[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 378
Thread images: 34

File: 1464917606744.jpg (2MB, 1373x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1464917606744.jpg
2MB, 1373x2000px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous session >>49599875
>>
No topic? How about this

What Class would you most like to see made into an Archetype?
>>
>>49614440
Tinkerer type thing for Wizard, because I want to make Clokwork.
>>
>>49614440
Existing class? Ranger

Of other games? Some of the Pathfinder classes like Alchemist or Witch.

In general? I want a "swordmaster" monk that uses Ki to enhance their animu sword fighting, possibly an entire weapon master that focuses on a group of non-standard monk weapons.
>>
I'm building a character. It's a third level variant human battle master. I want them to wield a whip and be competent.

I have a pretty decent build (Sentinel, whip and shield, superiority dice to augment damage).

However, the idea of dual-wielding whips is hilarious to me. Would a dual-whip-wielder be humongously underpowered?
>>
>>49614516

I'd love some Alchemist love.

>In general? I want a "swordmaster" monk that uses Ki to enhance their animu sword fighting, possibly an entire weapon master that focuses on a group of non-standard monk weapons

I actually just wrote a monk subclass about that...
>>
>>49614516
Could try making a monk that lets you get spend ki for Battlemaster stuff.
>>
>>49614516
What about the Kensei in the DMs Trove mega?
>>
>>49614440
I don't give a shit about more classes. What I want is a spell compendium and an arms and equipment guide. I hate how the equipment in the PHB is pretty much just fluff and easy to succeed DCs.
>>
>>49614516
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, pick a single non-heavy martial weapon. You become proficient with that type of weapon, and treat it as a monk weapon.

When you could make an unarmed attack through your Flurry of Blows ability, you can instead make those attacks with the weapon you chose as part of this feature.

> Extension of Self
At level 6, you have become so attuned to your chosen weapon that it acts like an extension of your body.

You learn a series of maneuvers that are fueled by your mystical connection to your weapon.

Maneuvers. You learn two maneuvers of your choice, which are detailed below. Most maneuvers can only be used as part of your Flurry of Blows ability, unless otherwise noted. You learn one additional maneuver of your choice at 10th and 15th level. Each time you learn a maneuver, you can also replace one maneuver you know with a different one.

You may only use these maneuvers if you possess the type of weapon you gained proficiency with as part of your Weapon Mastery feature.

Ki Points. Each maneuver you use costs 1 ki point, in addition to the ki point used to Flurry of Blows.

> Improved Weapon Mastery
At 11th level, your connection to your weapon improves. While wielding the weapon you chose as part of the Weapon Mastery feature, you cannot be disarmed, and your attacks with that weapon count as magical for the purposes of resistances and immunities.

> Decisive Strike
At 17th level, your connection to your weapon has transcended the boundaries of mortal thought, becoming an extension of your soul. When you make an attack with your weapon, you may expend between 1 and 10 ki points. If you hit with that attack, you deal additional damage. This damage is equal to 2d10 per expended ki point. This damage is of the same type as your Weapon Mastery weapon.

Maneuvers coming in Part 2.
>>
>>49614516

Part 2

> Maneuvers

Disarming Attack. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack while using your Flurry of Blows, you can expend 1 ki point to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it's holding. Add your Martial Arts die to the damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw against your Ki save DC. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

Evasive Footwork. When you move, you can expend 1 ki point, rolling your Martial Arts die and adding the
number rolled to your AC until you stop moving.

Iajutsu. You may spend 1 ki point to add your Martial Arts die to your initiative roll at the start of combat.

Parry. When another creature damages you with a melee attack, you can spend 1 ki point to reduce the damage by the number you roll on one of your Martial Arts dice + your Dexterity modifier.

Precision Attack. When you make a weapon attack using your Flurry of Blows, you can expend 1 ki point to add your Martial Arts die to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

Riposte. When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to spend 1 ki point to make an attack with the weapon you chose as part of your Weapon Mastery feature. If you hit, you add your Martial Arts die to the attack's damage roll.

Trip Attack. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack using your Flurry of Blows, you can expend 1 ki point to attempt to knock the target down. You add your Martial Arts die the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you knock the target prone.
>>
Has anyone here used the "Spawning pool of elder things" Homebrew on the DM Guild?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/180382/Spawning-Pool-of-the-Elder-Things?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

If its good i'll buy it.
>>
I play 3e and 4e.

I like what I see about 5e, I like the shallow power curve and the lack of item dependency, I like the easy character creation, and it looks like an elegant system in general, simple-but-good.

If I take the time to sit down with 5e and learn the rules, what am I going to be disappointed by?

In particular, is there finally some non-combat balance between classes, where everyone gets to have options for creative problem-solving and influencing the world around them? Because 4e really fell down there, rituals were a good idea implemented badly.

5e combat doesn't need to be a deep and satisfying strategy game because I have 4e for that.
>>
>>49614440
Something akin to the Geomancer PrC from 3.5. Basically a Druid with more subtle / subdued but permanent wild shaping that grows in severity as they level(from claws to photosynthesic skin to a camel hump or feathers etc)
>>
>>49614543
>>49614516

how do you balance Alchemist since it can create infinite healing potions over time?

Any character can heal themselves for a large amount with an action and a potion and it makes "healer" characters like Life cleric needless except for emergencies and rez

I like alchy but it seems powerful with blaster bombs and super utility, not to mention it doesn't need spell slots and can store effects forever
>>
>>49614661
sounds more like a mutant who mutates as they level the way you describe it
>>
>>49614687
You'd have to really think about fluff vs. mechanics. Simply translating the mechanics straight up would make for a retarded class.

I remember reading one Artificer class that had good mechanics...I'll need to go look at it.
>>
>>49614619
>>49614597
I think giving what is effectively "extra attack" at third level, then still getting extra attack at fifth (3 attacks with up to a d10 weapon!) is pretty crazy, even if you need high strength, wis, AND dex to be able to hit and still have a reasonable AC.
This is like 11th level fighter stuff.
>>
>>49614724
Hm? How so? You can only make the attack with the single weapon with your Flurry of Blows, which is the only thing that the level 3 ability changes.

Essentially, it just changes the damage die of the weapon. You gain a bit extra damage in exchange for not getting the goodies that the other subclasses get as part of their Flurry of Blows.

Unless I'm missing something, of course. It is late and painkillers are a hell of a drug.
>>
>>49614440
Don't know what class, but I still really want an Alchemist in any form.
>>
So I'm wanting to design some magic items, or find them if they've already been made. Specifically, items that increase a spellcasters spell save DC, or that allows for multiple concentration spells to be in effect at once.

you guys know anything about that, or where I could go to find some?
>>
>group has an artist who draws depictions of the group's best moments

I fucking love this kind of player more than anything

>>49614535
I mean just using a straight up greatsword would be better damage wise,

you'll be fine though, battlemaster is really good and you can supplement your lack of damage with your superiority die/extra attacks/action surge.

A paladin whip user could be good too, smiting fuckers with a whip.
>>
>>49614898
>Specifically, items that increase a spellcasters spell save DC, or that allows for multiple concentration spells to be in effect at once.

the concentration one would be broken.
>>
>>49614687
Well healing potions are magic potions, just common ones so you say an alchemist must use some magic to make potions quickly.
>>
>>49614687
Would be neat to have an healing archetype called Apothecary and a damage one thats plague doctor-ish with poisons and the like, but that's just me.
>>
Anyone else feel like SKT doesn't have much in the way of magic items/ significant treasure?

I'm gonna run it soon and it's weird, compared to LMoP it feels very loot-deprived.

In LMoP it was like, here's a +1 longsword of a legendary knight in an area the group maybe be exploring on even the 2nd or 3rd session. In SKT there's a random magic item from the A table in the DMG guide, which could be a bag of holding or driftglobe I guess.

I'm just going to add in some shit here and there, still feels a bit lame
>>
>>49614955
I don't see why they nerfed casters so hard with Concentration, there's other ways to do that shit

At least give an extra concentration slot per so many Intelligence (3 or something) so magic users other than Wiz want that stat
>>
>>49615105
That's retarded, anon.
>>
>>49615105
it would also make Wizards more special even when using a concentration spell since they SHOULD be able to be better at invisibility than a fuck-off Bard
>>
>>49615128
>Wizards need to be better

growingconcern.jpg
>>
Tell me about Druids and how to play one. Land and Moon both, I guess.
>>
>>49615110
explain concentration

the most powerful Pope Cleric in the world can't curse some shithead and bless his buddy, shit makes no sense
>>
File: monk.jpg (168KB, 826x648px) Image search: [Google]
monk.jpg
168KB, 826x648px
Can someone explain to me why Monks, the multiple attribute dependent warriors utterly dedicated to perfecting mind and body, get less ability score improvements than fighters?
>>
>>49615142
not better, different

explain how they aren't better at magic like invis than a bard? I don't understand that shit
>>
They really should release a few more Cleric domains.
>>
>>49615200
because fighter is DEFAULT FIGHT MAN so they love them the most
>>
>>49615190
Because mortals have a limit on the power they can continuously channel, and some spells can last for an extended time, but only while the caster continually exerts effort on maintaining them. Naturally, they cannot maintain more than one of these at once.
>>49615200
Because fighters still never get to consider their bodies magical weapons, or will themselves out of visibility or the material plane, or surpass mortal boundaries like food and water or language.
>>
>>49615190
>>49615206
Have you actually played 5e?
>>
File: ball-bearings.jpg (55KB, 400x242px) Image search: [Google]
ball-bearings.jpg
55KB, 400x242px
If you're running a FR campaign, (which Wizards wants you to do, apparently), and your rogue thief purchases some ball bearings, or gains them through a pack, then who makes them? It's not your standard Sword Coast blacksmith's ability to manufacture these things, so who the fuck is making these things? What else are they being used for?
>>
>>49615245
Not that there's anything wrong with your point in terms of mechanical balance but it doesn't really address the question. Giving Fighters more ability score improvements is kind of a spit to the monk's face, and really highlights just how poorly Wizards does with class themes.
>>
>>49615274
Where do you thing the Red Wizards of Thay get their money?

cast Fabricate on a sheet of metal, turn them into balls for murderhobos to scatter on the ground, ?????, profit.jpg
>>
>>49615298
>muh class don't get more ASIs, WotC is shit

Monks are for weebs, they shouldn't be a standard class in the first place.
>>
Hey there, anons. Race-building guy back again repeating his inevitable request for criticisms and suggestions as to which race to tackle next.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

For those who'd rather not poke around and try to figure it out, here's the direct list of races I need to get written up:
Pterran
Bladeling
Fey'ri
Rogue Modron
Hamadryad
Satyr
Huldra
Dust Genasi
Rain Genasi
Magma Genasi
Blight Genasi
Smoke Genasi
Tanuki
Mujina
Kawauso
Bakeneko
Itachi
Tengu
Spellscale

Criticisms brought up in the last thread:
* Racial feats are near-universally overpowered; need help toning those down.

