[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's currently 7:30pm in Sydney

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

So what's the /tg/ scene like in Australia?

Specifically Sydney (specifically north of the river >_>) , but I'm a giving and curious man, I'd like to hear about the rest, too.

I've played videofriends all my life and have plenty of people to play those with, but I've got few people to play boardgames with, and they have limited time to do it, and with some friends they're really just being polite.

And you can forget about RPGs. I've squeezed out about 10 hours of pnp games out in my life (save playing Heroquest as a kid with my dad) with some videogamer friends but they weren't super into it and I don't want to play RPGs online - I wanna be there and in the moment, among other things

I know literally no one that's played RPGs or modern boardgames in my day-to-day life if I haven't been the one to introduce them to it.

I'm sick of reading stuff like /tg/ everyday for no reason, or watching SU&SD for games I can't justify buying

So I'm at the point where I'll have eat my anxiety and go try my luck with random pugs in the wild but gaming stores are already rare enough, let alone having to roll the dice (figuratively) trying to find a bunch of randoms you get on with (and who aren't That Guys).

Anyone have any success in the wild playing games with random Aussie grognards?

Anyone know any cool places with games around the city?

Anyone just want to talk about /tg/ in our crusty dypostia?
>>
>>49560467
>So what's the /tg/ scene like in Australia?
Shit
>>
>>49560544
Perth has a gaming guild that rents out a community center every Saturday from twelve to twelve, has around 4-6 groups in the afternoon and 2-3 in the evening. Plus a couple of gaming stores scattered around the greater metropolitan area and several wargaming clubs.

There meetup based groups and the like.
>>
>>49560467
I've lived in every state:
>Gaming scene is weak in Western Australia. Restricted largely to local groups and small gaming clubs. There are a couple of corporate gaming stores, maybe two Games Workshops, and one really good store based in the basement of an old bank.
>Same deal in Northern Territory, but with fewer gaming clubs. One GW, one Good Games.
>Adelaide pretty solid. The usual spread of GW's and Good Games, but there are a lot of little independent stores everywhere. They're viciously competitive though - don't let them know you go to the corporate stores if you do.
>Queensland: Cairns resembles Darwin but with less infrastructure, Brisbane pretty good.
>Sydney: I was so busy in Sydney that I never got out to game. Seemed like there were a decent number of stores about.
>Gaming scene is on-fucking-fire in Canberra. Politicians kids are some cashed up fuckers. Sore losers though. Jolt Games is a great venue.
>Melbourne: Spoiled for choice. All the corporate stores you could want, dozens of independents, massive 'hang-out' community, Facebook groups abound, gaming clubs in every suburb. This is the traditional gaming mecca of Australia
>Hobart: Surprisingly good. Four stores with dozens of active players, mostly within walking distance of each other. I guess they don't have anything else to do with their 7 hour winter days and constant rain.
>Norfolk Island: I asked a guy if he knew any local miniature gamers and he directed me to a senior citizens centre where they were gluing model airplanes together. Great bunch of dudes. 10/10. Would glue airplanes and talk about the Korean War with again.
>>
>>49560598
*There are also several
>>
>>49560467
I'd suggest sucking a couple dicks and going to Sydney Gaymers meets, they're all pretty thirsty but you can easily spot the trash people among them and filter to the cool guys. They play a lot of boardgames and there's a handful of RPG groups among them, although if you're triggered by people being triggered don't bother because it's a real mess in there.

In terms of stores, Games Paradise on Pitt St is apparently pretty good for board games, but I haven't gone in there personally.

But >>49560544 is right. For the most part the places are populated with nothing but competitive MTG players, the people who aren't scum keep to themselves. If you want to make it part of your lifestyle consider moving to Melbourne. I'd say to avoid Goodgames like the plague, too, unless someone you know who isn't interested in attending the MTG Pro Tour recommends the specific store; most times I've gone to a Goodgames store to see if I could acquire a board game or RPG book they haven't had it in stock, and I'm not exactly looking for shit like Shadowrun 2e books or Kingdom Death. We're talking basic-bitch games like the D&D 5e PHB and Catan (which, to this day, I still do not own).

Hell, if I were still in the area I'd invite you round, anon. I had enough people to play with but that's no reason not to meet more. Especially if your first choice of the night isn't a eurogame. Fuck me, I'm sick of eurogames.
>>
Any central coast fags here? closest game store to me is Gosford, and thats about 40mins away
>>
>>49560600
>Norfolk Island: I asked a guy if he knew any local miniature gamers and he directed me to a senior citizens centre where they were gluing model airplanes together. Great bunch of dudes. 10/10. Would glue airplanes and talk about the Korean War with again.
This actually sounds like an excellent story.

>arrive at place expecting to play 40k
>there's a bunch of old men sitting around in rumpled army uniforms painting model planes
>"Oh-... U-uh, sorry guys, I must have the wrong..."
>"Are you the young-un Bazza told us about? The miniature gamer?"
>"Y-yes..."
>"Well pull up a chair soldier. That Spitfire won't decal itself. Now as I was saying, it was '51 and we were night bombing over Kapyong..."
>>
File: 1460049625655.jpg (105KB, 339x672px) Image search: [Google]
1460049625655.jpg
105KB, 339x672px
>>49560600

What's your line of work that you've spent so much time in all the states, with enough downtime to consider 'you know, I think I will check out the local Veterans Model Plane group'

Neat story though, dgmw

>>49560683

lol I love the specificity of this. Maybe I'll get thirsty enough for a gaming group that I'll start sucking dick (or just acquiesce to have dudes suck mine I guess), in the meantime though I'm just going to pass this on to my bi friend who's always complaining about having no one to talk about gay stuff with.

>>49560688

40mins from Gosford and still on the Central Coast? Doesn't that put you in Newcastle?
>>
>>49560467
Check out some of the uni groups if you don't mind 20ish year olds. You should find people for both board games and rpgs (bit confused as to whether or not you want the latter). Also check out sydcon which run on the October long weekend just coning up. Again, should have lots of both. If you want war games look up company of the dice which are on the south side of the river and the Cumberland association?? I think which are in the west. (where abouts north of the river mate, maybe you are nearby myself?)
>>
>>49560467
Hello from the capital Melbourne.

I've got a group of some 10 friends I know who're into /tg/ stuff with more that I could probably reach out to through those friends. There's also no shortage of shops that run /tg/ events, though Magic based stuff dominates those.
>>
>>49560683
>Games Paradise on Pitt St
They used to have a communiy pinboard where you'd occassionally catch rpg groups, talk to the staff about it, unless its the older lady with the british accent and sour look on her face.
Not sure if Naploeon's Military Bookshop/Tin Soldier at Martin Place is still in business but maybe check in.
>>
>implying people can actually afford to live in Sydney
>>
>>49561613
I'm usually down at the Games Lab playing games with randoms and friends alike, whenever I've got a free afternoon in the city.
>>
>>49560467
Brisbane has some okay gaming, I was there with family for a month and got plenty of time in
I'm from the UK though
>>
>>49562351
Tin soldier moved out west years ago
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.