[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Call of Cthulhu General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

File: Cthulhu.png (24KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu.png
24KB, 256x256px
Didn't see a Cthulhu thread. Figured I'd make one.

Debated on the title. Could do "Lovecraft" General so the Delta Green boys don't feel lonely. Whatever.

Anyway, my question is for you cinephiles and tv watchers who saw True Detective Season 1. It borrowed heavily from Lovecraft (and from Lovecraft's own inspirations) with its Yellow King/Carcosa plot of Occult Murders.

Season 2 completely shit the bed.

How would you have continued this story into a modern-day, Lovecraft/occult investigator story? Doesn't need to feature the same two detectives. I figure the original plan was to hop around the U.S., following different people stumbling upon the occult tapestry (until Cary Fukunaga left the project and Season 2 just became about land deals).
>>
File: Yellow King.jpg (245KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Yellow King.jpg
245KB, 1280x720px
>>49640071
>>
Wish there was more CoC love here
Yours is the first thread I've seen in a while

Anyone running anything CoC?
How's your campaign going?
I tried getting a few people into it, but the session ended halfway through The Haunting, then once more through another premade
>>
>>49642394
Yeah, I'm running two groups through the new Stygian Fox adventures

it's good
>>
>>49642394
I'm doing CoC for the first time in a couple weeks,
>>
We had /ysg/ going strong for a few weeks but it turned out to be ephemeral.
>>
>>49640071
Fuck Trump and fuck all white peopple.
>>
File: Confused Cthulhu.png (61KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
Confused Cthulhu.png
61KB, 300x250px
>>49644863
What the fuck?
>>
>>49644863
Honestly, I much prefer the book versions of The Expanse to the televised adaptions.
>>
File: cthulhu-elderthingspenguins.jpg (107KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu-elderthingspenguins.jpg
107KB, 1024x683px
>>49642394
I'm halfway through running Beyond the Mountains of Madness.
>>
>>49640071
Here, have this.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4oq77dpsnqa4u/7th_Edition
>>
>>49645816
How is it?

I'm about to do CoC for first time. The Haunting.
>>
File: Cthulhu2016.jpg (11KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu2016.jpg
11KB, 194x259px
>>49642394
I just started running a Call of Cthulhu campaign after cancelling my Mutants & Masterminds campaign.

I'm setting each arc of the campaign during a different decade of the twentieth century. The first (current) arc is in San Francisco in April 1906. One of my players seems super into it, the rest seem ok with it but no moreso than the M&M game.

One question: Is there a point in statting out beings of immense power, like Great Old Ones? I feel like I might as well just say "Cthulhu arrives, you all go insane and are eaten" so they don't try to Old Man Henderson me.

>>49644863
Agree 100%, pic related
>>
>>49646747

Ive thought about doing that, taking inspiration from Eternal Darkness. Make a series of short campaigns that all track the path of one cursed artifact through history.
>>
>>49646807
I think it will work well for CoC; players don't normally get attached to their characters anyway (except for my one player who wants to play a reincarnating catgirl of course).
>>
What influences besides Lovecraft and his stories do you guys use when forming scenarios and campaigns?
>>
>>49648171
Historical stuff. I was reading a book about the origins of oil drilling and started imagining a scenario involving 19th century oil wildcatters. Templars fighting horrible monsters with heretical secret rituals.

Really, you just think of a time and place where bad shit was happening and then you figure out a way to make it even worse. Cause the crazies always seem to thrive when everything else has gone to shit.
>>
>>49646747
>Is there a point in statting out beings of immense power, like Great Old Ones?
Cthulhu eats 1d3 PCs each round. That should be enough.
>>
File: story.jpg (553KB, 1148x2072px) Image search: [Google]
story.jpg
553KB, 1148x2072px
>>49648171
creepypasta is often good for CoC
I based a setting on this, worked quite well
>>
>>49640071
>Season 2 completely shit the bed.
Season 2 was a solid neo-noir in the tradition of James Elroy and Michael Mann movies. But it didn't pander to fags like with the plagiarism and the "Lovecraft elements", (even though the Yellow King was just posturing anyway and all the supposed occult stuff was one drugged out PTSD wreck's hallucination) for Pizza-lotto threw in S1 to bait you. Sorry you didn't have your entitlement rewarded with a rehash of the same-old, but you're probably better off keeping your retardation a bit less hidden when it comes to this.
>>
>>49646747
If you stat it, they can kill it. That's antithetical to the idea of Call of Cthulhu. One of the Big Nasties showing up should be a loss condition.
>>
So what had been going on with Chaosium over the past few years? It sounded like things were going to shit so they begged Sandy Petersen to help pull things back together.
>>
>>49650575
Remember that your cults should focus on black and brown or "primitive" people (by turn of the century/Jazz Age standards).