* Many races are either bland, underpowered or both - need help boosting them up. Finding more "fluffy" racial traits and switching out the boring "free proficiency" skills is definitely on the list.

As an aside, could really use help figuring out where to go with the Spellscale and Yokai races. The former in particular... I wonder... Maybe go for a subrace mechanic based on Draconic Ancestry, and give 'em damage resistance, spell-like abilities and possibly other features based on canon dragons? Because, honestly, the old Blood Quickening mechanic probably wouldn't work in 5e and was kind of bland back then anyway?

Oh, I just realised... I've been focusing mostly on the crunch, but, maybe I should take a step back and try writing up racial fluff instead? Or should I leave that until I have all of the races statted?
>>
File: 1473971222821.png (561KB, 800x923px) Image search: [Google]
1473971222821.png
561KB, 800x923px
>>49615329
Monks predate weebs, you twat. They're older than clerics.
The weebs always play paladins for 'muh justice and holy sword', or bladesinger for 'muh sick magic sword techniques', or barbarian for 'muh unbreakable determination and character wearing cool sexy clothes and no armor'.
>>
>>49615302
Why isn't Thay experiencing an industrial revolution, then?
>>
>>49615253
I only play FATAL because I disagree with you I guess
>>
>>49615200
>>49615214
>>49615245
What about full casters get 4 ASI's, Ranger and Paladin get 5, Monk and Rogue get 6, and fighter and barbarian gets 7?
>>
>>49615382
>barbarian
>weeb class
>>
File: ZZeoBuD.jpg (332KB, 800x1135px) Image search: [Google]
ZZeoBuD.jpg
332KB, 800x1135px
>>49615464
How often do you play with weebs, anon?
>>
Hey, anons? I was just flicking through my old copy of Psionic Power for 4e, found the Soaring Blade paragon path, and... I'll get down to the point: does anyone think that the 5e monk has the mechanical ability to handle a subclass about being an unarmed sword-wielding master? You know, ala the fighter's Kensai kit or the wuxia sword master?
>>
>>49614418
I just realized... well I'll start my thought from the beginning. WotC has been foreshadowing their plotlines for each adventure they have published: like the cloud giant castle in Horde of the Dragon Queen.

I just realized that one of the dark powers of Ravenloft fucking escaped the amber temple. What adventure will be spawned from this? What old school Greyhawk baddie can be coming to FR (assuming the theories of Barovia originally coming from Greyhawk are correct)? Any star themed bad guys from AD&D (the other powers in the vault are star themed)?
>>
>>49615329
What is it with you nerds and weebs? Suddenly anything remotely oriental is shit for people who watch too much anime. I like Kung Fu, I like that fanciful high flying mystical warrior shit. Why can't I like that? What the fuck does it have to do with anime? I don't even watch anime
>>
File: fuckyeah.jpg (15KB, 186x300px) Image search: [Google]
fuckyeah.jpg
15KB, 186x300px
>>49615537
>>
>>49615489
Go for it.
>>
>>49615689
I'd love to, but I can't for the life of me figure out what subclass features and ki powers to give them.
>>
>>49614440
>What Class would you most like to see made into an Archetype?

I've recently fallen in love with the pathfinder Occultist, and I would like to see something similar done for 5e. A roguish class that gathers items of historical/emotional value and draws power from them, gaining minor magical abilities. I'm thinking maybe a rogue archetype with something akin to ki or sorcery points, and the ability to learn a new power (based on some kind of item or implement) every level as you level up. Kind of the 'I wear 15 holy symbols because one of them probably wards off undead' kinda guy.
>>
>>49615537
>assuming the theories of Barovia originally coming from Greyhawk are correct
They're not. Barovia isn't from any established D&D settings. It's instead left vague for DMs to fit it into their own setting if they want (like Crawford has for the games he runs).
>>
How do I covince the GM to start with a Griffon mount? Wanted my character was adopted by Mount trainers.
>>
>>49615933
Try sucking his dick.
>>
>>49615933
By starting the game at high levels and forsaking your starting magic item of choice for an epic mount.
>>
>>49615855
It at least has a lot of nods in Curse of Strahd, but I like the idea of >>49615684 being right and we see this guy in FR.
>>
>>49615941
But Im saving myself for marraige
>>
>>49615963
You're still a Virgin if all you've done is suck dick. This is why it isn't gay to suck dick. It simply doesn't count as sex.
>>
File: 1451118452013.jpg (59KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
1451118452013.jpg
59KB, 355x355px
>made the mistake of playing a non-magic using Human in a roll20 campaign that has dynamic lighting

Jesus christ this is miserable.

None of the spellcasters picked light as a cantrip either, as all of them have darkvision since fucking everyone gets darkvision.

What the fuck can I do about this other than sacrifice my offhand to carry a fuckin torch 24/7.

>>49615933
Your GM would have to be completely retarded to give you a flying mount pre level 9+
>>
>finally get my own handbook

>next session is canceled

Goddamn it. Cheer me up /5eg/
>>
>>49616169
Lantern? Argue that it could be strapped on a belt or something.
Magic initiate for light spells?
Skulker feat?
>>
>>49616331
My DM would probably let me strap a lantern on my belt, cheers.

Got real tired of being in pitch darkness when literally everyone else can see perfectly fine on top of having a number of racial abilities.

Why are Humans such shit?
>>
>that guy who is constantly doing things wrong to his advantage

This nigga's adding his proficiency bonus to his damage, among other things.

I'd think he's just new but I'm pretty sure he's played alot before. I think he's a straight up cheater taking advantage of the DM's trust. Also lied to the DM about having his shield, when he was two-handing his weapon.

Don't really want to cause drama/come off like a Rules Lawyer, but he's just blatantly doing things wrong to his own benefit.
>>
>>49616331
>>49616377
They got tired of humans being good for every class due to the bonus feat, so they nerfed them too hard.

Also, I don't know if it's still a thing in 5e, but a burned out grey Ioun stone with continual flame cast on it is a staple of 3.PF that should be within the rules.
>>
Wait, do clerics know ALL spells their class has, and can pick any they want to prepare for the next day?
>>
>>49616169
I have the problem of players still not knowing basic shit. God damn they're 7th level, how do you still forget what dice to roll for your weapon and what profiency does?!
>>
>>49616475
Fuck That Guy. Lawyer him outside the game to let him know you know he's BSing, if he continues, lawyer him outside the game to the GM. After that, it's the GM's issue, and they should handle it accordingly.

>>49616542
They know all the spells on the cleric spell list that they'd be able to cast.
>>
>>49616571
>They know all the spells on the cleric spell list that they'd be able to cast.
What would they not be able to cast? Are there school restrictions based on divine domain?
>>
>>49616635
they wouldn't be able to cast spells that are beyond their level. A level 2 cleric can't cast Animate Dead, for example, because it's a 3rd-level spell and they can only cast 1st-level spells and cantrips.

Domains don't restrict spells. Actually, they give you extra spells that don't count towards your prepared spells limit.

Have you considered reading the Cleric section of the PHB? Or are you just confused?
>>
>>49616687
No I just didn't know clerics have all their spells, the PHB wasn't explicit about it.
>>
I've just rolled up a paladin for a new campaign and one thing is bugging me, I can't figure out how much I can use the oath list spells per long rest. RAW says you have any unlocked oath spells always prepared, but I'm not sure if using them takes up one of your spell slots, or if you can use each oath spell once per long rest, or something else.
>>
>>49617055
They're on your spell list. They take a spell slot to cast.
>>
>>49614687
Money.
Alchemy costs money. Each healing potion, each napalm bomb, those are all coming out of 5e's already tight budget. PCs only really make money when adventuring, so the alchemist must keep going for gold to fund their anything.
How do you balance such a finite resource against a Cleric's full spell bracket from a Long Rest?
>>
>>49617055
this>>49617068
most domain/circle/whatever spell lists are basically there to teach you extra spells, but are mandatory choices
>>
>>49615415
Because magic isn't mass production, i'd assume that ball bearings are just the result of Transmutation wizards trying to make rent
>>
>>49614440
What classes i'd like to see reworked as archetypes into other classes?

Ranger as Druidic version of Eldritch knight, fighter archetype.
Use the new UA ranger features and mix and match the existing ranger subclass feature into it in a balanced way.

Monk as fighter archetype.
Make unarmoured combat a fighting style that grants you unarmoured movement as well.
Fighters get the basic 1d4 unarmed damage die with either STR or DEX and martial arts option when they aren't wearing armour.
Lvl 3 feature is Ki + Ki enforced unarmed strikes + pick one ''discipline'' (lvl 3 feature from the existing sub classes)

Lvl 6 feature nets you the evasion ability and Dex save proficiency.

And so on. Just integrate the base monk features as sub-class featues+existing monk sub-class feature of your choice.
>>
Just DM'ed for a new group. I think the players must have only had shit or mediocre GMs in the past, because they were all talking about how great the session was, even though I honestly didn't think it was a particularly good session. As far as 1st sessions with strangers go though, it was pretty good.

Only point of conflict in the session was this, and I want /5eg/ to tell me what they think:

When I DM, and a player makes an ability check wherein the outcome is not immediately obvious, I roll for them behind my screen, using their relevant modifiers of course. Something like athletics or acrobatics, they roll because it's them actively doing something that has a clear effect. For something like Insight, I roll.

I do so for a number of reasons, chiefly because i don't like the involuntary meta.

For example, say Dietrich rolls for insight to tell whether the Bandit is telling the truth about the next room being trapped. He rolls, and gets a 2.

If I say, "You can't make anything out by the Bandit's mannerisms", then the roll was pointless and just a waste of our time. He didn't learn anything, and knows that he didn't learn anything because he rolled a 2.

If I say, after Dietrich's 2, that the bandit is totally telling the truth, everyone immediately knows that the bandit's a lying sack of shit.

So instead, I roll for Dietrich. Nobody knows what I rolled. I then tell Dietrich whatever the roll would have gotten him. Because nobody knows what was rolled, they have to take the information I give them at face value, without any meta knowledge.

