[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star trek general /STG/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 78

File: For the federation!.jpg (32KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
For the federation!.jpg
32KB, 615x461px
Redshirt edition.

Previous thread >>49578976

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>http://www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>http://www.onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>http://www.ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>http://www.stdimension.org/int/
>>
>>49626142
First for /btg/ crossposting in /stg/. Feels good to know that I'm in the two best generals on the board.
>>
>>49626142
So what's the point of the big phaser rifle if the little remote control phasers can disintegrate people and melt rock walls?
>>
>>49626685
Rapid fire, as well as longer range.
>>
It's always bugged me how quickly the Federation and Klingons buddied up before the dominion war. The Klingons do some pretty messed up shit to Federation civilians, not to mention destroying dozens of ships. And they're proud of it too. I get that that's the Klingons whole shtick, they just want to fight and tell stories about how heroic it was. But if I was a Starfleet officer, just months after the Klingons butchered some of my peers for shits and giggles, I wouldn't trust the fuckers for a second. Sure, they might be on the same side, I just don't buy that the Feds are willing to let that sort of thing go so easily.
>>
>>49628044
That's part of the problem with the Federation and partially why the Maquis exist. The Federation will shit on minority portion of its people it they can make friends with the enemy because they can feel good about that. No one gives a shit about faceless podunk joe that was gutted by a Klingon hoard that arrived in the middle of his colonoscopy.
>>
>>49626685
Better sustained fire (larger charge), more power vs things with forcefields.

>>49628044
me either.
>>
File: PHASR-phaser-rifle.jpg (23KB, 249x350px) Image search: [Google]
PHASR-phaser-rifle.jpg
23KB, 249x350px
>>49626685
Letting everyone know you mean SERIOUS BUSINESS. As well as looking dashing.
>>
>>49626685
Rifles have better range, hold more charges, and can break through hardened materials (23rd century fortifications are built of stuff considerably tougher than rock). But there's a reason why you don't see them very often - for shipboard security the hand phaser and phaser pistol are usually sufficient, phaser rifles are only standard equipment for the marines.
>>
>>49626685
Also perhaps more stability and accuracy when shooting. Larger power reserve, more powerful beams. Oh and...phaser rifles had sixteen power settings, fully-autonomous recharge capability, multiple-target acquisition, and gyro-stabilization. Also, More advanced phaser rifles capable of firing phaser bolts as well as the standard beam were also used in the 2370s. These rifles had a pistol grip in back and either an underbarrel grip or a second vertical grip underneath the barrel (similar to conventional firearms of times past), and were capable of being modified with various types of scopes, barrels and power cells. The rifle variant with the underbarrel grip was used during zero-gravity EVA-operations in the Borg incident of 2373/2063. This variant was also able to be magnetized against a surface, further proving its usefulness in zero-gravity environments.
>>
Theory requesting time, /stg/:

How would a Klingon warrior with Bat'leth fare against, say, his physical equal armed with the likes of a short sword and a large body shield, ala a Roman Scutum, one-v-one?

What about a bunch of Klingons with Bat'leth against an actual Roman Legion? Bat'leth seem like they're absolutely fucktrocious weapons for formation fighting what with all the wide sweeps and spins and such. (We'll assume the possibility that the Klingons have missile weapons if we also ignore the Roman's auxillaries; also no non-muscle powered technology, nothing that a blacksmith forging steel couldn't make.)
>>
>>49630380
Against Romans? Fucked even with their redundant organs and extra armored skeleton.

That is if ancient Klingons are like post-Praxis Klingons. Personally, and this is because I prefer the Klingons being Russians, I would think they would be a riding animal culture, and thus would annihilate the Romans like the Scythians.

But, that is unlikely.
>>
File: Charlene.jpg (46KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
Charlene.jpg
46KB, 560x420px
>>49626685
This post is going to get pretty /k/, so please bear with me.

There are a number of ergonomic and psychological reasons why you'd want a stocked &/or 2-handed phaser weapon even if there was no increase in range, firepower, or extra functionalities. First and foremost, ranged weapons with a stock are much easier to shoot accurately. You might argue that built-in sensors and targeting give redshirts UFP flavored aimbot, but what happens when the alien horror you're fighting doesn't conform to a known profile? 2) Trainees and sidearms area messy combination. Accident rates for pistols is 10+ times that for longarms. It takes a lot of time to become safe and effective with pistol type arms. If most of your enlisted folks are beaker-heads and tricorder-jockeys, everyone will be better off with phasers that are harder to self-vaporise with. 3) A two-handed weapon sans sling enforces an aggressive readiness on recalcitrant mooks. A type 1 or 2 phaser has a holster and you can bet it'll still be in that holster when you get ambushed by randy Klingons. The phaser rifle has no holster. Assuming you don't let your shirking, good-for-nothing away team members set it down, it will be in hand as they get slaughtered in melee combat but the panic-fire might just take down enough warriors for your subsequent plan to work.
>>
>>49630380
Bat'leths aren't really great as a formation weapon. More likely you'd see Mek'leths and some form of buckler type shield if the Klingons were mobilizing as a melee army.
>>
>>49628044
>I just don't buy that the Feds are willing to let that sort of thing go so easily.
perhaps they don't, and what you end up seeing isn't as tense because the characters don't have a personal stake in it
>>
>>49630727
>Bat'leths aren't really great as a formation weapon
Bat'leths are a failure as a weapon, period. It's a solidification of the SPIKEY BITS INDICATES MEAN trope
>>
>>49630743
According to the guy who was responsible for developing the fighting style for it, using a bat'leth is all about deflecting hits and disarming your opponent. Then killing them. Which is hilarious to my mind, since everyone know honor is all about killing defenseless opponents.
>>
>>49630778
For every klingon except worf, "honor" is a highly malleable concept
>>
>>49630727
That was my point, really: I was brainstorming a bunch of Dominon-war era Kingons who have a lot of experience with MUH HONOR DUELS and boarding actions against Feddies and other types who don't habitually carry or practice with melee weapons AT ALL forced into a melee-only confrontation with an army of "those soft pinkskins" who actually made their living using gladii and scutum to subjugate the living fuck out of people who had no interest in being subjugated, who fight as a team in formation.

Even if they tried to fight in formation, it would be ridiculously loose and easy to drive through, or they'd be as much of a threat to the warrior next to them as they would be to the enemy in front of them.
>>
>>49630778

For the klingons, victory is honor.

This idea of "personal honor" is a pretty modern one. Klingons (and most historical human beings) counted honor by how their peers perceived them, therefore "external honor".

Worf is a klingaboo who has a very human idea of personal honor. He won't do things he considers dishonorable, even though actual klingons think that so long as they get away with it, gaining victory by any means necessary is perfectly okay.

Blowing up unarmed refugee vessels and claiming it was a Cardie armada? Perfectly fine.

Getting caught blowing up Cardie refugee vessels? Not fine. Not fine at all.

And when someone calls you out on it, you kill them. Via challenge by combat, no one can now doubt your words. It truly was a glorious fight against that Cardie armada!

(and mind you, you can't back down from a challenge to your honor - it's cowardly, definitely dishonorable)
>>
>>49630871
>And when someone calls you out on it, you kill them. Via challenge by combat, no one can now doubt your words. It truly was a glorious fight against that Cardie armada!
>(and mind you, you can't back down from a challenge to your honor - it's cowardly, definitely dishonorable)

Don't forget the Quark clause, though: standing ready to be executed by someone who challenged your calling them out on it, because you're right about the facts and know you won't win the fight, is the Klingon jurisprudence version of Summon Bigger Fish. See also: The House of Quark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65l7RHUx2A

Quark should have stayed married to Grillka. She was a Klingon QT2.13 badass.
>>
>>49630835
Yeah, but you're more likely to see shipboard Klingons using Mek'leths and d'k tahgs, rather than full sized bat'leths. Just saying.

You just want excuse bring a Roman planet in space into the Federation, don't you?
>>
>>49630892

Quark called them on their hypocrisy, and Gowron would have looked weak if he'd allowed Quark to be slain - and moreover, the klingon who was fixing to kill him was an idiot if he couldn't see how badly his reputation and honor would be stained by gaining Grilka's house via killing an unarmed alien in view of the High Council. He probably wouldn't have lived through the night.

I would totally marry a klingon. I agree that Quark should have stayed married to her, if for no other reason than Quark could have made stacks of latinum through his now iron-clad contact with a klingon house headed by someone as clever as he is.
>>
File: koloth_n_kang.jpg (21KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
koloth_n_kang.jpg
21KB, 320x240px
>>49630743
>>49630778
So its a big, scary hunk of metal that's good for frightening a bunch of pajama wearing space-Marxists. Sounds perfectly suited to the Klingons' needs, a terror weapon for boarding actions that looks awesome on the armory wall when they aren't out coup-de-gracing honorless scrubs.
>>
>>49630909
>Yeah, but you're more likely to see shipboard Klingons using Mek'leths and d'k tahgs, rather than full sized bat'leths. Just saying.
They do seem to go for Bat'leths more than anything else, really. Mek'leth would be more practical for use in formation fighting, but still not very practical - it's a slashing, hacking weapon, not a thrusting one. The d'k tahg is a knife, basically - it can be used for thrusting, but it's going to be at a range disadvantage against even a gladius, notwithstanding the fact that Romans like to use their gladii next to giant fuck-off body shields that are going to deflect even a Klingon-wielded Mek'leth or d'k tahg.

Actually, I was more thinking of a post-Dominion-War pack of Klingons on a starbase, going on and on about how yes, the Feddies were, ultimately, right, and the Dominion, not the Federation, was the real enemy, but that doesn't change the fact that they're all SOFT and cannot into melee. They then boast that any Klingon is worth five humans, and get challenged on it - cue twenty - nah, we'll be generous, forty - Klingon warriors finding themselves in a gigantic holodeck to face a hundred Roman legionnaires.
>>
The Dominion has the best aesthetic of all the factions. Fight me, faggots.

Why the hell is it so hard to find high-res renders of their ships?
>>
>>49630932
>Quark called them on their hypocrisy, and Gowron would have looked weak if he'd allowed Quark to be slain - and moreover, the klingon who was fixing to kill him was an idiot if he couldn't see how badly his reputation and honor would be stained by gaining Grilka's house via killing an unarmed alien in view of the High Council. He probably wouldn't have lived through the night.

Grillka would have killed him herself by way of vengeance for her husband, Quark.
But yeah, that guy WAS a greedy idiot - which is a shame, because a general who understands economics and knows how to apply force to someone's economy will be able to win wars, whilst a general whose only trick is "use fleet on fleet" can only win battles - if he's lucky. Which he won't be, when the other guy's economy has snowballed to the point that they're able to "use fleet & fleet & fleet & fleet & fleet & fleet & fleet & fleet & fleet & fleet & fleet on fleet"

>>49630932
>I would totally marry a klingon. I agree that Quark should have stayed married to her, if for no other reason than Quark could have made stacks of latinum through his now iron-clad contact with a klingon house headed by someone as clever as he is.
Not to mention that Klingon and Ferengi cuisine has a lot in common, and "Brunt, FCA!" would have been a lot more toothless if Quark could snap his fingers and six Klingon bouncers that Brunt assumed were customers surround Brunt and his two Naussican goons, and he can smug back "Quark, House of Quark."
Also Grillka is one canny, clever, conniving bitch who knows how to play xanatos speed chess with the best of them - as evidenced by marrying Quark as her countermove to dickhead's insistence that her first husband died honorably at Quark's hand in battle.
>>
>>49631016
Meh. I like Federation ships, pre- and post-ToS. Movie TOS is great, ENT is actually great (I'll cut you if you disagree,) TNG is great.
>>
>>49630990
>Mek'leth would be more practical for use in formation fighting, but still not very practical - it's a slashing, hacking weapon, not a thrusting one.
I thought you were going for a "boarding party beams on to the USS GNAEVS POMPEIVS MAGNVS with hand weapons and finds Centurion Marcus and his Security Legionnaires," so I was thinking of weapons that would actually useful in tight corridors, which a bat'leth is not. If it's a field fight, then yeah bat'leths, and the Klingons would probably get cut down. Their culture doesn't seem to be about fighting for the whole as it might have been during Kahless's day.

Holy shit, now I want to create a fleet based on this. And I'm already trying to write up my "Dominion War Era mothball fleet" stuff for /stg/.

>>49631016
Purple is my favorite color, but the Jem'Hadar ship designs don't feel like they fit the species' aesthetic, like the Founders just grabbed ships that worked and shoved them into their warriors' hands.
>>
>>49631089
>Holy shit, now I want to create a fleet based on this. And I'm already trying to write up my "Dominion War Era mothball fleet" stuff for /stg/.

