[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 41

File: Stone Rain.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Stone Rain.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
($$$ COMPETITIVE $$$)

Decklists:
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

FULL Kaladesh spoiler
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/kaladesh

[[[Kaladesh is now legal. No banlist changes.]]]
>>
First for dredge
>>
>>49629474
>can't play shitty fringe graveyard decks now that everyone is packing graveyard hate
fuck dredge
>>
>>49629474
i wish there was a picture of GGT's face on steve buscemi's body saying "How do you do, fellow tier 1 decks?"
>>
>>49629474
>T2 Cathartic Reunion
>Dredge 16-18 from an empty yard

Bazzar wishes it drew that many cards.
>>
>>49629445
Well it's a generic town, featuring some generic ships. But the looming atmosphere is opressive, the glooming warm colors brings some safety, but you can't shake off the feeling that is something wrong.

The graveyard choice wasen't mine.

I'll admit that i liked it best when I saw it on the card, unzoomed. Love the Angels sculpted on marble along with vertical, clean buildings. That may be only my Christian background talking, though,
>>
File: cardart_gasfasd.jpg (135KB, 700x512px) Image search: [Google]
cardart_gasfasd.jpg
135KB, 700x512px
Also some of the Tarkir Islands.
>>
File: 707_mountain.jpg (91KB, 620x451px) Image search: [Google]
707_mountain.jpg
91KB, 620x451px
Mirrodin's Mountains
>>
Rate my competitive brew.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shock-pox/

It is a control deck that uses cards like smallpox to ruin opponents gameplans. It locks and burns opponents out with molten vortex and life from the loam.
>>
>>49629445
>Your taste in swamp is shit though.
Fuck you.
>>
what do you guys think of RG Tron in a blind meta right now?
>>
>>49629809
It's bad_
>>
File: mountain-apac_red.png (300KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mountain-apac_red.png
300KB, 500x500px
>>49629585
there are also some spooky dark tendrils in the water

>>49629671
i'm a big fan of mountains where the sun looks like a ball of fire
>>
>>49629809
kind of a solid pick
people are running a lot of midrangey stuff to try to counteract stuff like infect and tron preys on the midrange stuff. Ad nauseam is pretty weak right now so odds are you wont have to deal with it
if you do, run a lot of clears maindeck, like 6
>>
File: 8e3a1348d526f677d6b675ee33809d24.jpg (309KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
8e3a1348d526f677d6b675ee33809d24.jpg
309KB, 707x1000px
Those are my favorite forests, from Zendikar.
>>
>>49629671
Wiw so nice i might run them as my two basics in my boros burn deck
>>
File: plains chippy.jpg (22KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
plains chippy.jpg
22KB, 223x310px
>>49629915
I like those too, sad I only got one full art.

This is my favorite plains. Can't wait for Amonkhet for more desert lands. Tarkir Abzan was okay for them, not great.
>>
File: mtgswamp_rav_richardwright.jpg (88KB, 958x720px) Image search: [Google]
mtgswamp_rav_richardwright.jpg
88KB, 958x720px
I love Swamps that have buildings.
>>
>>49630176
More Swamps.
>>
File: mtgswamp_m14_jungpark.jpg (81KB, 928x675px) Image search: [Google]
mtgswamp_m14_jungpark.jpg
81KB, 928x675px
>>49630193
But my favorite is probably Jung Park's.
Feels so...explorable.
>>
File: KLD_Article&PW_Thumbnails_Swamp.jpg (94KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
KLD_Article&PW_Thumbnails_Swamp.jpg
94KB, 768x432px
>>49630212
Kaladesh.
>>
File: dredge.png (1MB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
dredge.png
1MB, 900x720px
>>49629521
1 million hours in paint.net
>>
>>49630266
hahahahaha I love you mate
>>
>>49630266
Put Stinkweed Imp and Bloodghast on the skateboard.
>>
What's your shit deck, anon?

You know the one, the brew you play at FNM because you like it rather than because it's tier one?
I'm loving every laugh with Owl-less Mine, it's so fucking good bouncing people's shocklands several times. 14x pieces of bounce removal tends to deal with most on-board threats and this deck for sure has the draw power.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/owling-mine-sans-owls/

I really just play Blood Moon decks. This deck also loses to burn immediately, and against Dredge you have to switch gears into mill and hope they get greedy with the GGT
>>
>>49630604
I like martyr proc. It's way worse now that everyone has graveyard hate in the sideboard though.
>>
whats the deck lax is playing against? anyone has a list or anything similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msj647yI8Gs
>>
>>49630699
it's elves, he even says it
there's a few lists up
>>
>>49630699
Looks like bog standard GW Elves https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-elves-27599#online
>>
>>49630699
>>49630772
wait i'm mistaken, this is something far funnier
>tfw allosaurus rider is a legit card now
>>
>>49630772
>>49630790

its obviously elves, yes, but he uses eldritch evolution, allosaurus, curio and ranger of eos. I find that unconventional but pretty cool.
>>
>>49630820
I was thinking the same just with Evolution instead of Company and then the guy played Summoner's Pact and everything went completely tits up.
>>
>>49630845
It seems like more of a legit deck than real elves, with it's ability to fetch and Evo
>and people say modern is dead

I'm actually kinda hyped for this deck
>>
File: 40.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
40.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
So we all know that Spell Queller is a legit card.

has anyone seen Selfless spirit do good work? I am thinking of running two in my coco deck and I don't know how it may perform.
>>
>>49630918
yes, it works very well there
get it while it's cheap

the ability to block, then coco into spirit is crazy nuts tempo
>>
>>49630790
>He waits all that time because he could draw Anger and wipe out the tokens
>His opponent ends by playing Forge-Tender and passes
>Then he does draw Anger

Beautiful.
>>
>>49630931
It's like poetry
It rhymes
>>
>>49630699
can't someone go on modo and ask the guy? it honestly is a really cool deck
>>
>>49630699
lmao, that's insane

exile for allosaurus, evo into craterhoof takes game 1
infinite combo with cloudstone curio & two elves with evo into sweeper protection takes game 2

poetry
>>
>>49630604

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-gruul-stax/

I've been watching legacy videos since Eternal Masters came out, and hit a nostalgia wave. That led to me day dreaming about Mike Flores's Bests 2k7 and thinking, "Modern doesn't really have a stax variant, maybe turn 2 Trinisphere could do well in a field of infect, dredge, and burn"
feedback plz
>>
How's Fish doing? Still playable but not quite T1?
>>
>>49631129
it's tier 1 but nobody plays it
>>
>>49630604
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/owling-mine-sans-owls/
I assume you tried Ivory Crane Netsuke and it's shit against affinity and burn?
I also assume Nahiri's Wrath is terrible against creature-dude decks?
>>
>>49631168

Why not? I have a perfectly good fish deck, just don't have the time.
>>
>>49631225
It's not degenerate enough
It still makes top 8, I think people are just bored of it
If you want to ship it to me, I'll pay the shipping costs
>>
>mfw
Should I make affinity now?
>>
>>49631245

Nah, I will be using it in Legacy once I get Wasteland/Chalice/Fluster.

