[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General - /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 49

File: VO8ss.jpg (620KB, 1106x1242px) Image search: [Google]
VO8ss.jpg
620KB, 1106x1242px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous
>>49517043

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's your personal favorite game?

What's your main group's overall favorite game?

Have you ever dabbled with designing a game? If so, how far did you get through the process?
>>
>>49599075

>What's your personal favorite game?
N/A
>What's your main group's overall favorite game?
Cosmic encounter
>Have you ever dabbled with designing a game? If so, how far did you get through the process?
No but seems like a fun task
>>
>>49599075

I have way to many games I really like to come up with 'one' favorite game. My favorite category is apparently 'Space 4x' as I own 6 or 7 games in that category alone.

They like the lighter games so far - I'd say Citadels was a hit. That said, I'm slowly working them into the heavier games.

>Have you ever dabbled with designing a game? If so, how far did you get through the process?

I can't say I've seriously tried my hand at game design. I have considered researching / writing a book on the history of ancient board gaming and comparing with modern gaming design of the last 20 years or so.
>>
>>49599075
CitOW
Right now, Scythe. Before that it was Machi Koro, before that was Ticket, before that was Puerto Rico.
I have an odd group.
I'm in the very, very initial design stages of an asymmetrical area control set in the post-apocalyptic Mojave desert (between the Confederated Californian Community Protectorate, Mr. Hues and his army of wooden robots, a mysterious one-man-army postman with the backing of various local communities, and the Legion) (suck it ZeniMax you can't trademark Roman-inspired post-apoc warriors), and a mission-based point-to-point drafting game set in the solar system as described by Flash Gordon in the Nameless General.
I'm taking physics and compsci and I work part-time so I don't have very much time to devote to this.
>>
File: pic1031980[1].jpg (3MB, 3204x2123px) Image search: [Google]
pic1031980[1].jpg
3MB, 3204x2123px
>>49600104
>literally a board game about colonizing savages
CSI's recommendation engine knows me so well.
>>
>personal favorite
How can you do this anon? How can you possibly ask me to choose a favorite game from my collection? They're all my babies, and I love them equally it's probably CitOW.

>main group's favorite
Fuck those cunts, I no longer care what they think. Gonna find me a new group to game with.

>dabble in design
Tried to make a Caribbean corsair game. Concept Had pick up and delivery, contracts, loot, ship upgrades, 4 naval powers, safe havens and other stuff added. Then we realized Merchants and Marauders existed, and dropped the project.
>>
does anybody have an idea about the printing/availability status of chaos in the old world?

I know its kind of an unknown factor to the general public at teh moment, but i do recall some anons being from ffg and whatnot so figure its worth asking... the thing is so hard to find for a reasonable price, even used it's over 100 bucks :( and it looks really amazing
>>
>>49601117
two threads back I believe there was a guy claiming to be from ffg who said they planned to do one more print of the big gw games before february, and you can bet that chaos would be included in that if it is indeed true.
>>
File: Cat Landing Pad.jpg (207KB, 1153x1107px) Image search: [Google]
Cat Landing Pad.jpg
207KB, 1153x1107px
If anyone on this thread is willing to part with their CitOW box I'll pay $10+shipping for it.
>>
File: 1469290512090.png (366KB, 404x474px) Image search: [Google]
1469290512090.png
366KB, 404x474px
>>49601174
>implying the box itself won't be worth 30+ eventually
I don't have a man rubbing his hands together greedily, so this will have to do.
>>
>>49601206
>I don't have an image
4chan 102: you can paste an image's url into the "choose file" browser to post it from the internet.
>>
>>49601236
or you can
>happy merchant.jpg
>>
>>49601252
Or you can go to /pol/ for all variations on le happy merchant maymay
>>
File: pic2712492.jpg (718KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
pic2712492.jpg
718KB, 2048x1536px
anyone know what edition of I'm the Boss this is?
>>
File: pic1312072.jpg (3MB, 3519x3519px) Image search: [Google]
pic1312072.jpg
3MB, 3519x3519px
>>49595326
>>49595367

did you find it anon?
>>
>>49601658
Would've sworn I had the whole thing, but I only found the free one with the first mission in my drive, sorry. Found the suka blyat translation, digging for scans, will post if what I find.
>>
>>49599075
I hate to sound so bland, but Cosmic Encounter. It's a solid idea that's easy to teach and dabbles in a little of everything. Best yet the idea of the destiny deck completely destroys the annoying idea that anyone is targeting anyone in major ways without separating the players completely.
Magic the Gathering. The fuckers can rarely be pulled away from MtG to every play boardgames with me. Every time I think they're about to get bored, they start discussing "Oh, look at how amazing this new set looks! This is the most fun set yet!"
My friends tried to do it. They wanted to make DnD but with cards. Their complete lack of cohesive focus made the whole project fall apart.
>>
>>49601774
thanks mate,if you have the hd images that'd be great.
>>
File: forge war.jpg (308KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
forge war.jpg
308KB, 600x375px
>personal favorite
I hesitate to say it because I still haven't really played it THAT many times since I got it, but Millennium Blades is just...really fucking good. It's theme is spectacular, it has just the right amount of depth vs complexity, tons of content, etc etc etc. Even when I lose, every time I play it I come out of the game having enjoyed myself immensely. Once the expansion comes out and the co-op/solo scenario is available, it might fully cement itself as my number 1.

Realistically though, my personal favorite off the top of my head would have to be either Forge war with a group or Mage Knight solo. Forge war is also absolutely fantastic solo, but you can't really beat Mage Knight for a solo game imo.

>group's favorite game
Again, probably millennium blades, at least currently, but we're partial to a few others. Red dragon inn isnt the group's favorite necassarily but it gets played a lot. The reason is namely because while the core group is me and 2 guys who can handle a heavy game, we occasionally get other people to join in for a night and have to break out the lighter stuff, and RDI has just enough to it that it keeps us entertained while being light enough that we can get the newbies into it. We also play a lot of sentinels of the multiverse, and there's never really been an objection to it, so there's that.

>dabbled in game design
Yes. Not very but I'm working on it. Long story short, it's a deck-builder, but everyone starts with character specific powers and decks, and can upgrade their own abilities along with their decks as the game goes along.
>>
>>49599075
Eurogame - Dominant Species
Ameritrash - CitOW
Wargame - Triumph&Tragedy

Can't say as we have one favorite game in particular.

Nope.
>>
Aw man that's so hard, but I'm really tired and just list the first three that come to mind : Shadows of Brimstone, Escape : Curse of the Temple & Suburbia
I believe everybody loves pandemic
Yes, quite a few times, I have a few half finished rules lying around on my hard drive. Farthest I ever got is a fully playable prototype for a Saint Seiya themed deck building game but I think it feels way too much like a mash up of Star Realms & Legendary.
>>
>>49599075
Telestrations. Always a hoot.

One of personal favs that we always bust out: Dixit.

Codenames ain't bad either.
>>
>>49604859
>I believe everybody loves pandemic
That started out great, but it doesn't seem to have longevity.
>>
>>49606419
I was talking about my group, I dont think anyone is tired of it amongst all my friends, and we played it a bunch of times.
>>
>>49599075
A tie between twilight imperium 3rd edition, or Summoner Wars

Well, they all really like Ti3, but also dig 7 wonders, Sheriff of Nottingham, and chaos in the old world. So I am not sure

Yes, tried to make a card game where two players assembled mechs and tried to blow up the opposing factory. Shamelessly stole the two deck idea from Legend of the 5 rings, and could never figure out how to make combat satisfying. It either favored attacker, or was miserably clunky, as weapons had ammo, would overheat, or were melee and therefore had no restrictions but had to be weaker overall. Nevermind all the status effects, combat tricks, and faction synergies I threw in. I am also rather poor in math, so that did not help balance at all.

And today, I get to have a game day with friends in an hour. I am bringing
Sherriff
Innovation
For Sale
Evolution
Codenames
Dead of winter (at their request)
Sushi Go!
And Battlecon.

But now, as I prepared battlecon ( I have almost everything, which is ridiculous to bother bringing over), I hunger for solely the fighting game. Perhaps I can convince them to spend a few hours duking it out...

How am I gonna do?
>>
>>49599075

Eclipse.

Codenames.

>Have you ever dabbled with designing a game?
Yes.

>If so, how far did you get through the process?
Not very. I have some mixed ideas for mechanics and themes, but nothing concrete.
>>
>>49606419
>>49604859
I myself have never played it, and have no incentive to do so. My wife played it once, but that was while she in in school to be a health inspector, and she played ti with a bunch of fellow health inspector students, so it was the topical thing to do.

She said it was ok.
>>
>>49599075
Android. the boardgame
assymetrical game where you need to get your guilty hunch convicted while innnocenting your innocent hunch. in the meantime you have to deal with the real life of your investigator and find out the conspiracy.
you can win by a lot of way.
then there is horus heresy chaos in the old world and fortress america
mysterium a game where a ghost send vision to medium to find out who killed him. it s based on interpretation (color details on the card etc etc)
lolno never
>>
what do you guys think of games that include leaving the table for secret negotiations? diplomacy and fief are the only two that come to mind. I think it's a neat mechanic, but I could see how people would dislike it, especially if they tend to be left out of the deals.
>>
>>49606468
Bring fewer games.
Bring only Battlecon, Sushi Go, and Dead of Winter, since they requested it. Eventually they'll have no choice but to play it, unless they want to spend all day playing 2 games.
>>
>>49606468
bleh dead of winter
i m not a fan of those survival zombie game
i would rather play a game like mare nostrum if i had to play for 2/3 hours. but well it s not a coop game.
>>
>>49602597
Damn, Plaid Hat did a good job scrubbing the storybooks from the filesharing sites.
Proving to be a lot harder than I thought.
>>
>>49608005
You might have better luck on the next PDF share thread. They have lists of mega upload sites so you might get lucky there.
>>
>>49602597
this is a test

https://mega.nz/#!SoAD0ZpT
>>
>>49599075

World in flames, a strategic level WW2 game. Monstrously long and complicated, but damn good. Lots of strategic depth and great balance.

The same.

