[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is lovecraftian mythos the most over-rated, overused and terribly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 31

File: 1446964393716.jpg (61KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1446964393716.jpg
61KB, 500x375px
Is lovecraftian mythos the most over-rated, overused and terribly boring fantasy setting yet?
>>
What do you think Lovecraftian means other than 'alien squid monsters'?
>>
I'd rather talk about that dog
>>
>>49630979
He's bloated with something, possibly eldritch power.
>>
File: IMG_2571.jpg (105KB, 800x999px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2571.jpg
105KB, 800x999px
As understood by nerds and geeks, absolutely.
>>
File: Dreamlands-large.jpg (5MB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamlands-large.jpg
5MB, 1728x1152px
>>49630940

"LOL TENTACLES MIRITE U GOIN CRAZY NOW" is over used. Actual Lovecraft is woefully underused.
>>
>>49630940
No.

"lol cthulhu" is

But the actual mythos barely enters into it
>>
>>49630940
I was just having a conversation about this. Essentially what it boils down to is: Lovecraftian stuff is like steampunk; it's overdone and boring because it's more often than not improperly handled and just stapled to things to make them "better". So yes, it's overused, possibly over-rated, but boring is subjective.
>>
>>49630940
No, that award goes to Steampunk.
>>
It's getting there, but it'll have to go through steampunk first.
>>
>>49631023
People forget that the tentacle-gods are just stand ins for philosophical ideas. Honestly, I'd say one of the best pieces of ACTUAL Cosmic Horror in the popular eye right now would be Rick & Morty.
>>
>>49630940
Maybe if you could read, you'd realize the true depth of Lovecraft's works and the tons of horror and great game-worthy material you can find.
>>
>>49631100
True Detective S1 nailed the Lovecraft theme so hard that it really didn't need spooky monsters to count.
>>
>>49630979
he's a big borfer
>>
>>49631005
This anon knows what he's talking about. Pre-Tolkien fantasy can be super interesting, imao.
>>
I can only parrot what is already said in this thread.

Before reading Well, actually listening to the Wayne June audiobooks 10/10 still relisten Lovecraft's actual works and only seeing it in meme form I the mythos was pretty lame. But that is because it has been a part of niche and eventual pop culture so it gets sort of dumbed down as the memes spread.

And when people say Lovecraftian they usually always mean Cthulhu or Deep Ones. Nobody ever talks about cool shit like Rats in the Wall or The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Even more well known ones like The Colour Out of Space or the Reanimator gets forgotten about when people post about Lovecraftian. Its all just tentecles and lol madness.

Protip. Almost none of the protagonists of the main stories go mad. They are usually perfectly sane and know things humans are not supposed to know.
>>
>>49631100
Rick and Morty is amazing, and I might be inclined to agree with you.
>>
>>49631100
>I'd say one of the best pieces of ACTUAL Cosmic Horror in the popular eye right now would be Rick & Morty
I don't think I'd agree. It certainly has elements of it, but it's primarily a comedy.

I'd say >>49631162 is closer to the mark but again it's still only elements of cosmic horror.

It's just not a genre that holds up very well in the modern age. Not to say it couldn't, but most "cosmic horror"esque stories are much too derivative to be effective, since it kind of requires being a new idea for it to work.
>>
>>49630994
kek
>>
>>49631434
I think that's defeatist. Just because something's comedic doens't mean it can't also be horrific. Comedy and horror can be two responses to negative stimulus. Also to say that cosmic horror doesn't hold up well in the modern age, when I see no reason for that not to be true, when we are still aware of our insignificance and probing out into the universe only shows that more and more.
>>
>>49631164
For you.
>>
>>49631100
The Secret World has pretty good Cosmic Horror as a stand in for Stale Memes.
>>
Fuck traditional Lovecraft, post-modern Lovecraft is where it's really at.

Less stale incomprehensible geometry or going insane because you saw a squid and more horrifying revelations that the despair caused by being turned into Brendan Fraser after Tyrone knocked up your wife is in fact the only thing keeping the sleeping death god at the bottom of the sea from waking up, causing you to further propagate an agenda of multiculturalism to keep the apocalypse at bay.
>>
>>49631434
I dunno, I think that cosmic horror should abound in the modern age. We know more about our insignificance than ever before. There are more and more discoveries being made, with huge astronomical phenomena and celestial bodies being mind-crushingly large in scale that are discovered all the time. We matter so little in the grand scheme of things and that's what cosmic horror is about.
>>
>>49631698
Yeah, those are all pretty B-movie stupid but WOULD be quite horrifying if true.
>>
>>49631738
That's the point. It's fucking retarded and unintuitive, to the point where you wouldn't even want to reap the benefits / avoid the consequences if it meant going through with it. That's what makes it terrifying.
>>
>>49631698
I think you need to take a break from /tv/.
>>
>>49630999
>Lovecraft
>Understood
>>
>>49631593

We're *too* aware of our insignificance for Cosmic Horror to work anymore. The idea that the universe does not especially notice or care about humans is no longer horrifying. It's the norm. That's why we get so many hacks reinterpreting it as the cosmos being unfriendly to humanity. The original reveal is no longer surprising enough to hang a story on. The average response to the mi-go having a giant space empire that doesn't even care about us is "okay, so what? Why do we care?" The only people who would be shocked by the idea that humans can't automatically kick the ass of every alien species we encounter are too dense to understand a story where that's the case.
>>
>>49631698
These, uh, aren't really Lovecraftian (except the Mormon one... and the racists element, hah). A few are kinda creepy, but not really "pathetic humanity can NEVER adapt or survive long-term in the nihilistic and soul-crushing cosmos, even when we try and serve the gods who, though infinitely more powerful than mankind, are utterly meaningless themselves".

These horror ideas are too anthropocentric, and the worlds they present, though insane, still give meaning to our existence.
>>
>>49632186
I don't know if it was ever a "reveal". I think at the time most people were pretty earth-centric, but sit alone for too long and you'll eventually start to contemplate your own existence in uncomfortable ways.

We can keep on distracting ourselves and turning the faces of said Cosmic Horror into pop culture plushies, but it doesn't change the face that we're just waiting for someone else to come along and ask the same uncomfortable questions.
>>
Oh, it's another '/tg/ pretends to be intelligent' thread.
Don't worry, anons, you're all smarter and wiser than all other geeks out there.
>>
File: yoggy.gif (247KB, 510x660px) Image search: [Google]
yoggy.gif
247KB, 510x660px
>>49630940

The gods would take offense, but you are below their notice. I will give you a cursory glance to one of their elements, and you'll be wise to know your place.
>>
>>49630940
Nah.
>>
>>49630940
If you treat it as a fantasy setting it very well might be.
>>
>>49632186
>>49632239
Something most people never realize about the Cthulhu Mythos:

Every single servitor race serves a deity figure which created them, or a deity figure which supports them. Even the Mi-Go receive blessings from the Outer Gods and even the Elder Gods, and know their place in the universe.

Humans have no such ties, no such blessings. they are an accident, and have no place in the universe, have no worth orvalue in the eyes of any deities. Even the Great Race only views them as a momentary byproduct of accidental life caused by the death of the Elder Things, and of no great import in the scheme of things. We're a footnote in their library.

It's not that we're unnoticeable and incapable. It's simply that we don't matter and have no purpose or cause, just a momentary aberration of conscious proteins in the universe. We have no deities to stand for us or protect us from the other forms of life out there. The reason we have so many religions, so many people seeking power and refuge in cults is because there is no deity to protect us save the ones we find, or the ones we make up.

We're orphans in a universe teeming with life forms that have purpose and meaning in their lives. The entire reason the Mi-Go study us is because they can - we're not protected by anything.
>>
>>49634241
Derleth pls leave
>>
>>49630940
Let me guess: your liberal overlords told you that liking HP Lovercraft was BADTOUGHT PSYCOCRIME because he was about as racist as your grandpa.
Once you absorbed the new directives from the hivemind and derived awfull depraved sexual pleasure from being soiled by their corruption and the possibility to help soil western civilization in turn; you decided to search for rationalizations to make your obviously idiotic new orders make sense. You then decided that the least retarded of the options you had was pretending that one of the most creative and innovative people of his era, whose work influenced multiple generations of awesome writers, was actually an useless hack all along.
You came to this idiotic conclusion because like all libertards, you're a retard yourself and being mindlinked/raped to/by milions other retards doesn't make you any smarter.
>>
The general structure of Lovecraft's cosmology is interesting enough but Lovecraft is a really lackluster author in execution, his stories are all very dry and slow-going.
>>
>>49634246
Actually it was Lin Carter and Clark A. Smith that posited that, you know.

Derleth WAS a hack.
>>
>>49634256

Did your alt rightism drive your girlfriend away? It's okay, no one here loves you either.
>>
>>49634307
>>alt rightism.
You tumblrinas should learn to read.
>>
File: Lovecraft's chart.jpg (67KB, 564x691px) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft's chart.jpg
67KB, 564x691px
>>49634272
Lovecraft has no cosmology. He drew one chart outlining the relation of a few of his creatures in his notes where he developed ideas long before they entered any story, many were discarded and rightfully so.

The structure of a consistent cosmology that gets referenced reliably is all Derleth. Lovecraft only used unreliable narrators to outline glimpses into lore. And he used lore as a device that molds to the story, not the other way around. His cooperations and inspirations make it obvious that he viewed his stories as a transient individual product in a cultural context and not a canon.

And that's the only way to treat the Mythos in gaming. It is not a canon of things all happening in one reality but a pool of inspirations and references.

For instance when I use Deep Ones, and I do, then I don't try to portray them as that one race that has these certain characteristics and internal structure which the players get to discover again and again with different characters. Instead I use their themes and symbols to create a new mystery each time. In one scenario the investigators might run into an Innsmouth type situation with a thriving culture of secret sea people only mildly interested in mankind as a whole but using individuals to their own cruel and cosmically radical ends. And in the next scenario different investigators discover the last Deep One alive who warns them that a change is coming to the planet. This is totally in keeping with HPL, but not Derleth.
>>
>>49634256
So as much of a faggot as you're acting like, you do have a point. I feel as though a large part of modern sci-fi writers' anti-lovecraft boner is the result of trying to stand out by pointing at popular thing and saying "but he doesn't like blacks, we should judge him by modern standards."
It's less "BADTHOUGHT PSYCHOCRIME" and more "10 things u didn't kno about ur favorite authors, and why that makes u a bad person". You thought it was a greater conspiracy, but ultimately your little war really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, and what you observe is merely a side effect of a greater, more insidious social change that hits everyone.