Do they still go 1000% agro game 1 and side control game 2/3?
>>
>>49631249
sell it and make affinity
>>
>>49631249
You can sell it and make most of affinity

Keeping it and buying the rest of affinity would be autistic
>>
>>49631282
>>49631295
Seems like the smartest move.
>>
>>49631129
Bad against Titanshift, jund, abzan, burn, zooicide

Reasonable matchup against infect, tron (8seas), esper anything, affinity, coco, D&T

Merfolk is just fine, just like every deck that rolls out in a tournament. If you have it, it probably won't be bad. Play it.
>>
>>49631168
anon, the tier list is usage based
>>
>>49631374
niceme.me
>>
>>49631194
Owl-less Mine actually spends a lot of cards. I'll have to test Nahiri's, but you tend to play a lot of cards each turn with the Mine. Everything is cmc2 except for Cryptic and Sudden Impact and the enchantments.
I will test it though. Might put 2-3 in the side next Modern event.
Ivory Crane Netsuke is shit. shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
>>
>TFW competitive Modern is so unsupported we end up talking about basic land art instead.
WotC really doesn't seem to care or even want to keep a healthy competitive scene anymore. It's all begginers and cardboard crack nowadays.
>>
>>49631128
I love this deck.
I'd go up to 4x Chalice with the last in the side because it's pretty well placed at the moment. Chalice on 1 eats all the scary fast decks.
>>
>>49630604
It'd be 8Rack but 8Rack's been winning me more store credit than Burn and Jund nowadays so I don't know.
>>
>>49631436
did you not see the crazy GW combo deck above? it's up to the community to have some creativity & inspiration as well
>>
>>49631436
lick a dick, it's a slow thread without tournaments and its late in the US
and tg is usually pretty bad at magic
>>
>>49631436
Yeah, they don't really care much, and while thats a good thing for the format as a whole (less meddling, fewer banlist changes) its also terrible (fee, if any reprints, fewer new players entering the format).

Eventually, Modern will go the way of Vintage and be "supported" but WotC would rather it disappear entirely. And they'll usher in a new format (probably M15 forward) to assist Jew City Games and other secondary market retailers.
>>
>>49631282
>>49631295
>>49631310
>You can sell it and make most of affinity

Seems to be worth about $100.
That won't even pay for your Ravagers.
>>
>>49631519
Still better than keeping it
>>
>>49631473

We've known about Curiousaur for a while now. Saurus was $11 a pop at its highest. If you watch the video, the guy was saying "Don't you usually need nettle for the infinite?" It's fairly consistent with Pact, Evo, Ranger and probably Chord + CoCo
>>
>>49630699
>guy spends several minutes going infinite game 2
>ari lax spends the entire time hoping to top deck anger of the gods to keep him in the game
>guy finally makes enough tokens to kill ari in one attack next turn
>taps elves for 3 more mana
>evolution for forge-tender
>ari actually draws the fucking anger

that was fucking hilarious
>>
>>49631513
But resellers are who profit off of ridiculous prices on Modern staples and reserve list cards?
>>
>>49631500
>without tournaments
That's the point.
>>
First attempt at a modern brew, always loved human tribal and aggressive decks. Thought token generating, cheap humans that pump, and the assorted goodies would be fun. R8 h8 oblitr8 me please. I need all the help I can get. Going for a mardu humans type deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-10-16-mardu-humans/
>>
What's Modern night at a local store like?
Will I get blown out for not spending a month's pay on a generic 3-turn-win-or-bust meta deck or is it more casual?
>>
>>49632494
it really depends on the lgs meta. the lgs from my hometown is pretty relaxed with mostly homebrews and some proven to work decks here and there like bw tokens or scapeshift. over here its mostly tier 1 and 2 decks. jund, affinity, tron, all that jazz.

that said you dont need to spend 2 grand to build jund to have a chance at winning. get to know the meta first and look for decks that are good in it that you'd like to play. there might be something that is relatively decent that doesnt cost an arm and a leg
>>
>>49632804
You still better build Tier 1 because if the store is Spike heavy you'll need it, and if the store is rogue-heavy you'll get demolished by the ever prevalent bitch playing RGTron.
>>
File: 1470915469869.png (185KB, 500x644px) Image search: [Google]
1470915469869.png
185KB, 500x644px
Got a local Modern tournament coming up on Friday. Ive got 3 gimmicky modern decks, what should I take.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-09-16-assisted-suicide/

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/questionable-choices/

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cranial-flush/
>>
>>49631436
Modern is by far the most accessible format in my opinion, im not sure why it isn't more popular outside of kitchen table magic.

>Doesn't rotate out, only subjected to bans
>dont have to feel 'late' to a set like with standard
>more balanced than legacy, less completely broken cards
>still a significantly large library of cards

only real downside is cost is stupidly high for competitive. I traded for most of my cards but ive got modern decks worth 1600 now which is pretty extreme for a childrens card game.

I only really play standard because my roommates only do booster drafts and budget gimmicky standard decks
>>
>>49633132
Competitive Modern is so inaccessible the japs made post-modern because despite being loaded and spending indiscriminatedly in their hobbies, they're tired of having to scour europe for cards.

And it is not at all more balanced than Legacy. Legacy is the only format where homebrews can beat Tier 1s because the pool allows for a variety of different strategies in each archetype and even different approaches to some combo and aggro configurations. On the other hand competitive Modern is a sideboard matchup lottery.
>>
>>49633321
Last time I watched competitive Legacy, in the finals a storm deck won turn two both rounds.
>>
>>49633321
isn't miracles like 15% of the meta in legacy?
>>
>>49633321
to be fair Modern aims for a turn 4 win
Legacy expect a turn 2-3 win
>>
>>49630699
>>49631017
found a list similar to that one

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/33537_Video-Allosaurus-Elves-In-Modern.html

>>49631587
I knew about the Allosaurus price spike but I didn't know they did made a deck work out the Allosaurus + Eldritch Evolution combo.
>>
>>49633384
Relevance?
>>
>>49633384

It shows up a lot in top 8, but it's not some unbeatable thing. The trick is that since mana is very tight, you have a variety of cmc to use, usually 0,1,2, or 3, so you force them to waste top activations. So Miracles tends to win some matches and grind out in others. It's very much a deck that requires you to slow your roll. Some decks are okay with that, others fall apart to it.

I've seen so many different decks in t8, it's an insane format. I've even seen Manaless Dredge (a version of dredge that's far weaker to the sideboard than normal dredge) win a big one recently.
>>
>>49630918
It's pretty clutch in Death and Taxes. Check out this list: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13119&d=276758&f=MO
>>
>>49629809
50/50, Dredge gets countered by midrange and hate or Infect/Burn/Suicide that goes under and you know which you'd like to face. Living End shouldn't be a player and Ad Nauseam is rare, all other MUs should be positive.
>>
>>49632129
>>49632129
Hi there, let me welcome you to the Mardu master race. You won't get much help here, mostly you'll get told to go and play jund. Which is a viable option, if you have the money to spare and you don't mind playing the same deck as most scrubs in your store. But obviously you're not that kind of person. I like your deck, it's pretty neat but it does look like you're trying to force a few standard cards into modern which is a no go my friend. Also I don't think you've made the most of the colours you have dipped into. Where's the path? Lightning helix? Zealous persecution? ZP is fucking amazing with tokens. Kills mana dorks and gives you lethal. Heck I have used it as a form of removal in so many games. Anyway I like what you're trying to do but here's my Mardu list.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-07-16-rw-tokens/

There are some key changes I need to make
1 more mentor
1 more brimraz
And another form of removal at instant speed would be nice. It also started off pretty budget and has spiraled into a 500 dollar deck. It's a similar strategy to yours, fill the board with tokens, deal with threats and hit for lethal.

I welcome chan to let me know what they think and what changes I could/should make.

Inb4 jund. I have actually beaten most jund games I've played as well as all forms of aggro in the meta currently. My only problem is tron but that's easy g2 when I I side in crumble to dust.
>>
File: Counterbalance.jpg (39KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Counterbalance.jpg
39KB, 223x310px
Can we talk about this card and why everyone hates it even though you can lock out an opponent from playing certain mana costs cards using scry. in a format where average converted mana cost is often less than 2 ive had amazing success locking opponents out for multiple turns at a time
>>
>>49634100
But while you're diddling with your library your opponent's turn 1 and 2 threats are killing you. Without brainstorm, top and ponder to find answers you can't deal with threats well enough.
>>
File: 1473909902092.jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
1473909902092.jpg
36KB, 223x310px
>>49634121
That's why i prefer it as a turn 3-4 drop after your general cantrips and setups like Serum visions, and just before you drop your win condition.

