[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 34

File: cleric.jpg (205KB, 640x941px) Image search: [Google]
cleric.jpg
205KB, 640x941px
Last dungeon >> 49535264
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w
>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

How do we fix clerics, they're so fucking boring.
>>
Has anyone played Adventure in Middle Earth
>>
>>49548690
Try plaing a different build, maybe arcane cleric or war cleric.

Being a Healing Cleric sucks (At least for me, is so boring), try using your spells or actions to prevent damage, instead of healing it.

Prevent damage:
- Killing a really dangerous opponent
- Moving from harm a friend
- Protection spells
- Debuff Spells on enemies
- Staggering an enemie
- Buffing Friend for THP, AC, AB, AD, etc.

Helping the encounter end faster.

For roleplaying, try to look diferent kinds of clerics, some that come to mind:

- Thoros of Myr, (Red Priest) of Games of Thrones
- Warrior Priest of Sigmar, from Warhammer
- Couple of Clerics that appear in Elminister book (I remember them for being treasure hunters)

I know they are way more and better examples, but I still haven't finish my coffee, and probably will need more.
>>
>>49548778
Nope, but I will like to try it, seems really easy to adapt into the "new" rules, the problem here will be de quality of the DM (is LOTR).
>>
>>49548690
>How do we fix clerics
We remove Bards and Druids from the game.
>>
>>49548690
Why is he holding an Air Freshener?
>>
>>49548877
because the dwarf fighter doesn't believe in baths
>>
>>49548778

I like several large chunks of it, but we already own The One Ring for tolkien play. I'm tempted to rip bits from it, figure out a Hedge Magic system (maybe modified wild magic + cantrips?), add in firearms, and use it to run a game in a sort of Warhammer meets Westeros setting.
>>
>>49548833
See, I've played three different clerics so far, and the least heal-bot I found was.. The life cleric.

Having that many boosts to your healing spells meant you didn't have to cast them as much. I was dropping bonus action healing words for 1d4+6 damage comfortably while healing a few HP myself, and keeping my higher level spells for myself. I rarely had to use an action out of my turn to play the heal-bot and could keep up smashing and sacred-flame casting with the occasional use of my Channel Divinity to heal everyone up a little bit.
>>
/tg/, help my balance a Poison-varient SCAG melee cantrip. A few players in my group have pointed out they love GFB and BB, but only having them two sucks, they would love some more variety.

Over two groups I've got a few players who are interested in a poison-variant one but I have no idea how to balance it. Ideally it would be stronger than the others but require a hit, then a con-save to resist the poison damage. But the common resistance and immunity to poison inclines me to make it stronger, but I don't want to make it too powerful otherwise it will greatly outshine early.

If it was to the note of make a melee attack, if it hits, con save or take XdX+Mod poison damage, what kind of damage thresholds would be appropriate and effective?
>>
Posted this in the last thread right before it archived. Someone just linked this to me. I don't know much about map software. Is this good? Should I kickstart it or wait and see?
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hobbyte/dungeon-builder-an-isometric-map-maker-for-role-pl/description
>>
File: IMG_0346.jpg (138KB, 640x1773px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0346.jpg
138KB, 640x1773px
How can a mad bomber goblin jusify joining a group of adventurers? My last character died and Ive had this goblin character in mind for a while.
>>
Sup /5eg/

In my friend's campaign I'm playing as a Barbarian for the first time. Usually I play as casters, and it's been great to be a straight up brute. At 3rd level I chose Berzerker however I'm confused at when I can choose to frenzy.

>FRENZY - Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. lf you do so for the duration of your rage you can make a single melee weapon attack as a bonus action on each of your turns after this one. When your rage ends. you suffer one level of exhaustion (as described in appendix A).

Can I go into frenzy anytime during the duration of my rage, or do I choose to frenzy at the beginning of my rage. The GM and I thought it was the latter until I tried it in a long encounter to see how it how works.

>Rage at beginning of encounter, it becomes drawn out and we might die.

>Oh shit time to frenzy! Use bonus action to end rage.
> Next turn, use bonus action to rage with frenzy.
>Next turn start attacking with bonus action.

It took 3 turns to use frenzy in that situation. Is that how it's supposed to work? Because it seems like frenzy is supposed to be a kill-em-faster button, especially in emergency. It's why I think I misunderstood it, and the GM thinks if that's how frenzy is supposed to work, then we'll reinterpret to work as the former.

Clarification would be great, thanks.
>>
>>49549124
Go where the party is, have a blast.

Also, does the Catapult spell work well with Bottles of acid/alchemist fire?
>>
>>49549101
You should have it be for piercing and slashing weapons only, then it's d4 damage and the poisoned condition.
>>
>>49549132
It's meant to be "When you rage, pick a regular rage, or frenzied rage."

Also watch out, Berzerker is infamous for literally being so bad you can physically kill yourself at level 14 due to exhaustion by saying "I rage, I end my rage, I rage, I end my rage." Because after you frenzy 6 times, you insta-die.
>>
>>49549160
Poisoned condition is pretty brutal, plus how would it scale just d4 damage extra?
>>
>>49548690
What makes you think they are boring? To me they seem like the most versatile class in 5e, since they have 9 different archetypes. Plus backgrounds to also make them even more unique.

I will admit though I personally love the classic "do good healbot" cleric.
>>
>>49549172
A caster can kill himself a lot earlier by including himself in area spells. Not all classes have to be idiotproof.
>>
>>49549249
There is a difference mate.

Fireball doesn't automatically hit you with the 8d6 damage every time without fail.
>>
>>49549172
Thanks man.

The exhaustion death doesn't bother me because it means I can choose to die dramatically and move on to another character whenever I want lol.
>>
>>49549267
>Die dramatically
>After three uses you're pretty much pitiful.
>After four uses, you're a gurgling manbaby who can barely act.
>After five uses, you're literally helpless on the floor unable to move and do anything but wiggle your arms a little and scream.
Dramatic.
>>
>>49549101
With the weapon-attack-boosting cantrips, the level 1-4 version should be almost as weak as a normal melee weapon attack. Notice how GFB only does a little extra damage to a secondary target at that level and BB only does extra damage if the target moves.

This is just a personal preference, but a cantrip that requires two different rolls (an attack roll plus a saving throw) is a little too clunky and will slow down combat if any character is using it.

Here's how I'd scale it: at levels 1-4, it's just an action you can take that powers up a melee weapon your holding so that the next attack within the next minute or so does an extra die of poison damage. I does not include a weapon attack as part of the spell until level 5. At levels 9, 13, and 17, the poison damage increases by one die.
>>
File: TWISTERTIME.png (3MB, 3840x2880px) Image search: [Google]
TWISTERTIME.png
3MB, 3840x2880px
>>49549291
Pic related
>>
>>49549259
And frenzying doesn't kill you unless you intentionally frenzy six times in a row without resting. You can rage without frenzying, and if you've taken a couple levels of exhaustion that's what you will do. Unless an idiot. But if you're an idiot you probably shouldn't be trusted with a weapon in the first place.
>>
>>49549101
Just give something strong, if the Sorcerer wants to close to Melee for it, let him and reward him for it. Poison damage sucks and adding a con-save is a huge nerf to the spell so feel free to make it hit like a truck, the only risk is if Eldrich Knight/Arcane Tricksters pick it up, but hey they suck anyway and EK will be making it in place of Extra Attack.

On-Hit, Consave 1d6+Mod damage, then at 5th 11th and 17th add 2d6 to the damage.

Yes it will hit hard, dealing 7d6+Mod Poison-damage as a cantrip, but it requires two chances to fail and Poison-damage is worthless against most foes by level 5 anyway. Hell, might make Bladelocks worth using.
>>
>>49548919
>can you niche that any further anon?
>>
>>49540067
is that UA and SCAG and stuff "official"?
>>
>>49549531
UA is official beta test.
SCAG is a real source book.
>>
File: Planar Bestiary 5e.jpg (274KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
Planar Bestiary 5e.jpg
274KB, 612x792px
>>49548690
New thread, new bump.

Does anyone have a pdf of the Planar Bestiary on DM's Guild they can share?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469
>>
>>49548919
I gotta say, though, I know that Adventures in Middle-Earth is basically The One Ring adapted to 5E's framework, but I feel like, somehow, I can appreciate how well Adventures in Middle-Earth captures the spirit of Tolkien's works a bit more since its in a system I'm more familiar with.
>>
>>49549642
I want to buy it, blur all the texts and stat-blocks. Draw googly eyes all over it, and then upload it just for you.
>>
>>49549681
That'd be a nice start.
>>
>>49549666
It has nothing to do with you appreciating it more and everything to do with you not being comfortable with learning a new systems or not wanting to put that much effort into what amounts to idle entertainment.