Dietrich's character doesn't know he rolled a 2. He's just trying to figure the Bandit out, then comes to whatever conclusion the roll gets him.

I do the same for something like Stealth, because too many times I've had "Alright, I'll sneak in there. (Rolls something low). Ahh, nevermind.", happen. Sure, I could force the player to commit, but then he's not happy and there's no drama; he'll be detected.

Is this autistic?
>>
>>49614440
>What Class would you most like to see made into an Archetype?
You mean what class would I like if they weren't a class at all but an archetype for another one? Having more classes is always better than less, so none of them.
>>
>>49617448 (you)
Actually I retract that statement, more classes is bad if it sets a precedent for something stupid. Like a class based around crafting that can't have more than a few crafted items in existence at once because shut up.
>>
>>49616169
Get a lantern, light it up, strap it onto your belt like a Dragon's Dogma character.

The hooded one gives you 20 more feet of light (10 bright and 10 dim) than the torch and is hands free.
>>
Please explain why the suggested starting equipment for pretty much every class is enough to send you into "encumbered" territory?

like I have 10 str and the explorer's kit alone practically puts me into encumbered.

>>49617670
Stealth characters without darkvision still get completely fucked though.
>>
>>49617682
Because it's assumed that you drop your backpack on the ground before going into battle proper.
>>
>>49617701
That's fucking stupid.

Atleast nobody uses encumbrance.
>>
>>49617682
I play other systems where darkvision isn't a thing and all player characters are humans by default and this isn't an issue because nobody actually cares.
In 5e games that aren't on Roll20 with dynamic lighting, nobody cares.
It's just when you turn on the dynamic lighting that you now get constantly reminded of this thing nobody cares about but fucks a random couple of races in a really unfun way.
The answer is don't use dynamic lighting.
>>
>>49617782
Yea, hence why I said it was a huge fucking mistake to play a Human on Roll20.

I asked my DM about it, he's reasonable so I'd imagine he'll help me out somehow.

This very first session had us fighting in a completely black cave and I, a greatsword-using fighter, just got completely fucked because I couldn't use my greatsword since I needed a fucking torch.

meanwhile the half-elf is running around being able to see 60ft while also being immune to magical sleep and having advantage vs charm and having two skills

but I get +1 to all my stats! three of which don't fucking matter and since we're using point buy, I still can't have anything over a 16 so the freed up points don't really do shit for me. Oh, the Half-Elf also gets +1 to two of his choice and +2 to CHA.

Fucking joke man.
>>
>>49617828
Yup, half elf is ridiculously good. Humans don't come close unless they're variant.
>>
>>49617846
Every single race completely leaves standard Human in the dust.

I'll ask my DM if I can be a variant Human instead; the loss of the +1s to everything actually will not effect shit.

Still I feel even Variant Human doesn't really make up for it. Sure I could take GWM and do more damage; still can't see, still have worse stats, still have less skills, still don't have resistance to magic shit.
>>
>>49614796
I know there are some that exist, but I homemake all of my magic items. I would just say "here's a hat that lets you hold two concentration spells for 3 turns"
>>
>>49614687
Does anyone else really wanna homebrew an alchemist now?
>>
>>49617374
> 5e
> Dietrich
Fucking triggered.
>>
>>49614418
Is new arcana coming out today?
>>
Hey guys, I'm new to 5e and I'm wondering about spell save DCs. I know it's 8 + ability mod + proficiency. Does your general proficiency bonus apply to these? I know it's probably a stupid question, but I don't want to assume and be wrong.
>>
>>49614440
Still want a better Warlord than the Battlemaster Fighter, but not holding out hope.
>>
Is Purple Dragon Knight the most disappointing archetype?
>>
>>49618385
I liked the look of it but admit to now examining it too hard, what's the problem with it?
>>
>>49618293
Yes? It seems as if you think there's more than one proficiency modifier.

5e is hard and fast about its Number + Abilty Mod + Proficiency ruling
>>
>>49618408
Shit, of course. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Thanks, anon!
>>
Best prewritten 5e Adventures?
>>
>>49618495
Anything by Chris Perkins.
>>
>>49614543
>In general? I want a "swordmaster" monk that uses Ki to enhance their animu sword fighting, possibly an entire weapon master that focuses on a group of non-standard monk weapons
So Iron Soul Monk as archetype?
>>
Yesterday I dm'ed for my group. It's my first time as a dm (used to be a player in that group before). Party consists of a wizard, a sorcerer, a lore bard, a ranger and a paladin, sort of heavy on the caster side.
While I was a player, every encounter used to be "okay shatter this, shatter that, everything dead". Then they learned 3rd level spells and fireball became the new shatter. The wizard is a new player (and new to dnd), I was surprised by how easily she adopted the "let's fireball everything" way of fighting.
I even made a DM's PC for a specific encounter and had him jump in the middle of the enemy lines to discourage them from burning everything and he ended up taking 60 fire damage from the PCs and only 10 from the creatures.
Next fight was with some shades with fire resistance, I was hinting them that they don't seem to get harmed by the fireballs, but they still killed them with 3 fireballs (instead of something like, 3-4 magic missiles).
They literally fireball everything unless it's a SINGLE enemy

TL;DR: How the fuck do I motivate the pyromancers in my group to actually revert to being wizards and sorcerers and cast a fucking spell that isn't fireball. Should every other encounter be "a group of stealthy orc commandos just dropped from the ceiling and landed between the PCs"
>>
>>49618743
That's what I'd call an unsalvageable group friendo

Assumedly the lore bard has fireball too?

If the groups willing to cheese the fuck out of the game and sacrifice any semblance of combat then they're just a shit group, frankly.

Otherwise, don't let them long rest. Wear em' down with a series of encounters throughout the day.

They try to take a long rest? Roll behind the screen, oh no looks like you're getting jumped.

Honestly I wouldn't bother trying to untangle that mess. I only allow one arcane caster in my 4-man parties. It's just silly with multiple full arcane casters.
>>
>Playing long death monk in a one shot
>GM gave us a magic item of our choice
>Mine is +1 hand wraps that whenever I score a crit I gain 2 ki
>GM "Thanks kinda weak, make it 4 ki"
>BBEG fight when everybody is death or near death
>GM "...I made a huge mistake"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2HsVzdA8dk
>>
>>49618743
Aren't you having encounters in towns or wooded areas? they shouldn't be casting fireball without massive collateral damage.
>>
>>49618743
Ambushes, spread out enemies, enemies that burrow, humanoids with evasion, fire immune/resistant enemies, high initiative enemies with high move speeds, counterspells, underwater enemies, silence, more encounters per day to use spell slots, non combat encounters, encounters near non enemies and things they don't want to burn down, like their home or loot in the form of paintings, missions to recover stolen fragile objects, reasons to take prisoners, and fire elementals.
>>
>>49617374
I like this idea a whole lot. I can see it being annoying but thats kinda the point, it forces you to be more careful and clever. Will probably give this a shot next game and see how we go.
>>
>>49614771

Man a monk have like 1ki per lvl, while a battle master have 4 at , 5 at 7 and 6 at 15.
I mean you cant just copy battlemaster maouvers.
Wich end being much more dmg efficient with ki.
For example riposte.

Them furry of blows, why i would want to use anything except furry of blows? it fucking give me two weapons attacks, thats op. Its like plus 3 to dmg.

What i would do. At lvl 3 let the monk take a weapons style:
-Duelist -archery -protection.

With duelist if you attack while flurry the +2 only aplies to armed attacks unless you do flurry of slashes see below.

And profiency with one handed weapon or ranged.

The manouvers:

>Evasive footwork
The monk chasis has something better, step of the wind. At low lvls this manouver is useless, at high lvls it breaks the action economy.

>Riposte
I would let counter attack to the battle master, also im not gonna use it except for nova. Because flurry is better.

So what manouvers do you should add.
Well:

>Flurry of slash/stabs (or quick shooting): wasting 2 ki for a flurry with a weapon in hand its ok cos equals to two ripostes.

>Zen archery: 1 ki point to avoid being at disvantage (by darkness or invisibility while shooting).

>Fliying sword: double move and then attack. You have fliying speed for this round. 1ki.

Also you gain then at lvl 11 and 17 like the other clases.
>>
>>49614418
I like how so many people like to shit on 5e while these threads are the most discussed and have to be archived after a couple of days.
>>
>>49614440
Witch for the Druid for sure, so that my gf could finally play a Wiccan without having to having to create convoluted stories.
>>
>>49618743
You'll probably need to mix up combats a bit to make them use a wider variety of abilities. In addition to what this anon said >>49618851
I recommend encounters that take place in enclosed spaces like in a dungeon where the party is at risk of blasting themselves. And of course more encounters before long rests.

Assuming they're level 5 I'm guessing they have about 6 fireballs per day, so do you want them to 1 combat with 6 fireballs being dropped or 6 encounters with 1 fireball being dropped?
>>
>>49614898
casters are already extremely overpowered, don't make somethign that gives them two concentration spells, that would be insanely broken.
>>
>>49619065
>Not wanting to go back to the days of when Clerics could 1 hit KO their gods
>>
>>49619099
No, i don't want to thank you very much.
If anything fighters and rnagers (tho the new UA did make me very happy) need to be humpf up a bit with some of their archetypes.

I will allow you that the Warlock needs to be more powerful, that i would agree with.
>>
So, how did your PC learn the giant language in SKT?
>>
>>49616169
Step 1 - carry torch and greatsword
Step 2 - drop torch and use greatsword
>>
>>49617682
Because Encumbered is an optional rule and no one use it.
>>
Why does Demogorgon have such shit ability scores?

DEMOGORGON
Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil
Hit Points 496 (34d12+272)
STR 29 (+9), DEX 14 (+2), CON 26 (+8), INT 20 (+5), WIS 17 (+3), CHA 25 (+7)
>>
Hey dudes. I'm not sure if this is entirely appopriate or whether I should make my own thread. But i'm running 5e, so close enough. I'm running a game for some friends, they're second level and i'm trying to figure out how to hook up my campaign.

How do I unite a bunch of random adventures, and also, how is a good way to move the players around. For example, I need them near mountains for me to have Dueregar kidnappers and spiral off into a romp in the underdark.

Any tips/direction to a more appropriate thread is appreciated.
>>
File: ElepahantSpiritShaman.jpg (127KB, 820x605px) Image search: [Google]
ElepahantSpiritShaman.jpg
127KB, 820x605px
>>49614440
4e shamans as a druid or cleric archetype

But then again, people seem to have a million different ideas as to how shamans should work
>>
Have you set up certain encounters that throw hints to the players that they can deal with these enemies through dialogue but only have it that your players went full bloodlust and started slaughtering everyone?