If you go first, assuming you really want to, you play a serum visions turn 1 if there's a 1 or 2 mana cost card there play the counter balance turn 2 and your opponent might potentially waste a turn or even pass due to the scry. I've scryed two lands, played the counterbalance and had someone skip rather than risk playing on a setup.

It's a fun card, needs to see more play. I ran it with a winter orb control deck with telepathy, that with a bunch of cantrips and discards made for some interesting games
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-07-16-rw-tokens/

Come at me bros
>>
>>49634653
>RW tokens
>clearly mardu
>>
>>49634700
What difference does it make nigga. Black is just splashed. Tell me why my deck sucks
>>
>>49635389
for the same reason mardu never works

you're trying to play goodstuff but abzan and jund have better goodstuff. You play a bunch of cards to go wide but the whole point of playing discard and goodstuff is to win the topdeck war in exchange for tempo but then you play mentor and yung peezy which are awfully shit cards that do not fit in a topdeck strat

you will still win games with it because it is a pile of random good cards but there is no reason to play this particular pile of good cards when there are two objectively better piles of good cards
>>
>>49634100
I'd love to see counterbalance work but what would be your engine? With top you can guarantee a 1 on top on turn 2 but in modern you either have to blindflip or play some kind of engine the turn after counterbalance so by the time you have it online your opponent has probably played half their hand if not just have lethal on board
>>
>>49635526
Ok good. This somewhat constructive. I'll admit I hate seeing mentor late in the game. (unless I have some souls in the graveyard)

How to fix this top deck issue then?
Add some more draw like bob? Or a decent beater like goyf?
Looking at jund/abzan lists I'm not missing much of what they have in terms of "a pile of good cards"
>>
File: 1475470300556.gif (2MB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
1475470300556.gif
2MB, 300x262px
>>49635581
>all opponents modern decks win turn 2
The game isnt fun to talk about if you assume your opponent has already won.

I've recently tried counterbalance in my mill + control deck after a long time of being told its shit. While i dont like using this word to validate my card choices, the main reason I take it is because it's a fun card.

I run two just for the entertaining fuck you factor, ive got 4x Serum visions for general momentum and I guess setup turn 1 for the turn 2 counterbalance (top is banned in modern). Even if I can't get the 2 mana lockout on turn 2, getting it turn 3/4/5 still work really well for me, people have had their spell countered, played another and Ive managed to scry a counter to both. It disrupts a fair amount of plays for a 2 mana enchantment even without deck manipulation (considering the 1-3 mana cost meta) or make them waste an permanent/enchant removal.
>>
>>49635653
There is not really a way to make mardu on par with abzan in jund; green just has the biggest and dumbest beaters. Not only Tarmogoyf but Scooze too is just so devastating on a nearly empty board with both players topdecking

There is also the fact that abzan and jund have better lategame valuelands, mostly raging ravine and gavony township that can just win games on their own. Vault of the Archangel and Shambling Vent share similar roles but aren't even close in how devastating they are.

If you just want to play mardu because of pet deck and/or budget reasons I think you should form a more concise gameplan; why are you running Raise the Alarms for example? You can go the jundy route with card advantage with Bob and Kolaghan's Command or triple down on the value plan like abzan, Either way I think Brimaz is a good card in such a strat, and you should look for more creatures that don't die to lightning bolt
>>
>>49635722
>all opponents modern decks win turn 2
don't make things up, I never said anything like that

If you want to play something becuse you think it's fun well good job enjoy, there is nothing to discuss. I once played oops all bears at a GP legacy side event and had a blast, want to discuss how to improve that strategy?

Here's the issue with counterbalance in modern, imagining the better one of two scenarios where you're on the play

>turn 1 you play some cantrip
>opponent does turn 1 thing
>turn 2 you play counterbalance
>opponent does turn 2 things
>turn 3 you play the other half of your engine
you are now ready to start interacting

Assuming the tip top perfect scenario of being on the play with engine in hand and having an engine that is relevant the moment it hits the field (so not crystal ball for example as it would take another untap before you can start scrying). In this christmas land scenario, you are two turns behind on your opponent. That does not immediately mean you lose turn 4, but you do have to find a way to catch up with that lost ground whilst also using mana on your counterbalance engine card(s).

Comparing that high end of a strategy to the high end of other decks which can be turn 3 Karn or just straight up killing you and the payoff of such a flimsy donothing combo is just really low.
>>
>>49631399
Holly shit you are so fucking stupid just get out.
>>
>>49635783
Raise the alarm pings off with young p and mentor pretty well imo and can make some chump blockers early game.

I'm going be adding another brimraz and mentor which might mean getting rid of the raise the alarm.

Hero of the blade hold is pretty rad but just feels a bit slow for 4 mana.

Bob is a but pricey for me and I kind of like phyrexian arena as it doesn't die to bolt etc.

I completely agree about the man lands. I only ever lose to jund because of the lands and I have no idea how to work around it save pack more removal.

I'm playing mostly for pet deck reasons, my love of midrange and I'm pretty keen to shit on infect and affinity.
>>
>>49636010
I dislike peezy and mentor in topdeck strats, I'd recommend more creatures that are good on their own and don't need additional cards

maybe try kitchen finks and/or two painful truths for card advantage, or some walker that draws cards like chandra pyromaster
>>
>>49635581
Mystic Speculation.
>>
>>49633419
>legacy expects a turn 2-3 win
>expects
>this fucking meme
>again
>>
>>49636010
I think some amount of bitterblossom and kalitas Armin in order for your deck.
Bitterblossom gives your deck consistent stream of flying bodies, yeah the ping sucks, but that is a non-issue with spring giving them lifeline
Mentor needs to be put to 4, prowess is insane and he is easier to cast than brimaz
Kalitas would really benefit this deck, it rewards years of for playing your strategy but also for playing your colours. Mardu has access to the best removal. He seems like,ea better fit than hero, and in a graveyard deck filled format he will help a lot
>>
File: 1475341763327.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1475341763327.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>49635852
I dont run Counterbalance but I can see a deck built around it and another win condition being alright

>turn 1 you play serum visions, scry 2
>opponent does turn 1 thing
>turn 2 you play counterbalance
>assuming you scryed a card with a converted mana cost, this is now the card on top of the deck
>most likely scenario, you'd have a 2 mana cost card on top of your library when your opponent starts turn 2/3.

It's decent odds, if they play a two mana cost card, their turn has basically been wasted, if they pass and try and interfere with you in your turn they still run a risk of wasting cards. You enter turn 3, start moving towards your win condition. The counterbalance is still free counter threat for 2, it wouldn't be that hard to squeeze in.

You could run some decent instant scrys to respond to specific cards as they're being played.
>>
>>49636318
I do really want to try him and I'm on the fence about investing. Will play test thanks.

So with the brimmy mentor ration. 4-2 with mentor at 4?

I only bought him as a fun card to try and he's performed so well.
>>
>>49636037
Painful truths I've been looking for that card. Guess I could replace it for phyrexian arena?

I could always take out the new lili too. She's only in there cuz I pulled one in a draft. She's pretty mean against infext
>>
>>49636037
>kitchen finks

I wish this card was on par with Geralfs messenger, there's no reason for it not to have undying
>>
>>49632494
Just play what you want. But understand that if it's not at least tier 2, and you don't know you're deck, you will lose most of your games. For example, I just built jund, but still getting used to it and get punished for it.
>>
File: BazaarofBagsNMe[1].jpg (1MB, 1730x1142px) Image search: [Google]
BazaarofBagsNMe[1].jpg
1MB, 1730x1142px
>>49629528
>Implying Bazzar draw you cards

I see nothing about drawing cards here
>>
>>49635852
Why isn't Counterbalance used in Modern anyway?

I mean its not like there aren't any Top alternatives and frankly top + counterbalance would be busted in Modern
>>
>>49636920
>I mean its not like there aren't any Top alternatives
Such as?
>>
>>49636893
>No spells may be cast between drawing and discarding cards.