Lovecraft's shtick is the collapse of civilization as its assaulted by barbarism and internal decadence and how the various shamanic/spirit religions of the world (be they Lascar, Levantine, Eskimo, Polynesian, etc.) are actually one interconnected cult of worshipers of the Great Old Ones and their high priest, Great Cthulhu.
>>
>>49645852
So, uh...

Anyone else notice this has pdfs of most of the 7e books?
>>
>>49650612
Bruh. Don't be so buttblasted.

I think HBO admitting the second season was shit and the visceral fan reaction is proof enough.

And literary allusion and "plagiarism" are not the same thing. When Lovecraft references 19th century writers, is he a plagiarist? The argument's ridiculous. Nor was the occult stuff just one drugged out dude -- do you not remember how they found videos of the cult performing ritual rapes on children? Go watch the First Season, again. Trying to defend the second season has rotted your brain.
>>
File: Kanye Really.jpg (92KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Kanye Really.jpg
92KB, 400x400px
>>49651383
That's the point.
>>
>>49640071
I'm running a campaing where a father of a kid is trying to cure his ''cancer'', he and the others PC end up in a little settelment in the woods inhabited by weird people, make them cultist is too easy and overdone, so the villagers are just ensalved there and need to be rescued. The kids went trought a ritual that killed them and re- animated them but they don't keep the same soul, in fact horrible things took control of the body.
>>
>>49651627
So there is this gloomy chapel in a hill, all creapy and stuff, a ritual ''cementery'', the houses are made out of wood and crack and shit, and tthe deeper you go into the forest the more dark and dangerous it becomes. Any tips or suggestions for my setting?
>>
>>49651660
Play Silent Hill.

Also allow players to say "X" and roll 2D10. On a 10% or lower, the father player can only yell "Sean!!!!" for the rest of the game and must communicate through yelling Sean. (also play Heavy Rain)

But in all seriousness... it's not necessarily a bad thing to make them cultists. You can always make them unaware cultists. They worship at a church which has some Santeria elements (and is, in fact, actually a temple of the Old Ones, perhaps built on one of the great Mounds of the Mississippi Mound Builders if its in the U.S.). The priest (who is the son of the last priest, who was the son of the last priest, etc.) is maybe descended from African slaves who brought voudoun or santeria with them. The originator of this was far deeper into the cult (perhaps a hierophant in Africa) and preserved the knowledge -- such that he recognized the similarity in the Missippi Mound Builders.

If you make it Old Ones by way of Voodoo-Christianity, you can even work in the slaves (as voodoo "zombi".)
>>
bump no sage
>>
>>49650612

Honestly, I liked Vince Vaughn's villain more than McConaughey's agent Coldsteel.
Other than that, TD's season one is pretty decent.
>>
Reading the rules for 6th now. I personally love the style of CoC cause under powered protagonists is my butter and jam Also some repressed bitterness about excessive munchkining

Not sure about a long running campaign. But the group is down for it in the meantime. Thinking of running premades, NightVale episodes (non-silly of course), or a "Call of Spongebob" NightShift esque idea.
>>
>>49655332
Check out Warhammer Fantasy Battle Roleplaying Game.

Underpowered protagonists is all you get. (Well, with some expansions, you can EVENTUALLY become a hero).

Premades can be good because you can tailor their characters to a specific adventure. However, you could also just make them random roll all their stats.

In addition, while the rules of 7e don't have you random roll the credit rating, I think that would be a good idea too.
>>
>>49655365
Noted and WILL check out now.

Aside from credit rating, any other noteworthy changes between 6 and 7?
>>
>>49655563
I dunno. I'm new. Only played 7. Just something I noted during character creation that seems like a missed opportunity.

For example, you roll all of your attributes (certain people like to roll a certain number of times then assign their attributes where they like -- these people are wrong and stupid and to be ignored).

Then they pick an occupation. You should then have them roll their credit rating as opposed to using skill points, if only because some credit ranges are gigantic and your credit will very much determine the type of character you are... and if you're trying to randomize character creation as much as possible... Well, it can be the difference between being a wealthy, famous tennis champion or some shmuck baseball player outshined by Babe Ruth.

Warhammer is best described as CoC in the Middle Ages. If only because it is incredibly lethal and all of the best adventures involve less fighting and more investigating hidden cults. However, it has even more randomization in that it recommends you roll for a random Career (its term for Occupations).