Well, I've done more game editing than I have actual game design from scratch. A while back, for a high school history project, I made a game on the battle of Concord, which was good enough that a few of the guys would play it even when I wasn't dragooning them for an assignment. But I don't have it anymore, didn't think to make a copy board or pieces, and as far as I know, my old HS still has it, unless they've thrown it out.

I am currently, and very idly, no set schedule or timetable, working on a game where you have a !NotByzantine empire in the middle, surrounded by 6 Barbarian players. The Empire wins if at the end of the game they control 80% or more of their starting provinces. The Barbs win if they have a certain amount of gold at the end in their strongholds.

The thing of it is, the Barbs get 1 big lump if they sack a province, but can't generate much gold beyond that. The Empire, on the other hand, can. If the barbarians all gang up on and attack the Empire, they'll crush it, but none of them will get enough gold to ultimately win themselves. What is supposed to happen is a diplomacy+military game where the Empire shifts alliances and pays out gold to the barbarians to get them to fight each other, or at least leave him alone.

In practice, I keep running into a problem that the Imperial player simply picks 2-3 barbarians and puts them firmly in their pocket, and wiping out or withstanding the others, who promptly win. I've been experimenting with mechanics to make it harder to do that, mostly involving having to transport the gold, but it's not going great.
>>
>>49609378

As a total aside, I've recently gotten back into Freedom In The Galaxy. If anyone's interested in a game over vassal (I have a module), or just learning how to play, I'd love to show the game off. It's pretty long to play though, and can be a bit rough if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>49609268
You have it encrypted. No one can download anything without the decryption key.
>>
>>49609390
>Freedom In The Galaxy
I think I remember that game - it came out in the 80's?
>>
>>49609410

79 actually, but close enough. But yeah, it's the blatant star wars ripoff one where you have a band of rebels vs the galactic empire and you have a lot of really neat political and movement rules.
>>
>everyone keeps saying chaos in the old world
I want to try it now and im kicking myself for not securing a copy for 45 when i saw it.
>>
>>49609268
yea its asking me for a decryption key too
>>
>>49609400
Is posting the key safe?
>>
>>49610057
just make the file public instead
>>
>>49610057
what happened man?
>>
>>49610125
>>49610541
Ah, screw it.

https://mega.nz/#!KoImRRYS!h1eeaOjt8wey8Zc9SdNryufuP33sEabJtyyJScXgU-I

Gonna kill the link and delete the file when this thread gets bumped off the board. Or sooner if my paranoia pings too hard.
>>
>>49610008
FFG will PROBABLY have a print run of all the shit they're losing rights to around Christmas. Just call your LGS every week and ask them to preorder it.
>>
Anyone here played food chain magnate before? me and a few friends are thinking about getting it and were wondering if its worth the $80.
>>
>>49599075
What's your personal favorite game?
>Super Dungeon Explore
What's your main group's overall favorite game?
>Kingdom Death (on tabletop sim)
Have you ever dabbled with designing a game? If so, how far did you get through the process?
>a little bit, a designed a were-wolf style game in the theme of The Thing. I stopped when i realized i was developing it more like a video game than a board game
>>
>buy scythe and get super excited to play it, spend all day at work thinking about how much fun it's gonna be
>everyone cancels at the last second
o-oh, okay...
>>
>>49609378
Why not just play Diplomacy?
>>
>>49614515
because his idea is different enough and sounds interesting?
>>
File: Typical Game Night.gif (36KB, 800x300px) Image search: [Google]
Typical Game Night.gif
36KB, 800x300px
>>49614075
That sucks. I hope you get to play it soon.
>>
>>49612460
I hope so.
Too bad i dont know any good local gamestore around my area unless i go into the city for jew prices
>>
>>49611834
thank you so much anon <3
>>
File: IMG_0971.jpg (1MB, 2000x1212px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0971.jpg
1MB, 2000x1212px
>>49616275
Afaik we only have one in my area...way out in the wealthier white part of town. Everyone else is SOL.
>>
File: 1732507-sandwich_crazy_york.png (139KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1732507-sandwich_crazy_york.png
139KB, 320x320px
>Hear Mansions of Madness sold out
>Amazon has it marked at $150 because of the shortage
>Depressed about it because I really wanted a horror game to play and my group has only played Arkham Horror, which while fun was a horribly flawed game
>Dropping by LGS to pick up dice
>They had one left on shelf for $90

My luck man, I tell ya.
>>
>>49617300
visiting my LGS tuesday morning hoping for something similar but with CitOW

lol i doubt its gonna happen but eh its worth a try! besides, theres a few things i wanna pick up anyways so i'll leave happy one way or another haha
>>
>How do you find gamers/a group, anon?

I mean, i have friends, and i have a quasi group... but not really actually i dont have a group in a way... i basicaly just get people to play with me lol

I think im on my way though, some are catchin the ol bug and asking to play.

But anyways, just wondering
>what do you guys do or how has your group come to be.

Also bonus question
>do you game in shops? How is it?
>>
>>49611834
you should prolly delete the link now.
anyway how is mice and mystic?
is it a dungeon crawl vs the GM or a coop game vs the game?
is there a lot of replayability or is it terrible like andor?
>>
>How do you find gamers/a group, anon?
>what do you guys do or how has your group come to be.
Don't really have a "group". A bunch of my friends like board games, and I keep introducing new people to them.

>do you game in shops? How is it?
Nope, I used to hang out in a few board gaming shops and just HEARING people play magic the gathering, Warhammer or heroclix completely turned me off trying to play in a shop. I know that not EVERY player will behave like an asshat, but I dont even want to risk it.
>>
>>49618702
its a coop game with a campaign,very friendly to beginners. theres a limited number of tiles and the expansions are only stories,without any new tiles AFAIK.

why does he need to delete the link?keep it up for people to use
>>
>>49599075

Battlestar Galactica. But A few acres of snow is not far behind.

I don't have a gaming groupe per se. But generally they play whatever I bring with me.

I began to design a boardgame but eventually dropped it. I am currently taking notes on another project, chances I'll never finish it either, but we'll see.
>>
>>49606875
These days, I prefer people do that via text or IM while still at the table just because it slows things down, but if we're talking about a long game to begin with s'cool.
>>
>>49616317
>out in the wealthier white part of town
Got me thinking...
Modern boardgaming seems not to be penetrating into some sectors or communities, but remains a hobby for a small niche in the middle class, though it's gaining momentum.
It was geeky and uncool. Why would the cool kids spend an afternoon chucking dice socializing with the losers? Like roleplaying, it was a refuge.
I was a sheltered inner city kid, always had boardgames around, but what about the other kids, the poor kids? Neglected and left by the TV, played in the street, forced to grow up a lot faster, no time for being a kid. Lot of 'em ended up as juvenile offenders. No time for play when you're trying to survive, I guess. Different priorities for money.
Could something as trivial as a board game have had an impact on people's lives?
>>
>>49618713
I decided I wanted to make it happen and spent several days asking people, relaying messages, and generally doing logistics until I found a day of the week/time that worked for everybody. While not everyone who was part of that original group stuck around, I've got a consistent 3-7 players and if someone new is interested in board games it's nice because I don't have to scramble to get a group together, I can just invite them to my weekly game night. I'd say we've been going for about 3 years now, though some of that has been D&D instead of board games (but we added a smaller, second night for board games only).
>>
BattleCON organized play preseason starts this week. Are you going to your local BattleCON night?
>>
>>49622269
I like Battlecon, but I dislike everything surrounding the game for some reason. The thought of playing it competitively is laughable to me.
>>
File: Rahdo Knows.jpg (132KB, 1203x268px) Image search: [Google]
Rahdo Knows.jpg
132KB, 1203x268px
>>49618702
>is there a lot of replayability or is it terrible like andor?

Heh! Pic related...

I was 'bad' this weekend. Bought Space Hulk Death Angel and all of the expansions for it.
>>
>>49622435
So are you stupid or did you find amazing prices somewhere.
>>
>>49622418
Looking at this it looks like it's more for fun than competitive. The special objectives especially

Plus who doesn't love free stuff
>>
>>49622499
In theory, could you just fake everything to get the free stuff? Are they doing any verification whatsoever? I might do this if I can call my weekly board game session "Organized play" and get free shit for playing with my friends.
It's nice that it seems to be more of a record of your plays rather than an ELO ranking.
>>
>>49622435
dovetailing off your comment, space hulk death angel and the mission pack and tyranid pack are available directly from fantasy flight. who knows how long it'll last. I know I've seen a surprising amount of interest in the game over the last few threads, so maybe this'll help someone

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/death-angel/
>>
>>49611834
ive been looking for this for ages cheers mate
>>
>>49610057
>>49611834
there's nothing to be paranoid about. the key is completely random and unique to that file, not to your mega account or to your ip or anything like that.

I don't fully see the use for having the decryption key like that. if it were tied to your account, then you could post tons of links out in the open, and only share the one decryption key with people you trust and then you'd never get things taken down for copyright
>>
>>49622435
how are the expansions?
I got the base game recently and played it once, solo. felt like it was decent but at the same time idk... feels like as a coop it'd be too difficult, i dont understand the whole "not showing cards but allowed to talk about them" concept. the idea i get from it is that everyone sorta works their own thing out but can share simply if they plan to move attack or support (plus who/where) and nothing else about it.

anyways, anybody try them expansions? recommend or nah?
>>
>>49622949
I've never played it coop, but if I did I would ignore those rules. they're stupid and add nothing worthwhile to the game

I've not played the expansions, but from what I've heard the deathwing marine pack is overpowered, has artwork that doesn't fit with the base game, and is overall just not good. the regular space marine pack makes the game a bit easier, but is actually good and worth looking into. heard only good things about the mission pack, although the card backs are different from the base game and I've heard they can be harder, but at the same time they have more interesting things to do (locations to activate), and finally the tyranid pack is good but only get if you feel the game is somehow too easy. it ramps up the difficulty by a lot
>>
>>49623331
>space marines pack makes game easier
>tyranid pack makes it harder
Sounds good.
>>
>>49612675

Fantastic game well worth the money (even when I ordered it directly from the Netherlands for $130), but know what you're getting in to.

Expect 2-3 hours, especially with the early games and especially with more people. It can run longer if people don't know what they're doing (that is, they get in a downward spiral of lowering their prices with no one knowing how to break the lock so the bank never runs out).