You blind scrub.
>>
>>49636942
Crystal ball?
Darksteel pendant?
Hedron Alignment?
Instant spells that let you modify your top card?

Just spitting out some ideas

>>49636979
Completely different sentence, its practically a second effect
>>
>>49633371
Don't let that scare you. Storm decks are decently consistent if unopposed, but Force and discard can soften them up enough for clocks to go to work. A lot of legacy is like jund vs affinity where some trades and attrition happened, and both players are top decking.
There are overpowered threats, but also overpowered answers.
>>
>>49637009
The short is that it's much less reliable. You can basically lock your opponent out if you can counter their 1 and 2 mana cards, but modern is slower so it's not nearly as crippling
>>
>>49633478
>balanced
>>
>>49637009
>Completely different sentence, its practically a second effect

If we're taking sentences out of context, then your own "completely different sentence" only said "I see nothing about drawing cards here."
>>
is it considered cheating to start a new match with cards from your sideboard?
>>
>>49637310
Yes.
>>
>>49637310
Not if its not sanctioned
>>
>>49637310
Alternatively just don't play the cards
Or just say that you're the one guy who runs sideboard tech in his mainboard
>>
I want to build this:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-goryo-s-vengeance-27547#paper

How hard will I get fucked? My lgs consists of a good mix of t1, 2 and 3 decks. It is kinda heavy on the t1 though. I already own infect, jund and nahiri control.

The deck itself seems fun as hell
>>
>>49637447
I've seen it play, shit can win as fast as turn 2

Definitely not a deck to sleep on but I wonder why it kinda dropped off
>>
>>49637497
Also its weird that its not the borborygmos version with worldspine and Nourishing Shoal
>>
>>49637497
Because it's not terribly consistent
It CAN win on turn 2, but it can also durdle and get BTFO by Infect/Zooicide, or by dedicated control decks
It's very powerful, but it can just fail dynamically. See the SCG Orlando Grand Finals
>>
>>49637521
>>49637677
That's why they stepped away from the borborygmos plan and went full reanimator with emra and grizzledaddy
>>
File: Image.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
Can anyone tell me why bant eldrazi is now running 2 elspeth sun's champions in the sideboard now? I get why it's a decent enough card, but what matchups is it helping you to beat? Seems like the -3 hits all your important creatures so mostly it's just pumping out tokens. The flex land spot now seems to also be going gavony township now over ghost quarter (personally I happen to like wastes here because blood moon exists)
>>
>>49637732
Mirror maybe? Seems like it shits on other midrange decks pretty hard
>>
>>49637732
Stabilises board against large creature decks. Then overruns the board.
>>
>>49637732
>+1 is a 3-for-0 every turn
god damn i remember how much i fuckin hated this card in standard until i started doing dumb shit like
>land, elf
>land, elf, caryatid
>land, xenagos, satyr
>land, xenagos up, genesis for 6, hit elspeth, plus 1
>chord of calling, purphoros, elspeth up, xenagos 0
>>
>>49637940
>>49637942
>>49637755
Gotcha. Thanks for replies. Not sure I like it better than some other things, like negate in the board, but Ill certainly test it out and see. Also blessed alliances are disappearing in the board. I guess it's too specialized for things like bogles and infect, and engi explosives works just as well against those decks and is more generally useful
>>
>>49636920
>I mean its not like there aren't any Top alternatives

But that's exactly what it's like
>>
What's your favorite card in Modern? Doesn't have to be good or a card you play personally, but one you love the look of and flavor of, or love the mechanics of.

Mine is either Etched Champion or Gifts Ungiven
>>
File: bingo.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
bingo.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
>>49638862
one of the best, though stone rain is up there
>>
>>49637732
>>49638582
Have you ever resolved Elspeth against Jund? That's why they run her in Bant Eldrazi.
>>
I need some help building a mono u tron list. Is there a definitive list I should be aware of?
>>
>>49638992
Cant say that I have. They could still maelstrom pulse her, but thats a 1-2 of at most. It still doesnt help against control who counters her, or valakut who ignores her. Still, it helps enough of the time she's worth trying
>>
>>49639159
why mono u? just run r/g with the painland instead of grove
>>
>>49639202
I'm working with a budget and have most of the key parts for the U versioneed making the price tag pretty reasonable
>>
What happens if Thoughtseize or IoK or both were banned?

I'm of the mindset they're some of the ultimate gatekeepers for decks and modern as a whole; even a magical Christmas land opening hand folds to them.

What decks open up if they're allowed to hold onto a card they want?
>>
>>49639307
Even more of the most absolute most degenerate shit in the format
Why in god's name would you ever want to ban cards that provide one of the only ways to interact with degenerate decks early?
>>
>>49639307
That's a good thing though.
Just like FoW and Wasteland are gatekeepers in Legacy, you need "cut that shit out" cards around.
>>
>>49639344

Degenerate decks like what?
Please list them.
>>
>>49639403
IoK and TS hit:
Infect
Zooicide
Bogles
Dredge a bit
Storm
Ad Nauseam
Jeskai Ascendancy
Bloomless Titan

Probably more I forgot
There's 0 reason to get rid of the card
>>
>>49639307

People would play blackmail/duress instead.
>>
>play living end against an unknown opponent
>turns out he's on bogles
>starts complaining about the matchup
>overextends by playing all of his bogles instead of pumping one
>attacks with his guy instead of leaving him up to block when i go to attack for lethal
>forfeits after game 1
top lel
>>
>>49639974
>played against shiter opponent that lost and got shitty about it
#theskyisblue
>>
>>49629528
actually lost to that last week, t2 dredge 17 i think he hit 3 amalgams and 2 bloodghasts
>>
>>49640354
I know, it was just hilarious that these are the people that bitch on reddit about bans
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (389KB, 1184x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
389KB, 1184x1600px
thinking of picking some of these up from ebay
>>
>>49640440
I have never seen that befone in my life, what is that? There's no set symbol but it isn't an alter
>>
>>49640468
there is this seller on ebay that makes really cool custom lands. i think they are really cool, and i think they make sure the cards are very similar thicknesswise and shit so you cant be called out for cheating
>>
>>49640530
You still can because they aren't DCI official cards. The thickness might be close but the DCI doesn't care
>>
>>49638862
Electrolyse, it feels so fucking good to kill two things with it. Especially against infect and affinity.
>>
>>49640530
All cards fake or not still feel the same in a sleeve, who cares how thick it is.
>>
>>49640595
just got 4 of those for my UR delver fiend sideboard, these things wreck elf bullshit like no other

speaking of pauper, does anyone know how much cancer drake tron would be?
>>
>>49640622
Regular ur drake is better. I'm so fucking glad my local pauper opponents decide to not play drake out of principle of it being cancer as fuck and generally a bad time.
>>
>>49640593
>>49640618
they should be fine at fnm, maybe just ask a judge there if its cool. my particular lgs is really chill about alters and shit
>>
>>49640833
Probably not. It'd be fine to use them in EDH or casual, but even at FNM a Judge simply is not allowed to say "yes, you can use proxies" in any sanctioned event because it sets a bad precedence.
>>
>>49634077
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-07-16-rw-tokens/

Path got taken out for oust to save money. They would probably be the first direct upgrade. It was that or IoK and I thought IoK would be the better value. I see your point with lightning helix, probably end up dropping a few in. I know the vehicles are shit but they give me a draw engine, pure damage source, and a budget reality smasher. Maybe I'm just hoping they work.

But otherwise thank you for the suggestion. Fuck jund brother.
>>
>>49638862
Snapcaster mage. Little explanation needed. Pretty much is the reason why blue isn't total garbage.
>>
>>49638862
>What's your favorite card in Modern?