I'm not bothered by it that they just threw out potential hooks if they made communication with this pack of werewolves but god damn, they way they described the slaughter. One of my players even stabbed the mate of the alpha male in front of him yelling "TO THE PITS THAT SPAWNED, FUCKER!"

My players are usually keen and pensive but god damn, I think something awakened in them tonight.
>>
>>49618975
>op
>breaks the action economy
Dunno if ironic or retarded
>>
High intelligence on an Arcane Trickster. In a party of very few spellcasters. Yes or no?
>>
>>49614658
>If I take the time to sit down with 5e and learn the rules, what am I going to be disappointed by?
It won't take long if you're familiar with 3e and 4e. You'll likely have issue with the much class/feat/etc options and lessened strategy element, even less so than 3e. Some people like that aspect however.
>In particular, is there finally some non-combat balance between classes, where everyone gets to have options for creative problem-solving and influencing the world around them?
No. Martials are still generally restricted to skills, with rogue being the only one particularly competent with them. Ranger has some stuff too, but very situationally.
Martials can access caster rituals with a feat, but in a more crippled fashion since rituals aren't a unified thing like in 4e. They're not as annoying to manage as 4e though, so that's a plus.
Honestly, you could just ignore system limitations and rp creative actions, but then again you could've done that in 3e/4e too.
>>
>>49619208

Where are the players currently if they're in the middle of the adventure/campaign or is this gonna be session #1?

If the former, like if they're in a tavern, try to let an NPC (preferrebly someone they care for at this point) come in and turn to the PCs for help cause NPC got attacked and the dueregar kidnapped or stole something from the NPC. Perhaps even make the NPC look sympathetic and ask around the tavern to no avail until the players pick up the NPC's woes. Then let the NPC say he/she just escaped from a band of dueregar (I suggest you make the NPC vaguely describe the perpetrators to add intrigue and curiosity so players will wonder what attacked the NPC) and took her child or object of importance then pinpoint where the sighting was.

If it's session #1, you can just plop them on the road traveling. Stating that they were like-minded adventurers sating that wanderlust then as they travel a bend near the mountains, they come upon whatever you have planned on the road ahead that would lead to the Underdark hook. You can also do the other hook I mentioned in the above paragraph but let the PCs be random tavern dwellers and have the NPC just be their first meeting, looking helpless. To throw the sympathy further, make the NPC wounded or something.
>>
>>49618385
PDK should've gotten maneuvers. Making those exclusive to just one archetype was a terrible idea
>>
>>49619272
As long as you r dex is higher
>>
>>49619300
I can't imagine it will stay that way with basically every UA fighter having superiority dice.
>>
>>49619295
Cheers for the response. This will be the second proper session. First session they were approached by the blacksmith of a fairly empty town that his daughter had been snatched whilst playing at the woods edge.
Cue Blights and a battle with a hag and awakened tree. And they've saved the girl and are heroes. I think it went well but I didn't build a way for it to lead off into another adventure.
>>
> Want to be a rapier wielding Diviner Wizard (using tarot card as arcane focus for casting)
> Don't want to be an Elf

What other option do I have? Is it worth trading Half-Elf skill versatility for Elf's weapon training?
>>
>>49619364
1 fighter/rogue/anything with rapiers, human with that shitty weapon feat
>>
File: 1428113650669.gif (47KB, 172x196px) Image search: [Google]
1428113650669.gif
47KB, 172x196px
>>49619364
>Augury isn't a wizard spell despite being in the wizard class description
Revel in the suffering, anon.
>>
>>49619364
Just go human variant and get the weapon master feat. You can get 16 Dex and Int with pointbuy and Rapier Hand Crossbow Heavy Crossbow and shortsword.
>>
>>49619388
trying to avoid multiclass, but that would be my last resort (with actual last resort would be... playing Elf)

>>49619442
I'm planning to take Ritual Caster feat to fix that.
>>
File: Master of fate.jpg (212KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
Master of fate.jpg
212KB, 774x1032px
>>49619364
Pick halfling for rerolling 1s that you roll. Pick Lucky feat for rerolling three any rolls a day. Pick diviner wizard for getting even more good rolls for yourself and forcing bad rolls upon your enemy.

Laugh.
>>
File: 1462236219950.jpg (16KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
1462236219950.jpg
16KB, 600x549px
>>49619497
It's a level 2 spell, anon.
>>
>>49619516
> The spell must be on the spell list for the class you chose, the spell’s level can be no higher than half your level (rounded up), and it must have the ritual tag.

By the time I reach level 4 (for the feat), I can already add a 2nd-level spell in my Ritual book right? What's the problem?
>>
>>49619552
>>49619516
Just politely ask your GM if you can have the spell on your list
>>
>>49619513
>Halfling Diviner Wizard
How horrifying.
>>
>>49617374
That actually sounds like a good idea, i'm gonna use that anon, thanks.
>>
>>49619552
You can write it, but that means you need to have a scroll of it. You start out with two 1st level rituals in the book.
So you're either gonna have to suck your GM (or party cleric)'s dick for a scroll of augury, or suck his dick for >>49619563

Personally I'd just play a warlock with star chain and fluff it as a deck of cards. Pic related.
>>
Watcha guys think about a Minotaur Fighter, taking the Shield Master feat at lvl4?

With the feat, I can use my bonus action to Shove my enemy. With my racial Horns, I have advantage on all Shove checks!
>>
>>49619612
Sounds great, works RAW.
>>
>>49619612
>Shove somebody a shield
>Get advantage on shoves because of horns
Unless it's strapped to your head, I don't know about this.
>>
File: メーテラ.png (102KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
メーテラ.png
102KB, 960x800px
When are kitsune coming again?
>>
>>49615078
5e is not supposed to be filled to the brim with magical items. LMoP is an aberration in this case and SKT more the norm.

However if you feel like pampering your players and turning the campaign into something Monty Haul-esque, go ahead.
>>
>>49619695
hopefully never
>>
>>49619586
> Cast Suggestion on Cleric
> Portent, you roll a 1,2,3,4,5
> "Please give me the scroll of Augury! Pretty please!"
>>
>>49619681
Horns say that the minotaur has advantage on "ALL" shove checks.

The idea is: having horns helps on shoves.
>>
File: 1461980314313.jpg (61KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1461980314313.jpg
61KB, 500x500px
>>49619695
Take a variant tiefling with devil's tongue feature, replace hellish resistance with fey ancestry, infernal with sylvan.
Done, go touch fluffy tail.
>>
>>49619727
...Having horns helps you shove somebody by bashing/parrying them with a shield?
>>
>>49619739
RAW, yes
>>
>>49619745
No sensinble DM is going to allow this, and you know it. If you like doing crazy bullshit with RAW, maybe you should be playing 3.5.
>>
Anyone got an average length for Curse of Strahd? My group plays twice a week and about 5 hours a session when it comes to these prewritten adventures.
>>
>>49617374
That's only necessary when you have shit players that can't help but metagame. If you do, go ahead, but it shouldn't be something you strive for.
>>
>>49619739
It does if you punch him, kick him, swing a sword, etc but not if you use a shield?
>>
>>49619763
My playgroup went all OK with that, with the fact that minotaurs have only +2 attributes and otherwise useless racials
>>
>>49619745
>Your horns give you advantage on all checks made to shove a creature...
>...shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield.
Yeah, not buying it. The horns advantage is pretty clearly intended to be when shoving with the horns themselves, like with the bonus action shove you get when attacking with them.
>>49619766
No, having horns SHOULDN'T make you better at shoving people by punching, kicking, or swinging swords at them.
>>
>>49614700
I mean, sure.

http://alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/geomancer/index.html

I guess the closest thing is the Changeling race in one of the UAs, but these lets you pick / stack different types.
>>
Why does everyone have such a hard-on for Alchemist / Engineer type characters? Is it because they are the fedora-tippers of a fantasy world? Do you just want to flex your knowledge of High School IPC at the table? Or you like cool pointy masks?
>>
>>49619792
Does having legs should help when you shove someone using your arms?
>>
>>49615341
I like racial fluff
>>
File: Don't get sick.jpg (19KB, 500x719px) Image search: [Google]
Don't get sick.jpg
19KB, 500x719px
>>49619827
You seem very angry, anon, it happens when blood gets too hot. Mayhaps some leechings will help?
>>
File: 1450313930360.jpg (21KB, 236x364px) Image search: [Google]
1450313930360.jpg
21KB, 236x364px
>>49619834
Legs serve the function of supporting your body, so yes, but that isn't the concern. We're talking about horns. On your head. That minotaurs get a bonus to shoving WITH, because they are like bulls, and may shove things using their horns when goring them, like with their other racial feature.
Does having an ear, or hair, or a silly hat help you to shove someone using your arms?
>>
>>49619857
>Does having an ear
Yes, it actually does, equilibrium is an important thing when walking for example.
>>
File: エリーゼ・ルタス.png (31KB, 480x471px) Image search: [Google]
エリーゼ・ルタス.png
31KB, 480x471px
I'm trying to get someone to try 5e but the only thing he does is go all:
>Oh 5e is so restrictive
>It's so low magic
>I can't do my unlimited blade wooooooorks
>I want 3.5e
>5e Warlock is shit
>Why is it so simple????
>I want to be stronger than my entire party in this niche field
>Why are the numbers so smallllll?

Suffering is real.
>>
>>49619880
Good thing horns don't affect your ability to sense equilibrium, then.
>>
File: ジェシカ[清爽の銃士].png (119KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
ジェシカ[清爽の銃士].png
119KB, 960x800px
>>49619827
Might be the bombs.
Bombs are cool.
>>
>>49619883
>>5e Warlock is shit
Well, he isn't wrong
It just doesn't sound like his kind of game
>>
>>49619888
Well being on your head and being so goddamn heavy, they might
>>
>>49619883
> Unlimited Blade work
Isn't that what Minor Conjuration do?
>>
File: 1450318076602.jpg (162KB, 1062x751px) Image search: [Google]
1450318076602.jpg
162KB, 1062x751px
>>49619924
So if the human fighter puts a cinderblock on his head, he too has advantage on shoving people with his shield?
>>
>>49619927
Apparently he wants every sword to trigger a reaction attack and cause the entire floor to have acrobatics disadvantage AND the ability to levitate and fire 20+ swords a turn because that's what his pathfinder character can do.
>>
>>49617864
The implication that a free feat and a free proficiency aren't the best shit ever is frankly insane. Also why aren't you fuckers prepared for this? Hang a lantern from your belt. Get literally any spellcaster in the game to cast light. Hell, take the spellcasting feat and cast it yourself.
>>
>>49619883
That person doesn't deserve your attention.
>>
>>49619946
Well being a creature naturally having to deal with big ass horns on it's head, a minotaur might also have a heightened sense of equilibrium to deal with it. The same thing would not apply to a human with a cinderblock on his head
>>
>>49619957
what.. so he want to be both gilgamesh and archer at the same time?

also I guess he doesn't like fluffing up stuff (which is the point of 5e?). Ranger with spike growth fluff as sword instead of spike and conjure barrage would work.

