[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Privateer Press - How the mighty has fallen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: DSC00904.jpg (295KB, 1195x555px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00904.jpg
295KB, 1195x555px
Anyone disappointed with how the whole GW VS PP rivalry turned out?

I can still remember they day warmachine came out and it was just caster with jacks, no infantry-machine shenanigans. Miniatures were always terrible, but 15 years ago, I foolishly thought that the quality would improve. GW and PP were initially not too far out in their miniature, then GW rocketed so far away from PP, while PP has made virtually no improvement over 15 years.

Fluff has never improved beyond the personaly stories of the 2 biggest mary sues, stryker and hayley.

PP was supposed to be the one to steal GW's crown. Even despite WHFB 8th, AoS, 7 and 8e eldar, multiple price raises, and other shitty GW policies, PP never broke through

Now it seem that x-wing has come out of the blue and might be the one to steal the throne. Very fun, very easy to learn.

Then MK3 came out...

Why in your opinion, has PP fallen?
>>
Warmachine has sucked since Remix. This is old news.
>>
>>49601049
What's wrong with remix?

Wasn't that just 1.5e, where they did a massive errata and streamlined stuff, like giving fire to the repenter's flamethrower, etc?
>>
>>49601041
>PP was supposed to be the one to steal GW's crown.
And they did it in terms of rules (most of ex-GW players comes to WH because of rules).
>Now it seem that x-wing has come out of the blue and might be the one to steal the throne.
Already happened.
>>
I remember a few years ago PP fans were the fucking scum of the internet, because all they did was vitriolically decry GW and sing the praises of Warma/Hordes. Like you guys went out of you way, any discussion about anything would turn into "GW SUX BUY WARMACHINE".
Then you guys just kinda went dark. I always wondered what happened. Did you guys lose alot to Mantic? Because for a while mantic shills were pretty annoying
>>
>>49601449

Might have just been the trolls.
>>
>>49601449
There was basically no other competition at the start of mkii.

It's why WMH became strong as it did.
At the time GW really pissed off the fantasy playerbase with Daemons and Vampire counts back to back basically busting the game even further unplayable for low model count armies like brets and ogres.

Infinity still had dog on garbage rulebook formatting and translation so it became a game that never took off.

X wing was in infancy and FF really haven't made their mark in the competitive market yet so the crunch heavy people never really looked that hard into it.

Kickstarter wasn't a thing so games weren't cropping up that often either.

WMH really was the better investment during the first 3 years of mkii.
>>
Here in Los Angeles, PP has definitely stolen the crown. Only ever getting more popular. Not a huge crown to steal, though.
>>
>>49601579
It was like that here in Utah until the release of Mk3. Now it seems like Xwing is the game of choice here.
But it's letting the normies in.
>>
>>49601550

Infinity exploded with Icestorm and N3's drop.

Still, as an Infinityfag, I'm sad to see a rival in decline. Both games grew from under the shadow of 40k's fall from supremacy, and both professed much tighter rules, even if their early models weren't too great. I see a lot of parallels despite the differences and I can't help but feel for our kin from another system, many of whom jumped ship from 40k during its darkest days.
>>
Is there a specific reason why the figures are worse than 40K's? All of the figures in the OP look fine, but I don't play Warhammer or Warmachine so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>49601655

It's often a matter of taste, and warma's designs are kind of... Wayne Reynolds-ish? A whole lot of the design can seem that way, the same thing that turns people of to Reynolds's work.

They also had a history of bad casting way back in the day. They did great metal, but they also had resin that was Citadel Finecast-tier.
>>
>>49601655
Much fewer details, so it's objectively worse. Details give minis a sense of scale without resorting to greeble. Wonky aesthetic, tiny tiny jack legs that got better, but still very tiny, when they switched to plastic. All faces look deformed. Faces is gw's worst point(compared to infinity, mallifaux, etc.), but pp is far worse than them. Most of their minis have bare faces, which makes it even worse. Poor colour area separation makes it a chore to paint. Also, lots of large open areas that require freehand, while detailed areas are cramped together, despite poorly sculpted, so you really got to crank your head as to how to paint in the detailed parts.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.