[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post-Napoleonic Nation invades low-fantasy Realm(s)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: YeomanryCharge1930.jpg (239KB, 750x355px) Image search: [Google]
YeomanryCharge1930.jpg
239KB, 750x355px
I've played with this concept before but I want to fully generate a World based off this premise.

How could I realistically generate a low-fantasy World with the ability to stand a remote chance? Perhaps not directly militarily but with a far greater ratio of already equipped and mobilized armies.

What I've got so far is that a Post-Napoleonic pre-WW1 Serbia (not in theme but in industrial background) is approaching the European Colonial mind-set far later than in our World, they're a land-locked nation, so they have no naval-technology; thus forcing their pioneers to be trappers or company expeditions and etc..

However after decades of expanding their borders with sparse hill-forts of little over 1000 people per region (like early USA). They encounter a nation from this low-fantasy cluster, I'm not talking about native-American tier without writing or any significant tech. I'm thinking of early middle ages, mixed with pre-Meji Restoration Japan (Tokugawan/Shogunate Japan). In my mind this rationalizes a massive standing army (of each individual nation) relative to not-Serbia.

With the aforementioned massively underpopulated but claimed borderlands around not-Serbia this also rationalized vast campaigns and massive opportunity for pitched-battles. Where the fantasy armies may have the initial upper-hand at large casualties or visa-versa with a dominant power being utterly crushed, worrying the fantasy-realms at large.

Any thoughts anons?
>>
>>49552869
bump
>>
>>49552869
Guerilla fighters.
Take inspiration from the swedish Snapphane rebels that held most of the southern swedish army at bay using crossbows, traps and local knowledge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapphane
>>
File: 1470337691197-3.jpg (69KB, 564x884px) Image search: [Google]
1470337691197-3.jpg
69KB, 564x884px
>>49553313
Giving it a quick over-view before properly studying it..

In effect these Danish rebels were from a territory occupied by the Swedes?

I could definitely work with that, would also bog-down the not-Serbian advance.

However, that would assume not-Serbian wouldn't just exterminate entire regions as a reprisal, which was common until modern day..

Though from that train of thought, I could imagine a situation where they chose to make client Kingdoms rather than out-right annex them due to the distances involved.. Thus serving as a base..

Thats anon you've got the gears moving now.
>>
>>49553392
*thanks
>>
>>49553392
There were a mix of pro-danish local rebels, highwaymen with an axe to grind with swedish taxgatherers and danish infiltrators sent over to train the rebels.
>>
File: 81e78d_5819520.jpg (148KB, 1024x1486px) Image search: [Google]
81e78d_5819520.jpg
148KB, 1024x1486px
>>49553435
Swedish... tax gatherers?

So there were Swedish traitors helping fund and train rebels?

Is this because of factional politics? Or? (thanks for helping me out anon)
>>
>>49553408
Scania, the area in question, used to be danish but was conquered by the swedes (and is still swedish). If i recall my history lessons correctly the swedish tax gatherers squeezed the region pretty hard as punishment for having helped the danes in the previous war. This, of course, prompted a lot of farmers to fall in with the snapphane rebels as their options were to pay up with everything they owned or serve time for withholding taxes from the king.
>>
>>49553806 was meant for >>49553491

The highwaymen usually joined up to make it easier bushwack the tax gatherers and grab some loot. The stolen loot was often shared between the highwaymen and the rebels depending on which group supplied the most men and which group took the most severe casualties.
>>
File: Character_fb1a44_5837154.jpg (44KB, 659x800px) Image search: [Google]
Character_fb1a44_5837154.jpg
44KB, 659x800px
>>49553806
>>49553875
Ah I was confused with your earlier grammar.
I read it in a way that made it look like the Swedish Taxers were themselves part of the rebellion, but that clears it up thanks.
>>
>>49553893
Yeah i realized my grammar was off after i posted it. I blame not sleeping for 40-ish hours. Irregular insomna is a bitch.
>>
>>49553491
There weren't Swedish traitors, all the people there were originally Danish before the Swedes came in. The area didn't even originally border the Swede-held lands, but the lands of the Geats, before the Swedes conquered them.
>>
>>49552869
How set are you on this landlockedness, anon?
The way I see it, the best way to give your low fantasy nations a fighting chance is to make it very laborious -by way of a very large distance- for notSerbia to bring its superior tech and etc to bear. I imagine it ending up as notSerbia's equivalent of the Conquistadors absolutely dominating any engagement that's on their terms, but those engagements seldom come around. In contrast, the fantasy guys are very guerilla or steppe nomad-esque, who almost always have better knowledge of terrain and the enemy's numbers and maybe have some unique way of not letting notSerbia have their way with them.
>>
>>49552869
This is exactly the premise of the following novel: Hell's Gate by David Weber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27s_Gate_(novel)

You should check it out as it explores quite a few of the situations that would occur in the clash of the two civilizations.
I read it a while ago and enjoyed it a lot, dunno if any sequels were written. Pretty funny to imagine dragons going toe to toe with 152mm howitzers
>>
It isn't impossible for low-tech nations to beat higher tech ones pre-rapid fire weaponry. Especially if they have some means of nullifying or reducing the impact of artillery on their forces. Once a determined and trained force gets into melee with your generic band of musketeers the musketeers will break, especially if the other side has any sort of armor.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.