[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Frontier General - In love with the CoCo edition.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 27

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/54jyvl/postmodern_has_begun_hareruya_and_bigmagic_team

For those who aren't caught up.

A store in Japan has funded a massive tournament to try out a new eternal format called "Frontier". This format involves cards from M15 onwards, and will essentially be a "Fixed" modern.

The first thread had a few decent brew ideas with a lot of shitposting about how CoCo would just dominate and ruin the format. Is Bant Company really too good for Neo-Modern? Would the problem just solve itself after future set releases, as we expand from "Just extended" to a true, non rotatory format?

Discuss.
>>
>>49537083

For those who are unaware, Frontier Legal sets at this point would be:

M15
Khans of Tarkir
Fate Reforged
Dragons of Tarkir
Magic Origins
Battle For Zendikar
Oath of the Gatewatch
Shadows Over Innistrad
Eldritch Moon
Kaladesh

Other things to note:
>Allied fetch lands are legal.
>Chord of Calling is legal.
>Enemy fast lands have just been printed.
>Battle lands are fetchable
>Eldrazi are playable without Eye of Ugin/Eldrazi temple
>>
>>49537083
> Shitty neo-Extended
> Japs
>>
File: questions (2).jpg (58KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
questions (2).jpg
58KB, 720x405px
So why did they choose to start at M15 and not Origins? Was it just specifically to include fetches and walkers before Khans?
>>
>>49537157
Same logic with Modern. New border started at M15.
>>
Xth for do a format
>>
>>49537157
>Specifically to include walkers before khans
>Garruk, Apex Predator
>Chandra, Pyromaster
>Liliana Vess
>Ajani Steadfast
>Nissa, Worldwaker
>Jace, the Li... We don't talk about Jace

Yeah we'd be lost without this bunch...
>>
Is there a good superfriends list here?
>>
>>49537221
Having access to Oath of Nissa helps limit mana issues, plus i guess Ajani Steadfast can say what's up.

I like the idea of Nahiri getting Newlamog in standard. Maybe more viable here?
>>
>>49537157
dead stocks
>>
>>49537083
What a miserable sounding format. It doesn't even have thought scour. It's like someone though, "you know what would make nonrotating formats better? A low power level and a shallow card pool."
If people like it, power to them, but I'm thoroughly turned off.
>>
>>49537307
>trcuis and dig are bad cads
>>
>>49537320
>thought scour is card draw/selection and not an engine to help power out both dig and cruise
>>
>>49537320
But they are. 8CMC draw 3 / get the two best cards from the next 7 is utter shit.

These effects are only good when they cost 1-2, which won't happen because this shitfest of a format doesn't have good cantrips or discard spells or filler at all that isn't fetchlands.
>>
>>49537320
Both are only as good as the cards you draw with them.
>>
Hmm
Fiery Temper
Lightning Strike
Molten Vortex
Incindery Flow
Scab-Clan Berserker
Exquisite Fire craft
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh.
>>
>>49537363
>>49537374
You sound like the people who said getting delerium was going to be hard. Blue should have to control the game for a brief period of time before getting to combo off and there are cards that allow that to happen. Just because the perfect fuel for the fire is too old doesnt mean there will never be new ways to power these cards out.
>>
>>49537454
Also for creature combat.
Hooting Mandrills
Autumnal gloom
Moldgraf shambler
Gnarlwood Dryad
Skin Infection
Tasigur
Soul flayer
Gurmag Angler
>>
This may be the place for vehicles to shine with OGW Nissa and the token makers from Khans and M15
>>
>all the warriors are humans
>Thalia's buffs humans

It's like you hate value. Even modern ally decks play champion of the parish despite it being nothing like an ally.
>>
Speaking of harmless offering, I would love to see a Grixis deck with all of the control effects in frontier. Get maybe a one of dragon lord silumgar, demonic pact, aggressive mining, midnight oil, enter the fold, confiscation coup, harmless offering (of course) and emrakul, and make your opponent play the worst cards of your deck and you play the best cards of theirs. Have the rest be the best removal (black will probably have to put the most effort in this group), and shove all of the dual lands in there because no blood moon or fulminate Mage.

I'm just talking out of my butt right now, because harmless offering and demonic pact in a red/black control deck is kinda good by itself.
>>
Holy crap, what is this... the third thread? Man the shillers are hard at work over this...
>>
>>49540739
We want to make it work, dang it. Just let us be.
>>
>>49540739
Seventh or eighth by my count. We're getting paid well for this my fellow hebrew!
>>
File: picture_new.php.png (116KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
picture_new.php.png
116KB, 223x311px
first for cancer

4x Sphinx's Tutelage
3x Mind Sculpt
4x Fiery Impulse
4x Cathartic Reunion
2x Tormenting Voice
4x Expedite
3x Treasure Cruise
2x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2x Curious Homunculus
3x Bedlam Reveler
4x Collective Defiance
3x Languish
3x Spirebluff Canal
3x Shivan Reef
2x Sunken Hollow
2x Swamp
4x Mountain
2x Island
4x Polluted Delta
2x Bloodstained Mire
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 355x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 355x225px
>>49540867
Love it. Hope that if frontier ever becomes a format supported by WOTC (right after highlander and paper pauper get their needed recognition) that treasure cruise doesn't get banned.
>>
>>49540867
If you're going for mill, wouldn't altar of the brood help...