Not saying that's a bad thing or anything, by the way; I understand not wanting to learn a new system if you'll think there's no payoff in the entertainment area.
>>
>>49549132

Jesus christ.

You can go into a frenzy.... WHEN YOU RAGE. That's when you RAGE, not while you are raging.

>>49549172
>It's meant to be "When you rage, pick a regular rage, or frenzied rage."

^ This

>>49549118

> should I participate in a gibs-me-dat internet scam where at any time the hipsters in charge can decide they are feeling too angsty to finish the project and run off with my money and spend it on 7 dollar coffee and beanie hats

What do you fucking think?
>>
>>49549642

> Using stuff from ((((DM's Guild)))))

Remember when you could actually homebrew stuff without giving Wizards a ton of shekels? Those were nice days. None of it was official but who cares? The monsters and fluff you could use without worrying whether it was broken because monsters were broken anyway.

Now you have to pay 9 bucks a month just to homebrew for "the world's greatest roleplaying game." They sure do think highly of themselves.....

>>49549666
>>49549782
>>49548778
>>49548844

Why don't you just play MERP or TOR instead of trying to fit a game system that doesn't mesh AT ALL with the setting. I swear to god, everything has to be a 5e hack or a Dungeon World hack these days. There are plenty of great games that fit the setting you want. It just means you won't be getting ripped off on overpriced books, and will probably have to use a PDF instead.
>>
File: 200px-BOEF.jpg (27KB, 200x266px) Image search: [Google]
200px-BOEF.jpg
27KB, 200x266px
>>49549923
>3rd party supplements are new
Please. Don't act surprised.
>>
>>49549982

Yeah but now you can't publish 3rd party shekels unless you join the DM's Guild (TM) for 9.99 shekels a month.

Raping the OGL just because it was associated with a lot of shitty 3.5 content, is fucking stupid. There will always be shitty content. Merals strategy is to throw the whole thing in the trash. Probably because he knows most of the 3rd party content creators make better shit than he does.
>>
>>49549923
>>49550017
>"shekels"
Go back to /pol/, dude.
>>
>>49549101
Viper strike
Conjuration cantrip
Instantaneous
Somatic component (a melee weapon attack)
Range 5ft

You summon a spectral viper that follows your attacks to aid it with its poisonous fangs.

As part of the action used to cast this spell you make a melee weapon attack that deals it's normal effect and on a hit you deal an additional *casting stat* poison damage.
This spell scales as your character levels.
At lvl 5 you deal an additional 1d10 poison damage (since it is commonly resisted like fire I'm going with the same number) , 2d10 at lvl 10, 3d10 at lvl 15 and 4d10 at lvl 20.
In addition if you land two consecutive strikes on a target it gains the poisoned status taking your *casting stat*mod poison damage per round and has to make a Con save each round after that against 8+your prof. modifier to end the condition.
>>
Give me a compelling reason why I shouldn't do the equivalent falling damage to a target that I drag at high speed into a wall.
>>
I have been pretty woefully unimpressed with shit from the DMs Guild. Like some of the recommend introductory adventures, I went and bought them, and they are pure trash.
>>
>>49549923

>unironically using the Jewish parenthetical things

We've got a virtposter on our hands.
>>
>>49550127

Because the DM didn't allow it.
>>
>>49549923
>Why don't you just play MERP or TOR instead of trying to fit a game system that doesn't mesh AT ALL with the setting.

I do, actually.
I spoke here >>49549782 and suggested if he want to do that then he should probably stop pretending it has anything to do with the system and everything to do with his own willingness to learn or try new things.

If he wants to do it that way, fine, but associating some sort of semi-magical "appreciation" simply because of a system and not admitting the real reasons is just silly and in some cases very unwise as it taints your thinking towards said system.
>>
>>49550062
You know Israel uses the sheqel?
>>
>>49550172
But anon, what if I told you I am the DM.

I'll teach you fucks to try funneling enemies into a one tile wide tunnel.
>>
>>49550137
Which ones?
>>
File: Castle.jpg (16KB, 437x283px) Image search: [Google]
Castle.jpg
16KB, 437x283px
>>49550127
>>49550234

If you are the DM making this a rule, all the power to ya. Though you may want to make solid and reasonable mechanics for this, cause otherwise your players will abuse this new rule or heavily complain about it?

Personally, I would say this would only work if you moved/dashed in a straight line at the wall with the person in tow a certain distance. Say maybe after 30 - 35 feet moved, every 10 feet past that adds 1D6 of damage, with the initial 30 - 35 feet doing 1D6.

Also, are you punishing players for using terain and map layout to their advantage? Or is there a bigger picture to this?
>>
Anyone know a decent canon source for Treant lore? Its surprisingly hard to find
>>
>>49550137
As someone who bought a few of the unofficial 5e books published under the 'wink-wink nudge-nudge' license, I can safely say it's at least not worse.
>>
>>49550127
Because the speed at which you can carry another person across a room is not anywhere near the speed they would reach after gravity accelerated them the same distance. You probably can't even run that fast when not carrying another person.
>>
File: Class_Example.jpg (86KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
Class_Example.jpg
86KB, 439x550px
>>49550275
There is so much junk out there. Adventures usually offer something salvageable. Class stuff and race stuff is a pile of crap with very little cream that rises to the top.

I started editing the file names so I can see at a glance if it's good or not.

That being said, there are a couple really good ones.
>>
>>49550313
There's the Tolkien one. D&D treants are just ents with the serial numbers filed off anyway, so it makes sense to do the same with their origin story: a nature deity is worried that plants cannot defend themselves against animals that can move, so she creates her own race of protectors to give the trees a fighting chance.
>>
>>49550351
Then share your wisdom. What DM'sG adventures are good?
>>
>>49550308
I just run a silly 5e campaign for my group when the other DMs don't have anything prepared.

Anything at least somewhat logically consistent is allowed, which leads to sessions ending up being 45 minute long discussions on ways to kill the CR1 goblin using the ground hardness hit point rules and a rope.
>>
>>49550351
>This level of pure, unadulterated autism.
>>
>>49550275
The Triboar trilogy ones come heavily recommended, but I found them a real let-down. I also looked at another recommended one The Witch of Underwillow, but again it was nothing inspired.
>>
>>49550368
It's harder to review adventures without running them and that takes time. The ones I did like are some of the ones that are already doing well. (Part of the reason I checked them out was because they did well).

Battle for Undercity
Wizard In a Bottle wasn't bad.
Quests of Doom are great (though those might be on drive thru.
Crystaline Caves of Black Leaf Forest Looked good.
Golden Bones of Lightwatch didn't look bad.
Triboar trilogy looked good.

>>49550416
Oh you got me. Here I am with a semi organized folder with simple notes to understand. If only I had someone to tell me how to spend my time at the office when I don't have clients. Can you make up a schedule for me?
>>
what do you think of eldritch knights, /5eg/?
>>
>>49550513
Lightning Lure, War Magic and Action Surge.
Meatshots for delivery.
>>
>>49550513
Conceptually interesting, mechanically underwhelming.
>>
>>49548833
Arcana Cleric is great fun.
>>
>>49550513
more like elBITCH knights
>>
Which classes would make a good inquisitor? I am talking about spanish/church inquisitor.
Rogue? Paladin? Cleric?
>>
>>49549681
Oh, god, do it...
>>
>>49550112
>In addition if you land two consecutive strikes on a target it gains the poisoned status taking your *casting stat*mod poison damage per round and has to make a Con save each round after that against 8+your prof. modifier to end the condition.

Drop this. The rest is fine.
>>
Is there a Rogue-specific character sheet like there are for some of the other classes?

Those look nice.
>>
>>49550127
At my table this is called using the wall as an improvised weapon. 1d4+STR
>>
Do you think making a villain a gestalt character is enough for them to be a considerable danger to a party of three in combat?
>>
>>49550668
Nah man, the improvised weapon is the guy and the wall is the target. Consult the structural durability table to determine how much damage your weapon takes before defeating the wall.
>>
>>49549642
Nobody does, and nobody would share it with you anyways.
>>
>>49550543
>Lightning Lure
but anon, that's a sorcerer spell
eldritch knights use wizard spells
>>
Any of you guys played Shackled City from 3.5? I'm curious what it's about, to see if its something I'd ever convert to 5e...
>>
>>49550724
>Sorcerer, Warlock and Wizard spells
I'd ask you what part you don't understand, but it's not hard to figure that out.
>>
>>49549230
Poisoned condition until the start of the caster's next turn. It takes 2 rolls to connect, an attack roll and a save. The damage is small cause the poisoned condition is why you take the cantrip.

This is a great debuff that needs to be applied every turn. And keeping it as "ends at the start of your turn" means you can't have the enemy constantly poisoned.