But no, Lovecraft isn't over-rated, it's just frequently abused for name-recognition of a copywrite-free brand.
>>
>>49631162
What True Detective shares with Lovecraftian writing is an entirely nihilistic worldview. That doesn't make it cosmic horror though.
>>
>>49634331
Sure, VO, w/e
>>
>>49634368
To be fair freaking the fuck out just because one of your ancestors was a nigger was pretty racist even for its day.
>>
>>49631005
A Dreamland videogame RPG would be my perfect game. I imagine something contemplative and eerie a la Morrowind.
>>
>>49634392
supposedly, Lovecraft wrote Innsmouth because he freaked out after finding out he was part Welsh, but I somehow doubt that was actually his genuine opinion. I mean, his wife was a jew, and by all accounts they had a sense of humor about it.
>>
>>49630940

Yes.

It's such wank too. Lovecraft wasn't a particularly good writer and his -verse is woefully anemic when it comes to actual substance.

It really is just a bunch of scary things that are scary on the merit that they are apparently supposed to be scary to us, so be afraid now.
>>
>>49630940
No.

It is, however, too often used by people who never actually read Lovecraft and thus frequently misunderstood.
>>
>>49634285
Deifying the Old Ones, as well as ascribing purpose to non-human races, reek of Derleth--or at the very least of completely missing the point of Lovecraft.

In the end, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, and all the other--when compared to us--seemingly omnipotent beings in the universe are just as insignificant and meaningless.
>>
>>49630940
Nope, that would be pure fantasy.

Fantasy is the most over-rated, overused, and terribly boring fantasy setting yet.
>>
>>49634507
What was wrong with the Mountains of Madness picture?
>>
>>49634364
I mostly agree, but I think there are enough recurring elements that keep getting presented similarly enought that there is a basic "cosmology" when it comes to how the world in his stories works. HPL certainly wasn't somebody like Tolkien, though, and he very frequently contradicted himself (like, Cthulhu is described as one of the Great Old Ones and as a similar but not quite the same being, depending on the story).

I rather like that Lovecraft's setting is coherent enough when it comes to a basic theme and outline, but vague enough that you can have your own interpretation on the details and how to use them.
>>
File: the mountains.png (2MB, 1219x950px) Image search: [Google]
the mountains.png
2MB, 1219x950px
>>49634554
It had the order number from my digital copy of the book. Here's a cropped version
>>
>>49630940
Even as a Lovecraft fan I agree. In terms of "geek culture" anyway.
>>
>>49634364
He needs no cosmology, tho.
One of the themes is that we humans can't get that eagle-eye view from above that would explain things. The cosmic horrors are even more cryptic than devils and demons, with whom magicians at least could talk.
The only ones that explain shit are the aliens that will put your brain in a jar.
>>
>>49634576
It's a little odd because it feels like a lot of fantasy settings have a race or deity or something which is directly inspired by Lovecraft but the setting is almost never designed to accommodate it so it always feels out of place.

Ideally I'd have no HPL references in my general fantasy and maybe a couple cosmic fantasy settings made specifically for that
>>
>>49634601
Yeah, but a lot of fantasy settings, especially those made for gaming, love dem references to geek culture just for the sake of making a reference.
>>
>>49634256

That or he's actually a bad author, which he was. Lovecraft isn't great prose, it's fun, overwrought pulp. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>49634571
You mean 8698OMG?
>>
>>49634256
>everything bad is derived from this group I don't like

>this makes THEM a hivemind

Perfect logic
>>
no, it's the one that utilized the worst
>>
>>49634655
I don't know, I'd say Abrahamic religions, anything-punk, and Asian cultures tend to get used less effectively
>>
>>49634368
I'm pretty left, and I've never heard anyone say we shouldn't like Lovecraft because he's a crazy bigot for his day. I don't like Lovecraft because he's a hack writer who invented the concept of "its too scary guise, I can't describe it!" and seems to end stories by rolling a die to decide where this one ends.
>>
>>49634694
except he wrote really long, detailed descriptions of most of his monsters
>>
>>49634712
Lovecraft fan here, no he didn't. He wrote a lot of lengthy yet vague outlines to express a general feel for the being whilst always reiterating parts are beyond description or comprehension.
>>
>>49631698
That's a)terrible and b)doesn't have anything to do with Lovecraft.
>>
>>49630940
>lovecraftian mythos
>a setting
Don't mix Derleth's fanfics with the original.
>>
>>49630940
b8
>>
>>49630940
No but it's definitely the most misappropriated and misinterpreted setting.
>There are people on this board RIGHT NOW that think Lovecraft's work is overly pessimistic
>These people think themselves good writers
>>
>>49630940
> I don't like something therefore it is objectively bad

Cool shitpost bro
>>
>>49634827
Lovecraft himself describes his mythos cycle as hopeless.

His Dream Cycle and mythos cycle aren't intended to be "canon" with each other.
>>
>>49634368
>So as much of a faggot as you're acting like, you do have a point
It's 4chan. It's either being hyperbolic or being ignored. Envious dogmatic liberals are still ridiculous and envious.
>>"10 things u didn't kno about ur favorite authors, and why that makes u a bad person"
This is an issue of presentation not of content. You still committed psychocrime.
>>You thought it was a greater conspiracy, but ultimately your little war really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, and what you observe is merely a side effect of a greater, more insidious social change that hits everyone.
This is were you're wrong. I don't believe in cospiracies. I believe people behave as sheep and virtue signal amongst themselves to belong to a group even and expecially when virtue signaling makes them seem tumb or act dumb, because then their fidelty to The group can't be contested. So when some retard pseudocritic starts some epic bantz against, for instance, HP; The Hive Mind follows.
The fact The ideas of this particular hivemind are self destructive and incompatible with western civilization should be obvious to anyone listening to what it's being said.
>>But no, Lovecraft isn't over-rated, it's just frequently abused for name-recognition of a copywrite-free brand.
We're in perfect agreement here.
>>
>>49634887
>Behave as sheep and virtue signal to belong to a group
The irony of you saying this I imagine being lost on you.
>>
File: 1356411712946.jpg (56KB, 448x609px) Image search: [Google]
1356411712946.jpg
56KB, 448x609px
>>49634887
>>
>>49634733
>Lovecraft fan here, no he didn't.
It's been a while since I read my last Lovecraftbook but I remember he did it in Dunwich Horror.
>>
>>49630940
over rated no, overused by people who dont know what it is about and tend to go "lololololol chthulu am i right?" yes
>>
>>49634651
Yes I know my Logic is perfect, you don't need to humiliate yourself for my sake.
>>49634631
>>pulp=bad!
>>different prose from Joyce= bad prose
Read some books some day, you might like them.
>>49634374
>>everyone that disagrees with me is Vitual Optim, ALTRIGHT, from /pol/, or pick all three.
Hypocrisy has allways been your strong suit, hasn't it?
>>
>>49635084
No that's fair. But the Dunwich Horror was in general a departure from his typical fomula.
>>
>>49634914
>>irony
To whom am I virtue signaling exactly?>>49635053
Ooh an Image that calls me an AUTIST! That sure showed me what's what!
>>
File: it sounds better in elvish.png (209KB, 819x412px) Image search: [Google]
it sounds better in elvish.png
209KB, 819x412px
>>49635132
>>
>>49635151
Perhaps I am. I should totally call you an homophobe for that and ruin your life.
>>
>>49635132
To the thread of course. We're so glad you told us repeatedly you aren't liberal. Naturally you're about to say it's not virtue signalling when you do it, call me a cuck, post the image of a masked nu-male, Chuck or Pepe. Or all of the above.
>>
>>49630979
This. The rest of the thread sucks. Let's really dig deep into that fat dog.
Is this the average /tg/ poster, just in dog form?
>>
>>49635196
Is the average /tg/ poster cute and cuddlesome?
>>
>>49635174
You don't get it. Everyone naturally agrees with him, and the only reason they wouldn't is if they were brainwashed. So when you do something, it's virtue-signalling to your overlords, whereas when he does it, it's bravely fighting against the tyranny of the Hive Mind.
>>
>>49635251
all the ones I've met have been
>>
>>49635284
A-Yup.
>>
>>49634455
>his wife was a jew

Wasn't there a quote where he went on a rant about Jews and his wife reminded him that she was jewish and he just replied "no you're not, you're a Lovecraft" or some such. If true it's got to be one of the weirdest but cute things ever said.

With the whole Lovecraft was racist thing it genuinely wasn't entirely his fault. Lovecraft was slightly autistic and as such liked to neatly categorize things and got upset by things that didn't fit into a niche neatly. He had grow up in a very homogenous society, both culturally and ethnically, and as such had a narrow view of what was typically ladled "A Person". No real harm there. It's just that he freak out slightly at an instinctive level when confronted by something that was close enough to count as a person to a normal person but was enough the wrong colour and shape to not fit neatly into his "A Person" metal box.
>>
>>49635414

No one fucking cares that he was racist. Anyfucking one from before 1940 or even 50 was a racist. Who cares? It's noted, sure, but it's not shocking anyone, even Twain used racial slurs.

Seeing as he used Polynesian ruins to help springboard R'leyth and had Hotep be 'the black guy' he's already more inclusive than LoTR.
>>
>>49635441
Most racists in his day and age didn't believe black people laid eggs.
>>
>>49635441
I wasn't saying we should care. Quite the reverse in fact. If you had also followed the chain of reasoning a little further you would have reached the two sad conclusions I did.

1. Libtards who shit on him for being an insensitive and intolerant are showing no tolerance to an autist for something he can't help.

2. People went nuts from the perspectives of the unaffiliated in his stories because they knew something we didn't and so acted in a manner that when viewed without their knowledge made them look round the bend. Lovecraft lived in a world where everyone acted in a way he didn't quite understand, seemed to follow thought processes subtly different from his own and were quite strange to him as a result. He was to a small extent living the nightmare.

Both of these are slightly funny but also fairly sad.
>>
>>49635441
You're getting mixed up here kid.

You can't really "get" Lovecraft without the understanding he was racist even by standards of his era.

Understanding that. =/= Agreeing with him.

Liking Lovecraft's work =/= You are racist.
>>
>>49635557
Oh boy, here's the virtue signaller again who can't grasp the world except through the lens of his ideology.
>>
>>49631210
>Nobody ever talks about cool shit like Rats in the Wall or The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Holy shit yes the Case of Charles Dexter Ward. The idea of a cabal of necromancer wizards trading ressurection materials for famous people from antiquity like Pokemon is fucking ace.