Are you the anon who came up with the idea of the Dominion War being fought mainly by remobilized Mirandas upgunned into glass cannons with neglected shields because 23rd or 24th century shields didn't really make any difference against the Borg (but definitely would have Vs. the Dominion?)
Because I'm totally using that as headcanon, and the backstory for the idea I have in mind for this crazy harebrained scheme I have to run a Deciphertrek game.

>Purple is my favorite color, but the Jem'Hadar ship designs don't feel like they fit the species' aesthetic, like the Founders just grabbed ships that worked and shoved them into their warriors' hands.
That... That could well be exactly what happened, in all frank honesty. That seems very like the Dominion - just gank the best hulls and weapons their engineers can make work together, throw the Jem'hadar aboard don't give a fuck how it looks.

So if they'd won, you might later see Jem'hadar cruising around the Gamma Quadrant in purple-painted knock-offs of Galaxies, Defiants and Sovereigns.

I wonder: do you think with the clusterfluffle that was the end of the Dominion War, any large numbers of Vorta got stranded in the Alpha quadrant? I'm thinking like, by the era of STO, could you see Vorta who have never held any alliegance to the Dominion working in Starfleet?
>>
File: calltoarms_502.jpg (73KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
calltoarms_502.jpg
73KB, 692x530px
>>49631056
Enjoy getting your toothpick nacelle struts blown off.

If I had to pick, NX-01 or Sovereign would be my favorite designs too.

>>49631089
Yeah, it's the purple glow that does it for me. And the idea of a headset that shows outside in 3d instead of a viewscreen is brilliant.

Well, the Founders wouldn't need ships, as they can fly in space themselves. And they seem a bit too self-absorbed to be designing ships for their forces, anyway. Perhaps the ships are all designed by the Vorta?
>>
>>49631183
>And the idea of a headset that shows outside in 3d instead of a viewscreen is brilliant.
I once upon a crazy harebrained scheme found myself writing a Star Trek self-insert fanfic in which I found myself aboard the Enterprise (NCC 1701-D) during its final days. Long-term plans included introducing augmented reality to the setting.
>>
>>49631180
>Are you the anon who came up with
Yeah, I just don't want to namefag in two threads. I'm building a theoretical TO&E for how those old ships would be deployed at the moment.

>I wonder: do you think with the clusterfluffle that was the end of the Dominion War, any large numbers of Vorta got stranded in the Alpha quadrant? I'm thinking like, by the era of STO, could you see Vorta who have never held any alliegance to the Dominion working in Starfleet?
Probably not. The only cloning facilities were in Cardassian space, and even with the civilian Detapa Council, I doubt the pragmatic Cardassians would leave a potential threat there. I'd hope Iggy Pop Vorta would show up again though.

>>49631183
>And the idea of a headset that shows outside in 3d instead of a viewscreen is brilliant.
I've always been uncomfortable with how small the control panels are for everyone, with little to no separate screens for crewman, forcing them use the main viewer for reference. The 3d HUD would probably be a bit much, but I'd give the Primary Flight Controller and Ops (the two forward consoles on the Ent-D) and Tactical their own full sized screens to use. Plus a damn chair for Worf, holy shit.
>>
>>49630932
>I would totally marry a klingon. I agree that Quark should have stayed married to her, if for no other reason than Quark could have made stacks of latinum through his now iron-clad contact with a klingon house headed by someone as clever as he is.

Addendum:
https://youtu.be/ilNBC36v-qI?t=5m15s

That is all.
>>
>>49631270

This is exactly why Quark would stay OUT of the Empire (for the most part) and let Grilka handle things on that side of the business.

The poor bastard is a magnet for punishment.
>>
>>49630871
>Worf is a klingaboo who has a very human idea of personal honor.
That moment when you realise Worf got the 24th century equivalent of some white parents adopting a black kid, and teaching him how 'his people' should behave based on stereotypes they'd seen on tv.

"Now Worf, threaten to kill people a lot, and hold your disruptor sideways."
>>
>>49631263
>Yeah, I just don't want to namefag in two threads. I'm building a theoretical TO&E for how those old ships would be deployed at the moment.

My thinking is that, after the Dominion War, Federation has won but is desperately low on hulls. They're out of Mirandas that don't need actual shipyard time or aren't in current service - any Miranda left in the boneyards is going to be one that was damaged so badly it was easier to lay her to rest and reactivate/refit another one.
So now they're pulling the lesser-known, built-primarily-to-fight-the-war-that-never-happened classes, like the Akula and Loknar, out of the boneyards, and taking the time to give them a PROPER refit, including shields.

>Probably not. The only cloning facilities were in Cardassian space, and even with the civilian Detapa Council, I doubt the pragmatic Cardassians would leave a potential threat there. I'd hope Iggy Pop Vorta would show up again though.

Yes, but any Vorta who wound up under Federation jurisdiction - and I imagine an awful lot of them would have preferred to surrender to the Federation than the Cardassian Union - would thereafter be someone the Federation has a duty of care for - said duty of care ensuring their reproductive rights.
>>
File: bridge_annotated01.jpg (92KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
bridge_annotated01.jpg
92KB, 800x449px
>I've always been uncomfortable with how small the control panels are for everyone, with little to no separate screens for crewman, forcing them use the main viewer for reference. The 3d HUD would probably be a bit much, but I'd give the Primary Flight Controller and Ops (the two forward consoles on the Ent-D) and Tactical their own full sized screens to use. Plus a damn chair for Worf, holy shit.

Agreed, though I think the inference is that most people's displays are on their consoles. But yeah, a more heads-up display would help.
For Worf, I'm not so sure. He seems to be the kind of guy who likes to work on his feet, and he doubles as bridge security, so it is in theory part of his job to be on his feet. (In practice, his job is to draw his phaser, growl something authoritative, and get his ass handed to him to show the viewers that this threat means business.)

You could definitely use some kind of additional heads-up display for the Tactical station, though. Preferably something that does not shatter, because if it shatters, it's raining down on Jean-Luc's head... But yeah, the Enterprise bridge is not a very well-designed bridge for operating a starship, it's a well-designed bridge for looking good on TV/on the viewscreen.
Pic related: A bridge which was actually designed for operating a starship, and a literal shipload of sexy space elves in need of the James T. Kirk treatment.

>>49631335
I know, right? I'm pretty sure the only persons on the station who haven't physically assaulted Quark are Molly O'Brien and Jake Sisko.
>>
>>49631183
Wait what, the founders can fly in space? I guess I have not gotten that far, but dayum.
>>
>>49631361
I'd actually gone with the idea that they weren't just pulling Mirandas out of storage, but damn near anything with a warp core and a good weapons package, with the Mirandas we see on screen most of the time there because it's cheaper to animate dozens of the same six ships, rather than dozens of individual ships. Go with what works for your own headcanon though. I just like the idea of old Enterprise, Akula and Loknar class ships hauled out of storage for one last time to save the Federation, rather than ending up as fleet filler in a post war environment.

>Yes, but any Vorta who wound up under Federation jurisdiction
I'd imagine most of them were repatriated to the Dominion simply as a peace making gesture, but imagine Vorta art and food critics. And investigative journalists. Weyoun in a blue suit, anyone?

>>49631407
>Agreed, though I think the inference is that most people's displays are on their consoles. But yeah, a more heads-up display would help.
The few times we see the flight controller's station on screen the display is about the size of a large cell phone screen, say about 4-6 inches. I'd be leery as fuck about trying to pull into space dock on something that small.

>For Worf, I'm not so sure
Right, but not everyone is Worf, and the wishbone tactical railing is standard on the Galaxy class, with no chair. And you've got to remember that these are 6 hour shifts where you're literally standing in one spot, for when you're not a Klingon who thinks painstiks are toys.
>>
>>49630932
Yeah, it was a context thing. The fact that Whatsisname was willing to just murder Quark, who wasn't able or willing to fight back, a pathetic Ferengi half his size, in front of everybody, while sneering about it?

That suggested he really was the honorless p'taq that the Ferengi and Grilka had been claiming he was, and unworthy of being the head of a Great House, let alone a Klingon.

If he'd just had Quark killed before the duel, or killed him before he could throw his weapon away and make his speech, he might've gotten away with it, too.
>>
So I finished watching DS9 and...
... it just kind of ends. Rather suddenly.

The Breen are barely even there except right at the very end, the Dominion War itself wasn't even 1/4 of the plots, and I suspect Vic fucking Fontaine got more screentime than Dukat (who just jumps the fucking shark like three times in the final season actually they both kind of do)

What the fuck

The Borg have gotten 100x more screentime in Star Trek than any of the unique parts of the DS9 setting, and the Borg are really fucking boring by comparison.
>>
>>49631515
>>The Breen are barely even there except right at the very end,
It's a shame, because the Breen are the most interesting faction in Trek, second to the Cardassians.
>>
>>49631515
The Dominion War was less the focus of the show and more a catalyst for events. Dukat's actions are magnified by happening across the backdrop of the war, since the loss of Jadzia prompts Worf to do what he does, and the Dominion itself is a dark mirror to the Federation, with Humanity and the Founders holding roughly equal positions in their respective organizations. This is a crisis of faith to the egalitarian Federation's ideals. The show ends where it does because showing the Federation rebuilding would take up seven seasons all on its own.

>The Breen are barely even there except right at the very end
A species developed solely so it wasn't all Cardies and the Dominion, apparently. A way to show the "Anti-Federation" of the Dominion at work.

>>49631537
I like the novels' idea that the Breen aren't one race, so much as many species who wear the suits to protect their Confederation's secrets. Fascinating idea.
>>
File: Sloan.jpg (76KB, 582x530px) Image search: [Google]
Sloan.jpg
76KB, 582x530px
>Not being a true patriot
>>
>>49631501
>but damn near anything with a warp core and a good weapons package

To me, it makes the most sense if they were pulling out the Mirandas first.
Remember, the Miranda has been in active service, they have refit crews who know how to take a Miranda manufactured any time from the 2370s to the 2440s and bring them up to modern spec - same with any Excelsiors. Meanwhile, pulling out a Constitution, let alone a Loknar, Akula, Abbé, etc, is risky AF. They MIGHT be able to lay their hands on like, six Vulcan engineers who have hands-on experience working aboard/wrenching on that class of ship from eighty years ago, but those guys are either teaching at SFA, teaching at the VSA, or are active-duty command-level personnel. You'd need to get them together and have them spend monthsjust developing the refit procedures for the old class.

To bring an old ship up to spec, instead of, say, just use her as a warp-powered torpedo, you'd need to rip her up and give her a huge overhaul. You CAN do that with a ship that the refit crew isn't intimately familiar with, but it's going to be a lot slower than if they're dancing to the tune of a song they know well - IE, the Miranda.

>I'd imagine most of them were repatriated to the Dominion simply as a peace making gesture, but imagine Vorta art and food critics. And investigative journalists. Weyoun in a blue suit, anyone?
Depends on if they asked, though frankly the Feddies can sometimes seem bipolar with their ethics - they're super-ethical, but sometimes send people to face the "justice" of people who, frankly, Canada wouldn't extradite to.

>The few times we see the flight controller's station on screen
Yeaaaah... They didn't really put all that much thought into how things worked from an in-universe PoV.
>>
>>49631501
>Right, but not everyone is Worf,
Granted, but the wishbone station is also huge compared to one person. I'd imagine on most ships, there's two officers trading off standing the post and the other is sitting behind that guy. Not only does this mean they're getting a healthier standing/sitting workplace environment, but you've got two guys on the guns.
>>
File: loriss.png (784KB, 623x859px) Image search: [Google]
loriss.png
784KB, 623x859px
>>49631180
>could you see Vorta who have never held any alliegance to the Dominion working in Starfleet?
Hope so, they're super cute. I thought you could recruit some or make a vorta character in STO?

I was initially going to go with no, they lack reproductive capabilities, but >>49631361
>liberals in spaaaaaace
Yeah, maybe. Still, I have a hard time believing there aren't hard feelings after the war and they'd just want to get rid of them. The Vorta probably wouldn't be too happy without serving their gods, either. Maybe there are some who could transfer their loyalty. Shrug? I think you could fluff it either way.

>>49631501
>Vorta art and food critics
Haha, would make pretty shitty food critics without a sense of taste.
>"The texture on this food is fuzzy, yet turns smooth as it warms in your mouth"
I think I just grossed myself out.

>>49631452
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Laas_as_spacefaring_lifeform.jpg
Yep.
>>
>>49631785
>Hope so, they're super cute.
Yeah, that was my thought, too. Fuck the Jem'Hadar, but we'll keep the Vorta.

>Yeah, maybe. Still, I have a hard time believing there aren't hard feelings after the war and they'd just want to get rid of them.
Look at it this way: if the Federation is willing to not seek justice for Starfleet personnel whom Klingon warriors LITERALLY tore the throats out of, then Vorta, who are largely administrators, diplomats (such as "just do what we tell you and the Jem'Hadar won't subjugate you the hard way" passes for Dominion diplomacy,) and support personnel should very easily find bygones within the Federation.

