[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Organizing Your Session Music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: Noble tutelage.jpg (80KB, 400x551px) Image search: [Google]
Noble tutelage.jpg
80KB, 400x551px
How do you guys order your playlists for your D&D sessions?

I know where to go to get the tracks that sound good, crib from the right vidya and get the atmospheric bustles from other sites, but it's a bit of a nightmare when playing the game to actually use 90% of what I've downloaded- especially if like me sometimes you get all the tracks off a playlist in a download to sift through later.

So how do you do it? Do special NPC's have their own themes? Do you prune based on any modern instruments used? Assign different places different tunes? What's the secret to a good, accessible soundscape?
>>
>>49570572
Listen to a lot of music and find what you like. I have a huge rpg music folder separated into scenery. That seems to be the easiest way for me to organize it. Seaside shack? Got it. Swampy witch hut? Bam. Under the city hideout of undead planning to take over the city? I got just the thing.
>>
I've got a series of playlists organized by tone. Sad, Calm, Battle, Dread, Happy, Cool, Weird, and Special are the main ones, with Special for songs I really like that don't really fit a tone.

While listening to my enormous collection of music on random, if I end up hearing a song I like or one that fits a tone well, I just add that to that playlist. I only have forty or so songs for each playlist, but honestly after years of trying them out I really only end up using around twenty or so songs because I know they work well with my group.

As far as character/place themes, I used to use a neat note-taking program that let me embed songs into my notes, so whenever I needed to pull up my notes for a place or character, I also had the song up and ready.

One thing I would end up doing is listening to music, imagining a scene, and then building the scene or character for the music. This actually wound up working quite well, and it's not a bad way to get inspiration for a game.
>>
>>49571119

You just have the one track for each bit of scenery, or a selection?
>>
http://tabletopaudio.com/

Anyone who plays actual music during a game is a faggot.
>>
>>49571361
You must not listen to much classical or otherwise background-appropriate music.
>>
File: 1452761613644.jpg (16KB, 180x192px) Image search: [Google]
1452761613644.jpg
16KB, 180x192px
>>49571296
Huge selection under generalized scenery categories. I was just saying that I can find music to fit the scene easily with how I have it.
I also have quite a few sound effect samples just in case I need to give things any extra pizzazz.
>>
File: 1164004655101.jpg (113KB, 477x600px) Image search: [Google]
1164004655101.jpg
113KB, 477x600px
I have a BlueSound (basically Canadian equivalent of SONOS) system, so I just control everything with my phone connected to the room's sound system.

To organize I just copy and paste songs into their own campaign music folder, and use the program Mp3Tag to uniformitize the metadata and organize them (first third of the "album" is background music, second third is battle music, third third is background sound effects like townscapes and whatnot).

I have a pretty good playlist at this point as I listen to a lot of classical, renaissance, folk, world, etc. music, not to mention easy choices like the Elder Scrolls soundtracks.
>>
>>49571659

I've done that, but have trouble between deciding on which theme to use.

Maybe I should compartmentalize it further.
>>
File: image.jpg (214KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214KB, 1680x1050px
>tfw your players don't realize you use various carefully curated pieces to condition them for the game

Feels good man
>>
I need help with my Delta Green soundtrack. Thus far I've got tracks from Swans, Hotline Miami, UTOPIA, It Follows, Heroin in Tahiti and The Witch.

What else would you rec?
>>
>>49570572
>What's the secret to a good, accessible soundscape?
There's no "secret", you just gotta listen to a fuckton of music in the genres that work for what you're going for.

I have hundreds of fantasy-appropriate albums and I've distilled maybe a couple dozen really game-appropriate songs out of them, songs that are interesting enough to give the game a good feeling, but not intrusive enough to distract.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsyAxM3SsUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJj3slUdHdI

Hmm... surprisingly little of my playlist is on YouTube.
>>
>>49572545

Yeah but how do you organize your music files?
>>
File: 1174987357087.jpg (138KB, 720x502px) Image search: [Google]
1174987357087.jpg
138KB, 720x502px
>>49572680
I'm >>49571695

Literally copy the mp3s into the game soundtrack folder, and then uniformitize and order them with Mp3Tag, which is free and easy to use.