Also should I go with W/R Vehicles (Depala, Qal-Sima Behemoth, Lupine Prototype, Madru Blazebringer, vehicles)
Or
B/W "Life gain" ( chaplain blessing, alms for the vein, Kambal, it that rides as one, ajani's pack mate, serene steward, cleric of the forward order, feldiar sovereign, Alahamarret's archive, aetherflux reservoir)
>>
>>49541661
Altar is just meh as a mill engine, a mill deck doesn't run a large amount of permanents. This deck runs heavy cantrip counts to find its engine, which then turns the cantrips into more mill.

Lifegain seems really meh, you'll eventually just run out of gas and lose to a deck with actual threats instead of 1 mana do nothings.
>>
>>49541661
You're clearly really bad at magic.
>>
File: 92.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
92.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>49537083
Bane fetches
>>
>>49541661
Vehicles needs to go Naya Tokens for it to really work because wraths spare the vehicles but not the pilots.
>Dragon Fodder
>Raise the alarm
>Nisa, Voice of Zendikar
>Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
And a bunch of cars will be the deck since Nissa and Gideon both produce pilots and make your vehicles stronger through counters/emblems.
>>
>>49537374
>I never played standard
>>
How long until this shitty new format goes the way of middle-class magic and tiny leaders?

Literally no one gives a flying fuck about the "unique and interesting" format of turning rhinos sideways.
>>
>>49544382

>middle class magic

Wut

Also, I think this format could be fun for people who have enjoyed standard, whic seems to be a lot of people

Obviously people who haven't played standard since m15 won't be interested, also people who did but didn't like it
>>
>>49537083
>Japs make post-moder because despite being loaded can't get enough cards for modern
>French shave duel commander from 30 to 20 life because wotc doesn't design anything that affects the format and it's stalling as hard as tiny leaders
>Standard has been losing tournament attendance all year long
>Legacy is ded
>Vintage told wotc to go fuck themselves when they told them to stop using proxies

This is what happens when you're a TOY company that acts like it's a media producer/bank.
>>
File: 1474954610065.png (143KB, 538x259px) Image search: [Google]
1474954610065.png
143KB, 538x259px
Rate my shitty Jund brew.

Lands (24)
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Cinder Glade
1 Forest
3 Hissing Quagmire
2 Llanowar Wastes
2 Mountain
3 Smoldering Marsh
4 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Wooded Foothills

Creatures (16)
4 Grim Flayer
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
4 Sylvan Advocate
2 Arborback Stomper
2 Thunderbreak Regeant

Enchantments (3)
3 Molten Vortex

Instants (11)
3 Fiery Impulse
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Kolaghan's Command
2 Unlicensed Disintegration
1 Murderous Cut

Sorcery (6)
4 Despise
2 Duress

>>49544382
I like it. Screw you.

>>49544632
WotC will soon learn their game is larger than them.
>>
Is it possible to use hooting mandrills, kozilek's return, lightning strike, grapple with the past, stubborn denial, various counter and dig spells, gnarlwood dryad, elder deep fiend, wretched hippogryff, fetchlands, filigree familiar, and cathartic reunion all in one deck?
>>
>>49544747
Why not? Give it a shot! Go wild!
>>
>>49544632
>Japs make post-moder because despite being loaded can't get enough cards for modern

I wondered why anyone would ever want to play anything like this, and that now makes sense. On a related note, are there even any Italian Legends cards left in Italy for Italians to play Legacy with?
>>
any way to replace dictate of karametra in my old theros-khans sultai villain wealth?
>>
>>49544793
Did some quick,searched, and it doesn't look like you can straight up replace it. What does the deck do? Do you have a list?
>>
>>49544697
I feel Rabblemaster can get much more dangerous than Advocate if left alone.
>>
>>49544786
Wouldn't be surprised if there aren't. Ditto for Revised, all my duals are italian FBB.
>>
>>49537083
Frontier is already an obscure MTG game type, though.

>Get 2-4 normal decks
>Remove all the lands, note which lands came from where, and shuffle all lands together into deck
>Place the land cards facedown in a rectangular grid.
>Each player picks an edge of the grid
>Each player gets a 1/1 colourless creature
>Game then starts
>Enchantments, non-creature artifacts, instants and sorceries all work as normal.
>Each player has a zone just off their side of the grid, which all creatures start in and have to move out of.
>Players can only be attacked by creatures adjacent to that zone, and creatures can only attack adjacent creatures
>Creatures can move 1 space per turn, in either the up, left, right, or down directions.
>When a creature moves onto a face down land, it is turned up.
>Creatures can turn adjacent lands face up instead of moving
>Creatures get +1/+1 if the land they're on is one of their colours, and +1/+1 for each adjacent land that's one of their colours
>Lands can only be tapped for mana when there is a creature on them or adjacent to them.

That's the basic rules.
>>
Post modern Mardu!

Help me brew!
Monastery mentor plus all the removal and a few token generators?
Best removal in this format?
>>
>>49544632
In fairness to standard, CoCo was incredibly boring to play against, and the GW mirrors were effectively Mexican Standoff: The Gathering because you could never safely attack for threat of Avacyn blowouts.

There's a lot of hope that Kaladesh will shake up the format. Temur emerge lost little but got a hard counter printed against them, UW spirits and UB zombies lost some notable cards, GW humans lost a LOT.

The format is wide open, and a lot of pros expect there will be a good amount of brewing up until the day of the PT.
>>
>>49546156
That sounds awful.

>>49545745
Yeah, Rabblemaster is beast. During M15 Standard, until shortly before Khans rotated in, it became "Answer Rabblemaster or lose" Hell, several decks crammed him in there because why the fuck not?
>>
File: 15.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>49546697
Murderous Cut

Also here's your spicy deck tech that everyone forgot about.
>>
>>49547084
Can't be the only decent bit of removal. I know I'll have to run lightning strike as well as a full set of k commands.
Mardu charm could see play too.
>>
>>49547157
Murder is legal. Unlicensed Disintegration is awesome.