>Hey Big-C, I've got a big blaspheme-off comeing up, what you got in ancient Pharaohs?
>Sup Simon...
>Uh, it's Jed these days.
>Whatever. Anyway, take a look at this, Essential Salts of Ozzy-fucking-Mandius himself Ramses the 2nd. Boom.
>I will fucking trade you three french knights and Maria Antoinette for that shit.
>You haven't got Maria Antoinette. We keep telling you this, we can't exctract the salts if the heads removed. What you have there is a frenchwoman who's good at lying, which makes her incredibly common.
>Fine, 2 French Knights and that Viking with the good singing voice.
>You know what I want "Jed"
>But... fine. Here. You can have my King Arthur.
>Done and done... wait, why is this a woman?
>TOO LATE NO BACKSIES!
>>
>>49635612
>don't conjure up what you can't put down
I always loved that line
>>
>>49635527
Do you have any evidence for that other than a comic parodying him?
>>
>>49635631

> I say to you againe, doe not call up Any that you can not put downe; by the Which I meane, Any that can in Turne call up somewhat against you, whereby your Powerfullest Devices may not be of use. Ask of the Lesser, lest the Greater shall not wish to Answer, and shall commande more than you.
>>
>>49635593
I understand every word in that sentence and it makes no sense to me.

>virtue signaller
???

Is this an American pop culture reference or rapper or some shit?
>>
File: oh-you-show.jpg (33KB, 576x452px) Image search: [Google]
oh-you-show.jpg
33KB, 576x452px
>>49635612
>wait, why is this a woman?
I had a hearty chuckle. You should write more of Simon and Jed.
>>
>>49635697
Basically it means "one who does good not for wishing to be good, but for others to witness them doing good."
>>
>>49635697
One who signals their virtues, eg...
"LOOK AT ME INTERNET, I'M LIBERAL!!!"
Or
"LOOK AT ME INTERNET, I'M NOT LIBERAL!!!"
>>
>>49635734
So pointing out that Lovecraft saw the world in an odd way because of his mental defect and that his work is heavily influenced by this skewed view of the world counts as that?

How?
>>
>>49635762
No clue. I'm not them.
>>
>>49635762
Because you had to make it a MUH LIBTARDS issue.
>>
>>49635803
Throwing a hissy fit because an autistic from a past era said something unkind about blacks and jews is stereotypically overly sensitive liberal extremist quite retarded.
>>
>>49635824
No one in this thread did anything like that though.
>>
>>49635824
Inventing boogeymen then vomiting them into the discussion is worthless. There is no conspiracy to devalue Lovecraft, just people with opinions about his racism. If opinions not your own trigger you, maybe the internet isn't for you.
>>
>>49634256
My grandfathers were both pretty egalitarian guys. They certainly wouldn't have had a moment of horrific existential dread because they found out they were slightly welsh.
>>
>>49634371
Did you miss all the references to the yellow King? Did you even watch the show?
>>
>>49630940
Probably not but it does often suck.

Most of the mythos is effectively fanfiction as most of what Lovecraft wrote wasn't really a single coherent setting.
>>
>>49635935
But the king in yellow wasn't written by lovecraft.
>>
>>49635958
no but it does follow enough similar themes to be considered Lovecraftian horror retroactively
>>
>>49635970
Cosmic Horror is a genre.
Lovecraftian is almost always bad fanfiction.
>>
>>49635991
it's generally used interchangeably, if you want just mentally amend my post to "no but it does follow enough similar themes to be considered cosmic horror retroactively"
>>
>>49635991
Fanfiction is fine
August Derleth wasn't that bad of a writer, no matter what he got "wrong" about themes
>>
>>49636032
So it's still not Lovecraft. Ok.
>>
>>49636038
The fact he fucked the themes is what made his fanfiction bad.

Kinda like if someone added spiral power to LOTR. No matter how well written it was, it would still be retarded.

But at least Derleth wasn't responsible for Titus Crowe.
>>
>>49636076
>Crowe
Why do I always add the extra "e"?
>>
>>49634869

The problem with that is that they have a titular character in common: Randolph Carter.

Carter is a recurring character who ends up seeing bits and pieces of the mythos, but is most important in the Dream Cycle.

In one story, he gives a statement to the police about what happened to his friend who investigated some hoary tomb.

Later, in the Dream Cycle, we find out he was one of the few friends of Pickman, a character described in another story (and Randolph may or may not be the narrator of that one - been a while since I read it, but I kind of doubt Carter is the narrator).

We also discover, in another story, that Carter is replaced for a time by a member of the Great Race.

I agree that the Mythos isn't a canon (Lovecraft never considered it to be one, and I personally think "canon" is the death of creativity), but there are threads moving through it showing that there are connections between all of these stories.

More than once, the protagonists of the Dunwich Horror are referred to by the narrators or other characters in various stories, and occasionally (but less frequently) the events of the Colour Out of Space.
>>
>>49636076
Like Demonbane?
>>
>>49636076

I'm going to point out that Lovecraft didn't care. He actively encouraged writers of his time to steal liberally from his stories to make their own. His letters and encouragements are a far greater legacy than his stories. A lot of up and coming authors got their feet wet by borrowing Lovecraft's themes, or their superficial accoutrements.
>>
>>49636116
You're confusing recurring characters for recurring themes and moods.

When Lovecraft mentions his "mythology" he does so to evoke a mood, not to make a connection.

Cats of Ulthar is very Dream Cycle, yet still refers to concepts like The Elder Sign to denote a people wrapped in long dead mysticism, not to imply that if Cthulhu killed a cat in Ulthar he would get nommed in a feline feeding frenzy.

At least, that's what Lovecraft claimed in his letters. I suspect he referenced older human characters as moods, just as he did older monsters.
>>
>>49636184
Yes, but that doesn't alter the fact that a lot of Lovecraft spin offs are poor.
>>
>>49636187

So the Randolph Carter who knows Pickman-the-ghoul is not the Randolph carter who gave his statement to the police, and Pickman-the-ghoul is not the Pickman from Pickman's model?
>>
>>49636184
I mean he was pretty much riding the coattails of Edgar Allan Poe himself.
>>
>>49631434
a pretty black comedy though
>>
>>49636151
Demonbane is literally an eroge, I don't get why people take it so seriously
>>
>>49636253
>he doesn't take his siamese fapping games seriously
>>
>>49636207

I'm not saying they aren't. There's plenty of "Lovecraftian" shit that gets published today that's absolute garbage and takes the most superficial reading of his works and gives the mouthbreathers who start this threads their ammunition.

Chaosium.

>>49636217

I think you're reaching a bit here, but reach away.
>>
>>49636208
Maybe. Just like Lovecraft claimed Azathoth doesn't always refer to the same Azathoth, but the mood it evokes.
>>
>>49636287

To be honest, I'm fine with that. It's natural for humans to see concrete connections where there aren't any.

I don't advocate for a canon for Lovecraft. I think (as I said before) that canon is the death of creativity, a straight-jacket for strangling mood and theme with details of minutiae.
>>
>>49635935
To note, the King in Yellow of True Detective shares only the most basic cosmic themes with the King in Yellow from the book. The portrayal in the show is far closer to a Narly or Shubb Niggurath cult.

Personally I suspect they used it only because fewer people are familiar with the KiY, it's much further out of copyright/establishment, or an earlier draft may have played to the more vengeful god/lineage themes.
>>
The most popular Lovecraftian horror on /tg/ is the Chaos gods

characters that no one actually seen but their presence is always known, Don't really give a damn about the war in the world but whose playing around causes everything to be fucked up, has worshipers but the gods don't really care about them most of the time said worshipers don't even know whether they please or displease them, and no one can get rid of them they can just hold them at bey.
>>
>>49632239
This.
Part of the horror in Lovecraft, a large part of it, comes from meaningness and insignificance.
Having never read one of Lovecraft's copycats, critics or deconstructors, but just the original books, I can say that in Lovecraft's world existence itself is the main source of horror. The vision artists and writers have of Lovecraft's books is a lot of times completely false and based on copies of copies. It's not even the opposite of what they think it is, it's simply unrelated. Like taking a scroll from the Dead Sea and comparing it to a modern Bible, written in a foreign language.

In fact, the Bible itself is the only other book I'd consider calling Lovecraftian, though I won't for all the obvious reasons.
>>
File: pulse like a cancer.jpg (189KB, 1033x765px) Image search: [Google]
pulse like a cancer.jpg
189KB, 1033x765px
>>49636253
because it wants to be a Lovecraftian eroge

and its pure radioactive waste tier on every perspective
>>
File: tp508.jpg (148KB, 869x1276px) Image search: [Google]
tp508.jpg
148KB, 869x1276px
>>49636865
>because it wants to be a Lovecraftian eroge
No it doesn't. It's cheesy giant robot fun. It uses elements of Lovecraft's universe (i.e. outer gods, great old ones et al.) but it is decidedly not Lovecraftian.
It really isn't that bad, even if it has Azathoth dreaming that she's a cute japanese schoolgirl.
>>
>>49631005
What's this from? I read a short story a while ago about a guy who goes into the dream and a city where strange humanoids appear starting to sell red emeralds to people and then taking them away over the ocean. This isn't Lovecraft though right? It's post Lovecraft mythos?

Tldr sauce?
>>
>>49636907
how would you call this kind of massacre then?
"reconstruction"? "parody"? Does "taking enjoyable medias and turning it into thrash" have a proper name?
I dislike demonbane btw
>>
>>49636949
not OP but its a fanmade map of the Dream Cycle of H.P Lovecraft. Dream Quest and all
>>
>>49636964
Homage. Allusion. Dedication. Perhaps remix, or cover.
Borrowing.
Honestly, it's less disrespectful than you think.
But I won't even attempt to change your mind since you're already concluded in thinking that stirring hopeful elements to Lovecraft is an insult or degradation.
>>
>>49636208
Yes and no, I would say. They're probably the same character, but that doesn't necessarily mean that both stories must have happened.

I think the best comparison to the way "canon" works in "Cthulhu Mythos" is, oddly enough, Donald Duck comics (there's surely better examples, but I read a lot of those comics as a kid, and they're simple enough that it makes a good example).