The starting careers include stuff like "Peasant Farmer," "Camp Follower," "Student," "Rat Catcher," etc.

Eventually, if you're lucky and if you aim for it from the start, you can become a hero like a Grail Knight, but it's not something you start as. And given you can die from a bad roll trying to get on a horse...
>>
File: green bo.jpg (231KB, 1121x535px) Image search: [Google]
green bo.jpg
231KB, 1121x535px
>>49655332
consider Delta Green for some of the one shots. PC powergaming tendencies turn into "being actually prepared and playing things to the hilt" when you actually have resources to back you up

lets roll some green boxes

http://www.palinola.com/projects/lab/greenbox/

for those who haven't played DG, it's a place where agents store their crap or get rid of useful evidence, almost like a geocache

i figure even just the "books" function is a fun way to fill out a weirdo's library
>>
>>49640071
"Why settle for a lesser evil?"
>>
>>49657521
I like this.
>>
File: CrimsonCourt_promo.jpg (727KB, 1000x1671px) Image search: [Google]
CrimsonCourt_promo.jpg
727KB, 1000x1671px
While not directly tabletop, but certainly Lovecraftian, Darkest Dungeon is getting an expansion!
>>
>>49660015
Tell me about Darkest Dungeon?
>>
>>49660250

Basically a turn based RPG with a focus on the stresses of delving dungeons. You build a party of four, from 15 different classes, and explore dungeons room by room. It is grindy and pretty unforgiving. Stress is a main mechanic, basically like Sanity from Call of Cthulhu. Gain too much and the hero can become Afflicted , or even die from a Heart Attack.

Story goes that your Ancestor dug too deep and found things Man Was Not Meant To Know. Now it's your turn to fix what he has unleashed.
>>
File: Darkest Dungeon - 0005.gif (257KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Darkest Dungeon - 0005.gif
257KB, 500x500px
>>49660743

Also, it is narrated by Wayne June, who has also done Lovecraft audio books. I really think he should do a project with Logan Cunningham. Even if they read the fucking phonebook.
>>
>>49651396
No, some of the dialogue at the end of Season 1 is ripped from an Alan Moore comic.
>>
>>49660743
You reckon it'll be part of the Steam Halloween sale?
>>
>>49661044

I don't know man, I'm not sure it's spooky enough.
>>
>>49661124
It looks spoopy. And I heard they're getting a vampire dlc.

You sure it's not spooky?

Also, JRPG combat... uggghhhhh... why couldn't it be a western RPG style?
>>
>>49661246
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT84E0gD0AI
>>
So /tg/ what are your thoughts on Abdul Alhazrad and the Necronomicon?
>>
>>49648171
David Lynch, The Residents, Unedited Footage of a Bear/This House Has People In It, and other hipster junk with a surprise creepy factor.
>>
>>49644863
thegn kyew
>>
It's technically a /v/ question, but how do I get Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth to work? I installed the patch, but the game keeps crashing in the prologue as soon as I enter the house's basement in the library.
>>
>>49651396
Several lines of dialogue are ripped straight from Ligotti's "Conspiracy Against The Human Race" if I remember right. I still love season 1 but it seems more and more like Pizzaman is a hack who got lucky.
>>
>>49650612
S1 at least had the question of whether or not anything supernatural was going on to keep things interesting. S2 was just "the local politicians are corrupt and fuck hookers WHOA" which was pretty clear from the first episode.
>>
>>49667859
Season 2 is evidence enough that Pizzaman is a hack who got lucky.

>>49667913
I spent all fucking season waiting for the other shoe to drop and for some cult to Nyarlathotep and Trains to appear.

I'm still sad we never got a season in the Pacific Northwest focused on Indian religions and murders.

>Ritualistic murders begin in Washington/Oregon
>Detectives stumbling through the rain forests of the Pacific Northwest, shadowed by masked figures
>Based on the rituals and fetishes they find, they begin suspecting this faith revival group of Pacific Northwest indians.
>Kill the leader of the revival group; think they've solved the mystery
>Turns out the rituals are carried out by white former tree-huggers who went too deep on their native fetishization and accidentally revived an Old Ones cult; the Indian faith revival dude was actually trying to stop them.

(New England would be good, too, obviously -- Boston would be a great setting for half the season, then move out of the urban area for the creepy second half, but it would be too obvious)
>>
>>49668357
Have a moment where one of the detectives stumbles upon the cult in the rainforest, dancing around a totempole, but the traditional animal heads of the totem seem to be shifting back and forth -- some with too many eyes, some with extra appendages...
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.