But that guy definitely stuck in "Everything I do must have special snowflake mechanic supporting it" mindset of 3.pf player.
>>
File: 1471273670596.jpg (60KB, 480x750px) Image search: [Google]
1471273670596.jpg
60KB, 480x750px
>>49619972
I'm glad that we've come to the conclusion that having an extra weight on their head and being used to it gives minotaurs the advanced sense of equilibrium that allows them an advantage when shoving a creature with a shield.
>>
so i've made a mounted combatant paladin with his thing being challenging anyone that insults him to duels, and him being, to an extent, being fairly powerful in duels, almost always having advantage, hold person, etc, etc. the problem is that another player has built around completely minmaxing AC, multiclassing paladin for splint+shield+protection fighting and sorcerer so he has mirror images and shield whenever he needs its and other magical buffs. even if i would paralyze him (which is not a big chance of happening) so he can't use shield so would i still need to roll 18-20 to even hit him

i would normally not mind this since atleast two of the players in our campaign always powergame as much as possible, but this time he built his character for the sake of fucking me over, trying to taunt my paladin into challenging him into a duel to humiliate him

is there a way to try to bypass AC as a paladin? we're level 7 right now
>>
>>49619986
He really doesn't like the idea of refluffing in general, as he prefers the class abilities and effects be written out as clear as possible.
>>
>>49619992
I'm glad that we've come to the conclusion that this is a game with antropomorphic bulls, dragons and magic and that trying to bring irl science and logic to ban rules that are based on game mechanics and balance is stupid.
>>
Anyone got a homebrew for a detritus-like troll?
>>
>>49620010
Try to challenge him to a duel with restrictions. No magic, or no armor, or something other than combat.
Or you're just going to need to try and wear down his spell slots.
Or max your own AC so you can't be hit easily either.
>>
Custom make him a spell that allows him to do that bullshit, but have it just be a refluffed version of another spell. Don't tell him this.
>>
>>49619883
I mean he isn't even wrong.
>>
>>49620025
5e isn't for him. Just tell him you're sorry for his autism and move on.
>>
>>49620031
In this case the rules aren't guaranteed to be based on balanced mechanics, since it's UA and therefore playtest often riddled with loopholes and unbalance.
The precedent for a similar 'spirit of the features' thing is the interaction of warcaster and polearm master. Sage Advice officially ruled against being able to use the opportunity attack provoked by moving into polearm range with for the spell granted by warcaster when making an opportunity attack. Despite that fact that the rules said it worked, the official stance is that it shouldn't, because polearm master enables you benefits with the polearms themelves. By the same token, shield master should benefit shields, and horns shouldn't.
>>
So I'm wondering...
> 3 WIS base caster
> 4 CHA base caster
> Only 1 INT base caster

Is there a design reason behind this?
>>
>>49618743
Talk to them like a fucking adult, that's how.

This is clearly how they want to do things. If it isn't fun for you, you need to make this clear. If they don't want to change, and it still isn't fun for you, then stop playing together.
>>
>>49620092
Warlocks can be INT based in my games.
>>
>>49620010
Try grapple and shove for prone? pour oil on ground and burn it while you keep him down and laugh maniacally.
>>
>>49620220
...as you burn too?
>>
>>49620092
Tradition, NOT MUH; the usual reasons.
>>
>>49620092
Int has always been the god stat, no shit they wanted to move away from that.
>>
Is Arcane Trickster bad? Most people seem to recommend me to go bard instead of playing Arcane Trickster.

Kinda want to play booming blade arcane trickster with whip.
>>
>>49620235
by RAW. you didn't stand on that burning 5 foot square.
>>
>>49620092

To keep wizards from also being social paragons and all-seeing sages with no effort on top of their many many spells.
>>
>>49620092
Inertia from old editions. There's no other iconic intelligence caster than wizard, and hybrids like the EK and AT came from multiclassing and/or prestige classing with wizard and wizard-advancement.
>>
>>49620271
>no other int classes
>solution is to make the one int class cha/wis instead
???
>>
>>49620252
Arcane Trickster is good. Bard is better.

Arcane Trickster will do better at-will damage than a bard. A bard can surpass an Arcane Trickster for short periods of time with spells, usually via Magical Secrets.

5e fights tend to be short, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out why the Arcane Trickster's advantage isn't really that huge.
>>
So I´m going to join a new campaign set in "Ancient Egypt", we will start at level 1 escorting/travelling with a caravan.
I have rolled up a Barbarian that is a part of a tribe of primarily goat/sheep herders that raid caravans traveling between settlements as a way to make some extra gold, of course keeping away from the more powerful Caravans owned by Royals/Guilds/churches. (Don´t want a army stomping out bandits in the area)

Now the reason that my Barbarian have to joining the future party is that to be allowed to marry the girl of his dream´s he need to get rich and famous so that he proves hes worthy of her hand. The lady will be a daughter to a "crimelord/Robber Baron" that my characters tribe knows and have done business with before.

The question is if the one he need to impress is the father or the daugther.

Option 1: The father will be a greedy old fart and demands a handsome dowery for the hand of his daughter, in this scenario the daughter is a goal and not much of a character wich might be fine as I don´t really want to roll play any romance with her. (Brother Gm´ing)

Option 2: It is the Daughter that my character needs to impress and swoon, if so I'm probably going to make her a criminal running scam´s on people in the cities. (Thief+Charlatan)
As more of a character the party are more likely to run in to her contra dealing with the father.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Oh, and I need a good picture of a "Desert Barbarian"
>>
>>49620308
Mage Hand Legerdemain look like fun though..
>>
>>49614418
Hey there /5eg/
A fellow DM invited me to a PotA game he's running and looking at the party (Warlock, Monk, Cleric, Barbarian and Druid) we decided I'd build a Bard. The DM already told me he's focusing mostly on dungeon crawling, and the party's already level 5 so I'd like to come up with something mechanically viable. I'm thinking a Half-Elf Valor College bard would be good, but I'd still have an ASI, should I get a feat or should I just take the increase? Any good combos/ideas you would suggest?
>>
>>49620643
Point buy or do you roll for stats?
>>
>>49620586
Play it then. You're playing against the system, not other PCs, and Arcane Trickster plays against the system just fine.
>>
>>49620664
Point-Buy or Standard Array.
>>
>>49620643
war caster if you're using a weapon and shield
>>
>>49618838
mostly caves or something similar. Definitely not towns
>>49619041
I just think they should be a little more creative with their spells, especially the bard and the wizard (I mean, they should be versatile casters of some sort, they got a shitton of spells)
>>49620095
I'm having fun, I think they're having fun too, but if we continue like that it will get boring soon
>>49618780
>>49618851
I'll try some of these, thanks. I should probably also pay more attention to their surroundings and warn them about collateral damage from now on. Hopefully I can wear them down a bit and delay resting without getting them killed
>>
>>49620965
Give them a hostage situation, see if they solve it with fire still.
>>
>>49620965
>mostly caves or something similar. Definitely not towns

Aren't explosions incredibly dangerous in caves? they can easily ignite the air. Even low intensity fires can cause the rock to expand and crack causing cave-ins and the smoke will fuck over bats hardcore.
>>
Thoughts on HarmonQuest?
>>
>>49620669
Thanks! I just don't want to be a waste of space in my party.
>>
>>49621090
Not D&D, It's just LARPing.
>>
>>49621120
a shitty one at that. Only the goblin does shit.
>>
>>49621090
Don't they "play" Pathfinder?
>>
>>49621114
>>49620669
On that noted. How would you build a Half-Elf Arcane Trickster with standard array?

8 15(+1) 13(+1) 14 10 12(+2)?
>>
>>49621086
I suppose so, especially if it's a smaller cave.
So under what circumstances should I let them cast spells like fireball without such problems?? Only open areas? Next big encounter in my story should be in a previously abandoned temple in the forest, currently occupied by cultists, certainly won't let them cast fireball there. I mean, if it's outside the temple, they would set the forest on fire, if they are inside, an abandoned temple shouldn't be that solid right?
>>
>>49621196
We don't know exactly, they're deathly afraid of being sued if they mention they're playing D&D/Pathfinder.

It's definitely houseruled to fuck and back though.
>>
>>49619792
The idea for me (new to the discussion) is that the horns persuade people to let themselves get shoved rather than get gored. Got no problem with this idea personally.
>>
>>49621225
If you're aiming for a "best" build, don't dump Wisdom. You will hate life when you fail a Hold Person saving throw.
>>
So.
Recently bought basic 5th ed books. Good times.
Where to go from here? We don't have complementary rules books yet, right? Any of the adventure modules any good?-
>>
>>49621434
You can get extra player options from the Elemental Evil Player's Companion (a free official PDF supplement to Princes of the Apocalypse) and the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

All the adventure modules are decent except for Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat. Those need a lot of work.
>>
>>49614418
Posted yesterday just trying to get some last minute advice

>Running a Lamia encounter today
>Party has been sent to kill her and the person she enslaved who summoned her.
>She is going to try to manipulate the party into killing and looting for her using her spells.

Have any of you had successful Lamia experiences? If so can you elaborate?

I'm wanting the summoner to be psychologically broken. What geas actions could he have had to do that made him that way?

Im trying to make this unsettling but everything about Lamia seem to be some weird bdsm magical realm shit.
>>
>>49621308
One extra point won't redeem your WIS save. better to just get resilient
>>
>>49621482
D&D isn't about being serious or unsettling
>>
>>49621486
Similarly 1 extra point in Charisma will amount to even less over the course of a campaign.

May as well boost the one that has a chance to save your life.
>>
>>49617374
I think for something like that, you should've talked about it with your players before the game to get their opinions. I for one, wouldn't like having the DM roll for me. Besides, a failure on Insight or Perception doesn't mean the player gets false information, it usually means they get no information whatsoever. At least that's how I run it.