The game is not the most difficult game to learn, but there is a lot of material to cover.

It is very possible to get fucked over with no chance of coming back if you don't know what you're doing. Either tell everyone that ahead of time and roll with it or look up basic strategy.

You could also try a game or two on http://play.boardgamecore.net/ which is very easy to learn the game from (to the point where I would even recommend doing so -- it will handle all of the math for you which may bog down your first few IRL games).
>>
>>49622634
As far as I know there's no rule about private groups, you just need to meet the point minimums according to the player sheets. You could forge the sheets but that sounds like a lot of work for some freebies
>>
I'm looking to add to my collection. What games would you recommend that are NOT:
-dudes on a map
-euros
-co-op
-social deduction/bluffing
-Deckbuilders

Weight doesn't really matter, as long as it's fun, though preferably no microgames. Also, preferably plays at least 4, though 2p only games aren't completely out of the question.
>>
Should I get Forbidden Stars even if I only have a passing interest in 40k? I feel like it'll be one too many games in the same genre, but I hear it's really good and I don't want to pay $300 down the line when it goes out of print.
>>
>>49625286
Grab it if you can, leave it in the wrap until you're sure, resell it in a few years if that moment doesn't come.
>>
File: Ker-Plunk.jpg (140KB, 535x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ker-Plunk.jpg
140KB, 535x1024px
>>49625255
>I'm looking to add to my collection. What games would you recommend that are NOT:
>-dudes on a map
>-euros
>-co-op
>-social deduction/bluffing
>-Deckbuilders

Pic related? There isn't really much left with all of those restrictions. I can't even suggest 'Twister' because it's 'literally dudes (and dudettes) on a map... "I only eat foods that don't cast a shadow". Good luck.
>>
>>49625255
lords of vegas and chinatown maybe?

those are some pretty heavy restrictions mate
>>
>>49625255
Those are a lot of NOTs but it could still be narrowed down.

What do you have/enjoy playing?
>>
>>49599075
I'm currently really enjoying Tyrants of the Underdark, but I will always be a sentinels man.

Hard to say, I go to a big university and my group is pretty big. Probably Avalon, if I had to answer.

>Have you ever dabbled with designing a
game? If so, how far did you get through the process?
I do this all the time. Ideas just happen, and I never follow through with them.
>>
>>49625255
>no co-op AND no bluffing
>no dudes on a map AND no deckbuilders
My best recommendation: coin flips

No but seriously, if you add
>no microgames
>at least 4p
I honestly can't think of a single game that fulfills all these criteria, do you have any examples?

Also, I would be really interested in knowing why you don't want any of the things you mentionned, and how a board game can be made fun without all these things.
>>
>>49600472
>Fuck those cunts

Why don't you take a seat and tell us your story?
>>
>>49625255
Most of the games I own fit your requirements (people who think there are no games left didn't actually think too hard). I don't have an objective measure of fun but Las Vegas and Medici actually produced lots of laughs last weekend which was absolutely refreshing. Other ones I recommend
>Bohnanza
>Cartagena
>Cutthroat Caverns
>Gravwell
>Medieval Academy
>Welcome to the Dungeon
>Wits and Wagers
>>
>>49622458
>So are you stupid or did you find amazing prices somewhere.

Yes!

I.E. it's a matter of your perspective. I picked up the whole set for $100 - at $20 an item it's less than retail for the core game, and more than retail for the 4 expansions. That said, the Ebay crowd is listing the expansions at anywhere from 2x to 6x above retail at the moment. I only expect the prices to become more stupid in the near future.
>>
>>49625643
I enjoy a lot of the genres on the list, I'm just trying to find things that either I don't have any/a lot of, or that nobody in my group dislikes. Personally I dislike combat-heavy games and co-ops, and one of the core members of my playgroups hates euros, which are probably my favorite type of game. I like Deckbuilders a lot, but at the same time I could play Dominion literally forever and I have yet to play a deckbuilder that comes close (though I haven't played Arctic Scavengers yet). As for social deduction/bluffing, I've got resistance, coup, and Sheriff of Nottingham and while they're fine, they've been overplayed in our group and I'm kind of burnt out on them. I guess, ideally, to make everybody happy I would want some sort of engine building game with *direct* conflict, but either where losing doesn't hurt you that badly, or where winning is mostly based on how well you've built your engine as opposed to how tactically you've positioned your dudes, and without much hidden information.
>>
>>49622656
Thanks! I'm sure that there are at least a few anon's who will like snagging these without spending an arm and a leg to do it.
>>
File: sh.jpg (32KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
sh.jpg
32KB, 268x268px
did you guys know you can play secret hitler online at secrethitler.online?
just checking it out, it's quite fun even if it's text only
>>
>>49625822
Hm, maybe it falls under the dudes-on-a-map category, but how do the COIN series of games fit? On the heavier side I suppose, up to 4 players controlling 4 factions with different abilities and win conditions, card-driven and with potential deals/politicking/backstabbing. So far there's COIN games covering the conflict in 90s Colombia, the Cuban revolution, the Afghan war, the Vietnam war (heavy as fuck apparently), the American Revolution (heard this one is so-so for 2 of 4 factions), and the Gallic revolt against Ceasar (more combat oriented compared to the others).

Then there's Churchill which is a pretty heavy 3-player game where you get to "roleplay" Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill and their respective staffs during their conferences during WWII. First, debates over various issues with regards to the war and post-war status happens, done with cards representing staff members. Then theres a simplified fronts map where you conduct the actual war and post-war influence efforts. Of course, rather than dudes on a map you get chits on a map... (no hexes though!). It has a pretty interesting end-game criteria where winning by too large a margin will instead have you losing, as the other two powers would probably team up against you given the political state of the world post-WWII. Also a pretty heavy game.
>>
>>49626357
Still trying to pick my entry point into COIN, haven't found one that clicks perfectly with me yet, partially because of how little hidden information they use.
>>
>>49625255
Survive might work, though if you want to play 5-6 you're gonna need the expansion, but it scales really well no matter the player count.
>>
>>49626574
If anything I'd say the amount of information on display makes the game that much harder, trying to figure where and how an opponent will perform an op/special action, and how you can potentially mitigate, avoid, or sabotage it. Good fun though!

Most people recommend Cuba Libre as the go-to entry game, as there's no lines of communications to worry about and the map is really cramped. Also supposed to be the shortest of the COIN games. I've only played Andean Abyss and Falling Sky, so I can't really comment on CL, and I've not had the opportunity to play them more than a few times total, but I'd probably say they're decent entry points as well, though with a bit more mechanics to worry about than CL. AA has a larger map and LOCs which do add another degree of potential analysis paralysis, and FS has a medium map I suppose (which still manages to feel cramped), and leaders added whose proximity is required for special actions, and in our games had more combat than AA.
>>
>>49626357
I'm *very* intrigued by Churchill. How long would you say the game takes? I'm not sure if my group can handle something that intense if it's longer than, say, three hours.
>>
Can anyone name an actually good co-op game? I've played a ton of them and they've all been a let down other than pandemic and Hanabi and those got old after one or two playthroughs.
>>
>>49625255
Race for the Galaxy?
>>
Games I played and was blown away by their elegance and cleverness: Mottanai, Dominion, Keyflower, Eclipse

Games I'll never play again because once you look past their ridiculously thin theme veneers they have basically no game to them: Sentinels of the Multiverse, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Super Dungeon Explore, Arkham horror, Dead of Winter
>>
>>49628508
I don't think dead of winter is a bad game, but I also think that BSG is much better despite DoW directly lifting half its mechanics from it. They had the chance to make it better, but instead they added a bunch of extraneous features and made the core of the game (crisis management with a betrayer) a lot less interesting.
>>
What are some good 5 player games? No party game garbage. Prefer euros but also enjoy stuff like kemet blood rage blah blah.
>>
>>49628508
>Elegant and clever games
Hanabi, Mysterium, Ra, YINSH, Puerto Rico

Fite me.
>>
>>49628875
Forgot Biblios
>>
>>49628845

You could try Advanced Civilization, the Avalon hill one.

Or AH's Dune.
>>
After years of looking at Catan longingly in stores, I finally shelled out the 50 bucks a few months ago for it.

It's been really nice. Before they were trying to get us to play mexican train which doesn't take much brain power. But now every Sunday my mother, uncle, and I all meet up at my grandmothers house and we trade sheep for logs and fuck each other over for a few hours. It makes me really happy since the four of us all kinda went our different ways.
>>
>>49629302
Holy shit, Catan goes for $50 now??
I got the Mayfair edition in 2012 for $40!
>>
>>49629523
msrp is 50. it's still available for 40 many places online though
>>
>>49628387
Personally I think all coop games are going to be less interesting than competitive ones. A game system just can't remain challenging for long against multiple human intelligences, and the usual dynamic of "most experienced player tells the others what to play" means its in your interest to not make your own decisions. A way around that might be to have an interesting mechanic around what and when you're allowed to communicate.

Anyway Death Angel is alright, but it'll get boring quick.

Space Cadets is quite fun, since it has a time limit on communication and you can't help other people with their tasks. The game system is quite difficult too, which increasing the amount of time it takes to beat it.
>>
>>49629678
There are many Co-Op games that solve the alpha-gamer problem.

Space Alert, Space Cadets, and X-Com does this by time pressure and simultaneous play. There's no way you'll conceivably do all your work and everyone else's work too.

Hanabi and I'm sure others that I can't think of at the moment restrict group information or communication that mean one person won;t be able to accurately direct another person meaning they'll have to make their own decisions.
>>
>>49628508
If you don't mind me asking, what did you not like about sentinels? My friends and I play it pretty often, and I enjoy playing it solo. I feel like it has a lot going for it beyond the theme, which I can understand looking past. I was actually initially turned off by the art, and even now I don't think it's particularly good, but I enjoy the game enough to look past it.