There's tons of conditional removal in the 1 and 2 drops. Fiery Impulse, Wild Slash, Grasp of Darkness. Declaration in Stone. Dromoka's Command, Kolaghan's Command. Ultimate price.

I'm sure there's some good removal I'm missing.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 265x370px
>>49546697
Mentor+Pic Related w/ all the good removal spells seems good.
>>
>>49537157
Why the fuck would they start with Origins? Is a better fucking question.
>>
>>49547220
Thanks senpai.
This is starting to look pretty good already. Might chuck boros charm and deflecting palm in the mix too. Pretty satisfying to give an opponents creature double strike and send it back at them
>>
>>49547243
Almost forgot about this guy. I'll run raise the alarm and secure the wastes to ensure he has some tokens to sacrifice.

List is starting to look pretty sweet.
>>
>>49547303
Don't forget Dragon Fodder or Hordeling Outburst.

Jeskai or Mardu tokens looks sweet.
>>
File: 1459997639203.jpg (19KB, 340x315px) Image search: [Google]
1459997639203.jpg
19KB, 340x315px
>>49537083
>Shit, how do we sell all this M15, Tarkir, and Origins cards? Everyone just sold them back to us but now they won't sell at all.
The manabase will allow shit like Dark Jeskai, and Abzan will still be all the rage. BfZ cards can't compete with Tarkir, the powerlevel gap is just too big and Shadows would have a hard time as well.
>>
>>49537083
Stop making threads about shitty New Extended
>>
I just want you to drive up the price for CoCo so I can sell.
>>
File: disdainfulstroke.jpg (38KB, 265x370px)
disdainfulstroke.jpg
38KB, 265x370px
All control blue decks should mainboard at least 2 strokes
>>
midrangegoodstuff.format

No thanks.
>>
File: 1473230976728.jpg (127KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
1473230976728.jpg
127KB, 1024x687px
>>49547873
As opposed to what?
Standard is durrdle the format
Modern is Aggro the format.
Legacy is Miracles the format.
Vintage is lol- who- the- fuck- plays this format
Pauper is literal poorfags.
EDH/Commander is UGx the format.
Draft is for people who actually want to play.
Sealed is for babies.

Seriously, why not play another crap format in a terrible game?
>>
>>49547286
Boros charm?
>>
>>49547798
Oh fuck i forgot about this thing
>>
>>49547496
>I had to come here to explicitely tell a bunch of people on the internet that their new format is shit.
>Now if you excuse me, i have to masturbate furiously over my $500 format while chocking myself because playing with Cryptic Command makes me feel good about my life.
>>
File: 1473663493332.gif (42KB, 400x458px)
1473663493332.gif
42KB, 400x458px
>>49547873
>mfw I love grindy matches

You get to cast spells, kill things, attack and block etc
>>
>>49547387
Thanks my man.

Thalia's lieutenant or hanweir? Maybe I could focus on Mardu humans?

It's shame frontier doesn't go as far back as theros.
>>
>>49546761
What's so bad about it?
>>
So abzan aggro is back? Sweet. Anything that could replace fleecemane lion andHerald of torment?
>>
So I can play with cards from MM15 up to kaladesh right?
>>
>>49548823
M15 and MM15 are 2 different things.
>>
>>49548823
M15
KTK
FRF
DTK
ORI
BFZ
OGW
SOI
EMN
KLD
>>
Shit to stock up on
-Fetches
-Duals
-Fastlands
-The lands like Port Town (don't need a full playset)
-The commands
-Jace

>>49546761

Rabblemaster is a nice curve topper in atarka red too.
>>
>>49548863
My bad
>>
>>49547924
>>49547924
>Legacy is Miracles the format
>Vintage is lol- who- the- fuck- plays this format
T. Standardbaby
>>
>>49547220
murder is a crime man
>>
>no delver
>no tempo

I'll pass. Enjoy top decking though.
>>
File: SwordsToPlowshares.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
SwordsToPlowshares.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>49547220
You are missing the best removal in the game
Cuz you are playing a shitty excuse of format
>>
>>49549848
What is Jeskai/UR Prowess?

>>49549904
That's fine. I'm sick of always seeing that card, anyway.
>>
>>49549974
>What is Jeskai/UR Prowess?
Certainly not tempo
>>
>>49550052
>land an early clock
>protect it with removal, counters, pump spells
>keep some moderate card advantage
>beat face

How is this not tempo? Is there some bizarre and obscure definition I'm not aware of?
>>
File: image.png (130KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
130KB, 223x311px
>>49549848

You can flip your delver as much as you want, I'll cast DTT and grab ojutai in a real control deck. My wincon doesn't die to pussy ass bolt.
>>
Im gonna play rhinos again!
>>
>>49550130
>real control deck
This is hilarious because frontier can't support 'real' control. Also your garbage format doesn't get bolt lmao.

Lastly, delver is not a control deck you retarded standard baby.

>>49550107
>removal
>counters
Funny guy
>>
>>49550130
>nu magic babies actually think like this
>>
>start playing in 97
>stop in 09
>come back 6 months ago

frontier seems p. cool to me
>>
>>49537083
Just give me a UU format where no non-land cards that are in the top 16/32/64/whatever decks can be played.
>>
I seriously don't understand the appeal of this format.
Why?

The removal sucks.
The counters suck.
Combo is non existent.
Coco is going to dominate because all the good cards are sorceries under 4 cmc with aggressive bodies stapled to them

It's all going to be slamming creatures with no thought other than looking to see if you have the biggest guy or not.

