc-villains, keeping them always just out of reach. For instance, there could be a gas leak at the methadone clinic, and the security computer has been wiped. If the tech-player passes their computers roll, they'll get an incredibly snowy picture, and sound- "It's just gas...you've got to sleep."

I think that the gang members will refer to them as the "Kind Butchers". Has a mood to it. The players will find more and more corpses. Each with one piece missing.

I know I'm such a fucking scrubthief. Shamelessly ripping off both Utopia and Kill List.
>>
>>49647400
Gumshoe rules dude. What's your problem with it?
>>
>>49668830
>It's just gas...you go to sleep."

Might as well get it right
>>
>>49670732
Not that guy but Gumshoe's entire existence is based on the idea that finding pivotal clues shouldn't be left to chance which is a problem that really only ever comes up when the GM is too inexperienced to know that they shouldn't be doing that in the first place. It's essentially mystery game GM training wheels and while that's not a bad thing there isn't much reason to use it once you know how to avoid the rookie mistakes it was designed to fix.
>>
>>49670791
Fair.
>>
Blimp
>>
File: 1460436165423.jpg (53KB, 560x421px) Image search: [Google]
1460436165423.jpg
53KB, 560x421px
How would an FBI or CIA agent justify taking a week or two off to fuck around with DG? I feel like the higher-ups would become extremely suspicious or straight up wouldn't allow it.
>>
>>49674806
Agents get loaned between departments all the time. Just make up some alphabet soup agencies that his regular bosses think he's out doing elite missions for.
>>
>>49674806
Just because the guy is your boss it doesn't mean he's at the same level of clearance as you. He might get pissed at you and start digging into things if you pull the "You can't know why I need off" card too often but unless he proves you're faking it there's fuckall he can do about it.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.