On the other hand, a failure on Stealth means they get detected anyway, if they're rolling they're already doing it.
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>49621508
>>
>>49621508
It's also not just murderhoboing from setting to setting. This is going to be something the players have to figure out then solve. I just want some examples of when other players have used it because it seems like the monster could be really neat.

Also, I'm sorry all of your campaigns are "go to fart mountain to kill the great dildoni"

We joke around constantly and laugh almost the entire session, but I still try to make the setting and characters serious so if they want to play seriously they can.
>>
>>49621434
>Any of the adventure modules any good?

Lost Mines of Phandelver, Curse of Strahd, Out of the Abyss and Storm King's Thunder are worth a look.
>>
>>49621308
>>49621486
>>49621531
I guess I could live with WIS 12 CHA 12. Going to take expertise in persuasion and perception at level 6 anyway.
>>
>>49621612
>It's also not just murderhoboing from setting to setting.
It is in fact about that. That's why the Lamia comes off as some weird bdsm magical realm shit to you, because the designers are not trying to make a serious, engaging monster with compelling lore to provoke thought and reflection. It's a thing to kill with a colorful, setting appropriate skin on it
>>
>>49619261
>calls other people retarded.
> thinks an action surge at lvl 5 for 1 ki is fine, thinks and improved step of the wind is fine.

Well mate im sorry about your weabo aspirations, but this is not theory craft. We already tried letting a monk using monk weapons in the flurry and mate.. The time the player got a +2 quarterstaff he was outdamanging everyone.
I mean using the quarterstaff as a versatile weapon doing 1d8+7 x4 at lvl 6 was insane.

Thats about 44 dmg the same dmg a GWM does using precision strike (4 dice /using 1 dice per attack vs 7ki /1ki per round) . Also anytime the monk had advantage for any source it was a crit fest.
Do what you want in your table, but dont call others retarded with an smug face when you only have theorycrafted.
>>
>>49621727
Ah. So it is bait.
>>
More question on Arcane Trickster...

Familiar can help fulfilled sneak attack condition right?
>>
Hey, do you think it would be too cheesy to try and make use of the Catapult spell in conjunction with vials of acid/alchemist fire? I mean Catapult as a spell is pretty weak and you have to buy the vials, seems the only viable way to make an alchemist character gimmick work and Catapult isn't very strong anyway.
>>
>>49621793
Yes.
>>
My table is currently in a homebrew campaign setting and have hit level-8. I'm planning to put in a heavily homebrewed Lost Mines into the campaign since I really like the adventure and would want to adapt a chunk of it. That said, I'm not sure what to replace Goblins with cause they should easily cream them on approach. Though I guess I can repurpose some higher CR monsters and reskin them to goblins but with how they dealt with goblins in early levels, they might be tired of seeing them again.

Any advice how to go about a higher level Lost Mines? I'm gonna adapt the adventure's storyline structure and probably remove stuff like Thundertree. Of course, the quests, Not-Cragmaw Hideout and Not-Cragmaw Castle, Not-Redbrand Hideout and Not-Wave Echo Caves will be present.

Ultimately, I'm gonna tie this Not-Lost Mines to their campaign's overarching storyline that they are doing so the villains will be different but tie heavily to their tale (which is dealing with a Lich who is playing puppetmaster to a city in the shadows)
>>
>>49621475
A lot of work as in? Not the guy you replied to but I hear the same thing about those two from a lot of people but they don't really go into specifics. Was going to run them after I finished CoS, but haven't bought them yet.
>>
>>49621808
So Arcane Trickster with owl..

100% sneak attack (with advantage from owl Aid action) on booming blade then bonus action to disengage. This will work right? Already sound like fun.
>>
>>49621793
I'd rule that since they have a reach of 0ft, they must be directly in the square of the target to attain the bonus.

Which makes sense, I can easily see a rogue siccing his pet ferret on someone and as they clamber and yelp at the furred catsnake biting his ears, they are vulnerable to a deadly blow from the Rogue. However using a familiar like this is going to very soon end with them getting a humble boot stomping leaving you to pay the cost to revive them.

One of the enemies I recently had my characters fight was a dwarf mage known as "Abzuar the Cruel." and the first thing he did upon encountering the party was to use magic missile and kill the wizards familiar. Other notes of his cruelty included making use of the magic item "Iron bands of Billaro" in conjunction with the spell "Heat Metal."
>>
>>49621815
Replace Goblins with Militant Hobgoblins/Competent bandits.
>>
>>49621876
It will work until the second round of combat and one of the goblins weezes out "Get that bird, it goes for your eyes!" and it dies immediately to a shit-streaked arrow.
>>
Any tips for a new DM on trying to run a game? More so how to keep track of all the mechanics and the likes.
>>
>>49621876
The thing is, if a dm plays by raw, the familiar rolls it's own initiative and if it doesn't take it's turn just before yours help won't work (for you), and you can't delay to fix it since there is no such thing in 5e

I've never played with a dm who cared enough to even target the familiar though
>>
File: oh fuck not again.gif (2MB, 380x340px) Image search: [Google]
oh fuck not again.gif
2MB, 380x340px
Alright guys, I may need your help on this one

So I've had an idea of basically working with the DM to help pull one over on the entire party I've told him the whole plan and he is 100% on board, in which I play a character working with the BBEG to screw the party over in the most subtle ways possible, and mainly by posing as a knowledge cleric whilst actually being a great old one bladelock.
Now I understand I'll be gimping myself in combat, but the DM agreed I'd be able to pass my eldritch blast off as sacred flame as my main source of damage, as well as communicating with my patron to pass off any channel divinity aspects of the knowledge cleric, and mostly blag my way through any of the stuff if they ask me for any identify and detect good and evil stuff

I think I may have my work cut out for me, but me and the DM really like the idea of messing with the players, so have you guys got any tips for me, say if any of you have played a knowledge cleric before?
Also, I'll be playing a CE character trying to pass himself off as LG, all the time telepathically egging on any vulnerable or unstable npcs we meet along the way to commit suicide/ attack the party
>>
>>49621943
what languages do you know?
>>
>>49621943
Why not play tomelock instead so you have access to cleric cantrips and rituals? Would lend a lot of validity to your disguise, and scales off of being a warlock anyways. Or magic initiate cleric.
...Do you suppose their characters will notice something amiss when the cleric never heals and can't remove curses, anyways?
>>
File: Cheat Sheet.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Cheat Sheet.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49621927
I find this helps
>>
>>49622005
Oh wow, thank you! This is just what I needed!
>>
>>49621975
He'd know common, elven and sylvan, but would be able to read all writing and communicate telepathically regardless of language
>>49621991
The character is much, much more violent so the only pact that really suits him is bladelock. The group I play with aren't that familiar with the rules of other classes either despite playing for quite a while, so if I insist that a knowledge cleric is more skills and utility, they're quite likely to believe me
>>
>>49622037
No prob, bob
>>
>>49617448
>>49617526
I agree idealistically, but realistically players will be turned off at the amount of shit to read. Even if it's not the ideal way to implement, say, an alchemist, implementing what ends up being 1/4th a class' worth of stuff in 1/10th the text is good for that reason.

Also, for most classes that people think of the remaining 3/4ths are garbage anyway and it is strictly better as an archetype, and the greater amount of balancing, playtesting, discussion etc. needed to make a good class means that's not going to happen very often with homebrew (that reminds me of that reddit post with like 10 classes or something, not a single one was balanced or even good enough in flavor).

Martials are easier mechanically because they're usually not as complex (both to make, balance and learn), but in fluff they have more trouble because they are in fluff the exact same as rogue and fighter (and monk and barb depending on setting), AKA normal people except supernaturally strong/agile etc. Casters are easier to make fluff for but with that comes tons of homebrew classes with unnecessary/bad sub-systems similar to invocations and maneouvres.
>>
>>49622005
This is helpful. A lot of players in my group don't really know what actions they can do and don't really pay attention to bonus actions and reactions so a flowchart to help remind them is useful.
>>
>>49621800
Well this gives you Dex save or take 3d8+Bonus damage. Bonus is 2d6 Acid or 1d4 Fire each turn debuff,
In either case, you're looking at 25ish gold per Vial even if you made them yourself and the spell does nothing on a miss so I'd be totally on board for this, especially of the player took Tool Proficiency Glassworker/Alchemist or both.

Damage is high, but at low levels where that is relevant 25 gold is quite a sum to literally throw around 2-3 times a day.
>>
>>49619136
Wooed a female ogre.
>>
>>49622082
>deceiving retarded players that can't open a book
I don't think you have much to worry about
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 525x735px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 525x735px
I'm going to be jouning a new group tomorrow, currently we have very few players. Besides wizard, what are your recommendations for a clarr/build for a group of less than 4 party members?
>>
>>49622213
You can't go wrong with a paladin.
>>
>>49622225
You really can.
>>
>>49622213
Fighter for combat
Barbarian of combat
Rogue for skillmonkey utility
Sorcerer for Spell Deeps
Wizard of Spell Utility
>>
>>49622213
Valor bard. Literally do anything. Fighty, casting, healing, skills. You won't excel at any one thing but it sounds like you're looking for breadth of abilities rather than depth.
>>
Reposting.

DM here looking to "Buff" his level 1 party for a campaign we're starting due to only having 3 PC's. I wanted to add a bit of a bonus to their character since it's better to tweak an encounter to be tougher mid-way through than easier.

+10HP starting total.
+1 Free Feat.
+1 Free Skill.
+1 Skill from Class List.

Anything else that might be worthwhile to give? I'm also planning to drop an uncommon magical item to each of them fairly early.
>>
>>49622252
... How could you go wrong, purely out of interest? I though paladin was a good class, even all oath options excluding crown
>>
Can someone please explain how spells work. (5e)

I'm really scared to use spell classes because i don't know anything about them.
How do spell slots work
Do i need to roll for spells
>>
File: 53c8c300MbLB5Trs.png (191KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
53c8c300MbLB5Trs.png
191KB, 600x800px
3 man party of a barbarian, (new) ranger, and I'm the last one. I was thinking of bard to round out skills, casting, and support. Should I play lore for extra skill/spell goodies and debuffing enemies or valor so I can wade into the thick of shit with my shield brothers?
>>
Can someone explain spellcasting to me?

This is how I think it goes:

Wizards have a list of known spells and they have to prepare a smaller selection of those spells.

Clerics and Druids have to prepare spells, but they have access to the full spell list

Sorcerers and Bars have a limited number of spells, but don't need to prepare them.

