[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - The Work of an Enemy 「

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: 57.jpg (46KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46KB, 312x445px
Sorry for the long delay between editions, boys and girls! I've been a bit too busy, but I have some time again today. Hope everyone had a lovely time at the prerelease!
>>
I control a Smuggler's Copter and a March of the Machines. what is the P/T of the Copter? what would it be if I activated the crew ability?
>>
>>49563479
Three questions from prerelease:
If someone casts die young on a creature and I bounce the creature with select for inspection, do they still get energy?
Can I create two copies of an artifact creature with Saheeli' artistry or whatever it's called?
The legendary green token maker that can make X/X tokens, do they cpunt themselves for their power and toughness?
>>
>>49563717
they won't get energy.
you can create two copies of an artifact creature.
they don't count themselves
>>
>>49563694
The Copter is a 2/2, because it's not NORMALLY a creature, so March animates it and makes it a 2/2.

I feel like the Crewing part might be fucky, so I'm gonna check on that for you.

>>49563717
1) They would not. The only target of their spell is illegal as it goes to resolve, so the entire spell is countered; none of its effects happen.

2) Sure. Since it says "target" two times, you can select the same target both times (as long as it's LEGAL for both those clauses, which an Artifact Creature is)

3) They do not. The value of that token's P/T is defined as the ability resolves, immediately before the creature exists.
>>
>>49563694
>>49563780
Okay, double check done.

Vehicles' P/T is not 'set' in 7b by getting crewed, it's just a fucky thing inherent to them that only turns on when they're creatures (kinda like the Gods). Vehicle + March of the Machines = they always have P/T equal to their CMC, even when crewed, so don't waste your dudes crewing them.
>>
>>49563807
But wouldn't March of the Machines ability stop applying if some other effect turns the copter into a creature?
>>
>>49563852
Alright, there was more discussion, and it looks like the answer I gave was incorrect! Mea culpa.

Crewing the vehicle will turn March off, because it creates a dependency. Applying the Crew effect first makes March not work (since it's no longer a noncreature artifact), so we must apply it first regardless of timestamps. That means March's P/T setting ability doesn't exist in layer 7b, so the creature just has the printed P/T.
>>
I can never remember the new green legendary's name so I just call her Grandma.
So, Grandma makes Servo tokens and Construct tokens. All her Servo tokens have the same name as Servo tokens produced from other sources, right? And same for Constructs?
>>
If i cast fireball with x equal to 6 with metallurgic summonings on the field how big is the construct i create? Same question for an awakened part the waterveil
>>
>>49564093
Correct. Same as the Beast tokens made by Beast Within have the same name as ones made by Garruk Wildspeaker, etc. Unless the effect creating a token says that it has a specific name, the name is the same as whatever creature type it ought to have. Anything that makes a Servo Token makes an Artifact Creature - Servo named Servo.

>>49564164
The CMC of your Fireball is 7, so a 7/7. X is 0 everywhere BUT the stack, and on the stack X is equal to whatever you said it's equal to.

For Part, the CMC is always 6. CMC is the sum total of the symbols in the top right of a card, and X spells are the ONLY time that's ever a mutable value. Whether you're paying 0, 4UU, 2**, 6UUU, WUBRG, or two goats and a hogshead of grain to cast it, the CMC of Part the waterveil is always 6.
>>
We are playing a game of usurper/kingdoms in commander. I am the traitor and I kill the king with commander damage but the guard has platinum angel on the field that no one can deal with. What happens?
>>
>>49564991
Since Kingdoms isn't an official variant, take this with a grain of salt.

The way I'd SUGGEST handling it is basically treating it as if the Guard had 0 or less life. They stay alive, and the second their Angel is gone, they lose and you win.
>>
How's it going gA? Got a question from the EDH thread I'm gonna redirect to you.
>>49564964
>>
>>49565081
>>49564964
Fireheart sets up a duration of "For long as that land has a blaze counter on it", and what it really means by 'land' is 'object'. As long as the thing that Fireheart targeted has that Blaze counter on it, it has that burn trigger, even if it's not a land.
>>
Can I crew a vehicle at the beginning of the combat phase?