However, now after typing it out, this might actually quarantine all the poorfags and shitters that have infested quality formats.
>>
>>49550306
The appeal for me is that I can start collecting cards, and over time the format will get better and expand. I quit in 09, I missed out on 99% of the broken ass shit that's legal in modern. I Looked at making a modern deck, and it's at least 800 for something decent. In the area I live in, like 6 people play modern because of the cost barrier. However, most everyone in our FB group seems excited for frontier. We will see if that lasts, but for now it's a nice idea.
>>
How's it feel to be a containment thread and the laughing stock of the other constructed mtg threads?
>>
>>49550355
If there was a Standard thread, I'd be posting there.

Modern threads are cancer.
>>
>>49550355
How does it feel to be a senile grandpa behind the current trends?

Wizards doesn't even care about formats outside of standard, outside of the bare minimum number of events.

And there are many signs pointing to this format being something Wizards will eventually get behind.

So how does it feel to play dying formats?
>>
>>49550407
>So how does it feel to play dying formats?
You tell me. What's it like being stillborn?
>>
FORMAT THEME SONGS:

>Standard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvHYWD29ZNY
>Modern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YH5MEyNuIM
>Legacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA
>Vintage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChTqYlDjtI
>Frontier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vYnas6q3Sg
>>
>>49550469
man, I'm in love with the CoCo so much I might make a company deck in modern. Hoping frontier gains traction at my LGS so I don't have to do that.
>>
>>49550509
Do you think you could convince your LGS to do a Frontier tournament?
>>
>>49550559
Probably not. We can barely get enough people out for draft night.
>>
>>49550559
>hey guys let's play a tiny card pool with shit power level. Trust me. It'll be fun
>>
>>49550355
>Standard players who enjoyed the past 2 years of play get to not only continue playing the decks they've enjoyed but get to continue enjoying being able to add to those decks over time.
>Modern players who can't afford to buy in/weren't around for the printings of the staples/are sick of waiting for reprints/don't enjoy playing against infect or burn/don't like playing "Guess who?" with the banlist get a new, in development non rotatory format where wizards can control the OTT synergies that come about so we don't get anything pop up like Eldrazi Winter again.
>Legacy players who don't like restrictive formats get a little extra value from selling their rares that are played in another format they're not interested in.
>Lolwhoevenplaysvintageseriouslyanyway
>Richfags can enter the format without having to even invest a large ammount of money. You can even go full pimp if you need to show off.
>Poorfags get an accessable alternative to Modern that they can start collecting staples from NOW, without it being a ridiculous financial drain.

The only bad thing people have to say in this thread is "YOU'RE ALL POOR YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE BOLT." We're secure enough with our format that we don't need bolt to be happy. And honestly it's just fun to try brewing with new constraints again.

>ITT: People genuinely excited about trying something new and butthurt Modern players worried that their format is gonna die so they have to shit on anything else that might threaten their investments.

>>49550567
>Tiny card pool with shit power level

Have you even played a draft/sealed before?
>>
>>49550567
I never understood Standard either.
>>
>>49550449
>stillborn
Arnt you talking about your own format?
>>
>>49547220
There's the BFZ/SOI White cards that require a power greater or lower then 3/4
>>
I just don't get why people are posting here if they don't have an interest in this format.
Anyways, now I can dust off mardu dragons and start building abzan aggro, so I'm stoked.
>>
File: 1473632611630.png (223KB, 356x334px) Image search: [Google]
1473632611630.png
223KB, 356x334px
>>49550746
They just want to shit on anything new/fun/ exciting/ different/ thing they don't like/ thing YOU like.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (12KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
12KB, 247x204px
>>49550587
>The only bad thing people have to say in this thread is "YOU'RE ALL POOR YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE BOLT."
You don't even have bolt
You don't even have maná leak
You don't even have doomblade
You don't even have wrath of god
You don't even have serum visions, aka the worst cantrips ever created
You just have coco valuefest and superfriends. With a mediocre burn. This shit will be who draws more siege rhinos.
You are poor and don't want to play modern? Fine, but don't shill a shit format as if it were the solution when this shit can't support anything that is not any combination of colors + CoCo
>>
File: Bleh.jpg (82KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
Bleh.jpg
82KB, 680x680px
>>49548217
>you get to play magic and interact with your opponent while possibly having fun and making friends
absolutely disgusting
>>
>>49550824
Nigger, you haven't even tried it yet. You have no freaking clue how this format will play out. We don't need those cards, either. Hell we have replacements for all that shit anyway.

Go shit shit up the Modern thread and complain about your prices.
>>
>>49550407
>How does it feel to be a senile grandpa behind the current trends?

Damn dude, you're right! I should dab while wearing a snapback and make some harmbe memes xD
>>
>>49550824
Nobody's shilling this as a solution to Modern. The fact that Modern needs a solution in the first place should say everything about the format.

We have a small pool now because it's literally starting a non rotating format from a recent set anew. Of course it's gonna just look like Extended for a while, but in two or three years it's gonna have a much wider card pool and more possibilities are gonna open up. People are just excited to try something out while it's new, and threads like this are just to make people think twice about getting rid of their standard staples because a new format is currently being tried and tested to see how balanced it is.

And if you think it's just CoCo then you're either fucking retarded or blind. There's been a lot of brews posted in the threads, none of which are CoCo, so the interest and potential is there.