Ad Nauseam
>>
>>49638862
Tarmogoyf
>>
>tfw finally have all of Jund built

Do I have to actually know how to pilot this thing or can I just start stomping face on the first game?
>>
>>49642026
Do you know what to Thoughtseize to maximize your win% for the game? That's the basics.
>>
>>49637732
As a Jund player I literally can't beat this card. I recently had a game against Bant Eldrazi where he was severely losing, I had Liliana on 1, 2 Grim Flayers, and a 6/7 Goyf. He was at seven and top decked Elspeth and used the -3 to wipe my board. Then proceeded to swarm me with tokens.

It was very upsetting, he was so dead on board and won off the back on Elspeth and nothing else.
>>
>>49642026
what is there to know? kill everything they cast and beat them with those $200 bills until they are dead
>>
>>49642107
Pulse
Bolt
Attack with a leftover Bob if they wrath

Jundbabies everyone
>>
>>49642248
Bolting a planeswalker after it just wiped your board only stops the bleeding. It doesn't negate the fact that your asshole just got blown out.
>>
>>49642312
It's a 6 mana wrath that affects both sides. I wouldn't call that a blowout
>>
>>49642248
The reason it's good against Jund is because it BTFOs them hard when both players are topdecking, not because it's unanswerable period. If you can out topdeck Jund you beat them at their own game.
>>
>>49642248
I have outs, but that doesn't mean the card isn't good. I have to draw the pulse or bolt, and pulse is a 1 of.

But I know your post wasn't anything more than shit flinging instead of actual discussion so for that here's your (you)
>>
>>49642409
There's very few topdecks in the game that beat Sun's Champion though. Big creature? She kills it. Small creature? She chumps it. Bolt? She ticked up. Walker removal? Still got 3 1/1s on board.
>>
>>49642358
>affects both sides
Against Jund you're either winning and have creatures out, or losing and have no creatures. If you draw and you're losing? You wipe their board. Draw it and you're winning? Flood the board with tokens.
>>
>>49642409
>>49642495
These anons hit the nail on the head
>>
>>49629528
>Cathartic Reunion
Hell, I'm just seeing this now and it is definitely replacing Tormenting Voice.
Maybe I'll add some Spirit Guides in for max cheese.
>>
Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v56B8_vgr38
>>
File: goryo's.jpg (13KB, 262x193px) Image search: [Google]
goryo's.jpg
13KB, 262x193px
Anyone else on Grixis Goryo's? I'm putting it through its paces and would love advice.

1 Island
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
2 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Darkslick Shores
4 Polluted Delta
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Watery Grave

4 Griselbrand
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Goryo's Vengeance
4 Izzet Charm
2 Lightning Bolt
4 Through the Breach
2 Collective Brutality
4 Faithless Looting
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand

3 Anger of the Gods
4 Thoughtseize
1 Vandalblast
2 Lightning Axe
3 Dispel
2 Spell Pierce

Built Grixis instead of Shoal to have more of a chance of interacting with other decks. I still don't think I've found the sweet spot between interaction and th combo. My gut tells me to shave an Emma for some more interaction - Axe or Pierce spring to mind. I've also seen more all-in combo versions with Fury of the Horde for an instant win with Griselbrand, but once I get my giant monsters into play the chances of me winning are high even if I have to pass the turn. I don't want to sacrifice any of the deck's already sketchy consistency.

Even so, I love playing this thing. The sinking feeling of fizzling happens a lot, but it's got nothing on the feeling of resolving Vengeance on turn 2/3 and winning out of nowhere. The art on Goryo's and Breach is just gravy for me - I love the otherworldly Kamigawa style.

tl;dr found a modern deck I really like, help me make it better?
>>
>>49643297
Shoal fizzles less.
If you want interaction don't play this deck
>>
>>49629915
My brother in'mrakul.
>>
>>49643499
That's fair. Once I become more comfortable with the combo I could get the pieces for Shoal.
>>
>>49643121
he never really explains what is it that bothers him about the format.
>>
>>49643121
>Kevin
dropped
>>
>>49639448

But against something like infect a turn 1 iok can turn a turn three curve into an immediate scoop. How do you build a deck resilient to it? You need to not have your cards care about other cards. You need to play hyper value no-intercard topdeck, exactly like jund/junk (or Tron, which beats them only because TS/IoK won't hit lands which allows them their super-topdeck value), or a graveyard strategy.

Am I wrong?
>>
>>49644173
Yeah, you are
By adding redundant copies of a card, you make the deck more resilient. You also seem to forget that cantrips and card draw exist. Discard is the only way for midrange decks to deal with combo, and even that doesn't always stop it. How does something like Jund interact with infect when it doesn't have countermagic? It can't, so it has to be proactive and try to stop the enemy's deck before it does what it wants.

I don't know why the fuck you're even complaining about it, if you played the game more than twice you'd realize that it's not a big deal
>>
>>49644280
>How does something like Jund interact with infect when it doesn't have countermagic? It can't

(you)
>>
>>49644375
If vines or blossoming comes down, tell me what card Jund has that can interact with that creature
I know they aren't running any instant speed sweepers
>>
>>49644400
Oh no. Jund players have to think and god forbid they might not have an answer
>>
>>49644015
>he never really explains what is it that bothers him about the format.

He sorta does but here's the real reason he dislikes modern: Infect and Ad Nauseum. I'm not memeing with the second one, he actually gets super triggered over that deck, going as far as to call it degenerate and calling for a ban on Simian Spirit Guide. Ofc he also gets mega-assmad over infect too cause it hard counters his precious soul sisters.

That and he gets really sour when his stupid memedecks shockingly don't 4-0 or 3-1 a modern queue. He's gotta point, if I cant 4-0 with my Skred red deck splashing white for Soul Sisters then this format is fucking garbage!
>>
>>49644400

Liliana. Aside from her, they don't; hexproof is an answer. But jund can play around those answers as well, by saving it's instant speed removal until infect burns cards on pumps and such. Either way, it wouldn't make the matchup unwinnable like you seem to think, it would just not make it overwhelmingly in Junds favor on turn 1 by removing one threat from hand.

Basically, my issue is that targeted discard nullifies card synergy in favor of "draw the best, biggest, and fattest single cards ever printed"
>>
>>49643121
If Desolator "actually looks like a potato" Magic didn't exist, then Rogue Deckbuilder is the worst MTG youtube channel.
>>
>>49644560
I've played infect for over a year and a turn 1 thoughtseize or IoK has never been game over for me
I get what you're saying but it's just never felt like an issue and targeted discard isn't really all that annoying. IoK does work against aggressive decks and TS does more work against control decks, but neither really break open those matchups. It's good that these cards exist because they stop glass cannon shit from taking over, and even right now decks with targeted discard aren't doing super amazing.
>>
>>49638862
Greatness, at any cost.
>>
>>49644560
Liliana isn't even a clean answer against Infect since they'll often have extra creatures to sac, she also doesn't hit Nexus.

It seems strange to complain about discard spells since they're one of the few things stopping modern from completely devolving into nothing but unfair decks goldfishing against each other.
>>
Say I cast a remand, then someone redirects it onto itself.
What happens?
>>
>>49644836
2 mana cantrip with no side effects
>>
>>49644836
I don't have the ruling, but a spell can't target itself. Rewind the game.
>>
>>49644566
Des is terrible at predictions and gauging power levels prior to using the cards. Other than that, the channel is pretty decent.
>>
>>49644866
It is not cast targeting itself, someone plays redirect to cause it to target itself.
>>
>>49644836
>>49644866
>>49644902

I'm pretty sure the redirect spell can redirect the remand to the redirect spell. The redirect spell will resolve before the remand. The remand has no more legal targets fizzles
>>
>>49639253
Look up Shoktroopa. He plays mostly online, updates occasionally, and is pretty much credited with inventing the deck in modern.
>>
>>49644887
>channel is pretty decent.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
>>
>>49644902
They can't, a spell cannot target itself. They can make it target the spell they're using to change the target, though.