Example: I have Toolcraft Exemplar and Skysovereign. I enter combat. Toolcraft Exemplar gets an attack bonus and becomes 3 power. Can he crew at this point? Can I declare an attack with the Skysovereign in this turn?
>>
>>49565111
Thanks dude, that's what I was thinking but the land part was what was throwing me off.
>>
>>49565121
Sure. Crew is a regular activated ability; since it doesn't have any kind of timing restrictions baked into it like Equip does, you can activate it any time you have priority. So you can wait until your Exemplar triggers at the Beginning of Combat Step, then use it to crew your Skysovereign so it's a creature by the time you're declaring attacks.
>>
File: image.png (136KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
136KB, 223x311px
So would the hideaway lands for red and white work in nearly any red or white deck? The white one can activate if you attacked with 3+ creatures.
>>
>>49565174
Yeah.

I don't know why the blue and black ones are so restrictive. These lands are great.
>>
can i play a flashback ancient grudge to kill a chalice of the void on 2?
>>
>>49565249
It is legal to flashback an Ancient Grudge, targeting a Chalice on 2.

Said Chalice will counter your Grudge unless your opponent misses their trigger. It doesn't matter what you're paying to cast the spell, it has a CMC of 2.
>>
File: 1475121723738.jpg (16KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
1475121723738.jpg
16KB, 190x265px
Hi, I'm working on brewing a Rashmi EDH deck and have a couple of questions. I'm new and still trying to understand triggers and the stack.

I have a question though, if I have Rashmi on the field and cast a card like Elvish Harbinger that tutors for an elf and puts it on the top of deck as an ETB, if its my first spell this turn does Rashmi's effect go first or can I resolve the Harbinger's effect first, then flip the top with Rashmi?

A similar question about Momir Vig, since he has two different triggers on cast. If I cast a UG creature Rashmi and Momo's triggers go off at the same time, so I can chose how they resolve? Can I stack and resolve them in such a way that I can do Momo's Green trigger, searching for a creature to top deck, then use Rashmi's ability to play the creature, since I know what it is now that I've tutored a lower CMC creature to the top, THEN have Momo's blue trigger resolve for a possible draw after I cast the creature on top?

I'm still learning the stack right now and these answers would help me from making stupid decisions with regards to deck building.
>>
>>49565352
Harbinger doesn't do anything until it enters the battlefield, while Rashmi triggers on CASTING the spell. Rashmi will flip over the top card, and let you cast it if appropriate; after that spell resolves (if you cast it- otherwise this just happens after Rashmi's trigger puts the card in your hand), THEN your Harbinger resolves, and triggers to tutor for a card.

Momir Vig, as you pointed out, has two triggers on casting. Since all these triggers are yours, you can put them on the stack as you like- you could have Momir's 'green' trigger search for a creature to put on top of your deck, then Rashmi cast it, then have Momir's other trigger potentially draw you a card.
>>
When exactly is a new set considered fully legal in formats? Pre-release or full release date?
>>
>>49565424
Ok thank you! That just helps me trim ALOT of fat out of the deck!
>>
>>49565444
A set is 'legal' for Commander as of the prerelease.

A set is LEGAL (no air quotes!) for sanctioned formats on release date. As of this moment, Standard consists of Dragons of Tarkir, Magic Origins, Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, Shadows Over Innistrad, and Eldritch Moon.