That way you have a ready-made folder to slap onto thumb drives, drag into music programs, or in my case shows up as a coherent album on my BlueSound system.

If there are any specific issues you're having I can try and help, I sperg out over music programs and stuff.
>>
>>49570572
I usually pick 2 or 3 tracks per location (maybe add more if the party is staying there for a while).
>>
>>49572325
Charles?
>>
>>49573145

GET OUT OF MY HEAD
>>
Roll20 added folders which I used to organize music into various categories based on the mood and/or usage. Actual styles of music follow the theme of the campaign. For example the next campaign I was working on was heavily inspired by art deco and noir and so the music was mostly jazz, slow for ambience and fast for combat. Also had a folder for songs with lyrics in case I needed to introduce the typical not-so-innocent singstress who was in over her head NPC. (Generally I don't use songs with lyrics unless the singing is actually happening in-game. Non-ambient music is otherwise distracting)

Too bad it's all moot now
>>
What kind of music would you use for something as weird as Planescape? I mean, how the hell do you associate a music theme to the Inner elemental Planes? Or with a weird city like Sigil?
>>
I made generic stage playlist

But my most memorable theme is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqdhkDCCzVs
I remember I used to have a really incredible archer fucking with the party at the start. They didn't actually see him until 5 sessions in, but everytime he was around, I played this music. It gives the Jaws/Predator feel I wanted to give them.

The cleric actually burned a whole forest just to sight him, so I guess I was doing my part right.
>>
>>49575580

Hmm, not sure. I think generally the planes have an arabic theme, don't they?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKzz2kOnceA
>>
File: HankDisgustedSigh.jpg (59KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
HankDisgustedSigh.jpg
59KB, 500x375px
>>49572325
>tfw your dm plays a bunch of "omg so epic XD" tracks to hype you up for the game but you wish he'd stop trying and just run
>>
>>49577391

LOL 5 STEPS FROM HELL AMARITE?
>>
>>49570572
I try to keep a consistent genre or sound for specific characters or groups, and then mix it up for calm ambience and action themes.

It depends on the group and session, but I think holding back and saving music for more important moments and locations is a good way to keep it fresh and enjoyable.
>>
File: intense banans.gif (780KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
intense banans.gif
780KB, 256x256px
>>49577391
>>49578284
Oh God it hurts

>>49570572
Sometimes I sort by faction and locale instead of by mood and atmosphere. In many cases, I like to isolate an artist to a given faction, region, or character to help create a direct musical association (theme).
Organizing my music by region is something with which I'm still experimenting; it's difficult when there's atmosphere overlap between regions.
>>
>>49570572
I tend to put together a shorter playlist of maybe 6-12 tracks tailored to the feel I want for a particular scene. Sometimes I'll put them in a particular order, sometimes it's just shuffled.

Takes a bit of work to prep those playlists, but I really like what it adds to the game.

What I really ought to do is go through my huge music library and sort things ahead of time by general tone, that way I can go to those particular big playlists to easily narrow down my search.
>>
>>49579117
I just have three sections:
Background
Battle
Soundscapes

The background section has about 15 songs that adequately cover about everything, and 15 songs doesn't need organization as you can easily just remember which song is appropriate for what. Past 15 songs I'd bet dimes to dollars you're starting to compromise on quality and appropriateness, which is pointless.
>>
>>49575580
I don't know about Sigil, but for elemental planes you could go with stuff that fits the general thematic associations of the elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9za4sy75M
>>
A-am I the only one here who has plugged a Nintendo DS into a guitar amp and played FF6 bgm....?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.