Why do you have to be so angry? Just let people enjoy their nice things.
>>
>>49550824
I'm glad that i'll never have to see mana leak cast if this format takes off , that's a "feels bad" card when cast before turn 5
>>
File: 1369349737012.jpg (67KB, 606x496px) Image search: [Google]
1369349737012.jpg
67KB, 606x496px
>>49537083
>M15 onward
>shit sets into more shit sets
N-no thanks
>>
>>49550587
Why do you faggots think everything is an investment. Is it impossible to comprehend I might just throw my money away on cardboard because I can and I'm not some sneaky jew or whatever you came up with in your head?

As for the format.
It will be creature slamming and nothing else. You have next to no cards able to deal with creatures. At least not any efficient enough to warrant play over windmill slamming your own beaters.

Combo is not even a thing. How can you just remove an entire archetype?

The card pool is so small it will be solved in no time.

This last part is opinion only but the format will be so boring. You're going to see the same 3 decks and the power level is non existent. The format is just going to be midrange topdeck battles with no thought.

>hope I rip more relevant cards off the top then my opponent
>>
>>49550587
>The only bad thing people have to say in this thread is "YOU'RE ALL POOR YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE BOLT."
We have a shit ton of things to say and most of em are actual problems with your dead on arrival format.
>>
>>49550898
A strainer is not a replacement for a pot
>>49550920
What lists? Mardu Nahirifest? it does not even have access to the best emrakul version Soldiers? Just splash green for CoCo anyways Mill? Aka loose when decks that are designed to topdeck blindly for value topdecks something blindly for value. UW control? did you mean conditional answers that i can only cast 2 turns after they are necessary? Or do you mean Atarka-i-automatically-lost-when-they-stabilize red?
>>
Give me a real reason to play this format other than poorfags can access it. I'll wait
>>
>>49551198
I'll be honest, I really like this format, but there's not a real reason to play it over other formats. Yet. There's not going to be support for at least another month, and even then, it'll be very small.

However, I do think that Wizards will eventually support this format. Staples and strong cards are cheap and plentiful right now, and you can easily pick them up.

I slso don't think Frontier will be as bad as some people think. There are plenty of viable decks right off the bat, and that's without taking Coco into account.
>>
>>49550951
Alright then, let's try and rebut every negative post in this thread:

>You're all just poorfags

Any format that's easy to access and therefore have more people to play with is fine by me.

>People who are too dumb to play modern

There are of course a lot more complex interactions in Modern, and it'd obvious to say that Standard is easier to grasp. What's wrong with trying to make an updated version of Modern that follows the principals laid out in Standard?

>It's just creature slamming

A lot of people prefer the back and forth of midrange matchups. There's no problem with that. And as the brews have shown, it's not that Control and Aggro decks can't exist in the format. Rabble red was a mental deck back in old standard and this format can bring it and other aggro decks new light. Plus having access to Dig will certainly help control (Don't pretend it won't. DTT was a control staple throughout it's time in standard, despite the lack of solid counter magic.) Heck even the old Jeskai Tokens deck will get to use Cruise like it can't do in modern.

>Everything is gonna be CoCo

This is probably the only one that i almost agree with. Bant company was a very dominant deck in standard. Spell Queller and Reflector Mage really push it over the top. But arguing that new sets won't change the meta to try new things against CoCo is like arguing that every set after Mirrodin block did nothing against affinity. New decks come out, even if the base is pretty small.

>There isn't even Combo

When was the last time you saw an actual full blown combo deck in standard that didn't require four colours and a nut draw? People who like to play technical combo decks have Modern and Legacy that appeal to them. People who like to do dumb shit like Harmless Offering/Demonic Pact can use that as a viable strategy in Frontier. The problem with modern is that people who enjoy funny combos like Donate are hated out of the format.

Cont.
>>
>>49551361
Cont:

>It's only gonna be midrange.

See previous comments. It's not only gonna be Midrange, as you've said, CoCo and Atarka Red are well known decks that are also gonna be a thing, plus Control, Jund and Ramp decks will also be viable without any land hate bar Crumble to Dust. Then we have Superfriends, Delerium, Abzan, Emerge varients, Eldrazi.dec, Dragon.dec, Sultai "Dredge" (Can't even call it that without cringing a bit... Prized Amalgum does not a dredge deck make.), Tribal Zombies, Tribal Humans, White Weenie, Token strategies... And these are just things i'm remembering from the past couple of years of standard. To say it's just gonna be Midrange and CoCo kinda shows your ignorance to how standard has been since M15.

>You don't even have X

The people who are hyped about this really don't have a problem with that. No Bolt? We're cool with Lightning Strike. Path? Declaration in Stone sorts us out fine. No Tron lands? It's okay, we'll ramp the old fashioned way: Mana dorks and ramp spells. No Mana leak? Oh no, what a shame that we can actually cast our more expensive spells without having to worry about shit like that (Sure, Disdainful stroke is still a thing, but that can't counter your early drops. Mana leak just doesn't care about your feelings.)

How about Snapcaster, Liliana, Goyf? We have cheaper varients! No Wrath of God/Supreme Verdict? We don't really care that much, Fumigate and Languish we can settle for. No Serum visions? We're getting new scry shit all the time now. Serum visions isn't the be all and end all where we're going.

We're excited to try a new format that isn't just "Why bother playng this? It will just lose to X" for every brew we come up with. It's fun for standard players to think that they have access to an eternal format that not only doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but uses a pool of cards that most of them have actually used as they were only printed recently.

