/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advices for D&D please

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Introduction.jpg (825KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Introduction.jpg
825KB, 1200x800px
Guys my crew and I wanna start playing D&D but we know shit about it, we only know that its a role game in a medieval era, so well all of us love that kind of tales and shit, we all read the lord of the rings and the name of the wind.

I actaully read funny green texts about D&D here in /tg/ but I dont know were to find the miniatures, the charts and other stuff, I found one rule book surfing the web but no more else.
I think I must watch videos about it or something, but if you guys have something better, please let me know, some advices for begginers what do or not.
*This is my first post, so if it isnt right to post something like this just say it.
one last thing, im so sorry if my english gets hard to read sometimes, I'm from mexico and I'm not so familiar with the languaje
>>
You will need to get the Player's Handbook, the GM Guide, and the Monster Manual.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

You don't really NEED miniatures, you can just use graph paper and little toys that fit on the grid. Someone will need to run the game (play as the monsters and shop keepers and regular town people), he is called the Game Master or the Dungeon Master (DM or GM). Everybody else just plays as one character and describes what they want to do and the GM narrates what happens.
>>
We actually get asked this a lot.

To start, some people will want to make sure you understand that there are more tabletop roleplaying games besides D&D. With that out of the way, the best way to begin is with D&D 5th Edition.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Those links are for an introduction to the basic rules to give you a sense of the game, and for the rest you can stop by the 5e general thread to download all the books in full.

The easiest way to start actually playing is with the D&D 5e starter set. It costs about $20, and includes a physcial copy of the basic rules, character sheets, an adventure designed for new players, and even a set of dice. You will, however, want to buy more than one set, and the best deal on dice is one of the $20 bag of dice off of Amazon (with the Wizkids and Chessex brands being recommended for bulk, cheap dice).

All in all, you don't need miniatures if you're just starting, and can use anything from cardboard tokens to glass beads. For the most part, you can actually play 5e entirely without miniatures.
>>
A note on dice: it feels better to roll dice in person, but if you really can't afford dice or can't get them, you can roll online or something: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm
>>
>>49555231
>>49555242
wow, thank you for those links.
also I feel like I have a breath because I think the figures are totally necesary, (you know for the idea the shows make and things like that)

I'm an illustrator and I start drawing the characters of my crew before start, we find a character sheet before and we start filling it with no idea on what use for reference lol.
I think y won't need anymore than that mega link, its litterally everything on it, so if you want to make this thread in a character commision sketch thread I have a few hours, so thank you again and let me know if you wanna see something of my art C:
>>
>>49555273
Also we actually have a bunch of 20's because we play Magic the Gathering so, we need it alredy
>>
An introduction to the concept:

http://unpossiblejourneys.com/
>>
File: ll001.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
ll001.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Here you go.

Thank me later.
>>
>>49555115
The most important piece of advice about playing D&D is not to play D&D.
Not that all editions are awful, but those that are not are awful for beginners anyway.
>>
>>49555391
Don't use spindowns! They roll way lower than non spindown d20s, they're also easier to manipulate the throw with backspin, and since the high numbers are grouoed, you'll roll higher or lower by a large margin.
>>
>>49555115
I suggest that you just jump in and figure it out as you go, providing you know the very basics. Children play D&D, more or less by the rules.
Buy/obtain a module adventure for levels 1-3; this shows you how game writers make a game and it's fun to play through them; copy what they do when you prepare your own games.

Baseline rules are: everyone deserves fun at my table, don't say no but say "yes, but...", don't be a dick, don't hog the spotlight, don't bog the game down, have fun with your friends, don't argue over stupid shit, sacrifice a goat and orgy at end of session.

I'd warmly suggest watching gameplay vids of Critical Roll or some other (there's a Vin Diesel and other stars playing 4e on youtube somewhere). You won't learn much, but it's something.
Join a roll20 game, even as an observer if you're quite interested. Find an IRL/Roll20 DM to teach you the ropes. First hand experience is nice (but if you can't get that, you'll manage with youtube vids and books).

As you get more into it, you'll maybe branch out to more systems (if you're the DM). Even if you don't branch out you're still ok. Other systems have interesting takes on mechanics or lore, and can be salvaged to improve your game. If you're the DM, most DM guides of most systems are practically universal, telling you how to run the game, organize a session and read your players.

>>49555242
Wizards literally put their PHB online, wow, and it's well done. Didn't expect that, great job. And when you read it all and scroll down, there's a big "order books" button. Not being sarcastic, that's some top-tier web development.

>>49558292
Read this even if you won't play it, it's 150 pages and will help you in the long run.
>>
>>49555391
They are fine to use, especially since you're just beginning.

However, the MtG 20s really rustle my jimmies.
They are just wrong to me; wrong size, weight, number distribution.
Is it just me?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.