Tomorrow, Dragons and Origins rotate, and Kaladesh becomes Standard legal.
>>
I have a Karn, Silver Golem with a Sword of Feast and Famine equipped to it, If I animate the sword using Karn's ability, does the sword fall off of Karn, or does it stay attached?
>>
>>49565727
It falls off. Creatures can't be attached to things, so if something that IS attached to a thing becomes a creature, it falls off as a State Based Action.
>>
If my opponent uses aetherworks marvel to cast new emrakul at my end step do they get to take their turn and then mindslaver my rurn after that. I feel like thats how it works i just don't want that to be true
>>
>>49567602
yes
>>
>>49565209
Shelldock isle is great in limited
>>
>>49567602
Yes. Emrakul takes control of your next turn, and then creates an extra one after that for you. It doesn't take control of your current turn if cast DURING your turn.
>>
File: dulcet.png (137KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
dulcet.png
137KB, 223x311px
Player A uses Dulcet Sirens' ability on Player B's creature, currently being Goaded by Player C. What happens?
Would anything change if it were Siren'd first, then Goaded?
And what if Player B's creature were Ruhan, would it make any difference?
>>
>>49572125
>goaded
what?
>>
File: goad.png (142KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
goad.png
142KB, 223x311px
>>49572198
>>
>>49572125
So, you have three requirements in place:

1) Must attack if able
2) Must attack someone other than Player C if able
3) Must attack Player C.

You have to fulfill the maximum number of requirements possible while violating no restrictions. There's no restrictions here, so we're just trying to max out on requirements.

If we attack Player A, we're fulfilling 1 and 2. If we attack Player C, we're fulfilling 1 and 3. Either way, the max is 2, so Player B is fulfilling the maximum number of requirements by attacking either player.

If it were a Ruhan, then Ruhan would add an extra of "pick a random opponent, must attack them", so one of the opponents would be 3 requirements and one would be 2, so you'd HAVE to pick the one Ruhan picked.
>>
>>49572601
Interesting, I would of guessed that he wouldn't have been able to attack at all.
>>
>>49572931
There ARE situations like that. For example, if you Goad something, and your mutual opponent has a Ghostly Prison, the goaded creature's controller isn't forced to pay to attack, even if they have the mana available. Since they're not forced to pay, they can't fulfill the requirement without violating a restriction, so they don't have to attack at all (they CAN if they want, but as soon as the elect to pay the 2 they have to follow the requirement of attacking the mutual opponent).

BEDTIME
>>
There's a question I wanted to ask, but I forgot it, so I am just gonna bump this thread to see if I can't remember it.
>>
So what do I say if I want to go to the beginning of combat step with me having priority without giving my opponent any information.
>>
How long are creatures considered attackers?
>>
>>49576757
"Go to combat"
>>
>>49576757
With YOU having priority, you'll want to just clearly communicate it. Something like "Pass priority" in your Precombat Main Phase will technically work, because if your opponent passes back you'll move to combat. But if you want to avoid any confusion, just say "Go to combat, retaining priority", because the default tournament shortcut for "Combat?" or any similar suggestion is that you move to your Beginning of Combat step and pass priority to your opponent. So, be very clear about what you're trying to do.

>>49576764
Until end of combat. They 'start' being attackers when you declare them as such, and remain so through all of Declare Attackers, Declare Blockers, Combat Damage, and End of Combat Steps.
>>
>>49576789
That actually would do the OPPOSITE of what they want! "Go to Combat" is an accepted tournament shortcut that means "I propose we keep passing priority until you have priority in my Beginning of Combat Step". If he wants to move to that step while retaining priority, he can't use that shortcut unless he appends the clear explanation of him wanting to retain priority, or it'll just go to his opponent.
>>
My planeswalker is enchanted by Song of the Dryads.
My opponent casts "destroy all nonland permanents". What happens?
>>
>>49577485
All non-land permanents are destroyed
>>
>>49577525
You understand the question. Don't be a disingenuous little shit.
>>
>>49577591
Don't be a fucking idiot then. It's pretty easy to figure out even for beginners. Take all the permanents that are not lands and put them in the graveyard.
>>
>>49577625
THE QUESTION IS ABOUT SONG OF THE FUCKING DRYADS
IT'S NOT "WHAT DOES A WRATH DO"
>>
>>49577660
At the time of the resolution of the wrath what are the non land permanents?
>>
>>49577660
Ha ha, holy shit you're fucking thick ain't ya? I'm not gonna spoil it for the other anon, but holy shit do you really require this much hand holding in your daily life?
>>
>>49577684
If you know the goddamn answer just explain why the enchanted permanent does or does not die with Song. Stop shitting around the bush, if I knew the sodding answer I wouldn't sodding ask.
>>
>>49577709
You are a useless fucking pillock.
>>
>>49577749
No, I think I won't tell you untill you try doing some basic reading. Now answer my question; at the time of the resolution of the wrath using only the information you gave the thread what are the non-land permanents on the field? I'll give you one hint and one hint only: read song of the dryads again, specifically the last word of the rules text
>>
>>49577485
Your planeswalker is not destroyed because at the time of the destruction event, it is a land. The Aura is destroyed though. End result: Planeswalker lives, is no longer a Forest.