Donal Duck obviously appears in all the comic, and he's got the same basic personality traits regardless of who'se writing. There's also lots of other recurrign characters, most of who were created over a long time by different writers and then used by other writers in their stories (which sometimes led to the character's design and personality changing a lto over time, until finally solidifying when you've reach a kind of consensus among independent writers on how the character should look and act). Sometimes you've got characters who were used only once by their creator, but some other writer picked them up and repeatedly used them.
However, even if all the stories have Donald in them, as well as a lot of other recurring characters, you can't really construct a coherent "Donald Duck canon". Too many stories contradict each other (Donald's been fired from his job or forced to flee the town for fucking something up a million times by now, yet it never has consequences that last beyond one story), and too many details change between story (like Donald nearly always has an asshole neighbour, but his name and appearance change between stories, and certain characters may or may not exist depending on the writer).

The point is, you can't make a "Donald Duck canon", but you could make a "Donald Duck mythos" by listing the recurring characters and details that show up in the stories (ie. Donald has three nephews, his uncle is the richest person in the world, his car's license number is 313...).

Also, I'm reminded I really should scan and translate the Call of Cthulhu Donald story.
>>
File: solu sheet.png (143KB, 395x640px) Image search: [Google]
solu sheet.png
143KB, 395x640px
>>49637020
I don't. I enjoyed them in the Overlord novel and in some anime like Game of Laplace.The difference is, in demonbane it's turned into waifubait shit and cheesy mechas instead of cleaver references/well integrated elements
>>
>>49635174
So I virtue signaled for the express purpouse of NOT belonging to a group?
I don't think you can into language. Also, deranged attempt at tu quoque.
>>49635284
No. You don't get it. If nobody ever agreed with me, naturally or otherwise, I'd still say the same shit.
It's the difference between preferring truth value to societal value and the opposite.
The Truth is Lovercraft revolutioned Sci Fi and Fantasy. Anyone knowing the facts and the times KNOWS this.
Notice: I'm not saying agrees to this or believes this. It's a fact of the history of genre fiction.
You can of course not like Lovercraft, since this is a matter of personal taste. You can't call him a talentless hack without either not knowing the facts and the history of pulp literature or purpousedly ignoring them.
You're going to do it, because the Hive Mind tells you so and saying that black is white, war is peace etc fills you with sexual satisfation not unlike that of a girl who's into bondage when her Master tells her to say she's a bitch and a cumguzzling whore. It's not that she actually is that, it's that saying it demonstrates her loyalty to Master and gets her all wet.
>>
File: 7-1.jpg (92KB, 1023x614px) Image search: [Google]
7-1.jpg
92KB, 1023x614px
>>49637020
>>49637080
Sadly, i have no examples of a good direct animu/mango interpretation of the Cthulhu Mythos similar to what demonbane did because there is none. If you can prove me wrong i'll honestly thank you.
Soul Eater was Okay but again not a direct interpretation like demonbane was
>>
>>49637080
>I enjoyed them in the Overlord novel
They're just names for classes and spells in Overlord. Overlord has no actual Lovecraft elements. Can't comment on Game of Laplace.
>The difference is, in demonbane it's turned into waifubait shit and cheesy mechas instead of cleaver references/well integrated elements
The elements are perfectly well integrated. Azathoth, Yog-Sothoth, and Nyarlathotep all serve their outer god mantles properly. Effectively the Demonbane mecha is an artificial Great Old One that is used to challenge the other Great Old Ones. Nothing about it is particularly heinous.
>>
>>49637162
Azathoth was sealed into the Trapezohedron
Al Azif is the necronomicon, and a loli
ect, you get my point. There is too much unnamable heresy that ruined it for me. Also see >>49637148
>>
>>49637118
No, dumbass. You virtue-signaled for the express purpose of belonging to a group - the reactionary morass that thinks they're the Real Murrica.
>>
>>49637148
>Soul Eater was Okay
I thought it had some potential. The death-gods vs witches war was interesting as they just wanted immortality. Placing the story in the aftermath with the losing side trying for asymetrical warfare, it's easy to paint them as bad guys. Throwing in a traitorous god of insanity is a good BBEG. It makes it all the more viable as he used to be just like all the main characters.

But the show was shit because while it might have had a decent setting and a good plot, it was scripted for 8-12 year old retarded children. Sadly it failed to take itself seriously enough and had to throw in the mandatory gag reel and echi shots.

And the guy who held his guns upside down. Ugh.
>>
File: RELAX NIGGA.gif (997KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
RELAX NIGGA.gif
997KB, 500x700px
>>49637205
>Azathoth was sealed into the Trapezohedron
Azathoth is asleep and generally nonsentient. It doesn't really have the ability to care about what cradle it's sleeping in.
>Al Azif is the necronomicon, and a loli
That's just how it works. You take offense to something so minor? That's just how japanese media works. There are sexual lolis around.
Al Azif still is a grimoire of ancient and forbidden knowledge. Just with a loli shape.
>>
Lovecraft was a fucking hack, he basically plagiarized the concept of Cosmic Horror from Robert W. Chambers and William Hope Hodgson and his Dreamlands tales are nothing but Lord Dunsany's fan fiction.
>>
>>49631026
>>49631031
You were ninja'd by >>49631023.
>>
File: kishin_eyes_by_Maidaligra (1).png (478KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
kishin_eyes_by_Maidaligra (1).png
478KB, 900x900px
>>49637210
Even if they pushed his "muh symmetry xd" jokes too much at the start, Kid had okay Chara development

Ashura saved anime

>But the show was shit because while it might have had a decent setting and a good plot, it was scripted for 8-12 year old retarded children.
I wholefully agree
>sadly it failed to take itself seriously enough and had to throw in the mandatory gag reel and echi shots.
i was more annoyed by the whole concept of the self insert mc for"nerdy girls" that "liek books xd" and the walking cynical teen angst, although Soul calmed down.
Chrona, Medusa, Justin, Noah and all the other villains tend to have few "faces", but in that way they where all unique and well constructed, they are still the best shonen villain i saw desu
>>
>>49637207
But I'm european you dumbass!
>>
File: not sasuga.jpg (161KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
not sasuga.jpg
161KB, 1000x800px
>>49637232
>It doesn't really have the ability to care about what cradle it's sleeping in.

He is still the most powerful entity of existence, even Yog Sothoth can't manage to seal him totally. Also the trapezohedron's original function is totally forgotten

>Al Azif still is a grimoire of ancient and forbidden knowledge. Just with a loli shape

sorry but i consider this desacralization regardless of how autistic it may sound, forbidden knowledge shouldn't be fap material
>>
File: sophisticated-humor.jpg (177KB, 1170x842px) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated-humor.jpg
177KB, 1170x842px
>>49636500
>In fact, the Bible itself is the only other book I'd consider calling Lovecraftian
What makes you think this? The Abrahamic God is infinitely greater than humanity and claims absolute dominion over humanity, but unlike all of the Lovecraftian gods, it's undeniable that he actually cares about humanity. Even if we interpret his actions as dickish and abusive, even if we say that he doesn't deserve worship, he actually pays attention to humanity and attempts to give purpose to humans' existence by being their God. The Bible even exalts humans, saying that they are "made in God's image". It even says that ascended humans are literally gods themselves (lowercase g).

Lovecraft is about gods that are barely aware of humanity's meaningless existence. The Bible is about a God who tries to give meaning to humanity's existence.
>>
>>49637378
>He is still the most powerful entity of existence, even Yog Sothoth can't manage to seal him totally.
Azathoth probably wouldn't be sealed if it chose not to be sealed, but Azathoth isn't in a position to choose anything. Its power counts for nothing at all, because it has no capacity for awareness or enacting its limitless power in any coherent way. This is as true to Lovecraft as it gets.
>Also the trapezohedron's original function is totally forgotten
Is that really a dealbreaker?
>>
Demonbane has fucking Dr. West in it , you shouldn't take it seriously
>>
>>49637561
>Azathoth probably wouldn't be sealed if it chose not to be sealed, but Azathoth isn't in a position to choose anything.
It's like saying "if gravity cannot choose to be sealed or not, it can be sealed".
Yog Sothoth himself cannot seal him, thus nobody should be able to
>>
File: west comic.jpg (71KB, 586x917px) Image search: [Google]
west comic.jpg
71KB, 586x917px
>>49637617
wasted potential
>>
>>49637440
This. But your also forgetting the most important part, the afterlife.

Cosmic horror is all about the idea that there's nothing for us on the other side that's any good. If it's not infinite nothingness it's something far far worse, like being reaped by ancient galactic entities.

Abrahamic religion promises us a fuzzy warm end, at least if we work towards it. Hell exists but even that is rather well defined (infinite punishment) compared to the terrifying aspects of cosmic horror "afterlife".

The only thing slightly cosmic horror is the idea that in OG Judaism, the first words god speaks are "And so I am god" where he acknowledges his own existence. A voice from the void replies "no you are not, Samuel" (samael means "blind god"), this being the folly of Jehovah, acknowledging his own lordship . The terrifying part is we don't know nor do the scriptures reference what the fuck that voice was.

Interesting stuff to say the least.
>>
>>49637636
Doesn't quite follow. In any case, the thing that made the shining trapezohedron in Demonbane has a greater reach than Yog-Sothoth. Yog-Sothoth is as much a part of the dream as anything else, so of course it can't really affect the dreamer all that much.
The existence of something outside the dream of Azathoth may itself be "sacrilegious" but it's just a different author writing a different story with the same devices. Again, it's not "Lovecraftian" in essence.
>>
>>49631005
I blame Call of Cthulhu for this. It's the work where humanity actually temporarily destroys the physical form of one of Lovecraft's entities, so people see that and go Humanity Fuck Yeah! We can beat the Elder Gods! They're just big squidgy things that make you go crazy! So we leave cosmic horror and go into regular horror.
>>
>Thread finally moves past bullshit and starts to get interesting and discussion occurs.
>Thread dies
Nice 3chap
>>
File: nigger eggs.jpg (63KB, 879x271px) Image search: [Google]
nigger eggs.jpg
63KB, 879x271px
>>49630978
>>
>>49637822
I'm not the guy you were replying to, but would you happen to have source for that last bit? I'm rather intrigued
>>
>>49638186
did we just kickstarted a lovecraft thread by trashtalking anime
>>
>>49634392
>Shadow Over Innsmouth is proof that Lovecraft hates black people

Everybody who makes this argument seems to forget that the race Lovecraft is allegedly using as an analogue for blacks is immortal, extremely advanced compared to humans and very wealthy. It seems like an odd stance to take for someone who thinks that black people are inferior. Lovecraft's letters revealed his racist tendencies but if we're gonna base the man's opinions on black people from this story he almost comes across as a "WE WUZ KANGZ" type.
>>
>>49639419
Really, Shadows Over Innsmouth is probably only related to black people in a very circumstituous way.