However, if a spells only target is not legal on resolution, the ENTIRE spell fizzles.
>>
>>49645029
If one of the targets is invalid it fizzles. All targets of cryptic need to be valid or fizzle
>>
>>49645046
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Fizzle
>>
>>49645046

Wrong. All the targets need to be illegal to fizzle, a spell will resolve as much as it can as long as it has a legal target. This is why goblin welder's errata is worded as such.
>>
>>49644535
I figured that out the moment he said he didn't like decks that can kill relatively fast.

but still, he is throwing all these suggestions for these "problems" but some are not even problems in the first place. I dont know, he just sounds very butthurt for no reason.
>>
>>49645284
I would be butthurt too if I looked like that
>>
>>49645046
>>49645236
With Cryptic, it's important to note that only two of it's abilities do target. So if you try to bounce a creature and draw and something else gets rid of the creature, you don't draw. If you try to bounce a creature and counter a spell but something happens to the creature, you do still get to counter the spell.
>>
Is Esper tokens a thing yet?
>>
>playing UR storm with Gifts
>>
>>49645997
everyone will pack grave hate for dredge though
>>
File: 1474887778959.jpg (86KB, 800x705px) Image search: [Google]
1474887778959.jpg
86KB, 800x705px
>>49645997
>when they go to abrupt decay and your whole hand is full of protection
>>
File: 1473954439707.jpg (179KB, 872x872px) Image search: [Google]
1473954439707.jpg
179KB, 872x872px
>>49646078
Vines of Vastwood
>>
File: Screenshot_20161004-095213.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161004-095213.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
I'm making something I like to call Legacy Weapon Walls. Legacy Weapon because fuck everything you own everywhere. Assault Formations, Axebane Guardians, Freed from the Real. Nyxfleece Rams because I started when they were standard. It's mostly Bant, but I'm getting a couple Godless Shrines so I can Phenax because Defenders are amazing mill engines.

But here's my question. Axebane Guardian with Freed from the Real needs only 1 creature to go infinite. Would Genesis Wave be better than Train of Thought?
>>
>>49646334
There are so many bad ideas about the premise of this deck that I don't want to even begin outlining them. Simply put, this is kitchen table jank at best.
>>
>>49646334
Please have some form of counterspells, if you're going to spend the money to get into Modern, please make sure it works at a fundamental level so you're not wasting money.
>>
>>49646459
There's also going to be Walls of Frost, other shit. I'm just tired of seeing the same decks everywhere, I wanted to make something I could call my own. A guy gave me a Grixis TiTi control to borrow a few months back and my only win on Game Day was a game where I just IoK'd a Bogle player t1 and he scooped and left the venue.
>>
File: b8.jpg (92KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
b8.jpg
92KB, 625x626px
>>49646334
>>
Assuming I don't use Legacy Weapon, I still want some kind of functioning Wall deck. Any ideas?
>>
>>49646585
Don't try to brew if you have 0 fucking idea what you're doing
I bet you think phyrexian obliterator is a good card in modern
>>
>>49646334
I been wanting to make something similar, Coco Walls
Axebanes, Wall of Roots, Overgrown battlement, Perimeter Captain, Wall of Omens, Coco to power out walls.
Then Shaman's Trance to draw a ton of cards, and then hardcast Emrakul by tapping just 2 or 3 Battlements. I don't have the guts or patience to actually put it together.
>>
>>49646552
>I wanted to make something I could call my own.

I assume you do that every day or at least most days already. It's just usually while you're on the toilet.
>>
>>49646585
just play fast mana with utopia sprawl, garruk wildspeaker, genesis wave, orochi leafcaller, amulet of vigor, and door to nothingness
>>
File: 112631.png (81KB, 547x455px) Image search: [Google]
112631.png
81KB, 547x455px
>tfw you Redirect your opponent's removal spell onto their own hexproof creature
>>
>tfw Cathartic reunion into 1 Narcomoeba, 1 Conflagrate and 4 Prized Amalgam, turn 2
>>
>>49646609
Walls also die to removal. What makes you think this would work at all?
>>
>>49647079
Eh, I don't expect it to be particularly good. I just downloaded Xmage so I could goldfish it, because I'm about 184% sure its shit.
>>
>>49646875
Well fuck. I don't mind dropping Legacy Weapon for a door. This looks neat
>>
>>49647137
Fly at er. Didn't mean to come off rude. Just wasn't sure if you we're hoarding some secret wall tech
>>
>>49647137
>literally every card and deck at your disposal
>want to waste your own time playing some absolute tier 300000 shitebrew
what is wrong with you
>>
>>49646334

Don't tell people about it. Build it, play it in casual on xmage. You'll understand why this deck will never ever work in modern, and you'll start to understand how much value you need in single cards and how many different types of decks you need to be prepared for.

>phenax because defenders are amazing mill engines
>modern

yep, learn how to build. I'm sorry, but you're still at the kitchen table level here and you have a lot of learning to do before you're doing anything competently. It's nothing against you; we were all new to competitive at some point. If you have your heart set on certain cards you want to play, get into commander. Otherwise, get used to playing good ones, or learn how to attempt to competently build your jank so it's at least cohesive, has a "viable" game plan and is not more or less laughable.
>>
>>49647191
>Wants to entertain stupid ideas
>Doesn't want to sink money into a stupid idea
Free online is literally the best place to brew
>>
>>49647268

And this is from someone who loves building some of the jankiest jank. But as you learn more, you'll understand when a deck wants or needs to trade cards, how decks can often trade them on command, how you'll hardly ever sit on value permanents in modern, how you can never rely on any cards in hand or in deck so you need to have everything give you your value when it lands or be hard to remove. How dredge can overwhelm you without ever casting any spells, how affinity will come at you with a 9/1 flyer, how Tron can eat your permanents on command starting on 3 (rather than waiting til you have legacy weapon, which by the way you will never have and if you ever resolve it you will never get an activation unless you use it as a finisher in a really grindy game which means you have the deck to support the grindy game, and actually have a wincon)

By the way, most decks that rely on damage to win have ways of actually getting in. Dredge overwhelms you with straight dudes. Affinity evades with protection from all colors or flying. Jund blows up anything that could stop it from getting in.

You're just naĂ¯ve. you'll learn. you'll get jaded to the format, probably, because you can't do the fun things actually you want to do.

Honestly, it does feel very rewarding to brew a deck that turns up results in a competitive environment, though. It's fun to slap together big cards and hope things work, but deck variance and interaction are going to be your silver bullets. I like your gumption. Try and understand why the top decks all work, even though many of them are different. Understand what angles they come from. Try and piece together WHY the cards they use are good (Liliana of the Veil is a big one for this. just analyze it, and then analyze it in Jund context. Understand how a top tier deck rarely turns a bad card into a good card unless the bad card is 100% enabling on its own; the rest of the time, they're turning already good cards into better cards.

/blog
>>
>>49647534
Holy shit you obnoxious fart sniffer. Just stop.
This is the cringiest shit I've read here in awhile. Is class over prof? Gimme a break
>>
>>49647534
>taking the time to write naĂ¯ve
hahahahahahahahaha get your head out of your ass faggot
>>
>>49641008
too bad judges do it literally all the time. My lgs is fine with alters and custom lands as long as they cant be distinguished in a sleeve. You can choose to be a stickler but enjoy being that judge everyone bad mouths behind their back.
>>
File: 1475637795298.jpg (42KB, 320x374px) Image search: [Google]
1475637795298.jpg
42KB, 320x374px
>>49647534
>>
>>49647771
Alters are a different thing.
Custom lands are flatly illegal.
>>
>>49647714

>not thinking about people typing on their phone where it autocorrects it for them
how does it feel to be that naĂ¯ve
>>
>>49648053
>typing all that shit on a phone
how naĂ¯ve do you have to be to think anyone would type all that?
>>
>>49633583
Dude wtf are you on about? The best way to beat miracles is to play a deck that ignores them completely. Like eldrazi.
>>
>>49648065

don't be naĂ¯ve, I literally typed it

for the record I tried to find other words for this post that it would autocorrect accents to like angstrom and it doesnt do it. maybe there are more but I don't know what they are
>>
>>49633132
>stupidly high
Modern decks, while have a high price ceiling (Jund sitting at 2000), have a pretty low floor.
Burn and infect variants can be built for 400 or less.
>>
File: 4557591[1].jpg (69KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
4557591[1].jpg
69KB, 520x678px
>>49648238
>tfw remembering that you paid about $200 to buy Affinity when you got into Modern
>Burn was maybe $170
>Infect was even less

How did it come to this?
>>
>>49648465
Speculators and Investors who use supply and demand + luxury goods arguments to justify bolt costing minimum $2 - $4
>>
>>49632912
The torpor orb one
>>
>>49636327
>turn 2 they play abrupt decay on your counterbalance
what happens then?
>>
>>49639974
>bogles player
fucking deserved it desu
>>
>>49634100
Maybe you could get a late game lok going with counterbalance and academy ruins. It would take time to set up, but you are guarenteed to counter your opponents spells. Maybe it could fit into a thopter sword combo deck. Add gifts ungiven, too.