>>49577625
His question is basically whether the destruction event hits the Aura, and then the no-long-a-land Planeswalker. It's a perfectly cromulent question, and I'd appreciate you not being an asshole about it.

>>49577777
>>49577799
>>49577749
>>49577709
>>49577684
>>49577660
>>49577625
>>49577591
Girls, girls, you're both pretty!
>>
>>49578016
And I would appreciate if you wouldn't call me an asshole for pointing out that a wrath that destroys all non land permanents, destroys non land permanents. And no his question was not about if song was destroyed, it was if his colorless forest land was destroyed when his opponent cast a spell destroying all nonlands. It was not 'cromulent question" (by the way nice word choice) and merely someone wanting to be spoon-fed that his edh tech has a weakness when if he had bothered to completely read his card then the answer would have been apparent. So GA, for the first time in 3 years I have to say: go fuck yourself
>>
>>49577749
Song is destroyed and you keep your planeswalker now stop being a crybaby. People on 4chan are dicks get over it
>>
>>49578158
I've seen the question before. I doubt he's nearly as stupid as you think, and somehow thought that his very-clearly-a-land permanent was somehow going to be hit by a "destroy all nonlands" card.

When I've been asked this (or variants thereof) in the past, it's been similar to asking what happens if someone casts a Wrath of God with a Knight Exemplar and a bunch of other knights- is it just ONE destruction that only hits the Exemplar, or does it destroy over and over until nothing new gets hit, similar-ish to SBAs? It's a perfectly reasonable question for someone who doesn't understand how that works, and I'm sorry but you ARE being an asshole about it. Not everyone is on the same level of knowledge as you, so what might seem obvious to you isn't obvious to someone else. Insulting them for not understanding it is not the way to teach them.
>>
>>49578158
>this guy
I've got to defend my man gA. You're being a giant faggot. If you want to argue and make people feel bad for asking rules related questions, do it in whatever general you frequent. gA is nice enough to help out no matter how insipid the question, and as your mom probably told you, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

It's very clear that you're new here, and if you'd like to fit in, I suggest acting like a reasonable human being, instead of a resident of whatever containment board you come from.
>>
Stupid question. So, say I have a card that reduces the cost of my spells like mizzix.
Is the cmc considered the same or is it considered less? Like if an enemy has brisela on the field and I play a 3RU and only have to pay 1RU because I made it cost less would Brisela prevent me from playing this with her effect?
>>
>>49580143
The only time CMC ever changes is with X spells, and that's in the sense that X is 0 everywhere but the stack, and equal to whatever you said it is while on the stack.

If your spell has a mana cost of 3UR, it has a CMC of 5 in all zones and at all times. It doesn't matter if you're paying 3UR, 5UR, 1UR, WUBRG, or two expired Taco Bell coupons and a tapdance to cast it, it has a CMC of 5.
>>
>>49580187
>mfw when all these losses against void winower, brisela and Kozilek could have been prevented
I hate myself
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.