The thing about Lovecraft is that both of his parents were committed to mental hospital, which left him with a lingering fear that madness ran in his family and he'd go crazy as well. That's a big reason for the themes of corruption and degradation that are very prelevant in his writing.

The basic plot of "Shadows" features the protagonist discovering a corrupting influence in the town of Innsmouth, whcih taints the bloodlines of the inhabitants, and the big reveal at the end is him discovering he is suffering from the same affliction as well. The origin of the story is probably less about Lovecraft writing about black people and more about him channeling his fear over suffering from a hereditiary affliction himself.

The connection to balck people, if it is there at all, would only come from the fact that he decided to make the corruption be result of the people mixing their bloodlines with non-human beings, which could be metaphor for him expressing his distaste over the idea of race-mixing, or more broadly, related to his belief that any foreign influence on English culture was detrimental (which was really what Lovecraft's racism was all about: it was less to do with one race being biologically superior, and more with English culture being the best culture and any foreign influence would only make it less English and therefore less good; this is again something that influences the themes in lot of his stories).
>>
>>49639589
We should honestly make this post the default OP pic for any thread about Lovecraft.
>>
>>49639419
>>49639589
The protagonist of "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family" also freaks out over his ancestry...but if you interpret his great-great-great grandmother as a black woman, you're probably more racist than Lovecraft.
>>
>>49639419
>immortal, extremely advanced compared to humans and very wealthy
Yeah, in Derleth's work.
>>
>>49640823
In "Shadows" it was already mentioned that the deep ones don't die out of old age, and considering they traded gold and jewelry to the humans, I'd say they're quite wealthy as well. Certainly more than the inhabitants of a podunk fishing village.

They didn't seem particularly advanced, though, beyond maybe having a better understanding of the true nature of the universe (and even that's kind of iffy; they know Cthulhu is a thing, what's with him sleeping on their turf, but no idea whether they're aware of the real movers and shakers in the cosmos).
>>
>>49640907
>and considering they traded gold and jewelry to the humans
Which they probably pilfered from shipwrecks.
>>
>>49630940
Cthulhu is overused to death, tentacle monster = crazy times have been used to death.

Genuine cosmic horror and existential loathing have not though and are RARELY used in their prime, in all forms of media other then literature they love to show the monster and give the reveal but it's always better when you never know what the real monster is.
>>
>>49636949
That is Lovecraft. Though you apparently didn't read the whole thing. That's Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath. His most explicitly fantasy work.
>>
>>49640924
It's been a while since I read Shadows but I think I remember the gold they traded being of some sort of strange design Marsh had never seen before. Even if the gold itself was pilfered the Deep Ones still seem to have found a way to reshape it.
>>
>>49634392

It literally wasn't. Many US states and countries (including Sweden) practiced forced sterilization for the purposes of eugenics (I.e. Sterilizing alcoholics so they wouldn't sire alcoholic children). Fear and loathing inspired by the idea of hereditary degeneracy was widespread. Margaret Sanger was a eugenicist who believed that blacks should be exterminated. This view was within the realm of mainstream politics in the 20s and 30s.

Lovecraft just hated foreigners pretty much (Catholic irish, poles, and Italians just as much as jews and orientals) and saw "mongrelization" as repugnant, and his views on race (though /pol/-tier by 21st century standards) were fairly tame for his time and place.

As a yankee lovecraft didn't have much personal experience with blacks and this is probably why he didn't have much to say about them.

His friend and correspondent Robert Howard, as a southerner, had more contact with blacks, and therefore wrote about them much more than lovecraft did. He felt no need to cloak his commentary on blacks with metaphore either, nor would any of his peers in the pulp fiction genre, whom 21st century commentators do not discuss because their work did not have the quality required for anyone to care about it 90 years later.

Further, Lovecraft explicitly states that the tainted blood was brought to innsmouth by the importation of Polynesian wives. An odd choice if the intent was a veiled wink at American blacks.
>>
>>49632384
>We can keep on distracting ourselves and turning the faces of said Cosmic Horror into pop culture plushies, but it doesn't change the face that we're just waiting for someone else to come along and ask the same uncomfortable questions.

Dude, no. Most people just don't find those "uncomfortable questions" to be remotely uncomfortable. The average response to human significance in the current age is "meh." People who wallow in existential angst can never seem to wrap their heads around this and keep insisting that anyone who isn't horrified by human insignificance is in denial. The reason most people avoid thinking about the meaninglessness of existence is not because it's too horrifying for us to grapple with. It's because it's uninteresting. We don't give a shit.
>>
>>49640924

How many gold-laden ships went down off the coast of New England?
>>
File: nilhism.jpg (104KB, 576x747px) Image search: [Google]
nilhism.jpg
104KB, 576x747px
>>49641127
>Dude, no. Most people just don't find those "uncomfortable questions" to be remotely uncomfortable. The average response to human significance in the current age is "meh."
This, except it's not limited to modern man. A lot of philosophy concerned with things like free will usually opens with a resounding "meh" to the sorts of questions people would ask in threads like this that are supposed to be so uncomfortable.

Like, it's not things like "do we have no free will" or "does life have no meaning", it's always been "if things are deterministic, is it necessarily predictable or are there genuinely random elements" and "if nothing has intrinsic meaning, who has the right to impose meaning"
>>
>>49635251
I want that dog to sit on my feet during the winter to keep my feet warm.
That always feels nice
>>
>>49634241
>We're orphans in a universe teeming with life forms that have purpose and meaning in their lives.
Okay. And?

Is this supposed to horrify me? If anything, it's liberating -- not having inbuilt purpose means I can fill my schedule with whatever I damn well please.
>>
>>49635935
Firstly, The King in Yellow was written by Chambers. Secondly, True Detective has no supernatural elements. The references to The King in Yellow only exist to show how the murderer is insane and are not meant to imply that the King is actually part of the show's lore.
>>
>>49631959
JUST BANE MY DAMAGED ZOD'S VIETNAM FUCKING SNAPPED NECK GABAGOOL IT'S TREASON THEN UP MARTHA
What did he mean by this?
The deepest pits of the Warp>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/tv/
>>
>>49634241
That just makes humans sound way more awesome than anything else.
>>
File: frank_frazetta_thebarbarian.jpg (522KB, 892x1200px) Image search: [Google]
frank_frazetta_thebarbarian.jpg
522KB, 892x1200px
People tend to forget that the Lovecraft mythos is connected to Robert E. Howard's Conan universe.
>>
>>49641306
>Secondly, True Detective has no supernatural elements.

That's highly debatable.
>>
>>49641244
>Is this supposed to horrify me?
Lovecraft is around ninety years outside of when you should be reading it. now it all seems fairly prosaic given our astronomical knowledge and our consumption of that kind of fiction.

Same as non-Euclidian geometry; you've watched enough fiction with it in that you probably wouldn't immediately freak out if you saw it because you'd have a frame of reference.

For a modern example of what Lovecraft was getting at; remember that theory that we're all in a computer simulation? It's got a fair amount of 'evidence' for it but it's all philosophical logic chains or supposition based on findings. Well, imagine if we found out it was true. Just take a minute to imagine what would happen to people's sanity, their life goals, religion and science if we discovered we weren't real. That we were just experimental toys of beings so far up the chain that we could never understand them and could never even really meet them because our existence was a simulation. And I don't mean immediately say you wouldn't care, really imagine for ten minutes that it had turned out to be true.
>>
File: EscherOmhoogOmlaag.jpg (148KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
EscherOmhoogOmlaag.jpg
148KB, 1024x768px
>>49641603
I don't know, I've seen a whole bunch of pictures like this over the years, but I actually saw something like this in real life I'd probably freak out a little.
>>
>>49641715
You'd almost certainly feel sick from trying to work it out with your eyes, your brain models your surroundings based on what you see and feeds that model back so showing it stuff that doesn't make sense, particularly in full immersion, is disorienting.

You'd almost certainly find the implications disturbing as well, I doubt it'd break your sanity though as you'd understand roughly what was going on at an intellectual level.
>>
>>49641603
>And I don't mean immediately say you wouldn't care, really imagine for ten minutes that it had turned out to be true.

I wouldn't care. If I'm part of the simulation then it's real to me.
It might even be life affirming, as presumably the simulation is being run for a reason and so everything isn't just meaningless amalgamations of space dust.
>>
>>49641603
And no difference is made.

I'm still going to drink this simulation cup of teas because I'm simulation thirsty and in danger of depleting my simulation store of Britishness. Yes we have shit to worry about like the next cosmic widows update and some one pulling the plug. You know what else we have to watch out for? The next super nova in a nearby star flashing the Earth in radiation. Likelihood of survival is about the same and it is just as impersonal.
>>
>>49641772
People actually going insane from seeing things like that are a Derleth thing. In Lovecraft's stories the people were disturbed and/or intrigued.
>>
>>49641715
>>49641772
Just as well, if you'd grown up knowing nothing but weird geometry like that, regular geometry would seem alien.
>>
>>49641854
Yeah, people usually go insane because of other causes along with seeing shit. Exposure, fear for their life, or actual magical influence on their mind.
>>
>>49641433
No. The only things that can be said to point towards something supernatural were Cole's hallucinations and the theatrics behind the King in Yellow. The latter is obviously not supernatural, and the second are nothing but the insane ramblings of a disturbed mind.

In a way, though, I have to say that the show did succeed as a cosmic horror story, because it proved that so many viewers would rather make up some supernatural explanation in their heads that face an entirely nihilistic and uncaring universe. That is pretty Lovecraftian.
>>
>>49637070
>Call of Cthulhu Donald story.
You really should. Where was this published?
>>
>>49642068
>he only things that can be said to point towards something supernatural were Cole's hallucinations and the theatrics behind the King in Yellow.

Yes, but those hallucinations were central to the plot, in at least one case directing Cole where to go, and thus suggesting they were more than just hallucinations.
You can't just blithely declare that there was nothing supernatural about it. Whether there was anything supernatural going on or not in True Detective was hotly debated, precisely because the writers made it deliberately unclear.
Then they did season two where they just made everything unclear
>>
>>49641306
>>49641433
>>49642068
>>49642580
You both convinced me to watch True Detective, if it's any solace to either
>>
>>49642667

It really is excellent. Don't bother with season two, though. The best description I've heard of S2 was "a scooby doo episode written while on acid." Lots of silly knees-bent running about advancing-type behavior, and a lot of surprise reveals that were stupid.
The ending to S1 left me blown away, the ending to S2 left me saying "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT SHIT."
>>
>>49641603

The only difference this makes is that I am now somewhat concerned about the universe getting deleted, and also a bit resentful that people could've made a better universe for me and actively chose not to, rather than space dust just happening to have come out this way with no one imposing any boundary conditions at all. None of it is horrifying.