I could see this as an interesting grappling build but I hate those builds. If you just wanted another damaging cantrip then just make it d8 cause poison spray does the exact same thing, but if you want it to be unique then try that.
>>
I see the parallels to GFB, but to gave the mechanics match the flavor I might have this as a concentration, 1 min, bonus action to summon the little viper guy, he adds 1d10 poison to weapon damage. It scales like a normal cantrip (lvl 5 is 2d10 etc). Stacks with any poison applied to the weapon.
>>
>>49550655
Are they still not in the MEGA? It was brought up a few months back and I found the complete pack.
https://mega.nz/#!QJoynSJB!Xy9dedekAzdgxdhr6BtSK2esUsglhdWVchujdwEjqi8
This should be it.
>>
>>49550784
Here's the rogue one alone as well.
>>
>>49550784

The ones in here are, I believe. But there's not one for Rogue classes in there.
>>
>>49550753
is this some kind of le epicaroni rules don't matter post or am i missing something here
>>
>>49549132
You can choose to enter in a rage or a frenzy
When you are already in rage, you can enter in frenzy during your turn for free and use your bonus attack
>>
Anybody have guesses as to what firbolg stats will be like?
>>
>>49550331
The fastest possible character is 1680 feet per six seconds. Or 85 meters a second. Which exceeds terminal velocity of a human in typical falling positions.

A 20 str character can carry 300 pounds without slowing down.
>>
>>49550808
https://mega.nz/#!hZxBzSAL!PQbQTBICkVkfjEdwAUUKuegd-016s1kiTPmqYeK3jZ4
Right, I think I just posted the link I found last time. This should be correct though.
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-28+at+02.58.20).jpg (25KB, 310x148px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-28+at+02.58.20).jpg
25KB, 310x148px
>>49550812
All of the SCAG cantrips are on sorcerer, warlock, and wizard spell lists.
>>
>>49550912
I said "probably," because if you're not specifically building a character with a broken land speed, your speed is going to be somewhere from 25-60 ft. But if you want to try to trick your DM into selectively applying game rules and real-world physics in a combination that makes you a one-man peasant railgun, feel free to try.
>>
So in my latest campaign I've stolen the obligation system from Edge of the Empire and it's really made the story more interesting so far.

For those who haven't played EotE, every PC has an obligation score that is added together into a percentile pool and represents that character's backstory or debts, and you roll a percentile at the end of a session to see who's, if any, story comes into play in the next session.

Pretty good way of giving a 'this is my session' feeling to weekly campaigns.
>>
>>49550610
Yeah. Kinda overdid that.
Non-AOE Cantrips shouldn't need saves and such secondary effects.

Now however I want to make more SCAG-like cantrips to fill the other elemental themes.

Frost woolfs bite:
Conjuration cantrip
Instantaneous
Somatic (melee weapon attack)
Range 5ft

Same as viper strike (conjures spectral animal that strikes along with your melee weapon attack), Wis mod frost damage, at lvl 5 an additional 1d8 frost damage (2d8 at lvl 10, 3d8 at lvl 15 and 4d8 at lvl 20) and on hit slows target by 5 ft for one round.

Leaping lightning:
Evocation cantrip
Instantaneous
Somatic (melee weapon attack)
5ft range

>Hit primary target
>It takes normal melee weapon attack damage+*casting stat*mod lighting damage and a secondary target within 5 ft of the primary target takes 1d6 lightning damage.

>Scales with character level.
At lvl 5 both targets take an additional 1d6 lightning damage which increases by 1d6 at lvl 10,lvl15 and lvl20.

Star strike
Evocation cantrip
Somatic(melee weapon attack)
Instantaneous
Range 5ft

>normal melee weapon attack+*casting stat* mod radiant damage
>At lvl 5 every target within a 5ft radius of the primary target that isn't behind full cover takes *casting stat*mod radiant damage and primary target damage recieved increases by 1d8 radiant damage (scale to 2d8 at lvl 10, 3d8 at lvl 15, 4d8 at lvl 20).

Flood water rush:
Conjuration cantrip
Instantaneous
Somatic(melee weapon attack and moving at least 5ft)
Range - up to half of your movement speed

Conjuring a wave of water you move up to half of your movement speed to execute a melee weapon attack.
On hit target takes an additional 1d8 bludgeon damage per 5ft of movement spent.
After lvl 5 you deal an additional*casting stat*mod bludgeon damage on hit.
>>
I'm mulling around an idea for my seafaring party.

Considering them coming across a fantastical yacht with a 24/7 party going on, hosted by a rich Marid. If the players join, then while partying at some point they're going back to the Plane of Water. I'm simply looking for ideas

> for the style of yacht (what it's made of, what it looks like, etc)
> Why they get sucked to the Plane of Water
> Who is partying (No rules! It's a pleasure cruise type thing, so old qualms between natural enemies need not apply).
> Plot hook ideas for stuff to do on the Plane of Water.
>>
File: 312810.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
312810.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
So I'm making 4 halloween dungeons for a quick campaign. Each one has a main boss and a miniboss that's off the beaten path that gives the party a powerful magical item.

The dungeons are a necromancer's crypt, a vampire castle, a witch's swamp, and a werewolf's cave. What would be some good minibosses to hide in these dungeons? And what would be some good items to hide here and there.
>>
>>49551069
This sounds interesting.....could you explain a little more about it? I'm not quite sure I get how you tally up their score / add or detract from it and how you determine each one.
>>
>>49551069
It has a tendency to produce results that make no sense and therefore end up getting ignored. If a session begins while you're crawling through a dungeon deep in the wilderness (or in the middle of fighting your way through an enemy space station or whatever,) what is the GM to do with the fact that you owe a debt back home? It only works in extremely episodic campaigns where no party action takes longer to complete than a single game session.
>>
Just finished my first lunchtime session with some high schoolers in my little brother's dnd club.
>get stopped by security and brought to the front office wasting at least ten of my 35 minutes
>get back to the classroom where the club is held, half the members aren't here today so I've only got three kids
>give them the briefest overview of the setting, capitol city grew a volcano which erupted and buried the city, they're in a refugee city some years later
>druid playing girl says "what they built the city around a volcano they thought was dormant?" "Nope, it suddenly grew there" "ah, magic volcano" you got it, druid girl
>shady dudes approach each member individually (I asked if they thought any of them would be buddies beforehand, they said no) and knows their names, offering them jobs to go to the buried city and bring back treasure
>ask one kid his character name, he tells me straight faced "god dragon rider"
>probably a little mentally challenged
>say I'll call him rider for short
>druid is the last one, say she gets the same spiel, she says she'll go without me having to play out the entire interaction to save time. You go, druid girl
>they meet at a place to get the job deets, the kids are doing insight checks to see if these guys are legit, they're using background features to see if they know paths to the buried city, all kinds of shit
All in all, went pretty good.
>>
What are D&D Adventures? I visited my FLGS this past weekend and they mentioned that they host Adventures on Sunday afternoons if I wanted to join. I asked what it was but I didn't get a clear answer other than its for people who are new to D&D.
>>
>>49551174
It sounds like they're referring to Adventurer's League, the official organized play network. It means regular pick-up games of D&D with standardized, pre-made adventures that have nothing to do with the player characters in particular. It's mostly for people who like the idea that their character is somehow "official" and can be taken to conventions to play with strangers, or for people who can't get into a normal play group.
>>
>>49551129
At character creation in EotE you can choose to take on extra obligation for various bonuses (exp, credits, gear).

During the campaign you can lower your obligation by doing things that resolve it, such as paying off your debt to a mobster, killing the target of your revenge, etc. You can also take on more in exchange for benefits such as getting a loan or owing someone a favor.

If you let your obligation get to high by taking on too much extra baggage or ignoring your obligations you get stressed out and can't spend your exp until you lower it.

>>49551154
You don't have to treat it along the lines of 'a bounty hunter comes after the party in the depths of the catacombs', but perhaps as something along the lines of having the player run into a situation reminiscent of their past, or even just treat it as an implicit opportunity for the player to expound upon their story more than would normally be acceptable in a party focused game
>>
>>49551108
There's a bit much stuff that at lower levels does extra damage.
>below level 5 cantrips deal more damage than regular attacks, whereas booming blade / green flame blade only CONDITIONALLY deal more damage
>at level 5 and beyond they don't make booming blade / green flame blade quite as redundant, but they still do more non-conditional damage to the primary target,
>>
>>49551114
Megaman it and make the minibosses drop gear that helps kill the bosses of the other dungeons.