I find it has a lot of decision-making involved in how you prioritize what to attack as well as what cards to use at any given time. Knowing the decks of both your characters and the villains is important too and adds an extra layer. I admit that the game occasionally feels like we're running out putting out fires (even though the fire is technically always in the same place) and there are definitely times where a bad draw just totally screws over a plan, but overall I find the game to be really enjoyable. I can understand not enjoying it that much, but never play it again? That seems harsh.
>>
I've been running out of room more and more lately with the table I use in the living room to store my games and my desk in my room, and so am finally making an IKEA trip tomorrow. Any reccommendations on shelving to look into? I know those standard shelves with the equally shaped square compartments are generally widely used; are those pretty much the standard? I was thinking of maybe getting 3 of them, 2 next to each other and then stacking one horizontally along them, though I don't actually think I really need that much storage (yet...).
>>
>>49630517
Ha, the problem with getting a bunch of empty shelves is you'll go on a buying spree to fill them
>>
>>49630549
Yeeeeeah I'm worried about that. Which is why I don't want to get too many. But I absolutely need at least 1 if not 2. I have a table in the living room (also from IKEA) that has a compartment underneath that I store a lot of games on, and not only can I not fit any more games under there, the board holding it up is actually starting to cave in under the weight. I also keep a lot of games on my desk (ALSO from IKEA) which has a lot of shelving in my room, and those shelves are totally full. I've started putting games on this flimsy metal shelf that's old and really just not well designed for holding board games. Plus it doesn't look at all aesthetically pleasing, which matters to me a little more than I wish it did.
>>
>>49629052
>Dune with five players.
Far from ideal.
>>
>>49630492
There's never ever at any point in that game a single meaningful decision to be made, once you've played it to familiarity (should be half of one scenario).
The play is always INCREDIBLY obvious or often times after your first turn the only play you can make at all. On top of that a lot of the heroes are incredibly poorly designed with decks that will be full of dead cards immediately (see fire and ice guy or tank man) . The rest of the turns for the other heroes can be boiled down to "I do my thing I do every turn, go" and the outcome of the fame has more to do with random chance than good play. It's also a co-op with virtually no synergy or working together, lame stuff.
>>
is cosmic encounter still fun at 3? bgg users say don't even bother with 3, but my group is typically only 3 people and I try to avoid getting games that don't work well at lower player counts
>>
>>49632707
I only recommend at 4 or up.
Negotiations are key so youll be spending 90% of the time trying to sway one person who will probably have heavy bias towards one of you homos.
>>
>>49628508
I wouldn't say there's no game to Betrayal and Arkham so much as just incredibly flawed to almost unplayable games. Betrayal just has no strategy until the betrayal is revealed and then it's 90% of the time just a huge fuck you to one side of the board that makes you completely give up. Meanwhile Arkham has an interesting premise with some strategy, but is such a clusterfuck with rules and just no sense of progression. If things start to get intense, it's likely already game over and if you have things under control, you've pretty much already won and are just playing another half hour trying to finish it off already. Not to mention Arkham has some of the worst expansions I have ever tried. Made the game such a clusterfuck by having new parts of towns each with their own completely different mechanics going on, on top of what is already a clusterfuck of a game.

I'm hoping Mansions of Madness turns out good once it arrives because I see the potential there but it just keeps missing the mark. I at least hear Eldrich did it right.

>>49632707
Sadly I would advise against 3. 4-6, and 6 is questionable by some. I think it's the line for me. 6 is manageable without added clunk. 7-8 are the "why did we even make expansions to go this high?"
>>
hey everyone,is there a list of must play games for people new to board gaming?
i play magic with a group of 4 so a total of 5 people and we're interested in board gaming but dont know where to start.
>>
>>49633158
I like Cosmic Encounter as just a jack of all trades game. Little bit of negotiation, little bit of bluff, lots of player interaction. Simple mechanics made complicated and played differently by all the alien powers. Some powers are OP but the game naturally balances that out by you becoming a bigger target with more threatening powers. It's what got me into the boardgame world.

The rest of my recommendations I would have to ask what you might be looking for.
>>
>>49627483
>How long would you say the game takes?
Once people have an understanding of the rules and flow of the game, I'd say the tournament scenario (5 of 10 conferences) can take up to about 3 hours, and the full game can take 4-5 hours.

>>49628845
CitOW with rat expansion
Terra Mystica
Power Grid
>>
>>49633158
ticket to ride (america or europe), pandemic, codenames, cosmic encounter, the resistance

ticket to ride is a super simple game that literally anyone can play. it's one of the most popular modern board games. you draw cards, play them kind of like a simplified rummy, and then place trains on the board, often screwing up your friend's plans in the process. more fun than it sounds

pandemic is a co-op game where you try and stop the spread of diseases by finding the cure to them before time runs out

codenames is a party game where you have a grid of words and two teams. one player from each team will give clues to try and have their teammates guess the right words. came out last year and it's currently considered the best party game on boardgamegeek and for good reason

cosmic encounter for everything the other guy said.

the resistance is another party game where you're split up into two teams, although this time you don't know who's on which team. depending on what team you're on you'll either be lying to your friend's, or paranoid that they might be lying to you
>>
File: puerto rico.jpg (413KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
puerto rico.jpg
413KB, 1600x1200px
>>49633158
Ticket to Ride is as already mentioned an excellent entry level game. I'd suggest picking up the Europe version over the US one, it's more interesting and I feel balanced out of the box.

Puerto Rico remains an excellent design, proven classic and one of the first midweights I'd suggest picking up. You compete in establishing an overseas colony, growing crops and shipping them out for victory points or selling them for development, spending resources on new plantations, buildings and so. The base mechanic where the players pick roles each round that determine what actions are done and in which order, works great.

Codenames as mentioned is an excellent "party game", though I've felt you kinda would want six players on it at minimum (two teams of one spymaster and two players).

7 Wonders is a light civilization building game that rests on drafting mechanic. Each player is dealt a hand of cards, from which they simultaneously pick one, then reveal and play the card to it's effect to develop their "empire", then pass the rest of the hand to next player. Then repeat with the hand they received. Scales well from 3 to 7 and is pretty easy to pick up.

Eldritch Horror would be my own ameritrash game of choice, though five players maybe starts pushing the playtime a bit. It's a co-operative game based of Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos, where you try to stop an elder horror rising through exploring and solving mysteries around the globe. Much smoother and better experience than earlier Arkham Horror game which has similar concept. Would suggest picking up one small box expansion to it right off the bat to make the encounter decks a bit bigger.

Kemet is an excellent more confrontative game set in ancient egypt, where your mythological armies face off for control. It's much less random and more skill intensive than a classic war-themed board game like Risk.
>>
Of the genre that Omega Protocol falls in, which game of that genre would you recommend? Heard good things about OP but maybe there's something better out there. Got any recommendations?
>>
File: parents.jpg (454KB, 1920x1075px) Image search: [Google]
parents.jpg
454KB, 1920x1075px
>Look at my collection
>Over half of them are coop
>Next game I'm getting is Mechs vs Minions
I'm feeling like a pretty big pansy, but it's just hard to consider where to even begin with what I want out of competitive games. I guess the only thing I really shy away from though is dudes on a map and worker placement. Any good racing games that have a good sense of real player interaction and not a high random chance reliance?
>>
>>49625255
potion explosion
no dude on a map
not euro
not coop
not social bluffing
not deckbuilding
>>
File: pic2625790[1].jpg (647KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pic2625790[1].jpg
647KB, 600x600px
Has anyone played Runebound?

I'm a huge fan of Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2nd. Ed., and I realize that there's little comparison past the superficials of the shared setting (which is as generic as they come).

So I've been thinking of getting it.

Any thoughts? Is it shit? Is it amazing? Are there better options that does the same thing?

Share your wisdom with me, /tg/.
>>
File: image.jpg (170KB, 719x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170KB, 719x1280px
Friend of mine PnP'd Puerto Rico, for $5 it doesn't look that bad. Home printed, used plastic beads for goods and workers.
>>
>>49635538
I'd recommend checking out Mage Knight, as it is an excellent riff on pretty much the same concept as Runebound. Runebound felt pretty mediocre to me when I played a couple of games back in the day.

Admittedly, I was not playing the newest version of Runebound (I think 3rd edition is the newest), and the game might have come long way from that point.
>>
>>49635630
looking at the thumbnail i thought it was runewars
>>49635538
i havent played runebound but i have runewar and it s pretty fun, i wouldnt mind hearing about runebound too.
>>
>>49635630
Runebound 3rd Ed. is supposed to be pretty different, though. The fans of 2nd Ed. is shrieking while the people that criticized 2nd Ed. (and there were apparently many) are generally happier.

Again, though, I haven't played myself. I'm just saying that you should consider trying Runebound 3rd Ed. if you get the chance.
>>
>>49635630
>Runebound felt pretty mediocre to me when I played a couple of games back in the day.
I've played 2nd ed and this is pretty spot on, though I think a large part of it was the downtime; seems to be a running problem with the FFG fantasy options, takes too long overall and you're just sitting forever when it's not your turn. I remember Rahdo once saying the solution was a 2nd set of dice so you could roll before your turn and plan your move ahead, but >>49635747 is also right, 3rd ed is supposed to streamline so it's not such a slog.
>>
>>49625255
>though 2p only games aren't completely out of the question.

Luckily for me, that clause mean I can suggest Twilight Struggle for you.
>>
File: file.png (436KB, 600x460px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
436KB, 600x460px
Not a board game, but do and of you niggas know if this is good.
>>
>>49636461
Has some snowballing problems where an early lead is usually a win, but the game functions. Might be worth it if you're into the theme.
>>
>>49636461
Some people like it but it's not very good.
>>
>>49636461

It's a very light deck builder, might be a good entry level game if you dig the theme (it's paper thin though)
>>
If any of you fags were wanting Forbidden Stars or Death Angel before they're gone forever, Amazon is getting more in stock in a few days.
Just purchased Forbidden Stars for $76, Death Angel for $23, then some Love Letter lookalike cyberpunk game called Cypher.
>>
>>49635543
Nice. I PnP a lot of things, though i don't put much effort in beyond laminating it.

Secret Hitler is a great candidate for it.
>>
>>49625590
Holy shit

I had this game
>>
>>49635543
where'd he get good scans of the boards and cards?
>>
>>49622435

Rahdo seems like a nice guy, if always hopped up. Between him and Zee, they're my go-to reviewers.

