[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FUCK SAVAGE WORLDS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: doyoufeardeath.jpg (234KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
doyoufeardeath.jpg
234KB, 1280x1024px
> playing savage worlds
> getting sick of exploding dice
> dice are CONSTANTLY exploding
> entire party uses shotguns for dem sweet 3d6
> +2 to hit means they hit anything not in cover 90% of the time
> start restructuring encounters where everyone is dug in, they still hit half the time with the goddamn shitguns
> sic literal ogres on them with full plate armor, they are INSTANTLY taken out by shitguns that deal an average of 15 damage, usually upward of 20 thanks to exploding dice
> these cunts literally don't know how to roll dice, they just drop a d4 over and over getting insanely high rolls on a regular basis
> almost one-shot a character after rolling 75 damage from a musket, not even sure how soaking works at that point (does he take 16 wounds? does he have to get 16 raises on his soak roll? or does it max out at 4??).

I cannot stand this shit anymore. Thus I am trying to think of a solution. I want to keep the toughness system but I need something more bounded. No more fucking exploding dice. The game I am working on is skill-based and uses 2d6, but it's also going to use 2d6 for damage. I'm thinking a base Toughness of 8, no Shaken, simply Wounded (and thus eliminated for minor faggots) on an Toughness+ damage roll. I am figuring 2d6 + the weapon damage should work. I'm going off the idea that a rifle shot should incapacitate the average unarmored person 75% of the time. As such I think I'm probably going to give it +2 base damage for right now. Maybe more later. Maybe base Toughness will be 10. I don't know. Fuck me. I just can't take it anymore with Savage Worlds.
>>
>>49547713
Have you tried talking with your players?
>>
>>49547730

Yes. We all admit that shotguns are broken as all hell. The developers did not think at all when making the system. They throw around +2s in a system where you roll d6s and d10s for rolls, like it's nothing, when they are equivalent to like a +8 in d20 system. Aiming giving a +2, that I understand, there's a huge likelihood of hitting if you have time to aim rather than just shooting off what you can without getting hit. But shotguns giving a flat +2 is the most autistic shit ever. Same with 3 round burst. And scopes. The game stacks +2 modifiers like there is no fucking tomorrow. It is broken at the core. The exploding dice system is also the devs' cue to make everything fucktarded because they don't have to worry about boundaries anymore.

Shotgun damage is also broken as hell. 3d6/2d6/1d6 at the different ranges, which is fine and cute and neat but the exploding dice makes them massively OP. 2d8 for a rifle and 3d6 for a shotgun are not the same fucking thing.
>>
Use Savage Armory for weapon creation. Also, fuck static 4 target number for ranged attacks, it's fucking stupid.
>>
make them unkillable. They take no damage from anything except for X. Also, the exploding dice work both ways. Have your dudes start wielding shotguns, have them get the drop on them (+4 to hit)
>>
>>49549437
Like I plan on throwing a few wendigos at them. They'll be invulnerable to everything but fire. I'm gonna let them use their parry as the tn to hit since in lore they're so fast. Gotta make your characters think a little rather than mindlessly slogging through the bad guys with shotguns.
>>
>>49547713
Well, thread can only get worse. We're already agreeing with Virtual Optim:
http://virtualoptim.tumblr.com/post/146829225050/rpg-review-savage-worlds
>>
>>49547713
First, shotguns shouldn't give a bonus to hit as spread is around 0.5" per yard on most shotguns. Secondly, in a good system, damage should depend on the weapon and how well the shooting was done. Exploding dices on damage is retarded. Thirdly, a three-round burst shouldn't give any bonus to hit, either, but when hit, three shots land. Fourth. +2 for an optic sounds like much, but during operations in Fallujah US troops landed so many head shots thanks to their ACOG's that some people thought they executed prisoners. The bonus is justified.
>>
>>49548126

The target number goes up based on range.
>>
>>49549489
>>49549437

> have to make all enemies use the same OP stats becuase the game devs can't design the game right

At this point I'm sick of Savage Worlds anyway, but thanks senpai. I just cannot stand the exploding dice in general. You get eight raises on a fucking climbing check... so, what , you climb 800 miles per hour? The dice can fly off to infinity and there's no fucking context or point.

>>49549548

So? He was right about alot of things, he was just an asshole.

>>49549662

Agreed, man, I wouldn't mind a +1 for a shotgun, it's unrealistic but it makes them feel movie like. +2 is just fucking ridiculous though.

>>49549761

Hardly ever matters because every time they get into a long range fight they just pull out their pistols and roll 5 raises to hit and somehow kill someone 1000 feet away with a fucking 1911.
>>
>>49549761
It's either irrelevant, or characters (player or non-player) without ranged weapons are even more fucked because you get free attacks on them while they (or you) close the gap.

Being able to shoot outside of your no-penalty range is an additional option, not the assumption.

>>49549662
>Exploding dices on damage is retarded.

Agreed, damage not acing is a good rule. I haven't played SW in a while but when I did, that was the base assumption in the group I played with.
>>
>>49549820
>At this point I'm sick of Savage Worlds anyway, but thanks senpai. I just cannot stand the exploding dice in general. You get eight raises on a fucking climbing check... so, what , you climb 800 miles per hour? The dice can fly off to infinity and there's no fucking context or point.

Limit explosions to 1. Alternatively, use the (a second max roll counts as a +0), this fixes some weirdness in the math as well.
>>
>>49549820
>At this point I'm sick of Savage Worlds anyway, but thanks senpai. I just cannot stand the exploding dice in general. You get eight raises on a fucking climbing check... so, what , you climb 800 miles per hour? The dice can fly off to infinity and there's no fucking context or point.

If you get a raise on a climb check you move an additional 2". You gain nothing from further raises.

If you hate Savage Worlds down to its basic core rules, shouldn't you just find a system more to your liking?
>>
>>49551907
>If you hate Savage Worlds down to its basic core rules, shouldn't you just find a system more to your liking?

I can't. I like GURPS but GURPS has too much crunch. FATE is a cool idea but full of so much pretentious shit i can't stand to play it. Cortex is the same step-dice crap. Unisystem has exploding dice as well.
>>
I've been using the rule that dice only ever explode once. My players bitched and then shut up as soon as they realized this actually let them do cinematic, tactical fights that don't consist of them getting destroyed till someone remaining one-shots whatever the problem is.
>>
>>49552075

Fair nuff, I agree with those sentiments.

You could change the shotgun to 3d4 instead of 3d6. According to anydice.com the chance of rolling 5-10 damage goes up and 14+ damage goes down.

>almost one-shot a character after rolling 75 damage from a musket, not even sure how soaking works at that point (does he take 16 wounds? does he have to get 16 raises on his soak roll? or does it max out at 4??).

Damage in excess of incapacitated is ignored. One soak would knock it down from incapacitated to 3 wounds, ect.
>>
>>49547713
At least you have an idea of where to start to help mitigate this. There are too many whiny cunt DMs and GMs out there who complain about systems but then do absolutely nothing ot remedy the problems they face in their campaigns. "Just werks" isn't really a thing, and even if it does it's probably a boring ass system like GURPS
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.