As for magical item ideas, I always recommend that people check out the Dungeons and Dragons Online wiki. That game had a ton of interesting magic items. Definitely requires a bit of tuning to not break 5e though.
>>
What are the best elven tree-cities I could steal? Any ideas?
>>
File: 1432525073295.jpg (776KB, 1200x878px) Image search: [Google]
1432525073295.jpg
776KB, 1200x878px
>>49551114
For the necromancer, the undead created from a famed bard who had such a strong spirit and will that he retained his personality and left of his own volition, now has a squad of backup dancer zombies, skeletals, and others. Huge numbers and tough to beat, but they all dance (move, and fight) in tandem. Namely, the backup dancers *try* to match the bard, but are all a bit slow and so copy his actions the following turn. The bard's power is thus increased for each minion standing, and when he draws to the end of his health a minion will die in his stead each time he takes damage.

For the vampire, a vampire hunter that thinks the players are minions of the vampire, either evil hirelings or mind controlled. Up to you whether he's just wrong or himself was unwittingly charmed by the vampire to think so.

For the witch, a swamp moster that abducts a player. They are actually just taken back to their home because they are very lonely. It's up to you how dangerous (and submerged) this home is, and how different the swamp monster's idea of hospitality and a nice spot of tea are.

For the werewolf cave, a gangster and his stash. Luckily for the players his stash is full of silver- but he isn't sharing a cut without a hell of a reason.
>>
>>49551494
Anon asks for Halloween-themed challenges, and you read that as "Mega Man." I just wanted to point that out.
>>
>>49551550
Elves live in forests where all the trees are a single organism (like the Pando forest) and live inside the colossal, interconnected root system.
>>
>>49551007
A wood elf arcane trickster can reach 360 ft per round without the Dm Monty hauling anything, or particular crazy building.

That's a third of terminal velocity.
>>
>>49551604
...I was hoping for something more specific than that. I've got the general overlay of the forest, but was looking more for, "There's a building here and here, built X' up into the air."
>>
>>49549531
Are you stupid?
>>
>>49551575
Game mechanics, not theme - I think anon did a good job
>>
>>49551575
I meant Megaman it in the sense that you kill the miniboss of the werewolf lair and he drops a silver axe that you can use in the Vampire castle.

As for ideas for the minibosses themselves, I always use iconic monsters of the golden era of Hollywood for my Halloween campaigns.
>>
File: safe space.png (346KB, 757x1134px) Image search: [Google]
safe space.png
346KB, 757x1134px
>>49550062
Go back to your safe space, faggot.
>>
>>49549101

Just refluff booming blade, seems easy enough to me.
>>
File: Seriously.jpg (46KB, 340x565px) Image search: [Google]
Seriously.jpg
46KB, 340x565px
>>49550351
Wow, that is some serious autism.
>>
Does anyone think they'll make any more Tarokka decks? They've been out of stock for weeks.

>>49551708
The irony here is hilarious
>>
>>49551629
The forest canopy is so overcrowded with buildings (a la Kowloon walled city) that you can't see the sky from the firest floor.
>>
>>49551271
Ah, that doesn't really sound all that fun then. I might do it for one afternoon to see how I like it, but if the world won't stick and everything resets I'm better off playing an MMO.

They did say they had a running group that play at the same time though, thats comprised mostly of GMs. Might see if they have an open spot.
>>
File: 5793-12368-25034.jpg (22KB, 640x394px) Image search: [Google]
5793-12368-25034.jpg
22KB, 640x394px
>>49551169
>lunchtime session
>wasting 10 of my 35 minutes
>35 minute game session
>magic volcano
>ask one kid his character name, he tells me straight faced "god dragon rider"

>All in all, went pretty good.
>pretty good
>>
>>49551174
D&D Adventures is a babysitting program where a special snowflake's OC donutsteel is led by the hand through pre-approved set-pieces with no real consequences whatsoever.
>>
>>49551751
Delicious like my cock?
>>
>>49551708
I want to be on a Sexual Assault Task Force, but one that's actually about sexual assault.
>>
>>49551129

In EotE PC's start with 5 points of Obligation. They may optionally take more (I believe up to 10 more) for credits or exp. to be spent.

The DM then makes a chart using everyone's Obligation. It might resemble the following;
>Stan the Planman, 5 Obligation "Betrayal - killed his uncle with a stool"
>Roger the Todgerdodger, 10 Obligation "Bounty - Hunted by Rico Fatboy and the Fratboy Brats"
>Howard the Loud Coward, 10 Obligation "Addiction - Gotta get them puddin' pops"

At the beginning of each session the DM rolls a % die. Using the chart above, a roll of 1-5 would trigger Stan's Obligation (the ghost of the stool haunts his dreams), a roll of 6-15 would trigger Roger's (the Mean Dean, Allen McQueen, finally tries to collect on the bounty), and a roll of 16-25 would trigger Howard's (get them puddin' pops).

It is remarkably system agnostic past character generation. I'm considering tossing it into my game as well. EotE also notes a hardcap on the group's Obligation (can't go higher than 100 or lower than 5) which makes sense.
>>
>>49548690
One of my players got REALLY lucky and got his hands on a deck of many things.

Can you guys give me some stories about your experiences with it? He got it at the end of last session but doesn't know what it does yet. I'm not sure how to reveal it to him (right now planning on just having him attune then telling him then showing the description). I'm also not sure what to expect. I didn't even plan a session tonight because I fully expect shit to go off the rails immediately
>>
Things that irrationally trigger you, /5eg/

>Be in new hardcover game for AL at LGS
>have a friend playing a rogue
>Rogue has 14 Dex
>And 16 fucking charisma
>"Oh its for better roleplaying lol!"

Like holy shit nigga I could understand wisdom for street smarts and shit byt dumping the main stat that determjnes your competence to boost a dump stat in a party with not one but three other high charisma characters just REEEEEEE
>>
>>49552041
Have a wandering gypsy on the road freak the fuck out as they recognize the deck, give a brief explanation, then ask to be part of the drawing for when it happens.
>>
>>49552041
My experience is that using a magic item that can permanently kill your character without being warned is extremely shitty in a softcore system like 5e.
>>
File: hobgoblancer.png (190KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
hobgoblancer.png
190KB, 290x290px
What are good mounts and secondary troops for hobgoblins?

I've already put the knights on hellhounds, but those don't sound practical for a whole army. What's thematically fitting and strong?
>>
>>49552158
It's clichéd but Worgs are probably the most suitable.

Anything that can be reliably tamed and expected to act in a predictable way would best suit rigidly organized companies of hobgoblins
>>
>>49550806
Not that guy, but thanks, that's handy :)
>>
How would you play an evil character that is an adherent to a good deity?
>>
Any good class books, be it first part or third, with some good wind magic?
>>
>>49552580
party not part.
>>
>49552580
Elemental Evil Player's Companion has wind genasi and a bunch of elemental spells including, you guessed it, wind.
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide has an elemental storm sorcerer bloodline.
There are 2 non-core books with character options, how do so few people know them
>>
>>49552612
Nice! Was just looking at the Elemental Evil Player's Companion and get me the pdf + softcover. Checking out Sword Coast too. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>49552468
I would do evil things that have a spin of maybe doing something good so it would look like I'm trying.
>>
>>49550670
No, not at all. For one, his hit points will be too low to survive for more than a round or two of focus from a whole party. Second, he still only gets one turn, maybe two if he's lucky, so an increased breadth of options will be wasted on him. Instead, use the table of stats by CR on the DMG and make heavy use of legendary action, legendary resistance, and lair actions.
>>
>>49552158
Warthogs, Worgs, rhinos, Bulls, Giant <insert beast>
>>
>>49552118
A gypsy sold it to him. There are quite a few of them as refugees in the area where they are. I'll do that.

>>49552148
Gotta risk it to get the biscuit
>>
>>49552109

>playing AL
>annoyed that a rogue could have high CHA
>annoyed about unoptimized characters and party imbalance in 5e

literally jump in a ditch and die
>>
>>49552041
My players got one. They were aware, and decided to not use it.

Then one of the players made a new character, a vassal of the luck God. Since he was feeling lucky, he decided to take a card. He got void, which immediately sucks his soul out and deposits it somewhere. Two sessions later, I finally got the campaign back on track.
>>
>>49552899
This tbbh family.
>>
>>49548690
>how do we fix clerics in 5E

Simple, stop playing a boring system with no options.
>>
If I am looking to join an existing game at level 7 to match the rest of the members, will it be decent to go a warlock 2/lore bard 5 variant human? Looking for the dip in warlock so I can spam the eldritch blast, but is this actually going to be fun to play and decent to level through as I have not played 5e since it came out. I assume you guys are a lot more familiar with the optimisation tricks.
>>
>>49552109
Maybe he's a Mastermind schemer type thief and not a stab people in the butt type thief.
>They didn't set out their stats exactly how I wanted
>REE.
>>
>>49553143
Does the DM allow multiclassing?