Now, fair enough, a lot of people *would* flip out, but most of them would get over it in a few weeks, tops. The universe would be revealed to be a simulation, and then...well, life would go on, and they'd realize it doesn't actually make a difference at all, and they'd all start pretending to be the sort of person who was never bothered by it in the first place.
>>
>>49642758
The ending of season 2 actually fit the tone of the series as a whole really well. There's no answers, no closure, no comfort.
>>
>>49642580
Pizzolatto stated in interviews that the hints about the King in Yellow were only ever intended to give the show some color. It was never meant to be the driving force behind it.

>There's never been anything I didn't love that I didn't connect with on a personal level because to some degree, I projected upon it. That said, I think I've made clear that my only interest in the Chambers stuff (Robert W. Chambers wrote "The King in Yellow") is as a story that has a place in American myth. And it's a story about a story that drives people into madness. That was mainly it. Beyond that, I'm interested in the atmosphere of cosmic horror, but that's about all I have to say about weird fiction. I did feel the perception was tilted more towards weird fiction than perhaps it should have been. For instance, if someone needs a book to read along with season 1 of "True Detective," I would recommend the King James Old Testament. I wouldn't tell anyone to go buy Robert Chambers. It's not that great a book. Joseph Conrad and William Faulkner I think are in there far more than Chambers or Lovecraft.
>>
>>49642928

It felt like one big dumb shaggy dog story that all went nowhere fast. Ray's self-sacrificing death felt alright, but Frank's whole death storyline was retarded from start to finish and felt like an arbitrary "fuck you" to his whole character. Why would a career criminal who's on his way to escaping the country with a load of cash and valuables not leave some space between himself and the car in front and cock his wheels so he can pull out and drive away from the ensuing ambush? He just let himself get caught. And why were the mexican mafia such a bunch of brainless one-dimensional stereotype assholes anyway? It felt like a badly written railroad full of plot holes and shit.
>>
>>49643007

I wouldn't say it was a driving force, but either it's deliberately ambiguous whether Cole's visions were messages from beyond or just garden variety hallucinations, or the writers fucked up.
Given S2, I can get behind the latter explanation, but I'd like to believe the former.
>>
>>49641803
>>49641794
It would be the literal single biggest discovery in human history

People would be killing themselves or otherwise giving up on life left and right.
>>
>>49641715
>>49641900
>>49641772
You now get to live with the fact this was used on film in the Original British Avengers (not the comic book heroes) movie.
>>
>>49643069
>People would be killing themselves or otherwise giving up on life left and right.

Why?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zUEkFl6a84
>>
>hurrr shadow over innsmouth is about madness
lovecraft also had a freakout when he discovered he was part welsh AND he hated the idea of miscegenation. it's not merely a coincidence that fishmen are race-mixing degenerates
>>
>>49643107
Maybe in some hypothetical fantasy land people would just go "huh, so we aren't real, shit happens", but most are not even near that impassible. Even most of the people who are 100% sure they wouldn't care would be freaking the fuck out for weeks

Being able to entertain a hypothetical scenario is different from it actually happening
>>
>>49643221
Shadow over innsmouth was written BECAUSE he discovered he was part welsh
>>
>>49643243

>my hypothetical can beat up your hypothetical

You're weird. I wouldn't kill myself, I'd shrug and go "huh" and carry on doing what I've been doing, same as ever. I asked why, because I hoped you'd have a reason other than "you just WOULD okay?"
>>
>>49630979
I'm gonna write a story with an elder god that takes the form of a really fat little dog.
>>
>>49634368
So we can thank Disney bending copyright law over and making it their bitch for every hack writer lifting from Lovecraft?
>>
>>49643274
I am telling you you most definitely aren't an unphasable badass who wouldn't care about the basic nature of the universe being openly revealed, even if you think you are
>>
>>49643274
It would be the biggest media shitstorm of the fucking millenium. It would call for all organized religions to take an stance upon it immediately. It would be the most hotly debated discovery on the history of science. You literally couldn't hear anything but "THE WORLD ISN'T REAL" on every fucking news channel, website or newspaper for weeks. You most likely would discuss it with acquaintances, over and over and over and over. People would take more of an interest in philosophy than ever before and all forms of art would be indelibly changed for as long as people remember that the world is not real.

But I'm sure you're a stoic badass who doesn't care about anything
>>
>>49643327
>>49643414
If it doesn't affect people's daily lives, they'll care about it for a week before moving back to celebrity gossip news or the middle east or whatever.
>>
>>49643444
Anon, people have been uncapable of shutting up about the fucking american presidential election for the past year and a half, and the way things are panning out they'll keep discussing for several months more despite of who wins
>>
>>49643465
>If it doesn't affect people's daily lives
Americans sure as hell think who the President is has a major direct impact on their daily lives. Have you seen all the people threatening to move to Canada if Trump (or Clinton, for the other half) wins?
>>
>>49643493
That happens EVERY election and they never do it.
>>
>>49643493
Anon, you're seriously, grossly understimating just how much money news agencies could get out of that event

Minor and actually completely irrelevant scientific discoveries get on the news all the time. "The universe is a simulation" is the ONE THING you don't need to hype, exaggerate or distort at all for it to sell like hot bread

You also understimate how powerful philosophy is
>>
>>49641603
I've been convinced the universe is a program for quite some time now, faggot. Unlike your popsci ass I actually researched this subsection of physics, and honestly everything is just too finely tuned to permit the existence of atoms and molecules in a relatively stable time period.
(You know if the proton were 2% lighter stars would burn themselves out in hours? And if it were 1% heavier stars would not even form?)
>>49643243
Learn to cogito ergo sum. You have to be real even if your reality is just an executed subroutine. You are those lines of code. It's you.
>>
>tfw no one remembers Arthur Machen

'The Great God Pan', 'The White People', and 'The Three Imposters' are lovecraftian as fuck before Lovecraft was even writing.
>>
>>49643414

I'm a stoic, yeah. But finding out that the universe is a simulation literally doesn't change anything for me, at all. The noodles I'm eating right now will still taste the same whether they're "real" or "simulated."
The idea that reality might not be real is older than Plato, and I've known all the arguments around it for decades, and in the end, it makes absolutely no difference to me.
Some people might freak out, like when 9/11 happened and a lot of people sat around watching the news all day and being paranoid, but most people will just move on.
>>
>>49643753
>what is the anthropic principle
>>
>>49643801
Yes, I know. Obviously if the universe were incapable of sustaining life then life wouldn't occur to observe it. However, the question is thus raised as to how probable would it be for a universe capable of sustaining life to form.
And the answer is that it seems to be an extremely fine boundary we landed our asses in.
>>
>>49643753
>everything is just too finely tuned
That's a logical fallacy. Everything appears finely tuned because everything has to be tuned that specific way for the universe to not only be stable but also be able to sustain life as we know it in the first place. Since we are here to observe it, of course it will appear to be fit perfectly together. If it were any other way we couldn't be here to make those observations.
>>
>>49643847
It's a matter of probability you goofball.
>>
>>49643780
Individual people moving on just plain is not ever enough for a culture to forget a major event

As per your example: Few people are actively outraged about 9/11 anymore, but it has shaped a good chunk of the United States' recent history and politics. In fact, a bill letting people sue Saudi Arabia for 9/11 was passed just a few days ago
>>
>>49643843
There's nothing to say that our universe was the first created in the supposed nothingness that preceaded it. If we assume that universes are constantly born with different rules all the time, and that most of them also disspate almost instantly due to instability, then it's just a matter of probability that one like ours would eventually be born.
>>
>>49643881
There is no goddamn "before" the big bang you fuck
Time does not work that way
>>
>>49643843
This is circular thinking
>>
>>49643944
That too. It doesn't matter how improbable it is. That improbability would have had to occured regardless of wether the reality is a simulation running in another reality or not.
>>
>>49643944
Now you're just using that meaninglessly.
It is improbable. Yes, it happened nevertheless. No, we have no bayesian evidence as to whether we just got really, really, really, really lucky or are the product of artifice. But you're taking the wrong thing away from it if you believe that's the only reason to implicate a simulated universe.
>>
>>49643871

Yes, but that's a lot different from "OMG you'll all kill yourselves."

How many people killed themselves after 9/11, a time when people were legit scared and the atmosphere was "holy shit they're going to kill us all?" And how many do you think it would be if the news was "well, that's weird!"

>>49643890

You should talk to more physicists. Quite a few of them think our kind of time emerged from a previous state of "imaginary time" which is... well, very very weird.

>>49643944

It's just pointing out the obvious. Pointing out that the universe is just right for us to be here noticing that it was just right is kind of like seeing a puddle of water and going "Holy shit, how did the water know what shape the hole was and shape itself to fit?!"
>>
>>49644047
>imaginary time

What the fuck is that.
>>
>>49644047
>Pointing out that the universe is just right for us to be here
That's not what I'm saying at all to begin with. I'm saying the universe is tuned in a way that seems optimized to run for a programmer and still run. I never touched the subject of life and humans, I was talking about matter existing vs. matter not existing.
>>
>>49643327

You don't have to be an unphasable badass to not care about something that has no discernible impact on your life whatsoever. That is, in fact, the default, and a lot of the most dangerous things in the world are dangerous specifically because they require lots of effort to counter and yet go from "everything is fine" to "everything is dead" in too short a time for that effort to be brought to bear, which means people have to care about it before it has a direct impact on their lives, and most people don't do that. Human irrationality functions in exactly the opposite way you're claiming it does. "Reality is a simulation" is in fact a news story that has already broken. That was an actual article that popsci magazines and websites actually published about how evidence has been found that the universe is a hologram, therefore we're artificial. Like all popsci articles, it's a shitload of exaggeration, but most people don't know the difference. The article dropped, and it made such a little splash that you don't even remember it, and possibly never even saw it.
>>
>>49644047
Not just "well, that's weird". Literally every single major news outslet hollering at you the universe is not real, followed by the heads of organized religions making official statements about the universe not being real, then every science channel or scientist celebrity scrambling to be the first to explain it to the layman. Stand-up acts, books, TV specials, references on otherwise unrelated media for years to come

There was a major media freakout for a good week or so when the higgs boson was discovered despite the average person not having any fucking idea what either higgs or a boson was. Now the concept is common knowledge
>>
>>49644175
>universe is not real
It'd be "artificial", not "not real", you silly-billy.
A fabricated universe is just as real as your computer is.
>>
>>49630940
Actually, the worst setting is your favourite.
>>
>>49634241
aren't we Shub-Niggurath's, though?
>>
>>49644162
The problem is that it was bullshit and everyone knew it was bullshit, so it didn't even pass the media's spectacularly low standards and never got anywhere but popsci maganizes and websites

We're talking about it being confirmed by trustworthy sources and widely publicized
>>
>>49631100
>Reddit and Memey
You know where to return to
>>
>>49644294
Not really.
Humans, like most life forms on earth, are just sort of an accident since the elder things forgot to turn Ubbo-Sathla off. Ubbo-Sathla creates new life from itself at random.
>>
>>49644073

That's a damn good question. As near as I can figure (I'm not a physicist, though I play one on the internet!) it's a kind of quasi-time state where cause and effect don't hold and events happen and don't happen out of sequence. Like a zone of "my brain is full of fuck."
Regular spacetime sort of folded out of this previous state. Less of a big bang, more of an enormous emergence. Which is a lot less catchy.

