[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I see so much discussion of Pathfinder and D&D editions but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: WHFRP.png (298KB, 700x240px) Image search: [Google]
WHFRP.png
298KB, 700x240px
I see so much discussion of Pathfinder and D&D editions but I see very little about Warhammer Fantasy RP. I'm interested about getting into it and I don't know too much about it. Should I go with 2nd or 3rd ed.? Whats the general style of game?
>>
2nd ED is fairly similar to the 40k rpgs and pretty good if you don't mind dying.

I haven't played 3rd ED, but from reading the rulebook, it seems like a lot of unnessecary bookeeping due to vidya-style cooldowns on everything. It's dice mechanic is a more indepth version of the FFG Star Wars RPGs.
>>
>>49537286
I did play a half-session of the 3rd Edition. It was fun, but it did seem too gimmicky, and I was flipping everything over all the time and going through the cards, trying to figure out where to use this or that...
>>
>>49536200
2e is a good game with easy to learn rules, many people tweak some things (mainly magic) but I like it as is
3e is the prototype to ffg's Star Wars, tweak it to be like star wars (dunno if it works, i know some things got changed, not how much) and it's good, I heard the system as is isn't very fun
>>
>>49537821
It is true that a lot of the ideas that were part of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition were recycled into Star Wars. However, FFG Star Wars is a vast improvement and really feels like an RPG. WFRP 3e feels like a clunky pseudo-board game.
>>
>>49536200
1E or 2E. 2E if you like the later editions (4+) of WFB. 1E if you like it more gritty.
>>
>>49536200
2e.

The style of the game, if you're playing the SPIRIT of the game, and not just what you CAN do is to start out with a group of travelers from disparate backgrounds (and specifically, at least half, if not more, of them from non-martial backgrounds, like Boatman, Rat Catcher, and Student).

You throw them into an early and easy adventure (you can even pull from 1e for something like this, for example, The Enemy Within campaign, which pits your adventurers against... some wounded mutants and a bounty hunter). They can gain experience and gather armor from there.

In addition, you focus early on mysteries and the fact that most people in the Old World see shit like Skaven and active demons as superstitions and wonk. Like CoC, you let your players play detective and gain money and experience to better arm themselves.

Why start with these things? Because the system's incredibly lethal. And the Warhammer world is tailored for cults and mysteries. So they go hand in hand.

Enemy Within (one of the best roleplaying campaigns ever, D&D or otherwise) doesn't even have a proper "dungeon crawl" in the first few Adventure Modules.
>>
>>49538425
The problem with enemy within is , that it heavily relies on railroading.
If the players don't follow some viral plot hook the whole adventure is screwed.
>>
2e is great with a wide selection of careers to go through to help flesh out your character. Sure it's hard but you gotta remember you are an average bloke in a world of pain. outnumbering and using your head will get you through most fights unless you are at 0 fate points or get a juicy Ulric in your head.
>>
>>49538577
You can tell them that beforehand.
>>
>>49538425
>Enemy Within (one of the best roleplaying campaigns ever, D&D or otherwise) doesn't even have a proper "dungeon crawl" in the first few Adventure Modules.
What's so great about it?
>>
>>49536200
There's a very good (going off of the early access PDFs) retroclone of WFRPG coming out soon called Zweihander - its kickstarter finished last month, and because it was literally just for printing costs the books should be shipping by mid-october. Once I get home I can upload my copy of the PDF if anyone's interested
>>
>>49540130

Please do. I followed the betas, but missed the kickstarter due to financial shenanigans.
>>
>>49539664
I don't know. I just google "Enemy Within" and everyone is raving about, Shadow over Bogenhafen, Death on the Reik, and Power Behind the Throne (the first three parts).
>>
>>49539664
It's very much based on roleplaying with a few nasty fights than a straight dungeon-crawler. It gets deep into the setting and evocative characters try to kill you.

And you get a boat.
>>
>>49536200
>Whats the general style of game?
Brutal fantasy rennaissance with some lighthearted silliness
>>
I wanna make a improvised weapon character work in wfrp 2e, what career or path would be best for this? I know improvised weapons is shit and don't expect the character to live long.
>>
File: WFRP.jpg (42KB, 480x169px) Image search: [Google]
WFRP.jpg
42KB, 480x169px
>>49541899
Not that anon, but here's a beta copy.
filedropper

[slash] showdownload [dot] php [slash] grimdarkeditionpdfbeta
>>
>>49547179
>grimdarkeditionpdfbeta

Ta anon. Hopefully other Anon comes in too. I'm a completist prig like that.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.