Unless everyone else in the group is super optimizing, I would recommend against it and pick what you think would be fun to play as.
>>
>>49552966
Clerics literally have the most meaningful and plentiful options of any edition in 5e.
>>
>>49553291
Yeah they seem ok with multiclassing. Also the group is pretty chill and experienced with the system so I kinda need to optimise just to get to their level
>>
>>49553331
For real. I hated fucking clerics in all the other editions. Now my main character is a Cleric thanks to 5e.
>>
>>49551645
yes. ive literally only played one session, im insanely new at this
>>
>>49551110
bump
>>
>>49553331
Plentiful yeah, but meaningful? I feel like wizard subclasses do more to create meaningful different playstyles
>>
File: like a ton of bricks.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
like a ton of bricks.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
idea for dms who can't think of quests or ways to tie your player to the campaign that just hit me

characters have multiple languages their characters know? how did they learn them? spend some time with a certain race? was it just a weird coincidence? study? was raised by that race? traded with them?

now turn those past interactions into future encounters.
>>
>>49552041
If it were me I'd immediately have drawn 10 cards.
>>
>>49553906
Almost all characters only have Common and [race language], how is that helpful?
>>
>>49552966
I would, but my players are having a blast playing non clerics.
>>
>>49554086

some, due to backgrounds, get 5 different languages
>>
>>49550806
Thanks dud
>>
>>49553705
Not that guy, but SCAG is a proper, printed official sourcebook, and UA is playtest material that might eventually get published - for example, Storm Sorcerer from UA got tweaked and then published in SCAG.
>>
>>49554146
wat
What backgrounds?
I know Outlander gives one.
>>
>>49554086
>>49554146

Six out of the thirteen PHB backgrounds allow you to pick up an additional language. Human and Half-Elf also allow you to pick up an additional language.

There are also ways to pick up language via certain class abilities/feats/downtime activities.
>>
>>49554086
I dunno, it can lead to somewhat flavorful character bits. My current Rogue speaks common with the ability to speak it in several regional accents since they're an espionage type dude and can speak Orc and Goblin with a terrible accent because he learned it via books as part of his training, (being a spy), since pretty much any country he would be sent to will probably have an Orc or Goblin population and they can be bribed for information or "interrogated" if they don't want to play nice.

So sometimes if I need to describe abstract concepts I either need to word it like a Russian immigrant who speaks barely any English or make an INT check to see if I can recall the proper word for it.
>>
>>49554184
I'll tell you a secret
You can customize backgrounds
>>
>>49554146
Hermits
>>
Reminder that Gnomes are a meme race and should not be encouraged.
>>
>>49554214
Sounds more like a gimmick than an interesting character trait
>>
>>49554236
You sound more like a snob than a pleasant human being.
>>
File: Orc2.jpg (29KB, 234x278px) Image search: [Google]
Orc2.jpg
29KB, 234x278px
>>49554146
>Thieves' Cant
Best language
>>
>>49554217
Yeah but the post said "three due to backgrounds" so I thought he meant 1 background gives 3 languages
Unless I guess you trade your skill proficiencies?
>>
>>49554236
What are character traits but a bunch of gimmicks tied together?
>>
>>49554258
>eyHay Anonyay, etlay'say obray atthay aladinPay.
>>
>>49554173
got a PDF downloads of em?
>>
Can the creation spell be used to make gunpowder? Poison? It seems a little ridiculous in the right hands.
>>
>>49554344
It's in the mega trove, ya silly goof
>>
>>49554344
The UAs are all available for free on WoTC's site.
SCAG (and the UAs for that matter) are all in the MEGA at the top of this thread.
>>
>>49554373
It is so no.
>>
>>49554409
Okay so what does it do? It's a 5th level spell with a minute cast time. I'm trying to get an idea.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (19KB, 715x71px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
19KB, 715x71px
>trying to find games on roll20
>>
File: Creation Spell.png (232KB, 254x378px) Image search: [Google]
Creation Spell.png
232KB, 254x378px
>>49554373

I would personally rule that they could create gunpowder and poison, assuming that they have seen it before as the spell dictates.

However if anybody tried to use it for ammunition/poisoning creatures, it wouldn't work because it says "Using any material created by this spell as another spell's material component causes that spell to fail." Also it's from the illusion school of magic which should give you a hint.

Pic related
>>
File: Death.jpg (32KB, 564x451px) Image search: [Google]
Death.jpg
32KB, 564x451px
>>49554430
This
>>
I'm trying to think of some ideas for some magical items that the party could use to have some fun with that aren't just some sword +1's. Hows this shitty idea:

A book tome that can imprint on its pages any non-magical item that is small enough to be squeezed between its pages when closing said book. Once an object has been "copied" onto it the PC's can take it out by opening the book and closing it will make the object vanish. Also destroying the book will destroy the item. The PC's can change the copied object by tearing out the pages of the book but there are a limited number of them.
>>
File: id rather die.gif (83KB, 395x281px) Image search: [Google]
id rather die.gif
83KB, 395x281px
>>49554448
>>
>>49554449
>Hey guys, I bet you 10,000 gold I can drink this big ol' jug of poison and not die
>>
So what's the most damage I could do with magic missile in a single turn?

Evocation wizard/fighter?
I wanna make a cuh-razy magic missile shooting gnome.
Or sorcerer/fighter? Since there's the chance of having a wild surge that casts magic missile as well. And quickening a shot of missiles is pretty good because then I could still attack with a weapon.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (19KB, 1090x39px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
19KB, 1090x39px
>>49554481
same guy put in two applications for some reason, and apparently the DM invited him
>>
>>49554373
Any 'clever' player whose character gets the idea to mix saltpeter and ash together, apropos of nothing, gets killed in the resulting explosion.
>>
>>49554448
You've found a sample of the late 2000's, preserve it, it could be valuable one day
>>
>>49554514
No Int saves?
>>
>>49554510

>either has the mental age of a 9 year old or is a an actual autist. or both
>DM doesn't recognise immediate red flag or is also pre-pubescent-autist combination

either way i wouldnt touch that group with a 10 foot barge pole
>>
>>49554557
>buffing wizards
>>
>>49554566
It is really interesting, I just can't imagine being that oblivious to social tells like that. Whenever I'm looking at games to join, I always check on who the DM has invited already.

It's a pretty obvious tell of a bad time waiting to happen if the DM can't distinguish obvious undesirables.
>>
File: Conditions.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Conditions.pdf
1B, 486x500px
So I decided to make some more conditions because I'm a sadist.

Based a bit off 3.5e / general rpg tropes

Thoughts? Do they work mechanically? Any condition that I'm missing?

Pic related
>>
>>49554557
Nah. They were stupid enough to try it for no reason, I'm just giving them what they want.
>>
>>49554557
>>49554612

Surely it would be an Int check to get the idea to mix the two and a Dex save to avoid the explosion?
>>
>>49554373
Yes. Illusion spells are meant to be flexible.
>>
>>49554448
God that shits so annoying. I've been looking and haven't found anything decent to join, or they already have 50 applicants. Shame the lfg thread here is so dead.
>>
>>49554449
Gunpowder explosions are not spells. Vials of poison and physical reactions to them are not spells.
>>
>>49554691
Just keep looking friend, you'll find something. Don't be afraid to apply in something that already has a bunch of applications.

I was just recruiting on Roll20 but I got sick of sorting through the trash and am now just trying to convert normie friends into players irl. It's just as bad for DMs
>>
>>49554514
I'm going to use creation to make a meth lab. Or just straight make the meth. They'll never be able to track me down.
>>
>>49553898
I can't think of a single bland domain. The closest is light which is a blast-y cleric... I mean you have domains that let you be Thor or create illusionary doubles or be a hardcore hippie.

Besides, think about the next most stuff a cleric gets in a D&D game - Pathfinder. You get 2 domains with 2 probably shit abilities and channel energy which is also shit.
>>
>>49554704

Feel free to rule it as you will, but I'm pretty sure RAI it wasn't meant to be a spell that could create durable material.

The hints from the spells are:
a) there is a specific listed duration for the objects that you create,
b) you are supposedly using "wisps of shadow" so after the listed time, it would return to nothingness
c) the caveat about not being able to use it in another spell
d) it is an illusion spell, not even transmutation or conjuration
>>
>>49554645
Nope. Fuck that metagaming little shit.
>So can I have an Int-check to mix these things I'd have no idea to mix?

Nigga can just fuck off and explode and die.
>>
Should newer players in a party be lower leveled or the same?
>>
>>49554801
The same, should go for players rolling new characters too.
>>
>>49554801
the same, always
>>
>>49554801
The same, but if the players are low enough (like level 2 or something) i like to run a tiny mini adventure to get them up to scratch
>>
>>49554787
I never said it was permanent gunpowder. But while the duration lasts, you can explode it. You seem to be confusing duration with effective. Is English not your first language?
>>
>>49554787
Well as far as Illusion goes, I think that the fact illusions wizards get a high level ability to turn their illusions real works in the same way.