PS Fuck SUSD
>>
>>49639064
WIP's Rodney sounds like he is on anti-depressants. Or maybe he's just really happy, I can never tell.
>>
>>49639064

Rahdo needs to lay off the speed. Or pop some downers. He's just too hopped up, can't watch any of his videos past the 3 minute mark.
>>
>>49639064
Rahdo is WAY too conflict-averse. Which is fine, just makes his channel useless to me.
>>
>>49639154

It's funny. That's why I like him. I know exactly what his biases are - 2p and low conflict. That's why SUSD drives me nuts. Just say you think casual and party games are the best thing ever, guys. Quit pretending to like Euros.
>>
>>49609378

From what you say there seems to be an outcome in which no player wins, which doesn't sound so great.

Good luck.
>>
File: yeswedidit.jpg (32KB, 512x340px) Image search: [Google]
yeswedidit.jpg
32KB, 512x340px
YOU GUIZE

I've been dying to get my hands on CitOW and HOLY SHIT U GUIZE that shit is oop as fuhhh. so i call a few game shops hoping to snag one, 5 shops in i find it!!!! AHAHahHAHA im so happy, its goin for 53 bucks and I AM SO THERE holy moly glockamole u guize.... and and and its like idk man i totally though it was impossible hahaha when he said that they have it, i was over the moon :D

The suspicious part of this story though is that i dont think i can make it in there till later tonight like 10 or so right before they close.... and the guy said he can only hold it for me till 630 coz thats when his shift ends... he reassured me that he has a few copies but idk if he realizes how valuable those are right now... anyways let all join hams in prayer to the hopes of me gettting my copy :D

On a side note, the funny thing about all this is that i am excited not having to pay 100+ bucks for this game that i want, but at the same time, my inner jew is telling me to get 2 or 3 copies for dem shekels boyy lol idk, what do you guys think?

And am totally justified in being super fucking stoked about this??? I mean that shit should not exist at this point holy fucking ballsnack u guizeee

WE DID IT BOYSS

If anybody else is interested in gettin at this shop by the way... well... i again am a bit suspicious about this all, so if you are interested lemme know and i'll say where exactly this place is but only once i've secured my own copy :D
>>
>>49639640
Please never post again.
>>
Hey yo, is The Fall of Magic any good? I heard it's got a scroll in it.
>>
>>49639640
Kill yourself
>>
File: 1475076635200.jpg (62KB, 546x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475076635200.jpg
62KB, 546x800px
>>49639640
This is the future SUSD wants to bring in by attracting a "larger audience"
>>
>>49640149
No, thats just a shitposter
>>
>>49640366
I'm not so sure about this. This faggotory dates back to >>49617555 and usually when people do ironic shitposting like this it's with a vague goal in mind. This man doesn't seem to have enemies or is trying to make anyone but himself look bad, I think he might just be the genuine thing.
>>
File: jds - SYLVION-1.jpg (75KB, 382x479px) Image search: [Google]
jds - SYLVION-1.jpg
75KB, 382x479px
>>49599075
>Favourite Game
Haven't gotten into heavier stuff yet, but I really like to bust out Once Upon a Time for a fun casual trashtalking or Caverna for something more strategic, I love playing Sylvion just me and my girlfriend though.

>Main Groups Favourite
Red November has been popping up frequently. Some Dominion. Along with some shitslinging sessions of Talisman that tend to either get really long or really fucking cuhrayzee.

>Game Design
Have been designing some own cards to use in modular dungeon crawlers. Designed some Dominion cards for fun as well.
>>
File: Mai-Star.jpg (573KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
Mai-Star.jpg
573KB, 1000x669px
>>49625255
Mai-Star
>Girls in silky dresses and men in armour
>Japanese
>Kill those other bitchin' girls and rule the shogunate
>No bluffing, just playing to kill
>You all draw from a common deck to your hand, cards which you then immediately play

Hope this works for you, anon. It's also very portable, perfect for bringing to bars or friends.
>>
>>49638484
I asked him and he just said "The internet" well, no shit.
"The internet". Pffff. Smug mofo.
>>
>Buy Scythe for more than MSRP because I can't wait for another run
>Pre-order inis
>Order Forbidden Stars before it goes out of print
>Order through the ages because I need to counterbalance the amount of area control games i'm about to be in possession of

...I may have gone a bit overboard.
>>
>>49641577
Im so tempted to order forbidden stars but most of my friends have the patience of a child.
>>
what's your favorite spooky halloween game? as much as I'd love to get fury of dracula, I have a feeling the time commitment is a bit much for my group.

I was also considering letters from whitechapel, but I heard one too many complaints that it's not super fun if you're a detective

that leaves mansions of madness (if it becomes available again dammit), ghost stories, and maybe escape from aliens in outer space. I'm skeptical of the last one, but I've seen tones of people say it's the most intense experience they've had with a board game, and that has me interested.
>>
File: 20161004_180630.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161004_180630.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Who's ready to crush some ISIS scum?
>>
Played Tyrants of the Underdark yesterday. I know a bunch of you are looking for a decent deckbuilder and this one really impressed me. Seriously, check this out

>>49641979
My first pick is Mansions of Madness, but I also like The Bloody Inn and Mysterium. Broom Service isn't spooky but it just barely qualifies and I love it
>>
>>49642303
I've been going back and forth on if I want mysterium or deception more, and of course I forgot to mention either in my post

also even though they're not halloween themed, I think the suspense of games like xenoshyft, level 7 omega protocol, and legendary aliens would fit nicely as well.

of course omega protocol is currently out of print as well.
>>
>>49642441
>going back and forth on if I want mysterium or deception more
I had that dilemma last month.
Bought deception and never looked back. I felt like i was phoenix wright
>>
>>49640934
>Mai-Star
>Rule the shogunate
I though that game was 'Feudal Japan's got Talent'.
>>
>>49639313
>From what you say there seems to be an outcome in which no player wins, which doesn't sound so great.
One of the best parts of CitOW is that a player left too far behind to win can try to play spoiler and make everyone else lose, therefor also losing but being able to laugh about it.
>>
>>49642127
Juego? GRIS is giving me nothing.
>>
Okay /bgg/, help me out.

I'm new to collecting board games, but I really enjoy the few I have, and wish to expand my collection. Right now, I have Mysterium, which I love, Zombicide: Black Plague which I also love, Guildhall which I have yet to try, Smash-Up which is fun but more a card game, Kings of Tokyo is alright, and my friend has Orcs at the Gates, which we all loved back in the day. I also recall loving Talisman and other games like that. Pandemic is also fun on the hardest difficulty.

I like games that have good-quality miniatures and are fairly simple to learn, with co-op play being a huge plus; even moreso if you can also screw each other over a bit too. Do you all have any suggestions of games to check out? My LGS stocks a fair number of games, but I dunno where to start and most games are $60 or more so I don't want to make a bad investment.
>>
File: pic3016500[1].jpg (478KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pic3016500[1].jpg
478KB, 1000x1000px
I hear a massive number of opinions that are absolutely all over the place on this game. On one hand, more normies I see seem to love it as the best zombie game and like it's twists but I know they can easily get swept up in a theme and not consider how the game will hold up past 2 playthroughs. Around here and more hardcore crowds, I have people saying the game is awful and that you ultimately don't do anything and the entire game is arbitrary. I also know these kinds of people tend to really hate anything that picks up steam and overblow their criticism getting caught up trying to play the anti hype. So since it has been out a while maybe people have settled down enough:
What do you think of the game?
Has the expansion pack made it better.
>>
>>49643585
Haven't played the expansion.
The game isn't bad, but it straight up isn't as good a traitor-in-our-midst game as Battlestar galactica.
>>
>>49643585
Its okay and is fun throughout playthroughs.
Just go with the flow when playing with people.
>>
>>49643275
Labyrinth: The War on Terror 2001 - ? (and it's expansion, Labyrinth: The Awakening 2010 - ?).
>>
>>49643585
The game is significantly better without a traitor.

WAY to easy for anyone who is half-competent to get an auto-win as the traitor.
>>
>>49639640
Oooooo...
...kay?

Cool, I guess, nice find.
>>
>>49643585

Never play this game higher than 4 players. Says it can play 3-5 players but don't play it with 5 because I think this is where most of the complaints come from due to downtime between turns so you end up with people doing nothing while other people do their turns.
>>
>>49643948
Disagree. The traitor is poorly implemented as hell, but not really overpowered. Game's still better off with an additional element of interplayer tension.
>>
File: first time board game shelves.jpg (208KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
first time board game shelves.jpg
208KB, 2048x1536px
Back from IKEA. This is the result after several hours of arranging furniture in my living room and collecting all my games from their various other locations. Probably gonna rearrange some stuff at some point, and get another one of those little drawers to put all the small games in that top shelf into, but I'm glad to finally have a decent storage spot. Also rate my collection /bgg/. Only thing not pictured is Mage Knight, because that box is on my desk with a game running.
>>
>>49643948
I can't agree with that. Knowing where cards come from and only really having one chance to pull off a 'super turn; and having to complete your secret objective before the game ends means that in the games I've played, the only time the traitor has won is if the rest of the players were very close to losing anyways (or were pretty inevitably going to lose) and the betrayer just pushes them over the edge at the last second. Compare to BSG, where you have far more tools than just 'suck at your job' or 'put the wrong cards in', and there's real pressure to oust the traitor before they reveal themselves, AND even if you do catch them that's not the end of their sabotage.
>>
>>49645342
Neato. How much did those set you back?
>>
>>49645544
130 total, 65 a piece. IKEA has some great stuff. Putting them together is easy too as long as you have a hammer. They have one thats one piece but essentially double what one of those is (basically a 4x4 rather than a 2x4) but I went with getting 2 smaller ones so that I could arrange them like I did.
>>
>>49645342
Cozy as shit. Been meaning to pick up one, maybe two of those shelves myself.
>>
>>49640777
>>49640366
>>49639760
>>49639943
honestly this guy just seems like a cringey autist as far as im concerned. doesn't really look good but idc...

anyways, i was wondering, is this autist on to something or completely retarded? in other words, are there only a handful of CitOWs out there or is there enough to go around if i make an effort the next week or two?
>>
File: 1472347865928.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1472347865928.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>49646596
>>49639640
Samefag
>>
just bringing this
>>>/qa/706294
to your attention
>>
>>49647779
/tg/ is likely to be untouched, we have too much traffic.
>>
Drafting Mechanic: Denying for the Next Player

Are there games out there where it is worth it?