>The Vorta probably wouldn't be too happy without serving their gods, either.
One of the Weyouns tried to defect, they're not all brainwashed and crazy.

>Haha, would make pretty shitty food critics without a sense of taste.
No sense of taste? Gah! That sounds awful!
Maybe... Headcanon time. Vorta clearly are supposed to have a sense of taste, but the Founders switched it off as irrelevant. Easily enough switched back on.
>>
>>49631695
>To me, it makes the most sense if they were pulling out the Mirandas first.
Certainly, but for my own stuff, I'd written up that the Feds had basically emptied their mothballed ship supply for the war. I do agree that the most reliable hull would be first out of the gate, but as fast as the Mirandas went down, they'd need replacing. That does pose a good question though. We know the Defiant class has a crew of 50, but what about these larger ships? Are they running full crews? What kind of captain could condone sending the 1000 crew of his Galaxy class into combat, with maybe a third of that would be necessary?

>Meanwhile, pulling out a Constitution, let alone a Loknar, Akula, Abbé, etc, is risky AF.
I'd disagree, if only because of how much of the fleet looked like it was standardizing in the 2270s and 80s. Assuming they all followed the basic internal planning of every Starfleet ship, you could do a decent turnaround on a refit. Of course, if every SF Engineer was as crazy as Scotty, then we're looking at ships that probably have conduit maintaining Tribbles in their Jefferies tubes, and that's if the ships were left alone in refit. Could you imagine some bored engineer who just maintained a half dozen of the things not fucking around with the old hulls?

>You'd need to get them together and have them spend monthsjust developing the refit procedures for the old class.
I sort of assumed they started doing that in the 2360s as a response to the Borg, since they knew they'd need the ships later.
>>
>>49631853
>One of the Weyouns tried to defect, they're not all brainwashed and crazy.

To the one Rogue God he knew of.

Then he committed suicide to save said God.
>>
>>49631865
>Certainly, but for my own stuff, I'd written up that the Feds had basically emptied their mothballed ship supply for the war.
I would have thought that they were going at it slow, doing full, proper refits, up until Wolf 359, at which point they go into glasscannon mode. That, and the fleet that they're activating is absolutely XBOX Huge - it was built to fight the Klingon Empire when it was at its heydey, and its exact capabilities were unknown. So I'd have expected they have a LOT of Mirandas in storage. So much so that pulling out the exotic hulls to replace Miranda losses didn't become necessary until so late in the war that things were starting to turn around - production of proper ship classes was reaching its legs, and Akiras, Steamrunners, Defiants, Sovereigns etc, were holding the line and taking the pressure off.

>Are they running full crews?
A Miranda in Kirk's day would probably have run a crew of about 200-400, but in Picard's day we know it's ~25-40.
In times of war, I imagine that a Federation ship can run with a much smaller crew than its rating, with no loss of combat effectiveness - you don't need barbers, schoolteachers, astrophysicists, planetary geology specialists, etc, to go to war.

>I'd disagree, if only because of how much of the fleet looked like it was standardizing in the 2270s and 80s.
Even if they're largely similar, they're still going to be hugely different on the drawing board, let alone at the level of each individual hull you pull out of the boneyard, as you mentioned. Perhaps not entirely dissimilar, but you'll still see a big slowdown if you take a refit crew that can refit a Miranda quickly and they suddenly find themselves aboard an Abbé.
>>
>>49631865

>I sort of assumed they started doing that in the 2360s as a response to the Borg, since they knew they'd need the ships later.
I agree, but the Battle of Wolf 359 was 2367. The Dominion War started in 2373. 6 years is not a super-slow time, but you have to factor in lead-up time: time to build new refit yards to increase throughput, to train more refit crews, to relax the standards at SFA from "Perfect" to merely "Excellent," etc. Then they wind up fighting the wrong war, and they're in trouble, but I reckon they'd still have a massive stockpile of Mirandas to blow through before they need to start looking at the ships that resemble the Mirandas.
>>
>>49632020
I think the Federation has/had alot more Mirandas laying around than we're giving them credit for.
>>
File: breen-3views.jpg (91KB, 1060x660px) Image search: [Google]
breen-3views.jpg
91KB, 1060x660px
>>49631407
>http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/bridge_annotated.html
Fuck yes, I love seeing ideas like this. I still firmly believe that VR headsets are the way of the future, and we'll all be walking around in them during all of our waking hours within 100 years. Even better once they figure out how to feed data directly into the optic nerve, though IIRC Geordi's visor is the furthest they've gotten in the Star Trek timeline?

I'm also a fan of the Star Destroyer bridge design where the operator consoles are on a lower level that the commander can look down on and see. Why I haven't seen a design in between that and your pic, where it's kinda like reverse stadium seating, I don't know.

>>49631263
>The 3d HUD would probably be a bit much
What. Being able to look around as you maneuver being 'a bit much'? How??? I can't imagine going back to 2d after that.

>>49631515
Yeah, the Breen were criminally underused. Their ship designs are pretty sexy, too. I wish the entire series had been the Dominion War, not just the last few seasons.

>>49631637
This guy was extremely creepy and extremely believable. A good example of how Federation ethics may not be everpresent in their government.

>>49631270
Quality post.

>>49631219
All right, post it. You're anon, so no one is going to know it's you who wrote it.

>>49631180
>>49631785
Yeah, they exist: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Category:Vorta_duty_officers
>>
>>49631994
>That, and the fleet that they're activating is absolutely XBOX Huge - it was built to fight the Klingon Empire when it was at its heydey, and its exact capabilities were unknown
I think part of my disconnect is I use a little bit of everything, fluff wise. Hell, FASA had Starfleet consisting of thousands of capital ships, and I toned it down a lot. So Mirandas are a pocket Cruiser, getting produced in medium numbers, while stuff like the Loknar, Abbe and others are getting churned out in redshirt levels. Another note I've got to make my organization. Though I was just planning on something generalized anyway.

>Perhaps not entirely dissimilar, but you'll still see a big slowdown if you take a refit crew that can refit a Miranda quickly and they suddenly find themselves aboard an Abbé.
Yep. Though the magic of Starfleet engineers could probably make up for it, but mainly I just want to see ships other than the Miranda get some love too, which is coloring my perception.

>>49632107
>What. Being able to look around as you maneuver being 'a bit much'? How??? I can't imagine going back to 2d after that.
I meant for the people at home, mainly. Most people aren't used to the idea of a free floating HUD, and want to see people in science fiction looking at their instruments, not wildly looking around the room.
>>
>>49632236
>I think part of my disconnect is I use a little bit of everything, fluff wise. Hell, FASA had Starfleet consisting of thousands of capital ships, and I toned it down a lot. So Mirandas are a pocket Cruiser, getting produced in medium numbers, while stuff like the Loknar, Abbe and others are getting churned out in redshirt levels. Another note I've got to make my organization. Though I was just planning on something generalized anyway.

I kind of see it both ways - the Miranda is a Light Cruiser, it's just that the Federation's economy gearing up for the Big One with the Klingon Empire is SO HUGE that they're producing Light Cruisers in Redshirt Numbers, because it's extremely practical for them to do so. They're cranking out Akulas, Abbés, etc, in large numbers too, but other than the Akula, which occupies a distinct, lower size tier (Destroyer rather than Light Cruiser, but otherwise serves the same generalist purpose and so gets made in Redshirt Numbers,) the others are more specialist ships.

The Abbé and Loknar appear to be the same weight as a Miranda, roughly, but the Abbé is a "fuck you, have torpedos" specialist ship, whilst the Loknar, I think, is a tank - in the MMO sense, it has like, four shield generators to the Miranda's one, and three of its four torpedo launchers are forward.

So when the war never happened, Starfleet needed a huge draw-down; they didn't want to be maintaining a giant, aggressive fleet which would make the Romulans and Klingons nervous, but they definitely wanted enough firepower on-hand to make those guys NOT want to start shit.
So they focused on the bigger vessels, and more importantly, the NEWER ones - Excelsiors, Constellations. The Ambassador Class might have been a gleam in someone's eyes at this point. Miranda became the workhorse, and Akulas were deemed to be way too heavy to be system defense boats, and too light to go out doing Starfleet Stuff, so they got put away. Most Mirandas got put away, too.
>>
>>49632236
>Yep. Though the magic of Starfleet engineers could probably make up for it, but mainly I just want to see ships other than the Miranda get some love too, which is coloring my perception.
The reason I'm talking it up this way is specifically to that end - take a group of fresh-faced Ensigns to the boneyard. Tell them that Starfleet needs a lot of working ships, faster than they can build new ones - which are going to the farthest areas first. So they need to put those refit yards to work and update the old ships, in the post-Dominion-War era; these are the ships that will be flying around the interior of the Federation, with so many Mirandas now so much scrap duranium. Their first task is to get a ship running and get it to a refit yard.

Basically, giving the players their choice of Akula, Abbé and Loknar. Stepping aboard, they find themselves in the TOS Movie Era, and need to get it to where it's going to be shinified and LCARSed-up, a process in which they will be involved in, because let's face it, nobody quite knows what to do with these old girls anyway.

>>49632107
>All right, post it. You're anon, so no one is going to know it's you who wrote it.
Eh, fukitol, why dafuq not.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dlVfelVtToMlIgf-ohpjCnBpJ7QR0xxluslOWT5w3qw

Here you go. I make no guarantees of quality or fitness for any use or purpose. I stopped writing it somewhere partway through Ch5, for some reason.
>>
Apropos of nothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i4Uy8OT6DA
Kira/Odo was one of the mostly weirdly workable romances in DS9. Pity it ended.
>>
>>49632236
>I meant for the people at home, mainly.
Aw hell. Sorry, I got stuck in in-universe autism mode. That makes perfect sense.

I'm not sure how one would ideally handle 3d interfaces for film/TV. Maybe switch perspectives between what the officers on the bridge are seeing as it becomes relevant? Have a combined viewscreen display that the captain is seeing?
>>
>>49632492
>Aw hell. Sorry, I got stuck in in-universe autism mode. That makes perfect sense.

Screw the viewer at home, I want my AR visor with incorporated tricorder sensors and heads-up display. Why should Geordie by the only one who gets to enjoy the benefits of transhumanism? Do you gotta put your eyes out around here to get an upgrade? I know a guy who can arrange a transporter accident.
>>
>>49632517
Hell, if I was going to switch to that, the two flight controller positions and tactical would be in a holo tank, while the captain's chair has its own control stations and crossbar over his lap that would act as a secondary HUD in combat situations. The Viewscreen is to chat with the alien of the week, not feed him his own organs.
>>
>>49632562
I think I'd save the full holotank treatment and captain-having-a-console-at-his-seat treatment for the Battle Bridge.
As you say, the Viewscreen is for chatting with the alien of the week. You don't want the main Bridge to look TOO hostile - though some more displays and AR glasses would go a long way.
>>
So by all accounts, the Federation is pretty ship blind in building fleets. A lot of the time combat units are pretty much just thrown together with whatever ships are in the area, and even the novels state that you could see a science configuration Nebula head up a fleet of Akira and Norway ships with no one batting an eyelash. Not quite what I prefer to see, since the Fleet should be smarter than that, at least at the organizational level during a war. To that end, I've got two general guidelines for how Fleet Battle groups would be arranged, one for a "Frontline" fleet, consisting of mostly modern ships, and a "Second line" fleet consisting of refits lead by an older front line ship, like an Ambassador.

First up is the composition of a battle group. A normal arrangement is 6 ships, with a brevetted Fleet Captain commanding in a Cruiser or heavier ship, followed by two lighter (or less advanced) cruisers, with three other lighter and/or less advanced ships. Any ship recommendations are simply for ease of reference, and not specific.

A Front line battle group would be deployed like so:

>Heavy Cruiser (Sovereign, Galaxy or Nebula)
>2 Medium Cruisers (Akira, Ambassador, Excelsior, or New Orleans)
>3 Destroyers/Light Cruisers (Norway, Saber or even another trio of Akiras)

Ships like the Defiant and other lightweight pocket cruisers could anchor their own battle groups, which could be deployed as 1 Defiant, 2 Akiras or Sabers, and then 3 Sabers or Norways. Otherwise, feel free to insert 2350s-2360s ships in as you'd like.
>cont.
>>
>>49632652
A Second line Battle group would consist of:

>Cruiser (Akira (rare, or else exceptional captains), Ambassador, Excelsior, Constellation, or New Orleans)
>2 Cruisers or Destroyers (Excelsior, Miranda, or Constitution Refit/Enterprise Class)
>3 Destroyers (Constitution Refit/Enterprise Class, Miranda, Loknar, or Akula)

The second line ships consist of your 2350s and earlier heavier ships, as well as the odd BENJAMIN MOTHERFUCKING SISKO leading a group of lighter and older ships into the fight.