The spell thing might just be so you can't use creation to bypass expensive spells or make a gem that's worth 10gp 10000000gp for things like ressurections.
>>
>>49554796
Sad days,
Atleast let him go on without his hands
It'd definetally make him regret trying to make fireworks.
>>
>>49554796

>"So can I have an Int-check to mix these things I'd have no idea to mix?"
>"an Int check to get the idea"

I mean, I understand what you're saying but if I had a player who was attempting to create gunpowder, of course I'd make them do an Int check.

But then again, I like to be fair and not just punish my players for creativity, fuck me amirite?
>>
File: Gothic-Bee.jpg (62KB, 506x650px) Image search: [Google]
Gothic-Bee.jpg
62KB, 506x650px
>>49554590
Hey guys. Someone posted a thread earlier about a druid focused on beekeeping. I homebrewed this druid circle, but the thread died before I could post it.

I wanted to get some feedback on it. What do you guys think? I know the wording is weird, but I could barely get it all inside one post
>>
>>49554865
>can i come up with a technological innovation that changed the face of the planet
>sure roll int
>>
>>49554865
I want to trap a dwarf in a cave with a forge while angry trolls wait outside. Then have him roll to create Iron Dwarf.
>>
>>49554493
Sorc/fighter:

9th level magic missile because why not.
Wild surge lands you a free 5th level magic missile because you are one lucky mother fucker.
Action surge and cast another magic missile at 8th level?
Likely you get a 1d4 extra bit of damage due to the sheer amount of d4s being rolled thanks to wild sorc 18th level feature.

But wait, your DM is a dick and casts shield. Counterspell that shit, use your metamagics to make him roll disadv just incase he's an even bigger dick and casts it at level 9 because fuck you.

If you somehow are still cock blocked by that DM walk out of this imaginary game for ruining this imaginary moment and come here tell us the story.

Also, not sure if wild magic surge requires components or not. If not, for extra fun use subtle spell on the other two magic missiles you cast because what the fuck.
>>
>>49554890
>Can I kill Steve's god
>Sure roll to attack
>>
>>49554890
>thinking that world changing technology matters even a little bit in a world where mid level wizards can reshape reality
I mean, I kind of get where you're coming from, but at some point things just get petty.
>>
>>49548690
what's the best monk path?
>>
>>49554909
Can't use extra actions to cast more than one spell (unless it's a spell and then a cantrip.) It's in the PHB but it keeps sorcs from doing fuck you amounts of damage to bosses.
>>
>>49554840

>"Feel free to rule it as you will"

>>49554851
Well I'll be darned. Just re-read Illusory Reality which is the 14th Lvl Wizard ability, and that's bloody amazing!
>>
>>49554925
I dunno man, i guess i'm just a stick in the mud on these things but it seems silly that anyone could just think ahead 300 years
>>
What are some class/race combinations that you've never seen in any of your games? I don't think I've seen a Dragonborn Druid.
>>
>>49554801
I make them start over at half the party average.
Then level them up effectively twice as fast.

I don't want people suicide characters just because they can't decide what they want to play.

It's really not hard to balance at all. And the rest of the party is aware whoever the new guy is isn't as tough as they are. Just don't be a dick and target them specifically when in combat.
>>
>>49554937
Yeah if you have even an ounce of creativity Illusion easily has the best ability.
>>
>>49554934
From sage advice compendium:

Casting Time
Is there a limit on the number of spells you can cast on your turn? There’s no rule that says you can cast only X number of spells on your turn, but there are some practical limits. The main limiting factor is your action. Most spells require an action to cast, and unless you use a feature like the fighter’s Action Surge, you have only one action on your turn.
If you cast a spell, such as healing word, with a bonus action, you can cast another spell with your action, but that other spell must be a cantrip. Keep in mind that this particular limit is specific to spells that use a bonus action. For instance, if you cast a second spell using Action Surge, you aren’t limited to casting a cantrip with it.
>>
>>49549152
Yes
>>
>>49554952
Never seen a Minotaur Rogue, a Shifter Paladin or an Air Genasi Psion.
>>
>>49554890
>>49554898

sure the DC would be high and they'd need to have considerable background information or research. Alternatively they'd need to work with a highly knowledgeabe NPC who would have been working on trying to create it.

But well done you for cutting down that strawman
>>
>>49555002
>Shifter Paladin
You know that was a big thing in 4e. They were good for STR pally builds
>>
>>49554865
I'd let the player do it immediately if that sort of knowledge is setting appropriate. If not, I'd let them do a research quest unless we were playing something so low tech it would stretch the imagination beyond all reasonable measure.
>>
>>49554928

Personally
Way of the Four Elements (Revised)

Based on official material:
Way of the Open Hand

Pic related
>>
>>49554982
>>49554934
And even if all that lines up you're looking at probably doing only about 100ish damage. Granted, it hits automatically, but it's far from broken.
>>
>>49548690
>How do we fix clerics, they're so fucking boring
You can flavorize a class as much as you'd like with racial choice and backstory.

Just let you be you.
>>
>>49555060
And I say that because of all the resources and shit you would have to expend just to do that.
It'd be a better play to make them all 5th level, of course.
>>
>>49554889
>Nectar of Life
>You gain the ability to synthesize magical honey. You may spend one hour collecting pollen. After doing so, you may transform it into honey, spending 1 hour per ounce of honey created this way. During a short rest, one ounce of honey may be consumed, allowing the creature to roll an additional recovery die.

I don't know, this seems kind of lame. What level are you supposed to get this at?
>>
A supremely bored Lich and/or Wizard has decided to improve the quality of life of the nation's commoners and distributed basic Cantrip level spell knowledge, however as a commoner you can only remember one Cantrip from the Wizard, Warlock, or Sorcerer list.

What would you pick? Mold earth seems an obvious choice for Farmers.
>>
File: 1473049788742.gif (2MB, 637x329px) Image search: [Google]
1473049788742.gif
2MB, 637x329px
>Twincast Haste
Sorcerers are ridiculous
>>
>>49555146
Prestidigitation, obviously.
>>
>>49555166
Sorcerers are not ridiculous.

Wizards have:
- 92 more spells to choose from than sorcerers
- can know literally every spell, with the SOLE exception of Enhance Ability, that a sorcerer can
- can cast *more spells per day* than a sorcerer *EVEN IF* the sorcerer converts *EVERY SINGLE ONE* of their sorcery points into spell slots (lol) due to arcane recharge at most levels
- has access to disgustingly good archetypes like divination and illusion, with portent from divination being objectively better than any heightened spell and the level 14 illusionist feature being arguably the best battlefield utility and control feature in the entire game
- signature spell and spell master are simply better end-game capstones than any of the last sorcerous origin features or sorcerous restoration (lol)
- wizards memorize *more spells in a single day* than sorcerers *EVEN HAVE KNOWN* at any given level
- ^ what the fuck
- access to ridiculously good spells in particular that sorcerers don't get like wall of force, foresight, maze, imprisonment - the list goes on and on.

MEANWHILE, SORCERERS GET:
- certain twinned concentration spells (great)
- heightened save or sucks (neat but portent does it better)
- quickened spells + cantrips for slightly better sustained damage over the course of a few rounds than wizards can usually manage

The discrepencies between sorcerer and wizard are greater in sheer mechanical weight than rangers vs, say, monks.
>>
>>49555191
>Nerf spellcasters to be closer to par with martials
>Still give Wizard the best class features
Classic 5e!
>>
>>49555349
>casters still objectively better anyways

An addendum.
>>
>>49554202
I have 63 languages in my homebrew. Languages are important in my world. I also allow +INT mod extra languages, though, to help that out.
>>
>>49555349
Martials and casters serve different roles in 5e, and both of those roles are almost entirely necessary.
So there being discrepencies between martials and casters is fine when they're both needed.
It's not so fine when there are large discrepencies among and between casters or among and between martials though.
>>
>>49555191
Magic missile guy here.
So I'm thinking wizard fighter...
>>
>>49555373
That's fair. The wizard no longer makes the fighter redundant but now he makes the sorcerer redundant instead?
>>
>>49549642
Anon, just fucking buy it. We don't give two shits and we won't buy it for you.
>>
>>49555380
>wizard fighter
I wouldn't recommend that. Just go EK if you feel you need to have spells. Or go full wizard if your plan is just to be a caster.