TL;DR: We're having fun. Stop shitting on our fun.
>>
>>49549848
>no tempo
>implying spell queller and his friends aren't all about tempo plays.
>>
>>49550306
>Combo is non existent.
>what is Rally
>>
>>49551528
>We're excited to try a new format that isn't just "Why bother playng this? It will just lose to X" for every brew we come up with
This is exactly what will happen. It's baffling that you can't see this. No matter what, some cards will be better and push others out.

>lightning strike, declaration in stone

I just don't get why you're so eager to play with bad variants of existing cards when there is no positive trade off. It's not like this format will offer more than the others. In fact, it will offer less
>>
>>49551361
>>49551528
you could technically say that become immense/battle rage was a combo deck disguised as an aggro deck
>tfw doming people for 30 damage

Also, honestly, the two most dominate standard decks in recent memory would both be (mostly) legal in this set, and I think that it would be cool to see a full on brawl between Abzan and Bant company.
>>
>>49551594
>3 cmc
You know nothing about tempo.

>>49551644
It's one deck. It's not even good either
>>
File: r8my deck m8s.png (22KB, 346x773px) Image search: [Google]
r8my deck m8s.png
22KB, 346x773px
Cool and original deck.dek
>>
>>49551687

>Unsubstantiate
>Reflector Mage
>Mausoleum Wanderer
>implying these aren't tempo plays.
>but... flipping delver and spamming remand are the only viable strategies!
>>
>>49551720

Rabblemaster/Become immense don't go well with Abbot. Also why no titan's strength?
>>
>>49551933
Just keep showing your ignorance
>>
>>49551666
Whereas playing the same thing in Modern is okay? Of course some cards are always gonna end up being better than others. In a format that would have access to three 3WW wrath effects designed for different circumstances, perhaps there are situations where Auras or Equipment become a serious thing in the meta and suddenly End Hostilities becomes a better choice than Fumigate. Wild Slash can hit players but Fiery Temper can hit a creature for an extra damage. Which is more worthwhile?

Same with your "bad varients" argument. The thing about Standard players is we've always made do with what we're given and it helps us come up with more interesting ways of dealing with stuff than in Modern/Legacy, where you literally have the best things that you can at any given time. That's fine for some players, knowing that you have to forever look out for the bolt of the FoW, but i actually have a real laugh getting blown out by decks that i don't expect, and love taking people down with Jank rares they weren't prepped for. I can satisfy this to an extent with modern Jund, for sure, but my opponents are always going to be playing the same linear strategies and as soon as i see turn 1 Fetch, Breeding Pool, Glistener Elf, i know that i have to spend all of my focus on killing that prick before i could just lose out of nowhere next turn. If it's turn 1 fetch, Ghost Quarter/Blood Crypt/Tomb, Thoughtseize, i know that i have to avoid my life total hitting 3 without dying to Rhino or Bolt. If i see turn 1 fetch/shock/goblin guide, i know that i have to shit out blockers or draw life gain otherwise i'm just dead. And this kind of gameplay isn't a bad thing, it's more intense and it's good to know exactly what to prepare for.

The thing i've just enjoyed about Standard is winning with/losing to Jank rares nobody was prepared for. That's always been my angle of play, one up the meta and catch them unawares, and doing that is much harder in Modern/Legacy than Standard/Frontier
>>
File: Untitled.png (31KB, 927x411px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31KB, 927x411px
Any suggestions for my Rally list?
>>
>>49552097
Filigree Familliar for sure. Love that little guy.
>>
>>49548628
If this went as far back as Theros I would play Mono Black Devotion forevermore.
>Thoughtseize
>Duress
>Lilly the Last Hope
>Murder
>Grasp of Darkness
>Drown in Sorrow
>Whip of Erebos
>Fleshbag Marauder
>Merciless Executioner
>Languish
>Gray Merchant of Asphodel

donttazemebro.dck
>>
>>49552301
Honestly i'd love to go back to my Dragonlord Atarka/Whip of Erebos brew i was rocking standard with for a while, but if it means keeping Thoughtseize out of the format i can settle for losing my Whip.
>>
>>49549283
I have 5 decks because muh variety, but Legacy really is Miracles the format.
I play 5-rounders twice a month and despite the tornout being a solid 30-36 players, and not always the same players either, I haven't played a tournament in at least these past four years where I didn't face Miracles two to four times.
>>
File: yutdrytuybnfdf.jpg (39KB, 303x397px) Image search: [Google]
yutdrytuybnfdf.jpg
39KB, 303x397px
>>49552301
If it went as far back as Scars, I would use my card-fu again.
>>
>>49550355
Did you click the wrong window trying to shitpost the Modern general?
>>
>>49551198
The banlist wouldn't be managed by WotC for the time beign.
>>
>>49551968
I forgot it'd be legal! thanks for reminding me. Should i lower the # of rabblemasters?
>>
File: builttosmash.jpg (56KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
builttosmash.jpg
56KB, 265x370px
>>49551968
also I realized there's a better card now.
>>
File: r8my deck m8s.png (23KB, 346x702px) Image search: [Google]
r8my deck m8s.png
23KB, 346x702px
okay a lot of these are experiments but I think this is a better version.
>>
>>49551988

Oh, now I understand. Don't worry anon, it's not your fault you were born autistic.
>>
>>49552097

>no flip liliana
>no hangarback

why anon, why?
>>
>>49552505

I would be more willing to replace 2 abbots with something else.
>>
>>49546156

Fucking Dungeon Dice Monsters sounds more fun than this
>>
3 Monastery Swiftspear
1 Ultimate Price
3 Duress
2 Mardu Charm
3 Kolaghan's Command
3 Lightning Strike
3 Swords to Plowshares
2 Murderous Cut
3 Raise the Alarm
3 Hordeling Outburst
2 Dragon Fodder
4 Monastery Mentor
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Butcher of the Horde
3 Bloodstained Mire
1 Scoured Barrens
1 Mountain
3 Shambling Vent
2 Battlefield Forge
2 Nomad Outpost
2 Plains
1 Smoldering Marsh
2 Caves of Koilos
1 Bloodfell Caves
1 Wind-Scarred Crag

Here is a mardu list Ihave put together, missing 3 cards. Help with the manabase would be nice as i just chucked it together to have a quick test.