Additionally, for engagements such as Operation Return or where cooperation between two (or more) battlegroups are required, the more senior of the two Fleet Captains is referred to as Commodore, and the fleet reforms to allow the trio of each group to act as a single unit of 6 vessels while the other six vessels act as the anvil.
>>
>>49632517
Amen to that, but it's easier written in a book IMO. I don't think it's insurmountably difficult to film, I just can't call any good examples to mind where it's been done well.

>>49632590
This is an interesting philosophy. I do a lot of videoconferencing at work - I wonder if they determined that a table in between you and the person/people you're communicating with was too distant/offputting.
>>
I don't think they have many Constitution Refits around. I think that those are the ones that were most likely to go down fighting, or get hammered so hard they just scrapped them outright.

Also, even a Nebula configured for science is still an Explorer. I think it would be best to think of Nebulas as being a Galaxy variant.

>>49632669
>Amen to that, but it's easier written in a book IMO.
Aye.

>This is an interesting philosophy. I do a lot of videoconferencing at work - I wonder if they determined that a table in between you and the person/people you're communicating with was too distant/offputting.
I think it depends on the setting.

If it's colleauges/superiors & subordinates, I think a table might help to establish the formality of the situation - also if it's like, diplomacy taking place not face-to-face. For more immediate, ship-to-ship things, I think that it helps if the bridge looks less overtly "tactical" - hence, space for the captain to stand up and greet the person on the other end of the viewscreen as though he were standing in the door of his home and welcoming guests.
>>
>>49632727
>I don't think they have many Constitution Refits around
No they don't, but since there was at least 1 at Wolf 359, there may be more. They're tough ships too, so I would be surprised if some of them survived to the war and afterwards.
>>
a drunk off ass
couldn't decide best general to ask
respect /tg/ regardless
sorry I couldn't even format a poem

looking for music while buzzed
still got another 4 shots left
gods help me
>>
>>49632401
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dlVfelVtToMlIgf-ohpjCnBpJ7QR0xxluslOWT5w3qw
I'm about halfway through, and honestly, I'm finding it really entertaining so far. Your character is by no means a gary stu, and the dental records thing is clever.
>>
>>49632935
>presenting on the central topic of a meeting in less than 8 hours
>promptly get embroiled in debates on 3 different threads
>can't stop drinking and debating because this is the only time of day I'm genuinely happy and I don't want it to end
Looks like it's going to be another all nighter. Fuck my fucking genetics & personality. Glad I'm not the only one.

>>49631853
>Easily enough switched back on.
(shrug) Perhaps. Perhaps the Fed could also give them contact lenses for their shitty eyesight, too. Man, they really got screwed on at least 2/5 senses (that we know of).

>if the Federation is willing to not seek justice for Starfleet personnel whom Klingon warriors LITERALLY tore the throats out of
Not sure if you're referencing a specific incident here - right now I'm reading it as general Fed vs Klingon wars, so please correct me if that assumption is wrong.

Seeking revenge vs. neglecting captives and/or seeking to trade them away require two very different levels of risk and effort, and I kinda see the Federation as a bit conservative and/or lazy like most human governments these days.

Anyway, clearly they exist in STO, so all this conjecture is just me practicing my typing, I guess.

>>49631994
I like this idea - old ships brought out of storage and running on a skeleton crew (maybe this is assuming more than you said, but what if crew members were operating multiple functions?) in an emergency situation ties in with (I believe it was) your idea last thread of why the Fed was so weak in the final battle against the Dominion.
>>
>>49633300
>genuinely busy and working
>busy and have need to drink
arghujaspofjgidodfj understanding
All I can do
http://thebest404pageever.com/
keep hitting f5 to refresh for random
>>
>>49633329
>michaeldavis.swf
Glorious.
>>
File: 1434414679623.jpg (32KB, 409x393px) Image search: [Google]
1434414679623.jpg
32KB, 409x393px
>>49633329
>http://thebest404pageever.com/
>immediately get a link featuring a guy dancing in VR headset like what we were discussing wearing on the bridge before: http://thebest404pageever.com/swf/virtualboy.swf
Superb webzone, my brother.
>>
File: 1428625607347.jpg (24KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1428625607347.jpg
24KB, 500x375px
is there a guide to star trek table top and board games?
>>
>>49633329
Searched for relevant thread links for the sake of it
http://thebest404pageever.com/swf/StarTrekRave.swf
http://thebest404pageever.com/swf/klingon.swf

>>49633394
Dunno, consider BoardGameGeek, aka BGG? I guess there's a Star Trek version of every popular game right now ranging from Monopoly to Catan. I myself play Star Trek Attack Wing, which seems to be the less popular of options despite being the only DS9 era Wargame out there.
>>
>>49633394
Holy fucking shit, I did not remember this part of the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io
>>
>>49633380
luck of the RNG
I've yet to hit that one
holy shit I keep trying and still have not hit the bottom
>>
File: IMG_0658.jpg (75KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0658.jpg
75KB, 692x530px
>>49631637
I'll drink to that!
>>
>>49633120
Thank you.

>>49633300
>(shrug) Perhaps. Perhaps the Fed could also give them contact lenses for their shitty eyesight, too. Man, they really got screwed on at least 2/5 senses (that we know of).
Why would they need good eyesight? They were modified to be diplomats, not soldiers.
Frankly, the Founders are A-Holes.

>Not sure if you're referencing a specific incident here - right now I'm reading it as general Fed vs Klingon wars, so please correct me if that assumption is wrong.
There's a bit where Sisko, Et Al, infiltrate this big Klingon ceremony whilst looking for Changelings, during that brief Federation-Klingon war. During it, some Klingon brags about how he "ripped the breathing tubes right out of" some soft Federation captain. Sisko beats the shit out of him, and covers by shouting "Brag all you WANT! But don't get between me and the bloodWINE!"
So naturally, all the Klingons present take that as an excuse to laugh at the guy he beat the shit out of.

>I like this idea - old ships brought out of storage and running on a skeleton crew (maybe this is assuming more than you said, but what if crew members were operating multiple functions?) in an emergency situation ties in with (I believe it was) your idea last thread of why the Fed was so weak in the final battle against the Dominion.

It's that other anon's idea. They're not just bringing old ships out of storage and throwing them straight at the Dominion, that would be suicidal, even more than how badly it already was. The problem is that they were geared to fight Borg, whose weapons made a mockery out of all of Starfleet's shields; so they just up-gunned all those ships to use them as glass cannons vs. the Borg. Problem was they went to war with the Dominion (after a brief interlude fighting the Klinks,) where having shields would have been useful.
>>
>>49634301
>Why would they need good eyesight? They were modified to be diplomats, not soldiers.
Reading microexpressions from across the room is extremely important for diplomacy. Maybe they only conduct diplomacy up close? It doesn't make much sense otherwise.

>There's a bit where Sisko, Et Al, infiltrate this big Klingon ceremony whilst looking for Changelings, during that brief Federation-Klingon war.
Oh shit, I totally forgot about that. I'm a bit surprised Sisko didn't murder that Klingon. Maybe he did, offscreen? Maybe he demanded extradition after the brief war? I'm still going to stand by my point though even though I've forgotten why, oh god why am I doing this, what is wrong with me? - taking obvious offense at the Fed's death and killing him over it, or demanding his execution after the war, is a lot more work than killing/putting someone on trial who is already in your possession.

>It's that other anon's idea
Oh sorry, my bad.
>>
>>49633329
>http://thebest404pageever.com/swf/Patrick_Stewart_Precision_F-Strike.swf
kek
>>
>>49634663
>Friggin parasitic rodents
>>
>>49633432
>Star Trek Attack Wing,
>http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/
wew, that looks suspiciously similar to the x-wing game

or is the x-wing game copying yet another thing?
>>
>>49634761
Wiz-Kids got a license for the X-Wing game.

The big problems were basically that Star Trek is too big. And 2ndly that Star Trek is too big. By the time they finished addressing major complaints, the system had addressed Borg and other major complaints.
>>
>>49626142
Anyone else disappointed that the female redshirts don't die horribly in the new movies? Not to sound sexist but I feel that it's really unequal to show the males dying and all the females live. I'd like to see this changed desu.
>>
>>49634536
>Reading microexpressions from across the room is extremely important for diplomacy. Maybe they only conduct diplomacy up close? It doesn't make much sense otherwise.
Microexpressions may be unreliable across species boundaries, and so making them blind to them (so they had to use other, more logical cues,) may have been a feature, not a bug.

I dunno, really, and to be frank, I don't care. I just want the possibility of a QT3.14 Vorta lass in a Starfleet uniform.

>is a lot more work than killing/putting someone on trial who is already in your possession.
Summary execution - or indeed, any execution at all - isn't the Federation's style, and most Vorta would be administrators, not war criminals.
>>
>>49628044
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJudJ9S579A
>>
>>49626142
so i was watching this episode of ds9 and in it they sent o'brien into the future and he met his future self but the time travel thing he was using caused him to get sick from radiation and put him in critical condition and so he sent future o'brien to the past to take o'briens place but wouldnt past o'brien dying in the future also cause future o'brien to die
>>
File: justanotherdayinthelifeofobrien.jpg (157KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
justanotherdayinthelifeofobrien.jpg
157KB, 700x700px
>>49635011
>>
>>49632107
>What. Being able to look around as you maneuver being 'a bit much'? How???
Not him, but why limit yourself to only whatever 120-degree cone that's in front of your face? Just have a holographic projection of the complete volume of space around you, and you can look at the whole thing at once.
>>
>>49635011
>wouldnt past o'brien dying in the future also cause future o'brien to die
The universe doesn't let o'brien get off that easy
>>
>>49635200
>gets made a professor of Engineering at Starfleet Academy
>ends up having to teach Cardassians after they join the Federation.
>>
File: IMG_0875.jpg (62KB, 705x557px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0875.jpg
62KB, 705x557px
Romulan Ale
Andorian Ale
Vulcan Port
Gorn Meriador
Some types of Kanar

Why do so many races have Blue drinks?
>>
>>49638020
I think the better question is why isn't Terran Ale blue?
>>
>>49638020
Because it's cool to be blue
>>
>>49638181
Because Ale is a beer, rather than a spirit made with grain and hops. Tellingly, the Romulans refer to Romulan "Ale" as Kali-fal, even with a universal translator, so it's likely they're version of Whiskey or Brandy. Though the recipe I used, as well the canon description, for it once would seem to imply it's more like moonshine or Poitín.
>>
>>49638272
>YO LISTEN UP HERE'S A STORY...
>>
>>49638276
>Poitín
oh god, no wonder romulan ale was banned, it's a biological weapon
>>
>>49638276
Fair enough. Though, we can always bust out the absinthe when we need to impress the aliums with our bright and vividly-colored alcoholic beverages.
>>
>>49638365
Poitín, by which I mean proper Poitín, rather than this commercial cash-in crap, isn't really meant to be drank by itself. My grandparents used it as a cure-all for everything from the flu to a cold. (It basically burns through your system). But even they tended to mix it with apple juice or honey.

Romulan Ale is probably around the same percentage. Romulans can handle it due to some quirk of Vulcanoid evolution. By comparison humans are lightweights and rather than mixing Romulan Ale, they decided to prohibit it, like bastards.
>>
>>49638291
>...ABOUT A LITTLE MAN THAT LIVED IN A BLUE WORLD...
>>
>>49638478
I expect Romulan Ale is prohibited for the same reason Cuban Cigars are prohibited in the U.S., not because the UFP feels the need to regulate alcoholic beverages at the Federal level.
>>
>>49638782
I suppose that makes sense, especially seeing as Andorian Ale seems to be quite similar.
>>
Best episode of Star Trek? For me it's between "The Inner Light" and "In the Pale Moonlight".

"In the Pale Moonlight" knocks it out of the park with Sisko's reaction to events. He seems at once distraught and yet oddly calm. The recording isn't for anybody else. It exists so that Sisko can justify his crimes to himself, because he desperately needs to. And then of course there is Garek. Garek is a personal favourite character that I wish had received more focus. His Bashir episodes tend to fall short of showing how truly brutal and manipulative he can be. He kills numerous people and betrays someone who has stuck their neck out for him dozens of times because it will win the war and save more lives.