>>49555393
The sorcerer still serves the caster role effectively in 5e. The only issue is that the sheer obvious discrepancy between wizard and sorcerer is an actual cause of psychological pain to players who have actually played both well and comprehensively compared the two.
>>
>>49555431
the plan is to get dat action surge
>>
>>49549642
It's 10 bucks dude
>>
>>49555442
It's not really worth putting yourself two levels behind on caster levels m8. Really not.
>>
>>49550513
Literally why Evocation? They only use their catrips, nothing else.
>>
>>49551114
Necromancer: a flesh golem made to resemble his ideal woman, or a mummy lord
Vampire: his harem of undead concubines
Witch: her black cat is actually a shapeshifted druid
Werewolf: bone devil or skellingtons
>>
>>49555465
>not using shield
>not using absorb elements
>>
>>49555482
>shield and absorb elements
>evocation
>>
>>49555393

Eh, sorcerer's less good utility but can serve as the party face.

Perfect balance is impossible. 5e's classes are all pretty good. All playable, all powerful enough to meaningfully contribute. Is wizard better than sorcerer? Yeah, a bit. Is a level 6 wizard more powerful than a level 7 sorcerer? Nope. If you decide to play a sorcerer, are you screwed? No, you're fine.
>>
File: being this dumb.png (106KB, 295x181px) Image search: [Google]
being this dumb.png
106KB, 295x181px
>>49555499
>>
>>49555463
I dunno, I know the way my DM rolls, and he often gives plenty of time for short rests. That surge will get a lot of use.
>>
>>49555533
Burst damage isn't important in 5e. You casting two cantrips, first level spells, or second level spells in some combination is not as good as if you had access to your third level spells if you're a fifth or sixth level character. You're two levels behind the whole game.
>>
>>49550945
I only wish there were form fillable versions of the class specific sheets.
>>
>>49554960
>>49554833
>>49554823
>>49554817
Can they be at a higher level?
>>
>>49548690
>How do we fix clerics

Cleric isn't a class. Replace them with Paladins + (ideally, renamed) Invokers.
>>
>>49549923
Where is the $9 fee coming from ? I don't get it.
>>
>>49555431
Just allow the capstone as a class feature, solves everything. Maybe toss them some rituals too.

As of right now Warlock 3/Sorceror 17 is a better build (5 levels of Sorceror, 3 levels of warlock, 12 levels of Sorceror) is a more effective caster.
>>
>>49555681
Cleric is a class and has been for ages.
Random deity-worshiper =/= cleric.
>>
>>49555681
>Cleric isn't a class
I agree, every time someone tells me to look at my rulebook I just see a bunch of missing pages.
>>
>>49555693
>Just allow the capstone as a class feature
I assume you just mean that as "earlier", since it is a class feature.
I agree for the most part. They need to be able to cast more consistently - as beings of innate magical power - than nerds with books. The fact that nerds with books can somehow invoke more magic every day than the being of innate magical power is dumb as fuck.
>>
>>49555681
Paladins are pseudo-knights, not necessarily religious zealots and definitely not the traveling priest who turns the wicked away trope.... wait, are you saying Cleric should be replaced with psionics? How is that more like a cleric?
>>
>>49555681
>Cleric isn't a class
>is one of the core classes of D&D and one of the original 3

??
>>
>>49555743
If you just swapped arcane recovery from wizard to sorcerer, the balance is entirely restored. Sorceror has less flexibility and more dedicated themes to their archetypes, but more spells.

Boom. Done.
>>
>>49555532
>Literally why Evocation?
Anon didn't ask about the abjuration/unlocked schools
>>
>>49555093
Someone linked this to /a/ and I never rpg'd before but to make sure I understand a wizard can make everyone into a cat girl with wish or only the user?
>>
>>49555431
>The sorcerer still serves the caster role effectively in 5e. The only issue is that the sheer obvious discrepancy between wizard and sorcerer is an actual cause of psychological pain to players who have actually played both well and comprehensively compared the two.

Seriously mang I'm a Sorcerer right now and it just fucking sucks.

Gonna beg to get turned into a Wizard or fuck me a Tomelock or literally anything but this shitty as half-class.
>>
>>49554599

>bleeding deals necrotic damage

that seems dumb. just make it deal damage with no type.
>>
>>49555786
>>49555499
>>
>>49555781
You mean just give the Arcane Recovery as well? I'm already doing that and it works quite nicely.
>>
>>49555698
>>49555723
>>49555774
Anon was suggesting the fix to clerics was to remove them as a class

Honestly, do people in 5e thread just have the compulsion to be pointlessly obtuse?
>>
>>49555789
I'm curious. Why do you think Sorcerer sucks? Any specific examples you don't like, or do you just not enjoy it (a valid idea, of course)?
>>
>>49555787
Techically yes. Will you survive, and will your wish manage to effect even people with their own incredibly powerful magics? Probably not.
But your sacrifice will never be forgotten.
>>
>>49555809
What you you even getting at? I'm both of those posts. I was pointing out shield/absorb are NOT evocation spells, thus irrelevant to anon's complaint. This >>49555465 is the anon asking why evocation
>>
>>49555789
I'm the guy you're responding to. Sorcerers don't kick in really until 5th level, at which point and beyond they're workable and perform their role just fine. If you feel ineffective it may just be that you're not utilizing/choosing your resources correctly.
>>
File: e0d.jpg (45KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
e0d.jpg
45KB, 1000x1000px
>>49555820
>>
>>49555847
He's asking about EKs. EKs don't only know evocation, like is falsely implied.
Herp derp bro.
>>
>>49555830
It's in comparison to the other most similar option.
See >>49555191
>>
>>49551941
Stabler?
>>
>>49555866

he is complaining that one of their two locked schools is evocation
>>
>>49555943
They're fucking *ELDRITCH KNIGHTS*.
>>
>>49555866
That wasn't the implication
>>
>>49555959
...Okay? Are you saying they should get eldritch blast? You lost me
>>
>>49555982
The fact that you can't understand the tie between the school of evocation and the fluff of eldritch knights is really fucking funny.

>>49555967
If it's not then the complaint is even more worthless. What other school is more fitting than fucking evocation? Necromancy? Divination? Conjuration is the closest second, and evocation is still historically far more fitting.
If you complaint is simply that evocation sucks, then make better evocation spells.
>>
>>49555830
There's nothing that really distinguishes a Wizard from a Sorcerer.

Except that the Sorcerer does literally everything worse, besides for getting to do a metamagic gimmick a couple times a day.

My big issue with the Sorc is the hilariously bad number of spells known, the lack of ritual casting, and the complete lack of any form of upkeep.

I'm a 4th level Sorcerer at the moment, and I know five spells. Five spells and Five cantrips, that's it. I can't swap out any of those spells save for when I level up, and then I only can swap out one.

This is so fucking frustrating when compared to a Wizard, who, at level 4, easily has like 20~ spells known and can even prepare more than a sorcerer of a similar level too. Said Wizard also can swap out spells from their spellbook after a long rest, changing up their spells for what may lay ahead that day.

Wizards also get to cast rituals, which don't need to be prepared, and can be cast without using a spell slot. That gives a large amount of utility and causes the Wizard to lend greatly to a party. Casting Alarm to protect the camp, Identifying magic objects, Detecting Magic to help out exploring dangerous ruins, etc.

If I want to do any of that, as a Sorcerer, I have to give up one of my five spells known, and use a spell slot.

In exchange for all of this, I as a Sorcerer get to, twice a day, cast a spell as a bonus action, or, twice a day, cast a second level spell twice in one casting, or, four times a day, cast a level 1 spell twice in one casting. I have 4 sorcery points and when they're blown, that's it. I'm now just a Wizard that is worse in every fucking way.

Sure, Draconic Bloodline would give you a couple extra HP points and give you always-on Mage Armor, cool. Is that purely combat benefit worth all the great shit you give up?

I don't have any way of regening my spell slots or sorcerery points save for a long rest. Meanwhile, Mr. Wizard can, once a day, regen a couple spell slots on a short rest.
>>
>>49555959

I mean, I don't think it's a big deal for a few reasons personally, but you are talking about something totally different here and acting really defensive about it when you came in here not really understanding what you were talking about.

It's silly.
>>
>>49556024

>who at level 4 easily has 20 spells known

lol what are you smoking anon

at level 4, without scrolls, a wizard will have 12.
>>
>>49551114
Mummified tyrannosaurus
Vampire tyrannosaurus
Witch's house with chicken legs (is actually a tyrannosaurus)
Were-tyrannosaurus
>>
>>49556032
#justsaltyandilliteratethings
>>
>>49556041
oh sorry, the Wizard -only- has more than double the number of spells known, guaranteed, before factoring in spell scrolls.
>>
>>49556012
Why is evocation the most flavorful? When I think eldritch, I think weird, not necessarily Blasty.
>>
>>49556012
Transmutation spells would be a great boon for fighters. Haste, fly, enlarge person, magic/elemental weapon, even longstrider would serve to enhance what a fighter is good at and give him options in situations where he would normally be handicapped.
>>
>>49556045

fwiw i don't think it's a big deal. evocation spells aren't SUPER useful for fighters but they aren't useless either, since you'll get more damage if you AOE down a group of enemies than if you try to attack them individually often times. More over, keeping it Evocation and Abjuration helps your spell selection focus more on combat, which is sort of the point of Fighters.