Warlocks have a set number of spell slots that are all at their highest level? I don't understand Warlocks so much.
>>
>>49622283
This seems a bit much. Even with 3 PCs it wouldn't be too tough for a 1st level party to proceed through your typical starting adventure. Have you tried just running vanilla level 1? What are you worried about that you think heaping on these mechanical benefits will help alleviate?
>>
>>49622213
Depends what they have at the moment to be honest. As said, Bards are pretty good at everything and can easily be adjusted as you go.

Clerics are pretty good since having extra heals are always good and they can be tweaked to fill a lot of roles with some surprisingly deadly spells.

Paladins are very nice additions to a party that doesn't have one, powerful martials that offer both supportive healing, boosted saving throws and impactful smites and of course being charisma party face. I love Inspiring Leader feat, because even at level 1 it's a free 15hp every short rest for a party of 5.
>>
>>49622283
The game is balanced around 4 players, 5 and 3 are both completely fine. Encounter balance is already way too easy so even a deadly encounter for 4 man party can be done by a 3 man party quite well. If anything, start them at level 3 so that you don't suffer from the insane swingyness and "oh a crit huh, yeah I'm dead guys". Even with an adventure you can just soften the encounters a bit, but you always have to rebalance adventures anyway because some parties are worse at the game and so on.
>>
>>49622321
Warlocks are only different from Sorcs and Bards (and Ranger) in what spell slots they get, which are all of the level indicated and they recharge on short rests instead of long ones.
>>
>>49622225
I was considering paladin in my last group.

>>49622275
Thank you for the break down, I'll refer back to it when I meet up with the group.

>>49622278
I've always loved Bard, it was the first class I played. I will keep it under consideration

Thanks!
>>
>>49622300
Same way you go wrong with any martial class: the Dm runs a combat light game.
>>
>>49622283
The best buff is to start at a higher level
>>
>>49622283
I gave my first time players a free feat at creation and then an uncommon magic item that was character-appropriate at level 3.

Though to be fair, I don't think that's necessary. It's more to make them feel more powerful so that they have more fun. Plus, I make every encounter have the ability to go badly, and add stuff that can be triggered to make the fight well above their CR. For example, they were in a dungeon and had to finish a tough fight before a goblin horde rolled in, or they were in the mountains and had to win one fight without a lot of heavy stomping or loud noise, due to the chance for an avalanche. That way, they're really powerful and feel strong, but at the same time have to play it smart.

With 3 players and standard stuff, they'll be fine.
>>
>>49622303
For each class your access to spells is slightly different.

Most prepare a number of spells equal to level+casting mod, so a level 3 wizard with 16 int can prepare SIX spells. These are the spells he is ready to cast, he can cast them in any combination using his spell slots. Some casters like Bards and Sorcerers have a larger pool of spells that they can pick from, but don't get to change these out every day. You then have your spells. Cantrips can be cast freely any number of times a day, other spells are limited to your slots. Casting a 1st level spell requires a 1st level spell slot or higher. Casting a 2nd level spell takes up a 2nd level spell slot or higher. Simple stuff. These refresh each day. Some spells get stronger if using a higher level slot but it doesn't always scale well. It's literally a case of "You can cast three level 1 spells today, and one level 2 spell today, out of your chosen prepared spells."
>>
>>49622457
RP as paladin is hella fun though, especially if you go all hard-ass bad cop
>>
>>49622457
>the Dm runs a combat light game.
>With a higher than average CHA class
Yeah, I think Paladin is just fine.
>>
>>49622303
As far as casting them some spells directly roll to hit, such as aiming a fire-bolt or beam of eldrich blast, you roll a spell attack which is the same as any other attack. Some spells force saving throws for the enemy to shrug off. Be it a casting of hold-person on a foe, or dropping a cone of fire on some enemies you don't roll, the DM does for each target to beat your DC. Some spells have immediate effects, such as Mage armour, or shield, they don't have to be rolled for they just kind of happen.

The biggest change to 5e spells is Concentration spells. Many spells have the tag Concentration, denoting long-lasting spells that persist over a duration, but require your attention. Spells which summon a rolling orb of fire that glides around the battlefield scorching foes or an Aura of haste that empowers an ally, these spells tend to be strong but require your attention. It takes no action to concentrate and you are free to cast other spells, but you can only focus on one concentration spell so if you cast another, the first ends. Additionally if you take damage while focused on a concentration spell there is a risk of you recoiling in pain and dropping the spell.

Concentration spells are also very effective because they help you conserve your slots, conjuring a flaming sphere will impact the entire combat dealing damage nearly every turn, with that up you shouldn't need to cast any other spells other than cantrips anyway.
>>
>>49622420
But do they prep? Or is it like bards and sorcerers?

And what about paladin and ranger?
>>
>>49622554
>The gate is locked
>"I'll persuade it!"
>>
>>49622539
This is true. I personally think all classes can be fun with rp, but I've seen too many players not have fun with martials. Even their combat is boring desu.
>>
>>49622570
>The gate is locked.
>I'll persuade someone to unlock it for me.
>>
>>49622570
>The gate is locked.
>Okay, I pull out my hanger and persuade it open.

Why don't more people name their weapons after skill checks?
>>
>>49622339
"Okay, First turn, Bard, the goblin hits you for 1d6+2 damage. You're unconscious on the floor. As you're the only one with healing magic lets hope the party of two can kill the goblins and pick you up before you die."

"Alright Fighter, you're the tanky one so you should have no trouble here! The goblin rolls and.. Hits you for 1d6+2 damage, okay the second goblin misses, and the third goblin gets lucky and also hits, take 1d6+2 damage. You're down as well."
>>
>>49622651
>Bard gets a minimum of 8 HP at level 1
Unless they have shit Con, they wouldn't go unconscious from that. Why are they out front if they have shit Con?
>>
>>49622568
As I said, they are like sorc and bard in everything except spell slots, they have spells known rather than preparing. Paladin is like cleric, ranger is like sorcerer/bard (this is the one illogical method as you'd expect them to mimic druids). Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Knight are a bit special since they're restricted in class and stuff, but they learn spells (like bard/sorc) from the Wizard spell list.
>>
>>49622651
That's fucking level 1 anon, another PC barely matters at all in this scenario. If you do your job there should be a proportionate number of goblins missing from the encounter as well, and even if you don't balance, as has been stated, it will be fine.
>>
>>49622321
Warlocks only have 2 spell slots of the highest level, so all their spells must be cast at that level. Luckily most spells "Scale up" at higher slots.

However, they restore these slots at short rests, rather than long rests, so while the level 5 wizard can spit out a 1-2 level 3 spells a day, you can spit out as high as six. However you only don't have the option of the level 1 and 2 slots.
>>
>>49614440
I want the mesmer from GuildWars 2
>>
>>49622672
>out in front
arrows
>>
>>49622720
Fair enough. Still wondering why they have 8 Con.
>>
>>49622699
>Warlocks only have 2 spell slots of the highest level

between levels 2 and 10

Sad that no one plays the higher levels when warlock actually holds up well.
>>
>>49622651
If that happens, then the party blew it and got ambushed. And yeah, going down in one hit will make the monsters seem pretty tough. But I think it will motivate the players to be cautious and cunning. If you want to load them up with mechanical advantages, just start them out at higher level. Even level 2 will give them more HP.
>>
Remember when UA would actually come out at 12 PM EST on the first Monday of the month?
>>
>>49622777
1. WotC runs on PST.

2. They've never been consistent with the hour, just the day.... and sometimes not even that.
>>
>>49622651
Then the last goblin mugs the remaining PC for some gold and they flee into the woods. The PCs wake up injured and proceed to town where they hear about goblins stealing from travelers. Now they have a real in-character motivation to go after the goblin bandits.
>>
>>49622809
It used to be 9 AM PST give or take a few minutes for the first year or so.
>>
>>49619827
It is the equivalent of playing the guy who has a sword and can't use magic in a system where almost every class has magic and those that don't have options for magic and not having any magic yourself just makes you a hipster idiot but you get to go "hehehe i dont rely on pussy magic", except instead of being a retard with a sword who attacks every round, you can be someone who actually has some versatility and usefulness through your items that aren't spells.
It kinda annoys me when the item-crafting class gets made a wizard archetype or when item crafting is made reliant on spells slots, because this is my entire reason for liking alchemy and engineering. Crafting archetypes should be given to the Rogue.
>>
>>49622693
It very much matters. When one character goes down in a larger party, it doesn't matter too much. When one goes down in a 3 man party, they are suddenly fighting on 66% effectiveness, and the chances of one of them having Medicine trained or Healing spells is pretty low.

Skills also comes up problematic in low-player teams. A character usually has 4-5 skills proficient, so a party of 3 has 15 of the skills covered with some limitations, a Party of 6 will have much better range of skills as well as overlap on some of the important ones like perception.

Basically the extra health is to prevent TPK's from "Oh, you guys got killed in a couple hits." which is much more likely in a party of 3 compared to a party of 6.
The extra skills to make up for the lack of characters so they have enough
The feat to make up for the fact that with a paltry 3 actions between them, they will average one, maybe two actual hits a turn.
>>
>>49622777
So, UA IS coming out today? How much time until it gets released?
>>
>>49622868
They haven't announced anything. It's just the right day of the month to come out.
>>
>>49622860
It matters in the way you describe, of course. But it doesn't matter to the fun and balance of the game in such a way that there is a reason to buff player characters and such. The game is perfectly fine with 3, and if you find it too hard or easy (as is usually the case in any group because the game isn't balanced with them in mind), then the GM adjusts.
>>
Lizardman Druid/Barbarian or Druid/Ranger for being a mystical old hermit who beats swamp monsters with a shillelagh.
>>
>>49622878
>>49622868
>>49622839
>>49622809
>>49622777
I would be surprised if we get anything since they have been running bi-monthly since march or something.
>>
>>49622909
Neither of those multiclasses work well together.
>>
>>49622751
>>49622699
>>49622673
>>49622420
Thanks anons!
>>
>>49622917
>Implying giant elk barbarian isn't munchkin as fuck
>>
>>49622915
They had two off-months earlier this year where they did DMs Guild showcases instead of new material, back in March and May. They switched the showcases to Dragon+ and UA become monthly again, due to community feedback/backlash.
>>
>>49622839
Which makes sense really, back then it was stuff they didn't put in the PHB but still had stuff for, and the most important options they wanted to make for future books or just wanted to get out there. Now it's fringe stuff, optional rules, niche subclasses and so on.