Why would I choose to not pick something I could use just to deny the next player what they might want?

About the only occasion I have seen it worth while is when I get nothing I want. Then I might as well deny the next player something they want.

Is it supposed to more like a default option as apposed to a primary option?

I have played 7 Wonders, Steampunk Rally, Blood Rage, and a few others I have apparently forgotten.
>>
>>49647941
Keeping the next dude from completing a set of 3 greens, or extending a set of same greens, is always worth it.
>>
>>49647941
Not a drafting game, but Arboretum's denial mechanic can make your opponent lose more than half their points so it's a good incentive. I'm guessing it applies to drafting games too, deny if they lose enough points that you can win, or let them take it if you're already way ahead.
>>
File: guessagain.png (153KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
guessagain.png
153KB, 1366x768px
>>49646697
that hurts
I thought this was supposed to be a nice place
>>
File: 1004162220.jpg (589KB, 1594x897px) Image search: [Google]
1004162220.jpg
589KB, 1594x897px
>>49645544
The actual shelves are not too much, but if you have them shipped, it's a fuck ton on shipping.

For imitation KALLAX shelves check out the 'Better Homes and Gardens 8 Cube Organizer'.

A pretty good clone. Right two are KALLAX, leftmost is the BH&G.
>>
>>49648566
BH&G looks better desu.
>>
>>49648589
yeah, it looks sturdier
>>
File: 1384367839291.jpg (242KB, 1264x1460px) Image search: [Google]
1384367839291.jpg
242KB, 1264x1460px
>>49643585

>traitors can instantly eat all food without being intervened

Anyway I thoroughly enjoy playing the game with new people and have played a good 6 games now. A lot of replayability and so far every game has been different, but traitors are a massive problem.

Traitors can commit zombie suicide, eat all the food and do a tonne of unrealistic shit if the final turn is theirs and causing a really cheap win.
>>
>>49648909
Maybe house rule an emergency final action thing that can help reduce the effectiveness of the strategy? Something like accuse the player who last took a turn, if they were the traitor, then the two players after them can take an extra turn and try to mitigate any damage they may have done before the round up thing.

Also wondering if the Long Night did anything to balance the game out better.
>>
>>49643585
i played that game once i had never heard of it before, it was ok
it s game mechanism vs players, with the possibility of having a traitor in the group.
you have a personal goal and iirc start with 2 survivor.
as the game goes on you can find new survivors that you can control and other survivor that are just staying in the shelter and need to be fed.
you need to manage the moral and have some choice to do at the start of every turn.
The theme could have been in a trench ww1 in an under siege castle, or in the jungle hunted by cannibals etc etc.

the mechanism are a bit too heavy to my taste a lot of things you need to do before you can start your turn.
i will play a game every once in a while but wouldnt buy it.

hope that helps.
>>
>>49648566
>>49645342
nice collectiosn both of you
i wish i was at home so i could take a pict of my collection and share to have it rate.
>>
>>49645342
>ancient-tv/10
would come over for game night.
>>
File: aloneTG.jpg (511KB, 1917x1077px) Image search: [Google]
aloneTG.jpg
511KB, 1917x1077px
Have you ever played a game alone? I've only ever done it for the sake of learning the rules the day before to teach everyone, and then I'm not playing games really built for it.
>>
>>49636461
It's decent, but I'd only recommend it with one of the Crisis expansions; turns it into co-op.
>>
>>49649518
i ve played quite a bit of arkham horror solo as well as death angel.
they are game vs player so you can play alone.
i also played andor but that game has 0 replayabilty once you ve done the 5 scenarios.
>>
>>49649518

Yeah, mostly to learn the rules, but I also have a few solo games (Onirim & Friday) and I really like playing Ghostbusters, Shadows of Brimstone and Legendary Encounters alone. For some reason I also like playing quarriors alone, but it's not a game that really lends itself to it. I can't explain it.
>>
>>49649518
I only like to play Robinson Crusoe alone
>>
>>49649518

I actually play a fair amount of Death Angel solitaire. Game's really good for solo play and sets up fast.
>>
>>49645342

You know, I never actually play anymore, but fuck me if my pile of Ascension boxes isn't god damn pretty.
>>
I only own like 10 board games compared to all the other regulars in my board game club who own hundreds. Though apparently out of the other members in my group I am the one who has the one most coveted game in his collection and that's the Starcraft Board Game.
>>
>>49634132
Omega Protocol falls in the dungeon crawler genre. Some contenders would be Descent 2nd edition, Galaxy Defenders, Earth Reborn, Imperial Assault. But there are many more. Some are fantasy, others sci-fi. I personally like OP the most but we use the line of sight rules from Imperial Assault since the both the original and errata'd los rules from OP are subpar.
>>
>>49649676
Tell me about starcraft game i always wanted to get it but it s a game by koery kownizka or whatever is his name.
And usually his games are really heavy on mechanism that slows down the game
how does it compare to forbidden star wich i m planning on getting.
>>
>>49649736

I've never played Forbidden Star but at a read up the mechanics seem somewhat familiar as you have an order stack with hidden order tokens that you place on areas you want to execute actions on. However one key thing I can point is that Starcraft has no dice, combat is derived from your own deck that you draw from and match up to the appropriate units as well as any reinforcement cards any techs you buy also go into the deck as well(exceptions can make it put directly into your hand however.)

The biggest hurdle i've generally had when teaching Starcraft was sort of explaining to people who've never played Starcraft before what certain units do and are good/bad at. If you've played the Starcraft video game with even an average understanding of it then you'll easily recognize the units and what they're good/bad at fighting and whether or not you'll win a particular battle and you'll innately grasp about 60% of the game right there and then. I've had some people complain about the combat system before but generally these are people who weren't familiar with the rock-scissors-paper strategy and tactics of the video game so I ended up compiling a quick reference sheet for each race for my group listing pros and cons of each unit. Despite all this it does an excellent representation of capturing the "spirit" of the video game in board game form.
>>
>>49634132

I like to call it Multiplayer Space Hulk.
>>
>>49649852
ok thanks
that korey guy likes not using dices, in runewar it s the same you draw cards for your army and match them to the proper unit type and see the result.

i m torn between starcraft and forbidden star. i want a space op game that is translated in french... otherwise i would be going to twilight imperium obviously.

how long is a game of starcraft? is it playable in 1v1 or ist fun only when you got 3 players?
>>
>>49649886

You need minimum 3 players for Starcraft. It's amusing that you can't really play Starcraft the board game 1v1 when most of the time in the video game the games were 1v1 matches in many competitive modes.

Forbidden Star apparently has some dice rolling(I don't think you can really play a Warhammer or 40k themed game without some element of dice rolling) so there's that.

Game of Starcraft should take about maybe 2-3 hours and me saying 2 hours is being very optimistic with people who are familiar with the game so on average about 3 realistically. Your first time playing as always with almost any board game for the first time is probably going to add 2-3 hours on top the average estimated playing time.
>>
File: IMAG0911.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0911.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
>>49649415
Finally home here is my collection
>>
File: IMAG0912.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0912.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
>>49650082
2nd part>>49650082
>>
>>49649986
>Forbidden Star apparently has some dice rolling(I don't think you can really play a Warhammer or 40k themed game without some element of dice rolling) so there's that.

Its a combination of dice rolling and card play (from a deck built similarly to SC's tech deck.) Dice are rolled, then cards are played to augment or change the results.
>>
File: mv2.jpg (407KB, 1600x1180px) Image search: [Google]
mv2.jpg
407KB, 1600x1180px
>>49625255
Mystic Vale? Technically it's a card-crafting game and not deck-building
>>
>>49649518
>>49649532
>>49649573
>>49649621

You guys should look at Hostage Negotiator
>>
File: android.jpg (97KB, 1050x300px) Image search: [Google]
android.jpg
97KB, 1050x300px
>>49625255
try fluxx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluxx
it s not really deckbuilding
the rule and victory condition change everytime

Also i d concider android
>>
>>49650082
>>49650097
>Tannhauser
Mein Bruder
>>
>>49642127
Just make sure you don't get out-luc....I mean out-skilled.
>>
>>49642127
i mistook the close up with twilight struggle
>>
>>49650929
WTF is a 'Card Crafting' game? It sounds like 'Graphic Design - The game!' - Draw and Paint new MTG cards. Amaze your friends and family - win fame and fortune!
>>
>>49651107
sadly the gevaudan map was never released.
i got most of the french figurines.
game is pretty fun i really dig the line of sight color scheme
i wish they had develop the background more, the books were terrible thou
>>
>>49651918
It has transparent cards similar to Gloom. Its basically a deck builder, but cards added to your deck fuse with existing cards rather than becoming an additional card.
>>
>>49651970
Yeah, shame about the whole thing really, wish FFG had at least kept up support for another year or so.
Managed to collect everything but the magazine promos before it all went out of print, but don't get to play it nearly as often as I'd like.
Still trying to come up with a good 2v2 setup.
>>
>>49652202
Heard mixed thoughts about it. One guy tried to make his group play it, the reaction was basically "stop trying to make Tannhäuser happen, it's NOT going to happen "
>>
File: Tannhauser.jpg (47KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
Tannhauser.jpg
47KB, 450x300px
>>49652562
The game's got problems, combination of dice combat and very killy mechanics mean strategy and luck are, at best, jockeying for the drivers seat, and the rulebook gamemodes play way too slowly. But set up right it's as close to Wolfenstein as boardgaming gets.
>>
>>49649112
How about: Just before a player executes an action, players can vote on whether to exile them BEFORE said action occurs.
This should force them to be a little more sneaky in their tactics.
>>
>>49652869
After each action dice spent would work better, allow them a single overt action before they get kicked out.
>>
>>49652173
So, it's really a deck builder / drafting mechanic variant? OK. One more new bit to add to the gaming vocabulary list... Thanks!
>>
>>49649112
>Also wondering if the Long Night did anything to balance the game out better.