I dunno, the o dea just came to me. Any suggestions?
>>
>>49644887
He unironically believes that netdecking is wrong and you shouldn't do it
>>
Hey fuccbois,
Looking for a budget modern deck (~$200 range). So far I've been looking at Elves, Living End and Spirits, but I want to know your suggestions. Upgradability and synergy are key things I look for in a deck.
>>
>>49637097
>If we're taking sentences out of context, then your own "completely different sentence" only said "I see nothing about drawing cards here."

He's being memey about the way Bazaar enables Dredge, not literally saying it doesn't draw you cards you autismo.
>>
File: m11.lightning_bolt.full.jpg (180KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
m11.lightning_bolt.full.jpg
180KB, 480x680px
>>49638862
>>
>>49641062
No worries man. Yeah budget is a bitch in this game. Once you have all the removal tools you'll want to invest in some Planeswalkers I think. Good luck brother
>>
File: Consume+Spirit+%5BMRD%5D.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Consume+Spirit+%5BMRD%5D.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>49638862
>>
>>49649000
well used trips. I love that art but Im torn between the classic simple text and the m10 one with the flavor text.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-08-16-dredge

I'm looking for opinions on my Dredge list, mostly to do with the manabse, trying to figure out how to get the manabase to be consistant enough switching to fetch-shock rather than 12 rainbow lands, some salvages and a Shivan Reef.
>>
if you have nothing to be removed,the jund kids will get mad and loose... e a s y control
>>
>Want to build a Goryo's deck for funsies
>Check TCGplayer for the pieces I need
>Breach is $40+
>Goryo's is $30+

What the fuck happened
>>
>>49649207
kamigawa which was super hated is full of the crappiest shit and most expensive cards in modern ..
>>
File: second best demon.png (517KB, 674x280px) Image search: [Google]
second best demon.png
517KB, 674x280px
>>49649052
all my decks run it so i just use both lol
>>
>>49630864

It's basically Curio Elves or Combo Elves with a new line on the combo in the deck.

Contrary to popular belief there's actually 3 Elves archetypes in Modern(CoCo, Curio/Combo and Aggro) and lots of different deck variations within those lists.
>>
>>49648890

Spirits is interesting, wouldn't bother with Living End since it's caught in the Dredge crossfire. Stick with Elves.
>>
>>49649226
>got Kokusho foil from a booster when Kamigawa hit the shops
>sold him for almost 200$

I loved Kamigawa.
>>
>>49649226

It's also full of a bajillion EDH staples
>>
File: 228-600x600.jpg (201KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
228-600x600.jpg
201KB, 600x600px
Making whole deck of wolves and nothing else, give me some recommendations guise pls.
Also no flip cards pls, i hate those god damn things.
Werewolves welcome if they are not flips, like Silverfur Partisan
>>
>>49649989

Silverfur Partisan isn't a werewolf.
>>
>>49649989

Young Wolf and I know you mentioned hating flip cards(believe me I share your sentiment on flip cards) but Kessig Prowler is your 2/1 one drop Wolf/Werewolf guy.
>>
>>49649989
Why not just make agro deck on Wolfs?

Way more potential, unless you want a casual deck.
>>
>>49636920
The joke is that Countertop wouldn't magically break Modern. It's not broken in Legacy and would be worse here because of a bigger CMC spread.
>>
So many Walls aren't the best idea. But I've got lands for UG out my ass, is there something in the format I can play besides Infect?
>>
>>49651226

BtL Scapeshift
>>
Any merfolk player here? When should the deck be more aimed to tempo plays with vapor snags & remands and when it should be more counterspell heavy with spell pierces or negates?
>>
>>49649226

>play loads of Limited in the Kamigawa era
>never get a Sensei's Divining Top, Jitte, got one Through the Breach, no Goryo's Revenge

Oh but I have all the Akki Underminers, Bloodthirsty Ogres, and Sires of the Storm you could ever freaking want!

At least I managed to get a good chunk of Ghostly Prisons, but I don't think any decent modern deck plays them, plus they just got reprinted anyways.
>>
>>49648610

>Remember paying 5 cents for my bolts when I fished them out of the common bin at my LGS

How times have changed.
>>
>>49648890
mono white prison
>>
>>49651699
I have some foil bolts I bought for $1 each, and I was paying a premium at the time.
>>
>>49651699
I remember buying hierarchs for 15 a piece, and I thought that was bad
I think I put together all of infect for under 150$ back then when it was considered a lot more crappy
>>
>>49651226
RUG Delver
>>
>>49652418
>4x Tarmogoyf
Jesus Christ what is going on here
>>
>>49651226
UGx is pretty bad in modern
>>
>>49652754
Actually I believe it's pretty good. The problem is jund is insanely powerful. Like what the fuck. Stop with the gbx shit
>>
>>49652889
It's not though, it doesn't have enough good stuff. Maybe if shardless was in modern.
>>
>>49652889

but anon jund is a fair deck it dinndu nuffin its not its fault it has the best creatures, removal, and planeswalker
>>
>>49652912
>everything must be good stuff midrange
>>
>>49652928
That's generally what's mean by XXx decks. In any case, it's not like UGx any other non-infect is any good either, be in mid range, aggro, control or combo. They've got infect and that's about it.
>>
>>49652889
UGx is just a worse version of the various other colour combinations.

If you want to play aggro, play Naya. If you want to play midrange, play Jund, Mardu or Abzan. If you want to play control, play Grixis or Jeskai.
>>
>>49652912
>it doesn't have enough good stuff.

It's literally the "jam all the most expensive cards of the format" deck
>>
>>49652956
>>49653011
Not even him but tempo is a thing.
Also, not saying is great but rug eternal command won a big tourney a few months back. It just needs one or two pushed temur cards
>>
>>49653135
Eternal Command's problem is the existence of Jund. Decay your Vial, Thoughtseize your Witness, etc.
>>
>>49653681
Okay. Then he's down the same amount of cards and I have goyfs to slam as well.