"The Inner Light" is just s beautiful, nuanced story. It doesn't spell events to you and lets the audience member really revel in the fantastic performances of everyone involved. A character dies in Picard's experience, and rather than being shown, that character simply stops appearing and has a child named after him. The expressions of the cast are enough to show this facet of the story and I respect the writers hugely for this choice. Not only is this a great episode, but it also becomes an integral part of Picard. He is the the last memory of a dead race and he embraces it with dignity and immense dedication.
>>
>>49639325
I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VixYS0xm5LI and it did a great job of highlighting some of the best acting in DS9.
>>
>>49639465
Most of the DS9 cast were fantastic for their characters. I would single out Rom and Jadzia as weaker, but not terrible characters
>>
Was "It's Only a Paper Moon" a good episode? I can't seem to make up my mind. I absolutely hate the idea behind Vic, but the actor kind of saves it... I just don't know.
>>
>>49640009
Vice is terrible and I hate the writers for deciding that "discount Frank Sinatra" was a worthwhile recurring character in a wartime storyline.
>>
>>49640009
>Was "It's Only a Paper Moon" a good episode? I can't seem to make up my mind. I absolutely hate the idea behind Vic, but the actor kind of saves it... I just don't know.
It's a great ep. Don't let your dislike of the concept of a character blind you to how good the character actually is, particularly in his interactions with Nog (also, he's a way better councilor than Ezri). The rest of the episode is pretty good too.
>>
>>49639727
I actually really liked the portrayal of Jadzia. I feel like her character was written as a total mary sue, but she still came across as incredibly genuine and charismatic.

What do you guys think?
>>
File: jadzia-dax-trill.jpg (372KB, 1400x1072px) Image search: [Google]
jadzia-dax-trill.jpg
372KB, 1400x1072px
>>49640605
Jadzia Dax is 9.496/10 waifu material, and they completely fucking screwed the character over with her ignimonious bullshit end and the half-assed bringing her back as The Other Darren. Doubly so with not including any shots of her at the end of DS9, like she never bloody existed.

I mean, Ezri was a good character, don't get me wrong; I very much would liked to have seen Ezri as the younger Trill officer learning how to be a boss from Jadzia; hell, she was young enough that she could have gotten involved in a love triangle with Jake and Nog, which would have been interesting. But just outright replacing her with Ezri makes me... Annoyed.

>Captcha: Select all the boats.
>> Select all the boats.
>> Please select all matching images.
>>> Select another one, having a sinking feeling.
>> It takes it.

Captcha, a SHIP is not a BOAT.
>>
>>49640605
I wouldn't even go as far as saying Jadzia was a Mary Sue. She was completely sure of herself, which isn't itself a crime. But she also constantly tried to lens her co-workers suffering through her own experiences.

>"Oh you're worried about Bajor, Kira? Well I remember this one time that there was a grain shortage on Trill, 600 years ago..."
>"You're worried about your brother's honour, Worf? Well, this one time, when I was a 90 year old man..."
>"You know, Ben, this situation where you're worried about your son being murdered by Klingons reminds me of this one time that a person I was, centuries ago, was frightened about losing a child"

That's why I liked Ezri. She was confused by her memories. She was embarrassed about knowing all these things about basic strangers. She seemed more genuine.
>>
I never really liked Jadzia. There's just something grating about her character. I like her friendship with Sisko, and Jake to a lesser extent, and how she manages to get on with so many people, and is a not outright stated but very obviously portrayed as someone who just has casual sex because they can, which is neat.
But there's just something annoying about her. Exceptionally unprofessional in certain ways, like the repeatedly breaking into Odo's quarters to slightly rearrange his furniture, that's just being a dick. And she's like that a lot, the playfulness aspect is just slightly misjudged or portrayed.

Genuinely preferred Ezri.

>>49640009
I think it is. I don't hold as much outright dislike for Vic as many people, but I do agree he was over-used. But in this case, I felt it was a decent pairing to do him and Nog, and the main story itself seemed earned in a way that so many other 'serious' story lines just don't. And at least his reoccurring nature was waaaay better than the reoccurring holodeck programs they kept trying to inflict on Voyager (barring Captain Proton of course).

>>49639727
Rom was definitely a weak character, with one singular incredibly strong moment of awesome in his work to try and sabotage the station. They could have killed him off in that and it would have been fine as the character would have been entirely redeemed.
>>
>>49640918
>That's why I liked Ezri. She was confused by her memories. She was embarrassed about knowing all these things about basic strangers. She seemed more genuine.
To be fair, the Trill symbionts pretty much override a significant chunk of host's personality even in small doses, like that episode where that guy came by and tried to take Dax away from Jadzia. But on the one hand, that means that Ezri is either way stronger personality wise, or else the prep for getting one normally involves a fair chunk of brainwashing.

>>49641185
>But there's just something annoying about her.
A lot of that is, IMO, the symbiont being old as hell and trying to find new ways to do things and causing trouble. It should have been toned down as Dax got used to the station, and was to an extent.
>>
>>49641257
>prep for getting one normally involves a fair chunk of brainwashing

I thought that would be obvious. I wonder how it came to such a state that fully-functioning humanoids would willingly submit themselves to being controlled by worm parasites.
>>
>>49641257
>>49641290
I don't know how much the symbiot actually controls the pair, and how much is just "having a lot of memories changes you." I'd think that, if it's the latter (and I think that's the more interesting (and ethical - remember, this is the Federation we're talking about, and they don't take too kindly to body snatchers, even when people are voluntarily snatched) option), then it would make sense that they would pick the most milquetoast boring nerds (in whatever field), since the program seems to be to enhance the worm for whatever reason. Since Ezri was her own person, and not a personality-less nerd, the memories wouldn't overwhelm what she was previously. I figure a lot of candidates might also be like the guy that stole Dax: losers that want to have something more to themselves, to have some automatic accomplishments.
>>
>>49641290
Presumably, the symbiotic relationship extends back as far as Trill civilization. The symbiotes were probably there alongside the Trill as they developed to their current humanoid level of evolution, and whichever Trills became bonded with the symbiotes (maybe wounded ones living near the pools, which the symbiotes nearby, uh, slithered into?) had a distinct advantage over the unbonded ones...which, over time, lead to a near caste-system of bonded Trills being on top and unbonded Trills competing to get symbiotes, and etc etc for thousands of years, until it was simply part of their culture. Over time, they found that some people were far more suited for 'the joining', which developed medical procedures and rituals to make it safer (for the symbiote, especially), and it became a lot more controlled, and...well.

Tradition is a really big incentivizer to make people do all sorts of seemingly dumb things.
>>
>>49641798
I think it would have to be more widespread and intentional than that.
>>
So the Trill symbiont is more or less a Goa'uld?
>>
>>49644130
Not quite. A Trill symbiont acts as more of a life experience sponge, living vicariously through its hosts, for however long they live. (The novels peg the average symbiont as living around 1000+ years or so). These life experiences are, for the most part, passed on to the next host as memories, but particularly strong traits of a host can crop up in a later one, such as verbal or physical tics. The longest lived symbionts also seem to impart a kind of schizophrenia on to their hosts too. Meanwhile, the Goa'uld are parasitic hosts who overwrite their host's personality for as long as the Goa'uld is in the host. The closest analog to these guys would be the Kurlan Parasites (the ones from the first season of TNG).
>>
>>49644130
More of a tok'ra. A really passive one, if you believe the Trill, and ignore the TNG episode (which had them very different than they were in DS9).
>>
>>49642573
Earth has entire continents full of people who cut off parts of the penises of newborns. People will do anything out of tradition.
>>
How would the dominion war have gone if say, the Breen had stayed neutral? I Really liked the Breen in the Dominion prison camp so having them join the Dominion seems lackluster.
>>
>>49644798

The Dominion wouldn't have had the strength to push to Earth, I think. They had a fleet cut off from the Gamma Quadrant, and had lost another fleet flying through the wormhole by that point.

It was pretty much Earth or bust by that point, and without the Breen ships? Probably would have cut the war short by months.
>>
>>49644798
The Dominion probably kidnapped that Breen (and some of their friends) to try and initiate contact with them, feeling them out for the alliance even back then.

While that Breen was indeed pretty great, it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what its leaders would choose to do later on, like joining the Dominion alliance so they had a chance at the Romulans (and everyone else, I guess).

They're a complicated race, you can have cool Breen and jerk Breen without one negating the existence of the other.
>>
>>49644798
Without Breen intervention the war likely would have ended much sooner. After all it was only thanks to the Breen energy drain weapon that the dominion was able to mount any sort of counter offensive. It would also have been less likely that Damar would become a renegade or that the Changeling virus would have been cured.

The siege of Cardassia would have been a much longer, protracted affair with the support of the Cardassian people. The Founders would have withered and died, and the Dominion would simply collapse overnight. I doubt the Vorta could really control the Jem Hadar once all of their gods were dead.
>>
>>49644878
>The Dominion probably kidnapped that Breen (and some of their friends) to try and initiate contact with them, feeling them out for the alliance even back then.
>While that Breen was indeed pretty great, it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what its leaders would choose to do later on, like joining the Dominion alliance so they had a chance at the Romulans (and everyone else, I guess).
>They're a complicated race, you can have cool Breen and jerk Breen without one negating the existence of the other.

Maybe it was already done? And that Breen was almost the equivalent of Garak as the changelings restructured Breen politics?
>>
>>49644964
Who knows?

RIP POW Breen.
>>
What about the dominion war starting early because of the Maquis attack not being stopped?

The Cardies who were not on their homeworld certainly wouldn't be inclined to betray the Dominion that's for sure/
>>
>>49645420
That attack would happen between Cardassia joining the Dominion and Starfleet mining the wormhole.

So the dominion would have significantly fewer troops in the Alpha quadrant, but would have some access to reinforcements from the wormhole, at least until Starfleet mined/destroyed it.

In such a scenario the capture of DS9 would be vital to any long term success. Without that, the Dominion forces would not be sufficient to defeat the Federation, Klingons and Romulans.

Which leads me to another important point. The Romulans had not signed any NAP with the dominion at that point and likely would have joined the war as de facto allies of the federation. With that extra fire power, and a still recovering Cardassia, the Dominion would find the situation untenable and sue for peace very early.

Even in the event that a smaller dominion fleet managed to take DS9, the Romulans already had a plan in place to destroy the station and seal the wormhole.
>>
>>49645729
I mean it's not like Cadasia's navy would suffer, unless some of the missiles were aimed at or programmed to shoot down the orbiting ships and stations.
>>
>>49645729
>the Dominion would find the situation untenable and sue for peace very early
I seriously doubt that. They haven't lost a war in 1000 years or whatever, and they weren't going to as long as there were still servitors to do the fighting. Literally the only reason they didn't fight to the last jem hadar and vorta was that the federation offered a cure for the disease, and Odo. In the situation you propose, they would just fight to the end, and the forces on the other side of the wormhole would never know, and be in a perpetual state of war, until either side conquered.
>>
>>49644990
>RIP POW Breen.
I feel like killing him off was such a cop-out to avoid any sort of lore/character building with them
>>
>>49646336
Yeah, it was really dumb, but maybe having a recurring character that looks like Leia's disguise from Starwars caused some worries about fan reactions?
>>
>>49630727

In "Day of the Dove", the Klingons were using bog standard swords. Admittedly provided by the alien, but I didn't see anyone trying to improvise a Bat'leth out of plumbing & kitchen knives.
>>
>>49630977

Kor's the only one who looks recognizable from TOS. Admittedly, John Colicos had a very distinctive face.
>>
>>49646672
I wouldn't expect Klingons to try to improvise a Bat'leth, I was presuming they came with their own.
>>
File: ksword.jpg (15KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ksword.jpg
15KB, 320x240px
>>49646879
Normalish Klingon swords were a thing too, just more rare.
>>
>>49631089
That is the perfect aesthetic for the Dominion, the Jem'Hadar don't have to like their ships and the Dominion isn't run by egotists so they have no need of tailored designs.
>>
>>49646704
>>49646879
So I was watching Kang, Koloth, and Kor to remind myself what I didn't like about them post-tng, and it comes down to the lack of dignity. Even with their bronzer and cheap uniforms they came off as both threatening and proud, whereas DS9 made them sound like bad Shakespearean goofballs.

But watching them did make me notice one thing, while a Bat'leth is a shitty weapon for open warfare, it does fit a type of battle the Klingons actually prefer, which is raids and commando actions. Watching them mow through guys was the best part of them coming back in DS9.
>>
File: Breen_warship_sketch.jpg (66KB, 737x517px) Image search: [Google]
Breen_warship_sketch.jpg
66KB, 737x517px
>>49632107
Meh, the Breen ships are too asymmetrical.

I'd like them better if they had some symmetry.
>>
File: Maquis_fighter_in_combat.jpg (14KB, 563x436px) Image search: [Google]
Maquis_fighter_in_combat.jpg
14KB, 563x436px
I did like the scalable tech of whatever feddie subcontractor that made the ships that eventually became the Maquis Fighter and Maquis Raider, even if they do look a little... Starwarsy. (I have to admit that universe was my first love of space things so I may be biased to forgive it.)
>>
File: maquisraider1.jpg (71KB, 498x220px) Image search: [Google]
maquisraider1.jpg
71KB, 498x220px
>>49649143
But WHAT is that really sharp nosed curved winged fighter in the background there? It's nhot a Maquis Fighter, Raider, (The Raider didn't exist at the time because the model had not been kitbashed) or the Perigrine.
>>
>>49647848
>the Dominion isn't run by egotists

Speciesism is like egotism, just on a higher level.