>>49644082

Same difference, as one is the prerequisite for the other.
>>
Only if you play it vanilla.
>>
>>49642902

You seem to be forgetting that 2000 years of superstition, said superstition which is currently driving modern Geopolitics, would be invalidated. You would have a whole continent having to contend with the fact that they've spent thousands, perhaps millions of lives on a farce. The world would, well, imagine if half the human population suddenly became obsolete and no longer desirable to keep around overnight, and that the moral restraints to keeping them around no longer exist.
>>
>>49644301
>The problem is that it was bullshit and everyone knew it was bullshit,

Holy shit, you mean the entire population of the world became capable of discerning bullshit from reliable sources? And then, I guess, immediately lost that ability? No, it didn't make a splash because the only people who gave a fuck just decided not to believe it.

>>49644677

>You seem to be forgetting that 2000 years of superstition, said superstition which is currently driving modern Geopolitics, would be invalidated.

Wouldn't be the first time. Religions will adapt to the new science and claim to have always been compatible with it, same as always. I mean, fuck, proof that the universe was designed by *something* is actually a huge point in favor of most religions. Turns out God created the universe with lines of code instead of ambiguous magic? Religion won't even have a slightly difficult time adapting to that.
>>
>>49644736

Implying that ambiguous magic ISN'T manipulating a universe with external software.
>>
>>49644301
The confirmation data that reality is a simulation is the sort of self-limiting information that isn't likely to make a lot of waves.

If it truely has the astounding effect on people psyche you think then it's likely to just result in a few isolated cases of madness and inexplicable suicide by some autistic fringe physicist, which will mark those people and the information they had as 'crazy'.

Normal people then avoid taking that information in seriously because 'obviously they were crazy' and the proof stays limited to a couple of babling street people with PhDs and maybe a handful of gatekeepers who think "maybe it would be better if we keep this a secret, could be useful some day."

This isn't even considering that a programed simulation may be specifically programed to limit the true realization and congnitization of it's simulated state as widespread realization could cause instability and ruin whatever they were trying to simulate (you don't want the Dwarfs in Dwarf Fortress trying to contact you personally by building a complex lag switcher array to send 'signals' rippling through the fabric of their universe, you want them to live their pretend little fucking lives fighting monsters and drinking mead to entertain you the way your fantasy book says they should.)
>>
>>49644736
That's not even close to what I was saying, or to what I implied, or to what could be reasonable interpreted out of my post by someone who wasn't making a strawman
>>
>>49630940
No, Middle-Earth is. But anything Lovecraftian not written by Lovecraft himself is typically garbage, anyways.
>>
>>49644861

It is literally exactly what you said, and it is hyperbole to the exact same extent that your original post was hyperbole. Your argument is contingent upon the media being any good at catching bad science, and they're not.
>>
>>49644073
Google is your friend, Anon.
>>
>>49644677
>You seem to be forgetting that 2000 years of superstition, said superstition which is currently driving modern Geopolitics, would be invalidated.

Technicly, closer to 3000-4000 if you count precursor faiths like Judaism, Zoroastrianism and possibly Atenism.

As a Christian I'm gunna have to stop you right there and say that just learning I'm in a simulation wouldn't shake me up so much as you suspect. Maybe it's a regular diet of sci-fi and meta-fantasy but I've already played with the idea of God as an Author and Artist ( I think it's actually important to exploring the morality of a good creator who creates a world in which evil exists... or creates a world at all.)

Whether I'm a book on a shelf, a ship in a bottle, or a disk in a drive the concept doesn't worry me so.
>>
>>49644942
It's not. You latched into obvious hyperbole as if it was a flaw in the argument, or even a part of the fucking argument, then ignored half my post and typed up the very argument it refuted as if I had overlooked it
>>
You can always tell someone is a millennial by how stupid their questions are.
>>
>>49641603
Just to clarify, non-euclidean architecture was only used once in Lovecraft's work, for the description of R'lyeh.

Even then it's just one part of the alien quality of the place. It wasn't designed to human standards.

Imagine if the Crystals in Las Vegas was considered the norm for architecture.
>>
I think we gamers should be really honest and admit that Call of Cthulhu (the rpg) was a big, big part of the problem here.

If there is something that COC isn't, is being faithful to HPL. He never wrote a fucking detective story
>>
>>49645870
>If there is something that COC isn't, is being faithful to HPL.
Fucking this. When were there ever slutty goblins in Lovecraft's work?
>>
>>49635612
more Simon & Jed please.
>>
>>49641380
This is true, and they once wrote a story together.
>>
>>49645007

No, I latched onto the fundamental unreality of your argument. The thing you're saying would cause mass suicides already fucking happened, and the actual result is that the mainstream media couldn't even be bothered to run the story. You know why they didn't run that story? I'll give you a hint: It's not because they've suddenly developed an ability to discern bullshit science from actual science. It's because no one would care. So even if they did, for some reason, decide to run wall-to-wall coverage of the story for six weeks, the only reaction people would get is "dear God, enough of this hologram universe bullshit, get back to the election soap opera."
>>
>>49645669
>Imagine if the Crystals in Las Vegas was considered the norm for architecture.

I'd think Mr. IA 'LMO had poor taste, or more likely that it could easily be expected for 'rubble' from ancient works of a cyclopian size.
>>
>>49636253
Saya No Uta was pretty decent and if someone is twisted and fucked enough they might find eroge elements in it.
>>
I was sick of Lovecraft because "C'thulhu in my video games, C'thulhu in my cartoons, C'thulhu in my RPGs, C'thulhu in my card games, C'thulhu in advertisement, stuffed animals, anime, goddamn C'thulhu everywhere".
Then I read Lovecraft. I'm un-sick of it now.
>>49631210
>>49635612
CDW is one of my favorite stories though apparently it was considered incomplete. That kinda just makes it better. Does /tg/ have any interesting ideas about who that final summon was?
>>
>>49637885
The Dunwich Horror is more responsible for that imo. It's basically a Canon tabletop adventure in story form where a group of academics become aware of a monster in their midst, study up on how to best it from the Necronomicom and by talking to inbred locals, and proceed to hand it its ass using a combination of magic and firearms.
>>
Is that dog alright
>>
>>49647526
It's at high risk for dogabetes.
>>
>>49647526
hounds get really fat really easily
>>
>>49630940
fucking Dogscape stage 1 right there
>>
File: panic at the museum.jpg (218KB, 1272x848px) Image search: [Google]
panic at the museum.jpg
218KB, 1272x848px
>>49645913
Slutty goblins? Wut?
>>49641380
Ayup. It's possible to have Lovecraftian elements in a non-Lovecraftian setting or story.
Conan lives in a world where the only "gods" are horrible, incomprehensible beings and giant toads that eat people. He deals with this by kicking ass and getting drunk.
>>49647483
Yup. And remember that "Shadow over Innsmouth" ends with the government raiding the place and rounding up the hybrids, and the "Lurking Fear" literally has a professional monster hunter and his two goons as the protagonists. Admittedly, things go very poorly for them, but CoC *does* have a basis in Lovecraft's fiction. It's just very much taking a cool series of stories and making them a setting for a fun horror game, rather than doing a 1-1 purist adaptation of Lovecraft's fiction.
>>
>>49647812
"Corruption of Champions" is a porn text adventure type game that shares an abbreviation with "Call of Cthulhu". Among other things it has said slutty goblins.
>>
>>49630940
Lovecraftian and cosmic horror are low, low genres. They appeal to the same quality of person that is attracted to dime novels and YA fiction - the mentally immature.

The audience that might reasonably be affected by these kinds of works is necessarily mentally stunted. The entire notion that anthrocentrism is being challenged is innovative to exactly no one. Importance is relative, most things are understood to be relative by modern minds, so to say that man is insignificant in comparison to SOME BIG THING is extremely trite and juvenile. This is why this type of genre appeals to the young, because they genuinely may not know about such basic things, but for a mature audience it has about as much value as Barney the Purple Dinosaur.
>>
>>49647812
>newfag doesn't know what COC REALLY stands for
>>
>>49647899
Speaking of, why the hell aren't we making a mythos porn game proper? It would fit fine for it to be text based, and there's plenty of deviant sexy material to take from or extrapolate.
>>
>>49648078
I do and I'm so ashamed
>>
>>49631210
Well, I mean there is also some less talked about lovecraft that is less talked about for a reason. Like the fucking alchemist. "So, I figured out how to make a philosopher's stone. It is pretty great, makes me immortal and I have all the gold I could ask for. Why don't I do anything besides murder guys from this one family when they reach a certain age? What would I do? Spend some of my infinite gold on hookers and blow? Naw man, I think just murdering a guy every thirty years or so is WAY more fun."
>>
>>49648424
Hookers and Blow probably get old after a few decades. Immortals tend to develop weird hobbies.

Which makes me wonder what the dude from Cool Air had as his endgame. And why he didn't just move to Antarctica or something.
>>
>>49643243
The issue is there are some philosophise built around this idea. When you are already a solopsist, being told everything isn't real isn't near as impactfull. I would probably feel vindicated, and I could finally explain the existential dread I feel when considering such matters as intentional protection of the secret.