>>49556055

Hey I aint saying sorcs have it that great (they're hardly weak though), and am totally supportive of sorcs gaining sorcery points on a short rest and getting a list of bloodline base spells like old UA storm sorc did. You just don't need to exaggerate like a maniac to prove your point.

Also, any full caster is really strong.
>>
>>49555811
I mean take Arcane Recovery from wizards and give it to Sorcerors.
>>
>>49556083

just let them heal sp on a short rest
>>
>>49556069
You're over-analyzing the word "eldritch" and missing the historical context of the eldritch knight in D&D.

>>49556072
Transmutation would be a better school. It's not actually more fitting to the historical fluff of the concept, but if you want to change it in your game you can feel free to do so.

>>49556078
It's not a big deal.
>>
>>49556108
What "historical fluff" are you talking about?
>>
>>49556012
Transmutation + Abjuration makes more sense.
>>
>>49556108
I don't care about the historical role of eldritch knights in shittier editions. I care about the functional and flavorful role of them now. So again, what is the justification, and why are your panties in a knot that people don't appreciate it?
>>
>>49556149
The justification is one you don't care about.
The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it any less of a justification senpai~
>>
>>49556105
Thanks for jumping into a conversation that started with your stellar contribution.

I said take Arcane Recovery from Wizards and give it to Sorcerors to balance them against each other.
>>
How to fix sorcerers:.

Go nuts with meta magic options. Let sorcerers learn as many meta magics as they learn spells, and give them a better way to recharge meta magic points.
>>
File: 1429822444715.png (237KB, 547x510px) Image search: [Google]
1429822444715.png
237KB, 547x510px
>>49556184
>>
>>49554382
>>49554402
thank you!
>>
>>49556173
It does however make the justification irrelevant, and your knicker knots all the more sad. What kind of person gets mad when someone doesn't know irrelevant trivia about old and defunct things?
>>
>>49556108
>It's not actually more fitting to the historical fluff of the concept
Who cares? Should I be upset the warlock pacts don't exactly match their 4e counterparts? That the ranger is incredibly shitty compared to the 4e version?
Previous editions only matter insomuch as to poach good ideas from. Locking EKs to a school that does not benefit them is not a good idea
>>
File: salt.jpg (125KB, 619x310px) Image search: [Google]
salt.jpg
125KB, 619x310px
>>49556221
>>
>>49556235
You don't need to care. It's the reason. If you don't like it, change it. Evocation does fit it - just because the school sucks doesn't mean its fluff doesn't fit.
>>
>>49556238
Right back at you old timer ;*).

>>49556235
Just ignore him at this point. He's the kind of guy that gets salty when you change things about fluff. Literally the worst kind of that guy.
>>
File: 1409880981618.jpg (66KB, 937x646px) Image search: [Google]
1409880981618.jpg
66KB, 937x646px
>>49556266
>>
How do I Bard?
>>
>>49556024
Well, what I think is that you went into Sorcerer expecting something different. A Sorcerer, at least in 5e, is supposed to do only a couple things:

While you have the same amount of spell slots, you only cast a certain number of spells, pumping out those spells at higher level spell slots is what you do. In essence, you're supposed to take those few spells you know and use them pretty much all the time. You can also exchange Sorcery Points for Spell Slots directly.

In reality, there's nothing wrong with Sorcerer mechanically; I've run six games, two of which had Sorcerers, and never had any issues--in fact, the Sorcerer was consistently useful, past level 5-6. Like most classes, they hit their stride after that.

I'd suggest asking your DM to retire your Sorcerer and bring in a Wizard, because you seem to really want to be a Wizard, rather than a Sorcerer. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Sorcerer, though.
>>
>>49556296
Easily.

You steal amazing spells and be amazing.
>>
>>49556296
You get to be the best at everything for free. Enjoy it.
>>
>>49556184

and I'm saying instead of that idea, just let them recover SP on a short rest. This doesn't take away something from the Wizard (why), as well as letting sorcerers play around with the mechanic that is the entire justification for their class more freely. Metamagic is what makes the sorcerer the sorcerer, so let them use more metamagic (and flexible casting).

With that and a bonus spell list that depended on blood line, I'd say Sorcerers would be totally fine. They're not in bad shape anyways, but that would definitely make them a more fun class imo.
>>
>>49556318
>>49556322

So are they still basically Time Mages, or what?
>>
>>49556280
Laws don't exist without institutions to enforce them anon. What the government decides to enforce would, in fact, be the definition of lawful
>>
>>49556342
He's probably talking about natural law, a concept central to the justification of many political philosophies.
>>
>>49556235
>Should I be upset that the ranger is incredibly shitty compared to the 4e version?

I mean, obviously yes?

The Ranger wasn't even the strongest striker.
>>
>>49556362
It is, indeed, about natural law.
>>
>>49556339
Uh. You can be? Spell selection.
>>
>>49554264

Half-elf hermit or whatever gives you two languages.
>>
>>49556280
What if you were born and raised and worked and lived in a society that was furnished, fed, and supported infrastructurally because of the organizational efforts that John and his voting friends provided, and you were inextricably tied to this institution and couldn't leave?
>>
>>49556959
What if the mafia built a sidewalk around your house and told that you owe them because they provided you with a smoother walking surface?
>>
>>49556985
I would meditate and draw chi from the universe, becoming a perfect zen being that is free from earthly desires, nourished by pure gnostic realization, transcending the material and drift into a realm of pure consciousness where my moral purity would resonate for eternity in blissful realization that dnd alignments are stupid.
>>
>>49557041
Brilliant response senpai. Really makes me think.
>>
I kind of want to play a blasty heavy armor nigga. As of now the best way to do that looks to be going EK fighter/Warlock to at least 2 for EB enhancements.

Anyone got any suggestions for the actual level balance? Im thinking a more Fighter heavy balance since EB will be the main damage source.
>>
>>49555509
That's actually a pretty good point that didn't occur to me - the sorcerer is "weaker" in combat than the wizard but has better social skills. My faith is restored.

(Charisma as a casting stat is still silly but I've come to terms with it)
>>
>>49555602
I would only think that a new character to be a higher level than the other characters should be a temp character you want the person to play so they can defeat a hard enemy then let them make a character on par with everyone else
>>
>>49555743
>They need to be able to cast more consistently - as beings of innate magical power - than nerds with books.
I'm not sure I follow the logic here. Just because their power is innate doesn't make it more abundant than that of wizards. You only have that preconception because that's how they were in 3e, when they were invented.

>>49555602
>New player coming to an existing group
>Starts at higher level
Literally why would you possibly want to do this unless it's a one-off special guest?
>>
>>49555693

As a being innately tied to magic, you have the ability to heighten your senses at will to find it. You can cast detect magic at will without using a spell slot.

Maybe a number of times per day or for sorcery points.
>>
>>49557353
It's stupid.
>>
>>49556560
>>49556560
>>49556560

New Dungeon.
>>
>>49556108
>>49556072
The problem with allowing Transmutation, and the reason that WotC chose not to, isn't just historical. There are really two reasons why fighters shouldn't have them:

1. They synergize much better with the fighter class features and playstyle. Buffs directly improve weapon combat, which is why clerics were overpowered in the distant past (think 2e) when they used to do both. Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with a powerful combat monster, but...

2. These buffs are somebody else's role. You want your party to have an insanely powerful martial? Awesome! Get a fighter and a wizard, or a bard, or a cleric. This type of synergy is baked into the game, but it rightly requires collaboration between different classes. Just like a wizard needs a fighter's protection to do obscene DPS, a fighter needs a wizard's buffs to do the same.

TL;DR: transmutation is much stronger on a fighter than evocation and giving EKs access to two buffing schools (including abjuration) would make them much stronger.
>>
>>49556194
>Le smug anime girl reaction pic

>>49556142
See >>49557472
>>
To fix War Clerics
>Instead of bonus action attack wis mod/lr give them advantage on weapon attack roll wis mod/lr
>At level 6 they get extra attack

Bam too easy
>>
>>49553377
>>49553143
are you going for GOO?
Cause you might as well go mind fuck people
>>
>>49557289
If your main damage source is going to be eldritch blast, consider going paladin/warlock. It gives you better class synergy so you aren't super MAD.

EK+warlock means you need to be good with INT, CON, CHA, and maybe STR if shit gets dicey. Paladin+warlock takes away the INT requirement.
>>
>>49548690
>Wizard last player standing
>Str 10
>grappled by big bear on 2HP
>roll a 20 to headbut...

As Darts and unarmed damage only single point of damage, is that considered a 'weapon die' for the purposes of critical attacks?
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.