Solidify the Changelings, race war now!
>>
>>49649152
Bajoran fighter.
>>
>>49645859
>>49645859
Cardassia had only just turned back the Klingon invasion. Their infrastructure and defences were still being repaired by the dominion.
>>
>>49649664
I think those are the larger patrol craft variants.
>>
File: previously_unattainable_.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
previously_unattainable_.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>49651871
Is that a modernised Intrepid? Is there any more?
>>
>>49652204
No, actually, it's a Supremus-class, as I see it it was a contemporary of the Galaxy-class that was supposed to be able to punch a lot higher than its weight.
>>
>>49652204
>>49652253
It looks like someone took a Sovereign and attached really long, horizontal nacelles, onto which they installed super-stretched Intrepid nacelles.
>>
>>49651871
>What is the best ship in all of Star Fleet that they will only use once and never show again.
>pic related
;_;
>>
File: Prometheus.jpg (82KB, 1024x563px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus.jpg
82KB, 1024x563px
>>49652571
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBwGMGSU_Z8
So are there any games with stats for the USS Prometheus class and just how OP is it?
>>
>>49652308
I guess you'd be sorta right in that regard, this thing is kinda like a proto-Sovereign, both in terms of design and purpose.
>>
File: alone_at_midnight_.png (966KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
alone_at_midnight_.png
966KB, 1366x768px
>>49653082
>>
>>49651871
>>49653082
>>49653774
What is this design from? Is there any chance it could show up in STO?
>>
>>49654327
>What is this design from? Is there any chance it could show up in STO?
I doubt it, looks to be fan-made. The renders by Jetfreak are from the last few years, but I found a mod for Bridge Commander from 2006 that has it, so I've no idea where it's from originally.
>>
>>
>>49655121
>littoral
what, this thing lands then floats upriver?
>>
>>49655597
I guess it's being used in this context as something that's not meant to go too far from the shore, as it were.
>>
>>49647848
>The Founders aren't egotists

laughingfemalechangelings.jpg
>>
>>49652571
In my gut, I feel like it's silly as hell and one of the casualties of dumb that Voyager thrust upon us.

But then I remember that Saucer Separation is a thing, a thing I accept, and I have to bite back my opinions and accept it.

Maybe Mr. Dick being in the episode tainted the ship for me, subconsciously, as well.
>>
File: quite_a_ship_.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
quite_a_ship_.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>
>>49655743

Saucer separation makes sense as a last ditch lifeboat situation, assuming the entire ship is disabled by the encounter of the week.

The Prometheus though? It has to have three separate antimatter/matter reactors, impulse engines for each section that separates, and five freaking warp nacelles.

To my eyes, it looks like a logistical and maintenance nightmare. Plus, moving between the separate sections must be a pain in the ass if the transporters ever go down.
>>
>>49655743
Nah, I think it's a stupid idea too. If you want more targets and options to hit the enemy, that's what shuttles and fighters are for, not breaking up your ship into three pieces.

>>49655853
The Prometheus only has 4 Nacelles. The Saucer doesn't seem to have warp capability on its own.
>>
>>49655853
I like the idea that the USS Franklin from Beyond was built as a MACO assault ship, only to be re-purposed for exploration when MACO was disbanded.

Adds an extra bit to you-know-who's story.
>>
File: Prometheus 5th nacelle.png (390KB, 1000x690px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus 5th nacelle.png
390KB, 1000x690px
>>49655909

Rather than be snarky and all that jazz, I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and Exhibit A.
>>
>>49656119
Wow, I actually have never seen that. Fuck, why would you stuff what's basically a shuttle nacelle on a full sized saucer?
>>
File: Prometheus 6th Nacelle.png (173KB, 1000x288px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus 6th Nacelle.png
173KB, 1000x288px
>>49656119
>>49656142

Fuck. We were both wrong. Look what I noticed on the bottom of the saucer in >>49652614 pic related?
>>
3 ships in one just screams maintenance nightmare. I mean, what if the middle ship gets seriously damaged? And just think of the sheer tonnage it's wasting on having multiple sets of docking latches, fuel supplies, nacelles, reinforced outer hull for areas that are mostly just inside the ship, duplication of equipment and it's backups...
Needs triple the amount of combat/engineering crew over something else of a similar size too, which really cuts down it's capabilities to be anything but a combat vessel.

Sure you can and they do automate a lot of it, but frankly, we've seen automation in star trek and you would really want the crew in place as well for something as demanding as combat.

Star Fleet Command 3 had it as a singular vessel with the excuse that much like the Excelsior class, the experimental stuff proved unworkable but the ship was well engineered enough to become a good 4 nacelle multirole ship.

I think without the saucer section and the two other sections permanently mated together it'd make a cool looking very fighty fast cruiser. I don't know how much crew space that'd retain though. Probably pretty cramped though, usual practice would be to have all the crew facilities in the saucer section. But then I also liked the look of the saucer-less Galaxy so what do I know.
>>
>>49656505
>Needs triple the amount of combat/engineering crew over something else of a similar size too, which really cuts down it's capabilities to be anything but a combat vessel.
Conveniently it was designed as a combat vessel, so that's basically fine.

I do like the SFC3 route of saying that the Prometheus started as an experimental chassis and then transferred into being just a solid combat ship. I'd be fine with that headcanon.
>>
>>49656505
>>49656577

In STO it's an escort (basically just means it's fighty and fast, but with less hull and shields than other ships). There's a C-store variant that comes with the "vector assault mode" console that allows it to separate.

You can do a lot worse than the free one from level 40. I flew the mirror version for bit.
>>
>>49656619
But if you're flying the Mirror version of the Prometheus, then you were just using the Patrol Escort in a different skin. And the Patrol Escort looked better.
>>
File: prometheus-bridge.jpg (220KB, 1292x921px) Image search: [Google]
prometheus-bridge.jpg
220KB, 1292x921px
>>49656577
Well, they'd have to strip out a LOT of stuff to make it a conventional ship, but we've seen huge overhauls on stuff before and being what it is, I suspect it would have been designed with stuff laid out so they could remove it and make use of hull otherwise.

But it's bound to have a shit-ton of internal reinforcement, and the duplication (triplication?) of major systems for each ship segment is going to be helpful for increasing the durability of the ship in a fight if they don't strip out all of the extra stuff.

I do like the bridge design though. Nice classic circle, captain in the middle, able to see everything.
>>
>>49656795
Yeah, it kinda reminds me of the movies. Plus, Ops and Conn are in a little depression, so they don't obscure the captain's view. 10/10 bridge.
>>
>>49656794

I know that. All the mirror ships are flipped. I've flown both versions (both mirror versions, and both standard escorts). Maybe I should have been clearer.

>>49656795

I suspect they'd have a variant without the vector assault mode, built more like a conventional ship if the experimental stuff didn't pan out.
>>
>>49656795
Love the layout, hate the color scheme. I want my bridge a little more muted, think Enterprise-A or -D (shame we never saw the -C in action).
>>
File: yesterdays_enterprise_hd_061.jpg (309KB, 1438x1080px) Image search: [Google]
yesterdays_enterprise_hd_061.jpg
309KB, 1438x1080px
>>49657102
I quite liked the Yesterday's Enterprise Bridge. Consequently I also like the bridge from Generations.
>>
>>49657307
It's surprising how less daft Wesley looks in a proper uniform.
>>
>>49657102
This.
A warship/assault cruiser/escort/whatever the fuck, being all fancy, functional and spartan, really shouldn't have a colour scheme that's "the Enterprise D but a bit paler" - especially since a darker and/or cleaner aesthetic is what's being done these days (Voyager, Equinox, Enterprise E, and to a lesser extent Defiant)
>>
So do you think Shinzon's ship became a class/template for future Rom dreadnoughts like in STO?
>>
>>49658676
The Romulan's wouldn't pass up a good, robust, HEUG ship design. I doubt that it would have become the go-to vessel of the Imperial Navy, like a replacement D'Deridex, but it sure would be handy to have access to ships that can handily beat a Sovereign class with backup.
>>
>>49658747
But wouldn't it be kind of shameful to use a Reman design famously associated with the usurper?

Also, nothing can replace the D'deridex. I want to be seeing Dexes well into the late 2400's.
>>
>>49658775
What would be shameful would be to allow the Federation to achieve a tactical and technological advantage over the Empire, simply to preserve the pride of some soon to be executed for treason Admirals.

Besides, they can always fall back on the technicality that the ship was designed by a clone of one of starfleets greatest captains. Or they could claim the designs were stolen by the Remans.
>>
>>49658676
Sure. That's probably what it was designed for.
>>49658775
>Reman design
>designed and built by slaves
>implying that it wasn't a Romulan design
>implying mining slaves could pull any of that off
>implying that the Romulans wouldn't find out
Anon, it was a Rom plot from the beginning. Isn't it odd how a dying human clone slave became boss of both the Remans and head of a conspiracy involving top Romulan military types?
>>
>>49652571
Frankly, the Multi-Vector Assault Mode was stupid. It would be smarter to just build three destroyers and assign them as a task force than to make one cruiser that splits into three destroyers.

That having been said, taken on its own, as a cruiser-weight warship, the Prometheus is pretty damn boss.

>Really tiny warp nacelles
You know what COULD have benefited from those? The Galaxy class. Because the saucer was intended to RUN AWAY from combat... Detaching the bit that has all the civvies and none of the photon torpedoes* without a warp drive? Makes it really damn hard to run away.

> Saucer Section Photon Torpedoes
As a point of fact, if you REALLY dig into the blueprints, you'll find that the saucer DOES have an aft-facing photon torpedo launcher, where it cannot fire while the saucer is docked. You may note this as a really dumb place to put it in all reasons - it means you can't add to your aft firepower while the saucer is locked to the stardrive section. It also means that to aim the saucer torpedo launcher at an enemy, you have to put the saucer's aft to them - which is fine if you're panic-firing in blind "Oh shit oh shit RUN AWAY!" mode, but not so hot if you're facing something from which running is NOT an option and you MUST stand and fight - such as literally anything that isn't so small or outmoded it's terrified to engage a Galaxy-class saucer, or when you want to detach the saucer to get some of that sweet multi-vector assault on - and thus, you can't bring the full power of the Saucer's YUUUUUGE phaser arrays AND the torpedo launcher to bear at the same time.

In my headcanon, that launcher was used so little (IE, never once fired in anger,) that on most starships they literally just removed it and replaced the launcher and magazine with more science labs/another barber shop. Seems safer than having a giant magazine of explosive ordnance that you never use, even in a fight.
>>
>>49660994
So what if they made an alternate head for the Galaxy class that's just nothing but armor, extra power, shields and weapons? Call it a late development for the Dominion War or part of the anti-borg weapons program.
>>
File: GalaxyBird.gif (101KB, 1382x606px) Image search: [Google]
GalaxyBird.gif
101KB, 1382x606px
>>49661018
What if...
>>
>>49660994
Photon Torpedoes apparently can be guided around the saucer, just no one bothers to do so because guidance packages don't make sense in Star Trek.
>>
>>49661018
In theory, that is a thing they could do, and do well. Hell, the saucers are modular, it shouldn't be so hard to make some hull mods to allow for more phaser banks/toprpedo tubes and magazines. But it's not the kind of thing the Federation would seem to want to do.
>>
>>49661469

It's likely due to the fact that it would be an obvious attempt to up-gun the Galaxy, and the Federation seems to be pretty anti-military despite Starfleet being their primary military arm.
>>
>>49661531
Yeah. Especially with the Galaxy, which is their flagship explorer class - they don't want the Galaxy to ever have the appearance of being a silhouette which comes and brings destruction, the way the appearance of a D'Deridex or a Negh'var would.
>>
>>49661039
These are the voyages of the Starship Centipede. Its five-year mission: to seek out new ships and boldly stick its nose into their ass.
>>
>>49660658
Then how come they only threw two Mogais at it when he went rogue? Surely they couldn't have underestimated their own ship design so hard.
>>
>>49663570
How come the Federation only threw a tiny fleet at the Borg Tactical Cube in the Battle of Wolf 359? You don't get to fight your battles with the fleet you want, you fight them with the fleet you HAVE, and that may have been all they had on-hand.
>>
>>49663570
Because one (and only one) of the conspirators had second thoughts about letting their mook go and kill billions of people.
>>
>>49664027
For this, her death at the hands of the Tal Shiar will be mercifully quick.
>>
File: IMG_0894.jpg (251KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0894.jpg
251KB, 1080x1080px
>>
File: 1470850911394.jpg (39KB, 827x389px) Image search: [Google]
1470850911394.jpg
39KB, 827x389px
>>
>>49666227
Weird, I should like this, but I do.
>>
File: IMG_0892.jpg (150KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0892.jpg
150KB, 1080x1080px
>>49666785
Shouldn't
>>
>>49666785
Why shouldn't you like it? It is a very well done ship model of a design that even ADB liked.