Huh, actually no. I would not shrug. I would feel fucking great. It would probably be like a religious experience. I could finally close that really annoying logic problem I have been thinking about for years. At the same time, I could be open about my beliefs without people shitting on them. I could say "we are all brains in vats" and they can't say "that is dumb and pointless."

Well, no I am depressed that this is never going to happen.
>>
>>49648520
Brains in vats seems wasteful, as far as we know even the illusion of our conscious could be nothing more than 1s and 0s flowing in the depths of the god machine's RAM.
>>
>>49644858
yeah... this is often what I suspect. The heavy feeling of existential dread when I consider that it is really weird that I am me... It really doesn't feel natural.
>>
>>49648520
What if the rest of us aren't real, either? What if it's just you, alone, forever?
>>
>>49642426
Originally in Italy, but I have the Finnish translation (from Donald Duck pocketbook 377, if somebody nees the exact book). The problem is that since it's not in a comicbook but a pretty thick paperback, in order to scan it I'd have to somehow take the book apart. Not that it'd particularly matter, as I got the book for few euros and there's nothing else in it that's particularly noteworthy, but I'm not sure how to do that without risking damage to the pages.

>>49644294
Only in the sense that all life is. Prossibly, maybe. Shub-Niggurath is kind of vaguely defined beyond some connection to life and fertility, but is sometimes implied to be the origin of all life.
Humans, and all life on Earth as we know it for the matter, came about as a side effect of the Elder Things' bioengineering projects that spread into the wild and were left unattented for a few billion years.
>>
>>49648556
Possible, but given cognito urgo sum, I have a limit on how meaningless I am willing to be. At this point, I just assume a nonlinear view of time. For some reason I set up this simulation, and am now running through it like a rogue like. I don't know why I did it. I don't know how I did it. I am unlikely to act on this information, as I clearly set up this simulation for a reason.
>>
>>49648556
Honestly, I'm comfortable being an AI. After all, AI can run robots. Make enough coordinated noise, and maybe they'll help us out.
>>
>>49648568
I am >>49648588 this anon. So, I suspect I am everyone. This may all be an act to stave off isolation induced madness.

Oh shit, what if this is all the imagination of a writer trapped in hell like at the start of niven's inferno?
>>
>>49648568
Does he even know whether he is real himself. The je pense, donc je suis is based on the overly wishful idea that a human being can even determine whether it thinks or not.
>>
>>49648424
The Alchemist was like his first work and it shows. Same with the Beast in the Cave. Both those stories should of ended a paragraph before they did.

He then learned to explain less
>>
>>49648603
Well, if it's a simulation, you've done a damn good job of it. At least it's not your hell, although if you are my subconcious made manifest, then all of us are in the same boat here.
>>
>>49631100
>Rick and Morty.

As someone who binges the first season in one night I'm calling your Bullshit out.

Explain how R&M has strong or even minor Lovecraftian elements.
>>
File: mortys.gif (662KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
mortys.gif
662KB, 500x281px
>>49648658
They have a Cthulhu type monster chasing the craft in the opening.

They regularly resort to tentacles and masses of eyes to illustrate strange worlds and biologies.

They horribly violate any sense of ethics or fundamental belonging, not just for gags like Family Guy but as a consistent worldbuilding exploration of an ever stranger multiverse.

The fact that they ruin their reality's mankind and then move to another where this hasn't happened but their equivalents tragically killed themselves in a lab accident so they just take over their lives, exchanging the rest of the family in the process, or the fact that there is an organization of copies of them from different realities, and that one pair of those went rogue, subjugating others to pointless torture in Gigeresque rape architecture, all that screams cosmic undermining.

I wouldn't call R&M a Horror genre show. It's clearly comedy, bitter ironic satire that regularly borrows Mythos imagery or structure to construct essential parts of its vision. But it is no cosmic tourism like so much HPL is, it uses those parts functionally to make a point in the context of its gag release schedule. It doesn't build long tension arcs. It just wallows a bit.

And that's great.
>>
>>49643944
Just like the middle letter of God because God is an infinite point in the 10th dimension that encompasses all possible realities, no matter how improbable. This causes a recursive loop that generates the illusion of existence. The proof of which is the pattern that the dimensions follow. going 1. point 2. line 3. Branch 4. fold with all dimensions being orthogonal to the previous dimension. When ever a thought in the simulation reaches the logical end of the recursive loop (the 10th dimension) time and space collapse in on itself and reset to form some wholly new and stranger reality defined by completely different but arbitrary sets of rulesthat govern everything until the thought knot is unfolded again restarting the kalpa.
>>
>>49631005
This.

munchkin call of cthulhu was a mistake.
>>
>>49631100
if you're looking for cosmic horror in the "popular eye" then you're starting off on the wrong foot.
>>
File: questionmark.jpg (32KB, 408x510px) Image search: [Google]
questionmark.jpg
32KB, 408x510px
Is asking loaded questions to encourage people to respond emotionally to implicit criticism of something they are way too emotionally invested in either way the best way to troll people on 4chan?
>>
>>49648885
No, people just like to talk, even if it's at trolls.

It must be because we have no actual souls but only aspects of Great Cthulhu's dream that infested some early evolutionary stage of mankind eons ago.
>>
File: ur now insane.png (80KB, 380x232px) Image search: [Google]
ur now insane.png
80KB, 380x232px
>>49648831
Horror due to your mind shattering after your pre-existing conceptions of reality shatter when faced with the true nature of the universe=hard

Spooky tentacles are scary and drive you curaazyh=easy
>>
>>49630940
People include a bunch of squiggly monsters with tentacles and 'lel u dun no wat dey think xDDDD" without understanding that these creatures are an expression of the true horror of Lovecraft's works, which is cosmic horror.

Lovecraft's Dream Cycle is some of the best fantasy I've read and I really wish people would use that more. His descriptions of the golden city in The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath were magnificent.
>>
File: cheshire_cat_by_zeeksie-d7tongs.jpg (368KB, 663x800px) Image search: [Google]
cheshire_cat_by_zeeksie-d7tongs.jpg
368KB, 663x800px
For gaming it's all about tension.

And you don't need tentacles for tension, you need structure.

You can make a scratching in the walls scary. You just have to link it to implications. Write some handouts.

A player character enters a room and discovers a journal. In it is a warning that THEY know. THEY are watching. THEY wait until one is alone. THEY can sense who doesn't belong. THEY cannot be stopped. And being taken by THEM is the worst way to go, excruciating and in no way quick. And the worst part is, THEY then take over one's body like a puppet and go after one's family and loved ones to spread.

THEY are in the walls. If one is lucky maybe one can hear THEM coming.

>GM *scratches underside of table
>>
>>49648758
The monsters and tentacles are just pop mythos, the real cosmic horror is the part where there are literally infinity of parallel worlds with parallel Ricks and parallel Mortys and parallel everybody else. Nothing they do matters ever, even dying is meaningless since there are still an infinity of their copies running around, and an infinity of their copies that have died horribly. None of it matters.
>>
>>49647812
see this picture
this is what started the LOL Cthluhu thing of nowadays
Fuck this kind of illustrations (most of them are from the Cthulhu TCG) that depict brave humans fighing agaist giant slugs instead of being mind-raped by Shans or eaten alive by some morbid shapes
>>
>>49648897
>falls for the metagame.
>Oblivious to it.
>>
>>49636253

Tell that to Katawa Shoujo general over at vg

They're like 3000 threads in and i think they may have restarted at one point
>>
>>49648577
Ist it Seitsemän meren kauhu or something else? Ususally, most of these stories are released in German in some way, and I can read that, so maybe I can find it for myself
>>
>>49650448
If "Seitsemän meren kauhu" roughly translates to "Fight of Pirates" or something (which if I just go by the look of the words may not be that far off), and the cover art is any indication, the german issue you look for would be 415
The finnish 377: http://www.catawiki.com/catalog/comic-books/series-protagonists/donald-duck/6002941-seitseman-meren-kauhu
The german 415: http://www.lustige-taschenbuecher.de/ltb-katalog-415.html

The page count seems off though. 512 in the finnish one vs. 250 in the german one. Artist and other shit fits though.
>>
>>49650523
There are always multiple stories in these, that's where the page count difference comes from. I got it wrong though, I meant to ask about the name of the publication, which would be Aku Ankan taskukirja. I'm ultimately after the name of the story mentioned in >>49637070
>>
>>49650606
>the name of the story
Or, even better, wrtiter and artist.
>>
>>49641603
What's that green where the human race finds this out and work until they crack the universe's source code and become a virus that spreads through the system, until we get to some kind of alien 3d printers and become real?
>>
>>49643039
Well, I mean. Considering that the creators outright said that there were no supernatural elements in the show and that all of the things that were taken as such had completely rational and mundane explanations...
>>
>>49644677
>These people who believe the universe was deliberately artificially created by an omnipotent being wouldn't be able to handle the idea that the universe they live in was deliberately artificially created by (a) functionally-omnipotent being(s)
>>
>>49650671
I'll check it when I have time. The story's name was "K'löntin kutsu" (not sure about apostrophe placement) in Finnish and "Call of Ca'russo" listed as its original name.
>>
For all interested parties, this seems to contain the Cthulhu inspired story: http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/donald-duck-16/ haven't found a DL yet.
And here are infos on writers and artist: https://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=D+2002-002
>>
>>49651424

Shut up, I'm trying to believe that they're not hacks and that the brilliance of season 1 wasn't accidental!

You and season 2 are not helping.
>>
>>49631005
lovecraft was a shit writer. nothing about his stories was even unsettling, and I'm not even talking about his laughable rubber suit monsters. it's like a fifth grader's idea of what's scary.
>>
>>49631698
wow, that's even more awful than I thought it would be. what kind of 12 year old comes up with this garbage?
>>
>>49634164
heh, I remember middle school.
>>
>>49652272
>>49652306
>>49652327

Shouldn't you be in school right now?
>>
>>49635612
wow you have shit taste
>>
>>49652272
Wow it's almost like it was written in a time where we weren't fucking bombarded by all sorts of special effects and silly horror stuff too much to think.

Yeah by modern standards shit like Nosferatu, Poe, or Lovecraft are tame, but they were built in a time where we didn't have 200 "Friday the 13th Part-x" being shoved down our throat. Shit was fucking scary at its time.

It's like how shakespeares comedies aren't funny anymore, except Lovecraft at least catered to non-retarded people within his lifetime.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.