[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time DM, getting ready to start creating my campaign in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: gaming_paper.jpg (42KB, 772x383px) Image search: [Google]
gaming_paper.jpg
42KB, 772x383px
First time DM, getting ready to start creating my campaign in 5e. My group is comprised of people who have no background in D&D or /tg/ at all outside of board games. Today, the group let me know that they're leaning away from board and minis and want to go for a theater of the mind type of game.

I'm not really sure how to do a good job doing this, but am definitely willing to give it a shot. Does /tg/ have any tips to running an enjoyable campaign like this?
>>
Watch Critical Role
>>
>>49572578
Some RPGs have a concept of "zones" that translates well into theater of the mind. The idea is that you mentally break down an environment into meaningful areas - rooms in a dungeon, a bridge and the land on either side of it, etc. These areas are connected to each other like a flowchart. Rather than tracking exact distances, a turn's worth of movement can get you as far as an adjacent zone. Multiple creatures can be in the same zone, and those creatures may or may not be adjacent to each other. Usually you just say that a zone can have one or more clusters of characters, all of whom are adjacent to each other and none of whom are adjacent to anyone in a different cluster. That way you can have environments with fun stuff in them without counting off squares or feet of movement.
>>
>>49572584
>watch a game that uses detailed terrain, maps, and minis
Kill yourself.

OP, the game has maps. You can grab high quality ones in /5eg/, print them out, and let the players see what you are talking about. Print out character art and things too. Show off some of the large art pieces in the books when you can.

Just because you are not playing with grids and battle maps doesn't mean that you shouldn't use any visual cues/maps. You just base what you are saying on the pictures. You will probably get questions about position, so always have an idea where everyone is in your version of events and stick to it.
>>
>>49572578
Maybe it would be helpful to think of localtions as "scenes", like in a movie. In a movie, one usually does not see the characters moving themselves from one scene to another -- its just assumed the journey was uneventful.

In other words, unless something interesting, dramatic, thoughprovoking or necessary happens, the area the players moves through is abstract.

For example, a city might consist of a scene the first time the characters come upon the town gate, where they must present themselves to the guards. Since its the first time they're there, it'll be tense -- maybe the guards wont let them in, or maybe they'll have to pay a toll.

But the next time, the players already know the town gate and what to expect, so less detail is required.

Similarly, one would not describe every street, every nook and cranny of the city. Just the places the PCs might linger or examine things.

In such a way of doing things, the adventure one prepares for the players does not consist of a literal map, but rather a set of connected "scenes" -- first, they come upon the old lady, then they decide either to listen to her or ignore her. Then they come across the field of corpses, which they... and then the scene with the baron arguing with her husband... and then the scene with...

I think you can do this to your players' satisfaction, OP.
>>
File: 2e DMG - Scene Keys.png (299KB, 336x495px) Image search: [Google]
2e DMG - Scene Keys.png
299KB, 336x495px
>>49572578
Relax and don't be afraid to start small. Don't list dry details or keep constant track of every single thing. Don't shy away from maps or visualization to reference, for yourself or players or both, even if it's just a small doodle on a napkin.

Perhaps acquaint yourself with some old action/adventure stories to give yourself ideas on ways to convey the environment as people move through it, or describe dynamic action in general.

Give extra consideration to how you'll describe things in writing it and preparing for it. Try to find concise, elegant ways to describe something while giving the right impression of what it is or how it relates to the characters. You should be able to relate things without it defaulting straight to exposition, because that can be boring or take too much time--you don't want scenes to progress with you simply reading prepared statements, and you don't want to give too much attention to any mundane thing.

What helped me the most with getting the hang of this sort of play, back in the day, was how 2e's DMG broke it down with 'keys'. A good practice in any case.
>>
>>49573116
This.
Instead of minis if you just have a token for each player which you put on the general area they're at in the map, it makes narrative combat a lot easier.
Means nobody forgets where they are.
Also, make a note of how many moves it should take to get from one area to another.
>>
you must lead the charge on roleplay. make sure to put npc's with interesting quirks. once you guys have your charecters made, PUT THAT FUCKIN BOOK DOWN AND DONT LOOK AT IT FOR THE REST OF THE GAME. take whatever rules you know off hand and run with it, with making sure players are always in the spot light and doing something cool. DONT RUN IT LIKE A FUCKING VIDEOGAME, D&D IS NOT ABOUT GETTING FROM POINT A TO POINT Z ITS ABOUT HAVING FUN AND PLAYING AROUND. this is my advice to a new group of role players. dont use anything fancy (figs grids supplement books yadda yadda) that shit comes much later. just focus on having fun. ONE LAST THING OP DONT YOU DARE AND I MEAN FUCKING NEVER ASK THE PLAYERS IF THAT ARE HAVING FUN IT MAKES YOU LOOK LESS CONFIDENT AND TAKES EVERYONE OUT OF THE MOOD. have fun nigger.
>>
>>49572578
I've run a 5e campaign without minis, it's possible. The only big issue is combat, but if you're specific in description, that's no problem. Have fun!
>>
>>49573061
Does this translate well into 5e?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.