Personally I find it more elegant than the Constitution.
>>
File: Exocomp_with_tool.jpg (110KB, 1056x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Exocomp_with_tool.jpg
110KB, 1056x1080px
>>49656505
Well, it's a 'having your cake and eating it too' design. It is bound to have some drawbacks. I think they could fix the maintenance problem by having a fleet of Exocomp like droids fit what was needed. And if you made 3 Destroyers the problem would be it couldn't do anything else really and not be for long trips. This ship can get to far places and have what you need to keep the crew happy during it. 3 destroyer would not. And being in 3 pieces is only needed when needed so the wear and tear can be to a minimal.
>>
>>49668562
#Exocomplivesmatter
>>
File: mfw sloppiness.jpg (145KB, 804x600px) Image search: [Google]
mfw sloppiness.jpg
145KB, 804x600px
>>49664256
>Tal Shitar
>>
File: 1469896619273.gif (3MB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
1469896619273.gif
3MB, 200x170px
>>49668779
Nice reaction image.

DS9 reactions, dump 'em if you got 'em.
>>
File: 1363400668865.gif (292KB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
1363400668865.gif
292KB, 300x227px
>>49669117
>>
File: 1368490585051.gif (1MB, 245x152px) Image search: [Google]
1368490585051.gif
1MB, 245x152px
>>49669440
>>
File: photo_2016-10-06_15-36-09.jpg (61KB, 768x480px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-10-06_15-36-09.jpg
61KB, 768x480px
>>
File: 1368464816159.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1368464816159.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>
File: IMG_0737.jpg (15KB, 257x196px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0737.jpg
15KB, 257x196px
>>
File: 1439138332396.jpg (169KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
1439138332396.jpg
169KB, 692x530px
>>49670343
>>
File: IMG_0903.jpg (77KB, 654x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0903.jpg
77KB, 654x500px
>>
Modiphius sent an email to their mailing list about how organized play will work on the new 2d20 Star Trek RPG.

>Games Masters will also be able to select one of four starships they would like to adventure as! Each starship has its own unique missions that come together and interact with each other in something we're calling a "Living Playtest".
>U.S.S Lexington - A Constitution class starship, like the original U.S.S Enterprise.
>U.S.S Venture - A galaxy class vessel, like the U.S.S Enterprise - D, will have more of a cultural stance to its missions with some exploration and combat.
>U.S.S Thunderchild - An Akira class starship whose missions will be mostly tactical in nature, testing the combat rules, as well as exploration.
>U.S.S Bellerophon - An Intrepid class starship that will focus on science and exploration alongside conflict.

As much as I'd love to play on a scrappy underdog science vessel, the Intrepid-class was what Voyager was. I don't think I can handle god damn gel packs getting infected when someone looks at them wrong. Also, you can bet that the players will try to get the ship's medical staff killed because they want to hang out with The Doctor, only to discover that their EMH is Andy Dick.
>>
>>49670716
Gonna get the game, run the Venture and Belaraphon and then try and mesh the rules so I can run a nebbie campaign
>>
File: Gul Quotes1.jpg (192KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
Gul Quotes1.jpg
192KB, 694x530px
>>
File: Gul Quotes 2.jpg (91KB, 566x872px) Image search: [Google]
Gul Quotes 2.jpg
91KB, 566x872px
>>49671320
>>
File: Gul Quotes 3.jpg (136KB, 602x1377px) Image search: [Google]
Gul Quotes 3.jpg
136KB, 602x1377px
>>49671338
>>
File: 1389878208753.png (273KB, 216x866px) Image search: [Google]
1389878208753.png
273KB, 216x866px
>>49669117
>>
>>49672219
Her smiling at Dukat in panel 2 makes no sense. She should be frowning just like in panel 4.

Because it's Dukat calling.
>>
>>49670020
>>49670702
>>49671320
>>49671338
>>49671358

Post more Dukat.

Damar is also acceptable.
>>
>>49672488
The tumblr account that makes all these is called The Gul's Itch
>>
File: 1475377113163.gif (281KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
1475377113163.gif
281KB, 500x383px
>>49672488
Only other one I got.
>>
>>49673206

Kanar: for when you need to get the kind of drunk that only hundred-proof maple syrup can provide!
>>
>>49672396
She'd smile if she thought she had the advantage over him. A gloating little smirk.
>>
>>49673255
Better hope you're not one of the unlucky cardassians who have the space diabetus. One glass and straight to the infirmary.
>>
File: tumblr_m3q9deNSga1ruqzfqo1_1280.jpg (349KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m3q9deNSga1ruqzfqo1_1280.jpg
349KB, 600x462px
>>
File: tumblr_m7q7eu1VRx1rasa6ko1_1280.jpg (87KB, 625x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7q7eu1VRx1rasa6ko1_1280.jpg
87KB, 625x500px
>>
File: tumblr_m81buzavxm1rasa6ko1_1280.jpg (544KB, 625x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m81buzavxm1rasa6ko1_1280.jpg
544KB, 625x1000px
I forgot what a perfect foil Weyoun was to Damar.
>>
Help me, /stg/, you're... Well, a hope, anyway.

I'm trying to make a character questionnaire to give to prospective players to fill out. It serves several purposes:

1: To get them thinking about the character they want to play. Not just numbers on a sheet, but the character.
2: To give me an idea of their writing style (do they actually write English proficiently, do they consider spelling and punctuation to be more like guidelines than actual rules, etc.)
3: To weed out people who can't be arsed to read, since if they can't read and fill out a simple 20-question questionnaire when they have the luxury of time, I can have no confidence they will read what I write when I'm GMing.

Problem is, I've only come up with 19 questions.
Here is the questionnaire: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k4k1_N1jfelkq37IOVHLFIdzMpf3gRC4G3yYsqYjUQA/edit#
Does anyone see anything I've missed that could and should be asked?
>>
In your humble opinion which Star Trek system is best for a semi-serious game?
>>
>>49674486
Is this for an online thing, or are you just a hard-nosed faggot?
>>
>>49674486
Uhhh... I feel like I would have to know _something_ about the setup of your campaign to generate a character to fit into it. All I know is that prospective characters are supposed to have graduated from Starfleet Academy at some point. You gotta give people some background details to go on before you interrogate them, man.

Also, that font is fugly as hell.
>>
>>49674734
Online thing.

>>49674803
The TL;DR: Players are a bunch of fresh-faced Ensigns who graduated from SFA just a little too late to ship out to fight the Dominion. Seriously, I gave enough context in that doc to pick that up.

> Also, that font is fugly as hell.
Yeah, well, Google Docs won't let you use your own font because copyright reasons, so I take what I can get. It's only a heading font anyway. You know of a better font for headings/titles that screams "Star Trek" than Federant, feel free to suggest it to me.

Or did you mean the body text, which is just Droid Sans?
>>
>>49674486
As far as backstory goes, that seems reasonable. I can't think of anything else that you'd need specifically.
>>
File: ok.jpg (36KB, 550x393px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
36KB, 550x393px
>>49675050
OK, the part about other conflicts you may remember because you're older threw me off because I forgot you could be any age and still attend SFA.

Still, I assume the players are brought together for a certain mission, assigned to a ship or station that has either a mandate or a specialty or at least will be heading first to one specific sector of the galaxy. The players were chosen for this mission for a reason. I feel like I'd need to know some more hints about what that reason is. Sometimes creativity works best within boundaries, and I'm not sure you want the players who know "I want to be a Klingon!" a.k.a. they always want to play the same archetype.

My main point is that you seem to be expecting the characters to write more than you are for the opening of the game. That puts me off.

>Or did you mean the body text, which is just Droid Sans?
Both of them, man. What is wrong with Arial? Did it fuck your mother? Please, let the writing stand on its own, don't try to be a special snowflake with fonts. ...then again, maybe this is my autismal pet peeve. (pic related is me on the right)
>>
>>49675457
jesus christ it looks like one of those resident evil dogs is trying to escape from its mouth
>>
>>49626142
are any of the tng/ds9 novels any good? i'm interested in reading them and i'm pretty sure that some of them are just novelizations of single episodes
>>
>>49675657
Stay the fuck away from http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine_-_Millennium

That shit was written on an acid trip, I swear.
>>
>>49675657
I heard that Legends and Lore of the Ferengi was a popular book and has the Ferengi buy their warpdrives from the Breen.
>>
>>49675782
Whoa whoa whoa. Those are great books. Emissary Weyoun of the Ascendancy is probably the best Weyoun ever. Plus it has Nog saving the universe by helping a senile Picard change the timeline without doing so.
>>
Talking about books, recently started up the Vanguard series and got thrown out of the mood for it real quick because...

It felt too modern. Am I the only one that had that issue with it?
>>
>>49675457
>Still, I assume the players are brought together for a certain mission, assigned to a ship or station that has either a mandate or a specialty or at least will be heading first to one specific sector of the galaxy.
They were, but I'm not putting that in this document, but another one. If you must know, their first mission is to be flown out to a boneyard of decommissioned vessels, get them operating again, and fly them to the refit yards.

>My main point is that you seem to be expecting the characters to write more than you are for the opening of the game
This is JUST a character questionnaire, not a game intro document.

>Both of them, man. What is wrong with Arial? Did it fuck your mother?
I fucking hate "standard" anything; typed with a Wawa pumpkin spice coffee prepared with one packet of Sweet & Low, two of Equal, one of Splenda, and 2 Tbsp of marshmallows, over ~1/4 cup ice so as to cool the coffee to immediately-potable temperatures.

>>49675657
Do NOT read Dyson Sphere. It's straight-up disaster porn/wankery of impossibly-powerful civilizations throwing neutron stars and shit around as weapons, and the Enterprise-E crew are basically helpless bystanders for the whole fucking thing. It makes my blood boil to read it.
>>
>>49676159
A little too much like a modern Starfleet story, yeah. But I think that's part of its strength. Starfleet starts doing some shady shit right around this time anyway, since Genesis was started in the 60s even with just the movies. Plus it has the Tholians in it, which is always a plus.
>>
File: 51n7TViUbSL.jpg (50KB, 301x500px) Image search: [Google]
51n7TViUbSL.jpg
50KB, 301x500px
>>49675657
Pic related and the Temporal Investigations book. Some of the books that take place during the shows are OK. Stay the hell away from the post-DS9 timelines.
>>
>>49671089
You mean a Nebula-class ship? Shouldn't be terribly difficult, I imagine, just give it stats somewhere between an Intrepid and a Galaxy.
>>
>>49676199
>I fucking hate "standard" anything; typed with a Wawa pumpkin spice coffee prepared with one packet of Sweet & Low, two of Equal, one of Splenda, and 2 Tbsp of marshmallows, over ~1/4 cup ice so as to cool the coffee to immediately-potable temperatures.

I have never hated anyone more in my entire life.
>>
File: 1434168878888.jpg (87KB, 628x788px) Image search: [Google]
1434168878888.jpg
87KB, 628x788px
>>49676199
>They were, but I'm not putting that in this document, but another one.
OK, I was just wondering if you had given them that info before asking sending this entrance examination.

To answer your original question finally, I can't think of anything else I'd want to ask - that's a pretty solid broad base of characterization and anything that isn't covered in that document can be expanded upon later.

>typed with a Wawa pumpkin spice coffee
top kek, well memed, my friend

>>49676238
Shit, I forgot about a Stitch in Time, really enjoyed that one. I'm sure there are others I liked but they were probably lost in the great Storage Unit Apocalypse of 2014.

>>49675878
My favorite part was when he got punched in the face.

>>49676159
I remember enjoying vanguard somewhat and liking the "Worlds of DS9: Dominion" short story, but can't comment on anything after that. They start to get into the mirror universe and Illyana Gaymor, and I could not give a single shit about that plot.
>>
>>49676288
I wub you too, angelhair.

>>49676356
>Shit, I forgot about a Stitch in Time, really enjoyed that one. I'm sure there are others I liked but they were probably lost in the great Storage Unit Apocalypse of 2014.

This sounds like a good story. Share?
>>
File: tumblr_nkltj1gla31t1r46mo1_500.png (215KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkltj1gla31t1r46mo1_500.png
215KB, 500x383px
>>49676374
Let's just say that if you have to leave your things behind in a storage unit for 7 years, put a pallet under your boxes of books. That way thousands of books don't mold away and you don't have to pay people with gasmasks to come in and haul the trash out of there.