Having a bad matchup against jund isn't going to completely ruin a deck
>>
Yuo can vines an enemy spellskite to stop it from taking your buffs right?
I'm not crazy, right?
>>
>>49653858
they can just reactivate it
>>
>>49653889
Doesn't vines last until the turn ends? I used vines during my main and then with nothing on the stack I used Might and he took it
I remember being taught this interaction but I don't remember if he told me that interaction worked in my favor or not
>>
>>49653913
oh, yeah. But that still doesn't work, vines doesn't give hexproof, it says 'Target creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control this turn'. so they can still take your buffs.
>>
>>49653945
But I control the buffs, right?
Alternatively, that means that I can blossoming defense a skite to keep it from taking my buffs then right? This interaction never made sense to me
>>
>>49653970
yeah blooming defense works. they're your buffs, but since vines means the creature can't be the target of your (the infect player's) opponent's spells, so they can still be the target of your spells.
>>
>>49648890
elves can be built a variety of ways
>>
>>49654100
But mono G with the hoof is the only correct way
>>
>>49636893
Go read the fucking oracle text holy shit
>>
>>49654233
BG Is better in modern. You don't have cradle to be able to go off as consistently.
>>
File: 10.jpg (87KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
87KB, 312x445px
I have fish put together. Is there a good deck that shares parts, or do i just start buying jund?
>>
>>49654961
With the exception of Vial, Mutavault and Dismembers, there's not a lot of stuff not exclusive to Merfolk lad, what were you thinking?
>>
>>49654961
>Or do i just start buying jund?
why jund? It isn't even the best deck in Modern
>>
>>49654961
>Is there a good deck that shares parts

The easy thing to do is buy decks where most of the expense is in the lands, because lands get spread around. Outside of Guides, Burn barely costs anything after you have the lands. Infect is a similar story, only the money cards are Hierarchs. Dredge is in a comparable situation, where all your money is in Bloodghasts.
>>
Haven't played Magic in yonks, had a casual interest around the release of Theros. Wanna get into Modern because spending a whole load of money in one go is a lot more attractive to me than trying to keep up with Standard. Plus the bigger card pool is appealing, even if the meta isn't too varied.

I have a shit-tier ultra-budget UR Delver deck I made out of the remnants of my casual collection, some crap the guys at my FLGS gave me for free or close enough, and one or two choice purchases that I can slot into whatever I end up making. Intend on going down to Modern night at said store for the next couple weeks with it to get bopped and hopefully get a feel for the format and local meta.

Anyone have any tips, good jumping-off points, general info for a new player looking to get into competitive Modern?
>>
File: DSC_0012.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0012.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>49655139
>u/r delver
Build this
>>
I haven't played in a few years, is Affinity still fine or am I fucked from all sorts of goofy new hate?
>>
>>49655139
>Anyone have any tips, good jumping-off points, general info for a new player looking to get into competitive Modern?

The best advice is simple:
Buy lands. If you're willing to spend money, lands are more important than anything else. They're the framework that decks are built on. Khans of Tarkir fetches are still at a reasonably low point, so grab a playset.
>>
>>49655210
Affinity is still completely fine, and it's barely change in years. It's one of the most stable decks in the format, pretty much only switching between Red with Galvanic or Blue with Thoughtcast as the meta demands it.
>>
File: Ceremonious-Rejection.png (167KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Ceremonious-Rejection.png
167KB, 265x370px
>>49655210
Affinity gets hate from all colors, but it's still solid afaik
>>
>>49655225
>Buy lands
This. Pick your colour combo and commit
>>
>>49655201

yeah that should only run me up another few hundred quid, perfectly reasonable for a starter deck to relearn the game with while I decide what I really wanna play

Seriously though, I do think I'll end up adding to what I have to build my first real deck. Tempo is looking fun so far, and Blood Moon is such a cool card.
>>
File: stony silence.jpg (59KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
stony silence.jpg
59KB, 480x680px
>>49655210
>>49655269
you probably already know about Ancient Grudge, Vandalblast, Hurkyl's Recall, and Disenchant, but there are a couple more tricks that have been added
>>
>>49655291
Tempo is great. Don't be a midrange mouth breather, friend

Don't let the haters get you down on moon either, it's dank.
>>
>>49655266
>>49655269
>>49655315
Fuck yes, so I'm not screwed. College just sucked up all my free time and I haven't used the thing in ages. Thanks for the help /tg/, you're peaches and cream.
>>
>>49655201
>that sideboard
You're a fuckin cheeky cunt.
>>
>>49655354
Cheers, good luck brother
>>
>>49655210
With all the "win the game" cards.vs Affinity you have no business consistently winning 2 sb games vs basically anyone, the people who top events are just lucky and proof of the law of large numbers.
>>
>>49655225

I have most of the Tarkir fetches (missing a Wooded Foothills atm). Looking at shock lands or check lands next, is this advisable? Are better lands better by enough to justify prioritising them?

Oh, and Zendikar fetches are a little out of my reach at the minute. But I'm really feeling UR. Will I be able to get by with check and shock lands? Are there better lands I'm missing that won't sting as much as old fetches?
>>
>>49655524
Most of the time though, you need to draw those cards to have a shot at winning vs affinity.
>>
>>49655278
I just want a UG that has a playset of Unexpected Results. Any ideas?
>>
>>49655675
I ran into someone running a RUG breach/trap deck with unexpected results
it was like a year ago but it worked
>>
>>49655546
>Looking at shock lands or check lands next, is this advisable?

Shocks? Yes.
Checks? No.

Checklands are almost entirely unplayed, whereas Shocks are the entire point of having Fetches.
>>
>>49655730
What would that consist of?
>>
>>49655751
Cool cool, will keep that in mind. Thanks for all the help /tg/.
>>
>>49655868
It was basically a RUG control deck but it also ran a bunch of emrakul's and tried to pump them out as quickly as possible
it also ran sakura tribe elders, so there's that
>>
>>49655662
Not the case with decks that are already favored g1 (Infect, Ad Nauseam, Jund, anything with a playset of Bolt and Path).
>>
>>49655908
I found a RG list, I'm just trying to find where to put blue. I love what I see
>>
>>49654961

Jund is kinda in a bad position as Junk got a hell of alot better thanks to the new enemy fastlands.
>>
>>49650107
>Kessig Prowler is your 2/1 one drop Wolf/Werewolf guy.
god damn why do they have to make them flip, at least they could be on one side, half card per picture like they sometimes did
>>
>>49655210

Affinity is still alright. It's worst deck matchup is the sideboard.
>>
>>49656909

Dude I hear you, I absolutely loathe DFC cards.
>>
>>49655952
>Jund
>favored game one
Lol, nigga what? I shit on Jund all day. I got like an 80% winrate against Jund G1.
Also, I disagree on Ad Nauseam. They do get better postboard, though as do every deck. Ad Nauseam is a T4 deck as is Affinity, so it's most based on who is OTP. Affinity is still one of the best decks in Modern and has among the best game one win %s of most decks. it usually has to steal games postboard but it averages out to where Affinity is still favored overall against the vast majority of the field.
>>
>>49656909
>at least they could be on one side, half card per picture like they sometimes did

Because those were kinda shit.
>>
>>49657263
better than flip though. if flip is shit then those were half a shit
>>
>>49657504
Why? You're bitching for no reason
It's a good mechanic
>>
File: Ulrich.png (288KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ulrich.png
288KB, 375x523px
>>49657504
This is the monstrosity you claim to want.
>>
>>49657743
it sucks that i had to take out card out of the sleeve turn it around and then put it back, and after the game i have to do the same. it's annoying.
I like the transformation mechanic but i don't like how it works with physical cards.
>>
>>49657774

it's beautiful
>>
>>49657909
>not just taking it out halfway and fliping it.
I can't be the only that do this right?
>>
>>49657774
Magnum Opus
>>
>>49657909
Oh my God. You poor baby.
>>
>>49656909
>>49657504
>709.4. Flipping a permanent is a one-way process. Once a permanent is flipped, it’s impossible for it to become unflipped. However, if a flipped permanent leaves the battlefield, it retains no memory of its status. See rule 110.6.

Aside from the aesthetic issues with Flip cards, the other reason for not using them is that they would rather write new rules than rewrite old ones.
>>
>>49657909
Get extra copies of the flipcards, put them in the flipmode and have them close just to switch.
>>
>>49658065
many werewolf cards literally flip both ways.
if no spells were cast during the turn it gets transformed into werewolf. if 2 or more spells were cast during the turn it goes back to human form.
here you have an example
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=227409
>>
>>49658112
The flip in question is a kamigawa flip. The flip you're thinking of is a 'transform'
>>
>>49658242
guess that was the source of confusion, "transforming" cards is a chore
>>
>>49657909
Why don''t you just use checklist cards and put your real card in clear sleeves?
>>
>>49657774
lol that's great mate
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.