Yes, it does add a mechanic to allow players to vote to keep the 'current' first player for another turn if the player next in line is suspected of being the traitor. This helps prevent them from executing a 'one turn' TPK without the group having a chance to counter it. That said I do like STEEV's suggestion >>49652977 which could be implemented in addition to the above rule.
>>
File: 1320690419491.jpg (545KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1320690419491.jpg
545KB, 1680x1050px
>>49599075
dear BGG

I have too many games
I want more
many more.
I still want dead of winter, eldritch and arkham horror expansions, mansions of madness, scythe, cthulhu wars and many more

I am a sucker for games with many figurines... I use them for my DnD sessions...
>>
File: 1327413401041.jpg (103KB, 676x800px) Image search: [Google]
1327413401041.jpg
103KB, 676x800px
>>49653318
ooh and zombicide black plague!
man, those figs are the shit.

and that kickstarter game: Lobotomy
those figs man... help me /tg/
>>
>>49653347
Give me the games and you keep the figs.
Its win win for both of us
>>
>>49653389
it is a lot of money for jut the figs tho, I want both... I shall not want, I shall not want
>>
>>49653430
I just want the games and hate paying such high price for minis i dont give jack shit about
>>
>>49653570
Buy a 3D printer they're cheaper in the long run
>>
>>49652562
More like one guy had a bad experience and complained enough to turn people away from it if I remember correctly.

>>49652869
>>49652977
>>49653199
I like it, and the The Long Night solution is pretty neat too. If I ever play enough DoW that the problem pops up, I'll have to remember these to suggest to the group.
>>
>>49653318
Scratch Arkham Horror off the expansion you might want. It doesn't make the game more fun, just gives you another place you have to keep track of, complete with its own set of rules and counters to keep track of. Really annoying.

I understand though. I'm a completionist and always want my boardgames to have every expansion for the most fun experience possible. Just bought Mansions of Madness with both expansions. I've learned over time to research how well expansions stack though. Innsmouth was the expansion that taught me not all expansions make games better.
>>
>>49654071
literally none of the expansions are worth a look? I have heard good things about the miskatonic one.
>>
File: daniel.jpg (2MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
daniel.jpg
2MB, 3456x2304px
has anybody here played dark moon?
anybody else find daniel to be suspicious?

I mean, everyone seems normal, even he does... but there's just... something /off/ about him... u know?
>>
>>49654380
>cannot become fatigued

niggas a Russian robot vampire
>>
>>49654169
I don't have any besides Innsmouth, maybe some make the game better? Honestly Arkham is just a game I've been ok with retiring. I got a solid 6 or so playthroughs with friends and none of them want to play anymore thanks to just what a mess it can be. I bought Mansions of Madness for the sake of replacing it, though I hear Eldrich Horror also does a great job replacing it.
>>
>>49649434
We've got 2 crt's in there because we used to play a lot of smash bros. Lagless TV's are great to have around for things like that. The one on the right there is MASSIVE as well, so that's a plus. Just sucked getting it into the house originally.
>>
>>49654415
eldritch is a nice replacer, bigger world, but less depth. It is also easier to pick up for new players
>>
>>49654380
I'd place my suspicions on the Japanese dude with a girl's name.
>>
>>49649622
I want to move that catacombs box and the lamp and have all of my ascenion lined up along the shelf on the left, I had them like that on my desk in my room, but I wanted to put everything in the living room. Same goes for my Thunderstone boxes. Most of them are empty, but I saved them because having like, 7 boxes from the same game just looks great all in a row. On that display I've only got the base box, which I've shoved everything inside of.

>>49650082
>>49650097
Really like the big display boxes. Is that the original runewars? I've been looking into picking that game up, and was interested in that edition, but it's crazy expensive so I dunno if it's worth it. Not to mention I dunno how often I could get the guys to play it.
>>
File: image1.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>49649622
>>49654489
For reference, this was my original desk set-up in my room, where I kept a lot of my soloable games. This is an old picture so it doesn't have the 2 most recent ascension boxes in it, and I had moved things around a bit, but I couldn't bring myself to throw away the expansion boxes for thunderstone because I loved having them all together like that. Originally I had them lined up along with ascension, but space on the shelf got tight. Maybe one day when I feel the need to get ANOTHER shelf (which, who am I kidding that's gonna be sooner rather than later at the rate I buy games) I'll go ahead and display them all in a line again.
>>
>>49654415
I'm honestly probably not going to touch my Arkham anymore, with Eldritch Horror on the shelf. It's just thatm much more playable. Should really just offload that + Dunwich + small box I have.
>>
>>49654380
Dark Moon as fell flat twice with my group. I keep telling them that it's a very short game but they keep trying to play it like Battlestar Galactica going for the long con instead of making it a race to escape/blow shit up.

We're gonna give it one more go and if it doesn't work out it's getting packed up and sold.
>>
>>49653917
>I like it, and the The Long Night solution is pretty neat too. If I ever play enough DoW that the problem pops up, I'll have to remember these to suggest to the group.

Just make sure you explain it to the group beforehand. STEEV's suggestion of "after each action dice" being able to take a vote to expel someone is good, but it's effectively an 'interrupt' (per MTG) and not part of the 'standard' turn order mechanics. That said, I do think that it's a solid solution to the 'one turn' total party kill that can happen under the base game traitor mechanics.

Personally I was also toying with the idea of house ruling that a traitor had to take some sort of action against the colony at least one time out of very two turns - such as contributing the wrong cards in the crisis pile, etc. It didn't have to be overt, but it had to be something unhelpful.
>>
>>49654380
My group has had a blast playing this. I'm hoping to get it played again at our next meetup in a couple of weeks.

As for Daniel - he looks like the freaky android doctor from the Alien movie. Trust him? ALL OF MY NOPE!
>>
So forbidden stars is back up on amazon for 62 dollary doos.
Should i get it if i have some kinda interest in area control games?
I only want one area control and i dont know whether to get this or kemet. Im not interested in either theme (egyptian/warhammer) i just want to know which one is deeper/has better replay value and which one is more accessible for my retarded ass friends.
>>
>>49655270
lucky you. in france it s at 99jewros
fuck those gameworkshop game with insane licence price... i like most of those game but they cost a kidney
>>
>>49655270
Kemet's more accessible by a mile, and much more flexible with playercounts - though Forbidden Stars probably handles 1v1 better.
There's more complexity and chrome in FS, but I'm not actually sure I'd call it deeper, don't have enough plays.

If I had to pick one of the two I'd probably go with Kemet.
>>
>>49655305
>99 euros
Jesus fucking christ, im sorry to hear it costs that much.
>>49655311
What do you mean by chrome?
Also know any other good area control games? I only plan to have one or two (three if Citow gets reprinted) in my collection because i cant imagine ever being too big a fan.
>>
>>49655393
Chrome is unnecessary additional bits, be they mechanical or physical, that improve the representation of the game's theme without significantly improving the game's mechanical strengths.
>>
Honestly my pet peeve about Dead of Winter is the earmarking of of item cards to the various locations. Traitor pretty much has just his starting item hand to spike crisis checks without narrowing down hard who the traitor might be, if any attention at all is paid by others.

That and the traitor strategy of "play it safe, then eat the food, make the noise, tank the morale" once you're up for the double turn. To which that expansion solution sounds a pretty cumbersome one.

And the insta-kill exposure die, goddamn.
>>
>>49655393
Any chance a more euro style area control might interest you, or are you looking at the Kemet / CitOW / Blood Rage style?

There I would suggest El Grande to anyone, any day of the week - if only one could be had for sensible amount of dollars. The game is badly, badly due a reprint.
>>
>>49655393
well if you want pure area control then the king is still el grande.
if you like games like citadels, coup or libertalia, then you should check out mission red planet since it has that secret role selection.
belfort is area control meets worker placement
if you want a quick and lighter game, then 8 minute empire legends would be worth checking out as well (takes more like 20 minutes to play)
>>
>>49650929
Yeah, this actually looks really cool. Does it play well competitively or is it more about making unique interactions?
>>
I really wish bgg's advanced search was better. I should be able to add the family and type of game to my search

also I should be able to specify the community's player range and even the best player count

it has so much potential and that's what bugs me
>>
File: 1389146306950.jpg (8KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1389146306950.jpg
8KB, 224x225px
>>49655577
>And the insta-kill exposure die, goddamn.

Oh come now! Someone has to make foolhardy choices just like in the movies. A few games back and I was just the fool to do it too.

Walk back from location to colony and get bitten. Sacrifice 2nd character to stop the spread or roll for it? Me - I'll roll. Fail and lose a 2nd toon. And then 'I'll roll again - what are the odds?' Of course I fail and now I'm out of toons. My buddy looks at me and says 'Fuck it - I sacrifice this dude to stop the spread.'

Pic related - MFW bad decisions and bad dice rolling combine to make me 'That Survivor'.
>>
>>49655772
In mystic vale you don't directly interact with the other players. the way to win is to make a better deck to go through your deck faster to score more points. They're going to release a more competitive game with that mechanic next year though
>>
>>49656914

This is why the dog is the best character in Dead of Winter.

When you're stuck and you need help, Sparky will show up in a Snowmobile with Night Vision Goggles and a Sniper Rifle.
>>
>>49651918
>>49655772
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFfSww_AdMg
>>
File: cosmo.png (282KB, 366x439px) Image search: [Google]
cosmo.png
282KB, 366x439px
>>49657416
Literally last time we had sparky he got the snowmobile, night vision goggles, radio, sniper rifle, and two colt 1911's.
He had the secret objective that has you stockpile fuel to burn down the colony.
We've decided he's some kind of soviet sleeper agent.
>>
>>49656914
My issue is that the foolhardy choice just isn't a real choice. Several players need to go outside to scrounge, period, otherwise you just lose. So 1/12 to die on move just ends up a high variance way of killing off occasional survivor and enabling some character abilities and items, with the big downside that at times a player doesn't really get to play the game because he just rolls shit. Obviously there has to be some cost attached to moving, but I'd have preferred something like moving between locations simply generating noise (with consequences later) instead of flat out "you die".