I could add secure the wastes to the deck, considering removing swiftspear for a cheap spell, or maybe some draw cards.
>>
>>49546697
crackling doom
murder (?)
noxious gearhulk
languish
>>
>>49537083
considering modern is garbage, neo modern makes you lot look almost as good as the other eternalfags in comparison.
they literally did this so they don't need to worry bout most of the the good cards in modern since they will be auto-banned.
>>
>>49550914
You probably should be dabbing, you sound like you have anxiety.
>>
This sounds like a scheme for retailors to keep prices up on cards post rotation.
>>
>>49553320
>I'm wrong.
>better post something about autism
>>
>>49553830
Fucking this. Thank you
>>
Ban fetchlands.
What's the fucking point otherwise?
>>
>>49547458
>Shit, how do we sell all these Conflux, Morningtide, and Cold snap cards?
>What do you mean and modern didn't even take off in Europe due to supply issues, meaning oversupplied cards like horizon canopy are worth more than half of they are in the USA?
>What do you mean players want to play constructed magic without paying $100 per card and instead use their actual collections?
>>
>>49550587
This is really the only real way to view this new format announcement, anything else is jealousy and or autism
>>
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Seeker of the Way
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Treasure Cruise
4 Lightning Strike
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Jeskai Ascendancy
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Secure the Wastes

Probaly add black for something since it's so easy. Maybe dtt I dunno. Most fun standard deck of the past several years.
>>
dammit, why does theros have to be cucked out of this? If it wasn't I could just play my Sultai Control brew from THS/KTK standard, it's the only brew I ever got to work.
>>
>>49555878
I know your feel anon. Abzan aggro will never be the same without fleecemane lion
>>
File: 54.jpg (70KB, 312x445px)
54.jpg
70KB, 312x445px
I dont know where I'm going, but I really liked using pic related. Maybe some vehicle memery?
>>
>>49556224
You turn on autopilot on your vehicles but leave them open to sorcery removals. The servos are better targets unless the vehicle creature effects are worth turning off their built in evasion
>>
4 (or even 5) color human tribal

Y/N
>>
>>49556902
no vehicles need to be crewed to be artifact creatures. That being said, I think ensoul would just overwrite the power and toughness printed on the vehicle and now crewing is optional. Pretty good with the cheaper vehicles.
>>
Warriors gets to come back!

WAAARRIORSSSS
>>
File: 1474959732593.jpg (91KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1474959732593.jpg
91KB, 960x960px
So I got a really fucking stupid idea of Jeskai Artifacts, let me know how bad it is

4x Toolcraft Exemplar
4x Inventor's Apprentice
2x Combustible Gearhulk
4x Renowned Weaponsmith
4x Weapons Trainer
3x Hangarback Walker
3x Orinthopter
4x Shrapnel Blast
4x Built to Smash
2x Voidshatter
1x Scatter to the Winds
4x Bone Saw
3x Silkwrap
4x Polluted Delta
4x Flooded Strand
2x Prairie Stream
4x Inspiring Vantage
4x Spirebluff Canal
>>
>>49557414
COME OUT TO PLAAAAYAAY
>>
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Collateral Damage (FRF)
4x Dragon Fodder
4x Foundry Street Denizen (M15)
1x Frenzied Goblin
2x Goblin Heelcutter
4x Hordeling Outburst
1x Lightning Beserker
4x Lightning Strike (M15)
2x Mardu Scout
4x Monastery Swiftspear (KTK)
11x Mountain (DTK)
4x Stoke the Flames (M15)
4x Wild Slash
4x Wooded Foothills
3x Zurgo Bellstriker
>>
Brewing GW hate bears

2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
2 Hushwing Gryff
3 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Elvish Mystic
3 Authority of the Consuls
3 Mardu Woe-Reaper
4 Sylvan Advocate
3 Den Protector
2 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Silkwrap
2 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Dromoka's Command
3 Devouring Light
4 Collected Company
3 Fortified Village
3 Forest
2 Wooded Foothills
4 Plains
4 Windswept Heath
4 Canopy Vista
2 Flooded Strand
>>
>>49556224
>>49557734

M15 gives us Darksteel Citadel. You're welcome.
>>
>>49558435
>Darksteel Citadel is in Magic 2015

I feel like a goddamn idiot for not remembering that
>>
File: 1421622380040.jpg (66KB, 486x485px) Image search: [Google]
1421622380040.jpg
66KB, 486x485px
>>49554337
>crying about Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds
>>
>>49553830
>>49554280
We've been posting about this since the format was announced. Where have you been?

All it means is pennies will be spent on real cards with no value in any other format instead of those same pennies being spent on chinaman fakes.
>>
>>49558554
As such i've been thinking you could maybe play Eldrazi/Artifacts seeing as we also have Wastes being fetchable by Evolving Wilds. If you're playing lots of colourless lands (Shivan Reef, Darksteel Citadel), may as well play some cards that are colourless specific for value, even if only SB. Thought Nazi is always good for more midrangey matchups, whereas you could always just curve up to Smasher.
>>
>>49558554
Oh shit, we can bring back RW Ensoul from M15/Origins Standard. Fucking HYPE.
>>
>>49558556
Who are you quoting? That man is very clearly complaining about the fetchlands from KTK.
>>
>>49556224
Do you really need to ask? Use clues, silly.
>>
>>49537083
>Being created due to how expensive Modern is and supply issues

Did people forget Khans-era standard prices?

