[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The magic of random mishaps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: what-the-fuck-am-i-casting.jpg (50KB, 435x571px) Image search: [Google]
what-the-fuck-am-i-casting.jpg
50KB, 435x571px
So i'm DM'ing for a game in DnD 3.5, and i've implemented a couple simple rules to keep crits and fumble's in line for casters and melee.

>one crit and one fumble per turn, for everything. Not 2 of each, or 2 of the other, 1 crit and one fumble possible per turn
>prevents melee oriented characters with lots of attacks from fumbling too often

>Casters make concentration checks on every spell cast, besides those that need an attack roll anyways.
>both the skill and spells function the same except for when a nat 1 is rolled, leading to the mishaps.
>basically, its a check to see if you sneezed or not, or some other minor happening that would mess with a spell

Hopefully, those two rules make combat a bit more interesting, and help the disparity in flubs between the two sides.

Here's the part thats a bit tricky. Most of the roll table's i've seen for magical flubs tend to include benefits of some sort, most of which are huge, potentially even gamebreaking. I'd prefer my players not get such a boost on a failure, obviously. But at the same time i don't want them to obliterate themselves for casting a cantrip.

So to summarize, i'm looking for a mishap table that won't destroy them, and won't benefit them as they are failing. If anyone knows of one that fits the description, that'd be great. Barring that, we could create one.
>>
there shouldn't even be fumbles
you don't auto-fail skill checks on a 1
why are you taking critical hits away from melee characters, it's bad enough so many monsters are already immune
casters already make concentration checks every spell if you're doing your damn job and threatening them, the DCs are so low as to be trivial

do mishap tables ever add anything?
what are you trying to accomplish
>>
Of course i'm not completely bereft of idea's on the matter. We could make a D10 table for each level of spell from 1-9, with each level getting increasingly devastating. The more powerful the spell, the larger the drawback to failing.
>>
File: Out fucking skilled.png (124KB, 5000x2571px) Image search: [Google]
Out fucking skilled.png
124KB, 5000x2571px
>>49573750
The skill check on con is only to act as a pseudo attack roll. nothing more or less.

And i'm adding fumble's because if something can crit it can critically fail. There is always a chance of failure due to happenstance.

As well, it already takes a crit and confirmation to actually crit. The chances of critting already are pretty low. I could take the crit limit off, but it wouldn't affect a whole lot.

I suppose i should mention i'd also add it to my creatures.

Basically, i see mage fumbling as a way to keep magic in line with melee. A large part of the issue is that a lot of the time there's no reason at all not to use magic, where-as a melee character already has a hundred and one inherent risks to anything he does, from level 1 to 20.
>>
>>49573798
it's already there, and does nothing

why? if they would have hit with a 1, they shouldn't even be rolling

if chances of crit are 'pretty low' why are you taking them away

it won't keep them in line with melee, as you know, the ffects are far too far away
you're adding extra risks to the melee characters by giving them fumbles for no reason

also, buy lucky weapons, and check the MIC for gauntlets that give you a reroll
>>
>>49573798
>And i'm adding fumble's because if something can crit it can critically fail.
entire separate post to ask what the logic is to this line, at all
>>
>>49573828
I should point out, we already had the fumble system in place and no one has complained once.

And i already said i could take off the upper limit to crits anyways.

So what's actually happening is that i'm leaving the risk to melee as is and adding additional risk to casters.
>>
>>49573851
You get a crit right? You happen to hit a spot that deals shit loads of damage, or something along those lines. But on the same train of thought, your footing can slip, your eye's could start watering, you sneeze, any number of things can happen to make you fail.

Thus, if you can crit, you can also critically fail.
>>
Getting back on track though, my rules for critting weren't the purpose of this thread. They were a rough outline meant to give an overview to the actual problem.

And that is a magic mishap table that's less peaky than the one's i've seen on the internet thus far.
>>
your rules are retarded and you should not use them.

fumbles are never a good mechanic, they're not fun, nor funny. And limiting the number of crits the melee guys can get you are fucking them over for no reason

tl;dr you are too dumb to make new mechanics. Give up on life.
>>
>>49574165
You must be a barbarian, because you have all the reading comprehension of one.

I already admitted that limiting crits was retarded and said i'd amend that.

As for the rest, once again, my players have dealt with fumble from day one, and when it does happen half of the time they are laughing their asses off.

I'm sorry if you can't handle the idea that sometimes shit goes wrong without enemy interference, but for fucks sake who made you the fun police?
>>
>>49574261
I suppose i should also mention, this generally also only applies to attack rolls. Skill checks don't fail on a nat 1, with the exception of the amended con check in place of an attack roll.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.