I have no issue with the exposure die in combat checks, those need to risky. It's really the moving and the exposure die that bothers me.
>>
>>49657629
We let uninjured characters take a frostbite to move if they're bothered by the variance. Adds a little more value to medical supplies.
>>
>>49657930
Sounds to me like a reasonable houseruling.
>>
>>49658012
It's worked well, harsh enough that it's almost never a default choice.
>>
File: IMG_0324.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0324.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>49599075
I WANT MY MONEY BACK
>>
>>49658372
Who finally got it in stock? Miniaturemarket?
>>
>>49658455
CSI. Had it preordered in August.
>>
>>49658472
Same here, but I'm still waiting because the goddamn star trek 4x I ordered with it is still mouldering in some warehouse.
>>
Here's a question for you guys, I'm from the UK and it's my brother's birthday in a couple days. One of the things I was getting for him was Dominion but Wayland Games completely messed up my order and I need to come up with an alternative. Doesn't have to be similar but if anyone has any games they want to recommend in the same kind of price range (about £30-40) then I'd really appreciate it!
>>
>>49659173
Number of people you expect he'll be playing with?
Any other games he likes?
Personality more aggressive/boisterous or reserved?
>>
>>49659239
Preferably playable with 2, most we tend to have is 4/5, not too competitive but really quite an all-rounder honestly. We both have quite a few games and I'm struggling to think of the best examples. Last time I hung out with him and some other people we played Elder Sign, Takkenoko (excuse the spelling) and the Ghormenghast board game.
>>
>>49658372
Why do you want your money back?
>>
>>49657403
I mean, that's still competitive. What I mean is, how likely is it that the more skilled player will win a game, and is there a reasonable skill ceiling?
>>
>>49659702
It's pretty balanced on this side. Even if you are the most skilled player, you might come close or end up losing just because you're pushing your luck too much on the wrong card upgrades are available on your turn. The skill ceiling can go pretty high, you can only think of your own deck if you want or you can start picking card upgrades or vales that you know will screw some other player

Don't know if I answered right, english isn't my first language
>>
>>49659702
It's a deckbuilder anon....just get lucky you have enough to buy the must have cards when they are available and thats about it.

Mystic Vale is even more prone to this since everyone will do everything to try and get the growth symbols, and there are only a handful available.
>>
>>49659829
yeah you're right, that's why they are releasing an expansion, we'll see how it goes.

It's really kind of a beta for their system and I bet they'll find a great way to use it in Edge of Darkness
>>
>>49652173
This intrigues me greatly. Is it any good?
>>
>>49659970

>49659903
>>
>>49654169

I have a friend that has all the expansions to Arkham Horror. It is a pain the ass to setup and tear down.

I am not sure really what they do because we almost only play it when there are 8 people. With that many players nothing can really be a threat. We actually run out of stuff to do because we have at least two specialists to take care of it.

A big problem was the expansions mostly needed Mythos cards to activate and the Mythos deck can get bloated. This can lead to the the expansions rarely activating.

Friend also got Eldritch Horror. We have liked that better but, find it considerably more difficult the Arkham.
>>
>>49659657

I am going to go with he is joking because when you took that board out the punchout had already fallen out.
>>
>>49659903

I'm quite stoked about Edge of Darkness, hopefully they don't fuck it up.

Not that I hate mystic Vale, quite like it actually. lovely little game, just not enough in it to warrant buying if you already have older deckbuilders.
>>
>>49660110
>>49659657
my manicure only lasted two days!
>>
>>49659483
You could go with Core Worlds if you want a deck builder that does well with 2 - 5, or 'Roll for the Galaxy' if you want a moderate weight engine building game that plays 2 - 5. Race for the Galaxy is also excellent but a bit heavier. Roll for the Galaxy games typically only last 45 minutes even with 4 to 5 players.
>>
>>49658372
>>49658455
Is that 51st State? It's a shame about that damage. I guess you'll just have to sell it for cheap and get a new copy... Right? <Wink wink, nudge nudge!>
>>
File: XZN7yTw.jpg (364KB, 1000x419px) Image search: [Google]
XZN7yTw.jpg
364KB, 1000x419px
Jealous?
>>
>>49660627
Nah, Cry Havoc, though I do see a little artstyle similarity now that you mention it.
>>
>>49661043
Porn! PORN!!!

>>49661468
Ah, hopefully folks here will let us know how they like it. I've seen a bit of info on BGG, but nothing I'd base a purchase on yet.
>>
>>49661043
Special edition? Looks fantastic.
>>
>>49599075

I have a few. I love Legacy: Duke de Crecy though. I'll play anytime with anyone.

They've been digging Broom Service lately. Highly underrated gem. We also recently played Rococo which we really liked.

God no. Bitching about the designs of others is the closest I've gotten.
>>
>>49659829
Only deckbuilders with trade rows are prone to this. Which basically means everything besides Dominion, but still.
>>
>>49661934
And Thunderstone. And Trains. And Arctic Scavengers.

I personally hate trade rows in deckbuilders. Removes the majority of planning and strategy besides 'what's the most expensive, most powerful card available I can afford'.

But yes, so many god damn deckbuilders use trade rows it makes me sick.
>>
>>49661792
>Broom Service
>Underrated
It won Kennerspiel des Jahres
>>
>>49662083

I know. But it's never talked about by gamers or hits the "top 10 of 2015" rankings. It's sitting at BGG's 436 a few spaces below Hawaii.

Tangentially, I love Kennerspiel. Their year-end nominees and winners almost never disappoint unlike Spiel de Jahres.
>>
>>49661934
>>49661991

What is a trade row?

I looks like the only deck builders I have played are the ones you mentioned that do not have a trade row.
>>
>>49662499
A trade row is when you have a deck and a buy area, and the buy area has a set number of cards that refill from the deck.
Dominion-type is all the cards out there in stacks.
>>
>>49662553
Neither Thunderstone, Trains, nor Arctic Scavengers have trade rows of that definition though.
>>
File: Reading-Comprehension[1].jpg (52KB, 709x276px) Image search: [Google]
Reading-Comprehension[1].jpg
52KB, 709x276px
>>49662585
He mentioned those as being deckbuilders beside Dominion which do not have trade rows.
>>
>>49662585
he was saying those three games use the dominion model

games like ascension, legendary *, and star realms have the trade row
>>
>>49662620
>>49659829
Holy shit I just realized.
What if we took a trade row.
And put in a Dominion-style.
>>
>>49662615
>>49662620
Ah, okay, my bad there.

A few suggestion for making trade rows closer to the Dominion style (fixed market?) is to play with the top card of the deck face up. You'll know what comes next, and you'll know if you can afford it. Do you buy that big card now and risk letting someone else get that card? Or do you waste your moneys and let someone else put that card down into the trade row so you can maybe buy it later?

Wanna take it further? Split the deck equal to the amount of spaces on the trade row. Take it even further? Split those decks by have, and give each space two decks, drawing from them alternately. Of course, with the top card revealed.

Definitely increases the strategy involved, though in the end you still rely on getting a good hand to get anywhere.

>>49662646
Depends on the game. The realms series can't really do this since the big cards are usually 1-ofs.
>>
File: valley of the kings.jpg (1022KB, 2000x1267px) Image search: [Google]
valley of the kings.jpg
1022KB, 2000x1267px
Valley of the Kings (and its expandalones) have the least shit (and actually pretty good) trade row implementation: you have a pyramid of three rows of cards (3, 2 and 1 card), where only the bottom row can be purchased. When you buy a card, you "collapse" a card over it from middle row (one of your choice if you buy the middle one) to replace it, and collapse the top row card to replace that one. Top row is replaced from the deck.

Thus you have a variable market row, but you also know what is coming after your buy, and have some control over what is available next. Several cards have abilities that meddle with pyramid cards and their placement.

Valley of the Kings also manages to do something that a whole lot of post-Dominions deckbuilders fuck up: have good cards with good victory point values without things just snowballing into a win when a player who gets to buy the best cards first just pulls too much ahead: a card in your deck is not worth victory points, you need to entomb it (trash it) to a separate pile before the game ends. So you need to make the actual choice between getting to do things and getting the points when you still can.
>>
>>49655606

The big box is goin for about 60 bucks and it looks like the base game in it is generally nicer than the regular el grande game. plus it comes with way more than you probably even want lol but hey, if you like the games, then it's probably eventually gonna be nice to have all them extra expansions. but yeah it is way way way overdue for a reprint.
>>
File: INCLUSIVE.png (13KB, 646x162px) Image search: [Google]
INCLUSIVE.png
13KB, 646x162px
how diverse are your favorite board games?
>>
>>49664411
What game is that? What the fuck game are those shiteating troglodytes talking about. I will burn every copy and murder anyone who has ever played it.
>>
>>49599075
>personal favourite game
Split between Eldritch Horror and T.I.M.E Stories.

>main group's favourite game
I don't have a group. I'm in grad school in Japan, and my Japanese is survival, so playing with the locals must be language independent. And I simply don't have the time.

>ever tried game design
No. I would like to make an expansion for T.I.M.E Stories. Perhaps once I graduate.
>>
>>49664411
for some reason i want to think it s dead of winter. but i m seeying a [scythe] so i m confused since scythe is russianish setting.
also dead of winter doesnt have specific race.
>>
>>49664892
They have these weird things that let them put their favourite games next to their usernames.

Starter set points to some sort of frequently expanding game, either T/LCG or miniatures gaming. No white characters are a pretty big hint too. Maybe Infinity?
>>
>>49654983
Interrupts haven't been a thing in MTG for almost two decades.
>>
File: 1450254429241.jpg (252KB, 1832x1384px) Image search: [Google]
1450254429241.jpg
252KB, 1832x1384px
>>49665062
>>49664724
>>49664892
>>49665062

You niggas need to learn2google

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/2zncgt/strong_female_leads_kinda_wsig/cpkm97p
>>
>>49665339
kek that thread.
>My girlfriend is not satisfied with the position of female characters in boardgames.
i m wondering if after one month he s now raising someone else's child.
>>
>>49643585
>dangerous trek to police station
>find gun
>instantly teleport gun to home base
>takes action to hand gun to someone else standing right next to me in police station
K.
>>
>>49663416
These two factors are why it's my favourite deck builder.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.