Won't the cards just become expensive years down the line due to a lack of supply?
>>
>>49558940

you mean like how modern was originally made to solve legacy price and reprint issues, and eventually became expensive due to supply vs demand?

eternal formats are a cycle now too, anon. they just created a pattern by doing something a second time for the exact same reason.
>>
>>49559048
why not just have another extended format then that rotates every few years?
>>
>>49558940
Japs don't have any problem with prices, but they do have problems with distribution that's why Modern is getting hate over there.
>>
>>49559081

because they probably want to market it as a nonrotating format so people won't feel like they ever lose their card's value or playability, even though they will still try and get people to jump ship to the newest cards when they cycle to the even newer new nonrotating format. but don't ask me, ask WotC.
>>
>>49559133
Basically this.
All of you poorfags misunderstand why they did this. They're fucking rich. They have the biggest population of vintage/legacy players. They only hate modern because throwing money at stores isn't going to get them the cards they needed because the supply of the cards just isn't enough..
>>
>>49556044
Fucking this exactly, the only reason Im not excited for Frontier is because I have to cut FML from my Abzan deck.
>>
>poor fags make new format
>shit blocks with weak power levels
>4-color decks dominated by Khans fetches and BFZ dual lands
>if format becomes big it will be just as expensive
>puts strain on other formats for wanted cards

This seems fucking stupid.
>>
>>49537083
>GW Goodstuff
>4C Rally
>CoCo
>RDW
>Jeskai

Whats the most cancerous deck that could be built in this format?
>>
You poor fags are retarded.

This format was made to sell bad cards to idiots. That is all.
>>
>>49537083

can a good temur midrange deck be built?
>>
>>49559666

There's no mete right not, so I guess it's possible. Especially as a form of temur emerge.
>>
>>49559358

G/B delirium comes close I think. Also abzan powered by the new cards.
>>
Come on guys. Need help with Mardu.
Going for the token strategy to chump block and pick of small damage and then swing big with either butcher of the horde or westvale Abbey.

Any suggestions on some decent 1 or 2 drops?
What creatures do you recommend?
>>
>>49560449
Are you running dragon fodder / raise the alarm? A decklist would help...
>>
>>49553761
>>49560491

Here it is. Made some changes. Added some more cheap removal, asylum visitor for the draw.

Stuck between kolaghan, storms fury or butcher of the horde.
>>
>>49550355
I dunno, what was it like posting here?
>>
>>49560449

hanweir garrison.
>>
>>49550469
Why the legacy pick? Vintage was sweet, but the pick for Frontier was 10/10
>>
>>49561089
Thanks for reconfirming. I thought I could use him. If so maybe Mardu humans might be better. Both hanweirs, Thalia lieutenant and a bunch of removal.
>>
dead thread
dead format
sell your remaining jaces and rhinos to these desperate poorfags asap
>>
>>49547084
>this
>vryn wingmare
>newthalia
I'm making dnt work.
>>
>>49547924
>legacy is miracles
Let's keep it that way.
t. 12 post player.
>>
>>49537171
Modern starting at the border change was a "Fuck it, why not?" decision. Wizards are intent on forcing their fucking awful "Gatewatch" on people though, so it would make sense to start from Origins, the beginning of the Gatewatch. This also means they can exclude fetchlands, delve, Meme Rhino, and Company from the format.
>>
>>49547924
t. literal poorfag
>>
>>49547924
>Standard is durrdle the format
Correct
>Modern is Aggro the format.
More like uninteractivity
>Legacy is Miracles the format.
Yeah apart from how most T1 decks spit on Miracles
>Pauper is literal poorfags.
Bad argument. Pauper is the best format for lots of reasons
>EDH/Commander is UGx the format.
Actually correct
>Draft is for people who actually want to play.
Play what? Your bomb rares that win you the draft on their own?
>Sealed is for babies.
See above
>>
>>49561125
Underground sea
>>
>>49550914
real dabbing would probably do you good. Sharing is caring.
>>
>>49562849
So what's wrong with another "Fuck it, why not? Decision with using the newest border for consistancy?

Also mfw Modern could have just been started form Onslaught to have all 10 fetches in immediately.
>>
Is it alright to talk about standard here since there's no thread for it?
>>
>>49563888
Only if relevant to frontier. Whatever you're brewing better have fetch lands otherwise gtfo.
>>
>>49547243

Problem with pic related is that enemy color fixing in this format blows total ass.
>>
>>49563850
Starting at Origins would probably be more healthier to the meta in the longterm. Even in modern the decision to include 8th and 9th edition is questionable at best, since cards like the Tronlands, Blood Moon, Choke, Ensnaring Bridge, etc. Is really out of line with Modern Magic's design philosophy.

Yea starting at Origins while excluding the Khans block would make the card pool even smaller (which is why its way too soon to make this format in the first place). But fetchlands goes against one of the objectives of the format, and Rhino and Coco cause problems for deck diversity.
>>
>>49563963

Starting at origins means "enjoy yet another format of GBx goodstuff, this time delirium rock edition"
>>
>>49564106
As opposed to *insert color combination here* Coco, the format?
>>
>>49559244
What do you plan to replace it with?
>>
>>49559048
Everything is solely wizards fault
All hail our chinamen counterfeiters saviors
Thread posts: 209
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.