>>49622917
Both can work, druid/barb is old cheese and with the new ranger beastmaster druid should be a pretty good MC.
>>
File: 1350493829929.jpg (16KB, 295x300px) Image search: [Google]
1350493829929.jpg
16KB, 295x300px
Will Gale Force Nine's spell cards fit inside Magic The Gathering sleeves or do they need bigger ones?

What about deck boxes, I can't possibly fit 230 spell cards in a standard 80-card MtG box.
>>
>>49622538
Ok that makes some sensei think...
so if say i had three spell slots (ignoring all other stats and mechanics for this.)

1 [X]
2 [X][X]
3 [X][X][X]
And three spells A (lvl1) B (lvl2) C (lvl3)
I could do:
1 A
2 A [X]
3 A [X][X]
because they can all fit into that slot?
And if i understand right i can only do B (lvl2) because it can only fit into 3?
Or is it:
1 A
2 A A
3 [X][X][X]
Or:
1 [X]
2 [X][X]
3 A A A
this is why i could never be a wizard.
>>
>>49622972
wrong thread friendo
>>
>>49622915
We got releases in June, July, August, and September. They've only missed 2 months this year.
>>
>>49622990
No no this is the right thread, I meant Gale Force Nine's D&D 5E spell cards
>>
>>49622990
He's talking about cards for D&D spells. They're pretty useful.
>>
>>49622300
>crown bad
>>
>>49622988
You can cast a spell of level X using a spell slot of size X or greater.
In some cases, such as with many spells that use dice like cure wounds or fireball, 'upcasting' (using a higher level slot) increases its power, giving an extra die for each level above X. Other spells might receive different benefits for a larger spell slot, such as how Hex gains an increased duration. Still other spells, like Detect Magic, have a set effect without numbers involved and yield no benefit from upcasting, although you can still use them with a bigger spell slot in a pinch.
>>
Didn't they announce that there's going to be new encounter building stuff for this month's UA?
>>
>>49623051
The things they have on the docket are
- A new encounter building method (same system, different way of going about it)
- A new downtime system with emphasis on using gold
- Mystic, Take 3 (confirmed for November)
>>
>>49622988
Alright let's try this without the symbolic crap.

You're a level 3 sorcerer (because it's easier this way). You know Shield, Magic Missile, Mage Armor (all level 1), and Scorching Ray (level 2).

You have 4 first level slots and 2 second level slots.

You can cast Magic Missile, Shield, or Mage Armor from any of those slots. Magic Missile gains extra from being cast out of a 2nd level slot instead of a 1st.

You can only cast Scorching Ray from the 2nd level slots.
>>
>>49623066
Thought so. I'm looking forward to the Mystic, though. I wonder if it'll be a full 20 levels, or if they'll expand the 10 they had before...
>>
>>49623066
Also traps have been hinted at.
>>
>>49623074
Okay yeah that makes much more sense.
Thanks so much anon sorry I was being a little autistic there.
Magic is harder than just hitting people with my uprooted tree.
>>
File: ooooooooohhh.gif (1MB, 285x169px) Image search: [Google]
ooooooooohhh.gif
1MB, 285x169px
>>49623066
>Mystic, Take 3
Bueno
>>
>>49623109
>>49623109
My guess is Mystic will be full 20 levels, so people can playtest it and balance it more before it gets put in [spoilers]Player's Handbook 2 for late 2017.[/spoilers]
>>
>>49623153
Probably. It sucks, because my DM hates Psionics in general, because I'd love to play one.
>>
>>49623109
Mearls said full 20 levels.
>>
>>49623181
Unless they figure out a way to prevent them from going nova they'll just be banned from every table like in every previous edition.
>>
>>49623181
>>49623180
>>49623202
Is it just me or is the dichotomy between the awakened and Immortal roles to large? I just feel there should be a larger "general" psionic talents section.
>>
>>49623222
>they'll just be banned from every table like in every previous edition

Please go nova so you run out of resources early.

>>49623261
It's too close in the last version. They have access to all the same disciplines. The order label is just which ones grant a slight benefit based on the order you chose.
>>
>>49619586
There's one in LMoP
>>
>>49623280
You don't need to conserve resources when fighting the BBEG senpai, especially when you murder him in a turn or two.

But yeah, continue spamming the minmax forums about how psionics were completely balanced.
>>
>>49623321
What kind of lame ass DM lets you walk up to the BBEG with full resources?
>>
>>49623321
They were as balanced as magic. :^)
>>
>>49623358
New thread is up.
>>
File: 1467610113567.jpg (25KB, 437x471px) Image search: [Google]
1467610113567.jpg
25KB, 437x471px
>>49623066
>- A new downtime system with emphasis on using gold
Yes! Yes! Let it be true!
My GM thinks that downtime is session-waster-fluff-time for kids and never lets anything we do during it give any results.
My groups NEEDS new downtime rules.
>>
Doesn't Mystic right now have a thing where you can only spend X amount of points a round to prevent nova-ing?
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/october-2016-dd-survey

Remember to fill in the October 2016 Survey folks!

This month's survey is looking to get feedback on the Unearthed Arcana's Revised Ranger
>>
>>49623343
What king of lame ass Psion ran low on resources? it took real effort not to effectively have unlimited PP.
>>
>>49623425
>it took real effort not to effectively have unlimited PP.
And they were still a tier below the core full casters and the artificer.
>>
>>49614687
Each time they craft something it costs gold. Their powers run on money.
>>
>>49623411
I wanted to add in the favored terrain again. Free advantage on initiative at all times? Not so much.
>>
>>49623540
Favored terrain was literally worthless
>>
>>49623556
Until your party went to the underdark.
>>
>>49623556
I actually liked it for fluff reasons. I changed it so it added back in favored terrain for the purposes of Natural Explorer, so you'd get all those features in your chosen terrain, and you get a few more as you gain levels.
>>
/5eg/, I need to steal some jungle/savanna/desert cities and villages. For those of you familiar with other settings, greyhawk, FR, whatever, any suggestions on what I can steal?
>>
>>49623578
Good job the Outlander background worked to do anything you needed to. Or a druid with goodberry, or a cleric with create food...
>>49623593
The fluff was nice, but overly restrictive.

Look at paladin's core features. It's not like their lay on hands or divine sense or smite is reliant on being near a church. I get that ranger's thing is being the innawoods or innadesert or innasnow nature boy scout who can save the party's shit out there, but why degrade their combat ability when not there?
>>
>>49614535
I'd go Simon Belmont and use Dex-Paladin with a whip and shield. Divine smite will make up for low damage better than Battlemaster.

Dual-wield ranger whips would be pretty cool, stacking damage fromt hings like hunters mark. Would work well for a beastmaster kind of character.
>>
>>49616169
Spent 100 to 500gp on Goggles of Darkvision.

We had a campaign where only one player lacked Darkvision, so I gave them to him at starting with the minor character hook "You owe a loan shark 500gp, You're already overdue on paying him back so watch out."
>>
Does anyone else have a hard time reading Kobold Press' Book of Lairs from the trove?
My pdf reader on my tablet shows it as black print on a red background, its almost illegible
>>
>>49623066
>- A new downtime system with emphasis on using gold
My group needs this bad. They keep making jokes at each other about how much gold they've accumulated, and how they don't really want to buy anything. I'm never sure what to tell them.
>>
File: tina fey eating a banana.jpg (58KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
tina fey eating a banana.jpg
58KB, 640x479px
Is Blade objectively the worst Warlock Pact?

Just reading over the options in the PHB, it seems like the Tome(extra spells!) or the Chain(free familiar!) are both much better than getting a free, nominally magical weapon.

Which is a shame if it's true, because the magic-looking warlock weapon sounds cool as hell.
>>
>>49623942
Have them get robbed, or blackmailed, or bait them with fine wine and women.
Even murderhobos get lonely or bored
>>
>>49624002
Pact is a free scout + hold monster at late levels
Tome is a ritual caster
Blade is a blastmonkey who can fight with a weapon when forced into melee
>>
>>49623706
I used this
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Mahasarpa.pdf
for mine, mostly trading, population and economy stuff but the fluff should be decent I think.
>>
>>49624011
>Blade is a blastmonkey who can fight with a weapon when forced into melee*
*and is close to outshined by Tome in that regard.
>>
>>49624011
>Tome is a ritual caster
But it says they also get extra cantrips.
>>
>>49624022
Not quite an Indian feel for these, I think; they're more "British Settlement in the Middle East" sorts of places.
>>
File: 1399213527988.jpg (96KB, 450x413px) Image search: [Google]
1399213527988.jpg
96KB, 450x413px
>level 1 Wizard
>did not pick Minor Illusion nor Find Familiar
>picked Spell Sniper from variant Human
I should have consulted the internet before starting this campaign
>>
>>49624002
I took Bladelock for weapon proficiency, Green-flame Blade cantrip. I didnt' bother with the Extra Attack cantrip but took the +Cha to damage. Works alright.
>>
>>49624244
Why don't you ask if you can modify your character (*cough* "retrain") for half of your Gold.
>>
New thread fellas >>49624319
>>
>>49622711
Illusion wizards desu.

Alternatively archfey bladelocks.

Now gw1 would be interesting.
>>
>>49624325
We already had >>49623358
>>
>>49624244
You can still pick Find Familiar when you get to 2nd level and Minor Illusion when you get to 4th.

Spell Sniper is kind of shit, though. But you can probably find ways to make use of it.
>>
>>49620034
Like troll that wears garbage for armor? Shipwreck troll? Take a troll, give him higher AC and whatever other ability you think fits. Maybe increase the cr by 1.

Otherwise there's a doc in the homebrew trove in the OP under npcs that's specifically about trolls, may be something in there.
>>
>>49620034
Jesus Christ, Detritus, trigger discipline!
>>
>>49624615
He is clearly pointing on something he wants to shoot. Stop being an autist.
>>
>>49624787
He didn't really look like it to me. It's just a joke, man.
>>
>>49624826
you are not very good at jokes
>>
File: crying feline.gif (2MB, 372x262px) Image search: [Google]
crying feline.gif
2MB, 372x262px
>>49625038
I mean, it's a joke character. And part of the joke is that his crossbow is really dangerous.
Why you gotta be like that?
>>
>>49625177
The truth can hurt.
I still love you anon.
>>
File: most shameful.png (619KB, 726x589px) Image search: [Google]
most shameful.png
619KB, 726x589px
>>49616523
>3.PF
Thread posts: 378
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.