[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /tg/, rolling up a pathfinder character and I've encountered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 2v7tpgm.jpg (21KB, 448x194px) Image search: [Google]
2v7tpgm.jpg
21KB, 448x194px
Sup /tg/, rolling up a pathfinder character and I've encountered a dilemma.

Where do you rank someone who primarily follows Nietzsche's idea of Will to Power on the traditional D&D alignment scale? I'm tempted to take the easy way out and just go with True Neutral, being primarily concerned with his own advancement above all else. At the same time though, the deliberate disregard for conventional morality could push him into chaotic territory.

Thoughts on the matter?
>>
>>49587186
Chaotic Neutral. The Ubermesch could not be constrained by any laws not his own.

For fun times have him fight to STAY neutral, as he tries to hold himself back from the "short sightedness/somesuch" of good, and tries to resist the temptations that evil offers him. He must have the will to power, but he cannot be pulled into thinking himself master or dominator.
>>
>>49587186
Neutral Evil.
Laws can be used to aid you in reaching power.
>>
>>49587256

Fair enough. I also really like this terminal from Marathon and the one before it: http://marathon.bungie.org/story/durandal.html#14

>Organic beings are constantly fighting for life. Every
breath, every motion brings you one instant closer to your death. With that kind of heritage and destiny, how can you deny yourself? How can you expect yourself to give up violence?

More specifically the view of life as a struggle with the driving force behind it being to overcome it. There's this idea of an eternal soldier fighting a constant war, striving to become an even greater warrior.
>>
>>49587186

So a variant on the 'committed nihilist/anarchist' alignment problem.

In AD&D, Chaotic Neutral meant being committed to undermining structures like moral codes and institutions. Later editions ditched that though, for the best IMO.

Overall though I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree a bit. Alignment is a descriptor of how you act. On the moral axis, if your Will to Power routinely leads you to commit Evil actions, you'd be Evil. If it doesn't then you're probably Neutral. On the ethical axis, if your Will to Power means you always challenge authority, resent hierarchies and traditions, then you'd be chaotic. If you don't really care about those all that strongly then you're Neutral.
>>
>>49587256
Correct answer is correct.

Also? You're an edgelord.
>>
>>49587186
A focus on your own advancement over all else is non-Good, and probably non-Lawful but apart from that, you can run it however you like.
>>
File: Mayhem-Wolfslairabyss.jpg (10KB, 298x293px) Image search: [Google]
Mayhem-Wolfslairabyss.jpg
10KB, 298x293px
>>49587419

Out of all the characters in this party I've seen so far I'd say I'm the least edgy since I'm not explicitly evil or malevolent.

But I've been on a huge black metal kick recently so I won't deny that charge in its entirety.
>>
File: IMAG0166.jpg (1MB, 3264x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0166.jpg
1MB, 3264x1952px
I'd say anything not Lawful Good would work.

You're talking about a system of ideals, not -necessarily- a template for behavior.

A wonton disregard for traditional authority and conventional morality frees you to make other decisions unfettered by fear or society or ostracism or God(s). But as for what man you choose to be after you've broken the chains of restriction, THAT is determined by your alignment.

For example, let's say your characters were mentored in Philosophy by a Lawful Neutral monk of Irori who believed in self-perfection above all else, and also believed that teaching a subject was the best way to master a subject (he's not entirely wrong). So you have a perfectionist anti-nihilist seeking personal mastery and incidentally creating disciples.

Your chaotic good character might undergo his tutelage and decide he likes his community and -of his own volition- decides to defy the authority of the local wealthy government for the sake of his friends.

Your Lawful Evil rival also was a student and decides to believe in himself over conventional faiths. He's tired of the fate of man being decided by puppetmasters on other planes and decides to make it his personal mission in life to kill the Gods or try to sever their control over our primal realm.

See what I mean? Saying your character follows a Nietzschean philosophy is more a conversation/story STARTER than a complete story or story Ender.
>>
>>49587440
Listen, we can all indulge in a little edge without being Coldsteel. 40k is the fucking mascot franchise of /tg/, I think we can all agree we enjoy a bit of the ol' edge.
>>
>>49587186
>>49587256

Whatever they decide to be. That's the point.

"Can you give yourself your own evil and your own good and hang your own will over yourself as a law? Can you be your own judge and avenger of your law? Terrible it is to be alone with the judge and avenger of one's own law. "

Not just breaking old strictures and morality, though that must happen, but also the creation of new laws.

"Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman--a rope over an abyss"

The abyss awaits for the one who cannot cross. Who in breaking the old cannot create the new.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.