Sorry I can't give you the interesting version, all of my old proxies are banned these days.
>>
File: IMG_0908.jpg (43KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0908.jpg
43KB, 320x240px
>>49670443
>>
Anyone else get sad when they remember that Picard gets space alzheimers and turns into a senile crazy old man? I feel like he should have a more dignified end then that, but not enough to invoke Q.
>>
>>49678831
Well, STO did mention that they were nearing a breakthrough cure...
>>
>>49678966
Speaking of STO, ship sale is on right now.
>>
>>49678998
Anything good in the Federation/Romulan camp?
>>
>>49679008
Well, what sorta ship are ya looking for?
Everything is now on a 20% sale.
>>
>>49679033
Oh grand, it's a general sale rather than on specific ships?
I'm hoping to get a the T5-U nebbie and something with crazy firepower for my Romulan
>>
I recently saw the Pacific 201 guy's redesign of the NX series, and I'm digging it. What are some redesigns of ships that you prefer to the original?
>>
>>49679443
Which one is that, the refit?
>>
File: IMG_0909.jpg (81KB, 721x686px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0909.jpg
81KB, 721x686px
I believe he was referring to this
>>
>>49680179
It looks even _more_ like a flipped Akira now.
>>
>>
File: tumblr_npvug8W8MJ1uy8195o1_1280.jpg (154KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npvug8W8MJ1uy8195o1_1280.jpg
154KB, 692x530px
>>
File: 1147681162740.jpg (84KB, 1000x670px) Image search: [Google]
1147681162740.jpg
84KB, 1000x670px
>>49680179
looks like someone just pull the textures off and kept the lighting
>>
File: 1340148418056.jpg (2MB, 2085x1561px) Image search: [Google]
1340148418056.jpg
2MB, 2085x1561px
>>
File: the_final_overture_.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
the_final_overture_.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>49682694
>>
File: Pioneer.jpg (201KB, 2866x1722px) Image search: [Google]
Pioneer.jpg
201KB, 2866x1722px
Any STO players around today? I'm looking to fly a Paladin (with Ranger skin) at endgame and was wondering what equipment I should be working towards. Planning to use phasers if that makes any difference.
>>
So what do you reckon happened to the saucer section of the Enterprise D? Left to rot on the surface of bumblefuck IV? Recovered and turned into museum? Refurbished and strapped onto a new stardrive section with a fresh coat of paint and a brand new name?
>>
>>49683609
I believe it was dismantled and recycled. There was too much structural damage and I think about 75-80% of all components were a complete loss. It would have taken longer to salvage, repair, refurbish, and create a new stardrive for one saucer than to make a whole new ship.
>>
>>49683304

I'd recommend getting the Quantum Phase Catalysts Set (it enhances phaser damage, and has a nice big gun for the three piece)

>http://sto.gamepedia.com/Quantum_Phase_Catalysts

If you've got the TOS Connie, you can use her to get the blue phasers, and then use the upgrade menu when you're ~level 60 to upgrade them to Mk. XII. The Paladin's console already enhances phaser damage, so you're pretty much set once you have +phaser damage consoles.

I set up my particular ship to use the Solanae shield+rest using Kobali (I have the Warp Core from the Samsar, which is a big reason to use it) while I work toward unlocking the Temporal Agent rep gear upgrade. You could use the Quantum Phase Applications set as well.

>http://sto.gamepedia.com/Solanae_Hybrid_Technologies

>http://sto.gamepedia.com/Quantum_Phase_Applications

>http://sto.gamepedia.com/Kobali_Regenerative_Circuitry
>>
>>49683609
Probably scrapped, it'd just be easier to build a new galaxy to whatever new specs they had by that point. They also have to recover all their tech so that the civilization in that system doesn't stumble across it once they reach space
>>
File: tLBONL5.jpg (757KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tLBONL5.jpg
757KB, 1920x1080px
>>49683760
Thanks.
>>
>>49683959

If you do decide to pick up either the Solanae set or the Quantum Phase Applications set (specifically the deflectors), I'd recommend slotting Tachyon Beam I. Nice low level shield stripper enhanced by all of the gear in the post you replied to.

And then you've got two big guns, the one from the Catalysts set, and the Molecular Deconstruction Beam.

One my Nautilus I use the MDB, Destabilizing Resonance Beam III, and the Quantum Destabilizing Beam (and little Tachyon Beam for the shield stripping).

Takes out 100k+ hp PvE enemies in no time flat. You can either hit them with everything, or space it out among targets. I prefer to alpha strike with it myself.
>>
>>49683609
It was scrapped. They couldn't leave it on Viridian IV, because the natives of Viridian III would have interplanetary landing capability far sooner than they would have had Warp Drive, and Viridian IV sharing a Class-M designation with Viridian III would make landing and colonization trivial by comparison to, say, landing on and colonizing Mars. Also, if the natives had so much as telescopes, that giant gouge the Big E's saucer left in Viridian IV would have already been obvious.

So they had no choice but to go back, scrap the saucer in segments, haul it away, and bring in earthmoving equipment to repair the gouge, then plant new forestry to fill the gap.
>>
>>49684468
>So they had no choice but to go back, scrap the saucer in segments, haul it away, and bring in earthmoving equipment to repair the gouge, then plant new forestry to fill the gap.
Fucking prime directive...
>>
>>49684575
Even without the Prime Directive, you don't want to leave a literal shipload of Starfleet's finest technology, including some very powerful phasers and shield generators, where any asshat, Klingon, or Romulan can just said by and salvage it; also there's the environmental impact to consider.
>>
Not directly Star Steel related, but I'm working on a gam ended around cataloguing procedurally generated aliens. Part of this is their diet. I was thinking of something along the lines of analyzing alien poop or corpses to figure out some of what they eat, and also letting the player disperse drones to just gather random plants found in the alien's habitat.

But, what if the thing only eats a very specific type of plant? I was trying to figure out if there was some way to determine WHY they eat a certain thing. Like X plant has Y nutrients that they need. Maybe these nutrients can be synthesized on your ship so can keep them in captivity? I don't know. Spitballing. Any input is appreciated.
>>
>>49684833
Generally. mother nature is pretty good at improvising. Having the aliens have to eat something isn't too much of an issue - vitamins and "essential" nutrients are all named as such because the human body can't synthesise them itself - but having them ONLY eat it is an issue. Deficiencies in some nutrients won't kill you real quick, and the human body (along with others, presumably), can manage for quite a while on just basic things. I think your closest analogue to find'd be pandas, to be honest, although even they derive most of their useful nutrients from the insects living on the bamboo rather than the shoots themselves.
>>
So whats the deal with the TOS miniskirt uniform? Do even the old lady admirals wear them? Is there a (heavens forbid) pants version?
>>
>>49686868
In TNG there's a male background character prominently wearing a miniskirt uniform, I assume they're just an option.
>>
>>49686868
Optional, but apparently it's seen as bad form for a woman to wear the pants version, unless she's a Captain. This applied to JAG too, based on Star Trek Vanguard, which would make the courtroom somewhat uncomfortable.
>>
>>49686868
Out of universe the actresses refused to give them up as well because they loved showing off their legs so much.

I personally make this part of my headcanon. Starfleet is too sexy not to wear miniskirts.
>>
>>49686868

In the original pilot, they wore pants.

The TOS miniskirt is there for those who like to show off their legs, and the pants are there for those who don't (or plan on getting dirty planetside).
>>
>>49674486

I thought you did really good with those questions.

The only thing I would add is a question regarding the player's time in Starfleet academy.

For example, many military academies have second year students help the first year students. A large part of the reason they do that is to show the second years just how far they've come along, to remind them what they were like as a first year (undisciplined, weak, ignorant of military procedure and etiquette).

Anyway, so I think there should be a question regarding who they were in the Academy (were they a problem student? a brown nose? top of their class?) and how the Academy changed them (perhaps they were shy and nervous, but learned self-confidence, or maybe they were a hothead who learned self-discipline)
>>
>>49687288
This is a good suggestion.
>>
File: d5.jpg (62KB, 778x436px) Image search: [Google]
d5.jpg
62KB, 778x436px
>>
>>49688725

Is that some kind of assault shuttle on top?
>>
>>49688815
Yes!
>>
>>49688725
>doesn't have a thin little ostrich neck that would snap in a stiff breeze

I already prefer it to the D7.
>>
File: d6.jpg (126KB, 1565x823px) Image search: [Google]
d6.jpg
126KB, 1565x823px
>>
>>49688965
>>49688725
I would totally command an armada of museum klingon ships, they make FASA and SFB designs seem lazy.
>>
File: sfklingonf5.jpg (18KB, 425x584px) Image search: [Google]
sfklingonf5.jpg
18KB, 425x584px
>>49689407
Same. Though I like a few of the SFB designs, like the F5 for a Klingon Bird Of Prey alternative.

The rest just miss the point with the aesthetics in some notable way.
>>
Thinking about it, it's weird how few designs there are for klingon ships there are, let alone good designs, despite being pretty much the #2 screentime people.

So here's a challenge: post good klingon ships that are not from the show. Preferably with fluff, would be nice to build a cohesive but more varied fleet outlay from TOS to end of DS9 era.

I assume SFO has a buttload of designs ranging from godawful to decent?
>>
>>49689632
Mostly godawful, but I still fly around in my D7 at lvl 60.
>>
>>49689632
I just learned today that you could mix and match ships, if I remember I might post mine tomorrow. Mixed the Qin and Birok to make the raptor more reminiscent of the older D7/K'tinga style
>>
>>49660994
I think the Prometheus class is like having 2 destroyers and a science/exploration vessel all rolled into one. I don't know I just like the concept of being able to have a science vessel being able to kick ass when needed. And it evolves the idea introduced with Galaxy class and makes it better and more useful. Of ships being able to split apart and instantly double/triple your force on target ability. So is there anyway to improve this idea?
>>
File: gul dukat victorious.jpg (92KB, 753x575px) Image search: [Google]
gul dukat victorious.jpg
92KB, 753x575px
One last bump before I go to bed.
>>
I'm filling out an example of my character questionnaires. I kind of turned it into a novel, but in it I engineered a funny-as-fuck scene: Deep Space 9, during the Dominion War, when the Klinks are friends again.

Quark's full of drunken, rowdy Klingons singing drunken, rowdy Klingon drinking songs to the annoyance of everyone who isn't Klingon. Someone notices that there's a lot of Guinness flowing from the bar and that, including Miles O'Brien and Julian Bashir and the crew of various ships who are fulminating in the Klingon musical atmosphere, there's about fifteen personnel from Great Britain and Ireland. Someone overrides the bar's speakers to get some music playing and jumps up on a table, launching into 'Star of the County Down.' Come to the refrain, O'Brien leads the pack in jumping to their feet and overriding the Klingon drinking song with sheer volume.

> From Bantry Bay and to Derry's Quay;
> From Galway to Dublin-Town;
> No Maid I've seen like the fair Colleen;
> that I met in the County Down!

Of course, an affray would have to ensue, but what's drinking and drinking songs without a good, old-fashioned pub rumble, eh?
>>
>>49691766
It's called a destroyer tender. Take something the size of a Sovereign filled with antimatter and torpedoes, and duct tape some Defiants to it. Solves the range issue handily without the drawbacks of the Prometheus's middle section.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroyer_tender
>>
>>49692657
Dukat now serves a group of beings even more malicious than the Pah wraiths: Human teenagers!
>>
Should i start making a new thread or should we wait till post 310?
>>
File: IMG_0906.jpg (60KB, 618x464px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0906.jpg
60KB, 618x464px
>>49693220
May as well wait out the last few posts, seeing as we might actually make it to 310 this time.

Have a contemplative Vreenak for your troubles.
>>
File: IMG_0789.jpg (347KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0789.jpg
347KB, 1080x1080px
>>
STO people, any notion of an effective build for a T5-U advanced science retrofit? (The Nebula Class).
>>
So was it just a thing in the old TOS show to have several races evolved beyond humanity that they had no chance to fight. What was the point and what would happen if these guys bumped into each other or a not human race? What happens to Klingons or Romulans meet a 'Q'? Do they just die or they smart enough to just give the god-like being what it wants and then get the fuck out of dodge.
>>
>>49694594
The Klingons seem to have run into a few of them. They know to steer clear of them. Whereas the Romulan Empire isn't big on deep space exploration, so they may not have encountered the same number of species.
>>
>>49692935
Destroyer tender? Don't you know this is Star Trek? Every single ship class has to be a Cruiser of some sort!
>>
File: USSMLKpicsmall029.jpg (26KB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
USSMLKpicsmall029.jpg
26KB, 400x253px
>>49694754
Dude has a point. Good thing there is FASA, SFB, and fandom to keep things sane on the class front.
>>
File: IMG_0814.jpg (172KB, 800x470px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0814.jpg
172KB, 800x470px
>>
>>49693220

Remember, it's 'Star Trek ADMIRAL'.
>>
>>49695840
Aight, new thread is up, called it as /STA/ now since anon wanted it to be called that.

>>49695945
>>49695945
>>49695945
>>
>>49694163
>pick your favorite rep set
>pick your favorite flavor of beams
>terran rep beam
>plasmonic leech
>pick your favorite flavor of embassy plasma explosion consoles
>+Beam locator consoles (unless the rest of your beams match the terran rep beam, then +that)
>all the FAW you can handle
>feedback pulse
>grav well
>fill out the rest as you like
>win
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 78

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.